1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

StratPlayer

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

Per Papal Decree:

ETA: GAH! Complying with a papal decree and I become the new page pope. So I'll continue the same decree -- continue providing new dialog for some dialog-less frames. Well, that and welcome the post-End-of-Time first-posters. Welcome!

ETA2: And Pope of page 1313! due to entirely too much television as a kid, that number makes me think of this:

Spoiler:

Redundant:
Spoiler:
Questioning Reality.png

Munster Mansion.jpg
Last edited by StratPlayer on Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

wizpretz

Postby wizpretz » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:33 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
wizpretz wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Someone asked for native OTTifications. While doing it, for some reason it felt so odd… maybe it's because I'm already speaking to myself in English internally?
Can that even happen?
Yes it can happen. If I am reading an English book and listening to Dutch music (which is never really by choice) then I notice that I can't understand one of the languages. It takes about a second to switch from reading English to listening to Dutch, that switch takes a terrible lot of energy and switching to often gives a headache.If I am reading English I am thinking in English. If I am reading German I am thinking in German. If I am reading OTT I am thinking in OTT. I do not know any other languages well enough to cause this.

I guess it's just hard for me to imagine since I don't know any other language well enough for that to happen. Does OTT count as another language? I'd love to say I was bilingual.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:40 pm UTC

Getting Out of Hand

Redundant Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Getting Out of Hand.png

Pervert Kitty.png
Pervert Kitty.png (23.56 KiB) Viewed 16040 times

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:41 pm UTC

Another OTColor...ation? ...ization? ...ification?

np2320:

(click for hi-res version)

Redundant:
Spoiler:
2320-colored-hi-res.png
hi-res
2320-colored.png
classic
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:43 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:Another OTColor...ation? ...ization? ...ification?

OH! I love this! Feels so carefree!

Also: love your redundakitties Whizbang :) (I never realized redundakitty didn't have an "nt", I always read the "nt" into it)
Last edited by jovialbard on Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:45 pm UTC

np2320:

Redundant:
Spoiler:
2320-colored-hi-res.png
2320-colored.png

Very nice. :)

VoronX

Postby VoronX » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

(Blind post)
Just saw the news! NOOOOOO! It can't be! I am totally freaking out here!!! I was drawn away by hospital visits and other Outside World stuff. Say it isn't so! :~(
A humble Pilgrim0 awash in the Sea1 of TimeS, unstuck, observing the wonderful Stars therin . . . waiting for IT.
0 - Billy
1 - BIG
S - Like a River2?

2 - small, and a host of other adjectives

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:52 pm UTC

VoronX wrote:(Blind post)
Just saw the news! NOOOOOO! It can't be! I am totally freaking out here!!! I was drawn away by hospital visits and other Outside World stuff. Say it isn't so! :~(

Oh, dear. Everyone, get ready with the hugs and cake....

(It's always an extra jolt when someone new finds out.)
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:52 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:Per Papal Decree:

Redundant
Spoiler:
easy.png
easy.png (7.36 KiB) Viewed 16017 times
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

??? What news? Are those dang Kardashians up to their old shenanigans again???
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:55 pm UTC

I've broken my seaish ketchup into two posts for ease in reading.

Neil_Boekend wrote:
wizpretz wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Someone asked for native OTTifications. While doing it, for some reason it felt so odd… maybe it's because I'm already speaking to myself in English internally?

Can that even happen?

Yes it can happen. If I am reading an English book and listening to Dutch music (which is never really by choice) then I notice that I can't understand one of the languages. It takes about a second to switch from reading English to listening to Dutch, that switch takes a terrible lot of energy and switching to often gives a headache.
If I am reading English I am thinking in English. If I am reading German I am thinking in German. If I am reading OTT I am thinking in OTT. I do not know any other languages well enough to cause this.

And I, sadly, don't know any other languages well enough to have that problem. I used to know French pretty well, but I don't get to use it much here in California. I have learned some Spanish, with the result that now when I try to speak French, Spanish slips in and vice versa.

And, of course, I have to work at keeping OTTish out of my Outside communications. Almost told my co-worker this video she made was treeish...

SBN wrote:While I do hope to get a Time shirt or two at some point, and an OTT shirt (Molpy up!) I think the best thing to do for the moment is wait. We're good at that. We told him we want shirts, he's heard us, now we should back off for awhile and let him rest. In the meantime we can get the wiki page up to date. (It's making progress, thanks for that.) Is there some way we could add counters to it, so we could indicate which ones we'd be most likely to actually buy? No fair just clicking them all, click the couple you really do want, and will really want four months from now.

Thanks, SBN, that's exactly what I was thinking. We've made the request, and now we should do what we all do best.

No, silly, not filk songs and come up with crazy theories. Wait for it. The man needs to rest for a bit.

k.bookbinder wrote:ETA: Oh, Pope-ishness. I shall issue a decree: If you are so inclined, present a possible mug design to add to our ever growing list of "OMR, we wish we could purchase this from the xkcd.com store." That, and more OTTities, and colorizations, and poetry, and literature, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals...

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! I know! One of those color-changing mugs. It would look all white, but when you put hot liquid into it, the "sand"castle appears! I would buy that for sure. (I see that I've been ninja'd by the color-changing idea by SBN, and the castle idea (though in reverse!) by....shoot, I lost it. Well, someone who thinks like me! :)

Whizbang wrote:
Spoiler:

Hey, that's not what I see in the OtherComic! IMine has...Oh, I see now. :) 4!

Rule110 wrote:Per decree:
Spoiler:
"My other mug is a dilgunerrang."

"Coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee GRAPEVINE GRAPEVINE"

"Pfffth.
Pthuh! Yuck.
I've had worse."

(And for a t-shirt)

"Megan and Cueball went to Image and all I got was this lousy t-shirt and some maps."

I would also buy any and all of these. And the T-shirt.

Angelastic wrote:I think people might be overthinking this CC-BY-NC thing. Seek not enlightenment in the small print of the CC license, but in the words of the Great Lord Randall Himself. Ask, and permission might be accorded you<snip>

Thanks, Angelastic. And I LOVE that Geek Girls video! Truly awesomeful! And is that you coding for the linear accelerator?

I liked the woman who said "I own a comic book shop but people assume I do it to humor my geeky husband." More than once I've gone to buy percussion equipment and been asked if I was buying it for my boyfriend/husband/son. :roll:

Kieryn wrote:For all those interested...

Here is a height-map of the Time world I just rendered using some free bathymetric data I found online:
Spoiler:
Full Size(1024 x 1024)

Also 4!

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

MajorDouble7

Postby MajorDouble7 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

NoPepperGames wrote:Just registered so I could drop a vanishingly-small-chance-of-being-seen note of thanks to Randall for 1190. Obviously a tremendous amount of effort and love went into creating a full, complete story in a medium that rarely allows it. Thank you.

FirstPost BUMP! Welcome, NoPepperGames!
HES wrote:That's not how these things work; Beardo will know, but before telling them he will send them on a quest for the magical sand timer of the molpy people. He'll give them a stick with +1 Thwapping and [...] once Time ends, it will restart on a higher difficulty setting.

VoronX

Postby VoronX » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

That's so weird. Looking at it now, the frame I saw before logging in today (after a 5 day coma) was LITERALLY the last frame before the End! So I was KINDA there for the End of TimeTM?

Oh me yarm this is going to take some processing...
A humble Pilgrim0 awash in the Sea1 of TimeS, unstuck, observing the wonderful Stars therin . . . waiting for IT.
0 - Billy
1 - BIG
S - Like a River2?

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:10 pm UTC

Oh wow! That's a really treeishly wowterful one!
StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:

ETA: GAH! Complying with a papal decree and I become the new page pope. So I'll continue the same decree -- continue providing new dialog for some dialog-less frames.

Good one! Inspired me to do something along similar lines. Hope some of you get the reference...
Spoiler:

Redundant spoiler of redundancy
Spoiler:
redundakitty15.jpg

WhyWe'reHere 01.png
WhyWe'reHere 01.png (8.59 KiB) Viewed 15975 times

WhyWe'reHere 02.png

WhyWe'reHere 03.png

WhyWe'reHere 04.png
WhyWe'reHere 04.png (8.83 KiB) Viewed 15975 times
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

Redundant:
Spoiler:
Sorry, no funny picture. Need to get things done at work.
That's what she said.png

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:15 pm UTC

P81: People are starting to get quite seriously worried back here in the deep-past. Emergency measures are being considered!
Spoiler:
belliott4488 wrote:EMERGENCY NOTICE

Okay, fellow timeWaiters ... I think the time has come to admit that we have a problem. A big problem.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only commentator on this this thread whose first thought on awakening this morning was something along the lines of, "Oh! I wonder how far they got over night! I've got to go check!"

Now that we see the continuing progress it's become all too painfully clear that this can - and most likely will - go on for days, weeks, maybe longer. After all, we all know that Mr. Randall Monroe has far more time on his hands than common sense, as we saw from the Cut and Past episode. How much time do you think it takes him to generate a new frame, when all that changes from the previous one is a couple of stick figures and maybe a few pixels of sand?

The guy has us, and he has us bad.

I'm afraid the time has come to act, before more lives are irreparably ruined. I'm not sure what the solution is - teams assigned to watch over the strip in shifts? Designated authors to keep the thread active while others get some rest (or worse - get some work done)?

And what of those hard-core who have not slept for more than 25 minutes at a stretch since early Monday morning (you know who you are)? Should we start to make arrangements for food deliveries? Contact numbers for family or other loved ones who can apply the occasional sponge bath (in 25 minutes or less)??

People, we are not sheep. The time has come to grasp the bull by the tail and look the situation square in the face! This is our internet time we're talking aobut!!!!

Note, this is *still* pan&zoom, but now we have both Megan and Cueball (those names are fixed now, but without any official decision-post to mark that point), scurrying around the sandcastle. Soon we will experience the joy of our second frame of dialogue...
16.288% blitzed (I can't believe it went backwards!): Wait for me!
At the moment I calculate my blitz-percentage based on the total number of newpages (which of course continues to rise). Perhaps I should base it on the number of the newpix we do not mention (1254) instead? Opinions?

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:19 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Good one! Inspired me to do something along similar lines. Hope some of you get the reference...
Spoiler:

Redundant spoiler of redundancy
Spoiler:
redundakitty15.jpg

WhyWe'reHere 01.png

WhyWe'reHere 02.png

WhyWe'reHere 03.png

WhyWe'reHere 04.png

Aha! Another Red vs Blue fan!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:25 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:Aha! Another Red vs Blue fan!

Yay! :mrgreen:

VoronX

Postby VoronX » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:26 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:

??? What news? Are those dang Kardashians up to their old shenanigans again???

I normally get to the page by doing a quick search for "xkcd time." What I saw was this:
News-EndofTime.PNG

Needless to say, it came as quite a shock.

Redundant:
Spoiler:
News-EndofTime-50percent.PNG
Last edited by VoronX on Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:31 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
0 - Billy
1 - BIG
S - Like a River2?

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:27 pm UTC

Ooh. Nasty way to find out, VoronX...

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
Spoiler:
The attachment A surprising amount of blood.png is no longer available

The attachment Bloody redundant kitty.png is no longer available

Also, could someone add this to OTColored? I can't figure out how to insert a new row upload the image.

hahahaha. But that redundakitty was just WRONG!

MajorDouble7 wrote:, I've got my first OTColorification (Frame 3), let me know what you think! I plan on doing many of these, if I can ever find the TIME. :wink:

Spoiler:

Nice one, MajorDouble7!

spOTTy wrote:Oh, hello there. I lurked so long that Time ended.
Spoiler:
This is a blind[ish] post from page 1173. Inexplicably the page count is still going up (1312 as I write this), even though Time has sat still saying The End. What's going on out there?

I've lurked for a long time and certainly not read most of the forum. Recently I've been checking geekwagon once a week, and reading the latest few OTT pages. But this week I find it has STOPPED. So suddenly, so soon. I'm so sad.

So I've decided to (very slowly) ketchup my way through, from the map-reveal to the end of the thread. It'll take me a long time due to outside pressure - and I don't want to rush things, now that Time is (apparently) no more.

I'm posting now because of sigs like this:
AluisioASG wrote:Blitzers: blindpost! Now! We need topics! Also, we're still here, despite what other signatures may say.

... and because, as I said, I've watched the forum count keep rising. Know that, from deep in the past, there are those thinking of you.

I hope someone sees this, though I strongly doubt I'll ever see you - by the time I reach the end of this quest, you'll all be long gone. But maybe I'll find this post again, deep in the future.

spOTTy, signing off. X

Nice firstpost! Welcome, and Randallspeed on your quest!

And another:
NoPepperGames wrote:Just registered so I could drop a vanishingly-small-chance-of-being-seen note of thanks to Randall for 1190. Obviously a tremendous amount of effort and love went into creating a full, complete story in a medium that rarely allows it. Thank you.

Welcome, NoPepperGames! Glad you shared your thanks with all of us.

smolloy wrote:P76: The pan&zoom continues, but now it's obvious that Megan has been busy building sandcastles during her absence.

Here you can see the moment when another one of our liguistic quirks was invented! Take a bow Magnap!
Spoiler:
Magnap wrote:Phew, just caught up. By the way, i think we should rid ourselves of all Outsider-thinking by coining a new term for what They call "Sleep". The Creator himself has helped us in comic #203 to coin the new verb, "to coma", with "coma" as the present tense and "comad" as the past, and with the future tense (which all verbs need!) still to be decided.

Ah, I wondered when that started. Nice to see the etymology. *checks to make sure she didn't just talk about bugs* Nope, I'm good.

cellocgw wrote:Hi there everyone. Just dropping off a little farewell note here. I'll watch the FB page for a while, but that's about it for me. Why? well, maybe...<snip>

Where the chirp is BlitzGirl? OK, I'll do my best:
no_bye.jpg

mikro2nd wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:It's a big sacrifice on my part, but if anyone needs someone to sample their mead, I'm glad to help out. :wink:

Can't help you with mead, but if it's Ale you're after,... all OTTers welcome to taste the One True Ale (in a few weeks... fermentation seems to be going quite slowly - it is Winter, after all!)

I will happily make that sacrifice for ale as well. :D

Pfhorrest wrote:Just a comment to clarify the whole copyright & Creative Commons debate

Nooooooo! I thought that was over! Where are the Skittles when you need them? Did HAL eat them all?

StratPlayer wrote:ETA2: And Pope of page 1313! due to entirely too much television as a kid, that number makes me think of this:
Spoiler:

Thanks. Now that theme song will be stuck in my head...

Spoiler:
The attachment Bloody redundant kitty.png is no longer available
The attachment A surprising amount of blood.png is no longer available

Pretty!

We're here for you, VoronX. *hug* It'll be OK.

yappobiscuits wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:ETA: GAH! Complying with a papal decree and I become the new page pope. So I'll continue the same decree -- continue providing new dialog for some dialog-less frames.

Good one! Inspired me to do something along similar lines. Hope some of you get the reference...
Spoiler:

Awesomeful. That sounds familiar, but I can't place it. They did something similar in Field of Dreams, but that's not it.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

VoronX

Postby VoronX » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:36 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:

We're here for you, VoronX. *hug* It'll be OK.

Thank you. *sniff*
0 - Billy
1 - BIG
S - Like a River2?

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

Ketchup Part 2
(Wow, way to go Val on putting hours between condiments. At least the sammich is still tasty!)

yappobiscuits wrote:Something like this? ;)

Whaaaaa?! How did I miss this? That was awesome, yappo.

Whizbang wrote:
Spoiler:

Image That is wowterful, Whizbang. Yet again, why I wrote a double-dactyl about you. You're chirpin' hilarious!

I can't even begin to list everyone who did a filk since yesterdip. Almost every single post now has a filk in it, which I find absolutely incredible. So thank you to ALL of you for giving me super neat stuff to look at especially since I've been skipping all the creative commons chatter. I think I'm going to print out every OTColorization and litter my cubicle walls with them. :mrgreen:

Thanks to the song-filkers, too. I love reading the foreign ones. :oops:

I'm probably already a NP or two behind, but this is for Ebonite's decree to add text on a frame that didn't have it.

REDUNDANT SPOILER:
Spoiler:
No kitties.

squirpy.png
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

smolloy

Postby smolloy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

P85 @higgs-boson: Still feel the same way? :?
higgs-boson wrote:I ... actually begin to long for the moment the mouseover text changes to "Thank you for waiting.". I'm lacking sleep, I lose concentration too fast, my notebook DONGs every newpix, having me darting through the office rooms ... My life felt never "normal", but the standard craziness rating was a bit too high the last few days.
16.288% blitzed (I can't believe it went backwards!): Wait for me!
At the moment I calculate my blitz-percentage based on the total number of newpages (which of course continues to rise). Perhaps I should base it on the number of the newpix we do not mention (1254) instead? Opinions?

NoPepperGames

Postby NoPepperGames » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:42 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:Welcome, NoPepperGames. Feel free to post more about your reactions to Time. How did you find out it was a continuing story?

Thanks! When I first saw 1190 the day it was posted, I knew something was amiss with the "Wait for it..." mouseover. I scanned my regular forum to see if anyone had posted anything about it (a regular occurence for cryptic xkcds), and someone had picked up on it and checked the wiki. I followed along with it on the aubronwood page.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

Cake for VoronX and NoPepperGames:

BlitzGirl the Fast the First

superluminal

Postby superluminal » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

I have a neat image with a new text on it, but I can't post it yet... Maybe after this post?

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:46 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Awesomeful. That sounds familiar, but I can't place it. They did something similar in Field of Dreams, but that's not it.

As Taixzo said, it's from Red vs. Blue. An ottification of the first ever scene of the first ever episode.
Valarya wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Something like this? ;)

Whaaaaa?! How did I miss this? That was awesome, yappo.

I don't know! It was from quite a while back... it's been listed on the wiki ever since so I'm surprised you missed it! :P
Valarya wrote:I'm probably already a NP or two behind, but this is for Ebonite's decree to add text on a frame that didn't have it.
Spoiler:

Aww! Highly treeish! I love the subtle colouration too, is that your doing or did you just put the text on someone else's colouration?

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:47 pm UTC

In honor of NP 1313 ─ no, StratPlayer, you're not the only one whose mind went straight to Mockingbird Lane ─ I claim frame M1313:
Spoiler:
No, it's not colored; it was black-and-white TV!
Department of redundant spoilers department:
Spoiler:
1313.munsters.png
1313.munsters.png (4.2 KiB) Viewed 15893 times
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

superluminal

Postby superluminal » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

Learning how these spoilers work... And writing my fifth post. ;)

Valarya wrote:I'm probably already a NP or two behind, but this is for Ebonite's decree to add text on a frame that didn't have it.
Spoiler:
REDUNDANT SPOILER:
Spoiler:
No kitties.

squirpy.png

Very nice Valarya!

neopifex

Re: Grapevine grapevine.

Postby neopifex » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:Speaking of Beanish.. do we have anyone working on decoding it still? Our GLR did say in his blag post it could be figured out. Doing this would be JUST like having new newpix because there'd be a whole lot of dialogue we haven't seen before. I'd help if I were smart enough.

This person is working on it and has been writing blog posts about it: https://beanishlang.wordpress.com/

Other than that, I don't know of anyone who has publicly posted anything about a translation. I've been toying with it in my head, but this sort of thing isn't really my forte. I'm dying to know how the language works, though.
C'mon, let's see what's through here!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:50 pm UTC

Here are some colorizations you won't believe.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/3 ... 83840.html
All natural.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:52 pm UTC

I gotta say, I am absolutely loving the responses to my papal decree (adding dialogue to frames that don't have any). The responses have been awesome! I'm hoping people keep on doing more of these. . .
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:52 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:[s Taixzo said, it's from Red vs. Blue. An ottification of the first ever scene of the first ever episode.

Hm, I don't know Red vs. Blue. Something similar must have been done somewhere else, or I saw a parody on it and didn't realize it.

jjjdavidson wrote:In honor of NP 1313 ─ no, StratPlayer, you're not the only one whose mind went straight to Mockingbird Lane ─ I claim frame M1313:
Spoiler:
No, it's not colored; it was black-and-white TV!
Spoiler:
1313.munsters.png

:lol:

Hey, is anyone here familiar with GarageBand? I recorded a song, but I don't know how to make it into an mp3 file.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Ketchup...

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:53 pm UTC

Welcome to Dex, spOTTy, and NoPepperGames! Image
Big *hug* for VoronX! Bad Google, being all spoilery and such. :?

Block o' compliments:
@Aluisio: Wowterful ottifications! It's treeish to see them done in a different language. :D
@azule: "Awefulsome Fate" was very steakish!
@Whizbang: Nice bloody OTColored newpix, and fun ottification of OtherComic #333!
@NoMouse: I love the style of your OTColorization! It's charming. :)
@MajorDouble7: Awesomeful first OTColored newpix!

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Eliram wrote:
Spoiler:
charlie_grumbles wrote:If you want to let Randall use your art on a T, make sure that on the wiki you make it possible for him to contact you so that he can get your permission to do so. The rules work two ways.

The OTColored page includes a column for artist name for this and other reasons. GLR could PM artists if he'd like to.
This could be lovely, but frankly I don't think he would.

charlie_grumbles wrote:If I take his art and change one pixel from FF to FE does that make it mine to license how I please?

Yes!

If I change one pixel, I can ask that no one will copy my new creation with that one pixel, and to copyright my change (theoretically. Usually the change should be significant, but even one pixel can be significant)

Now, I still can't change the license of the original frame, but you wouldn't be able to print a shirt with BlitzGirl's colorifications without her permission since it's copyrighted by default.
Even GLR can't sell shirts with her (re: BlitzGirl's) creations, since she is allowed to change the license. He can't even print one for himself.

In practice I have a hunch that that exact situation wouldn't pose a problem.

Nope. :wink:

yappobiscuits wrote:
jovialbard wrote:You would have to ask yappo's permission to put molpy molpy... grapevine grapevine on a shirt, but i seriously doubt he would come after you either :wink:

I would be honoured! :mrgreen: But, the molpy image is just a silhouette version of weebl's Badgers, so you'd probably need HIS permission to include that.
...Which makes me think of other artistic interpretaions of a molpy, and now I want BlitzGirl's molpy on a shirt...

That's actually feasible, since "molpy" is an OTT term and the drawing is original artwork.

lmjb1964 wrote:
cellocgw wrote:Hi there everyone.
Spoiler:
Just dropping off a little farewell note here. I'll watch the FB page for a while, but that's about it for me. Why? well, maybe...

I'm a hipster who left the OTT before it was cool.

or

I don't want to be the last one out and be responsible for shutting off the lights and locking the door.

or

It just sort of felt like the right time to do so.

Stay cool, all, and remember: wherever you go, there you are.

Carl

Where the chirp is BlitzGirl? OK, I'll do my best:
Spoiler:

On a more solemn note, things have taken a turn for me financially and I won't be able to spend as much Time with y'all as I used to.
(The Outside can be a chirped up place.)
I'll still be posting and ottifying and such, but probably won't be around as frequently. :(
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Spaceman Spiff

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:54 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
taixzo wrote:Aha! Another Red vs Blue fan!

Yay! :mrgreen:

Aw, I thought it was
:?

superluminal

Postby superluminal » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:56 pm UTC

Per (some ancient) papal decree

Spoiler:
3090ott.png

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:57 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Here are some colorizations you won't believe.
All natural.

So much 4 and 7! Thanks for sharing.
lmjb1964 wrote:Hey, is anyone here familiar with GarageBand? I recorded a song, but I don't know how to make it into an mp3 file.

Share > Export song to disk. :)

HES

Postby HES » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Hope some of you get the reference...

RvB was my immediate reaction, but I had always assumed they stole that from somewhere else, and therefore thought I was wrong.
(The latest season is dragging it's proverbial heels a bit, isn't it? Maybe it's just the contrast to the action of the freelancer arc)

np2320:

One of my favourites!

Whizbang wrote:Getting Out of Hand
Spoiler:

Another great OTThercomic! So much greatness!
He/Him/His Image

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

neopifex wrote:
Valarya wrote:Speaking of Beanish.. do we have anyone working on decoding it still? Our GLR did say in his blag post it could be figured out. Doing this would be JUST like having new newpix because there'd be a whole lot of dialogue we haven't seen before. I'd help if I were smart enough.

This person is working on it and has been writing blog posts about it: https://beanishlang.wordpress.com/

Other than that, I don't know of anyone who has publicly posted anything about a translation. I've been toying with it in my head, but this sort of thing isn't really my forte. I'm dying to know how the language works, though.

Thanks for that link. I'll have to sit down and read it when I have Time, er, time...

charlie_grumbles wrote:Here are some colorizations you won't believe.
All natural.

Wow, those are mind-blowing. Love to see those in person.

BlitzGirl wrote:On a more solemn note, things have taken a turn for me financially and I won't be able to spend as much Time with y'all as I used to.
(The Outside can be a chirped up place.)
I'll still be posting and ottifying and such, but probably won't be around as frequently. :(

Oh, no, BlitzGirl, I'm so sorry! Wish I could help, somehow. Well, do what you need to do. And of course any time you're able to post, we'll be happy to see you! *big hug*

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”