1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Re: Descriptions

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:32 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Yeah DNS caching

What kind of DNS cache takes so much time to update a 3-hour lived entry?

What kind of person asks questions instead of writing a story?
(I'm not sure of when I wrote the above)
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:50 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:

An Australian one :( It's still going to GDrive for me :(

In better news,

Code: Select all

### 0.943
- typo: bag->bags
- typo: added missing 'Style' from lyrics
- new boost: kitties galore
- typo: ; being output in notification log
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

waveney

Re: Molpy Sideways

Postby waveney » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:56 am UTC

azule wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:castle.chirpingmustard still points at gdrive for me. Austfailia!
me too. Could be a DNS caching error?

DNS may be cached for up to 72 hours.

On other Beany matters I have an outline now of chapter 2... Image

Favourite Molpy: Difficult - I like Molpies, lots of molpies. Prickly.

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:05 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

An Australian one :( It's still going to GDrive for me :(

It works for me(and has for quite a while). I just typed it into a different tab and it went to the new one not long after everyone else.
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

Eternal Density

It's HERE!!!!

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:31 am UTC

### 0.95
- Ninja forgiveness now uses boost power property so you don't need Hope for Penance to work
- ChronosDragon's epic icons of epicosious treefulosity
Hey ChronosDragon how about an icon for the [REDACTED]? :D
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

mrob27

Messages from mrob27 and Timborme

Postby mrob27 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:43 am UTC

Time-capsule from mrob27 and Timborme, deposited on Newpage 317
Do not open until Newpage 1472

@svenman answered my questions in the OTTercomics page on the OTW (thanks!) and also** I've added more of my images there. My OTT-ifs are linked from the Time Literature page, and also I've also added links for everything to my profile page on the OTW. As Blitzing is my priority, it may lag behind a bit.

As I mentioned before, I've been loving @Eternal Density's CastleClicker not the least because it presents the One True Comic at its original speed, and also there's no way to speed it up. It seems natural that I should get the full experience by running a web-based "DONG" in another tab or window. I want to avoid ninja'ing the NewPixBots, and also the web timer is a perfect way to do that. So I made special DONGs just for playing CastleClicker:

I've thought perhaps using these DONGs might be against the spirit of the game (cheating?) but consider this: Using the DONG to post the new frame (or getting ninja'd by someone else) was a big part of OTC/OTT participation, and also CastleClicker recreates the OTC/OTT experience. Therefore I think it's appropriate to use ONG alarms to make "Waiting For It" even more like the original experience, and also that's totally in the spirit of CastleClicker so it ought to improve my score. So there! :P

Now here's a report from my blitzing companion, @Timborme:

From the blitzjournal of Timborme, Newpage 317

Hello future followers of the One True Comic! I'm blitzing along with mrob27 and also** reading all of this for the first time. This forum just keeps getting more bizarre, and also I love it!

Mrob27 and also I are "lurking" (reading the One True Thread without posting), apparently because of some kind of space-time distortion or temporal warp field or something preventing the forum from seeing us. Or maybe mrob27 is just trying to confuse me, as if the forum isn't confusing enough already.

The One True Comic has been accussed of jumping the shark but nothing could be further from the truth. This while business of a river that "hasn't even reached the sea yet" just means we need to think a little harder. Personally, I think Megan is smart enough to work this out and also we just need to Wait For It.

Nearly anything that can be said is heretical in one way or another, and also I imagine will be even more heretical in the future. Perhaps heresy expands with Time? Though we cannot post to our now-when, sending this chronogram to you may be worse. Nevertheless, I will press on and also appeal to the Knights Temporal for some refuge from Creedish differences.

We found the lovely and also poignant poem "The Time Less Traveled", apparently sent from sometime in our future for BlitzGirl's benefit. It was part of what encouraged mrob27 to start this journey.

BlitzGirl is reporting at fairly regular intervals, sharing the experiences that we had many newpix ago. Hats are being made, titles given and also ceremonies prepared. It all sounds like loads of fun.

Since I cannot make posts in order to assign titles to myself, I naturally can join the paradox orders, since of course I cannot. Without further ado, I haven-been and also willen not have be-conferred upon myself* the titles of:

• Knight Temporal, Cantabrigiensis vicis-minístris
  • Retro-Paradoxical Past Chief of Grains, Grand Lodge FAAS of Newpixia
and also mrob27 has* paradoxically assumed the title of:

• The 27th Old One and also Sudo to the OTA
though I do not know what any of these mean, having invented, defined,& and also clearly understood them.

That wioll-haven been all for now. I will write again in the afterwhen (i.e really your distant aforewhen, boy these things are confusing...) Remember:

The river is small!
The sea is big!

--Timborme

*not
self-consistently
namely, the Knights Temporal, the Sandmasons and also the EasternWestern Paradox church
**Our chapter of Sandmasons has its own rituals and also some of those of other chapters.
&The slightly controversial and also strangely arousing Oxford Comma.

- end transmission -
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

waveney

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby waveney » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:01 am UTC

@ED

Bug: If you select the options page, and then click options again to go back to the normal display , the display ends up trying to do both at once. The only way to clear it is to select stats and then click stats again.

Double or Nothing: Thanks I can now click on it. Minor gripe if you lose you lose really bad as you then have to sell off things to afford the next ONG. Maybe it should leave you with a luckys worth of castles?

In a mature game the Blitzing Kitty is worthless - sand is largely worthless, its castles you need and you get these from Castle tools and not being lucky. (And the furniture sale is usually worth it)

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:03 am UTC

I have an Idea for a RELATED video. I will propably be able to make it this month but first i have to find a working camera.

When I saw the word "beanie" for the first time I hadn't caught up with OTC yet. I did not know what it means, english is not my primary language, and the first frame I saw later was 2039. The molpy looks a bit like a bean so I thought THIS was a beanie.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:11 am UTC

Yay Sandcastle Builder update - thanks, ED. :D Love the icons, ChronosDragon! For some reason the bucket is my favorite.
Most of the icons look treeish in both color schemes, but Cuegan looks kind of ε in the dark theme for some reason - not as "substantial" as the other icons? I take it Cuegan was copy-pasted rather than drawn with the rest of the set.

Glad to see our schizoblitzer (dissoblitzer?) is doing well back among the pastposts.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Re: Messages from mrob27 and Timborme

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:17 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:As I mentioned before, I've been loving @Eternal Density's CastleClicker not the least because it presents the One True Comic at its original speed, and also there's no way to speed it up. It seems natural that I should get the full experience by running a web-based "DONG" in another tab or window. I want to avoid ninja'ing the NewPixBots, and also the web timer is a perfect way to do that. So I made special DONGs just for playing CastleClicker:

I've thought perhaps using these DONGs might be against the spirit of the game (cheating?) but consider this: Using the DONG to post the new frame (or getting ninja'd by someone else) was a big part of OTC/OTT participation, and also CastleClicker recreates the OTC/OTT experience. Therefore I think it's appropriate to use ONG alarms to make "Waiting For It" even more like the original experience, and also that's totally in the spirit of CastleClicker so it ought to improve my score. So there! :P

Actually I've considered (favourably) the possibility of putting sounds into the game. They would be off by default of course.
waveney wrote:@ED

Bug: If you select the options page, and then click options again to go back to the normal display , the display ends up trying to do both at once. The only way to clear it is to select stats and then click stats again.

Double or Nothing: Thanks I can now click on it. Minor gripe if you lose you lose really bad as you then have to sell off things to afford the next ONG. Maybe it should leave you with a luckys worth of castles?

In a mature game the Blitzing Kitty is worthless - sand is largely worthless, its castles you need and you get these from Castle tools and not being lucky. (And the furniture sale is usually worth it)
Thanks for the report. The options issue will be a simple fix. Blitzing is useful for some sand rate and sand dug Badges so don't count it out entirely in the late game.
As for double or nothing, I think the penalty is realistic. Don't gamble!
Though getting waves to 0 destruction may be good insurance.

Anyone got problems they've reported which I haven't fixed yet?

BlitzGirl : thanks. We'll see what CD has to say about the Cuegan... ETA they do seem a bit pixelated, maybe a closer pic would work better. I'm open to other submissions.

intheshax

Postby intheshax » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:40 am UTC

So far back it seems. Like I've returned to permanent lurkerancy. But too much great stuff happening to remain completely quiet. A blindpost to say:

Yappobiscuits: your 1000 posts song is amazing and it has been in my head since I first heard it. I do not have the words...

(From back a bit) I've made a lot of cookies. Just sayin.

Eternal Density: Sandcastle Builder is unbelievable. I haven't been back since shortly after it went online (before the save features), but I'm enjoying reading about the achievements of others, and your posts about the features as they are added. So neat.

Ebonite: FTFY

Redundant:
Spoiler:
OTT Word Search - correcting ovbious oversight of not putting me in it plus some other good names that fit in to make a complete row.png

And now it looks like crossword puzzles are emerging. DO YOU WANT ME NEVER TO KETCHUP?!

ETA: 50!
Last edited by intheshax on Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Eternal Density

HAL-0

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:01 am UTC

Thanks intheshax! There's more to hear about:

### 0.951
- Options visibility toggle had some lines flipped around somehow
- Keep track of number of times time travel is used
- Reset some more stuff on Coma which I forgot to add
- Three new boosts relating to the department and newpixbots
I'm sure there was another little bug I missed but I've forgotten what it was :( Oh well, it'll show up again I'm sure.

Also I just barely remembered to click 2 minutex before I would have lost a decent ninja stealth streak :o
Last edited by Eternal Density on Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:19 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

svenman

Postby svenman » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:08 am UTC

A Future Pilot wrote:I just wanted to point out...I do believe this is now the single longest organic thread in the history of interblag forums. ("Organic in the sense that the point was not to make the longest thread"). If anyone knows of a longer one, please let me know :)

I have in the past at times lurked on and later also contributed to this thread on a French car forum, it is about old cars spotted on the road. The thread was started in May 2005 and keeps growing by several pages a day, as of the writing of this article it has 5267 pages. Like ours, it has evolved its own subculture with its own customs, in-jokes, and specific jargon. And there are other threads on that forum with even more pages. So I don't think the OTT is really unique in the whole internet in that respect.
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

waveney

Re: HAL-0

Postby waveney » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:29 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Thanks intheshax! There's more to hear about:

### 0.951
- Options visibility toggle had some lines flipped around somehow
- Keep track of number of times time travel is used
- Reset some more stuff on Coma which I forgot to add
- Three new boosts relating to the department and newpixbots
I'm sure there was another little bug I missed but I've forgotten what it was :( Oh well, it'll show up again I'm sure.

Also I just barely remembered to click 2 minutex before I would have lost a decent ninja stealth streak :o

Tried the new HAL-O-Kitty:
The decription seems to be missing something "extra 1 per 9 undefined" Errr???

ET Remove something else I now understand

Eternal Density

Undefined

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:42 am UTC

Whoops. Now that's mustard. Didn't look closely enough when testing. Will fix tomorrip. I'm sure you can figure out what it means

ETA um I just refreshed because the white version of the Scaffold wasn't showing up and now it's not working at all. Well the colourscheme button works but nothing else does. Ahhhhh!
Well now the newpix shows up but the shop and info boxes don't. Neither does loot.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:33 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:
SBN wrote:Here's another puzzle, this one using azule's OTColorization.
http://www.proprofs.com/games/jigsaw/colorized-time-frame-puzzle/

And I got a score on this one, so I apparently am really bad at my own slider puzzle, but oh well. I still consider it a win if it is fun, or if you can tell it won't be fun for you before getting frustrated.

Time to Molpy down.

I definitely have been enjoying these.

I don't know what "submitting" the scores does. . .I didn't see anyplace where the scores are posted so I don't know if submitting them means anything. In any case, the puzzles are definitely fun to do!

I don't know either. I'm not really creating puzzles, I'm just plugging a URL into the site and setting a few parameters, but scoring doesn't seem to be among my choices.
mrob27 wrote:
Time-capsule from mrob27 and Timborme, deposited on Newpage 317
Do not open until Newpage 1472

Your updates are great. It's like getting to experience it all again.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Eternal Density

My save is ch*rped

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:41 pm UTC

The game looks fine in another browser. So my save isn't loading right. And I can't debug on my phone...

ETA seems like one of the new boosts broke loading. Probably factory automation.
Last edited by Eternal Density on Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:54 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:48-Down? Not sure which clue you are referring to... :?

As for 43-Across...

It's the Refreshments puzzle.
Spoiler:
43 across: The RECKONING made many OTTers...

I think you're looking for BAD. Could be SAD or MAD, though I don't think that really happened.

48 down: Time is the TRUEST comic... you mean, there are other "true" comics, and this happens to be the truest? Heresy! There is only One True Comic. All other comics are heretical!
Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Eternal Density

whoopsie

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:13 pm UTC

All fixed now. As far as know.

### 0.952
- Fixed 2 typos, one causing weird description, one causing failure to load Factory Automation

Also I found that the buildin browser on my phone can run javascript commands in the addressbar, unlike Opera which I'd been using for my main play. (Which is kinda good since it means I can't cheat on that one.) So now I can also run a testing save on my phone too :D

Also, Molpy Down.

ETA I just (now that my save works) remembered that issue I'd forgotten earlier: not checking if the clock should be visible on load. I'll deal with that tomorrip. Oh and I need a way to display the saved c**kie data so if someone can't load they can send it to me for testing.

ergman

Postby ergman » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

svenman wrote:
A Future Pilot wrote:I just wanted to point out...I do believe this is now the single longest organic thread in the history of interblag forums. ("Organic in the sense that the point was not to make the longest thread"). If anyone knows of a longer one, please let me know :)

I have in the past at times lurked on and later also contributed to this thread on a French car forum, it is about old cars spotted on the road. The thread was started in May 2005 and keeps growing by several pages a day, as of the writing of this article it has 5267 pages. Like ours, it has evolved its own subculture with its own customs, in-jokes, and specific jargon. And there are other threads on that forum with even more pages. So I don't think the OTT is really unique in the whole internet in that respect.

Ah, but have they had flamewars? I think the OTT has the best ratio of niceness per page of any thread ever.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

ergman wrote:
svenman wrote:

Ah, but have they had flamewars? I think the OTT has the best ratio of niceness per page of any thread ever.

Niceness per page, creativity per page, intelligence per page, molpies per page, ...
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:52 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
ergman wrote:
svenman wrote:

Niceness per page, creativity per page, intelligence per page, molpies per page, ...

Cupcakes per page, redundakitties per page ...

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:34 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:@yappo: So I decided to give your "Nyan Cat" recording a try. Very good. Easier on the ears than the original. (I wonder how many people would recognize that if you threw it out at a concert?) But, while I was there, I saw another YouTube of yours: Huuto - Moonsorrow (Acoustic Cover). Let's see if I can find the best way to express this.
ImageImageImageImageImage ImageImage
Yep. Something like that. (And in Finnish on top of every thing else. Wingish and seaish.)

intheshax wrote:Yappobiscuits: your 1000 posts song is amazing and it has been in my head since I first heard it. I do not have the words...

Thanks both of you :mrgreen:
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:42 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:When I saw the word "beanie" for the first time I hadn't caught up with OTC yet. I did not know what it means, english is not my primary language, and the first frame I saw later was 2039. The molpy looks a bit like a bean so I thought THIS was a beanie.
Cute! I love that flying pricklymolp. I totally forgot that squeeish action. :)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

Did ED intentionally throttle down the rate the Castle Builder game accepts clicks? I could get a really good rate before, but now I'm only getting one every couple of mnp?
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:41 pm UTC

SBN wrote:molpies per page, ...
Hehe, I think we win hands down.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:47 pm UTC

:D Thanks for the feedback on the icons, xuys. If it looks like Cuegan were copypasta, that's because they were - I personally don't think it looks too bad but they don't scale particularly well, so I may redraw them slightly thicker-limbed. I'll also draw something for [redacted] and maybe start on some of the boosts, too.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

Icons you say? *goes to look* Oh, TREEISH! :mrgreen:

I'm done with the latest BlitzCrossword... That was a fun one! 2 down and 57 across particularly made me lol :P
Spoiler:
WhosWhoSolved.jpg

Re. C**kies:
Spoiler:
Dammit Orteil, just when I'm so close to getting all achievements and upgrades you go and throw a whole bunch of new things in! Chirp. But these antimatter condensers are treeish, I was able to buy over 50 straight away and my cps shot up to 5 billion!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

MistyCat

Postby MistyCat » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:28 pm UTC

Still Blitzing, and probably going to keep on keeping on.

But. Won't update my sig, won't comment on what I've read.

Not happy. Delicate little flower, me.

Tension, apprehension and dissension have begun. (Riff)

I'm not going to look into the future, but the (past) present is becoming unpleasant to read. It's amazing to me that the mutual respect that has lasted so long in this thread seems to be about to drop back to the usual Internet standard (low) of flames, embers and passive-aggressive coals.

I don't want lo leave, for selfish reasons. I've loved the incredibly high quality of all contributions, and I want more. (More, more,more.)

But.

I HATE flaming, even the mild, passive-aggressive flickers of flames I'm seeing at the now moment. I hate it enough to cut off my nose to spite my face. I LOVE this thread, it's become a home to me over the past month (I lead a sad and lonely life :? ) but the potential up is not worth the apparent potential down.

I'll give it 20 more pages, then if there are no signs of kiss and make up I'm out of here, off to geekwagon to follow the story of Cuegan through my own inadequate unaided efforts as GLR possibly intended.

Not sure (after (bugger heresy, I'm not happy) about 30 eight-hour days of intense dedication and... happiness/bliss/enjoyment/admiration/entertainment) if the going up is worth the slap in the face coming down. There was lots of good going-up, though. Mostly the poetry and songs. The Alt-Text! D-Dactyls, O.M.G! Hey, jjjdavidson -

Hogamous, Higamous,
Man is polygamous.
Higamous, Hogamous,
Woman monagamous.

I really thought someone would have mentioned that classic. Possibly Young Lochinvar. Or Cunning Old Fury. Not dactyls, the inverse... I'm too old. Anapest? Ramble on... Can't remember. Too lazy to Google.

And... Brain fade. I can't believe I can't remember... Yabba dabba... BOOM DE YADDA!! Both songs. Brilliant!

P.S. This is ME and MY problem. Nothing to do with you. Kudos to all the incredibly, amazingly talented people who have made my life better over the last month. And, I suppose GLR as well, but, you know,he's just this guy, you know? It's your reaction to the OTC on the OTT that's been my fun.

P.P.S It's blindingly obvious that because I'm in the past and am carefully not looking in the future that you can do nothing now. Nor should you. The needs of the many outweigh the selfish whining of the candy-assed pussy.

P.P.P.S Don't reply. Anyone. Even if I do continue my Blitz, I've been reading every comment and following every link so far and my OCD means I would continue to do so, and that means I wouldn't get to see any reaction for at least another outsider month (probably longer because I'm just not feeling the love, you know?), and by then I might be sober and probably won't feel like this and won't even remember... um... the thing... ooohh, shiny!
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Beacon Gamma for Time Travelers

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:51 pm UTC

For MistyCat.

Beacon Gamma

Report to the future if you're more than 3 pages behind.

Usual connections, services and restrictions apply.

What kind of person adheres a religion created in an Internet forum?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

FredMSloniker

Postby FredMSloniker » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:12 pm UTC

Is there a way for me to simply download all of the images for offline perusal? I checked the wiki, but the only link that looked likely (the Imgur album) only has about a thousand images in it.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

MistyCat wrote:P.P.P.S Don't reply. Anyone. Even if I do continue my Blitz, I've been reading every comment and following every link so far and my OCD means I would continue to do so, and that means I wouldn't get to see any reaction for at least another outsider month (probably longer because I'm just not feeling the love, you know?), and by then I might be sober and probably won't feel like this and won't even remember... um... the thing... ooohh, shiny!

The power of the signature sends a message instead. It changed itself. *innocent smilie*
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

Re: Castle Builder game

So, I'm thinking about prices. A NewPixBot, for me as of this writing, costs 2,584 castles (I own 17). At 2 castles per NewPix (which is what I seem to be getting), this means it will take 1,292 NewPix to pay for itself. This makes it totally not worth it to buy any more NewPixBots. There may be some boosts that would increase the castles/NewPix that I am not taking into account, but these definitely seem under-powered or over-priced. Looking at the price of all other items in terms of how long it takes to pay for itself, all sand items are vastly overpriced and castle items seem so as well. There are some boosts that increase castle/sand rate when combining items, which might make a difference, but I can't wrap my head around them.

Just some musings. I still enjoy the game, but it makes buying any more items a little hard to justify.

waveney

Postby waveney » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:42 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Re: Castle Builder game

So, I'm thinking about prices. A NewPixBot, for me as of this writing, costs 2,584 castles (I own 17). At 2 castles per NewPix (which is what I seem to be getting), this means it will take 1,292 NewPix to pay for itself. This makes it totally not worth it to buy any more NewPixBots. There may be some boosts that would increase the castles/NewPix that I am not taking into account, but these definitely seem under-powered or over-priced. Looking at the price of all other items in terms of how long it takes to pay for itself, all sand items are vastly overpriced and castle items seem so as well. There are some boosts that increase castle/sand rate when combining items, which might make a difference, but I can't wrap my head around them.

Just some musings. I still enjoy the game, but it makes buying any more items a little hard to justify.

That is true if you don't have anything ese. To optimise your growth work out the number of castles per ONG per thousand castles spent and then buy newPixBots Trebuchets, Scaffold, Wave and Rivers to maximise the gain. Make use of Redunakitties - the sale reduces these prices by 40% the HAL-O-Kitty boost makes newPixBots a lot more effective. I am about to get my 23rd, they are currently (and will for the next 4) the most effective purchase, after which I need a 13th wave and then a 13th River.

Things that boost your castles per ONG are FAR more cost effective than sand boosts, but you do need a good supply for some boosts, I have slowly raised my supply - currently 28k sand/mnp. Most boosts are worth it, but not necessarily as soon as you qualify for them.

kr4

Postby kr4 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:50 pm UTC

Hi everyone,

I'm one of those who found xkcd after the beginning of Time. When I looked at all the xkcd-comics from the beginning, I thought about 1190 "I don't get this one. OK - Next". But then Randall wrote about time in his blog and I went through all the frames on the geekwagon-player. Later I found this forum. I currently made it to read 10% of the post, which means I'm on page 148, so it seems I left the worst part of the MADNESS behind.
I hope to catch up some day.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:Did ED intentionally throttle down the rate the Castle Builder game accepts clicks? I could get a really good rate before, but now I'm only getting one every couple of mnp?

It doesn't look like anyone's answered you on this.

Are you seeing the "Sand per click" numbers that float up as you click the Newpic? When ED applied the update that allowed that to happen I started getting slow clicks.
Check under Options for "Draw + Sand Numbers" and click to select "No". That got back rapid-fire clicking for me (and a couple of others).

---------------

I took a look at NP 712 because I was curious about what "flames" MistyCat was talking about. It turns out xe's in the middle a discussion about "double posting etiquette" that included a few of our more vocal members. And I also saw "Fluffy", who took a little getting used to.
I hope xe will continue reading and see that shortly that particular storm will calm down in just a little bit.

Yes, we've had some tense moments on the OTT. But no real "flame-wars"...
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

So in Sandcastle Builder, what are the mechanics behind the "Riverish" redundakitty boost? I don't want to accidentally waste those hard-earned castles, so it's better to know what I have to do before I go in. Does it reduce the number of castles my Rivers destroy at the next ONG based on how many times I click for sand? I'm not sure.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

More puzzle fun. Better shaped pieces on this site.
http://www.jigsawplanet.com/?rc=play&pid=36beb86fdfd4

Too easy? Too hard?

Some Ways to Time

waveney

Postby waveney » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:So in Sandcastle Builder, what are the mechanics behind the "Riverish" redundakitty boost? I don't want to accidentally waste those hard-earned castles, so it's better to know what I have to do before I go in. Does it reduce the number of castles my Rivers destroy at the next ONG based on how many times I click for sand? I'm not sure.

This reduces the losses for Rivers each ONG, reducing the losses. It starts recording every time you click on the picture from then on. The losses per ONG on a river are then reduced according to the square of the loge of the clicks. Initially this will quickly drop the 160 lost to say 90, it then gets very hard to make much headway. Basically it is worth it but probably not for your first river.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

SBN wrote:More puzzle fun. Better shaped pieces on this site.
http://www.jigsawplanet.com/?rc=play&pid=36beb86fdfd4

Too easy? Too hard?

I just took 6:10 minutes to solve it. I like this site. It lets me build a jigsaw puzzle the way I like to. As in you can fit two or more pieces together and let them "float until you find where they fit in. I think most of my time spent on these on-line games is sorting through the pieces to find the corners and edges. Over-all "Thumbs-up" for finding this site.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”