1274: Open Letter

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Klear

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby Klear » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

I'm kinda surprised nobody pointed out that most of these are either different names of the same group, or groups manipulated by said group (I mean, how is google not controlled by zionists?)

You can trust me on this one. I know. (I finished playing Deus Ex yesterday)

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Besides, we're all being completely manipulated by a galactically distant species, whose sole goal is the delivery of a replacement part to Titan.

I thought it was a long-running experiment with initial readout on the Moon, and more in-depth sampling on Iapetus

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

Wildcard wrote:I suppose "Walmart" is included to show that any other group MIGHT be in there as a joke—even though no other group IS in as a joke. Edit: Whoops, missed Google and the Lizard People. And probably some others I'm not familiar with enough to know if they're jokes or not. (George Soros?)

As a Scientologist myself for the last nine years, I have to say this strip is mildly offensive. Not severely—since it's not really an insult, just inaccurate. (Come on, Randall. You can do a better job sorting out fact from rumor.) We don't secretly control the government. We DO have a positive influence on the handling of several of the problems in this country (and other countries)—illiteracy and drugs, to name a couple—but there's nothing secret about it. http://www.scientology.org/how-we-help/ ... ction.html Scientology is a religion, not a secret society or whatever, and it's not complimentary to us to be added into this list of non-religious groups.

But I will agree, as an American, that our government's current activity (or lack of it, I guess) is definitely embarrassing.

Its supposed to be inaccurate. Randall has the Vatican in there too if you didn't notice. (and I'm a Catholic so....) Its not supposed to be insulting, its supposed to be just a listing of all conspiracy theorists bundled up together.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:47 pm UTC

YellowYeti wrote:Given the obviously faked moon landings, I'm surprised NASA have been left off the list. The only possible reason could be that they are the ones really behind the global conspiracy, and somehow they are behind xkcd itself - though it's hard to see any connection between the two.

What? No connection? Have you not seen "Up-Goer 5" or read the backstory exposing Phil Plait's involvement in 1190?
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:50 pm UTC

On behalf of the hedgehog people I apologize for this shoddy work on our conspiracy. You have a right to expect better and to demand a decently hidden government. Personally I blame the lizard people for thwarting our secret agenda. Normal conspiracy will be resumed as soon as possible.
This topic desperately needs a post from Summer Glau.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This is nøt å signåture.™

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:50 pm UTC

I didn't know what HAARP (High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program) was, so I'd first I thought it was some branch of the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP). It's actually fairly accurate to say they control the US government, but they're not really very secretive about it. Unless you count making your plans/ methods sound boring as a type of obfuscation, then they are the best at it.

I think I may start some AARP conspiracy theories.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:57 pm UTC

Klear wrote:(I finished playing Deus Ex yesterday)

Doesn't "Majestic-12" regularly showing up in the list of users browsing the forum bother you?

(Or have you missed the best game in the series, the first one?)

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:03 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:
Wildcard wrote:Scientology is a religion, not a secret society or whatever, and it's not complimentary to us to be added into this list of non-religious groups.

Its supposed to be inaccurate. Randall has the Vatican in there too if you didn't notice. (and I'm a Catholic so....) Its not supposed to be insulting, its supposed to be just a listing of all conspiracy theorists bundled up together.

There's a similar list, taking up the better part of a page if memory serves, in Foucault's Pendulum. Just be thankful Randall edited it down for the comic so you're not lumped in with the Mormons.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:21 pm UTC

YellowYeti wrote:Given the obviously faked moon landings, I'm surprised NASA have been left off the list. The only possible reason could be that they are the ones really behind the global conspiracy, and somehow they are behind xkcd itself - though it's hard to see any connection between the two.

Because openly admitting to working for NASA is too obvious to be the real connection, or what?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

I'm sure you'll find one. I have faith in you.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

anvocjfj

Postby anvocjfj » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

Strangely, this is almost exactly the mood in China for many people. It's not so important to them how the government works as long as they benefit from it.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:27 pm UTC

Kit. wrote:

Doesn't "Majestic-12" regularly showing up in the list of users browsing the forum bother you?

Too bad they never made any sequels.

Ok, so HR wasn't bad

EpicanicusStrikes
Random Boners = True Attraction

Postby EpicanicusStrikes » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:36 pm UTC

Really? All those groups and no love for the various churches of the OTC?

Perhaps Randall is just being modest. Or secretive...

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:16 pm UTC

Xenomortis wrote:
Kit. wrote:

Too bad they never made any sequels.

Ok, so HR wasn't bad

HR is OK, although it lacks the subtlety of the original, which makes it quite boring.

The sequel (IV) was a disaster.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

I hadn't heard of Bohemian Grove, and read it as "Bohemian Groove". I think I saw them play on Later with Jools Holland. Or was it Jazz Club on The Fast Show?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

ned3000

Postby ned3000 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

He forgot Colonel Sanders!!

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:51 pm UTC

ned3000 wrote:He forgot Colonel Sanders!!

Yuck - did you hear the news story today about the analysis of "white meat" in chicken nuggets? Ewwwwwww.....
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

EpicanicusStrikes
Random Boners = True Attraction

Postby EpicanicusStrikes » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:45 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:

Yuck - did you hear the news story today about the analysis of "white meat" in chicken nuggets? Ewwwwwww.....

Oh, shush. The Reuters Health article that seems to have people upset? Poorly written and not even that astonishing. We've known for, what, ten years now that McNuggets have tertiary butylhydroquinone. If you're cool with silly putty being in chicken, you can't freak out at a little skin fat and some nerve endings. The author doesn't even discuss which two chains were analyzed.

Unless there's something else that's been discovered. Like depleted uranium and UFO exhaust. I might be behind in the news.

alexvoda

Postby alexvoda » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:49 pm UTC

No, No, No Randal!
All of those are wrong and you already know who you should be addressing that letter to, or have you forgotten?
Here, I will remind you.
comic no. 898

Cervisiae Amatorem

Postby Cervisiae Amatorem » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

What makes you think this isn't exactly how we want it?

dp2

Postby dp2 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

Where's the Shadow Government when you need it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI6Qdoq679I

CharlieBing

Postby CharlieBing » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:25 pm UTC

YttriumOx wrote:
Wildcard wrote:
(on a side note, I do think you're bat-shit crazy for being a scientologist, but that's actually beside the point here)

Thanks for saying that! I was just working on something similar, but I wasn't coming up with bat-shit crazy, which is just perfect. 'Nuf said.

vali1005

Postby vali1005 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:33 pm UTC

By the way, it's "Bilderberg", not "Bilderburg", unless the misspelling was intentional...

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:41 pm UTC

vali1005 wrote:By the way, it's "Bilderberg", not "Bilderburg"
That's what they *want* you to think.

cellocgw wrote:
What? Do you mean there are chicken parts that your privileged upbringing trained you to think of as inedible?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Coyoty

Postby Coyoty » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
orthogon wrote:Apart from, perhaps, Walmart, every group in the list does have its CT adherents.

Sure, blame Connecticut now. No, seriously, blame Connecticut... It's all connected-- er, Connecticut...

MrMeltJr

Postby MrMeltJr » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

I thought Pen15 was behind everything...

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:42 pm UTC

EpicanicusStrikes wrote:Really? All those groups and no love for the various churches of the OTC?

Perhaps Randall is just being modest. Or secretive...

Well, the various churches of the OTC already have their sh*t together, so there's no need for the open letter to include them. :wink:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Coyoty

Postby Coyoty » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:42 pm UTC

Everything is going according to my lack of plan.

cryptoengineer

Postby cryptoengineer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:55 pm UTC

As a Freemason of 25 years standing (Past Master (Blue Lodge), Past High Priest (Chapter), 32nd Degree (Scottish Rite)), I found this strip a hoot.

So do most Masons (I guess was have a better sense of humor that the Scientologists). Today, on the Masonic forums, this strip is being passed
around as evidence that we don't control things; we wouldn't mess it up that badly.

pt

Dark_T_Zeratul

Postby Dark_T_Zeratul » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:36 pm UTC

cryptoengineer wrote:As a Freemason of 25 years standing (Past Master (Blue Lodge), Past High Priest (Chapter), 32nd Degree (Scottish Rite)), I found this strip a hoot.

So do most Masons (I guess was have a better sense of humor that the Scientologists). Today, on the Masonic forums, this strip is being passed
around as evidence that we don't control things; we wouldn't mess it up that badly.
At the very least, you'd know how to pass a budget; I can't remember how many times I had to do that in DeMolay.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:36 pm UTC

cryptoengineer wrote:as evidence that we don't control things; we wouldn't mess it up that badly.

Have you tried?

CharlieBing

Postby CharlieBing » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:04 pm UTC

cryptoengineer wrote:As a Freemason of 25 years standing (Past Master (Blue Lodge), Past High Priest (Chapter), 32nd Degree (Scottish Rite)), I found this strip a hoot.
pt

The wonderful thing about cryptoengineer's post is that non-masons such as myself cannot tell whether the post is a joke or not. It could easily be pure mumbo-jumbo. The funny thing is - if we can believe WIkipedia - that his post seems to be genuine. So congrats on your sense of humour: all things considered, it is quite remarkable!

cryptoengineer

Postby cryptoengineer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:05 pm UTC

Kit. wrote:
cryptoengineer wrote:as evidence that we don't control things; we wouldn't mess it up that badly.

Have you tried?

That would be telling :P

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:11 pm UTC

Quicksilver wrote:Raptor Jesus will lie in wait while the rest screw it up. Then He will bring about the velocirapture.

Do we even need to continue the thread after such epic word coinage?

sellyme

Postby sellyme » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:24 pm UTC

Kit. wrote:

Just in case you didn't know, that's probably my bad:

It's basically a distributed search engine. I'm somewhat surprised that Randall has it added to the list of phpBB bots.
Sellyme is a je- Wait no.

OfficialJab

Postby OfficialJab » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:43 pm UTC

The LaLiLuLeLo should be included on that list, though it's understandable if knowledge of them hasn't reached you.

gimmespamnow

Postby gimmespamnow » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:10 pm UTC

I suppose "Walmart" is included to show that any other group MIGHT be in there as a joke—even though no other group IS in as a joke. Edit: Whoops, missed Google and the Lizard People

Walmart has been very strong implicated in bribing the Mexican government with the full knowledge of their CEO, (and is being investigated in the US for that right now.) If that doesn't count as controlling a government, what does? Likewise, Halliburton's former CEO was VP for 8 years during the Iraq war, and they made something like $40B from US government contracts in Iraq. While there isn't any evidence that Halliburton told the US government, "hey, start a war so we can make money," it also isn't hard to imagine that the people that Cheney hung out with during his time off that might have been more pro-invasion than say, my friends.

The ones that are actual jokes are things like HAARP: they probably aren't controlling the government since they are controlled by the government. If HAARP could be used for mind control or whatever the conspiracy of the day is, the shut down would prevent it from working...

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:48 pm UTC

gimmespamnow wrote:If HAARP could be used for mind control or whatever the conspiracy of the day is, the shut down would prevent it from working...
That's just what They want you and the other gullible sheeple to think.

They make sure it's what you think by using HAARP to control the weather, which controls the location of chemtrails, which is where They put Their mind-control drugs.
---

(he/him/his)

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:49 pm UTC

sellyme wrote:
Kit. wrote:

It's basically a distributed search engine.

I know. But I still wonder if it has any utility. Other than... well, you know :roll:

project2051

Postby project2051 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:58 am UTC

pt

So you are a FreeMason, that's great I have a bunch of brick work that needs to be done. And up till now I couldn't afford to get it done... but a free mason sounds like just the tickit.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”