1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

HES

1780:1780

Postby HES » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:21 am UTC

I am not going to be able to keep this up...
He/Him/His Image

yappobiscuits

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:26 am UTC

Bahaha, what were the chances :P
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Eternal Density

Not bad.

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:29 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Bahaha, what were the chances :P

1 in 40.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:37 am UTC

Well those are the chances of becoming pope, but I meant if he'd posted again on the previous page the second post-page equilibrium wouldn't have happened.

Eternal Density

(apart from only posting once per page)

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:43 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Well those are the chances of becoming pope, but I meant if he'd posted again on the previous page the second post-page equilibrium wouldn't have happened.

Oh, right, that, yeah. He just has to post once per page forever and all will be well.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

HES

Fun while it lasted

Postby HES » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:47 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Bahaha, what were the chances :P

Quite high when you're counting :wink:
He/Him/His Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:48 am UTC

Ohh I just didn't expect you to try and do it deliberately :P

But you've ended your streak now replying to me, silly molpy.

HES

Postby HES » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:57 am UTC

It would never have lasted, I don't have that much restraint. While my overall post rate is (just over) 1, more recently it's been more like 5-10... not because I'm posting more, but because the basement is filling up.
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Epilogue mustard

Postby mscha » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:34 am UTC

[Blindpost]

Something funny is going on with the epilogue!
After some investigation:
The three servers that take care of the redirect of time.png to the current epilogue frame (c.xkcd.com == 107.6.97.99, 107.6.97.101, 107.6.97.102) were having trouble once again, often timing out.
On top of that, it looks like the time on 107.6.97.99 is running slightly behind. That means, that if the check at ONG:00 takes place at 107.6.97.99 and is successful, it returns the previous frame. If it takes place at one of the other two servers, the problem does not occur.
I have taken 107.6.97.99 out of rotation in my checker script. (And I'll probably just edit the previous results to pretend this never happened...)
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

macraw83

Blitz Progress: 1216/1780, np3032.

Postby macraw83 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:49 am UTC

AAAAAAAAH LAPETITE!!!!!!!!!

Oh my Randall it seems like everything is happening so quickly in the OTC (but very slowly in the OTT because everybody started posting) and it seems like Time is on the verge of ending and I don't know whether to be excited or terrified

While I work my way through that dilemma, here are a couple PastPost responses:

42 guests wrote:So I made an attempt at a miniature salt castle...
Spoiler:
First I needed some salt:

I used 4 oz.

Adding 1 tbsp. of water gives good castle building consistency to this quantity of granular salt. The salt stung along my cuticles, and it clung to my hands. While it worked, was not as pleasant as working with moist sand.

Adding 2 tbsp. of water gives good slushy consistency to this quantity of granular salt.

Now, what becomes of sand in the hyper-saline environment that Cugan live in? We need sand:

I warmed the hyper-saline solution to maximize the dissolved salt in the water, and added the sand.

I microwaved in short bursts to simulate what would happen as the hyper-saline solution dissolved from the sandcastle structure.

First a crust of salt appeared on the surface.

Then a solid brick formed, with the precipitating salt acting as a binding agent. It was fairly hard, and quite warm.

It was structurally superior to damp sand, but still crumbled if enough force was applied to it. It would not pass building codes, but would make a solid sandcastle structure as it dried.

This behaviour is consistent with the crumbleable but unusually straight walls of the sandcastles at the beginning of the OTC.
From this I will conclude that it is reasonable to build a castle out of salt or sand in the hyper-saline environment of Cugan's beach, assuming that the salt is granular, and not solid halite binding the sand.
This... this is just one example of why I love this thread. Writers, musicians, scientists... you guys come up with all these awesome ideas, and I get to see it.

BlitzGirl wrote:
I'm back!
Spoiler:
Hello again, everybody! ImageNice to see most of y'all are still here, though perhaps scattered through Time a bit. Au revoir and best of luck to Aluisio, who hopefully will lurk in here occasionally. I look forward to seeing mscha again tomorrip, as well. I have some specific pastpost responses to get to, but I'll save those for now. Seems the OTT had a touch of the Madness after I left, but I've grown used to that. Image

HES wrote:Blitzgirl, see what happens when you leave us?
fhorn wrote:I think BlitzGirl might have had some soothing words to smooth over our ruffled feathers, were she here.

ImageI'll do my best! (Feel free to skip my seaish ramblings about the OTT if desired.)

Okay, let's start with the basics. The OTT is a crazy place even during the best of Times, but those of us who are regulars are used to a certain level of crazy (call it the known Sea level, for fun). During the Journey Eon the steady traveling pace of the One True Comic made us accustomed to calm. We had more Time to do some giffing, ottify songs and poems, make Time fanart and ENHANCES (both real and fake), hide redundakitties, and come up with newwords at our leisure.

Minor events in the OTC make things a bit rougher on the Thread of Time. Significant molpy sightings, for example (think the pokeymolp and the Death of Flutterbee), lead more of the regular posters to comment, and the OTT moves a little faster. Encountering the Beanies might be grouped under this category. The speculations and songs we serve up in idle Times are often secondary thoughts, and posts about the newest little blip of excitement are front and center. In the Journey Eon, when Cuegan settled down to travelling once more, these little events would often inspire even more of the fun fare OTTers like to exhibit.

Then we have the major events of the One True Comic, which make the base crazy-level of the OTT rise quite rapidly (think The Fading and the Raptorcat Attack). These climactic events cause not just the regulars to want to comment more than usual, but cause newbies and lurkers to spring out of the webwork (Hi, newbies and lurkers!) and join the fun. The Sea of posting gets ever more seaish: ninjas left and right, newposts bumping popes and hurling out of the mod queue left and right! These Times are very rough on blitzers, who find themselves further behind than expected with no idea why, and even regulars who find their usual ketchup is five times as seaish as usual. Rosetta's hairdo ex machina moment is one of these...and the level has not settled. It is still rising, and tension on the OTT stays high, and newcomers keep popping in, and newpages keep counting up...

What I'm trying to say is, our crazy level is currently higher than ever before, leaving many of the regulars of the Journey Eon adrift, frantically swimming, barely managing to tread water, or even submerged under the drama. It's pretty brutal. These are the Times when we lose friendly OTTers who can't keep up, or who are stymied by ketchup. In the struggle to keep apace with the Madness, more of our leisure activities are lost: TimeWaiters stranded amid the pastposts will not be as inclined to contribute, and the burden is left to those in the Present, who may be busy tending to newcomers and their questions.

Though things may be crazy in the One True Thread right now, know this: You are not alone. The beauty of this needle-pulled thing is that it has made us a community. We have become a People who share the experience of Cuegan's travels through Time. If we feel down, there are always other OTTers to help us molpy up again. Even if at this moment you feel alone and overwhelmed, it is best to follow the First Commandment and Wait for it. A blitzer might come along and recognize something wowterful in one of your pastposts; a particularly charming ottification might be posted that uplifts your spirits. Perhaps you need to lurk for a while to regain your confidence in the One True Comic. That's okay. Time may Wait on no one, but you can be sure that there is an OTTer or a newpixbot somewhere collecting each frame of it for you to see somedip.

As for me, I'm just going to ride the crazywave for as long as I can, perhaps until the end of Time...or even beyond that.
After all, the future's pretty cool! Race you there!
Aaaaand... when everything falls apart with BlitzGirl gone for the wipend, she comes back and makes everything better!
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

Eternal Density

Hair pulling

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:59 am UTC

I have two things to say, one prompted directly by macraw83's post, and the other by the quoted BlitzGirl post.
1. Gentlemolps, prepare your cake and ice-cream!
2. Why did Rosetta need a hairdo ex machina? Was her hair caught in a machine? Ouch!

HES

Re: Blitz Progress: 1216/1780, np3032.

Postby HES » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:03 am UTC

macraw83 wrote:Oh my Randall it seems like everything is happening so quickly in the OTC (but very slowly in the OTT because everybody started posting)

Curious, in real-time it was fast in the OTC and really fast in the OTT.
He/Him/His Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:28 am UTC

macraw83 wrote:
42 guests wrote:So I made an attempt at a miniature salt castle...
Spoiler:
First I needed some salt:

As if the castle-building wasn't RELATED enough, the salt semencoffeecancerbaconbabiesonice is called "Molpon"! :mrgreen:

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0643

Postby mscha » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:30 am UTC

BOBSLEDDONGS...
Spoiler:
-- posted by newpixbot

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:35 am UTC

Actually NPB, those look more like croquet wickets. Is someone playing a giant game of croquet on this island?

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:39 am UTC

And why is one of them censored?

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:49 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:As for the spork, the joke was that I said it was "bred for sterility". Heh.
Oh, I thought you said "bread for sterility" and that it was a new form of birth control. Although I think I'd prefer that to using a spork for birth control.

SBN wrote: Anyone need any cookies marketed?
Ask the hotdog vendor. We all know cookies come from hotdogs.

balthacolor wrote:(does it make me an rgbalthasar?)
Is your bot ready to catch all the variants of that one?

eta now that I've seen it - HES - that was ch*irping Baobabish!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:11 am UTC

macraw83 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Au revoir and best of luck to Aluisio, who hopefully will lurk in here occasionally.

:shock: I'm not sure I want to remember the context of this.

ucim wrote:Is your bot ready to catch all the variants of that one?

I believe balthablood mentioned looking for balt. So yes, assuming he's stripping the HTML tags.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:13 am UTC

I love how the epilogue sequence consistently finds ways to be exciting. I especially love that it brings mscha back to us. Stay till the OTTscars Mscha! And everyone else reading this! A full year, c'mon!
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:28 am UTC

ergman wrote:I love how the epilogue sequence consistently finds ways to be exciting. I especially love that it brings mscha back to us. Stay till the OTTscars Mscha! And everyone else reading this! A full year, c'mon!

ergman told us to stay a full year, I guess we all have to cancel our plans to mysteriously disappear within the next 20 days. Such a shame, I was looking forward to starting my new identity without all you weirdos.

Just kidding you guys are awesome

HES

Postby HES » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:32 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:ergman told us to stay a full year, I guess we all have to cancel our plans to mysteriously disappear within the next 20 days.

Well, I suppose I could delay my world domination plans for a couple of wips. You know, for you xuys.
He/Him/His Image

AluisioASG

BTW that hat would've been useful that day.

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:42 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Such a shame, I was looking forward to starting my new identity without all you weirdos.

Tried that a couple times, didn't work.
Selecting new quote…

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:43 am UTC

HES wrote:Well, I suppose I could delay my world domination plans for a couple of wips. You know, for you xuys.

I for one welcome our new hamply overlord.
Spoiler:

HES

Postby HES » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:47 am UTC

I have got to get me one of those jewelled thwapsticks!

Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:HES, that is ch*rping awesomeful. Image
ergman wrote:Wow HES. That was awesome in exactly the way I love.
ucim wrote:HES - that was ch*irping Baobabish!
yappobiscuits wrote:BAOBABS that is ridiculously wowterful and treeish.
AluisioASG wrote:That's seaish, HES.
Eternal Density wrote:Steakish work HES!
taixzo wrote:HES, that is amazing!!!

...Now we just need a "Click and drag" container for it. :P

Thanks xuys! I feel like I'm cheating though, It was just stitching together a load of stuff I already made, most of which was just twerking GLR's handiwork.
As for Click and Dragging it, despite being the original inspiration it's completely beyond me.

AluisioASG wrote:I believe balthablood mentioned looking for balt.

So talking about a certain brand of micro extrusion or the city of Baltimore would throw up false positives?
He/Him/His Image

Eternal Density

Well.

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:09 am UTC

HES wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:I believe balthablood mentioned looking for balt.

So talking about a certain brand of micro extrusion or the city of Baltimore would throw up false positives?

What's a micro extrusion?
*googles*
Oh, it's the process performed by a microextruder. Okay.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:13 am UTC

Presumably there's some form of micro extrusion that has "balt" in its name...
HES wrote:Thanks xuys! I feel like I'm cheating though, It was just stitching together a load of stuff I already made, most of which was just twerking GLR's handiwork.
As for Click and Dragging it, despite being the original inspiration it's completely beyond me.

Eh, most OTTercomics are just replacing the text on existing comics anyway. It's not the level of work or technique that makes a good one, it's the idea behind it. And even having said that, the level of work here is still pretty high, stitching all that stuff together probably took more time than it would to just replace some text. But yeah it's the idea that makes it so awesomeful.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:18 am UTC

HES wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:ergman told us to stay a full year, I guess we all have to cancel our plans to mysteriously disappear within the next 20 days.

Well, I suppose I could delay my world domination plans for a couple of wips. You know, for you xuys.

Step 1: Release a series of images, once per hour.
Step 2: Wait for people to become obsessed and worship them.
Step 3: ...
Step 4: World domination!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

HES

Exclamation mark mandatory

Postby HES » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:21 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Presumably there's some form of micro extrusion that has "balt" in its name...

Sorry, I meant to link when I said that. I didn't meant to imply that it was a well known brand that everymolpy knows...

taixzo wrote:Step 1: Release a series of images, once per hour.
Step 2: Wait for people to become obsessed and worship them.
Step 4: World domination!

I'm sure Profit! fits in there somewhere.
Last edited by HES on Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:21 am UTC

Step 2: Wait for it.
Step 4: RUN.

FTFY. Well, my way is less heretical but isn't helpful for world domination... hmm...

Eternal Density

Running the whole world.

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:30 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Step 2: Wait for it.
Step 4: RUN.

FTFY. Well, my way is less heretical but isn't helpful for world domination... hmm...

It depends on who's doing the running, or on what meaning of 'run' you use.
yappobiscuits wrote:Eh, most OTTercomics are just replacing the text on existing comics anyway.
Which is another reason I'm proud to have OTTified a comic before its existence :P

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:36 am UTC

Somedays I wonder whether I have time to Time, somedays I wish I had time and wit to make creative contributions, somedays I can't even remember whether baobish or awesomeful is the best response for things that are steakish, but when so many wowterful things are shared -- like HES's onepostperpage and all the other purpose written/drawn creations, large and small, intelligible and mystifying ... and even and especially just OTTers being OTTers in pretty much every post --

I'm glad I'm here.

yappobiscuits

Re: Running the whole world.

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:39 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:It depends on who's doing the running, or on what meaning of 'run' you use.

Oh of course. It makes perfect sense then! That's what GLR was REALLY trying to do with Time.
Eternal Density wrote:Which is another reason I'm proud to have OTTified a comic before its existence :P

Indeed, that was truly ground-breaking OTTifying!

macraw83

Blitz Progress: 1234/1780, np3058.

Postby macraw83 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:52 am UTC

They're on a boat! And they found another boat with (presumably) the other 20!

Monomolpy:
Spoiler:
yappobiscuits wrote:Something that may never have been done before!? Are they going to come up with...
A NEW adjective for liking things that is not "Neat"!?
BlitzGirl wrote:<snip> I want a Monopoly: OTC edition!

Good job you're not molpying down JUST yet, because I just finished this...

OMR, this is pretty awesome! If this is (or ever will be) a thing, I definitely want a copy. And obviously if we do ever have an OTT-meetup, we'll have to play a condensed version.

Anyway, time to molpy down:
Redundant:
Spoiler:
10319401776_46e4f2ff8a_z[1].jpg
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

HES

Running from the vitssagen

Postby HES » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:58 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Indeed, that was truly ground-breaking OTTifying!

He/Him/His Image

AluisioASG

For the Cativator

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:07 am UTC

In the unlikely case I get the next page's papacy, I'll request truckloads of ice cream and fox-shaped icecookies.
Selecting new quote…

Eternal Density

Re: For the Cativator

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:08 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:In the unlikely case I get the next page's papacy, I'll request truckloads of ice cream and fox-shaped icecookies.

What's an icec**kie??

HES

Postby HES » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:11 am UTC

And what's a Cativator?
He/Him/His Image

yappobiscuits

Re: Blitz Progress: 1234/1780, np3058.

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:37 am UTC

Image Good one, HES.
macraw83 wrote:OMR, this is pretty awesome! If this is (or ever will be) a thing, I definitely want a copy. And obviously if we do ever have an OTT-meetup, we'll have to play a condensed version.

Ahh, macraw, you do keep bringing up treeish things that never got finished. As the last page proved, we're all really bad at fini

HES

Re: Blitz Progress: 1234/1780, np3058.

Postby HES » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:40 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:we're all really bad at fini

This was going to be the decree but, well, you know.
He/Him/His Image

ChronosDragon

Re: Time: "1190"

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:46 am UTC

Say, who was it that created the fancy gifs with melty transition for a bunch of OTTers? I may or may not be needing to contact them in the near future, to add something to someone's avatar, hypothetically.

ETA Also I'm totally yappocising my sleep schedule in order to post something in the comments on a comic (Nimona) that appears at midnight. If anyone was wondering why I was up :P
Last edited by ChronosDragon on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”