1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

taixzo

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby taixzo » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:02 am UTC

Rapidly approaching the Present.

Also, I seem to have misplaced a page's worth of replies, so here's the only one I used Pikrass's script for:

Earthling on Mars wrote:Image
Nobody uses that image anymore.

There's that "Ketchup Time" image! I have wanted to use it in the past, but couldn't find it because I didn't know what keywords to search for.

Edit: And apparently retro-Pope! Decree: Wait for me!! :D
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ChronosDragon

Re: longpix is long

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:05 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:I hope he has done well on the tests.

The history quiz (read: insignificant percentage of class grade) went over like a lead balloon
...though I suspect if it had been curved, I'd feeling pretty good about it - most everyone else did worse

The chem test I feel pretty confident about, though I have no way of telling until Monday.

Operative assumption of this post is that the tests you refer to are literal tests in school, and not some other, more subtle test performed on or including me...

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:07 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:Hey ED, I just loaded version 0.932 and suddenly it only records something like one click per secondH to one click per second-and-a-halfH. Although I like the floating "plus number" idea, it looks like there's something slowing the system down.

Also, when I have the screen scrolled up to the top, the notifications (like "Game Saved") barely make it on the screen; but if I'm scrolled to the bottom, the notifications make it to the middle of the screen before disappearing.
Notes about this in spoiler:
Spoiler:
Currently I have stuff on the "booster" line. So you know how many lines I have.
When my screen is at the top of the page, the cut-off is at the top of the "Castle tools" with just a little of the tool boxes showing. When I get a notification it barely makes it to the bottom of the "sand tool boxes". So only one line of notices barely make it onto the screen.
However, when I scroll down to the bottom of the page (which covers most of the first four rows of "earned boost boxes") the notifications float up to a point even with the Version line, almost half-way up the screen.
I just thought I'd let you know about this. I don't know if it's my computer or what.
And, I am getting inconsistent click responses. I just went, checked my number, and clicked 5 times quickly and got one credited click. Then I clicked a bunch more and got 4 or 5 credits for 10 or so clicks.

And on top of unstable clicking, while double checking the problem I ninja'd my newpixbots and blew a 30 no-ninja streak. *sigh*
To the final point, always back up your save before engaging in test-related activities :(
As for the notification cut-off, if I shrink my window down a ton so it's cut off where you say, I have the same problem. I'll need to twerk that so it goes from the bottom of the visible part of the page rather than the bottom of the page. Not quite sure how to do that yet.
As for the clicks problem, I have no idea. I can click rapidfire with no problems. But I can add an options to turn off the floating numbers for you. I have an option called that in my options list but I never use it anywhere :P
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Re: now what have i done?

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:07 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:What reminds me: your README is mustarded. Look at its GitHub page.
You also need a license.

Fixed the README but I'm having trouble finding a license since I can't allow commercial use since I based a lot of the code (general structure and a few algorithms) off [url=view-source:http://orteil.dashnet.org/cookieclicker/]this[/url] which disallows profiting from it.

WRT README: There's still some mustard (list bullets must be followed by a space) but I can fix it myself later.
WRT license: rewrite and refactor. That's the only way. I can try to help you with that if you want.
The GNU Coding Standards (paraphrased) wrote:If you have a vague recollection of the internals of a program, this does not absolutely mean you can’t write an imitation of it, but do try to organize the imitation internally along different lines, because this is likely to make the details of the original version irrelevant and dissimilar to your results.

Oh oh, I'm running out of posts... I have to finish that story.

What kind of person spends two months without realizing their printer is dual-voltage?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Eternal Density

Re: now what have i done?

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:25 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:WRT README: There's still some mustard (list bullets must be followed by a space) but I can fix it myself later.
WRT license: rewrite and refactor. That's the only way. I can try to help you with that if you want.
Nah it took less time to fix that it took to write this sentence.
I'm struggling to think of what I might be able to restructure. The problem is that at its core, it's the same type of game as CC, implemented with the same technology. Also I haven't done a game in Javascript before so I don't know of other ways of doing things. On the other hand, any similarities are fairly superficial. And if I could store save-data in castles instead of in cookies, I'd surely do so :P At least my page structure/layout is entirely different.

Now where was I... oh yeah, making the option to turn off the sand numbers.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:41 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
pelrigg wrote:Hey ED, I just loaded version 0.932 and suddenly it only records something like one click per secondH to one click per second-and-a-halfH. Although I like the floating "plus number" idea, it looks like there's something slowing the system down.

Also, when I have the screen scrolled up to the top, the notifications (like "Game Saved") barely make it on the screen; but if I'm scrolled to the bottom, the notifications make it to the middle of the screen before disappearing.
Notes about this in spoiler:
Spoiler:
Currently I have stuff on the "booster" line. So you know how many lines I have.
When my screen is at the top of the page, the cut-off is at the top of the "Castle tools" with just a little of the tool boxes showing. When I get a notification it barely makes it to the bottom of the "sand tool boxes". So only one line of notices barely make it onto the screen.
However, when I scroll down to the bottom of the page (which covers most of the first four rows of "earned boost boxes") the notifications float up to a point even with the Version line, almost half-way up the screen.
I just thought I'd let you know about this. I don't know if it's my computer or what.
And, I am getting inconsistent click responses. I just went, checked my number, and clicked 5 times quickly and got one credited click. Then I clicked a bunch more and got 4 or 5 credits for 10 or so clicks.

And on top of unstable clicking, while double checking the problem I ninja'd my newpixbots and blew a 30 no-ninja streak. *sigh*
To the final point, always back up your save before engaging in test-related activities :(
As for the notification cut-off, if I shrink my window down a ton so it's cut off where you say, I have the same problem. I'll need to twerk that so it goes from the bottom of the visible part of the page rather than the bottom of the page. Not quite sure how to do that yet.
As for the clicks problem, I have no idea. I can click rapidfire with no problems. But I can add an options to turn off the floating numbers for you. I have an option called that in my options list but I never use it anywhere :P

It looks like I might need that shut-off option. I can't get a consistent run of clicks going. It's really bad when I have the Redundakitty Blitz and I can only get about 10 or so credited. (It doesn't look like that an already available option, is it?

I want to make a full-fledged ketchup post (but not todip). There are some things I wanted to put my two-cents in on.

But let me say Congrats to BlitzGirl for hitting 3000 posts. (And I saw your little tiff with the anti-OTTer over in the 1263 thread. Some people....)

Part of me doesn't want to do this, but a larger part does. azule (and any others), are you willing to do your "what do I look like to the rest of you" post for me? (I usually don't go in for this type of thing, but I am curious.)

P.S. (aka ETA)
ED, I do like how you have to search for the "Redundakitties" as a box, rather than something that pops up in the screen someplace. It makes you work a little harder for them.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:52 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:It looks like I might need that shut-off option. I can't get a consistent run of clicks going. It's really bad when I have the Redundakitty Blitz and I can only get about 10 or so credited. (It doesn't look like that an already available option, is it? P.S. (aka ETA)
ED, I do like how you have to search for the "Redundakitties" as a box, rather than something that pops up in the screen someplace. It makes you work a little harder for them.
I'm glad you like how the Redundakitties hide. I thought that was one of my more clever ideas :D

Here, have an update which should address your problems:

Code: Select all

### 0.934
- option for click numbers
- notifications move better

ETA just noticed Overcompensating is broken because of default values being overwritten by saved zeroes... will write an upgrade thingy...

ETA

### 0.935
- gave overcompensating the proper power value when loading old saves
Last edited by Eternal Density on Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:00 am UTC

Closing photoshop makes my computer breath a sigh of relief, figuratively speaking

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:02 am UTC

And I'm back!! Hello, everyone!

WOnder93 wrote:Quest progress: 1142/1461 pages

Spoiler:
On page 1142, Gedeon wrote:By God! It is! :shock:

(I live in the middle of a map's north edge, if anyone's interested)

:shock: Oh! So the Mediterraneists were right! All the pieces are starting to come together - the sky (11000 years into the future), LaPetite (France nearby)... I can't wait to find out more! (I'll have to <spoiler>wait for it.</spoiler>).

@NoMouse (script)
Spoiler:
NoMouse wrote:I know it will take a long time until you read this but thank you1 for the script. It's really helpful, it happened to me many times with seaish2 posts that I forgot the author.

1 Or should I say "Ďakujem!" ? :D
2 They don't even have to be much seaish with just 768 vertical pixels...

"Nemáš za čo!" :wink: I'm glad it helped! Now that I think of it... I should put the script (and my more recent OTT plaintext scraper) in my sig... Anyway, it's nice to see a bit of Slovak and Czech in the OTT :) Thanks for representing us between the elders of the OTT :D

Oh dear. Another one approaching the Voldeframe. :(

Eternal Density wrote:
azule wrote:Thanks to ED and waveney. Follow up question, can stuff be run from it, like how you're running SB on googledrive?

And hi, Minim!

I don't think it can webhost, but I haven't looked into it yet.

Anyhow I've hit a snag: exporting is broken because the string is too long for javascript alerts :P I'll have to make a new way. Which is good because I can't copy it from the alert box on my phone. ETA yeah it truncates to 2000 chars and my save has reached 2312

Yes, GitHub can serve raw files via raw.github.com - although the MIME types are wrong. To fix that, you can just use rawgithub.com instead. So, in fact, your code is already hosted there; the link would be https://rawgithub.com/eternaldensity/Sandcastle-Builder/master/castle.html
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:04 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
pelrigg wrote:It looks like I might need that shut-off option. I can't get a consistent run of clicks going. It's really bad when I have the Redundakitty Blitz and I can only get about 10 or so credited. (It doesn't look like that an already available option, is it? P.S. (aka ETA)
I'm glad you like how the Redundakitties hide. I thought that was one of my more clever ideas :D

Here, have an update which should address your problems:

### 0.934
- option for click numbers
- notifications move better

ETA just noticed Overcompensating is broken because of default values being overwritten by saved zeroes... will write an upgrade thingy...

Wow! My very own update. Thanks. I let you know how it works in about ten minutesH. The ONG just happened and I want to get my Ninja Stealth up to 2. (I did a second ninja after the one I already mentioned.)

And welcome back to the present taixzo.

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Eternal Density

coolness

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:07 am UTC

taixzo wrote:Yes, GitHub can serve raw files via raw.github.com - although the MIME types are wrong. To fix that, you can just use rawgithub.com instead. So, in fact, your code is already hosted there; the link would be https://rawgithub.com/eternaldensity/Sandcastle-Builder/master/castle.html
Ha, it works!

To save people hunting up for my edit:
Spoiler:
### 0.935

How about I take down the googledrive 'hosted' version (maybe leave it up for a day or so) and make the above link the one to use. Then I can develop in a branch and merge in when I have a new build to go live, rather than copying stuff to googledrive.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:12 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
taixzo wrote:Yes, GitHub can serve raw files via raw.github.com - although the MIME types are wrong. To fix that, you can just use rawgithub.com instead. So, in fact, your code is already hosted there; the link would be https://rawgithub.com/eternaldensity/Sandcastle-Builder/master/castle.html
Ha, it works!

Spoiler:
### 0.935

How about I take down the googledrive 'hosted' version (maybe leave it up for a day or so) and make the above link the one to use. Then I can develop in a branch and merge in when I have a new build to go live, rather than copying stuff to googledrive.

Most of the links in the thread still point to the googledrive version. Unless it costs money to keep, you might want to leave that up with its current version as a reference for Blitzers.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Eternal Density

why are terrible pop songs catchy?

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:19 am UTC

taixzo wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
Ha, it works!

Spoiler:
### 0.935

Most of the links in the thread still point to the googledrive version. Unless it costs money to keep, you might want to leave that up with its current version as a reference for Blitzers.

Actually I could replace it with a page that points back at the 'official' one. And most of the links lately (and in my sig) are to castle.chirpingmustard.com which I'd request be changed to point at github. Assuming that's a good idea.

pelrigg

Re: coolness

Postby pelrigg » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:20 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Ha, it works!

Spoiler:
### 0.935

First: the option for "no sand number notification" does work. I have "no" selected and have rapid-fire clicking back. YEAH!!!

Second: if you do move everything over to this new site, please give us a day (or even two) before shutting the googledrive version down. AND, please remind people on how to transfer their current game to the new site. I, for one, am not sure what the bestest way to do that is.

Thanks again for your hard work on this wingish game. (Does this mean while you're hard at work on this, you're "hardly" working at work?)

ETA
And I just noticed the notifications go all the way to the top no matter where the screen is scrolled to. Many More Thanks!!!!!!

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:32 am UTC

Could you make the googledrive redirect notice page have javascript to allow us to grab saves from there if we forgot to transfer them to github? (Admittedly this is unnecessary with the chirpingmustard.com link.)
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:37 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:First: the option for "no sand number notification" does work. I have "no" selected and have rapid-fire clicking back. YEAH!!!

Second: if you do move everything over to this new site, please give us a day (or even two) before shutting the googledrive version down. AND, please remind people on how to transfer their current game to the new site. I, for one, am not sure what the bestest way to do that is.

Thanks again for your hard work on this wingish game. (Does this mean while you're hard at work on this, you're "hardly" working at work?)

ETA
And I just noticed the notifications go all the way to the top no matter where the screen is scrolled to. Many More Thanks!!!!!!
Glad the click option helped. I guess your computer can't handle moving that much stuff?
If I did shut down the googledrive one I'd give at least a wip of notice so people can transfer. You use the Export option for that. It'll split it into multiple parts because (at least for me) it'll only show 2000 characters at a time (if anyone else finds differently (such as the 1st of 2 parts chopping to be shorter so part is missing, let me know!).
seaish example:
Spoiler:
So the first part may be:

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

and the second:

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

so you just stick them together like:

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
and import them all in one long string and it should work. If it doesn't Let me know!

I'm now working on a separate branch so the version at https://rawgithub.com/eternaldensity/Sa ... astle.html should stay stable.So folks can move across now if they like.
taixzo wrote:Could you make the googledrive redirect notice page have javascript to allow us to grab saves from there if we forgot to transfer them to github? (Admittedly this is unnecessary with the chirpingmustard.com link.)
That's a good point. I guess I'll leave all the game load/save/initialise stuff there for that purpose, and give a link to the new version, but not have a forcible redirect.

I'll get castle.chirpingmustard.com changed over soonish. I think I'll first put a link on the github copy back to https://googledrive.com/host/0BwphmOA1T ... astle.html for anyone who needs to get at their save.

ETA
Actually don't change over yet (well apart to test if it works) cos I'll be doing something slightly different instead...

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:02 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:How about I take down the googledrive 'hosted' version (maybe leave it up for a day or so) and make the above link the one to use. Then I can develop in a branch and merge in when I have a new build to go live, rather than copying stuff to googledrive.

https://rawgithub.com/ wrote:If you hotlink to a rawgithub.com URL on a site that gets lots of traffic, requests will be throttled. If this heavy traffic continues, requests originating from your site will eventually be dropped.

So, um....

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:04 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I'm now working on a separate branch so the version at https://rawgithub.com/eternaldensity/Sa ... astle.html should stay stable.So folks can move across now if they like.
taixzo wrote:Could you make the googledrive redirect notice page have javascript to allow us to grab saves from there if we forgot to transfer them to github? (Admittedly this is unnecessary with the chirpingmustard.com link.)
That's a good point. I guess I'll leave all the game load/save/initialise stuff there for that purpose, and give a link to the new version, but not have a forcible redirect.

I'll get castle.chirpingmustard.com changed over soonish. I think I'll first put a link on the github copy back to https://googledrive.com/host/0BwphmOA1T ... astle.html for anyone who needs to get at their save.

ETA
Actually don't change over yet (well apart to test if it works) cos I'll be doing something slightly different instead...

If I may make a suggestion, a toggley textbox (<textarea> with display=none/display=block) might be a bit more convenient than the current alert format for saves. Or, perhaps, an actual file which can be saved to avoid the clipboard altogether. Though, having not worked with file creation in javascript before, it could get a bit messy if there's no server to serve it up from. Just some thoughts.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:08 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:If I may make a suggestion, a toggley textbox (<textarea> with display=none/display=block) might be a bit more convenient than the current alert format for saves. Or, perhaps, an actual file which can be saved to avoid the clipboard altogether. Though, having not worked with file creation in javascript before, it could get a bit messy if there's no server to serve it up from. Just some thoughts.
Yeah that's the sort of thing I was thinking of.
azule wrote:
https://rawgithub.com/ wrote:If you hotlink to a rawgithub.com URL on a site that gets lots of traffic, requests will be throttled. If this heavy traffic continues, requests originating from your site will eventually be dropped.

So, um....
Yeah I'm not doing it that way :D

Eternal Density

breath

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:49 am UTC

So I updated the googledrive version again (stick with that for now, otters, until I'm sure of otherwise)

### 0.936
- export to textfield
- favicon

Mainly so that when you do change to somewhere else, exporting is much easier.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:03 am UTC

@ED reImage: "Buy it first you silly molpy" Image Image Image (I clicked on the word click three times before I saw the notice.) (I did get the "good" result though.)

Eternal Density

Wait For It

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:05 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:@ED reImage: "Buy it first you silly molpy" Image Image Image (I clicked on the word click three times before I saw the notice.) (I did get the "good" result though.)

The alternative plan was to double the price but I figured this is more fun :D

ChronosDragon

Re: breath

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:16 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:So I updated the googledrive version again (stick with that for now, otters, until I'm sure of otherwise)

### 0.936
- export to textfield
- favicon

Err, that appears to have broken the export. Clicking on it does nothing as far as I can see. Favicon is working though, and quite schnazzy, if I do say so myself :P

But all in good time. Until tomorrow, fellow OTTers. Molpy down!

Eternal Density

Re: breath

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:30 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:So I updated the googledrive version again (stick with that for now, otters, until I'm sure of otherwise)

### 0.936
- export to textfield
- favicon

Err, that appears to have broken the export. Clicking on it does nothing as far as I can see. Favicon is working though, and quite schnazzy, if I do say so myself :P

But all in good time. Until tomorrow, fellow OTTers. Molpy down!

Whoops, GDrive decided not to sync the file for no apparent reason. So the export toggle function was missing. Should be good now.
Happy comaing,
ED

Oh and thanks again for the favicon.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:21 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:Part of me doesn't want to do this, but a larger part does. azule (and any others), are you willing to do your "what do I look like to the rest of you" post for me? (I usually don't go in for this type of thing, but I am curious.)
Seeing as you don't mind the redundancy, I'll get mine in and plea for any others to not be deterred. pelrigg, [name not available], interestingly you have managed to keep your distance even in this connected online age, but not forbidding your participation. I lost my gift about here....so please, someone pick this up for pelrigg. :) Or you like, or I'll continue another time. *yawn*

pelrigg wrote:I saw your little tiff with the anti-OTTer over in the 1263 thread. Some people....
Good job with that, BlitzGirl. You have a megaton of composure. So interesting, checking on that guy's history, nothing would have indicated he'd be xenophobic. So sad. You're not a real culture until someone discriminates against you. ;)

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:30 am UTC

I think GLR is trying to challenge our OTTifying skills with the new othercomic. Unfortunately, my experience with animated gifs is nonexistent or I would make an attempt myself. But I know there are some OTTers gif-ted in the art of animated images based on the number of awesomefully animated avatars. I'll leave it in your capable hands until I de-coma. If it's not been ottified by then, I'll have another new skill to learn thanks to the OTT.

Commence gushing over OTT awesomefulness:
Spoiler:
It truly is amazing how much creativity this tribe has inspired. I'm not normally very artistic, but you all have gotten me to rewrite song lyrics, create parody comics and write (silly) poetry. These are all things I never would have attempted without such a welcoming and appreciative audience. I know I haven't shown much appreciation for others' work in my posts (I'm far too stingy with compliments, especially when they are so richly deserved), but know that I've read and enjoyed everything far beyond my capability to express it.

Truly, thank you all for being the people you are. This is the best place on the internet simply because you are here.

Eternal Density

OTText-ification

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:49 am UTC

Dear website operators:
I want to browse a series of images like this: http://xkcd.mscha.org/viewer/1

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:17 am UTC

Happy 1800 posts, ED!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Eternal Density

stand by

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:30 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:Happy 1800 posts, ED!
Spoiler:
Thanks!

AluisioASG say he'll be redirecting castle.chirpingmustard.com over to http://eternaldensity.github.io/Sandcastle-Builder/ after a coma, so I expect he'll let you know ahead of time.
Don't use the other github link.
The GDrive version at https://googledrive.com/host/0BwphmOA1T ... astle.html which castle.chirpingmustard.com currently points at, will not be updated any further, though there aren't any new updates yet.
I'm currently working on
Spoiler:
Time Travel and Coma Molpy Style.
Neither one has an unlock trigger yet (i.e. nothing to make them appear in the shop), and the links in Time Travel's description are stubbornly not clicking. I thought I fixed that issue with Double or Nothing...

Anyhow that'll be 0.94, but it's not done yet. I'll be preoccupied for a while so I dunno when I'll be finishing it yet.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:39 am UTC

azule wrote:
pelrigg wrote:I saw your little tiff with the anti-OTTer over in the 1263 thread. Some people....
Good job with that, BlitzGirl. You have a megaton of composure. So interesting, checking on that guy's history, nothing would have indicated he'd be xenophobic. So sad. You're not a real culture until someone discriminates against you. ;)

I knew it would be a bad idea but curiosity got the better of me and I had to have a look. Steambottle. I know I shouldn't let one person's stupid opinion get to me, but it's a habit. Whenever I see someone criticise, or worse, insult (like here) something very close to my heart, I can't help but get deeply infuriated and have to do all I can to hold myself back from writing an incredibly long and angry reply... BlitzGirl, that's why I respect you even more for handling it so well and without a hint of anger. Your response was perfect!

Spoilered because venting:
Spoiler:
But steambottle, there's nothing worse than people who like to think they're superior for shitting on people for enjoying something. So we're "idiots" are we, for having an immense amount of fun? "Idiots" because we injected some creativity and fun instead of just sitting around coldly analysing? "Idiots" for creating an incredible community where flames are a thing of myth, where so many feel at home? "Idiots" for having a more inspired and prolific creative output than the rest of the fora combined? And the guy who feels the need to shit all over us when we've done nothing to hurt anyone - he's the clever one? I think someone needs to re-evaluate their definition of intelligence...

When you look at all the positive effects this community has had on it's members - just look at slinches' post a few posts up for example - it makes me even more pissed off to see posts like that, as if all the positive things about this community don't matter at all, just because it doesn't appeal to him personally. Pathetic. Tell me Mister-so-called Antior, what other sub-communities of these fora can boast such things, hmm? Tell me, why are you oh-so-much better for being part of what you call the "normal xkcd public"? Do I perhaps detect a hint of jealousy? Because you'd be very welcome to join us here, once you remove that rather large stick from your posterior.

Anyway, rant over. Sorry but I needed to vent that. Kudos again to BlitzGirl for having more composure and being able to resist such ranting. Indeed your response was spot on. I notice he never replied after that, so I reckon you put him in his place! ;) I propose a new title for BlitzGirl! BlitzGirl the Trollslayer! (Not that he was technically trolling, but "Arrogant-person-with-superiority-complex-slayer" doesn't have quite the same ring to it :P

Congrats ED, you're now in the 1800s! Your posts will now undergo an industrial revolution! Steam powered cake for you!
Spoiler:
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:50 am UTC

Here is an OTTification, made with no original imagery with HTML and CSS only:

http://taixzo.com/1264.html

azule wrote:
pelrigg wrote:Part of me doesn't want to do this, but a larger part does. azule (and any others), are you willing to do your "what do I look like to the rest of you" post for me? (I usually don't go in for this type of thing, but I am curious.)
Seeing as you don't mind the redundancy, I'll get mine in and plea for any others to not be deterred. pelrigg, [name not available], interestingly you have managed to keep your distance even in this connected online age, but not forbidding your participation. I lost my gift about here....so please, someone pick this up for pelrigg. :) Or you like, or I'll continue another time. *yawn*

Pelrigg, you remind me of one of my friends, who is extremely nice and always wants to help out but is too shy to say something, so she stands in the doorway hoping someone will say something first.

Ok, now I am interested: what do I look like to the rest of you?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:43 am UTC

@taixzo - well done with the OTTification of that tricky OtherComic!! Good job with pelrigg. That's probably what I would have said if I hadn't lost my power tonight. :( :)

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:21 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Let's not forget Statistics, we've had lots of that. Sciscitor (I spelled that wrong, didn't I?) and Kieryn would probably be the teachers. And astronomy--hm, maybe Kieryn should teach that. And we did have Linguistics till we lost tresoldi.

You spelled it right lmjb1964, and thank you for the honour! Though I am not so much into statistics as into graph theory (which isn't much either).
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Eternal Density

Singing happy birthday

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:18 am UTC

taixzo wrote:Here is an OTTification, made with no original imagery with HTML and CSS only:

http://taixzo.com/1264.html
Help, it keeps going and going...
ETA about to play telephone pictionary offline with family.

waveney

Postby waveney » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:50 am UTC

@ED Various Castle Builder issues:

The “Double or Nothing” Boost is broken: It is actually impossible to click on the link it is only visible when you hover over the boost, but as soon as you move towards the “Click” it closes. (Running it in Firefox if relevant)

The Erosion Boost is almost worthless – I bought it AFTER I had Rivers. It is very unlikely to ever get triggered. A similar comment applies to the Wipeout Badge

The badges for 100,000 and 1,000,000 clicks are not very realistic - the similar achievments from C*****s is for hand made cookies equivalent to the hand dug sand here.

And on the positive side how about a badge for more Redundakitties than BlitzGirl (203 at current count)?

Eternal Density

Dollhouses don't have an echo

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:15 am UTC

waveney wrote:@ED Various Castle Builder issues:

The “Double or Nothing” Boost is broken: It is actually impossible to click on the link it is only visible when you hover over the boost, but as soon as you move towards the “Click” it closes. (Running it in Firefox if relevant)

The Erosion Boost is almost worthless – I bought it AFTER I had Rivers. It is very unlikely to ever get triggered. A similar comment applies to the Wipeout Badge

The badges for 100,000 and 1,000,000 clicks are not very realistic - the similar achievments from C*****s is for hand made cookies equivalent to the hand dug sand here.

And on the positive side how about a badge for more Redundakitties than BlitzGirl (203 at current count)?
I did a lot of testing and fiddling to get double or nothing to work for me so it's not surprising that it has issues with other browsers. I'm having problems with a similar boost I'm working on plus the hover-to-expand thing can be a bit annoying generally. So I'll find another solution to displaying descriptions which will take care of the links too. Sorry about the inconvenience.

Erosion is very useful if you don't have rivers. If you do, don't get it. Would it be better if it was cheaper so people get it sooner, or do you have any other ideas of how it could be more generally useful?
Yeah I was kinda future-proofing when I added those click badges but it is kinda outrageous. I should change them to amount dug with clicks as you mentioned.
There'll probably be more Redundakitty stuff, and I like your suggestion.

The game of telephone pictionary went pretty well, though with anything outrageously funny.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:18 am UTC

Hi there,
Just lurkposting to announce that Neil B. has been less than forthcoming. He's not dead: he just pretends that so we won't notice that he's busy posting to slashdot.
And how do I know that? Not that I'd ever read /. , no sirree... :oops:
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Eternal Density

Sorry I can't fix DON right now.

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:26 am UTC

Lulz. Also I just got grapevine! Thanks be to the Department!

ETA
Hey what if I made stuff expand /shrink on click rather than mouseover? Then you can expand as many things as you like. And they stay expanded until you want them gone. Assuming that onclicks from a link don't bubble to the enclosing div...

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:50 am UTC

Have y'all seen the number of forum views lately?
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:58 am UTC

So which one of you crazy bastards hit refresh 70 times after I posted that?

Spoiler:
catInTheHat.jpg
catInTheHat.jpg (41.13 KiB) Viewed 11976 times
Picture 55.png
Picture 56.png
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”