1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eternal Density

One more newpix...

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:53 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:36 newpix in a row?! :shock: You madman!
(Just in case the Madness of your own game has gotten to you, I think you misspelled the "Kingdom" badge.)

One more rONG and then I'm off to coma some more:

Whoops! Thanks for pointing that out. Mustard happens (as does chirping apparently)
I should coma too. Election tomorrow!

Whizbang wrote:Re: Castle Game Color Scheme

I suppose it would be too much to make it optional, huh? Like have a drop-down that lets you choose a color scheme.
Please see my previous use of the word 'option' on this page. Yeah I'd like that but it'll take some work to figure out how.

ETA wow I had a weird feeling when I typed 'on this page' that it would come back to haunt me.
Anyhow I think I need more Newpixbot boosts and ladders, scaffolds and waves need a general buff as I think they are not worth the cost yet. (I should also make the descriptions of Castle tools show their boosted stats)
I won't decree but feedback on pricing or anything really is welcome.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

HES

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

Until we sort out a new host, could wiki.chirpingmustard.com point to wikia?

ttscp wrote:There, did that panther your ego?

FTFY

AluisioASG wrote:Molpy down.

That is the cutest damn .gif I've seen in wips!

@Blitzgirl
Spoiler:
He/Him/His Image

Eternal Density

Molpy Down! Will OTTify more another Time

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:16 pm UTC

I thought for sure that I was about to earn Ninja Stealth.

Do you think, everything, everyone, has gone to mustard?
Oh well I guess I mustn't grumble. I suppose that's just the way the castle crumbles.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Re: One more newpix...

Postby Whizbang » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:17 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I won't decree but feedback on pricing or anything really is welcome.

Pricing seems fine, at least at the start. I think that maybe the prices later on might even be too cheap. After all, the point of the game is to "wait for it", right?

Man, this game would have been great to play along with the actual comic.

Idea/pipe-dream: What about some sort of molpy hunting ability? Or mustard hunting? By which I mean, you use the NewPix as a background for a table. Then make the table, I dunno, like 50 columns by 30 rows or something (whatever works for the ratio of the image). In a random square, insert a bit of mustard, like a single darkening pixel or something. It can easily just be a transparent image with a black pixel or something in the center, or maybe not even an image, but a period centered and colored a random color. If you want/are able to get fancy, you could somehow sample the color in that region in the original NewPix, but that seems like a lot of work. Anyway, clicking on the mustard square will give you a bonus of some sort. Badges could be made for the most consecutive mustard finds, total finds, etc.

Just a thought.

Eternal Density

Or not

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:44 pm UTC

Stealthy Newpixbots are stealthy! Okay now I can coma in peace.

I'll probably have some kind of 'hunt' interaction. We'll see.

Eternal Density

Or not redux

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:08 pm UTC

I can't sleep with unsolved problems.
Changing the colour scheme based on user choice will not be difficult though it will require a page refresh. That's not surprising. Link to the info I found : www.centerkey.com/style/switcher/
Okay maybe I can coma now. Also I've designed a way to make Ninja Madness bearable...

jovialbard

Re: Or not redux

Postby jovialbard » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:25 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I can't sleep with unsolved problems.
Changing the colour scheme based on user choice will not be difficult though it will require a page refresh. That's not surprising. Link to the info I found : http://www.centerkey.com/style/switcher/
Okay maybe I can coma now. Also I've designed a way to make Ninja Madness bearable...

I'm not super expert at css, but you could try the following:
Have a dropdown or something that onchange changes the outermost div to have an appropriate class name like .dark or .light or .trippy
If you're using jQuery (which I recommend) then it would be something like: $('#page_contents').attr('class','dark'); where page_contents is a container div for everything else
You then write all your css into one file with the different overall class names prepended with a space... like so:
.dark p { background: black }
.light p { background: white }
This tells it to look for all p tags that are the children of .dark or .light tags respectively.
I'm not sure it's the best way to do it (probably not), but it's probably how I would do it, and it doesn't require a page reload.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:27 pm UTC

HES wrote:Until we sort out a new host, could wiki.chirpingmustard.com point to wikia?

Done.

Sciscitor wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:I can point anything to anywhere ― I just need the details and permission.

I am not really good with DNS workings... but would it be possible to point database.chirpingmustard.com to my site? Do I need any configuration on ngnix for this to work properly?

I think so. I'll need to research on this. Meanwhile, I'll just forward to it (also, using db instead, if you're fine with it).
BTW at http://xkcd.mscha.org/sciscitor/ you have a relative link to the database.
Hm, I can't access the database.

cellocgw wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:

There's a bug in your picture. No, literally :twisted:. There are no natural vertebrates w/ 6 limbs -- unless the wings are just repurposed ear flaps :mrgreen:

FTFY
Are people who believe in Walter Bishop called Bishops or Bishopists?

BlitzGirl wrote:Hi Aluisio and Eternal Density and fellow OTTers! Apologies for the absence - I've been sick as a wolpy and spent most of todip in coma. Still not at 100% yet and might molpy down again soon, or I might just lie in bed with my laptop and lurk here while going clickety clickety clickety on the Sandcastle Builder (which is surprisingly therapeutic).

Things I learned in the US #1: if you need something, anything, go to a CVS. Meds for cough+cold+headache: ✓. Panther salve: ✓. Notebook: ✓. Multicolored pen pack: ✓. Prepaid debit card: ✓. Sunglasses: ✓. SUV tires: ✓. Boat: ✓.

For when you feel better:
Spoiler:
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:49 pm UTC

Crossing web comic boundaries in a moment of "it's all related":

http://penny-arcade.com/2013/09/04/i-am-generating-16321332.2-cookies-per-second
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:03 pm UTC

I spent hours and hours trying to get to at least 1MCpS on cookie clicker and couldn't even do that, when ya'll were talking about multiple millions... so the castle game makes even less sense to me. And here I called myself a gamer. :?

Oh look. Even Penny Arcade is talking about 16 MCpS :cry:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

MistyCat

Postby MistyCat » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:10 pm UTC

BlindPosting from 524
Cheered by Sigcouragement from AluisioASG, Earthling on Mars and TheMinim

I've just read a truly awesome summary by ChronosDragon.

I've made it to 524/1444
I shall reach the end.
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:15 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
You could have stopped it.
<snip>

First of all:
About the story: well, that's a different ending. But I'm me, so I embrace different versions.

I'd likely write something more here but I'm running out of time. I need to buy and bake a cake for you (and learn how to use the oven).

Redundant:
Spoiler:
Alt.png
This is how it really began.
Selecting new quote…

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:19 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:I spent hours and hours trying to get to at least 1MCpS on cookie clicker and couldn't even do that, when ya'll were talking about multiple millions... so the castle game makes even less sense to me. And here I called myself a gamer. :?

cookie stuff:

Spoiler:
Here's the rules I use to decide what to buy: Don't buy a portal unless it costs less than 1/10 the cost of a time machine. Don't buy a alchemy lab unless it costs less than 1/10 the cost of a portal. Only buy grandmas and cursors if they are equal in value or less than an alchemy lab. Don't buy anything else unless it costs less than your current Cps. Focus on buying upgrades when they are less than 10 times the cost of the most expensive thing you can buy. Now it's pretty slow at 270 MCpS. I can buy a time machine for 1T or a +15% upgrade for 10T. At 250MCpS it's going to be a while... and it won't give me much.

waveney

Postby waveney » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:37 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:I spent hours and hours trying to get to at least 1MCpS on cookie clicker and couldn't even do that, when ya'll were talking about multiple millions... so the castle game makes even less sense to me. And here I called myself a gamer. :?

1.1GCps.... :roll: (100th timemachine in about 5-10 minutes)

Also trying the castle clicker - will give some comments soon.

I twerked a couple of the Beany ONG pictures that are about to come up to reduce the mustard...

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:45 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:I am not really good with DNS workings... but would it be possible to point database.chirpingmustard.com to my site? Do I need any configuration on ngnix for this to work properly?

I think so. I'll need to research on this. Meanwhile, I'll just forward to it (also, using db instead, if you're fine with it).
BTW at http://xkcd.mscha.org/sciscitor/ you have a relative link to the database.

Thank you AluisioASG! The relative link is fixed now.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:49 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:I need to buy and bake a cake for you (and learn how to use the oven).

Mustard. Turns out I don't have an oven.
Selecting new quote…

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:14 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:
azule wrote:
Ebonite wrote:I'd be interested if anyone has any perception of me one way or the other, despite my non-Blitzgirl-like number of posts. :-)
I guess I wouldn't say you had a juvenile sense of humor, not that I noticed. Except, in your sig, "Lord of the Three Holes"...what the hell is that? lol. I think of you as easy going in your ability to share. Off-hand is like off-topic to you, in this thread it is unheard of.

@azule: I happen to know this about Ebonite because we talked about it in thread one Time. re: "Lord of the Three Holes"? The Ebonite Company manufactures bowling balls. And one of the balls they made was for The Bowler in "Mystery Men". Which is where Ebonite's avatar comes from. (I happened to ask about the connection when folks were talking about their nicknames. So when I quoted The Bowler, he said "Mystery Men" was a favorite movie.) {Just passing this on in case he doesn't post again for another 25-30 newpages. I wouldn't want you to lose sleep over it.}

Pelrigg has it right! I'm a bowler - hence the name "Ebonite". I think I may have explained that I started using the name "Ebonite the Enchanted" a long, long time ago as a character name for games such as rogue and nethack, because it sounded mystical. I shortened it to just "Ebonite" for general use as a forum id or a global id in MMORPGs.

And yes, that's why I refer to myself in my sig as "Lord of the Three Holes". . .it's a reference to a bowling ball. I can't imagine what ELSE it could refer to, even if you have a dirty mind. :-)

So, to go off-hand (or off-topic) again: here's what was probably the first song parody I ever wrote. I wrote this back around 1975. My friends and I were all youth bowlers, and we used to watch the PBA (Professional Bowlers Association) on TV every Saturday afternoon, and we dreamed of someday being as good as the pros.

Some things you may need to know for this parody to make sense:
  • Tommy Hudson, Earl Anthony, Mark Roth, and Marshall Holman were among the top bowlers in the 1970s. They're all in the PBA Hall of Fame now.
  • Dick Weber is one of the greatest bowlers in the history of the sport. So is his son, Pete, although when I wrote this parody, I think I was actually referring to Dick because Pete didn't start his career until a few years later.
  • Chris Schenkel and Nelson ("Bo") Burton, Jr. were the sports commentators for the telecast of the PBA events on the ABC TV network in the 1970s.
  • The Firestone Tournament of Champions used to be the biggest tournament of the year -- equivalent to the "Super Bowl" of bowling.
  • Lite Beer had a very popular line of TV commercials in the 1970s that involved professional athletes. You knew you made it big as an athlete if you were asked to do a Lite Beer commercial.

Here's the parody:

The Ballad of the PBA
(To the tune of "Rhinestone Cowboy" by Glen Campbell)

Spoiler:
I go bowling almost every day
'Cause I wanna join the PBA
But I'm not gonna make it this way, I can't break 200
So I go and get my other ball
Cause it always makes my ten pin fall, like a blow from Ali
Even though my thumb is swollen
I keep practicing my bowling
'Cause I wanna be where the bucks keep comin' to me

I'm a new pro bowler
Riding out in my Jag to the lanes they named after me
A new pro bowler
Striking out in the tenth to shut out Earl Anthony
And beating Mark Roth on TV

I can see me blowing Weber away
Showing Holman a terrible day
And hearing Chris Schenkel say I'm the winner at Firestone
Tommy Hudson comes to me for aid
And tomorrow I'm getting paid for using Trac II
Even though my finger's hurtin'
I give tips to old Bo Burton
But I'll know I'm the best when they ask me to pitch for Lite Beer

I'm a new pro bowler
Riding out in my Jag to the lanes they named after me
A new pro bowler
Striking out in the tenth to shut out Earl Anthony
And beating Mark Roth on TV
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

ASSUMONGLY...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

waveney

Postby waveney » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:37 pm UTC

An Ottercomic for thee:

This may not have been the best decision...

Spoiler:
795 modified.png

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

Poincare conjecture? (smooth four-dimensional version)
Riemann hypothesis?
LIttlewood conjecture?

Bad news for ya -- there's rather a lot of unsolved problems, not even counting the poorly defined ones like "where did I leave my hat?"
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

waveney

Postby waveney » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:

Riemann hypothesis?
LIttlewood conjecture?

Bad news for ya -- there's rather a lot of unsolved problems, not even counting the poorly defined ones like "where did I leave my hat?"

And most important of all: Beanish!

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:32 pm UTC

waveney wrote:
cellocgw wrote:

Riemann hypothesis?
LIttlewood conjecture?

And most important of all: Beanish!

Then the second most important must be the epilogue sequence.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:49 pm UTC

If I knew more than the memified version of that '99 problems' song (rap? Sesame Street segment involving The Count?) I would make some kind of a pun involving that and 'sleeping with' things that are or are not [unsolved] problems or human femwolpies, but I don't, and I think I can hear a chainsaw in the distance.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

HES

Postby HES » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Bad news for ya -- there's rather a lot of unsolved problems, not even counting the poorly defined ones like "where did I leave my hat?"

Why did the molpy cross the grapevine?

heh, "femwolpies" :lol:
He/Him/His Image

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:27 pm UTC

Re: Castle Clicking Game

What does the Molpies Boost do? It "increases sand rate a bit based on achievements". I do not see a bucket or Cuegan rate increase. I am not sure if my click rate has increased. Have I just not got the right "achievements"? What achievements affect Molpies?

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:31 pm UTC

Thanks for the cakes, HES and Aluisio! :)
Treeish...um, bowlification, Ebonite!
Awesomeful OTTercomic, waveney!

Molpy up! (sort of)
Spoiler:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:51 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Re: Castle Clicking Game

What does the Molpies Boost do? It "increases sand rate a bit based on achievements". I do not see a bucket or Cuegan rate increase. I am not sure if my click rate has increased. Have I just not got the right "achievements"? What achievements affect Molpies?

Well, when mine "come" they get treats. Bit of a sad wolpy today though.
cone_of_shame.jpg
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:52 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Re: Castle Clicking Game

You haven't got the right achievements - I think it's to do with badges but I'm not sure about that. :D
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:09 pm UTC

D'aww poor wolpy. I sympathize. Image

HES wrote:
cellocgw wrote:Bad news for ya -- there's rather a lot of unsolved problems, not even counting the poorly defined ones like "where did I leave my hat?"

Why did the molpy cross the grapevine?

To get to the other 2d slice and escape the unending gaze of the OTTers Waiting for it to move some more.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Philip Thomas

Postby Philip Thomas » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

Thanks everyone for the treeish summoning circles.
"There is nothing illegal about being Evil. Some of our best lawyers are Evil" Nicetas, Imperial Commentaries

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:43 pm UTC

Alright. I'm starting Cookie Clicker over. Being a failure is not in the cards. And hey, I got the Sacrifice achievement. :twisted:

TREEISH OTTercomic, waveney!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:49 pm UTC

Woo! I have reached the first newpix of dialogue in Sandcastle Builder. It's so exciting! Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mrob27

Time capsule from mrob27, sealed on newpage 151

Postby mrob27 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!-capsule from @mrob27, deposited at Newpage 151
Do not open until Newpage 1444

When you open this message I woll have be-done gone for about 15 newpages. Nopixbit tells of a craving for M.a.d.n.e.s.s that I must not leave unanswered. I apologize in advance for the unusual appearance of the following, it seems to be necessary, as our Dark Overloads seem to be displeased with more readable wordy-writey-meaning-conveying-wibbly-wobbly stuff.

- < O > -

Regar∂ing sṗoileŕs: So faŕ, posters håve done a pretty good job of nøt ŝpoiling things for the Blîtžers. As Outside Timé goes on, it'll be soɱewhat less of a probŀem, becaüse people are nøw being attracted to tℏis Thread aƒter having seén the fuŀl stoŕy of the Comic.

Tℏeŕe is a "meta-spoiler" that pervadeŝ eveŕything: In tℏe sigñatures I seé that different OTTers léft at dîfférént times (†hat's to be expectéd) and their sigs are lit†le snaṗsho†s of the OTT culturé at the time they left. Many of them have hats, and otℏer siğnŝ of cŕeatîvity. It is clear †o aný bŀitzer that the OTT becomes a ɱuch møre interesting plaçe at ŝome poiñt in the futüre. Øf couŕsé, I don't thînk this is a "spøiler" because ño-oñe's going to ŝeriously* bŀitz the while thing unless †hey alréady knøw how rich and enğåging the çulture wiŀl become. Ƀut now-when in the éårly newpages that culture hasn't appeared ye†.

Ŧhere are many links to the One Ŧrue Wikî, which is one hugé OTC spoileŕ. I don'† think aný†hing can or should be døne aƅoüt that, instead I treat the Wiķi aŝ being liké the Restaurant at tℏe Eñd of the Uniṿeŕŝe -- å plaçe †hat †ranscénds all Time, and where (in the ωords of Douğlas Adams) "you can visît any Time you want and be assured oƒ never meetiñg yourŝelf, bécaüse of the embarrasŝment thîs usualŀy causes".

Wℏile on the Ẃiki fixîng thé mustard in ɱy previøus ŕetrØTTificatiøn I saw there has been a bit of disçussîon of †he ra†heŕ clumsy ånd ŝlightly confusing nameŝ we haṿe for all these diƒferent types øf çreative ṗåstîche. Ḯ suggest you check out thé disçuŝsion añd contribute an opinion.

I'll compŀiçaté the namiñğ some møre by callîñg the followîng a "retrOŦT-if". The "retŕo" part îŝ tℏat I'm deliberately wrîting tℏis suçh †hat, even if I saw it now on ŊewPage 151, ît would no† spoil anythîng beyond †he meta- †hiñg I mentione∂ abové.

The inspiration for this, apar† ƒrøm the øbvious, was @Valarya's comparison oƒ me †o the Old Ones. Boy ýou've gø† strange taŝ†es. One might even thinķ that you crave The Madnesŝ. So, here you gø, Valaŕya, †hîs is for you:

TWITT6R

How many unique English (or Welsh, Đutch, Çyrillic, Kliñgon, or R'leyhian) forüm pos†s aŕe posŝiblé? How long would it †aké for the populåtion of Ŋewpixia tø réad them an∂ laugh out loud?

High up iñ thé Clouds in a server ƒarm çaŀled ŦøwardEX, †here is añ xkc∂. I†s serves a hundred teraƅytes at a hun∂ŕed gigabits per second. Once evéry thousand ɱillinewpiẋ, a little PNG comeŝ to this sérver to awaken a thousand coma-depŕiṿed users with itŝ BØNG. When the server's diskspace has been thus filled with fråmes, then a siñgle day of Megan an∂ Cueball's castŀe-building will håve goné by.

TWIŦT6R (Things What Ḯs-oñ-my Thiğh Ŧℏor 600, Randall!) is thé threåd on the χKCD forüms where éverything, (perhaps even tℏe One Tŕue Comic) is discussed.

Forum siğnaturés are 300 chårac†ers long. There åré 26 characters in English -- 163 if yøu add tℏe Ẃeŀsh, Dutch, Cyrillîc, Kŀingoñ, and Ŗ'leyℏîan alphabetŝ ṗlus uṗpercase ånd comɱon punctuåtîøn. Using thoŝe characters, †here are 163300 ≈ 10664 possible ŝignatures.

But TWITT6R ∂oesn't liɱit you to those 163 characters. You have all of Unicode to play with, and oür Outsider Overlords have added over a million extra encodingŝ. The ωay Mods conver† ṗosts is comṗŀicated, but the numƅer of possible posts could be as high as

234803 60000 ≈ 10322242 characters

Of coürse, almost all of the posts on TWḮTT6R are meanîngless jumbles of charåcters from a hundred diƒferént lañguageŝ. Even iƒ you're limî†ed to †ℏe words made up by Newpixians or added by Mods, the forum would be full oƒ meanîngless jümbŀes.

it'ŝ nearly content-frée

Ŧℏis ǭueŝtioñ was about ṗostŝ tℏat actually ŝay something in a recognizablé ŀanguage. How måny øf those are ṗossible?

This is a toügh question. Your first impulŝe might be tø aŀloω oñly English (oŕ Welsh, Dutch, etc.) wør∂s. Ŧhen ýou could further reŝtŕict ît †o gramɱåtîcally valid sentencés. Oñé could use rigoroüs mathematicål añalysis (like tha† deveŀoped by Claude Șhannon) to determine thé înførmåtiøn conteñt of tyṗical written Englîsh (and R'ŀéyhiañ, Klinğon, etc.).

bacon threatens to fŀood the beach with SHØGGNYTHH!!!

Unfortünatelý, thiŝ has no bearing at all on TWITT6R. When présen†é∂ with thé challenge illustratéd ƅy †he meaninglesŝ juɱƅle above, the Newpixiañs responded, wî†hin a mere †hree néwpix, with a novel ŝtrategy:

The madness is irrelevånt. Seek out an∂ embråce the mådness!

In thé foruɱ of †he One Tŕue Comic, every utterånce is meaningful, and the less recognižable or lucid, the better.

Now, how long ωould it †ake for the Ŋewṗixianŝ to reåd them all?

Réadiñg 10322242 posts would take a person over 10322230 lifetîmes. It'ŝ such a staggeringly ŀarğe numƅer that it hardly matters whethér theŕe are a tℏousan∂ Ŋewpixianŝ or a googøl -- they won't be aƅle to read a meaningful fråctiøn of the newpages, in the lifetimé of the üniverse.

Ins†ead, let's thînk ƅack †o tℏa† xķc∂ serveŕ in the cløüd. Suppose that every time tℏe server's 100 terabytes øf storage fill up with newṗix, a single grain of semenated coffeé grounds getŝ added to the sandcastlé. That means that every 10 billion newpix, å graîn of coffeesemen gets ådded. 10 biŀlion neωpix is about 570,000 here†ical ýeårs, so that gives you an î∂ea høw ℏuch Time we're taŀking about.

Let's ŝay you ånd your goøgol frien∂s on the forum are eaçh reading posts, full time (the sandcastle gives ŝtrength, çoma is unnecesŝary). Whîle you'ŕe doing tℏis, every 10 billion newpix a grain is ådded to the castle.

A cuƅic meter of sand haŝ about 1012 grains øf sand, and wé can estîmate tha† one of M&C's castles (say, the oñe oñ †he left ωith the pointy tøωeŕs) has about the ŝame voluɱe of çaffeinatedseméncoffee. So it ωould take åbout 5.7 x 1017 here†ical years before wé'd see this castle completely built. Büt that's okay, because you know... Wait For It.

The caŝtle disappears, becauŝe, heý, did you ℏear my great †heory? Ṁegan and Cueball wilŀ leave, the cas†le will get washed away and then the animation will start over frøm the first frame!

Anywåy... the castle disappeaŕs, ånd M&C start again from an emptý beach. 365 daýs of M&C building, each over 1017 Newpixiañ years, îs a year for them.

365 little Magic Kingdoî

Tℏat's not gøinğ to ƅe eñough. Let's suppoŝe †hey have to fill the entire frame with blaçķ ṗixéŀs semencoffee (perℏaps 1000 times aŝ much as the castle), añd we'ŀl call that a füll daý of Megan añd Cueball's buil∂ing.

Théy continue for the lifetimé of their universe -- say 1010 of their yeaŕs. That's over 1033 years for you and your felløw Newpixians reading †he forum. Then after that time, yoü wiŀl have read over 10140 messageŝ. You have to do the såme tℏîng 10322102 tîmes.

So yeah, poŝt all you want, becausé, you know, TREɃUCHET!

Añd døn't ŀet The Madness s†op yoü, beçause, you know, CTHULHU FHŦAGN!

- < O > -

Bý the wåy, I love researching these tℏings. Check the links oñ †he numberŝ 234803 and 60000 åbove!

*I think I üsed "seriously" right, but it could be one of those things.
Spoiler:
ottif-034-contentfree.png
it's nearly content-free!
ottif-034-shannon.png
bacon threatens to flood the beach with SHOGGNYTHH!!!
ottif-034-embrace.png
The madness is irrelevant. Seek out and embrace the madness!
ottif-034-365-Magic-Kingdoms.png
365 little Magic Kingdoi
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

wizpretz

Postby wizpretz » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:04 pm UTC

Has this turned into a cookie clicker forum? Because if so I'm all for it.
I'm still here. I couldn't resist the infinite pull of the OTT.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

A-ha! The basement is serving its function! :D Hi wizpretz!

We're mostly over the EVIL c**kies by this Time. (Mostly.) Or at least, it's not the main topic of discussion right now. Castle-clicking is the OTT new thing!

(That was awesomeful, mrob. I had a ch*rp of a Time hunting for that one asterisk amid all of the diacritics - eventually just used Find!)
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:13 pm UTC

Oh, SBN, that looks like a very sad wolpy indeed! They always look so pathetic when they have those collars on. :cry:

Valarya wrote:Alright. I'm starting Cookie Clicker over. Being a failure is not in the cards. And hey, I got the Sacrifice achievement. :twisted:

TREEISH OTTercomic, waveney!

Discussion of heretical game, spoilered since heretical
Spoiler:
Val, I was going to say that I think you're working to hard with the c**kie game. I buy some stuff then let it run, then buy more stuff and let it run. ED's script definitely helps. Ooh, I forgot I need to sell a grandma to get the "Just Wrong" achievement. *sells grandma* Much better now! Anyway, I don't really have a plan. I'm playing the ADOS version (attention deficit--ooh, shiny!). So, I try to save up to buy as many time machines as possible, but then I think, hey I almost have 50 or 100 of this or that, or that boost looks handy. So, not really a set strategy. I do try to get the upgrades that boost overall production, and the kittens, cause, kittens!, but it's not a hard and fast rule. And I have 28Mcps, not as much as others, but with not much effort.

Eternal Density, your badges are hilarious. (Amazon-1 click, oops I clicked it again. :D ) I really really want to click right now, but I'll ninja the newpixbot. So, if I click right after the timer runs out, is that how I get the No Ninja *waits for it, albeit impatiently* Re: The color scheme, while on black would be more OTC-like, and I think easier to read. That's my two sands cents.

One other thing--I felt like the prices were maybe too high at the beginning. Just comparing it to the heretical game, it seems like in that it's easier to see the progress right away from buying one cursor or one grandma. Then again, this game is about waiting for it, so maybe that's how it should be. Anyway, it's treeish and steakish and awesomeful. *Checks timer* Nope, still can't click. Randammit! :D

And in Preview I seem an crazy awesomeful post from mrob!

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

ONGARBLED...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Blindpost from NP1434

Postby Earthling on Mars » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:32 pm UTC

Well, I'm starting to get tired of being in the past, so I jumped ahead from NP1401 to NP1430. I'll go back and read those 30 NPs eventually. For now, some replies...

NP1430 (quoted by mrob27)
patzer wrote:
Spoiler:

*sniffle*

NP1431
WOnder93 wrote:Obligatory Markov chains:
<snip>
Adventure ' s coming for you , Time .
<snip>

'Twas indeed.

NP1431
Vytron wrote:For this special occasion I bring you another Past Present!
Spoiler:

Neat! And Flado is still in the past, over 800 pages later...

NP1432
azule wrote:
Though, this isn't mine...that's original. Musta been caused by my mustard link, sorry.

Where is that image on xkcd?

higgs-boson wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:And how fast it goes

As long as it does not go over a Speed Bump...

That picture at the bottom... is that... one of the Bangs Brothers? Image

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:50 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:

Riemann hypothesis?
LIttlewood conjecture?

Those aren't my problems.
Angelastic wrote:

If I knew more than the memified version of that '99 problems' song (rap? Sesame Street segment involving The Count?) I would make some kind of a pun involving that and 'sleeping with' things that are or are not [unsolved] problems or human femwolpies, but I don't, and I think I can hear a chainsaw in the distance.
A song from The Sound of Music just popped into my mind. Guess which.

Yeah I said the Molpies text needs fixing. Should say badges. Also I think the current percentage is a bit low. If you have high enough sand rate you may see the individual sand tool rates don't quite add up to the total.
I also noticed that the ninja'd text doesn't clear until you mouse over the Newpixbots

My CSS could do with some rewriting. I haven't done a heap before so it's kinda messy and not well thought out.
I'm not ketched up yet but it's shower time. Probably more replies later.

Valarya

Re: Time capsule from mrob27, sealed on newpage 151

Postby Valarya » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:51 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:<snip>
I apologize in advance for the unusual appearance of the following, it seems to be necessary, as our Dark Overloads seem to be displeased with more readable wordy-writey-meaning-conveying-wibbly-wobbly stuff.

:shock: I hope you wrote something to help make the below typing format easier for you. I can't imagine how long it would take someone like me to make such an incredibly complex, lengthy, wonderful and full-of-legible-but-insane-characters post such as you have done.

mrob27 wrote:The inspiration for this, apar† ƒrøm the øbvious, was @Valarya's comparison oƒ me †o the Old Ones. Boy ýou've gø† strange taŝ†es. One might even thinķ that you crave The Madnesŝ. So, here you gø, Valaŕya, †hîs is for you:
Spoiler:
TWITT6R

How many unique English (or Welsh, Đutch, Çyrillic, Kliñgon, or R'leyhian) forüm pos†s aŕe posŝiblé? How long would it †aké for the populåtion of Ŋewpixia tø réad them an∂ laugh out loud?

High up iñ thé Clouds in a server ƒarm çaŀled ŦøwardEX, †here is añ xkc∂. I†s serves a hundred teraƅytes at a hun∂ŕed gigabits per second. Once evéry thousand ɱillinewpiẋ, a little PNG comeŝ to this sérver to awaken a thousand coma-depŕiṿed users with itŝ BØNG. When the server's diskspace has been thus filled with fråmes, then a siñgle day of Megan an∂ Cueball's castŀe-building will håve goné by.

TWIŦT6R (Things What Ḯs-oñ-my Thiğh Ŧℏor 600, Randall!) is thé threåd on the χKCD forüms where éverything, (perhaps even tℏe One Tŕue Comic) is discussed.

Forum siğnaturés are 300 chårac†ers long. There åré 26 characters in English -- 163 if yøu add tℏe Ẃeŀsh, Dutch, Cyrillîc, Kŀingoñ, and Ŗ'leyℏîan alphabetŝ ṗlus uṗpercase ånd comɱon punctuåtîøn. Using thoŝe characters, †here are 163300 ≈ 10664 possible ŝignatures.

But TWITT6R ∂oesn't liɱit you to those 163 characters. You have all of Unicode to play with, and oür Outsider Overlords have added over a million extra encodingŝ. The ωay Mods conver† ṗosts is comṗŀicated, but the numƅer of possible posts could be as high as

234803 60000 ≈ 10322242 characters

Of coürse, almost all of the posts on TWḮTT6R are meanîngless jumbles of charåcters from a hundred diƒferént lañguageŝ. Even iƒ you're limî†ed to †ℏe words made up by Newpixians or added by Mods, the forum would be full oƒ meanîngless jümbŀes.

it'ŝ nearly content-frée

Ŧℏis ǭueŝtioñ was about ṗostŝ tℏat actually ŝay something in a recognizablé ŀanguage. How måny øf those are ṗossible?

This is a toügh question. Your first impulŝe might be tø aŀloω oñly English (oŕ Welsh, Dutch, etc.) wør∂s. Ŧhen ýou could further reŝtŕict ît †o gramɱåtîcally valid sentencés. Oñé could use rigoroüs mathematicål añalysis (like tha† deveŀoped by Claude Șhannon) to determine thé înførmåtiøn conteñt of tyṗical written Englîsh (and R'ŀéyhiañ, Klinğon, etc.).

bacon threatens to fŀood the beach with SHØGGNYTHH!!!

Unfortünatelý, thiŝ has no bearing at all on TWITT6R. When présen†é∂ with thé challenge illustratéd ƅy †he meaninglesŝ juɱƅle above, the Newpixiañs responded, wî†hin a mere †hree néwpix, with a novel ŝtrategy:

The madness is irrelevånt. Seek out an∂ embråce the mådness!

In thé foruɱ of †he One Tŕue Comic, every utterånce is meaningful, and the less recognižable or lucid, the better.

Now, how long ωould it †ake for the Ŋewṗixianŝ to reåd them all?

Réadiñg 10322242 posts would take a person over 10322230 lifetîmes. It'ŝ such a staggeringly ŀarğe numƅer that it hardly matters whethér theŕe are a tℏousan∂ Ŋewpixianŝ or a googøl -- they won't be aƅle to read a meaningful fråctiøn of the newpages, in the lifetimé of the üniverse.

Ins†ead, let's thînk ƅack †o tℏa† xķc∂ serveŕ in the cløüd. Suppose that every time tℏe server's 100 terabytes øf storage fill up with newṗix, a single grain of semenated coffeé grounds getŝ added to the sandcastlé. That means that every 10 billion newpix, å graîn of coffeesemen gets ådded. 10 biŀlion neωpix is about 570,000 here†ical ýeårs, so that gives you an î∂ea høw ℏuch Time we're taŀking about.

Let's ŝay you ånd your goøgol frien∂s on the forum are eaçh reading posts, full time (the sandcastle gives ŝtrength, çoma is unnecesŝary). Whîle you'ŕe doing tℏis, every 10 billion newpix a grain is ådded to the castle.

A cuƅic meter of sand haŝ about 1012 grains øf sand, and wé can estîmate tha† one of M&C's castles (say, the oñe oñ †he left ωith the pointy tøωeŕs) has about the ŝame voluɱe of çaffeinatedseméncoffee. So it ωould take åbout 5.7 x 1017 here†ical years before wé'd see this castle completely built. Büt that's okay, because you know... Wait For It.

Image Image Image Why thank you! Although the madness definitely has it's clutches in you, we might still have to strap you in the comfy chair for the use of the ancient and heretical: Ŋewṗixianŝ.

mrob27 wrote:The caŝtle disappears, becauŝe, heý, did you ℏear my great †heory? Ṁegan and Cueball wilŀ leave, the cas†le will get washed away and then the animation will start over frøm the first frame!

Quick! Someone get mrob a Time Portal! The Loopists have him..

But good lord, BRAVO. Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”