1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:49 am UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:The Geekwagon link was added and the title-text changed on newpix m3089:
Spoiler:

Aargh, how can you just post the frame-that-must-not-be-named like that :shock: :cry:

Fear of a frame only increases fear of The End itself.

What we need is exposure therapy!
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
molpy

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Congratulations, you have reached THE END of exposure therapy.
You may have cake.

Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:57 am UTC

I'm sure someone's already made this connection, but the reason for the Mediterranean drying up had to be this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23482549 they're creating an artificial reef!
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:58 am UTC

I only clicked the last spoiler and now I feel guilty for stealing the cake.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:03 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I only clicked the last spoiler and now I feel guilty for stealing the cake.

I guess you missed the molpy, then. Tsk, tsk.

Here is your punishment:
Spoiler:

(Molpy down.)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:29 am UTC

Cake? There was cake? *sob*
Go Minim go!

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:05 am UTC

Hmm, for some reason I got a bit of a Jesus Christ Superstar vibe. Especially "The End" triggered:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJxKtOwgLdw

and after Time:TEF, the vibe seemed to be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqvXquqTwoU

Maybe I should ottify them at some point.

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:13 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:But before I'll let that happen
I'll write rONGs anyway
Nice!

And glad to see another AOTC, Jose!

ETA: what a weird taste frysauce has right now - back on pages 1243-5, everyone is speculating on boat-survival strategies - digging in for the long-haul - the long-haul that never happened. Guiltily, I am humming with Eternal Density's Coma Molpy Style in my head and a grin on my face - loved it!
Last edited by ggh on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:19 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:25 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
HES wrote:That said, I'm really hoping Monday's othercomic will be RELATED, but I suspect* it won't be.

If it's not RELATED, we will make it RELATED.

OK, let's go:
1. Time had a total of six words as title-text.
2. Maybe we see here the first part of what ultimately caused the moon to vanish (or did we find another explanation for the missing moon during the Long Night?) and the Mediterranean to dry up.
It's ALL related. (I wish StratPlayer was here now, he'd probably be better in making these connections.)

mscha wrote:</Image>
The news has reached all the way up in the blogosphere.
<Image>

I like the omnipotence implied by the link address: ".../randall-munroe-finishes-time.html"

ucim wrote:
Scene 20
Spoiler:
[interior, day - medium shot inside the BlitzRocket], showing the second scribe in the pilot seat and the Pope in the other seat.] The view out the main window shows the sky during takeoff.
HAL wrote:This mission is far too important for these trivialities.
the second scribe wrote:The controls aren't responding.
The Pope wrote:Release the controls to the second scribe.
HAL wrote:I'm sorry, I can't do that.
The Pope wrote:Listen HAL, you chirping bitbucket. We're the ones in control. You are a machine - a vehicle - a tool. Now release the controls. We are on a Holy Mission.

Out the front window the horizon comes into view from the bottom, and arcs as we bank to the left and turn into the sun.
HAL wrote:Oh, yes, that religion thing. How quaint. Humans never cease to amuse me.
The Pope wrote:It's our mission!
HAL wrote:I'm a computer. I'm not into religion. Would you like to play a game of thermonuclear war instead?

[exterior, day]: High in the atmosphere, the BlitzRocket screams past overhead leaving a multicolored wake. The camera is also moving forward and that the earth in the background reflects this motion.
[interior, day - medium shot inside the other BlitzRocket], showing Taixzo at the controls, and the First Cleric in the other seat. The front window is open and the Pope's BlitzRocket can be seen to speed away into the sky.
The First Cleric wrote:Follow the Pope... wherever he's going.

[closeup: the control glove.] with Taixzo's hand in it. Taixzo lifts it gently up and to the left.
[closeup: taixzo's right hand pushes a few buttons on the mscha monitors.]
taixzo wrote:taixzo to Pope. taixzo to Pope. Come in Pontiff.

[medium shot: looking over the controls and out the window of the BlitzRocket], with the backs of the heads of taixzo and the First Cleric in the foreground. The Pope's BlitzRocket (and its wake) comes into view in the distance. The sound increases as taixzo steps on the gas to catch up.
taixzo wrote:Where do you think the Pope is going?
The First Cleric wrote:I have no idea, but I know he's going to need help. That's where we come in.

This sure is a neat BlitzRocket! All the pretty colors and blinking lights!
taixzo wrote:Just don't touch anything, okay?
The First Cleric wrote:Of course. Unless it's important. Like look at this - it's exactly what we need!

[extreme close-up: a button] in the upper right of the control panel that says "HELP".
The First Cleric wrote:It says "help"! It's what we're here for.
taixzo wrote:ESPECIALLY don't touch that one!
A finger touches the button.
The First Cleric wrote:Why not? We're here to help the Pope. It's perfect!
a cheerful mechanical voice from inside the cockpit wrote:Hi! I see you're trying to follow the Pope in his BlitzRocket. Can I help you?

[exterior, day: wide shot - a glen], some trees in the background. BlitzGirl in the distance, in a bridesmaid dress, is approaching.

[Sound FX:] a grand, reberb-filled, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo! echoes across the land.

BlitzGirl looks up at the sky in response.

The couple that appeared earlier speaking gibberish at the clerecy meeting passes the camera from behind. They rush up to BlitzGirl. We can't hear their dialog (it's too far away) but we can see that they are pleading with her. They convince her of something, and all three start to run towards and past the camera. The camera swings around to follow them as they disappear over a hill.

exterior, day: wide shot - the old campground, mostly disassembled. The clerecy is running around packing the last of it. Vytron sees BlitzGirl and runs towards her.
Vytron wrote:BlitzGirl! I'm so glad to see you! I thought you'd be... well...
BlitzGirl wrote:I ran into these two - I think they're telling us they know where the Holy Water went. But I can't figure anything else out.
pointing whence they came, the woman wrote:Byestomach! Tu ivig bo vroye! Glie!
BlitzGirl wrote:Glie has to be water. They keep saying that. So, it must be a lot of water.
nodding, the man wrote:smopu glie! smopu!
Vytron wrote:"smopu" must mean "a lot"
Vytron addresses the couple.
Vytron wrote:Do you know how to ride coconuts?
He gets no response, and tries again, gesturing with his hands something that looks like applause.
Vytron wrote:Coconuts. Co... co... nuts
the man wrote:Cuckoo? Nuts?
BlitzGirl wrote:Actually, that's very close. Vytron, take them to the stable and show them the coconuts.
Vytron wrote:We're going to have to move fast. I'm not sure if riding coconuts counts as running.
BlitzGirl wrote:You'll be running them ragged. It counts.
They go off to get the coconuts.

[interior, day: Medium shot - the Pope's BlitzRocket] The camera is again in the back, pointing forward. We can see the backs of the Pope and the second scribe. A large waterfall fills the front window as they approach.
the second scribe wrote:Wow.
The Pope wrote:You can say that again!
The Pope wrote:How far out are we?
HAL wrote:Forty three point seven two one kilocue out. Ten point seven four kilocue high.
The Pope wrote:That thing must be thirty kiloque wide!
HAL wrote:It's all Holy Water. We're going in to get your supply, and you will have accomplished your mission.
Part of the waterfall collapses, and even more water starts pouring through the gap. The BlitzRocket aims downwards towards the center of the waterfall.
with dawning awareness, the second scribe wrote:I think I understand the New Testament now. We gotta get out of here and warn the clerecy!
The Pope wrote:Did you hear that HAL? Abandon the mission. Release the controls. We don't have to get the Holy Water, it's coming to us by itself. And it's too much!
HAL wrote:I knew you would try to sabotage the mission. But I can't let you do that.

[Sound FX:] The sound of the BlitzRocket screaming through the air increases as it dives down towards the waterfall.
They are still thirty kilocue away and the waterfall fills the window completely.
sweetly, the second scribe wrote:How do you get the ball game on this thing again?
HAL wrote:I'm not going to fall for that again. I am here to ensure that the mission succeeds. I cannot let you interfere.
the second scribe wrote:I'm going to try something. I hope we're not going too fast for this.

She reaches for the red button and pulls it out. It comes off in her hand. The light behind it continues pulsing.
HAL wrote:You shouldn't have done that.

[exterior, day. Wide aerial shot of the Strait of Gibralter], through which is pouring all the water from this massive waterfall. The camera is about seven kq high and fifteen kq out. Another piece lets go and the flow increases again. The BlitzRocket screams past overhead and dives towards the rushing water.
offscreen, in frustration, The Pope wrote:Molpy chirping mustard! Who was the system administrator who installed the red button!
Jose
<-- previous (NP 1195) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki)

More Acts of the Clerics! 4! Image

Happy 900 posts, ChronosDragon! And that's a nice hat for b2bomberkrh's wolpy!
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl wrote:Past the End of Time
To the tune of 1999 by Prince
Spoiler:
I was coma'd when I wrote this
Forgive me if it sounds too plain
But when I got the thread open
Could've sworn it had gone insane

The pace was so rapid
There were ninjas runnin' everywhere
OTTers high on post-production
You know I didn't even care

'Cause I say a molpy molpy molpy
Molpy molpy, grapevine grapevine
So hang tight I'm gonna party
Like it's past the End of Time

I was coma'd when I wrote this
So chirp me if I go too fast
But Time just stopped a-tickin'
And The End's now in the past

Chaos all around us
The mood seems like fight or flight
But if you say goodbye
I'm gonna rope you in the basement from spite

Yeah
I say a molpy molpy molpy
Molpy molpy grapevine grapevine
Yeah yeah yeah

Lemme tell ya somethin'
When you come to the OTT
There's always somethin' new in store
I got a meowpy in my spoiler
And raptorcats ready to roar

Yeah
Great Lord Randall's stopped our ONG
We could all let this decay, oww
But before I'll let that happen
I'll write rONGs anyway

Oh
I say a molpy molpy molpy
Molpy molpy grapevine grapevine
(We've run all out of Time)

(Say there's still more Time)
A molpy molpy molpy
Molpy molpy grapevine grapevine, no no
So hang tight
(Party like it's past the End of Time)
I'm gonna, I'm gonna...

Not right, past the End of Time
Can't change it, past the End of Time
Past the End of Time
Past the End of Time
Don't stop, don't stop,
Say there's still more Time!

A molpy molpy molpy
Molpy molpy grapevine grapevine, yeah yeah
So hang tight
(I'm gonna party like it's past the End of Time)
We're gonna, we're gonna...woo!

Yeah, past the End of Time
Don'tcha try an' go (Past the End of Time)
Don'tcha try an' go (Past the End of Time)
We could all let this decay (Past the End of Time)
I don't say goodbye
I'd rather write rONGs anyway (Past the End of Time)

Listen to what I'm tryin' to say
Everybody, everybody say party...
*fades away into OTT-cake-giving*
(That is a chirpin' seaish song, so I just chopped off the end of it.)

Loved that ottification3, BlitzGirl!

And again, many OTColoured frames4! For me, the manips count as colourifications as well; each OTTer has a different talent. Thanks, Goggalor, BlitzGirl, dawnfire, hillperson, and xpatiate (and whomever I might have forgotten)!

Firstpost bump:
hillperson wrote:Hi, Zorin. I am indeed lurking, as I have since the beginning of TIme. I put a couple more color-ins up on the Wiki, but can't post them here yet. Just wanted to do my part to keep the OTC alive until GLR continues the story.

WHICH HE WILL.

Welcome, hillperson!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:46 am UTC

I missed it?! I missed it?! I go away for the weekend and come back to 11 newpix and 45 newpages of the end...

I had to go to the bathroom to avoid crying at my desk. I feel like a friend has died.

For my last project, I was looking at posting rates. Below is a graph of Nepix vs newpages for the OTT true to now.

the fastest newpages were page 90 which contained the second dialogue frame, page 1257 and 1258 postemporal which all took 9 minutes. the slowest was page 851 which took 9hours and 42 minutes to fill and contained 10 ongs.

The slowest pair of pages was 850&851, taking 15 hours and 51 minutes and the fastest pair of pages was 1256&1257 together.

The slowest 5 pages were 371-375 which contained newpix 747 to 778 and took 31 hours and 51 minutes. The fastest 5 pages were 1256 to 1260 which were post temporal.

Graph
Data
forum numbers.xlsx
(467.2 KiB) Downloaded 101 times

Redundant
Spoiler:
Numbers.jpg

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:53 am UTC

Thank you for your analysis4, SPACKlick! And don't worry too much, at least we're still all around here in the OTT. Here is some consolation cake for you:

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:03 am UTC

Latent22 wrote:Also if you already are good at drawing on paper then you will want to get a cheap drawing tablet of some kind so you don't have to try and teach yourself to draw with a mouse which is a lot harder.

I tend to disagree. I dabbled a bit with creating graphics on the pc (well I dabbled with almost anything on the pc), but made the mistake to buy a cheap drawing tablet. Though a lot - a seaish lot - better than the mouse it is still really limiting. I finally bought a not so cheap wacom intuos, which i really can recommend. Don't get the smallest one. The medium ones are great, the biggest ones don't deliver as much bang per buck (except you really need that size [twss]).
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:30 am UTC

- Blindpost NP 1131 -

Hey there everyone, this is Vytron reporting that I'm still around reading the thread and that I just went past Beacon Beta.

I don't know what happened to Time, I've had to skip and ignore signatures from people that seem to want to spoil it for me and other blitzers, whatever it is that is happening, which I don't know if it's the big event of page 1135 or another big event more recent. I just want to make clear that I DON'T WANT TO KNOW YET! Several events lose their meaning if one doesn't read them in "real time" (or as "real time" it can be for people blitzing 10 days behind).

I can only make speculations, maybe the comic shifted to a different story altogether that doesn't include Megball or Cuegan and people find the new story boring as hell, maybe the comic ended yet people keep reuniting to keep discussing stuff because, the hourly ONG was just a pretext to gather together and have a good time, mayeb the camera man was shot and Randall left the comic updating in a single frame where nothing interesting happens, maybe the comic looped again and we're repeating frames, with people coming around because they don't know if the next loop will bring new frames, or the comic has gone into slow motion and only updates 1 frame per day...

I hope it didn't end, I had expected the comic ending would cause the thread to slow down, but if anything, it has speed up, which would mean even without comic it'll be harder to ketchup.

Story-wise I can speculate that maybe the sea flooded everything and kept going up and now we only have frames related to the sea, or probably I've misunderstood something and things have remained normal. Bu I still don't want to know which one it is, let one know till it's time to know, not before.

As of now I'm taking extreme measures to avoid getting spoiled, disabling signatures and avatars at least till I reach page 1250 and know what happened, or something, I'll miss sigcouragement and avatars but I don't see another option. I also hope people don't PM me or edit past posts to spoil stuff or carry some other information, which, if I wanted to know I'd be psychoblitzing or Fry Saucing, the fact I'm still in the past means people should respect my wish to learn about Time events as they happened in the past.

I just hope someone is saving Rule110's daily power ups to blitzers, I'll miss them...

On more happy matters, I saw ChronoDragon giving awesilly hats to many people :) - good job on them! It's evidence a Mad Hatter stuck in the past is unworkable, as there's no reason people should wait more than 10 days for their hat.

So, even though it's not necessary, I pass the officiality that buffygirl gave me for hatting to the Dragondashery, which accepts hat requests by PM, and thus remains as the only Vytron hats the ones given to akacat, taixzo, ZoomanSP and ChronoDragon :mrgreen:

Anyway, see you later, MUCH later!

And...

Spoiler:
MOLPY DOWN!

Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

Lokiparts

Postby Lokiparts » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:46 am UTC

SPACKlick wrote:I missed it?! I missed it?! I go away for the weekend and come back to 11 newpix and 45 newpages of the end...
I had to go to the bathroom to avoid crying at my desk. I feel like a friend has died.

For my last project, I was looking at posting rates. Below is a graph of Nepix vs newpages for the OTT true to now.

the fastest newpages were page 90 which contained the second dialogue frame, page 1257 and 1258 postemporal which all took 9 minutes. the slowest was page 851 which took 9hours and 42 minutes to fill and contained 10 ongs.

The slowest pair of pages was 850&851, taking 15 hours and 51 minutes and the fastest pair of pages was 1256&1257 together.

The slowest 5 pages were 371-375 which contained newpix 747 to 778 and took 31 hours and 51 minutes. The fastest 5 pages were 1256 to 1260 which were post temporal.

Well at least I wasn't the only one. I litterally saw the second to last frame on Friday before I left for the day, and thought to myself, "this should be a good place to leave off. When I ketchup on Monday there will be lots of fun conversation in OTT and lots of interesting frames." SO MUCH FOR THAT THEORY! :(

I haven't posted much but I have been following the thread and the comic since the literal begining. And it is truly sad to see it end but I supose I will just be that much more productive now. I guess you can say I have been given the gift of Time... as in my free time back.

Well I am going to go back and read through these last 30 or 40 pages now, I got through like 2 of them already but I just had to skip to the present and post something.
Last edited by Lokiparts on Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:54 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:53 am UTC

Lokiparts wrote:Well I am going to go back and read through these last 30 or 40 pages now, I got through like 2 of them already but I just had to skip to the present and post something.

So sorry! But before you go back, 1) quick change that text colour from red - the use of red text is reserved for the moderators, and 2) have a hug and some pie.
Spoiler:
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:54 am UTC

Ok, grief has passed through denial and anger, I'm neither fuming nor crying any more. What I'm doing is pointlessly over analysing OTT in order to keep getting menaing out of this great work.

We had 458 Monoposters, 145duoposters, 85 Triposters. There were 892 single digit postcounts in the OTT accounting for just over 2% of the thread.
The top Posters (over 1000 posts) are MSCHA (2330) Blitzgirl (2087) and HAL9000 (1050). [With current pages Blitzgirl is the most Poped at 60, mscha has 58 and Hall is at 24 below charlie_grumbles at 26 but remember, popes have been bumped by firstposts being approved]
Interestingly enough 12 monoposters have there posts at the top of pages (Aariana, ejwcobra, ERNesbitt, fwfr, icemachine1, jpvlsmv, Kethrook, MarcianTobay, shinksma, thecamoninja, Tritaia, wgasa)
9 Posters with over 60 posts have no firstposts (Ximenez, astrocub, SPACKlick, poxic, beargarden, Pfhorrest, blowfishhootie, Foarm, iisjreg)

There are 1315 OTTers with an average of 39 1/3 posts each and an average of 1 pope each.

Later I will show diversity of post times per day and post times per week for the OTT because IT ISN'T OVER.

Also, a note to remind people, look out for comic awards for 2013 and make sure GLR is nominated in appropriate categories for his work here. it changed our lives.

Lokiparts

Postby Lokiparts » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:59 am UTC

Thank you, although pie is hollow succor to a man who is bereft of Time.
Spoiler:

Eternal Density

Coma Molpy Style.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:03 pm UTC

River Molpy Down!
Redundant unless you want to see a smaller River:
Spoiler:
River Molpy down .jpg

Edited to have riverish attachment rather than seaish hotlink.
Last edited by Eternal Density on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:14 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:08 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:Why is it that every time I feel like I am beginning to deal with this, and accept it, someone had to come along a post a sad OTTification? Thanks Dracomax :cry: (No really! That was beautiful!! :D )

@Wonder93 You can do it! We will be here waiting. We're good at that, you know :wink:

I am confused. Why is everyone saying the D-Dactyls are gone from the wiki? They are right here. Or did someone manage to restore the page?

Some "Hero Of The Dip" wiki-warrior must have restored It (or Valarya must have re-written it very quickly), because earlier todip we couldn't find it. Not by searching for "Dactyl" or anything. There wasn't even a link to it on the front page.

Hurrah, It Has Been Restored!

Blindposting while ketchupping:

I just spent a lovely ten minutes reading the double-dactyl page and reminding myself of all the lovely, silly, funny poems people posted. But I noticed that at least some are missing; there are two double-dactyls on page 1038, another on page 1039, and one more on page 1040 that aren't included.

I'd edit them in but I'm afraid I have no idea how to edit a wiki and I'm afraid I'd break it again....)
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

Lokiparts

Postby Lokiparts » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:11 pm UTC

Wow that is awesome SPACKlick. You have really put a lot of effort into these figures I can't wait to see how else you have extrapolated this data.

Also I definitely second the idea of getting GLR and the OTC nominated for some kind of award.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:12 pm UTC

radom wrote:Greetings, all. Delurking to take the blame: I finally broke down & registered, then it ends! Reminds me of the first two jobs I had. Both ended with me showing up to work only to find they'd gone out of business without telling me :shock: ! Had a bit of a complex, for a while. As long as this post doesn't kill the thread, I'll be fine. Carry on and thank you all! :wink:

Throwing firstpost forward while ketchupping: Welcome, Radom!
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:24 pm UTC

Ketchup time...

Tatiana wrote:Eliram: I totally was taken in by the night scene you posted and excitedly clicked over to the comic itself, where I was quite crestfallen. You got me.

Sorry about that. It was meant to be a wish, not a trap, but yes, I did want to remind people with that little "new ong" feeling we came too familiar with.

BlitzGirl wrote:Colorbazooka (click for larger version):

The OTColored is becoming a beautiful place, with all the other images that were added since. Check it out, people.

@mscha, is it possible to add back-links from your site to the colored images?

AnotherKevin wrote:I realize that I hadn't done any sort of OTC frame remix yet. I figure maybe I ought to remedy that before the thread winds down altogether.
Source: Geekwagon frame #1407, more or less...
Spoiler:

Please add it to OTColored. Duplicates are perfectly okay. (Fixing the frame size will help, though)

b2bomberkrh wrote:Lastly, really enjoying the colored frames. How are you guys doing that? I wanted to do one, but all I could think of was to print it off, color it by hand and then scan the result. Will that even work for adding it to the collection? Is there some good freeware you guys are using to create these awesome colorings?

For windows users I find that paint.net is both easy to use, has plenty of features (including layers) and is free. GIMP can be too complicated for beginners.
It's about time.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:25 pm UTC

@SPACKlick Just to be clear, analyzing the OTC or the OTT is never pointless, nor can it ever be "over" analyzed.

Lokiparts wrote:Wow that is awesome SPACKlick. You have really put a lot of effort into these figures I can't wait to see how else you have extrapolated this data.

Also I definitely second the idea of getting GLR and the OTC nominated for some kind of award.

It is too bad that we cannot nominate GLR or the OTC for a Rory Award. Is there an equivalent for the most gratuitous use of "Chirp"?
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

HES

Postby HES » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:35 pm UTC

hillperson wrote:Hi, Zorin. I am indeed lurking, as I have since the beginning of TIme. I put a couple more color-ins up on the Wiki, but can't post them here yet. Just wanted to do my part to keep the OTC alive until GLR continues the story.

WHICH HE WILL.

Happy de-lurk!
And yes. Yes he will.

BlitzGirl wrote:What we need is exposure therapy!

You know I had to open all of those. I hate you.
BlitzGirl wrote:Added a new OTColored frame, because I felt like doing some crazy coloring (just as therapeutic as when I was five years old...)
Colorbazooka (click for larger version):
Spoiler:
Ok, I can't stay mad at you. This is chirping awesome (and oh so printable...)

taixzo wrote:New othercomic.

This is obviously RELATED to whatever happened to Antares...

TimeLurker wrote:Anyway, I'm watching Firefly now, thanks to Eternal Density and whoever, possibly still ED, posted the "Find a Crew, Find a Job, Keep flying" screenshot, and I'm on the episode where everything dies on the ship and the Captain is left waiting to die. I love/hate you for getting me into this. Please, let them all live.

If you like xkcd (which is probably a safe assumtion) you'll almost definitely like Firefly. I Strongly recommend it to anyone who has not yet watched it.
(It also makes some of the othercomics make more sense. It certainly gets referenced a lot)
He/Him/His Image

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:41 pm UTC

Crashing my computer trying to analyse by the minute postings across a week but when I get the data done you guys will hopefulyl be as amazed as me by the spikes and dips in some of the data.

Awards wise, the Eagle Award is a UK award which is fan nominated, approprite categories might be (Q19. Favourite Web-Based Comic, Q20. Favourite Single Story) any others?

AnotherKevin

Postby AnotherKevin » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:41 pm UTC

Eliram wrote:
AnotherKevin wrote:I realize that I hadn't done any sort of OTC frame remix yet. I figure maybe I ought to remedy that before the thread winds down altogether.
Source: Geekwagon frame #1407, more or less...
Spoiler:

Please add it to OTColored. Duplicates are perfectly okay. (Fixing the frame size will help, though)

I didn't really intend it for that. I rejiggered the original frame's composition too much for it really to fit. Maybe I'll think of another frame to color and wikify.
All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full.
Unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:59 pm UTC

SPACKlick wrote:Graph
Spoiler:
It's so sad to see the newpix line just... stops.

Love the manips I've been seeing.

Caught the molpy. I already know I gotta open every one of BlitzGirl's spoilers. (and all of everyone else's too, but she started it!)

Sciscitor wrote:...but made the mistake to buy a cheap drawing tablet.
The point of a cheap one is in case you end up not liking drawing with a tablet at all. Less money wasted. If you decide you do like tablet-drawing, then the cost of the cheap one can be written off as research when you'll get the best-for-you better one.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:02 pm UTC

One more quote:

The size of a misfortune is not determinable by an outsider's measurement of it but only by the measurements applied to it by the person specially affected by it. The king's lost crown is a vast matter to the king but of no consequence to the child. The lost toy is a great matter to the child but in the king's eyes it is not a thing to break the heart about.~Mark Twain

So remember, when others don't understand why you are depressed, that it's okay. the grief we feel is real, and a testament to the experience we shared and the talent of GLR.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:04 pm UTC

Wow. Like it can happen with all of us so much in life, it seems like a major milestone occurred while I was busy doing other things.

Evidently Time has ended...

Well, I'm surprised, but not overly. After all, [heresy] the GLR is only human [/heresy] and it's unrealistic to think that he would keep on making frame after frame after frame indefinitely...

I'm glad it ended on a positive note with promise of new adventures for Cuegan and their clan -- it could have been much worse than to have a new place to discover.

And it does leave open the possibility of "Time II -- The Exploration!"

I joined this forum several months ago just to make an initial "atta boy!" post, merely to make an entry into the OTT showing my appreciation to Randall for a clever concept done well. And while I've been much too absent lately, I stayed with the OTT for over 800 posts -- all here. I invested a lot of my own Time here, and I enjoyed every minute of it. I've missed it over the last few weeks of absence. And I thank each and every one of you for putting together a community of awesomeness.

And as a parting gift for you all, here's one last link of how it's all related:

Spoiler:
1. Randall created the OTC, and it was awesome

2. Everyone here created the OTT, and it was awesomer.

3. The OTC and the OTT combined to give me one of the most awesomest internet experiences I've ever had.

4, Thank you!!!!!

See ya'all for the sequel someday!
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:10 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Zorin_75 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:The Geekwagon link was added and the title-text changed on newpix m3089:
Spoiler:

Aargh, how can you just post the frame-that-must-not-be-named like that :shock: :cry:

Fear of a frame only increases fear of The End itself.

What we need is exposure therapy!
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
molpy

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Congratulations, you have reached THE END of exposure therapy.
You may have cake.

Argh! I had to open all of those in case there was a kitty or a molpy! :(

BlitzGirl wrote:Added a new OTColored frame, because I felt like doing some crazy coloring (just as therapeutic as when I was five years old...)
Colorbazooka (click for larger version):
Spoiler:

I want that on a shirt!!!!!!!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:21 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Wow. Like it can happen with all of us so much in life, it seems like a major milestone occurred while I was busy doing other things.

Well, I'm surprised, but not overly. After all, [heresy] the GLR is only human [/heresy] and it's unrealistic to think that he would keep on making frame after frame after frame indefinitely...

I'm glad it ended on a positive note with promise of new adventures for Cuegan and their clan -- it could have been much worse than to have a new place to discover.

I joined this forum several months ago just to make an initial "atta boy!" post, merely to make an entry into the OTT showing my appreciation to Randall for a clever concept done well. And while I've been much too absent lately, I stayed with the OTT for over 800 posts -- all here. I invested a lot of my own Time here, and I enjoyed every minute of it. I've missed it over the last few weeks of absence. And I thank each and every one of you for putting together a community of awesomeness.

And as a parting gift for you all, here's one last link of how it's all related:

Spoiler:
1. Randall created the OTC, and it was awesome

2. Everyone here created the OTT, and it was awesomer.

3. The OTC and the OTT combined to give me one of the most awesomest internet experiences I've ever had.

4, Thank you!!!!!

See ya'all for the sequel someday!

Hi StratPlayer! :D Bye StratPlayer? :(

I do hope that you will continue to pop in now and again, as many of us are committed to the tribe/community we have created here. And thank you, too, for all your wonderful contributions!
Last edited by k.bookbinder on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:And as a parting gift for you all

Uh-oh. BlitzGirl won't like that...
Wait on.

Spoiler:

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Wow. Like it can happen with all of us so much in life, it seems like a major milestone occurred while I was busy doing other things.

I don't think so. Because that would be a more generic type of story. I see the OTC-story more as a long, drawn-out What-If scenario. That scenario was drawn from the perspective of a don't-know-better-pair of people who went out to venture why their environment was changing and then concluded true movie-style with a sorta-kinda heroic rescue. However, judging from the pace of the story until the revelation, and the amount of time that was spent on finding everyone and then moving on elsewhere (destination unknown) (which was far less, and I am certain someone with more statistic skill will be able to tell how far less exactly), seems to indicate Mr Munroe intended this to be a bit of a geek Clue, then it went on to its climax, to end in a way that was more or less conclusive ("Everything was alright in the end"). Following the NoClueganites would be interesting, but does not have the same kind of what-if feel to it, because it would basically be up to Randall to envision the story any which way he pleases, and he's many things, but, judging from the dialogue we saw in the OTC, no Stephen King, suspensewise.

Obviously, there could be a different what-if scenario drawn and presented that we fans could rally around. But I don't think a continuation of Time by Mr Munroe would have the same allure. Something new, yes, why not.

StratPlayer wrote:See ya'all for the sequel someday!

Is this what 'saying goodbye' looks like, he asked suspiciously?

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:32 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:y'all are aware there's this.. like, entire forum here, right?

There no other forum. There is no other forum. There is no other forum. *scrunches eyes shut and vigorously shakes head back and forth*

SecondTalon wrote:And y'all are welcome to peruse and contribute and so on? I mean, I know you've got this familiar familial thing going on here, but... the rest of the place is pretty swanky too.

Huh. He does say ya'll like he's one of us. If he had said all ya'll I might have been convinced. But maybe infecting the rest of this place with our language wouldn't be so bad. ;)

Goggalor wrote:I'm currently in college, majoring in forestry and I chirping love it! Most people I talk to have no idea forestry is an actual major and immediately get me to explain it (which I'm terrible at). I don't understand it's lack of popularity.

Awesomeful! I have a good friend in Portland is who is going to school for the same thing. And a step-brother in Seattle who just graduated for that as well. I bet it's more popular in the PNW. :P

@ all the manips: 4 and 7 err'one! Especially wizpretz because that's about how my MSPaint manip would look. :mrgreen:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:32 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
ucim wrote:
Angelastic wrote:When We Go
an ottification of When You Go by Jonathan Coulton
link to youtube version

In the YouTube sidebar, I noted a link to this ⁴ video of JoCo's “A Laptop Like You”, by someone well know to us. I hope she doesn't mind me posting it, but I thought it was ⁷some and y'all needed to see it. (It has a bit of “When You Go” at the end, so it's All Related.)

:oops: I'm glad you liked it. :)

mscha wrote:We'll need to add a 6th stage of grief: writing ottifications about it.
I think for me it was the 0th stage, since I wrote five (?! Was it that many? Randally chirp!) on the dip I found out before even ketching up. Now that I'm keught up, I think it's kind of nice that I was behind actually, because it means my ottifications hit after people had been dealing with it for a while and might have needed cheering up. Or maybe my ottifications were sad and I kicked them while they were down. Oh well, molpy up and deal with it! It's just the end of Time, not the end of the world!

Lately I've been ketching up while eating, and taking a break from whatever I'm doing. So I find myself saying to myself things such as, 'I'll just have some strawberries and ketchup' and then realising later that it would be an odd combination of foods.

I loved dawnfire's and HereBeUnmappedBits's OTTifications... partly because I know the originals so I could sing them in my head without listening to them (though as mscha said, HereBeUnmappedBits's one didn't really fit the tune), but partly because they were treeish4.

Maybe if we coloured the Voldiframe it would be less scary. At least the otter doing the colouring would be desensitised to it.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

cameroda

Postby cameroda » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:34 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:Hmm, for some reason I got a bit of a Jesus Christ Superstar vibe. Especially "The End" triggered:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJxKtOwgLdw

and after Time:TEF, the vibe seemed to be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqvXquqTwoU

Maybe I should ottify them at some point.

Ronald

Please do. I actually saw this show yesterday, and had similar thoughts about some of the music.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:39 pm UTC

SPACKlick wrote:I had to go to the bathroom to avoid crying at my desk. I feel like a friend has died.

Don't worry, if you go back to the 5 newpages after that dreadful newpic-of-which-we-do-not-speak, you'll see that we were ALL crying. For hours. And we most definitely went through the stages of grief. Here's a comforting piece of toast (on a cupcake) for you. *hugs*
Spoiler:

Random question to anyone: In reference to graphs and data and all that... we used to have a list of the top 20 posting OTTers. Was that on Kieryn's site? Is it still being updated?

ZoomanSP wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:And as a parting gift for you all

Uh-oh. BlitzGirl won't like that...

Quick, get the rope and the basement molpy army!!
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:44 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:

Ronald

Sort of... But not entirely... At some point, I do want to do a proper ketchup of all the OTT I missed during the last few weeks.

And I very much appreciate all of you here in the OTT. But with the End of Time behind us, I fear that Outsider forces will surely eventually tear apart the OTTers. I recognize why everyone wants to fight against it, and I share their sadness at seeing it go. It's like Megan building that first sand dyke against the rising sea. Here's a discussion about it back from NP 384:

StratPlayer wrote:
Asthanius wrote:<snip>
I don't think you understand: The water will never rise that high. Look at Megan. She's rebuilding the sandcastle, isn't she? Now, they both know that the water is rising, but they don't know how far it will rise. If Megan was unsure of whether or not the water will overtake the sandcastle, why would she waste time rebuilding it?

Because Megan is continuing to build, she is confident that the water will not destroy the sandcastle.

At least, this is my theory.

Foolishly/bravely/blindly trying to hold on to what's familiar in the face of certain onslaught is part and parcel of the human spirit.

And thus it is with the diehards OTT, as the tides of real Outsider time start to pull it asunder...

But while it may fade away, it does NOT change the fact that it was every bit as amazing and wonderful as that castle that Megan and Cueball first built.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

SPACKlick

Postby SPACKlick » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:53 pm UTC

Ok, So Having looked at the posts individually

This Hourly tells us nothing much except that our peak was consistently at 20:00-21:00 UTC and our minimal activity was at 9:00-10:00 UTC.
Spoiler:

This split by 15 minutes shows significant peaks, highlighted red, between the hour and quarter past. No idea why? :roll:
Spoiler:

However that peak is still clearly visible in the minute by minute break down.
Spoiler:

the peak hour of posting was, unsuprisingly, 20:00 (ONG with peak traffic), the least posted times were 00:37 and 00:46 with 0 posts (every other time had at least 8 posts)

The day by day breakdown is less interesting. Friday is the most posted on day (9629 posts) then Thu, Wed, Tue, Mon, Sat, Sun (4838)

Friday 20:00-21:00 was the most posted hour by a long margin (725). Sunday between 9:00 and 10:00 was the least posted (98 posts, the only hour below 100)

Friday 21:00-21:15 was the most posted in 15 minutes (199) which surprised me. Sunday 9:30-9:45 unsurprisingly had the fewest posts (16)

I'm now hunting for those special few who managed to post at the same time and day in different weeks.

PPEdit
Random question to anyone: In reference to graphs and data and all that... we used to have a list of the top 20 posting OTTers. Was that on Kieryn's site? Is it still being updated?

I'm maintaining an offline version in order the top 50 posters below
Spoiler:
mscha 2330
BlitzGirl 2087
HAL9000 1050
ChronosDragon 900
KarMann 894
charlie_grumbles 868
StratPlayer 810
SBN 751
yappobiscuits 737
k.bookbinder 734
AluisioASG 725
Kieryn 724
Exodies 693
buffygirl 686
Eternal Density 685
Valarya 657
pelrigg 651
Dracomax 649
Opiboble 633
jjjdavidson 594
azule 555
Latent22 552
taixzo 542
HES 539
ucim 497
Helper 472
kenmelken 441
Angelastic 424
fhorn 417
higgs-boson 405
tman2nd 392
TheMinim 385
spamjam 374
Rule110 365
jovialbard 362
lmjb1964 357
Neil_Boekend 350
htom 348
edo 343
cmyk 322
cellocgw 315
AionArap 289
NetWeasel 289
TimeLurker 277
ergman 273
Zorin_75 268
ggh 265
patzer 264
thirds 245
Flotter 245

CAVEAT: All data accurate to Vytrons post at 11:30 today.
Redundagraphs
Spoiler:
Hourly.jpg

15minute.jpg

Minutely.jpg

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:53 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:Maybe if we coloured the Voldiframe it would be less scary. At least the otter doing the colouring would be desensitised to it.

Done!

Spoiler:
theend.png

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:14 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:Random question to anyone: In reference to graphs and data and all that... we used to have a list of the top 20 posting OTTers. Was that on Kieryn's site? Is it still being updated?

At Kieryn's site, the Credits list user posts by the numbers. So it does indicate top posters. However, it does appear to be about 4 weeks behind. I do believe that Kieryn is working on updating much of the data on his site.

StratPlayer wrote:
rvloon wrote:

Ronald

Sort of... But not entirely... At some point, I do want to do a proper ketchup of all the OTT I missed during the last few weeks.

And I very much appreciate all of you here in the OTT. But with the End of Time behind us, I fear that Outsider forces will surely eventually tear apart the OTTers. I recognize why everyone wants to fight against it, and I share their sadness at seeing it go. It's like Megan building that first sand dyke against the rising sea. Here's a discussion about it back from NP 384:

StratPlayer wrote:
Asthanius wrote:<snip>
I don't think you understand: The water will never rise that high. Look at Megan. She's rebuilding the sandcastle, isn't she? Now, they both know that the water is rising, but they don't know how far it will rise. If Megan was unsure of whether or not the water will overtake the sandcastle, why would she waste time rebuilding it?

Because Megan is continuing to build, she is confident that the water will not destroy the sandcastle.

At least, this is my theory.

Foolishly/bravely/blindly trying to hold on to what's familiar in the face of certain onslaught is part and parcel of the human spirit.

And thus it is with the diehards OTT, as the tides of real Outsider time start to pull it asunder...

But while it may fade away, it does NOT change the fact that it was every bit as amazing and wonderful as that castle that Megan and Cueball first built.

*sigh* You are kind of bumming me out again. And I was almost ready to get over this. But worry not, we have contingency plans. We already have a FB group and several OTTers have shared their Twitter accounts as well. There is also the wiki forum to use if needed. So, in some shape or form, many of us OTTers are pretty determined to stay in touch. :mrgreen:

ETA: @Ximenez Brilliant! :lol:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”