1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4886
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

iisjreg wrote:Things I will missin no particular order:

Mustard watching
Molpy hunting
Hats
Maps
Songs
Linguistics
Astronomy

Loopists
Churches
Popes

Newpixbot
GIFs
ONG
Cakes!

Ninja'd by Valarya, but FTFY. Don't let the E** of T*** make you think we're going to stop...

ETA I've been poped a lot recently. Maybe because my post rate hasn't dropped while many others have.
Papal decree: Write/post/create a song/rONG/OTTification/OTThercomic/colourification/story about one of the molpies cuegan encountered (or find a picture of one on the internet)
Last edited by HES on Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
ZoomanSP
Posts: 1900
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 11:23 am UTC
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:22 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:The Tale of LaPetite
Spoiler:
It was a warm morning when LaPetite awoke. She yawned sleepily as she placed her well worn beret upon her head and slipped out of the tent. Her people were gathered around the morning cook fire, burning a small pile of old dried driftwood under a dented black kettle. The smell of roots and snake meat filled the air and made her tummy grumble in anticipation. She sat, waiting for her breakfast, as the members of her small tribe chatted about the state of the river and complaining about how long it took to fetch water from it.

It wasn't long before the food was ready and LaPetite dug in happily. It was well salted of course, but they had also managed to dig up some extra seasoning from the scrublands nearby. LaPetite wasn't sure what the hill people called the herb, but she called it delicious.

As she rubbed her chipped wooden bowl clean with sand and salt she began to wonder where Megan and Cue were. They had been spending quite a bit of time down by the sea lately. They seemed to be having fun with something, though LaPetite wasn’t sure what they were up to. The oddest thing about it was that only a few days ago they started carrying large pieces of salvage wood down to the water with them. It wasn’t a short hike, so it must have been exhausting, but those two never really complained about hard work. In fact they seemed to enjoy building things and solving puzzles. There wasn’t much to do around camp this time of year but collect water from the river or search out food from the scrublands, so maybe they were bored. Whatever they were up to, LaPetite was intrigued.

In truth, she had been intrigued ever since she saw the mechanism that Megan built and rolled down to the sea. Bunny told her it was called a trebooshay, or something like that. She explained that it was an ancient device used to destroy castles in the age of the ancestors, but that they were usually made much bigger. Bunny laughed when LaPetite asked what they would need with such a thing. “Who knows with those two” she said good-naturedly. LaPetite’s curiosity was seriously peaked.

Unfortunately, no one else in their little camp seemed to be interested at all in what Megan and Cue were up to. Some of the young children would go down by the sea to play and swim, a good way to stay cool in the heat, but they just didn’t care what Megan and Cue were doing with all that wood or the trebooshay.

Well, today LaPetite had had enough. She put her foot down and decided that tonight she was going to go down to the sea and see what they were up to. Bunny reminded her not to stamp her feet, it was rude. As the heat of the day broke Cue returned for supper. Meg wasn’t with him, so she must have been down by the sea still. LaPetite quickly finished her meal and while everyone was still busy slipped away and hurried down to the sea.

It took some time for LaPetite to get close enough for the structure to become clear in the darkening twilight sky. It was enormous! Bigger than the biggest tent LaPetite had ever seen! At the bottom was a sprawling castle made of the salty sand. It was beautiful and magnificent at the same time, and made the modest castles the children constructed look like... well, child’s play. But that wasn’t all! Above the sprawling castle towered a two tiered scaffolding of wood, with a carefully constructed railing around the first tier. It looked to LaPetite like an enormous barge on stilts. And crowning the top was a castle with an intricacy and beauty that put the larger castle on the ground to shame.

LaPetite ran toward the structure, giggling to herself in excitement. She walked around the castle marvelling at how every tower had the little ups and downs at the top that castles are supposed to have. Then she looked closer and saw how the central section of the castle looked like it had a smaller version of the very same castle on top of it! Her mind was boggled! Did that little castle have an even smaller castle on top of it? As LaPetite moved close to get a better look she glanced upward and the more intricate sand castle looming way up high over her. As her eyes moved down to the middle tier of the scaffold she finally notice Megan, laying underneath the top tier that held the pretty castle. LaPetite paused and heard the steady breathing of sleep. LaPetite decided against climbing up to the top, she didn’t want to wake Megan. Instead she stood, in excited silence for a moment, looking over every detail of the beautiful castle.

After a few moments she turned and left, excited to tell others what Megan and Cue were up to. They didn’t seem all that interested, and didn’t even believe that the castle was as grand as she said it was. Isn’t that the way of it? Adults never believe what children tell them. But LaPetite didn’t care, she wanted to go back the next day and see what Meg and Cue would do next.

But LaPetite never got to see what they would build next. The next morning Cue left early but returned with Megan only a few hours later. They walked into camp looking sad. They spoke to some of the other tribe members about going exploring, they smiled and nodded pleasantly. It was a peculiar thing to do, but Meg and Cue were sometimes peculiar people. Before long their bags were packed. LaPetite watched the lone flag in Megan’s hand flutter in the wind as they left...

Really baobabish! Steakish! *waits for more*

Dracomax wrote:
fatness wrote:
Dracomax wrote:With All of the OTTification talent here, and no longer getting sidetracked every newpix by the OTC, I was wondering what people thought about Ottifying an entire musical--I was thinking Les Mis, into the wood, or Ragtime, but anything would be cool.

So, what do all of y'all think?

Avenue Q might be fun.

What do you do, with a BA in Manips
theres something I'm supposed to draw?

The internet is for TIME?

Everyone's a little bit timewaiter?

This. Sung by Trekkie Molpy?
Wait on.

Image
Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

magma pixie
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:43 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time" Delurk plus OTTification

Postby magma pixie » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:32 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
magma pixie wrote:Hi all! I've followed the OTC since I learned the frame was changing and I found the wonderful Book of Aubron to keep me up to date. I came to the OTT later, becoming a sporadic lurker, reading more with the puzzle of Rosetta's speeches, and even more so since the Voldeframe. This community is freaking amazing! I am in awe of the devotion and the creativity. I love love love OTColored, and that people have recorded some of the marvelous songs.

I don't think I've seen an OTTification to the Firefly theme, so here's a little contribution from me:

Meg and Cue, on the sand,
Building castles oh so grand
What's out there, they'll go see
You can't take the Time from me

They head out, take a pack,
Hope to bring some knowledge back
Walk the land and learn the sea
You can't take the Time from me

Found a place they can be
Since the rising of the sea
But you can't take the Time from me


This is beautiful! Now I just need a recording of it, set to play whenever I open my browser. :D


Thank you! I'm no singer, but I would be honoured if you or someone else were to record it. :D

(Edited to fix format mustard.)

User avatar
charlie_grumbles
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm UTC
Location: Self Imposed Exile

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Huh. For some reason I was expecting more Beanie action (must be off-flashlight).
Image

Beanie action? BEANIE ACTION???? Are you sure about that? Wellll. OK, but I warned you. Better spoiler it.
Spoiler:
Image

Redundant
Spoiler:
beanieAction.png
Beanie action - after dark
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

User avatar
Valarya
Posts: 975
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:27 pm UTC
Location: Nashville

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Valarya » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

Heading out of town for the wipend! See you when I get back. :)

Molpy out!
Spoiler:
Image
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Image

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9049
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Beanie Action!

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

@charlie: That's Beanie action, all right! Image Image
Valarya wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:And it wouldn't be the same around here without you, either, Val! Less cupcakes, for one. Image
Warning: rapid cupcake fire!
Image
That gif makes me want to have all the cupcakes right nao! Also: Image
I see your rapid cupcake fire and match an OTTcupcake-athon.
Spoiler:
Image

Woo! Cupcake-athon! Yummy! :D And much less seizure-inducing!

TimeLurker wrote:I was reading through the blag comments and someone mentioned that the first-post had changed.

I looked back to NP0001 and sure enough, the image is now np0001.

Oh good, I hadn't realized that rhomboidal had changed the newpix as well - very considerate!

yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Squee! Image An ottified song for me! A theme song, even! And it's so catchy! And yappo-fied! Image
(You wouldn't happen to have an mp3 version, would you? :D )
Thank you so much for the Past Present, yappo (even if it took me forever to get to it)! Image
This is so awesomeful that I had to make you a gif-gift:
Image

Yay, wedding ketchup! Now I can stop pestering you about it :P
Have an mp3.
And OMR my very own guitary smiley! ImageImage Love you, BG! Image

Thanks for the mp3! Image Love you too!

jovialbard wrote:The Tale of LaPetite
Spoiler:
It was a warm morning when LaPetite awoke. She yawned sleepily as she placed her well worn beret upon her head and slipped out of the tent. Her people were gathered around the morning cook fire, burning a small pile of old dried driftwood under a dented black kettle. The smell of roots and snake meat filled the air and made her tummy grumble in anticipation. She sat, waiting for her breakfast, as the members of her small tribe chatted about the state of the river and complaining about how long it took to fetch water from it.

It wasn't long before the food was ready and LaPetite dug in happily. It was well salted of course, but they had also managed to dig up some extra seasoning from the scrublands nearby. LaPetite wasn't sure what the hill people called the herb, but she called it delicious.

As she rubbed her chipped wooden bowl clean with sand and salt she began to wonder where Megan and Cue were. They had been spending quite a bit of time down by the sea lately. They seemed to be having fun with something, though LaPetite wasn’t sure what they were up to. The oddest thing about it was that only a few days ago they started carrying large pieces of salvage wood down to the water with them. It wasn’t a short hike, so it must have been exhausting, but those two never really complained about hard work. In fact they seemed to enjoy building things and solving puzzles. There wasn’t much to do around camp this time of year but collect water from the river or search out food from the scrublands, so maybe they were bored. Whatever they were up to, LaPetite was intrigued.

In truth, she had been intrigued ever since she saw the mechanism that Megan built and rolled down to the sea. Bunny told her it was called a trebooshay, or something like that. She explained that it was an ancient device used to destroy castles in the age of the ancestors, but that they were usually made much bigger. Bunny laughed when LaPetite asked what they would need with such a thing. “Who knows with those two” she said good-naturedly. LaPetite’s curiosity was seriously peaked.

Unfortunately, no one else in their little camp seemed to be interested at all in what Megan and Cue were up to. Some of the young children would go down by the sea to play and swim, a good way to stay cool in the heat, but they just didn’t care what Megan and Cue were doing with all that wood or the trebooshay.

Well, today LaPetite had had enough. She put her foot down and decided that tonight she was going to go down to the sea and see what they were up to. Bunny reminded her not to stamp her feet, it was rude. As the heat of the day broke Cue returned for supper. Meg wasn’t with him, so she must have been down by the sea still. LaPetite quickly finished her meal and while everyone was still busy slipped away and hurried down to the sea.

It took some time for LaPetite to get close enough for the structure to become clear in the darkening twilight sky. It was enormous! Bigger than the biggest tent LaPetite had ever seen! At the bottom was a sprawling castle made of the salty sand. It was beautiful and magnificent at the same time, and made the modest castles the children constructed look like... well, child’s play. But that wasn’t all! Above the sprawling castle towered a two tiered scaffolding of wood, with a carefully constructed railing around the first tier. It looked to LaPetite like an enormous barge on stilts. And crowning the top was a castle with an intricacy and beauty that put the larger castle on the ground to shame.

LaPetite ran toward the structure, giggling to herself in excitement. She walked around the castle marvelling at how every tower had the little ups and downs at the top that castles are supposed to have. Then she looked closer and saw how the central section of the castle looked like it had a smaller version of the very same castle on top of it! Her mind was boggled! Did that little castle have an even smaller castle on top of it? As LaPetite moved close to get a better look she glanced upward and the more intricate sand castle looming way up high over her. As her eyes moved down to the middle tier of the scaffold she finally notice Megan, laying underneath the top tier that held the pretty castle. LaPetite paused and heard the steady breathing of sleep. LaPetite decided against climbing up to the top, she didn’t want to wake Megan. Instead she stood, in excited silence for a moment, looking over every detail of the beautiful castle.

After a few moments she turned and left, excited to tell others what Megan and Cue were up to. They didn’t seem all that interested, and didn’t even believe that the castle was as grand as she said it was. Isn’t that the way of it? Adults never believe what children tell them. But LaPetite didn’t care, she wanted to go back the next day and see what Meg and Cue would do next.

But LaPetite never got to see what they would build next. The next morning Cue left early but returned with Megan only a few hours later. They walked into camp looking sad. They spoke to some of the other tribe members about going exploring, they smiled and nodded pleasantly. It was a peculiar thing to do, but Meg and Cue were sometimes peculiar people. Before long their bags were packed. LaPetite watched the lone flag in Megan’s hand flutter in the wind as they left...
Yay! Treeish story, jovialbard! Image

gement wrote:Oh, a note from earlier-earlier! I didn't know Blitzing was a Thing (that people would enjoy reports at the leading edge, rather than just saying yes-yes, bloody catch up before you try to talk to us...)
Blitzing is... a Thing? With a capital T? Image
On a side note, I was off hunting RELATED smileys and helpi'mtrappedinasmileyfactory...
- Image - Image - Image - Image - Image - Image - Image - Image - Image - Image - Image

Valarya wrote:
iisjreg wrote:Things I will miss:
Maps
Songs
Linguistics
Popes
GIFs

Chopped your list up to show you the things that show no sign of stopping here in the OTT (unless we decode Beanish). ;) So don't go anywhere else BlitzGirl will put you in the basement!
*readies the M&Ms*

Indeed!
Image

Redundant:
Spoiler:
Image


NoBasementRight.png

Keywords: don't want basement right BGUM redundakitty redundacake cake manip Lucky
Redundacake.png
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
jovialbard
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby jovialbard » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Huh. For some reason I was expecting more Beanie action (must be off-flashlight).
Image

Beanie action? BEANIE ACTION???? Are you sure about that? Wellll. OK, but I warned you. Better spoiler it.
Spoiler:
Image

Redundant
Spoiler:
beanieAction.png


Aww man, now I totally want a rockin Beanie band behind me when I'm making sweet sweet love to a stick figure...
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

User avatar
yappobiscuits
Posts: 2843
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:41 am UTC
Location: The Sea
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Huh. For some reason I was expecting more Beanie action (must be off-flashlight).
Image

Beanie action? BEANIE ACTION???? Are you sure about that? Wellll. OK, but I warned you. Better spoiler it.
Spoiler:
Image

Image I love that they're playing what look like Rock Band instruments too :P
Valarya wrote:Heading out of town for the wipend! See you when I get back. :)

Molpy out!
Spoiler:
Image

Aw, bye Val! Have fun whatever you do...
BlitzGirl wrote:On a side note, I was off hunting RELATED smileys and helpi'mtrappedinasmileyfactory...
- Image - Image - Image - Image - Image - Image - Image - Image - Image - Image - Image

Aww, them's some treeish smileys! I love these especially ImageImage. Neat redundacake too :mrgreen:
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT
Image

User avatar
Tatiana
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:19 pm UTC
Location: Birmingham, AL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Tatiana » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:10 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
cakeThings like modifying a Terminator picture to the face of a friend of mine. Schwarzenegger with his face mostly shot off and mechanical parts showing became my friend with his face mostly shot off and mechanical parts showing. Fun, although time consuming to do properly. I believe more than 40 hours of work followed by a harsh lesson in backing up, by means of a harddisk crash. Auwtch.


I just saw a picture of my friend Pearce like that. Are you friends with Pearce?
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9049
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:11 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Huh. For some reason I was expecting more Beanie action (must be off-flashlight).
Image

Beanie action? BEANIE ACTION???? Are you sure about that? Wellll. OK, but I warned you. Better spoiler it.
Spoiler:
Image

Aww man, now I totally want a rockin Beanie band behind me when I'm making sweet sweet love to a stick figure...

You know what they say... Beanish is the language of love...
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
gement
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby gement » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

And there's the tilt into longpix. Heheh. BRB, getting popcorn.

End of newpage 117, people start realizing there's no new frame. First post on newpage 118, Helper: "Kay, time to start sacrificing virgins." Well, that escalated quickly.

Oh, dear, and that wasn't actually It, just a short glitch. There'll be bloodcoffeebabysemen on the walls...

Thinking back, there have been a couple of brief mentions of the edit timestamps on images, but for some reason it wasn't brought up when people were theorizing automation. None of the visualizers I've seen so far dug into that data point, though apparently they recorded it. But it's early days yet. (I'd just be interested to see how much of Randall's time over the last three months can be plotted in the initial buffer generation and then the desperate attempt to stay a newpix ahead of ravening Time.)

After a flurry of signature improvements on newpage 120, people are threatening physical violence against Cueball for slow building on newpage 121. The Waiters are restless, and starting into a LOTR/Discworld digression.

I think newpage 123 is the first use in OTT of coma as a verb. I've been watching for it since I skimmed the glossary. Like finding buried treasure in the coffeebabies, these firsts. I'm deliberately not reading the wiki exhaustively, but I hope to eventually find evidence of better OTT metadocumentation, as I'm definitely developing opinions about the best newpages.

Ah, here we are, newpage 125. The believers are blaming a low posting rate for the lack of a new Frame. And I really have other stuff to do today, so I'll pick up again from here.

... When I'm gliding into the last 100 newpages, I wonder if I'll see any responses to these! That would be exciting.
Sometimes a sand castle is just a sand castle. Mind you, a lot of other things can be happening around that sand castle...
I have reread Homestuck multiple times. The Blitz holds no terror for me. Current location: newpage 150.

User avatar
charlie_grumbles
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm UTC
Location: Self Imposed Exile

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

More interframe happenings. We seldom saw them sleep, but who knows. Just speculating here.
Image
There is even a wee white molpy.
Spoiler:
OverNite.png
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

User avatar
Kieryn
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:40 pm UTC
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

Just cleaned up the layout of my site a bit and in the process I realized that this is currently a really useful index of all the ONG posts:

http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/Thr ... s?set=time
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

User avatar
buffygirl
Cardinal
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:09 pm UTC
Location: BuffyDashery closed.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby buffygirl » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:11 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:Well, she's back....
And it looks like she doesn't know (yet) [Or isn't letting on she knows.]
Spoiler:
buffygirl wrote:BLINDPOSTING from NP 1314

Ok, I admit it. I can't even do a short ketchup right now.

Instead, I'm going to address a few other things!

re: the OTVO - I will be working on the script. I also plan to submit voiceovers for LaPetite and Rosetta. For Rosetta, I think I'll try several different versions, because even if my voice isn't the right one, it will provide options and ideas for what IS the right match.

RE: PROJECTS
Ok .... I have a FABULOUS project idea, that I suspect is either subconsciously stolen from someone else, or else a conGLOMeration of various ideas presented here. But I'm going to just submit this post before I elaborate, cuz I wanna post and I haven't finished thinking it out. Psych!

MWAH!!

B

ETA: Like we need more projects..... :)


And she even has a second post with her interesting projects.
But it's time to ready the cake, ice cream, Hugs, and tissue for our dear buffygirl....

<snip>

Oh yes, I know. I appreciate your loving concern though! (ninja'd)

And don't be silly - everybody is and was deserving of a hat. All they had to do was ask. I hatted plenty of folks who ended up disappearing eventually. I would look at your avatar and try to figure out how to hat it if you ever asked (I still do that with avatars, both new and old).

And you are definitely part of the tribe, and one of the names and avatars I always recognize (meaning it's around A LOT).

MWAH!
B

taixzo wrote:
buffygirl wrote:BuffyGirl's Awesome Idea
ok, sorry .... just attention-seeking...

Spoiler:
Ok, so here's my idea. It's a(nother) video idea consistent with the whole goal of trying to somehow convey to others what the combined experience of the OTC and OTT was like. I suspect I may have either outright stolen this idea, or perhaps it is a conGLOMeration of various ideas ....

I am envisioning a sort of Mystery Science Theater 3000 type thing (which I know has been mentioned before). In this case, after each TimeFrame, "selected"1 content from the OTT is shown and/or narrated (such as posts, ottifications, images, and general silliness). Ideally posts and other "spoken word" stuff would be narrated by the actual poster. In my mind, the OTT posts are narrated in a MST manner with the frame paused and possibly even MST-type shadows in place in the foreground. I also envision having molpy sightings highlighted with a mscha-like animated gif along with the accompanying OTT dialogue.

Oh, and the development of the "language" of the OTT would be included in the dialogue.

So, the video would include the OTT dialogue as intrinsic to the OTC experience. To make it super-seaish, we could include all Blitzer's signposting, but that might make the whole thing too seaish. However, I do like the idea of including BlitzGirl's Blitz process as part of the mayhem described above.

I say mayhem, but I don't actually envision mayhem. I envision a multidimensional experience that draws in the viewer in such a way that they get at least a little inkling of what it was like to be on the long, strange trip we all had.

Now, of course, I would also like to include my hattification in some way. Not sure how, but perhaps the MST shadows could gain hats or something? I don't actually see including screenshots of the OTT (for any posts, hats or otherwise), so I don't really see a good way to include my hats in a way that is consistent with my vision. Actually, I take that back -- I can see including image ottifications/manips and redundakitties. (I think mostly, my idea doesn't have a good way of including my hats. But that's ok.)

It would be even better as a multi-media "Performance Piece" actually, but I don't think that's realistic … because we are always realistic here on the OTT! Can't you see it! Selected1 portions of the OTT are in the foreground, kinda like Rocky Horror Picture Show (well ... ish), and the OTC is projected onto the background. Oooh! Ooooh! A sorta Waiting for Godot like stage (i.e. minimalist with the actors sorta clueless?). Anyway -- Hopefully you get the gist of what I'm trying to describe.

Oh, and BTW - this is a brainstorm, not a proposal so ... well ... please don't tell me all the nitpicky things that are problematic about my idea, just tell me if you can see what I'm envisioning! Thank you!

MWAH!
B

1 The "selection" process is TBD!



This is a great idea! But I think you are overlooking a very simple way to do hats: like this!

Image

RSIR (I pronounce that as "razor". I think I'm going to start putting "razor" here instead.):
Spoiler:
fe8d91332227e0894d22eda7aa469e33e25e12697e8d136fc2467594971230a0.png

lol, yes, hatted silhouettes works beautifully!

I guess I just meant that the whole asking for and then receiving of a hat doesn't really fit in well, nor can I think of a way to show the hatted avi in full-color. So, I think the rise and fall of the BuffyDashery is probably another story. :)

smolloy
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby smolloy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

P120: I've noticed that people seem to go a little crazy back here in the deep-past when GLR (not yet referred to as such) drags things out. At the moment it's taking Cueball forever to build the central part of the sandcastle, and we are starting to get stuff like this:
Wraithlord wrote:In my delvings into Lovecraft, I did happen to come across the R'leyhian word for heretic, hlirgh.

Also, we are apparently the Hrii of the Ron Hupadgh Syha'h. ( Have fun trying to decipher what I just said :wink: )


I'm kinda nervous as to how the folk of the distant past will react to the looooong fade-out :S

Oh, and I'm starting to hear talk of "Mod Madness" approaching. Wish me luck!
16.288% blitzed (I can't believe it went backwards!): Wait for me!
At the moment I calculate my blitz-percentage based on the total number of newpages (which of course continues to rise). Perhaps I should base it on the number of the newpix we do not mention (1254) instead? Opinions?

User avatar
lmjb1964
Posts: 2446
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:09 pm UTC
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Huh. For some reason I was expecting more Beanie action (must be off-flashlight).
Beanie action? BEANIE ACTION???? Are you sure about that? Wellll. OK, but I warned you. Better spoiler it.
Spoiler:
Image

Aww man, now I totally want a rockin Beanie band behind me when I'm making sweet sweet love to a stick figure...

This whole exchange just cracked me up.

gement wrote:
Spoiler:
And there's the tilt into longpix. Heheh. BRB, getting popcorn.

End of newpage 117, people start realizing there's no new frame. First post on newpage 118, Helper: "Kay, time to start sacrificing virgins." Well, that escalated quickly.

Oh, dear, and that wasn't actually It, just a short glitch. There'll be bloodcoffeebabysemen on the walls...

Thinking back, there have been a couple of brief mentions of the edit timestamps on images, but for some reason it wasn't brought up when people were theorizing automation. None of the visualizers I've seen so far dug into that data point, though apparently they recorded it. But it's early days yet. (I'd just be interested to see how much of Randall's time over the last three months can be plotted in the initial buffer generation and then the desperate attempt to stay a newpix ahead of ravening Time.)

After a flurry of signature improvements on newpage 120, people are threatening physical violence against Cueball for slow building on newpage 121. The Waiters are restless, and starting into a LOTR/Discworld digression.

I think newpage 123 is the first use in OTT of coma as a verb. I've been watching for it since I skimmed the glossary. Like finding buried treasure in the coffeebabies, these firsts. I'm deliberately not reading the wiki exhaustively, but I hope to eventually find evidence of better OTT metadocumentation, as I'm definitely developing opinions about the best newpages.

Ah, here we are, newpage 125. The believers are blaming a low posting rate for the lack of a new Frame. And I really have other stuff to do today, so I'll pick up again from here.
... When I'm gliding into the last 100 newpages, I wonder if I'll see any responses to these! That would be exciting.

Yes, you will. :wink:

charlie_grumbles wrote:More interframe happenings. We seldom saw them sleep, but who knows. Just speculating here.
Spoiler:
Image

There is even a wee white molpy.
Spoiler:
The attachment OverNite.png is no longer available

As long as it wasn't this:
Image
I suck at manips, but you get the idea. :)
Redundant
Spoiler:
Sorry, too lazy to do a redundakitty. Who do you think I am, BlitzGirl?
OverNite_bates.png
OverNite_bates.png (27.46 KiB) Viewed 13848 times
Image

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9049
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:21 pm UTC

@lmjb1964:
Spoiler:
Image

Kieryn wrote:Just cleaned up the layout of my site a bit and in the process I realized that this is currently a really useful index of all the ONG posts:

http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Default/Thr ... s?set=time

Treeish! I like that the image sizes are now constrained. And it's ε yet exciting to see all of the newpix at once...
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

smolloy
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby smolloy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:33 pm UTC

124 pages before someone first mentions chirping. :)
swey wrote:
yangosplat wrote:I'm half scared to venture into the other parts of the forum just because of my signature... "Oh, she's one of THOSE crazy people."

I think everyone's in this thread anyway so all you'd see is a gif of tumbleweeds blowing across your screen and a MIDI of cfickets chirping


Of course, we're still in one of the many sandcastle-building stages, and haven't actually seen anything chirp (so to speak...), but it's fun to see that word used in this thread :)
16.288% blitzed (I can't believe it went backwards!): Wait for me!
At the moment I calculate my blitz-percentage based on the total number of newpages (which of course continues to rise). Perhaps I should base it on the number of the newpix we do not mention (1254) instead? Opinions?

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4886
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:45 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:@lmjb1964:
Spoiler:
Image

I find your lack of robes disturbing.
Spoiler:
Image
Vader never says "Luke: I am your father", just as Kirk never says "Beam me up, Scotty" and Holmes never says "Elementary, my dear Watson".
Last edited by HES on Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
Davidy
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:18 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Davidy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:56 pm UTC

libra wrote:By the way, is this now finally the record holder for thread length, number of views, number of replies etc? 56 pages seems pretty epic.


I know of a forum that has one thread which currently has 3850 pages, 79,995 replies and over 19 MILLION views. Time has a way to go.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

smolloy
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby smolloy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

P129: First mention of a pope. Oh, and the madness is starting, and folk are getting annoyed...
Spoiler:
peewee_RotA wrote:
beargarden wrote:
TheMulattoMaker wrote:
beargarden wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
orthogon wrote:octapix


I'm checking the wiki to see what I might have missed and it looks like something else has been decided out of the realm of influence of this set of time. Initiates of Time? That's just lame!

I'm splitting the Time religion. Who's joining the Time Watchers?


I'll join as long as TimeFrames is our chosen measurement of time. I never liked Newpix much :?

:cry: tin't please everybody. sniff


Don't mean to be a party pooper. Timeframes is just so clever.


So the first Schism is underway. Who wants to be the pope?
16.288% blitzed (I can't believe it went backwards!): Wait for me!
At the moment I calculate my blitz-percentage based on the total number of newpages (which of course continues to rise). Perhaps I should base it on the number of the newpix we do not mention (1254) instead? Opinions?

User avatar
lmjb1964
Posts: 2446
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:09 pm UTC
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

For BlitzGirl, from the "Be Careful What You Wish For" department:

Spoiler:
Image

Redundant:
Spoiler:
lots_of_kittens.jpg

2rp57.jpg
Image

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9049
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:10 pm UTC

Yikes! :shock:

(Thankfully the armful of cloned meowlpies counteracted the redundazombie.)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
lmjb1964
Posts: 2446
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:09 pm UTC
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:13 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Yikes! :shock:

(Thankfully the armful of cloned meowlpies counteracted the redundazombie.)


Yes, and it's not nearly as bad as the zombie kitty that WhizBang posted. (Which is what gave me the idea, actually. It's all xer fault!
Image

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

User avatar
pelrigg
Posts: 946
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby pelrigg » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

Arky wrote:Apologies if this has already been relayed to the OTT and I missed it, but Wired has an article up with some quotes from the GTR himself (among other things confirming the Antares supernova and confirming how hard to crack Beanish is meant to be).

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/08/xkcd-time-comic/


Thank you, Arky, for posting this. And thanks to 'Wired' for getting Randall to speak about the background of Time (seeing how he doesn't normally do that...)

I see that everyone's happy to see how much of the back story we were able to figure out was confirmed by GLR Himself. (I did notice Wired used "OTA" instead of "GLR" has 'our' term for Him.) And now all of us will be dissecting His Other Comics, like we dissected Time, looking for Time-clues.

Nice to see we have another linguist here. I read most of the linked to blog. Hope to see you here and on your blog.

-----

I did a quick ketchup scan and I see some things I should respond to, but my Outside Time has some commitments I must attend to.

-----

@buffygirl: Thanks for your nice words.
Although I would have liked to see what you might do, I am not, at this Time asking or hinting for a hat. Especially since the buffydashery is closed. So, please, please, please, you don't have to reopen just for me (or anyone else).

-----

Off to Outside, I might be back todip, (or not...)
Keep waiting for blitzers and more lost ones....
(I'm glad many of you liked my You Tube link about my avatar.) {If you haven't seen it, it's in my First posts bumped Page pope post on NP1321. A chance to put my avatar in context...}
Away for nowish....

----
Edit
to fix "you're" to "your"
Thanks rvloon
Last edited by pelrigg on Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

smolloy
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby smolloy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:17 pm UTC

P132: Wow, within just minutes of the frame appearing, this guy figured out that someone was firing a trebuchet! (Is "firing" the right verb for trebuchet use?)
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:
mscha wrote:hwæt be that? be it a bird, be it a plane?


No it's a trebuchet rock! The demands of the masses have been heard!

Also, note the effects of the Madness on poor mscha!
Last edited by smolloy on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
16.288% blitzed (I can't believe it went backwards!): Wait for me!
At the moment I calculate my blitz-percentage based on the total number of newpages (which of course continues to rise). Perhaps I should base it on the number of the newpix we do not mention (1254) instead? Opinions?

User avatar
MajorDouble7
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:16 pm UTC
Location: Cabo San Lucas, MEXICO

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby MajorDouble7 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:17 pm UTC

Arky wrote:Apologies if this has already been relayed to the OTT and I missed it, but Wired has an article up with some quotes from the GTR himself (among other things confirming the Antares supernova and confirming how hard to crack Beanish is meant to be).

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/08/xkcd-time-comic/

HIGHLY informative, thank you, Arky!! Oh, and...

Arky wrote:...some quotes from the GTR GLR himself...

FTFY :wink:

By the way, I'm a few NPs back, so I'm sure I've been Ninja'd, but you just never know!!!!
HES wrote:That's not how these things work; Beardo will know, but before telling them he will send them on a quest for the magical sand timer of the molpy people. He'll give them a stick with +1 Thwapping and [...] once Time ends, it will restart on a higher difficulty setting.

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4886
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:18 pm UTC

smolloy wrote:P129: First mention of a pope. Oh, and the madness is starting, and folk are getting annoyed...
Spoiler:
peewee_RotA wrote:
beargarden wrote:
TheMulattoMaker wrote:
beargarden wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
orthogon wrote:octapix


I'm checking the wiki to see what I might have missed and it looks like something else has been decided out of the realm of influence of this set of time. Initiates of Time? That's just lame!

I'm splitting the Time religion. Who's joining the Time Watchers?


I'll join as long as TimeFrames is our chosen measurement of time. I never liked Newpix much :?

:cry: tin't please everybody. sniff


Don't mean to be a party pooper. Timeframes is just so clever.


So the first Schism is underway. Who wants to be the pope?

I love how all the religious sects eventually came together under the not-so-eternal teachings of the Great Lord Randall. Why can't the outside take a leaf out of our two-and-a-half dimensional book?

smolloy wrote:Also, note the effects of the Madness on poor mscha!

Maybe the next madness should be poorly translated Dutch...
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6755
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:20 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:(I did notice Wired used "OTA" instead of "GLR" has 'our' term for Him.)
Both terms are non-heretical, but insinuating that one of them is is heretical! Break out the M&Ms! Prepare to be pelted! (hmmm... plain or peanut?)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

User avatar
libra
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:50 am UTC
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby libra » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:24 pm UTC

I don't know if anyone else has seen these yet -



and the article on the OTA here -


smolloy
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:59 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby smolloy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:25 pm UTC

Just crossed 10% in the amount of the thread I have blitzed :mrgreen:
That is, unless you guys go past page 1340 while I coma!

Please insert my usual request for PMs if I am being too spammy, or if I should just quit posting. :)
16.288% blitzed (I can't believe it went backwards!): Wait for me!
At the moment I calculate my blitz-percentage based on the total number of newpages (which of course continues to rise). Perhaps I should base it on the number of the newpix we do not mention (1254) instead? Opinions?

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:29 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Now presenting: the xkcd 1190 Thread Members Map. Go, click on your location, click the marker, enter your info and upload! (Just look at it for now, the upload doesn't seem to be working yet; check my signature for updates.) Lurkers are welcome, just fill in a random username.

Awesome! Now if only I weren't getting a DNS Server Failure when trying to open the page. :(

Second time this happened. Guess I'll move the DNS records somewhere else.

ZoomanSP wrote:@AluisioASG: Thanks for creating a map6! (yay, finally I could use this footnote!) I'm looking forward for the updates, so that we can upload our data. *waits for it*
ETA: After seeing HES's posts in the preview window, I tried again, and I could upload my location. However, is there a possibility to see the markers of other posters, or will this come later? Maybe I just didn't find the right button or link; if so, maybe someone might point it out? And is there a possibility to move the marker in case of relocation?

Other posters => WIP. No external query capabilities yet. I'm still thinking if I should stick with TRWTF PHP or move to Python.
Relocation => The records are keyed by username (if not empty). Just use the same username again and it'll update.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
tresoldi
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:53 pm UTC
Location: Porto Alegre (Brazil)
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby tresoldi » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:36 pm UTC

I have compiled a new transliteration of the corpus using Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics, with some changes, corrections etc. You can read my speculations on the blog, if you like.

I am pasting them here, as there are probably many little errors and perhaps someone can help proofreading it. You might also want to dispute some (most?) of the translations. ᘈᘊᘖᐦ :D

Frame Transcription Translation
2663 ᔪᙐᖚᐧ ᘛᔭᐤ “Where are you from?”
2664 ᔪᘝᓄᐧ ,ᔪ ᒣᖉ ᖊᐣᖽ ᖽᘛᕋᐤ “What happened to your leg?” or “Are you injured?”
2668 ᓭᘈ ᘊᒣᓭᐧᖊᔑ ᘝᘊᓭᒣᖊᐣᖗᐨ “Get/Fetch/Bring (me/us) cream for-healing.” or “We need cream for-healing.” (or “Cream for-healing is needed.”)
2671 ᙐᖚᐧ ᘊᘖᑫᘖᒣᐣᖚ ᘡ ᓴᔅᐧ ᙐᖚ,ᕋᐨ “Where… .” (affirmative sentence)
2676 ᘊᒣᓭᐧᖊᔑ ᘝᘊᓭᒣᖊᐣᖗᐨ “Cream for-healing.”
2697 ᖚᑫᘖ ᓭᐧᖚ “(something) you-wildling”
2706 ᓭᘖᔭᓄᐨ “Water.”
2708 ᖉ,ᑦᐦ ᓭᘖᔭᓄᐦ “Yes! Water.”
2728 ᔪᖉᔭᑫ ᙐᖚᐧ ᘊᓭᐧᖚᐤ ᒼᖸᖽᐣ ᔭ ᘝᖽᒣ ᓭᘖᒼ ᖊᘊᐤ ᕋᖗ ᘝᙉᖉᔭ ᘖᐣ ᖗᔭᐢ ᘊᓭᘖᔭᓄᐤ “(…) your land? (…)? (…) waters?”
2734 ᖽᔑᐣᘖ ᖚᐧᘖᖗᑫ ᘝᐣᖽ ᘊᒣᒼᖽᘝᐨ “We will go to the castle.”
2797 ᒣᓭᐧᖊᔑᐨ “Cream.”
2802 ᑕᘊᐣᒣ ᘊᓭᑦᑕᖉᐨ ᑕᘊᐣᒣ ᘊᓭᘖᔭᓄᐨ ᓭᘖᔭᓄᐦ “This lands. This seas. Water!”
2806 / ᘝᘈᘖ ᖽᔑᐣᘖ ᖚᒣᑕᑫᓭ ᘝᐣᖽ ᘊᒣᒼᖽᘝᐨ / ᖉ,ᑦᐨ “JohnDoe/Comrade We shall go to the castle (now).” / “Ok.”
2821 ᘝᓄᘈᖉᐣᐨ “(name of the city)”
2823 ᖉ, ᘝᐣᖚᔭ,ᐨ “Good morning.”
2827 ᘊᒣᒼᖽᘝᐨ “The castle.”
2836 ᖽᔑᐣᘖ ᖚᐧᘖᖗᑫ ᘝᐣᖽ ᘊᓭᘖᑦᓄᐨ “We should go to the leader.”
2841 ᘈᘊᘖᐨ ᖉ, ᘝᐣᖚᔭ,ᐨ “Hello.” “Good morning.”
2842 ᘝᘈᘖᐦ ᖉ, ᘝᐣᖚᔭᐦ “JohnDoe/Comrade! Good morning!”
2865 ᙐᖚᐧ ᓭᔭᑦᘖ ᘛᘝᖚᘈᐤ “Where they come from?”
2866 / ᘝᐣᖗᑦᖚᑫ ᓭᐧᘖ ᙐᖚᐧ ᘊᓭᐧᖚᐨ / ᖉᔭᒣᘊᐣᘖᑫ ᖽᘛᕋᑦᐨ “They came/are from the wildlands.” / “One of them is injured.”
2880 / ᘛᐣ ᘝᔭᖊᖽ ᖊᑦᘖ ᘖᘝᒣᘛᐨ / ᔪᑫᐨ “You can leave now.” “Ok.”
2906 ᘊᖊ,ᓄ ᘊᓭᐧᖚ “Wildlands/Balearic Sea”
2906 ᘊᖊ,ᓄ .ᓄᐣᔭ “Ionian Sea”
2906 ᑫᘊᘊ Gibraltar
2906 ᘊᓭᑦᑕᖉ ?
2906 ᘖᓄᘈᖉᐣ ?
2906 ᓭᘊᘊ ?
My blog on Beanish: https://beanishlang.wordpress.com/
Beanish corpus on Github: https://github.com/tresoldi/beanish/blob/master/corpus.txt
If you want to ask me anything, feel free to send a private message or comment on my blog, I might miss it on the topics (particularly on the OTT ;))

User avatar
lmjb1964
Posts: 2446
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:09 pm UTC
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:43 pm UTC

tresoldi wrote:I have compiled a new transliteration of the corpus using Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics, with some changes, corrections etc. You can read my speculations on the blog, if you like.

Spoiler:
I am pasting them here, as there are probably many little errors and perhaps someone can help proofreading it. You might also want to dispute some (most?) of the translations. ᘈᘊᘖᐦ :D

Frame Transcription Translation
2663 ᔪᙐᖚᐧ ᘛᔭᐤ “Where are you from?”
2664 ᔪᘝᓄᐧ ,ᔪ ᒣᖉ ᖊᐣᖽ ᖽᘛᕋᐤ “What happened to your leg?” or “Are you injured?”
2668 ᓭᘈ ᘊᒣᓭᐧᖊᔑ ᘝᘊᓭᒣᖊᐣᖗᐨ “Get/Fetch/Bring (me/us) cream for-healing.” or “We need cream for-healing.” (or “Cream for-healing is needed.”)
2671 ᙐᖚᐧ ᘊᘖᑫᘖᒣᐣᖚ ᘡ ᓴᔅᐧ ᙐᖚ,ᕋᐨ “Where… .” (affirmative sentence)
2676 ᘊᒣᓭᐧᖊᔑ ᘝᘊᓭᒣᖊᐣᖗᐨ “Cream for-healing.”
2697 ᖚᑫᘖ ᓭᐧᖚ “(something) you-wildling”
2706 ᓭᘖᔭᓄᐨ “Water.”
2708 ᖉ,ᑦᐦ ᓭᘖᔭᓄᐦ “Yes! Water.”
2728 ᔪᖉᔭᑫ ᙐᖚᐧ ᘊᓭᐧᖚᐤ ᒼᖸᖽᐣ ᔭ ᘝᖽᒣ ᓭᘖᒼ ᖊᘊᐤ ᕋᖗ ᘝᙉᖉᔭ ᘖᐣ ᖗᔭᐢ ᘊᓭᘖᔭᓄᐤ “(…) your land? (…)? (…) waters?”
2734 ᖽᔑᐣᘖ ᖚᐧᘖᖗᑫ ᘝᐣᖽ ᘊᒣᒼᖽᘝᐨ “We will go to the castle.”
2797 ᒣᓭᐧᖊᔑᐨ “Cream.”
2802 ᑕᘊᐣᒣ ᘊᓭᑦᑕᖉᐨ ᑕᘊᐣᒣ ᘊᓭᘖᔭᓄᐨ ᓭᘖᔭᓄᐦ “This lands. This seas. Water!”
2806 / ᘝᘈᘖ ᖽᔑᐣᘖ ᖚᒣᑕᑫᓭ ᘝᐣᖽ ᘊᒣᒼᖽᘝᐨ / ᖉ,ᑦᐨ “JohnDoe/Comrade We shall go to the castle (now).” / “Ok.”
2821 ᘝᓄᘈᖉᐣᐨ “(name of the city)”
2823 ᖉ, ᘝᐣᖚᔭ,ᐨ “Good morning.”
2827 ᘊᒣᒼᖽᘝᐨ “The castle.”
2836 ᖽᔑᐣᘖ ᖚᐧᘖᖗᑫ ᘝᐣᖽ ᘊᓭᘖᑦᓄᐨ “We should go to the leader.”
2841 ᘈᘊᘖᐨ ᖉ, ᘝᐣᖚᔭ,ᐨ “Hello.” “Good morning.”
2842 ᘝᘈᘖᐦ ᖉ, ᘝᐣᖚᔭᐦ “JohnDoe/Comrade! Good morning!”
2865 ᙐᖚᐧ ᓭᔭᑦᘖ ᘛᘝᖚᘈᐤ “Where they come from?”
2866 / ᘝᐣᖗᑦᖚᑫ ᓭᐧᘖ ᙐᖚᐧ ᘊᓭᐧᖚᐨ / ᖉᔭᒣᘊᐣᘖᑫ ᖽᘛᕋᑦᐨ “They came/are from the wildlands.” / “One of them is injured.”
2880 / ᘛᐣ ᘝᔭᖊᖽ ᖊᑦᘖ ᘖᘝᒣᘛᐨ / ᔪᑫᐨ “You can leave now.” “Ok.”
2906 ᘊᖊ,ᓄ ᘊᓭᐧᖚ “Wildlands/Balearic Sea”
2906 ᘊᖊ,ᓄ .ᓄᐣᔭ “Ionian Sea”
2906 ᑫᘊᘊ Gibraltar
2906 ᘊᓭᑦᑕᖉ ?
2906 ᘖᓄᘈᖉᐣ ?
2906 ᓭᘊᘊ ?

This is wow and treeish!
Image

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

User avatar
BigDaddy
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 3:52 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BigDaddy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:45 pm UTC

Loopists weren't wrONG! :shock:

Image

Bored at work and finally caught up. A quick and dirty manip in paint. I ain't got all y'all's fancy tablets and programs.

Spoiler:
ong.PNG

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4886
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

tresoldi wrote:I have compiled a new transliteration of the corpus using Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics, with some changes, corrections etc. You can read my speculations on the blog, if you like.
Spoiler:
I am pasting them here, as there are probably many little errors and perhaps someone can help proofreading it. You might also want to dispute some (most?) of the translations. ᘈᘊᘖᐦ :D

Frame Transcription Translation
2663 ᔪᙐᖚᐧ ᘛᔭᐤ “Where are you from?”
2664 ᔪᘝᓄᐧ ,ᔪ ᒣᖉ ᖊᐣᖽ ᖽᘛᕋᐤ “What happened to your leg?” or “Are you injured?”
2668 ᓭᘈ ᘊᒣᓭᐧᖊᔑ ᘝᘊᓭᒣᖊᐣᖗᐨ “Get/Fetch/Bring (me/us) cream for-healing.” or “We need cream for-healing.” (or “Cream for-healing is needed.”)
2671 ᙐᖚᐧ ᘊᘖᑫᘖᒣᐣᖚ ᘡ ᓴᔅᐧ ᙐᖚ,ᕋᐨ “Where… .” (affirmative sentence)
2676 ᘊᒣᓭᐧᖊᔑ ᘝᘊᓭᒣᖊᐣᖗᐨ “Cream for-healing.”
2697 ᖚᑫᘖ ᓭᐧᖚ “(something) you-wildling”
2706 ᓭᘖᔭᓄᐨ “Water.”
2708 ᖉ,ᑦᐦ ᓭᘖᔭᓄᐦ “Yes! Water.”
2728 ᔪᖉᔭᑫ ᙐᖚᐧ ᘊᓭᐧᖚᐤ ᒼᖸᖽᐣ ᔭ ᘝᖽᒣ ᓭᘖᒼ ᖊᘊᐤ ᕋᖗ ᘝᙉᖉᔭ ᘖᐣ ᖗᔭᐢ ᘊᓭᘖᔭᓄᐤ “(…) your land? (…)? (…) waters?”
2734 ᖽᔑᐣᘖ ᖚᐧᘖᖗᑫ ᘝᐣᖽ ᘊᒣᒼᖽᘝᐨ “We will go to the castle.”
2797 ᒣᓭᐧᖊᔑᐨ “Cream.”
2802 ᑕᘊᐣᒣ ᘊᓭᑦᑕᖉᐨ ᑕᘊᐣᒣ ᘊᓭᘖᔭᓄᐨ ᓭᘖᔭᓄᐦ “This lands. This seas. Water!”
2806 / ᘝᘈᘖ ᖽᔑᐣᘖ ᖚᒣᑕᑫᓭ ᘝᐣᖽ ᘊᒣᒼᖽᘝᐨ / ᖉ,ᑦᐨ “JohnDoe/Comrade We shall go to the castle (now).” / “Ok.”
2821 ᘝᓄᘈᖉᐣᐨ “(name of the city)”
2823 ᖉ, ᘝᐣᖚᔭ,ᐨ “Good morning.”
2827 ᘊᒣᒼᖽᘝᐨ “The castle.”
2836 ᖽᔑᐣᘖ ᖚᐧᘖᖗᑫ ᘝᐣᖽ ᘊᓭᘖᑦᓄᐨ “We should go to the leader.”
2841 ᘈᘊᘖᐨ ᖉ, ᘝᐣᖚᔭ,ᐨ “Hello.” “Good morning.”
2842 ᘝᘈᘖᐦ ᖉ, ᘝᐣᖚᔭᐦ “JohnDoe/Comrade! Good morning!”
2865 ᙐᖚᐧ ᓭᔭᑦᘖ ᘛᘝᖚᘈᐤ “Where they come from?”
2866 / ᘝᐣᖗᑦᖚᑫ ᓭᐧᘖ ᙐᖚᐧ ᘊᓭᐧᖚᐨ / ᖉᔭᒣᘊᐣᘖᑫ ᖽᘛᕋᑦᐨ “They came/are from the wildlands.” / “One of them is injured.”
2880 / ᘛᐣ ᘝᔭᖊᖽ ᖊᑦᘖ ᘖᘝᒣᘛᐨ / ᔪᑫᐨ “You can leave now.” “Ok.”
2906 ᘊᖊ,ᓄ ᘊᓭᐧᖚ “Wildlands/Balearic Sea”
2906 ᘊᖊ,ᓄ .ᓄᐣᔭ “Ionian Sea”
2906 ᑫᘊᘊ Gibraltar
2906 ᘊᓭᑦᑕᖉ ?
2906 ᘖᓄᘈᖉᐣ ?
2906 ᓭᘊᘊ ?

Nice work! Could you put a link to your blog in your sig?
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
Kieryn
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:40 pm UTC
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:50 pm UTC

Davidy wrote:
libra wrote:By the way, is this now finally the record holder for thread length, number of views, number of replies etc? 56 pages seems pretty epic.


I know of a forum that has one thread which currently has 3850 pages, 79,995 replies and over 19 MILLION views. Time has a way to go.

It's only a matter of Time...
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

User avatar
bmonk
Posts: 662
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:14 pm UTC
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby bmonk » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:53 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:
Davidy wrote:
libra wrote:By the way, is this now finally the record holder for thread length, number of views, number of replies etc? 56 pages seems pretty epic.


I know of a forum that has one thread which currently has 3850 pages, 79,995 replies and over 19 MILLION views. Time has a way to go.

It's only a matter of Time...


Wait for it.

And:
Kieryn wrote:But what do molpies eat?


Molpychow?
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

User avatar
MajorDouble7
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:16 pm UTC
Location: Cabo San Lucas, MEXICO

Re: ᕋᖗ ᘝᙉᖉᔭ ᘖᐣ ᖗᔭᐢ ᘊᓭᘖᔭᓄᐤ

Postby MajorDouble7 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:56 pm UTC

tresoldi wrote:
KayZ wrote:I have more than a hundred pages to ketchup, but still I'm throwing this forward into the future because it does not seem like it was recognized for what it seems to be: A pretty much perfect match for the beanish language. It's not mentioned in the Wiki and I could only find one other person who threw it forward but spoilered it. But it's to good to be spoilered. There are some minor differences but most of it matches.

Renil wrote:I've started transliterating beanish into a Canadian aboriginal syllabic.

ᔪᘊᖚᐧ ᘛᔭᐤ = d36' Ub?
ᔪᘝᓄᐧ = dAJ'
,ᔪ = ,d
ᒣᖉ = 7X
ᖊᐣᖽ = W'N
ᖽᘛᕋᐤ = NUq?
ᓭᘈ ᘊᒣᓭᐧᖊᔑ ᘝᘊᓭᒣᖊᐣᖗᐨ = 4M 374'WS A347W'9.
ᘊᖚᐧ ᘊᘖᑫᘖᒣᐣᖚ ᘡ ᓴᔅᐧ ᘊᖚ,ᕋᐨ = 36' 32g27'6 U 4"' 36g,q.
ᖚᑫᘖ ᓭᐧᖚ = 6g2 4'6
ᓭᘖᔭᓄᐨ = 42bJ.
ᖉ,ᑦᐦ = X,c!
ᓭᘖᔭᓄᐦ = 42bJ!
ᔪᖉᔭᑫ ᘊᖚᐧ ᘊᓭᐧᖚᐤ = dXbg 36' 34'6?
ᒼᖸᖽᐣ ᔭ = 'MN' b
ᘝᖽᒣ ᓭᘖᒼ ᖊᘊᐤ = AN7 42' W3?
ᕋᖗ ᘝᙉᖉᔭ ᘖᐣ ᖗᔭᐢ ᘊᓭᘖᔭᓄᐤ = q9 AQXb 2' 9b, 342bJ?
ᖽᔑᐣᘖ ᖚᐧᘖᖗᑫ ᘝᐣᖽ ᘊᒣᒼᖽᘝᐨ = NS'2 6'29g A'N 37'NA.

Hopefully that renders for everyone.


This transliteration is very actually very good, very good, I am thinking about adopting it. The problem with the one currently used is not only that it mixes numbers and letters, but also that it forces me to think about the words with an approximated English pronountiation of what is written, for exemple "fourtwobeedjei" for "water" (I'm the only one with this problem?). What Renil proposes not only solves this problem, but also makes copying and pasting possible. I will probably adopt it.

However, while Randall might have developed his script form CAS, I don't think it had any other influence. Beanish script still looks more alphabetic than syllabic; I checked the actual syllables usually represented by those glyphs and didn't find anything interesting (considering common European languages, of course -- I just hope Randall hasn't evolved Beanish from Blackfoot or Inuktitut!)

This is all really fascinating stuff to me, and all I'm left with is sitting back and watching with awe and admiration as dedicated and intelligent people continue to unravel the mystery...I'm a big fan (of all those contributing to this cypher).

Keep it up, your efforts are not going unnoticed or unappreciated!!
HES wrote:That's not how these things work; Beardo will know, but before telling them he will send them on a quest for the magical sand timer of the molpy people. He'll give them a stick with +1 Thwapping and [...] once Time ends, it will restart on a higher difficulty setting.

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4886
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:58 pm UTC

BigDaddy wrote:A quick and dirty manip in paint. I ain't got all y'all's fancy tablets and programs.

ALL my manips are done in paint (which reminds me, I should add them to the wiki)

ETA: another HES sandwich page? Weird.
Last edited by HES on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 130 guests