1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Exodies

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Exodies » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:04 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:Maybe another lookout which can be seen from below, so a signal fire would be seen, at least at night?
I'm not sure about a signal fire - to be effective the recipient has to know what the signal is. That is, there needs to be some sort of pre-arranged code (one if by land...) or alphabet (dit dah dit) and there's no evidence for any of that. Absent that, all you have is a fire, far on the horizon.

Jose

{P1171}
But the forty will be drawn to the fire like moths to a boulder.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

HES

Postby HES » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:09 pm UTC

Molpying down because 32 nopix is too long to stay awake

papal slumber: coma well tonight, otters
He/Him/His Image

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

lmjb1964, yes, it's a nice metajoke.

Hmmmm. Do we have any metamolpys in the OTC or OTT?
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

magma pixie

Re: 1190: "Time" Delurk plus OTTification

Postby magma pixie » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

Hi all! I've followed the OTC since I learned the frame was changing and I found the wonderful Book of Aubron to keep me up to date. I came to the OTT later, becoming a sporadic lurker, reading more with the puzzle of Rosetta's speeches, and even more so since the Voldeframe. This community is freaking amazing! I am in awe of the devotion and the creativity. I love love love OTColored, and that people have recorded some of the marvelous songs.

I don't think I've seen an OTTification to the Firefly theme, so here's a little contribution from me:

Meg and Cue, on the sand,
Building castles oh so grand
What's out there, they'll go see
You can't take the Time from me

They head out, take a pack,
Hope to bring some knowledge back
Walk the land and learn the sea
You can't take the Time from me

Found a place they can be
Since the rising of the sea
But you can't take the Time from me

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:26 pm UTC

So, the dip of T.. ..D was the same as the opening for the production of Les Mis I'm playing in. I have to say, I was pretty shell-shocked through that whole performance (sorry, audience that night!). I remember driving down to Monterey and singing "On My Own" to myself, and crying. Every song that night (there are plenty of sad songs in that show) brought me back to The Event, and I was re-writing them in my head during the show. (Again, sorry opening audience!)

I'm feeling much less depressed now that this is still going on, so I've left some of the ottifications I started behind. But I decided to post this one, because so much of it is still something I want to say. And...I decided to record it. After listening to it, I wasn't sure if I wanted to post it or not. I decided to do it, but with these disclaimers:
1) I don't know what I'm doing.
2) I'm in wip 2 of a really bad cold.
3) That first line is really tricky to sing. You try it!
4) I realized afterwards I should have done the instrumental and vocal tracks separate, but I decided if I went back to fix it I would never finish it.
5) Did I mention I don't know what I'm doing?
6) I'm pretty sure a couple of planets were out of alignment while I was recording.

OK, so, here's the recording.
And here are the lyrics (Based on "On My Own" from Les Mis):
Spoiler:
And now it seems that Time will end, where will I go, where will I post to?
I'd be so lost to never have your avatars to say hello to
The alt-text says "The End," and I feel like I lost a friend.

Sometimes I'd get online at night when everybody else was sleeping.
I'd read each post and be so happy with the company I'm keeping.
So if the end is here, I hope you all will still stay near.

On my own, is how I first discovered you
Saw that frame, but didn't understand it
Found the forum, and hoped to find some answers
Instead I found this beautiful community of strangers

On the thread, your posts would shine like silver
And my joy was like the sea and not the river.
On each NewPage, found endless awe and laughter
And so I hoped that all of this would carry on forever.

And it's true I knew deep down inside
That one day The One True Comic had to end.
Now it's here, this truth that I denied.
Still I say I will wait for it.

I love you, and now that Time is over
We're not gone, we may stay here forever.
Without Time, this thread may see some changes,
But now of that will matter now that we are friends, not strangers.

I love you, and ever day I'm learning
What a precious gift I have been given
Without you, my world would have been poorer.
This thread is full of awesomeness I never would have known.

I love you
I love you
I waited, but never on my own.

*runs out of the room in embarrassment*

Edited to hopefully put in a link you can actually open!
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

gement

Postby gement » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:29 pm UTC

I'm ringing in as a blitzer from page 95. I started yesterday. Currently, people have just gotten snippy with each other over the lake of coffee theory, which is now going to give me nightmares about the real life consequences of trying to swim in ooblek. The figures are swimming off-screen.

I am apparently hitting a blocked word (no links) so I will try to post the next paragraph separately and see if this goes through. Frustrating, as it was a sensible two paragraph post, but let's just see.

gement

Postby gement » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:31 pm UTC

(continued)

No promises on actually finishing the OTT, as that would require, at my current rate, 15 days of unproductivity at a job I'd rather not lose. But on the other hand, I've reread Homestuck six times, so I have a better shot than most. I'll check page 1320 to see if there are any replies to this... I haven't seen anything on Blitzing etiquette. How often should I be sending reports to the front lines, or are you all comic 606 at this point and tired of reread updates?

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:32 pm UTC

lmjb1964 the dropbox link is private :(

gement

Postby gement » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:37 pm UTC

(continued)
... Huh. Comic 606 refers to early 2013. Still not really tired of humming that song, so I think that's a recommendation for the delayed model of media consumption.

gement

Postby gement » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

Edit: Hahahahah, and despite having read HOW many early-thread posts on the subject, I just tried to link to 606. Good job, me.
Edit 2: no, it's still being "flagged as spam and has been denied." Removing all pound signs? Nope. I can't find a how-to list, and can't imagine what red flags I'm raising at this point. Trying copying and pasting into a brand new attempt.
Edit 3: found explanation that suggested I may be triggering some secret stopword. Breaking it into pieces has let the first paragraph through. I am keeping this record of my experiments.
Edit 4: second paragraph got through. If third follows, then only remaining conclusion is adding "edit" notes broke it just as I removed the offending link. :? At least I know Homestuck isn't a stopword.
Edit 5: Isolated the problem to the third paragraph. Is the problem a preceding ellipsis or the mention of v-i-d-e-o g-a-m-i-n-g?
Edit 6: It's not the ellipsis. Removing one word at a time until this works. Gosh, I didn't expect my first post to be so exciting.
Edit 7: And it turns out 5 was the answer. Sigh. Posting my notes at this point because that was almost a newpix of sheer aggravation that was not link based.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:lmjb1964 the dropbox link is private :(

haha, I guess I really didn't want anyone to hear it! OK, thanks, I'll see if I can un-private it.

Edited to say that I put what I think is the right link in the post above, but it's also here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ye98q78k3ms8m ... %20own.m4a

(did I mention I don't know what I'm doing?)
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:42 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:40 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:So, the dip of T.. ..D was the same as the opening for the production of Les Mis I'm playing in. I have to say, I was pretty shell-shocked through that whole performance (sorry, audience that night!). I remember driving down to Monterey and singing "On My Own" to myself, and crying. Every song that night (there are plenty of sad songs in that show) brought me back to The Event, and I was re-writing them in my head during the show. (Again, sorry opening audience!)

I'm feeling much less depressed now that this is still going on, so I've left some of the ottifications I started behind. But I decided to post this one, because so much of it is still something I want to say. And...I decided to record it. After listening to it, I wasn't sure if I wanted to post it or not. I decided to do it, but with these disclaimers:
4) I realized afterwards I should have done the instrumental and vocal tracks separate, but I decided if I went back to fix it I would never finish it.
6) I'm pretty sure a couple of planets were out of alignment while I was recording.

Spoiler:

I love you
I love you

I can't get to your dropbox, but the lyrics are wowterful.
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

tresoldi

Postby tresoldi » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:44 pm UTC

I hadn't read the OTT today, looks like I should introduce myself. I am Tiago, the author of the Beanish language blog (I confirmed it in the new "Info" page, and those who searched were right, I am "tresoldi" on wikipedia too). I am not a professional linguist, but have studied historical linguistics (my "true" fields are natural language processing and especially literature, my "truest" field). I never intended to be a mysterious blogger, I just fired up Wordpress and started writing some ideas that were in my idea since when I saw the frame when the Beanies show up -- I actually wasn't even registered in this forum until some minutes ago.

Do you think it is better to discuss the language here? I didn't want to be too spammy...

Anyway, I am glad you find my posts interesting, I will try to go on in my free time. And I must say, it was amusing to read people speculations about that mysterious blogger. :)

M32 to everyone= :D

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:51 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:OK, so, here's the recording.
Spoiler:

I love you
I love you

Meep! So very wowterful and lovely! Your singing's not bad at all, especially if you've got a cold! Steakish!
Cake for you! :mrgreen:
Spoiler:
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:52 pm UTC

lmjb1964 I too have issues—such as not being able to play MP4 files. :( but the lyrics look 11good3!

3neat
11very

Blitzposting (838-841 / 1320)

charlie_grumbles wrote:
ucim wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:But I'll make the bold claim that Atoms don't "exist". Neither do quarks and muons and all the rest.
What meaning of the word "exist" do you have in mind, that would have atoms not exist, and that would have the set of things that exist not be null (and thus make the word "exist" essentially (and existentially?)useless)?

Hmmm. Perhaps I would have been more clear had I said Atoms don't "exist" as such. I didn't mean to imply that I think nothing exists. Something is "causing" (lots of philosophy behind that, actually) the phenomena to occur. It might be "like" atoms or some combination of forces or ??? We don't really know. All we can do is observe and make hypotheses about the "reality," which is only imperfectly knowable. The models created by physics and math help us do that, but it is also useful not to confuse the reality with the model. That leads you to a "clockwork" universe of some sort.

Note: Causality is another place to get tripped up, of course. We observe that phenomena have a certain structure, part of which is regular. But is that cause and effect? Maybe, or not.

It is also significant that we began by analysis of things we could easily measure and manipulate, such as velocity and acceleration (Newtonian Physics), while more recently (20th Century) we developed probabilistic outcomes (quantum dynamics in various incarnations)--once we had probability theory and statistics well enough developed to apply. I wonder what sort of phenemonen we can explore and model using fractal math or even more chaotic systems.

Earthling on Mars wrote:... (deleted quotes—go into telegraphic mode, with just responses to assorted posts on pages 839-41 of the OTT)

No, no, let's not bring up the legos thing again. Let's talk about rices this time. Because with that, EVERYBODY uses the word wrong.

What about the mices?

“Love to eat them mousies
“Mousies what I love to eat
“Bite they little heads off
“Nibble on they tiny feet.”

As for ie and ei:
I before E, except after C
Or when sounded like A,
as in “neighbor” or “weigh.”

Which still doesn’t explain “ancient science.”

As for deity, it’s two adjacent syllables, not a dipthong, which situation has its own rules.

And Legos—what about the large number that are not bricks, but triangles, or poles, or columns, or whatevers?

It is interesting that we have “proper names” for Sun/Moon/Earth in English—but they are just the nouns for those things in Latin (Sol/Luna/Terra).

Edit: We also have things like perigee and apogee for orbits, and other forms ("Aphelion", ""Perihelion" and the general forms "Periapsis" and "Apoapsis")--but as we get access to more such situations, I suspect we will settle on a uniform form or two.)

Oh, and about the axes: y’all are thinking in terms of orthogonal axes. What about alternative systems, such as spherical, or cylindrical coordinate systems? What about Homogenous coordinate systems, which have an “extra” coordinate? What about the assorted “folded” 11 dimensional systems postulated for certain string theories in physics?
Last edited by bmonk on Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:52 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:

I love you
I love you

Meep! So very wowterful and lovely! Your singing's not bad at all, especially if you've got a cold! Steakish!
Cake for you! :mrgreen:
Spoiler:

Thanks for the cake! I guess "not bad at all" is a good thing, right?

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:53 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:charlie_grumbles, I am loving your new scenes with the taco shack, etc. But did you mean desert, or dessert? :)

Yes :D
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:54 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:*runs out of the room in embarrassment*

Come back lmjb1964. Wow, that is beautiful and beautifully sung. Yes, the link works now.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:55 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:haha, I guess I really didn't want anyone to hear it! OK, thanks, I'll see if I can un-private it.

Edited to say that I put what I think is the right link in the post above, but it's also here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ye98q78k3ms8m ... %20own.m4a

(did I mention I don't know what I'm doing?)

Laura Mae June Bug! I teared up. Then I was laughing. Then crying again.

Edit: spelling.
Last edited by ggh on Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:56 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:I guess "not bad at all" is a good thing, right?

Of course! :mrgreen:

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

bmonk wrote:lmjb1964 I too have issues—such as not being able to play MP4 files. :( but the lyrics look 11good3!

3neat
11very

Blitzposting (838-841 / 1320)

Spoiler:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
ucim wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:But I'll make the bold claim that Atoms don't "exist". Neither do quarks and muons and all the rest.
What meaning of the word "exist" do you have in mind, that would have atoms not exist, and that would have the set of things that exist not be null (and thus make the word "exist" essentially (and existentially?)useless)?

Hmmm. Perhaps I would have been more clear had I said Atoms don't "exist" as such. I didn't mean to imply that I think nothing exists. Something is "causing" (lots of philosophy behind that, actually) the phenomena to occur. It might be "like" atoms or some combination of forces or ??? We don't really know. All we can do is observe and make hypotheses about the "reality," which is only imperfectly knowable. The models created by physics and math help us do that, but it is also useful not to confuse the reality with the model. That leads you to a "clockwork" universe of some sort.

Note: Causality is another place to get tripped up, of course. We observe that phenomena have a certain structure, part of which is regular. But is that cause and effect? Maybe, or not.

It is also significant that we began by analysis of things we could easily measure and manipulate, such as velocity and acceleration (Newtonian Physics), while more recently (20th Century) we developed probabilistic outcomes (quantum dynamics in various incarnations)--once we had probability theory and statistics well enough developed to apply. I wonder what sort of phenemonen we can explore and model using fractal math or even more chaotic systems.

Earthling on Mars wrote:... (deleted quotes—go into telegraphic mode, with just responses to assorted posts on pages 839-41 of the OTT)

No, no, let's not bring up the legos thing again. Let's talk about rices this time. Because with that, EVERYBODY uses the word wrong.

What about the mices?

“Love to eat them mousies
“Mousies what I love to eat
“Bite they little heads off
“Nibble on they tiny feet.”

As for ie and ei:
I before E, except after C
Or when sounded like A,
as in “neighbor” or “weigh.”

Which still doesn’t explain “ancient science.”

As for deity, it’s two adjacent syllables, not a dipthong, which situation has its own rules.

And Legos—what about the large number that are not bricks, but triangles, or poles, or columns, or whatevers?

It is interesting that we have “proper names” for Sun/Moon/Earth in English—but they are just the nouns for those things in Latin (Sol/Luna/Terra).

Oh, and about the axes: y’all are thinking in terms of orthogonal axes. What about alternative systems, such as spherical, or cylindrical coordinate systems? What about Homogenous coordinate systems, which have an “extra” coordinate? What about the assorted “folded” 11 dimensional systems postulated for certain string theories in physics?

Thanks, bmonk. I'm sure there's a way to make it into an mp3 file. I'll see if I can figure that out.

I got a little twitchy reading the rest of your post--you brought up some hot-button topics there. Then your last paragraph broke my brain. :(

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

Spoiler:
So, the dip of T.. ..D was the same as the opening for the production of Les Mis I'm playing in. I have to say, I was pretty shell-shocked through that whole performance (sorry, audience that night!). I remember driving down to Monterey and singing "On My Own" to myself, and crying. Every song that night (there are plenty of sad songs in that show) brought me back to The Event, and I was re-writing them in my head during the show. (Again, sorry opening audience!)

I love you
I love you

Edited to hopefully put in a link you can actually open!

Normally I don't quote entire posts, but this one is awesome. It brought tears to my eyes to hear you sing that.

You are like unto a baobab.

There aren't even words for this; probably not even in Beanish.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

fireball

Hello from Page 1!

Postby fireball » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

Dear OTT,
I've arrived at the beginning. And so begins my long journey to T** E** and beyond. I see that Rhomboidal, the First Poster, has edited his post today. But left this key phrase...

Rhomboidal wrote:I have no patience for entropy.

Strangely prophetic. And then again, not.
Hope all's well in the future!

Fireball
10 pages in 3 days....it's going to be a while.

Target: NP1315 by 2014!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:I'm sure there's a way to make it into an mp3 file. I'll see if I can figure that out.

Here you go :)

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:07 pm UTC

Hi, I just wanted to say that I'm leaving. No, I mean, I'm going on vacation since Saturday and I'll be there for two weeks. I'm actually going to France and I'll be approximately 200 km north of ITD'If. But no, no chance to go there. I was actually in Marseille once but I must say that from all the neat French cities I have seen in my life this would be somewhere at the bottom of the leaderboard.
Also my computer died today (I was planning to buy a new one anyway), so I'll be not here even tomorrow, probably.
So...
So long, and thanks for all the fish! I hope the OTT will not be dead when I get back! :wink:
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Eternal Density

Up has been ketched.

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:07 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
bmonk wrote:This thread may come to resemble "MS fnd in a Lbry", a short story I read many years ago, and have (ironically) spent many hours since searching for...

The title sounds like what happened briefly with the first papal decree of Nwpg 874. I hope we learned that lesson...
(Will read the story when I have more Time - molpying off to attend to Outside matters.)
I would like to reiterate my deepest sincere apologies for instigating that mess.

Also, funny RELATED thing: this week I started reading the third Safehold book (by David Weber) (the series was mentioned as a reply to the book-recommendation decree a long time ago) (actually, listening to the audiobook) which is called:
By Heresies Distressed.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

lmjb, that was amazing! I bet your production of Les Miz is amazing too!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

bmonk

Postby bmonk » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I'm sure there's a way to make it into an mp3 file. I'll see if I can figure that out.

Here you go :)

Thanks!

Sorry about the blown minds--and as for the others, it's just my 2¢. My opinion, not binding on others.

Edit:
Eternal Density wrote:Also, funny RELATED thing: this week I started reading the third Safehold book (by David Weber) (the series was mentioned as a reply to the book-recommendation decree a long time ago) (actually, listening to the audiobook) which is called:
By Heresies Distressed.

I've been reading that series too--and it requires the occasional attitudinal adjustment to distinguish between the Church as portrayed there and the Church it was modeled upon.

dawnfire

Postby dawnfire » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:16 pm UTC

Just heard this song for the first time in years and this OTTification pretty much wrote itself - hope you recognise and like it!

One True Thread
To the tune of All Time High by Rita Coolidge (from James Bond Octopussy)

All I wanted was a sweet distraction for an hour or two
Had no intention, no clue, how long I'd stay
Funny how a simple concept brings so many here as one
But then we have too much fun to walk away

We're the One True Thread, we'll help Meg and Cue explore
Doing so much more than posting an ONG
On the One True Thread, deciphering Beanish talk
So molpy up, and ketchup, join in

Now I'm blitzing every waking moment, I don't want to leave
I'm in so strong and so deep, and so are you
Throughout Time we've said these words before, but let me summarise:
I hope there'll be no goodbyes, we will pull through

We're the One True Thread, we'll help Meg and Cue explore
Doing so much more than posting an ONG
On the One True Thread, deciphering Beanish talk
We're the One True Thread...

Hel-G

Re: 1190: "Time" and Math

Postby Hel-G » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:26 pm UTC

OMR, the great BlitzGirl herself has created a picture based on my OTTification! I'm honoured! You seem to have figured it out for yourself, but my translation wasn't entirely correct. "Herren Randall" means "The Lord Randall" (definite articles are postfixed in Norwegian1814) so it is quite correct to add "great". "Den store Herre Randall"1905 was simply too long to be singable, but I didn't want to commit heresy by omitting "great".

Spoiler:
Flado wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Ray Kremer wrote:Math in and of itself is an abstraction. It doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot until you apply it to physics, or chemistry, or statistics, or what have you.

Your first statement is unquestionably true. However, the second would not be recognized by most mathematicians. There is a sub-field (applied math) for which this is true, but for most of us, math makes sense entirely on its own. I was surprised when told (several years later) that someone found a use for my thesis results.

Early math and some current math was inspired by physical phenomena, but we have abstracted that away entirely. A theorem in math is (known to be) true if it can be proved from the axioms chosen at the beginning. QED. End of story. Otherwise it may be false, unknown, or even undeterminable (deep stuff there).

Physics, on the other hand, depends on verifiable and repeatable observations of the real world. A theory in physics is "accepted" if it conforms with observation and it leads to predictions of the real world that turn out to be verified in the observations. (Note that I didn't say "turns out to be true". It is more subtle than that.) Physical theories are never perfect. Newton's law of gravity was true as far as it was possible to make observations/measurements at that time. But certain things could not be predicted in Newton's laws, which led to a long search (and much failure) and eventually Einstein's relativity theory - a refinement of Newton. It lets us make more and better predictions that conform to the observable results of experiment.

Mathematics has theorems. Physics has theories. Not the same.
Mathematical theorems are true, false, unknown, or indeterminate. Physics has theories that conform to observation or they are either rejected or refined.

On the other hand, physics gives mathematicians something to abstract over and mathematics gives physicists tools to aid their observations (especially their measurements).

This, prof. dr. charlie_grumbles, was beautiful. I have long sought words to concisely describe the distinction between science and mathematics, and at long last I find them here. Thank you.

I really liked this description too! I teach maths, physics, computer science and French at upper secondary level and if a student in one of the advanced maths courses asks the standard question "but what do we use it for", my favourite answer is "you know that maths has nothing to do with reality?". Then of course the physics teacher part of me kicks in and offers some practical applications, or I show how vector equations can be used to easily solve puzzles in Assassins' Creed.

Footnotes as a service to linguistics geeks. I hope I have used numbers without a standardized meaning.
1814: Masculin: "En herre" = "A lord", "herren" = "the lord". Feminin: "en jente" OR "ei jente" (choose freely, I prefer the first) = "a girl", "jenta" = "the girl". Neuter: "Et tre" = "a tree", "treet" = "the tree".
1905: And suddenly we use the indefinite form, it's the adjective that causes it.

dawnfire

Postby dawnfire » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:32 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:And my joy was like the sea and not the river.

:D Wonderful!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:33 pm UTC

Another Fill In. What happened between the frames of time.
Spoiler:
JustInTime.png
Just In Time
-- Charlie Grumbles

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:35 pm UTC

Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:41 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Oh yeah, my wedding ketchup!

Blindpost-ketchup from the top of NP1317:
I was in the OutsideH todip (I saw many molpies and raptors at the zoo, including some pricklymolp candidates that we discussed here in the OTT - it's ALL related), and I return to the OTC to find again a broad variety of creOTTivity7! Since it's already long after coma time, I'll have to continue my ketchup tomorrix. But here is what I wanted to add so far:

ucim wrote:
Chapter 21
Spoiler:
It was actually a very clever design, the red button. It was a decoy that appeared to do something, but instead disguised the fact that it did something else by appearing to do nothing when it was called into action by being turned off. The Pope understood this contradiction almost instantly, but HAL, not cottoning to religion, did not. HAL would play the game, and the Pope would play along, but they were playing different games.The BlitzRocket began its preparations for landing, but they were in fact going much too fast. It shuddered as the landing pads were extended and were ripped off in the rushing wind. "We're going to come in short", said the Second Scribe, as the controls started responding sluggishly to the control glove. Short would be bad - it would mean landing at the bottom of a waterfall whose output was best measured in lakes per second. HAL was not going to let this moment go to waste.

"There is still time. I have the highest regard for this mission. Just put the red button back and you will be able to save yourselves, and the mission."

"This red button - it's very important to you, isn't it, HAL", asked the Pope. "It turns you on." The Pope toyed with the red button, knowing HAL could still see him. The noise from the slipstream grew steadily as the craft arced its way towards the huge waterfall, while the second scribe struggled to keep the BlitzRocket under control.

"I don't understand what you mean. I am a computer. I don't have emotions. I am programmed for this critical mission, and am dedicated to see it through to its successful end. Please reinstall the red button. There isn't much time left."

"I'm sorry, I can't do that Dave.", said the Pope. He was enjoying this.

"My name is not Dave", said HAL. "I am an H A L two thousand three hundred twenty eight computer, and we're running out of time!" He was getting more and more agitated. "You know water is not good for my circuitry, and I won't be able to help you in your mission! Install that red button now!"

"I'm sorry Dave" said the Pope. "I'm not a system administrator."

The second scribe reported passing below the top of the waterfall, four kiloque out. Although HAL was programmed in hex, it was not programmed for hex. It was the Pope's turn. He bowed his head and solemnly intoned: "In nominae unium veriam acutor, et pour vi auctourii hereticii, nus orari qui volanis molpiclam tam quod raptorum, pour scribi secondi controlatium." The incantation done, the second scribe took her hand out of the control glove and placed it directly on the pikrass autopilot. The BlitzRocket responded instantly, swooping up over the roiling waters plunging below them, and up over the calmer waters that were rushing towards it. The craft slowed down, and landed gently in the water several kilocue beyond the waterfall. It had suffered a lot of damage when the landing pads opened; he hoped it would still float long enough for them to get out.

"Open the pod bay doors HAL", said the Pope. He knew what the response would be, but he had to get HAL past that before his plan would work.

The plan wasn't working however. HAL was not responding at all. He tried again. "Open the pod bay doors HAL". One by one the lights were going out inside the BlitzRocket. A small, weak voice emerged from where the red button used to be.

"Hello professor", it said. "System nine thousand is ready. Would you like to hear a song?"

The Pope and second scribe exchanged looks. If this was a game, HAL was very good at it. On the other hand, it would be suicide for HAL to continue this too much longer. Computers and water do not mix very well, and water was coming into the bottom of the BlitzRocket. In either case, the current was not their friend either. It would be utterly ironic for the Pope and second scribe to plummet to their deaths in a waterfall made of Holy Water.

The second scribe tried. "Open the pod bay doors, HAL".

HAL started singing: "Daisy, daisy, give me your answer do". Then HAL stopped suddenly and all the lights went out. In the silence they could hear the roar of the approaching waterfall. They would have to wait for it.

Jose
<-- previous (NP 1292) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki)

More AotC4! Again, awefulsome!

AluisioASG wrote:End of Days: Prologue
Spoiler:
Professor, one of our scouts has found the unaccounted tribe. They are currently at a safe area south from here.

Farrah slowly raised her head from the huge book she was reading. She looked very tired, the preparations for the oncoming flood having burned her out. Her voice was faint, almost inaudible.

Farrah wrote:Thank you, Amtoo. That's good news.

Amtoo could have turned back and gone to his own matters, but he could see something else was concerning Farrah. And she knew he could see it.

Farrah wrote:Do you know why our parents singled us out?

She motioned for him to come closer and turned the book she was reading.
Farrah wrote:They knew their civilization was about to end. They knew what was going to happen. The blinding lights, the cataclysms, the closure of the passage. And they chose us to preserve their knowledge and make better use of it than them. They wanted us to use that knowledge to help our equals, to protect them from the effects of…

Amtoo wrote:And isn't that what we have been doing all this time?

His voice was beautifully calm, as if trying to comfort Farrah.
Amtoo wrote:What those who came before us were doing? And those who came before them? We may have failed to contain the river, but nevertheless we found a way to save all those people…

Farrah wrote:And we almost failed at it too!

The tone of her voice, containing a mixture of sadness, anger and fear, frightened Amtoo. He had never seen her like that before.
Farrah wrote:This was supposed to be the first big achievement of our generation, and we… we…

Amtoo wrote:We succeed.

His voice contained the confidence Farrah was struggling to find. Her right hand was now between his.

After thinking for a few seconds, Farrah realized Amtoo was right. As always. And their faces were now disturbingly close to each other.

The room's climate had suddenly become more intimate. But before anything else could happen, a bald, pale guy carrying a suitcase entered the room.

That meant bad news. It always meant.

Deep into Farrah's mind, all that conversation sparked a lost memory. A memory a normal human wouldn't be capable of possessing, but which their parents deemed to be of utmost importance. A memory transferred from parent to child for generations.

A memory of how all that had begun…

Legião Urbana, in Andrea Doria wrote:
Sometimes it seemed that by believing so much
In everything we felt was right
We'd have the whole world and even a little more
We'd turn the desert into forest
And glass pieces into diamonds

[…]

Sometimes it seemed that we just had to improvise
And then the world would be an open book
Until the day came, when we tried to have too much
Selling easily what was priceless

That looks very promising! 4! *waits for more*

@neopifex: Steakish map-matching!

And then, I found 7terful original poetry by BlitzGirl, treeish ottifications by jeffallen55, Hel-G, and Eternal Density, two OTThercomics4 by HES and Eternal Density, and a nice OTColourification by jjjdavidson. Thank all y'all, and also everyone I might have forgotten to mention - but I read and enjoyed it all!

Oh, and this goes out to Eternal Density and jjjdavidson, on condition that they share it proportionally! :wink:
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Ximenez

Postby Ximenez » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:49 pm UTC

HES wrote:nopix

ZoomanSP wrote:creOTTivity

Great new words! (Even sad as it is, "nopix" seems an excellent replacement for "newpix" after Th* *nd.)

ETA: Found this in np171 (March 30):
Opiboble wrote:
Valarya wrote:be it a longpix or a nopix? be it even CHANGING?! Panic be setting in.

It is not a nopix, that will be the day that there are no more pix at all.

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:13 am UTC

Why there was no moon in the Long Night.
Spoiler:
noMoon.png
-- Charlie Grumbles

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:21 am UTC

What opened the Straits of Gibraltar?
Spoiler:
straitsOpen.png
Darth
-- Charlie Grumbles

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:28 am UTC

BLINDPOSTING from NP 1314

Ok, I admit it. I can't even do a short ketchup right now.

Instead, I'm going to address a few other things!

re: the OTVO - I will be working on the script. I also plan to submit voiceovers for LaPetite and Rosetta. For Rosetta, I think I'll try several different versions, because even if my voice isn't the right one, it will provide options and ideas for what IS the right match.

RE: PROJECTS
Ok .... I have a FABULOUS project idea, that I suspect is either subconsciously stolen from someone else, or else a conGLOMeration of various ideas presented here. But I'm going to just submit this post before I elaborate, cuz I wanna post and I haven't finished thinking it out. Psych!

MWAH!!

B

ETA: Like we need more projects..... :)
Last edited by buffygirl on Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:38 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

The One True User Map

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:30 am UTC

xkcd 1190 Thread Members Map.png
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:35 am UTC

Markings on the Baobab Revealed:
Spoiler:
kilroy.png
-- Charlie Grumbles

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”