1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ucim

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:23 pm UTC

@mrob27, aka Timborme

It seems that you have come across one of the fundamental rules of Time - the Uncertainty Principle. As an expert in Quantum Mechanics+ I have found that the shifting of Popeness is a necessary condition for the OTT to function. If the location of Popes and thus the page layout were known to absolute precision, then as a consequence the content of these pages would have to be completely unknown and unknowable, and the thread would vanish. Conversely, if the content were specified unambaguously, then the location of the Popes, and all the NewPages they reign over, would becoome completely delocalized, and the thread would vanish. It was from the chance configuration of content and nonsense that the thread originated, and it is only by a careful balance of these two substances, like yin and yang, that keeps the thread in existence. Popes are the canarpy in the cage, as it were, and indirectly help detect too much content, or an excess of nonsense, via the Pope-Goat force. (This of course cannot be detected directly, so must be inferred).

The Madness caused a great imabalance in the force, but the Pope system was not in place, so the effects went unidentified. However we now know for certain (+/- h-bar) that this is what must have happened. Just to keep things uncertain, there is a certain probability that a Pope is not really a Pope, but a Mome or a Supreme Ruler or an Emperor, or the man with three buttocks. Thsi prevents the system from having simple harmonic variation. No doubt there are other levels of uncertainty in the system, I'm just not sure what they are.

I caution you to refrain from pursuing a past, present, and/or future that are continually consistent, as were that to happen, the uncertainty of content would go to infinity and the thread would... well... I'm not quite sure what would happen, but it would not be good!

lmjb1964 wrote:[footnotes]
LOL

eta: Ironically, this post finds me as Pope of NP1482. I'm not certain what I should decree.

Jose
+This of course means I'm uncertain of everything
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:31 pm UTC

Thank you for that ucim. It does shed light on certain temporal anomalies. And if I was not sure I had a headache before, I am certain I have one now (I think). The Campaign for Real Time will have to utilize the various historical archives available (see wiki) in order to gather whatever nonsense was lost in the past, as there is little else to be done but to make sure lost nonsense is preserved for posterity.

On the war front, I am disappointed to say that the ch*rping micromolpies are currently winning. My head feels very much as I imagine a water balloon feels, just before impact. Missing out on a dip of work is never pleasant either. Not that I particularly enjoy my job at the moment, but i enjoy it even less when I have to ketchup at work. Not quite so entertaining as ketchup on the OTT. In fact, not entertaining at all.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:39 pm UTC

ucim wrote:<snip>
I caution you to refrain from pursuing a past, present, and/or future that are continually consistent, as were that to happen, the uncertainty of content would go to infinity and the thread would... well... I'm not quite sure what would happen, but it would not be good!

<snip>

eta: Ironically, this post finds me as Pope of NP1482. I'm not certain what I should decree.
<snip>

Isn't it obvious? Itallics added by me to help :-D
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:04 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:... the ch*rping micromolpies are currently winning. My head feels very much as I imagine a water balloon feels, just before impact...
Sana te, sana, colita de rana. Si no sana hoy, te sana mañana.

As to decree, making the obvious a decree could be too certain. I'm not sure.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:32 pm UTC

waveney wrote:Image

A timeframe whose fragment is a miniaturized timeframe? You just turned Time into a fractal!

Redundanr
Spoiler:
enhance.PNG
Enhance
enhance.PNG (44.36 KiB) Viewed 18977 times

enhance.GIF
Enhance!

redun2.PNG
redundant (redundant), redundant;
redun2.PNG (43.71 KiB) Viewed 18977 times

Edited to update URL.
Last edited by balthasar_s on Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:39 pm UTC

I am not as busy and involved with the OTT and the Database as I would like to be. Not really outside interfering (this will happen soon too) but building a new PC (for better access to the OTC and OTT of course), which keeps me offline for longer stretches of time.

Alas, here are True Facts About The Ribbit.

PS: And here is a video about an otter. [Warning: Might cause severe cute overload!]
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:31 pm UTC

A note from What-the-Heck-Let's-Do-It Land.
Here are some anagrams. To those who got left out, there are two possiblities. One is that, like Blitzgirl, there just aren't any; the other is simply that I forgot about you, for which I apologize.

Scorn a Horndog
I Spy A Subtopic
Bloke In Need
Lava Ray
Bob Done Kirk
Dental Serenity
A Ox Zit yeah I know it's bad grammar
Pastry Later
Rye Ink
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:36 pm UTC

ergman wrote:OTT in my pants,
rapid fire (in my pants)
ottifications from
    inside my pants.

blitzgirl is giving us
plenty (within our pants)
euphemistically:
    Time in our pants!

YESSSSSSS!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sorry xuys.. as much as some of those PANTifications of the OTC had me cracking up, ergman wins with my most favoritest of poetry forms with his pants double dactyl.

Val is happy in her pants.

ps. i'm still a few nps in the past. i hope it only gets more awesome from here. i must say it's a refreshing ketchup with no mention of castle builders and lots of ottifications.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:42 pm UTC

azule wrote:
The Assumption/
Spoiler:
Spoiler
Song

<snip out naughty stuff>

OdeTiTy of Arrogant Worms - The Assumption Song.

You are a naughty, naughty molpy! :)

BlitzGirl wrote:Bravo, azule! Image

My favorite bit:
azule wrote:Megan looked on astonished
By the size of his
Spoiler:
Head on his shoulders

Hey, how come I don't see that last line in azule's post in my pants? Is that something you added, BlitzGirl?

Eternal Density wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Drat, I still can't get the leopard badge on my phone. I'll have to make another way, akin to how pants mode works.

How do you keep it running on your phone? My phone pauses the javascript when the screen turns off.

I have a more awesomeful phone.

ETA *goes back to reread lmjb1964's post again*
Oh. I see. Well.
Badge Earned: Enough for chess in my pants

Heehee.

Looks like I have the "in my pants" boost on the game at home but not here. Is it a boost, right? Or is it something you turned off in my pants?

Neil_Boekend wrote:As soon as I am back home with wifi I will have (an) Opera in my pants. (hmm. Better not. How will I fit the kettledrums in there? What if something got caught between the drums and the mallet? I better just install it on my phone)

Plus, if it's the opera with the lady with the Viking horns, that could be dangerous. You might start singing soprano.

mscha wrote:Image[/url]

:(

yappobiscuits wrote:Hmm. I wonder why the Swedish is so mustarded... Some kinda Fenno-Swedish dialect? Or just because they're Finnish and don't know Swedish as well... But the (current) vocalist is actually Swedish, you'd think he'd have given some corrections!

Well, there are plenty of songs in English sung by native English speakers that don't use English correctly. Why should the Swedes be any different?

SBN wrote:For HES. Apparently hamplies don't need to travel by hamply ball anymore.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N87uxyDQT0

That's crazy. :shock:

ucim wrote:@mrob27, aka Timborme
Spoiler:
It seems that you have come across one of the fundamental rules of Time - the Uncertainty Principle. As an expert in Quantum Mechanics+ I have found that the shifting of Popeness is a necessary condition for the OTT to function. If the location of Popes and thus the page layout were known to absolute precision, then as a consequence the content of these pages would have to be completely unknown and unknowable, and the thread would vanish. Conversely, if the content were specified unambaguously, then the location of the Popes, and all the NewPages they reign over, would becoome completely delocalized, and the thread would vanish. It was from the chance configuration of content and nonsense that the thread originated, and it is only by a careful balance of these two substances, like yin and yang, that keeps the thread in existence. Popes are the canarpy in the cage, as it were, and indirectly help detect too much content, or an excess of nonsense, via the Pope-Goat force. (This of course cannot be detected directly, so must be inferred).

The Madness caused a great imabalance in the force, but the Pope system was not in place, so the effects went unidentified. However we now know for certain (+/- h-bar) that this is what must have happened. Just to keep things uncertain, there is a certain probability that a Pope is not really a Pope, but a Mome or a Supreme Ruler or an Emperor, or the man with three buttocks. Thsi prevents the system from having simple harmonic variation. No doubt there are other levels of uncertainty in the system, I'm just not sure what they are.

lmjb1964 wrote:[footnotes]
LOL

Jose
+This of course means I'm uncertain of everything

I'm certain that I'm uncertain what you're talking about. But if you do decree something, I'm certain I'll follow it. Probably.

balthasar_s wrote:A timeframe whose fragment is a miniaturized timeframe? You just turned Time into a fractal!

Spoiler:

Whoa. Pardon me while I trip out on this for a while.

Sciscitor wrote:Alas, here are True Facts About The Ribbit.

PS: And here is a video about an otter. [Warning: Might cause severe cute overload!]

Thank you . I will now have nightmares about frogs hatching out of my back.

mikrit wrote:
ggh wrote:Laura Mae - you had me too! Even with your less-subtlizing, I didn't notice until you made another post in my pants.

What? What? I know she is not usually so serious, and I don't understand why she mentions subtility, but...

*Turns on brain*

Oh. I see. Well done.

I'm sorry if I got anyone upset.
Not the first time, for sure.

Maybe next time I'll try something different.
Yes, that's a good idea.

People should know I would never disapprove of silliness.
And I certainly don't care what people on other threads think of us.
Not when we have such an awesomeful bunch of OTTers here!
Try and find a better thread!
See, it's not possible.

OK, time to get to work without pants.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:54 pm UTC

Thanks ucim! And thanks Sciscitor for the otter clip - poor little waterottermolpy must have micromolpies in its nose, too. Hey, I'm an anagram! :mrgreen:

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:56 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Hmm. I wonder why the Swedish is so mustarded... Some kinda Fenno-Swedish dialect? Or just because they're Finnish and don't know Swedish as well... But the (current) vocalist is actually Swedish, you'd think he'd have given some corrections!

There is a minority in Finland ("finlandssvenskar") who have Swedish as their mother tongue. The others Finns are (or used to be?) forced to learn some Swedish in school, but without enthusiasm I think. First, I thought the text writer of Finntroll was a "finlandssvensk", and that the mustardy Swedish lyrics had been put on the Internet inofficially by some fan who didn't know Swedish too well (a Dutchman, most likely...) But now I am not sure. It's a mystery. (It should be "ett svart träd", by the way, since "träd" has the neutrum gender, not the common gender.)

However, these Swedish-speaking Finnish trolls remind of a book I want recommend, since it is RELATED: Moominpappa at Sea, by Tove Jansson, who was a finlandssvensk.

The Pappa feels that he is unnecessary (redundant?) in idyllic Moomin Valley, and makes the family move to a barren island where there is a huge lighthouse but not much else. Through the book, Moominpappa struggles to understand the sea. He has more education than Megan but is not as smart, and the sea is big and does what it wants.
Meanwhile, Moominmamma is homesick, Little My has her own plans, and Moomin himself is approaching puberty (in a manner of speaking).

The location of the Island is no puzzle, as the coordinates are given om the inside cover: a bit south of Helsinki. On the other hand, from the Moominwinter book, one can deduce that Moomin Valley is north of the Arctic circle, so the sailing tour from the Valley to the Island must have been very long. Impressive seamanship - I bet Moomintrolls would survive a Zanclean flood with no problems.
(By the way, I am talking about the novel - Jansson also made a cartoon story with a similar but different plot, also nice but not as great as the novel.)
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:58 pm UTC

That was a treesomeful fractalisation, balthasar!
cellocgw wrote:A note from What-the-Heck-Let's-Do-It Land.
Here are some anagrams. To those who got left out, there are two possiblities. One is that, like Blitzgirl, there just aren't any; the other is simply that I forgot about you, for which I apologize.

Scorn a Horndog
I Spy A Subtopic
Bloke In Need
Lava Ray
Bob Done Kirk
Dental Serenity
Pastry Later
Rye Ink

Spoiler:
Scorn A Horndog = ChronosDragon
I Spy A Subtopic = me!
Bloke In Need = Neil Boekend
Lava Ray = Valarya
Bob Done Kirk = k.bookbinder
Dental Serenity = Eternal Density
A Ox Zit = Taixzo
Pastry Later = StratPlayer
Rye Ink = Kieryn

Sciscitor wrote:PS: And here is a video about an otter. [Warning: Might cause severe cute overload!]

AWW LOOKADDALIKKLEMOLPY.

@mikrit: Thanks for clearing that up! And that Moomin book sounds treeish. RELATED and treeish. I tend to be a bit of a Finnophile (like most people who listen to the sorts of metal I do :P) so I'd probably like it. :)
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:06 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

I forgot to say--feel better, k.bookbinder!

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
cellocgw wrote:A note from What-the-Heck-Let's-Do-It Land.

Scorn a Horndog
I Spy A Subtopic
Bloke In Need
Lava Ray
Bob Done Kirk
Dental Serenity
Pastry Later
Rye Ink

Spoiler:
Scorn A Horndog = ChronosDragon
I Spy A Subtopic = me!
Bloke In Need = Neil Boekend
Lava Ray = Valarya
Bob Done Kirk = k.bookbinder
Dental Serenity = Eternal Density
A Ox Zit = Taixzo
Pastry Later = StratPlayer
Rye Ink = Kieryn

HAH! Treeish. I had no idea what was going on there until yappo solved it. Well done, cellow!

Also, azule... your spoiler songs were chirping wingish. 8-)
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

mrob27

Time-capsule from mrob27, deposited on Newpage 385

Postby mrob27 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

Time-capsule from mrob27, deposited on Newpage 385
Do not open until Newpage 1482

Greetings from Newpage 385. When you read this, I will have been gone for nearly 50 Newpages.

I have finally witnessed the rapid proliferation of hats (courtesy @buffygirl), and the tread is getting a lot more interesting!

There are also more image mods, mainly alterations of individual Time frames, which of course later will be called OTTifications.

Blitzirl continues to appear at intervals, playing songs with her ocarina. I am increasingly certain that BlitzGirl's contributions were a (tipping point or critical mass, not sure which metaphor is right) in the transition of the OTT to a self-sustaining creative melting-pot.

And Haiku! Yes!!! finally! (And nerdily auto-discovered to boot! Yay!)

By now you probaby received some kind of chirpingmustardfriendly letter from the Campaign for Real Time. Recently I began noticing... just a minute, that bloody Nopixbot alarm is flashing again... (goes back to TARDIS console)

Wow, several Timely replies. This is cool.

Chirp, you folks are amazing. Only a few oldpages after submitting my evidence to the sharks good folks at the Campaign for Real Time, BlitzGirl reports the same anomaly:
in my recent aforewhen, BlitzGirl wrote:having the first post of a newpage makes one Pope. Oddly, these posts for me appear a couple of positions behind where they should be - indicating a deletion of pastposts.

... and it was then only another Newpage before @Sciscitor responded to @Angelastic's request "has anyone extracted the full text of this thread?" with the very needle_pulled_thing.txt you just recommended!

Seriously, how do you do that? It's like you travelled in Time to notify your past selves that I needed help with this! I'll have to make another cool animated GIF.

Anyway, this helps, thanks future-past @BlitzGirl and @Sciscitor!

Frankly though, I like @ucim's quantum explanation better. Particularly the part where xe implies that the Campain for Real Time can chirpit. (But you didn't hear me say that.)

Spoilered for seaishness, the more nerdy and scientific details (and sorta-replies to @SBN, @BlitzGirl, @lmjb1964):
Spoiler:
Curiously, BlitzGirl reported an offset of "a few" which I'll take to be about -3 (meaning that the Pope has been slipped back by 3 spots) whereas now the offset is -6 or -7 depending on which Newpage you look at. So I expect now I'll find two "jumps": the first must have occurred in the interval between the (Mrob27-relative) BlitzGirl Time and Real Time (i.e. after NP346 was posted and before Newpage 384) and represents a 3-post deletion by the mods responsible for BlitzGirl's observation; that leaves an offset of -4 which will presumably disappear at some later Newpage (measured in Mrob27 Time). Although right now I'm in a period where there are no page-popes (as the Papacy was disbanded) so I may not have much evidence to pin things down. The Mrob27-relative BlitzGirl is about 42 Newpages back, and perhaps she'll provide more field observations.

I actually did know about the Sciscitor zipfile, thanks for reminding me of it. I figured it was all about the constellations on mscha.org, and as I want to experience Time in its own Time, I figured I'd just Wait For It. I'll need to work a little on reverse-engineering what Sciscitor did to create it: it apppears to have exactly one newline per post, with newlines within the post turned into CR's (control-M), and quotes, sigs, subject/author/date lines deleted. No problem, my parser can generate that easily. But every now and then there's a post where the newlines were not turned into control-M's, so it gets gradually out of alignment even without there being any underlying changes to the tread itself. I'll use the Chronotransponder and ask Sciscitor for a little guidance. The version I got is the last version Sciscitor uploaded to that dropbox URL, which preserves the thread through Newpage 686 and is archived sometime a little later (maybe as late as newpage 717). Maybe xe has newer or older versions too, which would be fun. I love data :)

When I began my project (largely to support this index to the OTT at mrob.com/time, then augmented to help me in my blitzing) I started by downloading the whole thing in both formats (full and printable) with a random delay of 3d7 millinewpix between page loads to prevent smashing the server, then wrote my own XML parser to facilitate formatting and extracting weighted word counts, indenting the quotes and so on. I convert the whole thing to RHTF which requires having complete knowledge of the formatting and tags.

Anyway, for any others wanting to do similar work, I'll point out that in your data files, it's good to tag each post with the unique post ID (such as "p3335002" in the case of the BlitzGirl signpost I just cited). These IDs do not change, but they're only available in the full (not printable) version of the HTML, which requires a bit more sophisticated XML parsing. As I'm sure most are aware, BBcode mustard manifests itself as improperly nested HTML, making the exercise a little more chirping steambottlechallenging and fun. I hope Sciscitor still has the source data for that last version of needle_pulled_thing.zip, that'd make things a little easier.

@lmjb1964, thanks for your concerns. I know the others share the feelings too. Like I said before, cancer(-coffeesemenbabiesonice) is something we live with and embrace and have fun with. And the doctors are sure I won't die of this, it's one of the real-low-risk-easy-to-treat kinds, (as was the cancer I had 20 years ago). So thanks! :) :) :)

More in another Time-Capsule to be opened later. Sometimes I seal several with different opening dates, kinda like Hari Seldon.

The river is small!
The sea is big!

--mrob27

3d7: yes that's right, I roll three 7-sided dice, add it together and delay that many millinewpix. Wouldn't you?

- end transmission -
Last edited by mrob27 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:54 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:@azule - "Assumptions" was HILARIOUS!
Thanks. :)

BlitzGirl wrote:Bravo, azule! Image

My favorite bit:
By the size of his
Spoiler:
Head on his shoulders
Thanks! A favorite bit, I haven't had one of those in a bit. :)

lmjb1964 wrote:
azule wrote:
The Assumption/
Spoiler:
Spoiler
Song

<snip out naughty stuff>

Thanks! But please, next time, don't snip out my naughty stuff...I need those!

lmjb1964 wrote:Hey, how come I don't see that last line in azule's post in my pants? Is that something you added, BlitzGirl?
Because you have a dirty mind and this is what you saw:
By the size of his
Spoiler:
rock

Valarya wrote:Also, azule... your spoiler songs were chirping wingish. 8-)
Thanks. Just one song, though. Sorry if the spoiler confused this.

BTW, sorry for the poor nature of the song. I hoped it would be enjoyable, but I did plan for it to be better executed. The rhythm is way off at times, I realize now. But, you can't write a naughtyish song if you're not sleep-deprived drunk. ;)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:58 pm UTC

Hey, I found a non-metallic Trollhammare. What a catchy tune! I really enjoy it. (Sorry if this is heresy for you, Yappo. My music taste is old-fashioned even compared to other quinquagenarians.)

http://www.google.se/url?sa=t&source=we ... IriEYGYEhw

But no vocals. If I only could find a clip with an a capella singer...
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:04 pm UTC

mikrit wrote:Hey, I found a non-metallic Trollhammare. What a catchy tune! I really enjoy it. (Sorry if this is heresy for you, Yappo. My music taste is old-fashioned even compared to other quinquagenarians.)

http://www.google.se/url?sa=t&source=we ... IriEYGYEhw

But no vocals. If I only could find a clip with an a capella singer...

Oh, lovely! Not heresy at all, I may be metalhead first and foremost but my tastes branch out quite far, and folk is probably my second most-loved genre! Hence why I like folk-metal such as Finntroll so much ;). I think I've seen that before actually. Funnily enough I was considering doing a similar cover of that song myself only with accordion, tin whistle, guitar and some percussion. Here's one I did of another Finntroll song, combining it with a traditional Irish folk song.

svenman

Postby svenman » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:54 pm UTC

Blindposting from NP1475 (my habit of wikifying while blitzing often leads me erratically through the OTT on side quests)

Whizbang wrote:Redundant+:
Spoiler:

Can anyone tell me what the redundapic in the spoiler is based on?
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:58 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:<snippety snip>Blitzirl continues to appear at intervals, playing songs with her ocarina. I am increasingly certain that BlitzGirl's contributions were a (tipping point or critical mass, not sure which metaphor is right) in the transition of the OTT to a self-sustaining creative melting-pot.<snippety snap>
Spoiler:
@lmjb1964, thanks for your concerns. I know the others share the feelings too. Like I said before, cancer(-coffeesemenbabiesonice) is something we live with and embrace and have fun with. And the doctors are sure I won't die of this, it's one of the real-low-risk-easy-to-treat kinds, (as was the cancer I had 20 years ago). So thanks! :) :) :)

Yes, it's not for nothing that someone called BlitzGirl "the heart and soul of the OTT." There were already lots of awesomeful things and people in the OTT when she started posting, and of course we were all Waiting for It together, but everyone pulling together to encourage BlitzGirl really made the community gel. The fact we were all pulling for this person we'd never met just brought out how nice everyone on the OTT was. And of course she's like a meme generator--blitzing, for crying out loud, redundakitties, the punsaw--and she was the official OTT firefighter ("Don't worry, feed squirpies!"). And she's so good at everything she does. It's annoying. :) Lots of wonderful OTTers have done lots of wonderful things, but I think we'd all agree that BlitzGirl has a special place in our hearts.

Glad to hear it about the semencoffeecancerbabby. If you can have fun with it somehow, that's great. I went to one of my chemo sessions in a cotton-candy pink Marie Antoinnette wig. And someday I should show you my Uncle Fester costume...

And now, moving on from that to:

azule wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
azule wrote:
The Assumption/
Spoiler:
Spoiler
Song

<snip out naughty stuff>

Thanks! But please, next time, don't snip out my naughty stuff...I need those!

Oops, sorry--got a little carried away with those thread scissors.

azule wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Hey, how come I don't see that last line in azule's post in my pants? Is that something you added, BlitzGirl?
Because you have a dirty mind and this is what you saw:
By the size of his
Spoiler:
rock

Dirty mind? Moi? Never! I am innocent, and pure as the driven snow in my pants.

azule wrote:BTW, sorry for the poor nature of the song. I hoped it would be enjoyable, but I did plan for it to be better executed. The rhythm is way off at times, I realize now. But, you can't write a naughtyish song if you're not sleep-deprived drunk. ;)

No need to apologize! It was steakish!

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

@svenman: http://xkcd.com/482/
Treeish OTTercomic, mscha! (But sad.)
Awesomeful ENHANCE gif, balthasar_s!
Adorable waterottermolpy video, Sciscitor! D'awww.

cellocgw wrote:Here are some anagrams. To those who got left out, there are two possiblities. One is that, like Blitzgirl, there just aren't any...

Muahaha. I am unanagramable!

It's the first line of the following stanza - the song is a continuous one, and you have to resist the urge to fill in the spoilers with dirty words. :) Edit: Ninja'd!

By the size of his
Spoiler:
rock

Image It really is seaish! Too bad Cueball was the last one to see it.

mrob27 wrote:Curiously, BlitzGirl reported an offset of "a few" which I'll take to be about -3 (meaning that the Pope has been slipped back by 3 spots) whereas now the offset is -6 or -7 depending on which Newpage you look at. So I expect now I'll find two "jumps": the first must have occurred in the interval between the (Mrob27-relative) BlitzGirl Time and Real Time (i.e. after NP346 was posted and before Newpage 384) and represents a 3-post deletion by the mods responsible for BlitzGirl's observation; that leaves an offset of -4 which will presumably disappear at some later Newpage (measured in Mrob27 Time).

Makes sense. I can't remember how far back the popes were bumped, but it certainly seemed like less than seven - three or four, I'd guess.

mrob27 wrote:Blitzirl continues to appear at intervals, playing songs with her ocarina. I am increasingly certain that BlitzGirl's contributions were a (tipping point or critical mass, not sure which metaphor is right) in the transition of the OTT to a self-sustaining creative melting-pot.

That would be wowterful. There's really a seaish amount of creative OTTers that molpied about, making the OTT the creative place it is todip, so I can't take much credit. :)

Preview-edit:
lmjb1964 wrote:
mrob27 wrote:<snippety snip>Blitzirl continues to appear at intervals, playing songs with her ocarina. I am increasingly certain that BlitzGirl's contributions were a (tipping point or critical mass, not sure which metaphor is right) in the transition of the OTT to a self-sustaining creative melting-pot.<snippety snap>
Spoiler:

Yes, it's not for nothing that someone called BlitzGirl "the heart and soul of the OTT." There were already lots of awesomeful things and people in the OTT when she started posting, and of course we were all Waiting for It together, but everyone pulling together to encourage BlitzGirl really made the community gel. The fact we were all pulling for this person we'd never met just brought out how nice everyone on the OTT was. And of course she's like a meme generator--blitzing, for crying out loud, redundakitties, the punsaw--and she was the official OTT firefighter ("Don't worry, feed squirpies!"). And she's so good at everything she does. It's annoying. :) Lots of wonderful OTTers have done lots of wonderful things, but I think we'd all agree that BlitzGirl has a special place in our hearts.

D'AWW. You make me feel so warm and fuzzy in my pants! Image I love all you xuys!
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:06 pm UTC

@balthasar_s, @waveny - Wingish Ottocolaborification!

@Sciscitor - Treeish ribbit (and ottermolpy) stuff!

@cellocgw - clew clog. Yes, it's a word with no pants.

@azule - quite fun! Alas, no OTTish for fun.

@mikrit and @yappobiscuits - Neat folk finds. Yappo - steakish work on your part actually performing it!

Jose

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:18 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:

It's the first line of the following stanza - the song is a continuous one, and you have to resist the urge to fill in the spoilers with dirty words. :) Edit: Ninja'd!

Ooooohhhhhh. I am such a doofus without pants. So it's like the Ms. Lucy song, if anyone knows that. I guess if I had listened to the song I would have figured it out. :roll:

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:41 pm UTC

In response to the uncertain decree of the current pagepope (Does it exist or not? What does it require?) I am uncertain what to say in this post.

However, if you blink quickly enough, it might be certain.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:58 pm UTC

Behind the scenes in the Yappo studio - my brother and I performing a little jazz piano duet. ;)

svenman

Postby svenman » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:@svenman: http://xkcd.com/482/

Treeish, thanks! I found a home for the image on the wiki accordingly.
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:34 pm UTC

Does any WikiWarrior know how to add scripts to a wiki page? I know I may get a "don't do that" answer... :(

lmjb1964 wrote:No need to apologize! It was steakish!
Thanks. There's always room for improvement, but...also room for enjoying things as they are. I gotta work on that. :)

ucim wrote:@azule - quite fun! Alas, no OTTish for fun.
Thanks. Redundafun?

BlitzGirl wrote:It really is seaish! Too bad Cueball was the last one to see it.
Yeah, it's too bad that that shipping ship never did sail.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Eternal Density

Put on a bus

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:38 pm UTC

Hi, I'm posting from a bus. So far the travel arrangements for this business trip are running on Time

About pants mode: briefly it was always on, then for a time it had a 1 in 4 chance of being on every time you loaded, otherwise off.
Now it's off but you can import pants to toggle it if you like.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:48 pm UTC

There are other talented biscuits?

ketchup its hard without real internet. More tomorrow. Molpy down...
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:02 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Behind the scenes in the Yappo studio - my brother and I performing a little jazz piano duet. ;)

MOLPYDORABLE! Those cute little paws! And so talented! Image

azule wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:It really is seaish! Too bad Cueball was the last one to see it.
Yeah, it's too bad that that shipping ship never did sail.
But Cuegan held hands that one Time! Implied sailing! Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:05 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Behind the scenes in the Yappo studio - my brother and I performing a little jazz piano duet. ;)

That is some pretty seaish free form jazz! :D

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:25 am UTC

Blindposting from NP1425, nearly 60 pages back, after roughly 3 weeks away. I've been gone partly because we had an SCA event to put on, partly in an attempt to catch up on work (and coma) I've been neglecting, partly because I didn't feel I had much to contribute other than "Wow! Neat!" ─ and partly, I think, from some sort of delayed PTESD reaction1,3.

So I started back on NP1415, where I left off, and one page later (blithely ignoring warnings from mrob and BlitzGirl) I found myself drowning in cookies, Randammit. Now, with 22 hours in-game, I'm at 557.6MC/s, 820 billion hand-made cookies (in 40K clicks), 23 trillion total cookies, 100+ golden cookies, and I'm trying to resist launching the Grandmapocalypse. And all without cheating, except for a bit of wiki-reading (like about the GMA) and a clue from the OTT about selling a grandma for an achievement.

But while I wait for golden cookies I'm starting to ketchup. In the preview page I see posts from ED, azule, HES, k.bookbinder, BlitzGirl, yappo, svenman, LauraMaeJuneBug, Valarya, and others I know, so the OTT is still alive and kicking. Don't slow down! I'll make it...

1 Post-"T▒▒ E▒▒" Stress Disorder.
3 Like I once said I might, I really did watch about 3 straight seasons of Numb3rs, just for a break.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:55 am UTC

Welcome back, jjjdavidson! It's nice to see you again! :)
Sorry about the c**kies. They're irresistible to many OTTers, it seems. Hopefully you happen upon Sandcastle Builder soon - it's a far more RELATED addiction!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:00 am UTC

Oh hey jjjdavidson! I wondered where you molpied off too! :mrgreen:

But beware the c**kies. BEWAARE.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:05 am UTC

Welcome back jjjdavidson! Yes, indeed, the warning against the c**kies really is more of a temptation than a warning. But that is OK, we have an alternative: Sandcastle Builder!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:09 am UTC

rONG:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:53 am UTC

I have had a hat request from the esteemed Mr. Mrob - after he explained that his current avatar is a stable pattern from a complex Game-Of-Life-Like system oriented to resemble the Hacker logo, the first thing I realized was of course he needed a Red Hat. So, for Mrob27:

(I think I've finally nailed down my color issue. Using the Save For Web dialogue helped!)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:00 am UTC

Very stylish, ChronosDragon! It's nice to have new hats on the OTT. :)

rONG:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:06 am UTC

Mrob27 will look very dashing with his new hat, ChronosDragon. The fractal hats is a particularly nice touch. Well done!

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:08 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:There's really a seaish amount of creative OTTers that molpied about, making the OTT the creative place it is todip, so I can't take much credit.
You are correct about the content, but there's something about the character of the thread that very much owes itself to your influence. And the character helps stimulate the content. So no, you can't not take much credit. :)

I especially enjoyed what appeared to be their vocalizations. About halfway through, I realized that they were eating treats. Adorable!

Jose

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”