1333: First Date

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Envelope Generator

1333: First Date

Postby Envelope Generator » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:15 am UTC

Alt-text: "I sympathize with the TPP protagonist because I, too, have progressed through a surprising number of stages of life despite spending entire days stuck against simple obstacles."

TPP, of course stands for... uh...?
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

glasnt

Re: 1333: First Date

Postby glasnt » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:18 am UTC

Twitch Plays Pokemon

It even has a wikipedia page now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitch_Plays_Pok%C3%A9mon

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:21 am UTC

Stream Link.

Summary: Plays Pokemon through viewers. Inputs commands through chat. Results in many pointless and detrimental actions. Selects the Helix Fossil frequently (see: spiral in comic). Reveres it in chat.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:36 am UTC

Speaking of dates, this may be the one XKCD strip that dates itself the fastest. Twitch Plays Pokemon isn't likely to be looked back on as some kind of cultural landmark or anything, and he didn't even bother to write out its full name. (I hate it when people do that. Just assume that everything is so well known that everyone in the world can identify it by its initials. I kind of thought Randall was smarter than that.)
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:46 am UTC

Yay I know about this because a co-worker linked me to an article about it the other dip! Er, I mean day.

Anyhow, it's a pretty funny comic. Also for the first few frames I thought it must be River Tam. Yes.

Now that I think about it, this is similar to an idea I had for a story: someone decides to make choices based upon the output of a quantum random number generator (sorta a D20 roll app hooked up to the output of a schrodinger's cat box) but it turned out that the lab guys were overriding it...
Last edited by Eternal Density on Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:48 am UTC

PRAISE BE TO THE HELIX.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:01 am UTC

I am annoyed as hell by this damn thing spilling out all over the internet, but it is kind of fascinating to watch the pseudoreligion building up around it, and comparing it to the OTT.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Dopefish

Postby Dopefish » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:02 am UTC

This phenomenon has reached xkcd?

Man, my brother first casually referenced it earlier this week and I hadn't heard of it, and now pretty much every part of the internet I frequent has talked about it. I still have yet to actually watch the actual thing, but from what's been described it seems like a small miracle that they even managed to get a starter pokemon.

sonicspin

Postby sonicspin » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:03 am UTC

Dopefish wrote:This phenomenon has reached xkcd?

Man, my brother first casually referenced it earlier this week and I hadn't heard of it, and now pretty much every part of the internet I frequent has talked about it. I still have yet to actually watch the actual thing, but from what's been described it seems like a small miracle that they even managed to get a starter pokemon.

it's like this but with less absolute randomness

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:20 am UTC

I haven't actually watched it myself either.
tpp.png
I'm not.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:29 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I am annoyed as hell by this damn thing spilling out all over the internet, but it is kind of fascinating to watch the pseudoreligion building up around it, and comparing it to the OTT.

Let's see, we're just over a week into TPP. At the equivalent point in the OTT, this was happening:

KarMann wrote:
Elmach wrote:
Helper wrote:be ïc an thing?

EDIT: Nope :cry:FULL STOP How woll ic continue to live now?

Don't worry, we all reckon eow should be an thing.
Either eöw or NoEdge should be pöpe.
Ï nominate Helper and NoEdge as co-pöpes.

New idea for Popes where n > 1: Up Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer, Down Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer, Strange Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer, Charm Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer, Bottom Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer, Top Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer. Note that the last two in particular be not intended to indicate ænig difference in rank.

...yep, pretty similar.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

sonicspin

Postby sonicspin » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:30 am UTC

and this resumes perfectly the chat, art by moi grandoise

ETA:yep, it's pretty similar to time, it even ahs a false prophet!
Attachments
HELL.png

Khrushy

Postby Khrushy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:36 am UTC

I'm obviously hanging out in the wrong corners of the internet, because I had no idea what this was about till I got here.
Madness takes its toll, please have exact change.

ShadedKnight

Postby ShadedKnight » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:46 am UTC

Well, they didn't keep their starter for long anyway, so I guess that sort of confirms it? Also, for those aware of Pokemon Red and don't really care to watch the stream, here's a well updated progress meter: https://sites.google.com/site/twitchplayspokemonstatus/
and some cool stats on it: http://sanqui.rustedlogic.net/etc/tpp/ (for button presses, most used words, etc.) My personal favorite stat being the 7th most used word. ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

I personally think the Anarchy/Democracy debate to be an interesting thing. Anarchy is ham-fisted, but gets things done quickly and Democracy is precise, but only if the chat knows what it's doing.
Last edited by ShadedKnight on Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:11 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

sonicspin

Postby sonicspin » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:51 am UTC

Khrushy wrote:I'm obviously hanging out in the wrong corners of the internet, because I had no idea what this was about till I got here.

twitch is a very closed culture, the special about this that it has spawned a culture separate from it's progenitor that has reached outside by memetization
it's not a very interesting thing in itself, the interesting thing is about the culture, as sarcastic it is
things like false prophet Eevee, stones,Jay Leno, a charizard named Abby (full name ABBBBBBYYYY)
it has spawned a culture in days
where in the internet normally it takes months, even years

Why do I feel like addams now?

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:57 am UTC

sonicspin wrote:it has spawned a culture in days

Depends where in the internet you are.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:25 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:I am annoyed as hell by this damn thing spilling out all over the internet, but it is kind of fascinating to watch the pseudoreligion building up around it, and comparing it to the OTT.

Let's see, we're just over a week into TPP. At the equivalent point in the OTT, this was happening:

KarMann wrote:
Elmach wrote:
Helper wrote:be ïc an thing?

EDIT: Nope :cry:FULL STOP How woll ic continue to live now?

Don't worry, we all reckon eow should be an thing.
Either eöw or NoEdge should be pöpe.
Ï nominate Helper and NoEdge as co-pöpes.

New idea for Popes where n > 1: Up Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer, Down Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer, Strange Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer, Charm Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer, Bottom Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer, Top Vatican Milliner's Perfect Customer. Note that the last two in particular be not intended to indicate ænig difference in rank.

...yep, pretty similar.

And TPP is making things like this to represent their religious hierarchy:
Not that I've been following close enough (or know anything about Pokemon) to understand much of anything in that image (I think Ra is a "Helix Fossil" and one of the uppermost figures is "Bird Jesus"? But that's about all I've picked up), but it's impressive.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:41 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:And TPP is making things like this to represent their religious hierarchy:
(Image)
Not that I've been following close enough (or know anything about Pokemon) to understand much of anything in that image (I think Ra is a "Helix Fossil" and one of the uppermost figures is "Bird Jesus"? But that's about all I've picked up), but it's impressive.

Knows bits and pieces. Notes Charmeleon (starter Pokemon) and Rattata below Omanyte (the Pokemon from a Helix Fossil). Shows Pidgeot (the bird) with, presumably, a Helix Fossil. Displays four of eight gym badges (game progression). Looks like Farfetch’d, Rattata, and Oddish (team members) below that. Ends with destroyed Moon Stones, Nuggets, and Flareon. Represents losses/failures.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

ShadedKnight

Postby ShadedKnight » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:44 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
snip

From top to bottom, left to right in that picture: Omanyte(helix reborn), Abby(Charmeleon), Jay Leno(Rattata), X(Zubat), Possibly C3KO?(Hitmonlee), Red touching Helix Fossil with Bird Jesus(Pidgeot), 8 badges (only 4 obtained), Box with Dash Bat(Zubat), The Keeper(Drowsy), Rick Gastly, Dux(Farfetch'd), Digrat(Raticate), Cabbage(Gloom), not sure about all of the symbols on the bottom but what I do recognize symbolises 3 Moon Stones, 4 Nuggets, Dome Fossil and the False Prophet(Flareon)

Edit: Darn, ninja'd

KarenRei

Postby KarenRei » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:56 am UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:Speaking of dates, this may be the one XKCD strip that dates itself the fastest. Twitch Plays Pokemon isn't likely to be looked back on as some kind of cultural landmark or anything, and he didn't even bother to write out its full name. (I hate it when people do that. Just assume that everything is so well known that everyone in the world can identify it by its initials. I kind of thought Randall was smarter than that.)

Hmm, let's see... "By 20 February, the stream had reached a total of over 19 million views overall, peaking at 120,000 concurrent viewers, and an estimated 658,000 users having participated." - so it's in a geek/gaming field, has a very significant number of users, and involves a social experiment playing out online. How is this not up Randall's alley?

And I say this as someone who had no clue what he was talking about.

(but yes, I think just using the acronym "TPP" was too much... you have to give the people who don't know what you're talking about some bread crumbs. Most searches for TPP come up with the Trans-Pacific Partnership)

keithl

Postby keithl » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:59 am UTC

Possibly by the end of Friday Feb 21, and probably by the following Friday, there will be Youtube videos of somone acting out commands from chat messages sent by people all over the internet, as shown by this cartoon. Mostly hilarious, sometimes obscene, hopefully not violent.

If a realtime webcast was associated with a rapid series of realtime auctions to choose the next command, I bet the actors and producers could earn a lot of money.

PayasYouDraw

Postby PayasYouDraw » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:34 am UTC

Oh I get it.

When I read it I assumed it was another one of those comics about obscure programming languages (which I assume a similarly small number of people understand).
Ah-ooooh! Rolling back the rivers in Time!

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:37 am UTC

Definitely needed explainxkcd.com for this one. Not sure it helped much, but then I'm still not entirely sure I know what a Pokemon is.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:02 am UTC

Haha, I hadn't of this before. Excellent.

How on earth do they make a community/religion out of this, like naming things, the chat moves so quickly!

Edit: Wait, I see the links to all the other chats and subreddits around this on the google doc. Interesting.
Last edited by Kazza3 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:22 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

sotanaht

Postby sotanaht » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:08 am UTC

ShadedKnight wrote:

Well, they didn't keep their starter for long anyway, so I guess that sort of confirms it? Also, for those aware of Pokemon Red and don't really care to watch the stream, here's a well updated progress meter: https://sites.google.com/site/twitchplayspokemonstatus/
and some cool stats on it: http://sanqui.rustedlogic.net/etc/tpp/ (for button presses, most used words, etc.) My personal favorite stat being the 7th most used word. ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

I personally think the Anarchy/Democracy debate to be an interesting thing. Anarchy is ham-fisted, but gets things done quickly and Democracy is precise, but only if the chat knows what it's doing.

Most of what I've heard of that debate is more to the point that "Democracy" goes against the spirit of what made the thing popular in the first place and essentially turns the game into a slow let's play. It would be more interesting to find out if it were possible to eventually win with "Anarchy" before the interest dies out.

Anyway I was curious about the specific legality of "TPP". I know the stream has adds, probably making its owner a fairly large amount of money which in turn paints a pretty large target. He's also using a modified rom/emulator for the game, so there are potential legal issues just with that. I figure it's probably semi-protected, nebulous enough that Nintendo could force him to take it down at any time even if they couldn't get anything to stick in court. I think they would have to be pretty stupid to do that, but being stupid exactly what big video game corporations are known for these days

Lewton

Postby Lewton » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:21 am UTC

Could anyone who knows pokemon compare how well RNG plays Pokemon is faring compared to TPP?

http://www.twitch.tv/rngplayspokemon

StClair

Postby StClair » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:17 am UTC

Thank you for explaining this. Now I can go back to not caring.

Icalasari

Postby Icalasari » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:54 am UTC

Lewton wrote:Could anyone who knows pokemon compare how well RNG plays Pokemon is faring compared to TPP?

http://www.twitch.tv/rngplayspokemon

Not as well

Morgan Wick

Postby Morgan Wick » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:18 am UTC

What amazes me is that something like this could get this big in just over a week.

So basically, it's what would happen if MSPA never abandoned the suggestion box?

Patrik3

Postby Patrik3 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:34 pm UTC

I read this comic right after closing a tab where I was watching the stream. Somehow I didn't get the joke until the punchline but I was laughing for ages afterwards. Although yes, I agree that as soon as people lose interest in TPP (or... if they actually finish the game..!) this comic will just be confusing.

It would be hilarious though to have a Twitch Plays Real Life... I dunno how it would work, seeing as humans probably can't interpret 50 000 inputs as fast as a bot can. I guess TPRL would have to be permanently democracy mode.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:36 pm UTC

Envelope Generator wrote:

The TPP Project. All other interpretations are just pretendin'
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:38 pm UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:Speaking of dates, this may be the one XKCD strip that dates itself the fastest. Twitch Plays Pokemon isn't likely to be looked back on as some kind of cultural landmark or anything, and he didn't even bother to write out its full name. (I hate it when people do that. Just assume that everything is so well known that everyone in the world can identify it by its initials. I kind of thought Randall was smarter than that.)

He is. And you aren't.

The rest of us are smart enough to go off and goog an unfamiliar reference. Heck, for some of us, that's one of the great things about xkcd: we get introduced to all sorts of stuff (useful or not :) ) that we'd never heard of before.
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com

snowyowl

Postby snowyowl » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:06 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Envelope Generator wrote:

The TPP Project. All other interpretations are just pretendin'

No, you're thinking of TTP. It's an easy mistake to make.
The preceding comment is an automated response.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:16 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:

He is. And you aren't.

The rest of us are smart enough to go off and goog an unfamiliar reference. Heck, for some of us, that's one of the great things about xkcd: we get introduced to all sorts of stuff (useful or not :) ) that we'd never heard of before.
Or, like myself, we know to check explainxkcd or come and read this thread to understand what's going on before whining that we didn't get it and that's somehow Randall's fault.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

nlitchfield

Postby nlitchfield » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:17 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:The rest of us are smart enough to go off and goog an unfamiliar reference. Heck, for some of us, that's one of the great things about xkcd: we get introduced to all sorts of stuff (useful or not :) ) that we'd never heard of before.

I did search for TPP using Google. Not in the first hundred hits. Certainly if I were to claim that performing a specific search was something a smart person would do, I'd at least check that performing the search returned the expected results first. (and then I'd probably post a maybe helpful link)

nlitchfield

Postby nlitchfield » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:20 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
sonicspin wrote:it has spawned a culture in days

Depends where in the internet you are.

Indeed.

All your base are belong to us.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:24 pm UTC

nlitchfield wrote:
cellocgw wrote:The rest of us are smart enough to go off and goog an unfamiliar reference. Heck, for some of us, that's one of the great things about xkcd: we get introduced to all sorts of stuff (useful or not :) ) that we'd never heard of before.

I did search for TPP using Google. Not in the first hundred hits. Certainly if I were to claim that performing a specific search was something a smart person would do, I'd at least check that performing the search returned the expected results first. (and then I'd probably post a maybe helpful link)

Well, this reminds me of one of my all-time favorite Marvel Comics pages. Captain America, circa 1968 (+/- 3 years). He's in costume, but some bad guy has managed to grab his shield, and says to CA, "you have no chance against me: I have your shield." CA lays him out in a couple panels, retrieves his shield, and says "There's 'having the shield,' and then there's 'knowing how to use it.' " It didn't occur to you to Google "TPP Twitch" ? I mean, really now.
Former OTTer

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:33 pm UTC

Envelope Generator wrote:TPP, of course stands for... uh...?

The TTP Project.

Oh wait, no. TPP stands for The PTP Project, and PTP stands for Pokémon TPP Project.

Whew!
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:17 pm UTC

glasnt wrote:Twitch Plays Pokemon

It even has a wikipedia page now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitch_Plays_Pok%C3%A9mon

I was keeping up with it via Reddit's /r/gaming but it was severely messing with my ease of mind, so I stopped. It's a great example of why committee decisions are usually such a bad idea.

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:19 pm UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:PRAISE BE TO THE HELIX.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”