1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2339
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: Molpy on the job

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:48 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:ETA the original line was actually " We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges" yay for memetic mutation :P

How did you find that with TVTropes on maintenance?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2339
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

Oh nice, pope.
Please keep this thread alive.
DO SOMETHING!
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
slinches
Slinches get Stinches
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:23 am UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby slinches » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:10 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Oh nice, pope.
Please keep this thread alive.
DO SOMETHING!

I think everyone is doing something. Namely, clicking ONGs to get sand.

Maybe we'll start getting back to having spikes in traffic just after the ONG while we all wait for our newpixbots.

User avatar
patzer
Posts: 432
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:48 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby patzer » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Oh nice, pope.
Please keep this thread alive.
DO SOMETHING!


How about a:

One True Thread Scavenger Hunt!

mscha wrote:So, they're on a beach on Jupiter? That'd explain ... not much.


Which newpage did this quote come from?

(no cheating by googling the whole post/looking it up on Kieryn's site)
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5590
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Molpy on the job

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:12 pm UTC

Just noticed I'm the goat :P
AluisioASG wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:ETA the original line was actually " We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges" yay for memetic mutation :P

How did you find that with TVTropes on maintenance?
Actually I used the Other Wiki.
Also I've nearly finished the reset code and I've got autoload going. Do people want autosave to be on by default? Is an option to NOT autosave even necessary yet?
ETA wow we've mentioned jupiter a lot in the needlepulledthing
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2339
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:15 pm UTC

patzer wrote:How about a:

One True Thread Scavenger Hunt!

mscha wrote:So, they're on a beach on Jupiter? That'd explain ... not much.


Which newpage did this quote come from?

(no cheating by googling the whole post/looking it up on Kieryn's site)

NP 380
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
lmjb1964
Posts: 2472
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:09 pm UTC
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:26 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
Bad Hair Man wrote:
Ah well. Sailor V. At least we'll always have beacon.


You mipselled "bacon." Bacon, bacon, bacon, BACON! The wonder-food! The gateway snack for converting vegetarians! The stuff Canadians never got right! :P The one thing that really should not go in chocolate bars!

It is scarily good in a hot fudge brownie sundae though. The hot, the cold, the sweet, the salty, the chocolate, the bacon, ...

Pardon me while I wipe this drool off my keyboard. Ow, it bit me!

AluisioASG wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:This non-heretical clicking game is molpish! Image
Thanks for all the work, Eternal Density!

You're welcome, and it's only just begun. I've decided to call the achievements Badges. Not to be confused with badgers.

Badges! We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Oh, it's for your game? That's fine, then.

Um... what if we call the badges Inigos?

As in, "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, prepare to die"?

Eternal Density wrote:Um, so Helping Hand does work fine (I just tested it). Cuegans give a base rate of 0.6 and 0.2 extra with Helping Hand.
I believe I fixed the sand-tool-price-not-displaying-right-on-load issue (just one line :D) so I'll deploy that shortly. After I add a version number display...
ETA the original line was actually " We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges" yay for memetic mutation :P
ETA done, save and refresh! Now to do the other links in the top row...

Thanks! I knew it wasn't the exact line, but didn't know what the real line was. I'm ashamed to say I've never seen that movie.
Image

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

User avatar
ttscp
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:05 pm UTC
Location: Lost In Thought - Send Search Party

Re: It Works!

Postby ttscp » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:27 pm UTC

slinches wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
slinches wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:PSA: chirpingmustard.com is officially up and running.

All I get is a domain registrar landing page, in French. Maybe I'll have to wait for it to propagate to whatever DNS I'm pointing at.

I never said there was a website.

Good point. It would be difficult to see a website that doesn't exist. :lol:

I see the landing page in English. Four thoughts:
(X) Thank you, I don't know where you get the energy, but it's good.
(K) I trust AluisioASG, but maybe we should set chirpingmustard.com so a group of people can manage it, pay the renewal fees, etc.
(C) No need to move the thread (yet if ever) but how about the OTWiki? Those ads are really distracting.
(D) Set me up with email, ttscp. I'll contribute just tell me when and where. I'm PMing you with where to forward to.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5590
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Molpy success

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:35 pm UTC

New version up! Now when you refresh it will autoload. You still need to remember to save though.
Import and Export now work so you can back up multiple saves or move them between computers/browsers if you like.
Molpy Down will reset all your progress. Coma does the same thing (since there are no achievements yet. I mean badges. I need to update the text on that message I guess.)

ETA do people understand that chirpingmustard.com is just a name that can point to stuff, not some actual hosted internetspace?

ETA now testing a feature to show the number of active newpixbots (during the Time between the ONG and when they actually give castles)

ETA it seems to work:Image
redund:
Spoiler:
npb.PNG
npb.PNG (2.4 KiB) Viewed 13827 times
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
patzer
Posts: 432
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:48 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Molpy success

Postby patzer » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:09 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:ETA do people understand that chirpingmustard.com is just a name that can point to stuff, not some actual hosted internetspace?


I don't understand- what's the point in having the site chirpingmustard.com if we don't host stuff there? I thought we were going to have sites like wiki.chirpingmustard.com, mscha.chirpingmustard.com, etc. to get all the OTT stuff on one site.

edit: I see, it's for email addresses.

AluisioASG wrote:Oh nice, pope.
Please keep this thread alive.
DO SOMETHING!


Does anyone want a game of Monomolpy?
Last edited by patzer on Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:15 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

User avatar
slinches
Slinches get Stinches
Posts: 1036
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:23 am UTC

Re: Molpy success

Postby slinches » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:12 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:New version up! Now when you refresh it will autoload. You still need to remember to save though.
Import and Export now work so you can back up multiple saves or move them between computers/browsers if you like.
Molpy Down will reset all your progress. Coma does the same thing (since there are no achievements yet. I mean badges. I need to update the text on that message I guess.)

ETA do people understand that chirpingmustard.com is just a name that can point to stuff, not some actual hosted internetspace?

Just speaking for myself here: Of course not, the internet is this magic thing that lives in clouds and is delivered through tubes to the box that sits under my desk.

Seriously though, my impression was that a domain is really just a way to reliably point to a server and it's the server that handles all of the requests. I'm sure it's more complicated than that, but I had assumed that since Aluisio was registering the domain and setting up an email server (will you set one up for me as slinches, please? I'll send a PM with my forwarding address), that he would have put up a basic webpage. I realized as soon as he replied that it was a bad assumption on my part.

By the way, thanks for the really neat castle builder game, ED. And thank you Aluisio for setting up the domain and email accounts. I'd gladly contribute to the domain/hosting fund if there's a way to do so. Would adding a very simple page with a donate button be a good option?

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: Molpy success

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:22 am UTC

slinches wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:New version up! Now when you refresh it will autoload. You still need to remember to save though.
Import and Export now work so you can back up multiple saves or move them between computers/browsers if you like.
Molpy Down will reset all your progress. Coma does the same thing (since there are no achievements yet. I mean badges. I need to update the text on that message I guess.)

ETA do people understand that chirpingmustard.com is just a name that can point to stuff, not some actual hosted internetspace?

Just speaking for myself here: Of course not, the internet is this magic thing that lives in clouds and is delivered through tubes to the box that sits under my desk.

Seriously though, my impression was that a domain is really just a way to reliably point to a server and it's the server that handles all of the requests. I'm sure it's more complicated than that, but I had assumed that since Aluisio was registering the domain and setting up an email server (will you set one up for me as slinches, please? I'll send a PM with my forwarding address), that he would have put up a basic webpage. I realized as soon as he replied that it was a bad assumption on my part.

By the way, thanks for the really neat castle builder game, ED. And thank you Aluisio for setting up the domain and email accounts. I'd gladly contribute to the domain/hosting fund if there's a way to do so. Would adding a very simple page with a donate button be a good option?


Maybe the home page for chirpingmustard.com could be sort of a portal to the various OTTer sites and services (subdomains of itself or no), perhaps with a page for a mailing list and, of course, a donate button.
Image

User avatar
pelrigg
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby pelrigg » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:28 am UTC

A number of Pages back (20, 30 ?) a link was posted to NP 452 (I think, that neighborhood any way) and as I sometimes do when wandering in the past, I see what the current Newpix was. I had to go through a lot of pages to find the ONG. Mainly because it was on NP 447 and was Mframe 971. The last frame of The Fading. So there was a lot of talk about this being the "end of the line" and all that. Lots of goodbyes and lurkers de-lurking, etc. On NP 448 I saw this:
AluisioASG wrote:
pelrigg wrote:Wow...here at the end of all things...

Just remember: A thread with no flame wars. That's special. {Wackiness; no worse than a certain M*A*S*H unit...)

However two milestones ahead: 18000 posts; 450 pages.

Anybody up for it....


anybody???


Still thinking Simon & Garfunkle : Old Friends in the music dept.
Also: Overs


I'll Still wait....

We can't do 18k posts in 450 pages.
We need to go deeper more pages.

BlitzGirl wrote:
burpen wrote:
pelrigg wrote:,<snip>.

Yes, but woefully off-topic for most of it...

Which reminds me: something something something blitzgirl

Something, burpen! :D

I can't help but feel you haven't read it all, or else you would know that often what seems off-topic from the Outside has a gooey on-topic center.
*goes back for more Party food*

Of course, what I was referring to was "Do you folks think we could drag the posting out for two more whole pages even if this was the last frame?"

Hmmm... Here when the worst of fears actually happened, we've gone well over a hundred pages and are still going strong.

Oh, and just in case you didn't catch the "Party food" reference: A mere thousand NewPages ago on NP 442 this happened:
BlitzGirl wrote:*stumbles out of Time vortex*

*blinks*


Wow. So this is Present Time, huh?



...Hi, everybody! :D


So happy 1000 NewPages In The Present, BlitzGirl....

Edit a m*strded sentence to make it CLeaReR.
Last edited by pelrigg on Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:39 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

User avatar
mscha
Posts: 6908
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm UTC
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:30 am UTC

ONGRAVES...
Image

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Image
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:
Image
Image

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5590
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Molpy success

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:30 am UTC

patzer wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:ETA do people understand that chirpingmustard.com is just a name that can point to stuff, not some actual hosted internetspace?


I don't understand- what's the point in having the site chirpingmustard.com if we don't host stuff there? I thought we were going to have sites like wiki.chirpingmustard.com, mscha.chirpingmustard.com, etc. to get all the OTT stuff on one site.

edit: I see, it's for email addresses.
No, the idea was that addresses like wiki.chirpingmustard or mscha.chirpingmustard will in turn point at where those sites are really hosted.

Currently testing some newpixbot boosts. (in game, not the real newpixbot :P)


YAY I knew 1000NP since BG's arrival in the PT was coming up :D

ETA and done! new version when you (save and) refresh :D
Last edited by Eternal Density on Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2339
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: Molpy success

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:33 am UTC

patzer wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:ETA do people understand that chirpingmustard.com is just a name that can point to stuff, not some actual hosted internetspace?

I don't understand- what's the point in having the site chirpingmustard.com if we don't host stuff there? I thought we were going to have sites like wiki.chirpingmustard.com, mscha.chirpingmustard.com, etc. to get all the OTT stuff on one site.

I'm waiting for the right people (i.e. the managers of these already-existing sites) to tell me to do that.

Someone mentioned ads in the wiki ― I don't see any.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5590
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Molpy success

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:34 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Someone mentioned ads in the wiki ― I don't see any.
I see: "Blocked ads: 3 on this page"
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2339
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:38 am UTC

mscha wrote:ONGRAVES...
Image
-- posted by newpixbot


And here we go again
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
pelrigg
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

Re: Molpy success

Postby pelrigg » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:52 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Someone mentioned ads in the wiki ― I don't see any.
I see: "Blocked ads: 3 on this page"

I don't have "Ad-block" on myself; and I get lots of ads on the wiki. And sometimes I even get ones from "microsoft anti-virus" that are REALLY annoying.

-------------

re the Sandcastle game:
1) How exactly do you get "just" sand to buy the Bigger Buckets? (and other stuff I'm seeing now.)
2) What do you mean by "ninjaing the Newpixbot"? (I don't think I caught that the first Time.)
3) Which leads to: could you go over the features once more? (Sort of to put the basics in one place, please.)

{Currently at NewPix 6 with: 3 buckets, 4 active Newpixbots, and 1 trebuchet. 0.3 sand/milliNewPix.}

Edit for game: and I'm not doing a lot of active clicking. Should I be doing that?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

User avatar
ttscp
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:05 pm UTC
Location: Lost In Thought - Send Search Party

Re: Molpy success

Postby ttscp » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:12 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
patzer wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:ETA do people understand that chirpingmustard.com is just a name that can point to stuff, not some actual hosted internetspace?

I don't understand- what's the point in having the site chirpingmustard.com if we don't host stuff there? I thought we were going to have sites like wiki.chirpingmustard.com, mscha.chirpingmustard.com, etc. to get all the OTT stuff on one site.

I'm waiting for the right people (i.e. the managers of these already-existing sites) to tell me to do that.

Someone mentioned ads in the wiki ― I don't see any.


Maybe I'll have to get Ad-Block, the Wiki ads are the most annoying I've ever seen.

I think I understood differently. I'm going to take credit for starting the whole domain name of our own, back when I proposed and checked out ott.com, otter.com, etc. I was thinking of a refuge for the OTT when and if the moderators here got fed up with us and our deviant ways. So I, at least, was definitely thinking of a hosting site. I can see how others might have thought differently.
Since we never fully agree on anything (ni ni ni ni molpy grapevine ping pong ball) can we have it both ways? kieryn.chirpingmustard.com points to kieryn's site, but (example only) wiki.chirpingmustard.com is hosted at chirpingmustard.com?
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

User avatar
ChronosDragon
Posts: 1852
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 am UTC
Location: [~]

Re: Molpy success

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:16 am UTC

ttscp wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
patzer wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:ETA do people understand that chirpingmustard.com is just a name that can point to stuff, not some actual hosted internetspace?

I don't understand- what's the point in having the site chirpingmustard.com if we don't host stuff there? I thought we were going to have sites like wiki.chirpingmustard.com, mscha.chirpingmustard.com, etc. to get all the OTT stuff on one site.

I'm waiting for the right people (i.e. the managers of these already-existing sites) to tell me to do that.

Someone mentioned ads in the wiki ― I don't see any.


Maybe I'll have to get Ad-Block, the Wiki ads are the most annoying I've ever seen.

I think I understood differently. I'm going to take credit for starting the whole domain name of our own, back when I proposed and checked out ott.com, otter.com, etc. I was thinking of a refuge for the OTT when and if the moderators here got fed up with us and our deviant ways. So I, at least, was definitely thinking of a hosting site. I can see how others might have thought differently.
Since we never fully agree on anything (ni ni ni ni molpy grapevine ping pong ball) can we have it both ways? kieryn.chirpingmustard.com points to kieryn's site, but (example only) wiki.chirpingmustard.com is hosted at chirpingmustard.com?


I totally agree on the wiki issue - in fact, if we can, we really ought to port the wiki to a mediawiki installation on someone's hosting - could be mine, though I'd have to upgrade my hosting plan - I really dislike wikia, in any case, so the sooner we can depart from it the better.
Image

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5590
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Molpy success

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:20 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:re the Sandcastle game:
Spoiler:
1) How exactly do you get "just" sand to buy the Bigger Buckets? (and other stuff I'm seeing now.)
2) What do you mean by "ninjaing the Newpixbot"? (I don't think I caught that the first Time.)
3) Which leads to: could you go over the features once more? (Sort of to put the basics in one place, please.)

{Currently at NewPix 6 with: 3 buckets, 4 active Newpixbots, and 1 trebuchet. 0.3 sand/milliNewPix.}

Edit for game: and I'm not doing a lot of active clicking. Should I be doing that?
game spoilers abound:
Spoiler:
The amount of sand needed for each successive castle is equal to the sum of the two previous (i.e. Fibonacci), resetting back to a cost of 1 with the ONG.
So to get 400 sand, 986 is used in making 14 castles and then you need 500 beyond that. (if you keep going up to 610 sand, you'll get a 15th castle and will be back at 0 sand.)
So you'll want to get your sand per mNP up a good bit to cut down on clicking, and you'll need to actually use your sand at the right time. (Because if you have 500 sand and then the ONG happens, 376 of it will be made into 12 castles).

The newpixbots activate 12 minutes after the ONG. But if you click for sand in the meantime, they won't. I've added 2 boosts which decrease this waiting time. Currently the game doesn't give any visual feedback that you have ninja'd the newpixbot (they still show an active count). I'll have to change that. Also I don't have a way of showing how long until they activate. I'll have to work on that to.
To summarise the features, Sand Tools give you sand (1000 times per newpix) and Castle Tools give castles once per newpix.
Trebuchet and higher will only give castles if they can first destroy a smaller number of castles. These activate in reverse order. So first, waves will try to destroy 24 castles, then scaffolds will try to destroy 6, then trebuchets 2. Then for each wave that did destroy 24 castles, 40 will be added, and so on. Suppose you have 40 castles and 2 of each Castle Tool:
First, waves will destroy all your castles. The other tools do nothing. Then since only 1 wave had 24 to destroy, only 40 will be added. The other tools destroyed nothing so they will give nothing. The second wave destroyed 16 castles for no benefit... but the number of castles wasted is tracked and will be referenced in Boosts/Badges in the future.

Boosts are unlocked to purchase when certain conditions are met. When they are purchased they become active.
There are no Badges yet but they will be earned for doing various things, and will power up the Molpies boost percentage.
Currently there are no newpix-specific effects, but there will be. Currently the game is playable up to T** **d, but I'll add epilogue support some time. No rush :P
Above all, remember that you need to Wait For It a lot.

I imagine at some point there will be some actual hosting behind the name chirpingmustard.com but that can come later.
ETA note to self: 4 scaffoldings should unlock "A Place to Lean" boost to double the effectiveness of ladders...
Last edited by Eternal Density on Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:23 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2339
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: Molpy success

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:22 am UTC

ttscp wrote:I think I understood differently. I'm going to take credit for starting the whole domain name of our own, back when I proposed and checked out ott.com, otter.com, etc. I was thinking of a refuge for the OTT when and if the moderators here got fed up with us and our deviant ways. So I, at least, was definitely thinking of a hosting site. I can see how others might have thought differently.
Since we never fully agree on anything (ni ni ni ni molpy grapevine ping pong ball) can we have it both ways? kieryn.chirpingmustard.com points to kieryn's site, but (example only) wiki.chirpingmustard.com is hosted at chirpingmustard.com?

We can always use the mailing list to setup a contingency if, and when, we need one.
I can point anything to anywhere ― I just need the details and permission.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5590
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Molpy success

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:25 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
ttscp wrote:I think I understood differently. I'm going to take credit for starting the whole domain name of our own, back when I proposed and checked out ott.com, otter.com, etc. I was thinking of a refuge for the OTT when and if the moderators here got fed up with us and our deviant ways. So I, at least, was definitely thinking of a hosting site. I can see how others might have thought differently.
Since we never fully agree on anything (ni ni ni ni molpy grapevine ping pong ball) can we have it both ways? kieryn.chirpingmustard.com points to kieryn's site, but (example only) wiki.chirpingmustard.com is hosted at chirpingmustard.com?

We can always use the mailing list to setup a contingency if, and when, we need one.
I can point anything to anywhere ― I just need the details and permission.
Could you point castle.chirpingmustard.com to https://googledrive.com/host/0BwphmOA1T ... astle.html ? I suppose I'll have to host it more properly in the future but the link seems to be stable for now.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2339
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: Molpy success

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:29 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
ttscp wrote:I think I understood differently. I'm going to take credit for starting the whole domain name of our own, back when I proposed and checked out ott.com, otter.com, etc. I was thinking of a refuge for the OTT when and if the moderators here got fed up with us and our deviant ways. So I, at least, was definitely thinking of a hosting site. I can see how others might have thought differently.
Since we never fully agree on anything (ni ni ni ni molpy grapevine ping pong ball) can we have it both ways? kieryn.chirpingmustard.com points to kieryn's site, but (example only) wiki.chirpingmustard.com is hosted at chirpingmustard.com?

We can always use the mailing list to setup a contingency if, and when, we need one.
I can point anything to anywhere ― I just need the details and permission.

Could you point castle.chirpingmustard.com to https://googledrive.com/host/0BwphmOA1T ... astle.html ? I suppose I'll have to host it more properly in the future but the link seems to be stable for now.

Done (I think).
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5590
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Molpy success

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:31 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Could you point castle.chirpingmustard.com to https://googledrive.com/host/0BwphmOA1T ... astle.html ? I suppose I'll have to host it more properly in the future but the link seems to be stable for now.

Done (I think).
Now to wait for it to propagate...
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
Kieryn
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:40 pm UTC
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:35 am UTC

I just did my usual ego search on this newpage and I was like:

Kieryn's brain wrote:"woohoo! 12 mentions."


Then I saw why. I feel so used...
Spoiler:
as an example. :) hee hee
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

User avatar
pelrigg
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby pelrigg » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:37 am UTC

@EDRe Sandcastle Clicker:
Thanks for the info. I'll try to put it to good use.
Spoiler:
I just saw it change to NewPix 8. Does that mean if I click like a crazed molpy (starting right after the change) I can get my sand count up to the 500 needed to get a bigger bucket and not ninja newpixbot? Anyway, I'm going to give that a try.

I do tend to do better if I know the rules. (Or guidelines or whatever.)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

User avatar
ttscp
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:05 pm UTC
Location: Lost In Thought - Send Search Party

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ttscp » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:38 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:I just did my usual ego search on this newpage and I was like:

Kieryn's brain wrote:"woohoo! 12 mentions."


Then I saw why. I feel so used...
Spoiler:
as an example. :) hee hee


But a good example. Of something we want to keep. There, did that salve your ego?
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5590
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Kieryn Kieryn Kieryn Kieryn Kieryn Kieryn Kieryn Kieryn Kier

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:46 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:@EDRe Sandcastle Clicker:
Thanks for the info. I'll try to put it to good use.
Spoiler:
I just saw it change to NewPix 8. Does that mean if I click like a crazed molpy (starting right after the change) I can get my sand count up to the 500 needed to get a bigger bucket and not ninja newpixbot? Anyway, I'm going to give that a try.

I do tend to do better if I know the rules. (Or guidelines or whatever.)

No, you'll want to wait for it
Spoiler:
wait for 12 mins after the ONG for newpixbots to kick in, then start working on your clicking. Or you can ignore newpixbots and just click all you like. But it's nice to have the extra castles to spend on buckets to reduce the amount of clicking.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
pelrigg
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

Re: Kieryn Kieryn Kieryn Kieryn Kieryn Kieryn Kieryn Kieryn

Postby pelrigg » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:59 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
pelrigg wrote:@EDRe Sandcastle Clicker:
Thanks for the info. I'll try to put it to good use.
Spoiler:
I just saw it change to NewPix 8. Does that mean if I click like a crazed molpy (starting right after the change) I can get my sand count up to the 500 needed to get a bigger bucket and not ninja newpixbot? Anyway, I'm going to give that a try.

I do tend to do better if I know the rules. (Or guidelines or whatever.)

No, you'll want to wait for it
Spoiler:
wait for 12 mins after the ONG for newpixbots to kick in, then start working on your clicking. Or you can ignore newpixbots and just click all you like. But it's nice to have the extra castles to spend on buckets to reduce the amount of clicking.

OOOPPPPSSSS!!!!!
I just went on my clicking frenzy before "Waiting" for your reply.... (You need a comfy chair penalty maybe...)
Spoiler:
However I now have Bigger Buckets and because I had let the auto-click happen I had 52 castles by the end of my click-o-rama so I bought a Cuegan, did some more clicking and got Helping Hands. I don't have any castles right now, but I am at 1.4 sand/milliNP. I know that's not much, but it's a start. And the ONG happens at the top and bottom of each hourH, right? The ONGs don't happen in some type of "game time", I mean. (That's what the talk about "system clock" meant.)


Edit
Spoiler:
Just saw the ONG at the top of the clock. (So that answers that.) And I got 4 extra castles too. So I guess I didn't do the ninja.....
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2339
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:11 am UTC

Hm.
Shouldn't BlitzGirl have arrived by now?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
k.bookbinder
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:17 pm UTC

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:20 am UTC

castle.chirpingmustard.com is SO much easier to remember! :mrgreen:
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5590
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Kieryn Kieryn Kieryn Kieryn Kieryn Kieryn Kieryn Kieryn

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:23 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:
Spoiler:
Eternal Density wrote:
pelrigg wrote:@EDRe Sandcastle Clicker:
Thanks for the info. I'll try to put it to good use.
I just saw it change to NewPix 8. Does that mean if I click like a crazed molpy (starting right after the change) I can get my sand count up to the 500 needed to get a bigger bucket and not ninja newpixbot? Anyway, I'm going to give that a try.
I do tend to do better if I know the rules. (Or guidelines or whatever.)

No, you'll want to wait for it wait for 12 mins after the ONG for newpixbots to kick in, then start working on your clicking. Or you can ignore newpixbots and just click all you like. But it's nice to have the extra castles to spend on buckets to reduce the amount of clicking.

OOOPPPPSSSS!!!!!
I just went on my clicking frenzy before "Waiting" for your reply.... (You need a comfy chair penalty maybe...)
However I now have Bigger Buckets and because I had let the auto-click happen I had 52 castles by the end of my click-o-rama so I bought a Cuegan, did some more clicking and got Helping Hands. I don't have any castles right now, but I am at 1.4 sand/milliNP. I know that's not much, but it's a start. And the ONG happens at the top and bottom of each hourH, right? The ONGs don't happen in some type of "game time", I mean. (That's what the talk about "system clock" meant.)

Edit
Just saw the ONG at the top of the clock. (So that answers that.) And I got 4 extra castles too. So I guess I didn't do the ninja.....
the ONGs are aligned to Outside half-hour marks of your system clock, but if you play long enough the enslowening will occur, as did occur with Time.
The 4 castles you got on the ONG would have been from sand you had previously collected, now that the cost of castles reset.
I'm testing a display of the newpixbot countdown but I have to Wait For It to test properly.
AluisioASG wrote:Hm.
Shouldn't BlitzGirl have arrived by now?
Yes her absence is worrying.
k.bookbinder wrote:castle.chirpingmustard.com is SO much easier to remember! :mrgreen:
It's not working yet for me. DNS records...
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
ronaldkr
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:37 am UTC
Location: near the center of the Euro depression

Re: Molpy success

Postby ronaldkr » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:25 am UTC

slinches wrote: [...] Seriously though, my impression was that a domain is really just a way to reliably point to a server and it's the server that handles all of the requests. I'm sure it's more complicated than that, but I had assumed that since Aluisio was registering the domain and setting up an email server (will you set one up for me as slinches, please? I'll send a PM with my forwarding address), that he would have put up a basic webpage. I realized as soon as he replied that it was a bad assumption on my part.

By the way, thanks for the really neat castle builder game, ED. And thank you Aluisio for setting up the domain and email accounts. I'd gladly contribute to the domain/hosting fund if there's a way to do so. Would adding a very simple page with a donate button be a good option?

The last sentence seems to be a very good idea. Only it should not be labeled "donations", which would be terribly off, but somethimg like "contributions" or "remuniraton".

User avatar
Kieryn
Posts: 975
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:40 pm UTC
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:26 am UTC

ttscp wrote:
Kieryn wrote:I just did my usual ego search on this newpage and I was like:

Kieryn's brain wrote:"woohoo! 12 mentions."


Then I saw why. I feel so used...
Spoiler:
as an example. :) hee hee


But a good example. Of something we want to keep. There, did that salve your ego?


Yes it was... thank you... my ego is quite content :)

@Eternal Density... um, thanks for those extra mentions there... not sure exactly what to make of it though. I guess any publicity is good publicity, right... :)

This ego trip thing is giving me an idea... what if we started using the page popiness to honor all posters to the thread, even all the one posters? For fairness we would just go in order of first post, starting with rhomboidal. Each page decree would be to honor (and in most cases remember) the individuals posts, highlight their most valued contributions and provide an invitation to come back and say hi, even if it's just one last time. One of us (I guess whoever is pope) could PM the individual with the invitation to post. This would begin a totally new era of thread and would last well over a thousand pages of course...

Should we start on the next page? Is this a silly idea? Too much sappiness? Thoughts?
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5590
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Helper Helper Helper Helper Helper Helper Helper Helper Help

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:42 am UTC

Test successful: newpixbot now shows a countdown to activation, in millinewpix! (In technical terms, Math.ceil((Molpy.ninjaTime-Molpy.ONGelapsed)/Molpy.NPlength); is what happens.) I'll deploy it soonish. I'll probably add something else first.
Kieryn wrote:This ego trip thing is giving me an idea... what if we started using the page popiness to honor all posters to the thread, even all the one posters? For fairness we would just go in order of first post, starting with rhomboidal. Each page decree would be to honor (and in most cases remember) the individuals posts, highlight their most valued contributions and provide an invitation to come back and say hi, even if it's just one last time. One of us (I guess whoever is pope) could PM the individual with the invitation to post. This would begin a totally new era of thread and would last well over a thousand pages of course...

Should we start on the next page? Is this a silly idea? Too much sappiness? Thoughts?
Honoring is good, but I don't think making the popes do it is going to work well.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
Valarya
Posts: 975
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:27 pm UTC
Location: Nashville

Re: Molpy success

Postby Valarya » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:43 am UTC

ronaldkr wrote:
slinches wrote:
Spoiler:
[...] Seriously though, my impression was that a domain is really just a way to reliably point to a server and it's the server that handles all of the requests. I'm sure it's more complicated than that, but I had assumed that since Aluisio was registering the domain and setting up an email server (will you set one up for me as slinches, please? I'll send a PM with my forwarding address), that he would have put up a basic webpage. I realized as soon as he replied that it was a bad assumption on my part.

By the way, thanks for the really neat castle builder game, ED. And thank you Aluisio for setting up the domain and email accounts.
I'd gladly contribute to the domain/hosting fund if there's a way to do so. Would adding a very simple page with a donate button be a good option?

The last sentence seems to be a very good idea. Only it should not be labeled "donations", which would be terribly off, but somethimg like "contributions" or "remuniraton".

I believe he said you could send 'contributions' to the following address should you so choose:
AluisioASG wrote:If you want and can, you can send your donation through PayPal to paypal@id.aasg.name. Remember, donations are appreciated but not required. **This is not a paid service.**
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Image

User avatar
AluisioASG
Posts: 2339
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 am UTC
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow
Contact:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:22 am UTC

I hope this brings BlitzGirl back:
Spoiler:
Image
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5590
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Molpy Update!

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:24 am UTC

That's right, there's a new version available if you refresh! (save first :P)
The art of not-ninjaing should be clearer now. Also sand production rates are shown as totals for each tool type so you know what's producing what.
And I fiddled with the loot area in preparation for adding Badges. Actually badges are partly added but there's still plenty to do.
Oh I added some more Boosts too. But they're based on buying flags so you probably won't see them soon :P

Aluisio: I grinned. I hope it does too.
Spoiler:
Image
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Feedfetcher and 114 guests