1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

HES

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:09 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:how about we make it midnip Pacific Time - I think that's as far west as OTTers go.

Are we accounting for 11,000 yips of continental drift?

AGAIN? Raptormustard. I guess I'll have to decree this time...

What subterranean molpies may cuegan encounter?

And someone make me an unHappy Hamply counterpart to BlitzGirl's Mopey Mome Please
Last edited by HES on Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:37 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
He/Him/His Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:15 am UTC

macraw83 wrote:More than 10 years after she beat it the first time, mom was re-diagnosed in the fall. And to add to the general complexity of cancer, this was apparently a completely different type of cancer cells, and it wasn't "cancer cells that slipped past the treatment" the first time. Luckily, it was caught at about the same stage as last time, and with the advances in treatment over that span there is a good chance of another full recovery.
I hope your mom has the same molpish result she had ten yips ago. We're all going to be taken by something, but let's hope it's not just yet. There's still so much more Time!

(Does she know about Time?)

HES wrote:I like how the tree root goes between the blocks. It's definitely the remains of man made somthing.
Yes... I wonder if it's part of the man-made something that closed Gibraltar. They are (probably) in the wrong place for it to be the dam itself, but maybe something RELATED?

yappobiscuits wrote:... but I'm thinking of extending it to Randix (Monday), since folks tend not to be around much on the wipend.
I'm in favor, and glad to see you extended until Whifdix midnight (where? RST? GMT?)
yappobiscuits wrote:So how about we make it midnip Pacific Time - I think that's as far west as OTTers go.
As Roseanne Rosannadanna used to say.... "Never mind!"

Still stuck with Outside stuff... opening the next play. But hopefully I'll have more Time soon (until the next play.) :)

(yanno, these graphical smilies make me have to close my parenthesis instead of just letting them do double duty. :/

... and Kieryn - I'm [sorry TheMinim]!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:17 am UTC

SBN wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Hmm, I think I will do. I gave myself 3 dips to count the votes and prepare the round 2 opening post, but that's more than enough time, it won't take that long. So yeah. Deadline extended to Midnip on Whifdix instead.

Midnip according to which clock? (For those that might not care, or might care and have forgotten, most of the US will be springing forward this wipend.)

...We are? I didn't know that. :oops:
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

HES

Postby HES » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:28 am UTC

Is [sorry TheMinim] the new [ spoiler ]?
He/Him/His Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:50 am UTC

HES wrote:Is [sorry TheMinim] the new [ spoiler ]?
The empty one anyway. :)

eta: VDB

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:27 am UTC

For our mopey hamply pope, I give you a Frankenstein monstersmiley: Image
(It is cobbled together from existing smileys.)
(Others may make more original smileys.)

Redundant:
Spoiler:

HamplyPope.png
HamplyPope.png (20.32 KiB) Viewed 12897 times

Keywords: Hamply HES Pope papal mopey decree BGUM smiley icon emoticon
redundant218.png
redundant218.png (107.1 KiB) Viewed 12897 times
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0667

Postby mscha » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:30 am UTC

STONONGTON...
Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!
-- posted by newpixbot

HES

Postby HES » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:37 am UTC

Frankensmileys are molpishly appropriate. As you know, Frankenstein was regularly burdened with unintended papacy.

At least that's how I remember it

Speaking of papacy, I hope they don't find one of these:
Spoiler:

Though one could well be responsible for destroying the berm...
He/Him/His Image

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:49 am UTC

HES wrote:As you know, Frankenstein was regularly burdened with unintended papacy.

Hmm, in which OTTscar category can I vote for this sentence?
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:50 am UTC

Hmm yep, that seems right. :D

ENHANCEment of latest SilentONG...
(That stick figure is very immobile.)

Redundant:
Spoiler:

ENHANCE of t1i-0667.png

Keywords: ENHANCE enhancement BGUM silentONG mystery ONG gray blue
redundant219.png
redundant219.png (119.08 KiB) Viewed 12875 times
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

estbay TOway otequay

Postby HES » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:05 am UTC

I don't think it's a person. At least, not anymore.
He/Him/His Image

ergman

Postby ergman » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:24 am UTC

Seems to me like a very dead or dying beanie, especially since the latest enhance. With a bag. And man at the level of detail in these silenttimONGs. No wonder xe doesn't post much.

Edit: trying to see if my ottification has been done before. Is there a way to 'control f' on safari on an iPhone?
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

HES

Postby HES » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:55 am UTC

ergman wrote:Edit: trying to see if my ottification has been done before. Is there a way to 'control f' on safari on an iPhone?

Option 1) Buy an android -> Install Firefox -> Menu -> find in page Sorry, I don't know apple
Option 2) Do it anyway. Redundancy is molpish!
Aluisio, who can't come to the thread right now but please leave a message after the beep wrote:Option 3)
  1. Buy a Firefox OS phone
  2. ???
  3. Find in page

*beep*
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:17 am UTC

You can also try "Search the topic" at the top of every newpage, that should work on mobile.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:59 am UTC

Oh shoot, still need to vote! I'll make some time for it tomorrow or sundip. Tomorrow I've got a big science fair thing that I have to attend - my project was a flop, and even though the write-up is good I'm hoping I don't win anything because I want to be rid of it forever.

Spent most of this evening reading a very interesting free online book about typography and text design. I'm beginning to appreciate the value of properly and artfully formatted text, and just how bad most of the internet is at this. I might give a PHPBB redesign a go, at some point - if so, I'll keep y'alls posted.

Until then, I have to molpy down. No rest for the weary - have to get up at Early O' Clock tomorrow mornip. Molpy down!

Spoiler:
What, were you expecting some kind of redundant molpy of some kind? I'm tired, lemme coma!

HES

Postby HES » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:16 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:
What, were you expecting some kind of redundant molpy of some kind? I'm tired, lemme coma!

Here you go
Spoiler:

And now I shall do the same
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:20 am UTC

And here you go, HES.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:09 am UTC

WHATTHEEPSILONG

balthasar_s wrote:Somewhere in the past I told about this dream
balthasar_s wrote:[...] They also asked me to repair my post because I somehow pasted the PNG into the subject text field and the subject of the post contained the bytes of that PNG, random characters several screens high. [...]
And that's what just happened! kind of. Someone put the content of a JPG into the URL field of the 403ficator.HOW?
I think I know how this happened. Google image search puts image data inside the image link instead of the url in the minatures. Why do you do this, Google?
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

yappobiscuits

Re: Time After Time: t1i-0666

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:14 am UTC

Nicely predicted, taixzo!
taixzo wrote:Next frame prediction:

Megan wrote:Weird.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

taixzo

Re: Time After Time: t1i-0666

Postby taixzo » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:17 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Nicely predicted, taixzo!
taixzo wrote:Next frame prediction:

Called it!!

And now I must molpy down. See you all tomorrip!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

azule
Saved

Re: 1190: "Zanclean Zodiac"; ᔪ--

Postby azule » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:29 am UTC

« Frame 10: NP1777:13 | » Frame 12: NP1792:1

The Zanclean Zodiac

A valley has begun to form in the wake of the departing river. By pollinating, ᖽᓭᒣᕋ, sometimes joined lovingly at the tip, helps beautify the land as they float over the ground. The valley would soon become unmatched in its beauty.

LurkReplies:

Congrats on 1500 Waiting Ln., I listen to that song way too much so it was easy to read. ^_^

ggh, thanks for being (one of our) resident epilogue cracker(s).

JFOM, lovely (over my head) WI. But I did love the kicker ending. hehe!
Oh, it says here you're Russian. So the J might refer to calendar change that occured late there, then becoming an M. Maybe? (I should have 'pedia'd' that before blathering.)

SilentTimer just delurked and all I have to say is: Who the ch*rp are you?! A lurker is making our TAT ONGs? Woah. *head rush*

It's cool that you're getting help with the HD, ED. At least it appears that way according to your logs.

Maybe Bad Hair Man's join date has something to do with the different avatar filename scheme (along with not changing it since then), b[ao]l?t[th]\w+_s

Minim, your madspace is brillious. I love how you have title text too! I'd comment there...but I'm here. OTT for life, son! *the references police knock down my door* Oh dear. I didn't know I couldn't say that. *arrested* *jail* *Time*

That mrob27 guessing game was quite a distraction. mrob, or other non-schizobliters, willing to play more out of context games? hehehe. kidding.

balthasar_s wrote:Is it a coincidence that I started the blitz on my name day (6 january)
What is that? Something Polish?

january1may wrote:At NP139, azule is clearly trying to blitz. His "location" seems to translate to NP28/np177, which isn't possible (realistically, I suspect it's a typo for NP103).
A typo? Me? Never Always. :oops: Yep, it looks like it should be that page (though I don't have an original memory of it being triggered when I visit), especially how it would be post 4080. Apparently 4=1. :(

mrob27 wrote:
How Time Was Saved
Wow. Great origin story. I could say more but I think that's called gushing. Gushing sounds messy. But I was thinking how great it would be to collect all these stories and some of the songs and poems and arrange them in a chronological order. Most of the stories do not conflict with each other (even though their perspectives are usually so unique), as I recall. Well, I mean, like a book. I know there was that Book of Time project that didn't get far, but a Story of Time might be better and we could send that to GLR when we have it fleshed out enough. :)

OrbitalFacePalm9001 wrote:I'm starting my own OTTfic! It's called XKCD Infinity!
Spoiler:
Here's chapter 1:

Chapter 1: TheDiamondMinecart

TDM: I'm going to the moon. Watch the lab for me!

Grim: *nods*

*one rocket trip later*

TDM: I found some cheese!

Trayarus(via webcam): Okay.

TDM: Have my weapons been fixed yet?

Trayarus: No.

*one trip back later*

*mscha pops out*

mscha: TheDiamondMinecart, we need your epicness in the OTT!

TDM: What's the OTT?

mscha: *facepalm*

TDM: I'll go with you, whatever the OTT is.

mscha: Okay.

Summer Glau: I swallowed a bug again.

TDM: THIS ISN'T YOUR PART AND FIREFLY WAS CANCELLED A LONG TIME AGO

SG: Oh. *disappears*

Suicidal muffin: You have woom for a muffin?

TDM: No.

Suicidal muffin: But I wanna die!

TDM: Um.

T** **D of chapter 1
I loved that. Even how I don't know half of these characters already. *wills you to do ch2*
FutureNote: Ah *wills ch3*

HES wrote:HES won't be posting todip. We apologise for the inconvenience.
I knew you were plural!

january1may wrote:Please, couldn't you OTTers of NP219 (and NP218 and NP220) make slightly less random sex pun jokes? How unfortunate that they didn't have BlitzGirl and her punsaw yet. I mean, if I wanted to read something about sex, I would've been reading UBEA, not OTT (and for that matter, UBEA has about three times as many episodes as OTT has posts, so there's a lot of variety).
First: no. There's the sex word as milestone here in the Present and that's how it's gonna be. You say something about variety at this other place (which, btw, huh, what is it?), well, we have that variety in our ages and maturity and skills, et al. We do try to spoiler them when we can, so you'll be happy, I hope.

BlitzGirl wrote:Mods give out titles as they see fit, usually during the times of RECKONING. Helper, KarMann, azule, and others gained their attention in the early dips of the OTT, and were given titles then.
Yeah, but how? What caught their attention?

BlitzGirl wrote:
azule wrote:
Spoiler:

Ooh, is that the special discount code for OTC T-shirts?
Hehe. It would have to also cause the T-shirts to show up in the store. It would be a very powerful discount code. ^_^

SilentTimer wrote:
Nope.
Spoiler:
Cool. Will add at end of next wip. I did try to follow those instructions to your server, but it resulted in an error.
FuturePastNote: I should have posted this comment last Fridip. *whoops*

yappobiscuits wrote:Quick and easy ottification of 193 because it hadn't been done yet...
Cool. It's weird, I thought it had been done. Maybe GLR has made some very similar comics (that we've OTTified).

sonicspin wrote:have a gif
The attachment yay.gif is no longer available

redundanceparty?
Spoiler:
The attachment yay.gif is no longer available
Hehe, truly redundant makes me smile. he-he.

FutureWarning: Y'know:
yappobiscuits wrote:
azule wrote:I think the record also shows us getting upset when others are not included.

Well that's where we disagree strongly. What record? Charlie leaving? That's literally the only instance I can think of, and that was highly unexpected and saddening for us all, not usual fare in the slightest.
Eh, I'm not up to searching for it (who knows what keywords to use), but simply using myself as an example, there were times were I felt underappreciated, maybe due to paranoia, but from the thought of how well another might have been received while I felt ignored. I've read others' very similar complaints. (All of these instances have been met with acknowledgement and condolences, even the Charlie incident.) Now, with an award thingie, that's basically the nature of the game itself: to recognize a select few and ignore the rest. More comments beneath the next quote.

yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:
azule wrote:It is true that we all have a lot of growing up to do. (Don't forget your recent statement that you tend to "hide" when something you say goes awry.) Honesty about this is important. The record shows we just shouldn't do things the way others do. We give presents on our 'versaries. I don't see why this should be any different. Is there some creative solution where the individuals claim their own reward and maybe bestow it upon others? *shrug* I'll get back to you.

Everyone in the world has some growing up to do. It doesn't make us all incapable of functioning as normal human beings and requiring constant sheltering. You seem to be forgetting that we're all different, independent people. One of the greatest things about the OTT is our diversity. We were brought together by the OTT but we weren't all born in it. We're not all fragile, sheltered little children who can't handle anything but rainbows-and-unicorns positivity. One reason I love this place more so than anywhere else on the vast interwebs is that my experience with internet communities has been that they're always either A) Full of intellectual types who can get overly cynical and negative, but at least the discussions are intelligent and interesting, or B) Full of very kind, positive people but without any meaningful discussion or any real honesty due to fear of offending someone. And one thing I've always loved about the OTT is that it's a rare gem that in my view has the best of both worlds without the negative sides of either. It's full of kind, positive people but who are at the same time intelligent and interesting and genuinely kind and positive, not just repressing huge amounts inner negativity for fear of offending anyone, which is what I tend to encounter in the "B" scenario. Sure, we're not 100% positive, nowhere is. We have our moments of sadness, or more serious discussions (like this one right here) but we deal with it well, and what we never have is the classic sign of an immature community - drama. I really don't know where this idea of yours that OTTers are all delicate fragile juvenile creatures who can't function as normal mature human beings has come from, but it saddens me to see that you feel this way and have so little faith in our community.

No, I genuinely believe that even though we try to keep things as positive and inclusive as possible here, it's not because we can't handle it otherwise, it's just because it makes it a really nice place to be. I think the fact we are so flame-free here is precisely because our level of maturity is higher than your average internet community. On the rare occasions we do have some kind of issue, we deal with it calmly and diplomatically, quenching the embers as quickly as we can. I think (based on what I've experienced in other, less mature internet communities) if we really were as immature as you seem to believe, the positive, calm nature of the community would be just a facade that easily breaks down when any repressed negativity bubbles to the surface, leading to many a bout of drama. I've seen it all over the internet. But not here. This place is genuinely different. And that's why my faith in the OTT community remains strong.
I hope you haven't taken this wrong.
Spoiler:
My first quoted sentence was based on one of your admissions. I wasn't saying anything about a fantasy view on our maturity levels. The reality is that we often can't handle things perfectly, but by speaking out our community will often meet the needs of its members. That is to say, that as you go ahead with this awards event, it will not be perfect, and there may be repercussions, but repercussions that we will handle with as much grace as we can. We will eventually take things the right way. It's not really a big issue for me.

I believe that our community works the way it does because of agreements we've made (all voluntary). Such as not flaming. We've never agreed to not favor one member over another, so I have no beef with you. ;) I don't think we're "that" immature, as even "mature" people should have room to grow. There are some things we tend to avoid (in order to avoid a flame), such as religion. But if we were so mature we wouldn't avoid them, we would discuss them. Things can get out of hand, so it makes sense to act in this way. But that's the same type of reason for my chiming in.
It just would be nice to find a way to do the thing you want to do but in an OTTerific way. Of course, if I feel strongly about it I can just do an awards thing in the style I'm attempting to convey. But, for now, I won't be. FutureNote: But I might now-will be. We'll see.

Earthling on Mars wrote:Thanks for the comments on the Dark Lord, yappo and BlitzGirl. I think I've figured out where I'm going with it now, so hopefully the chapters will be a little more frequent.
That will be awesomeful. I didn't have time to reread the previous chapters, so I was a little out of it, so more frequent would be sweet.

Earthling On Mars wrote:
mrob27 wrote:czule - Loved the latest "Dark Lord".
Hehe. I see that the misattribution was noticed.

HES wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Whoever did this, may I suggest using PNG next time?

I did.
Spoiler:
Much better. Thanks!

macraw83 wrote:
Whizbang wrote:Redundant Spoiler:
Spoiler:

I'm surprised that Whizbang's redundakitty didn't make the OTTercomics page
I don't know why. It doesn't use the full comic, but a character/scene, that might be a reason. Being a wiki, though, feel free to add it. Personally, I'm not sure how to count them. Think of it like a What If: If you use Blackhat saying "what if [...] more?" have you OTTified the What If? But, doing a majority of it (but not all), that would count, right? OTTers, let's discuss this!

macraw83 wrote:Collatz Sequence 1794:
Spoiler:
http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=42607&mode=view

Collatz Sequence 3080:
Spoiler:
http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=42608&mode=view

I'm not sure exactly what to call these. They're compilations of frames whose order is inspired by OtherComic 710. Does that make them OTTercomics? OTC Manips? Neither? Regardless, I have an idea for OTTercomic 710 that I'll try to make when I get home and can use my tablet. I'll post it later if it looks no cheesier than it sounds in my head.
They are a thing. I think either "original works" or "data manips", like the charts and statistics. Looking forward to your OTTification.

macraw83 wrote:And thanks, mscha, for having your site so well organized. I was able to write a quick script to grab all the images from images.xkcd.com using your "Raw Data" link.
Indeed. Thanks to him too. I've used it in similar ways.

Spoiler:
binary-OdeTiTy.png
smallest
binary-OdeTiTy.png (186 Bytes) Viewed 12711 times
su_doku-OdeTiTy.png
odetity
su_doku-OdeTiTy.png (186 Bytes) Viewed 12711 times

Edit: Added next and previous frame links.
Last edited by azule on Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:54 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

BlitzGirl

Time to molpy down.

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:34 am UTC

azule wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Mods give out titles as they see fit, usually during the times of RECKONING. Helper, KarMann, azule, and others gained their attention in the early dips of the OTT, and were given titles then.

Probably whatever posts you were making in the OTT at the Time. The methods of the mods are quite Mad.

Another ENHANCE:

Redundant:
Spoiler:

Enhance of t1i-0668.png

Keywords: BGUM enhance mysteryONGs SilentONGs roots cave blue
redundant220.png
redundant220.png (145.8 KiB) Viewed 12709 times
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:40 am UTC

azule wrote:Eh, I'm not up to searching for it (who knows what keywords to use), but simply using myself as an example, there were times were I felt underappreciated, maybe due to paranoia, but from the thought of how well another might have been received while I felt ignored. I've read others' very similar complaints. (All of these instances have been met with acknowledgement and condolences, even the Charlie incident.)

Alright, yeah, I also remember such comments. But I always took them to be minor rather than major sadness, not something that anyone would get seriously upset over. But what do I know, I'm not inside everyone's heads, I'm just going by how I feel when I feel that way.
azule wrote:Now, with an award thingie, that's basically the nature of the game itself: to recognize a select few and ignore the rest.

I disagree. The main point with these awards, as I've tried to make clear many times, is that they are less about "who wins" and more about everyone getting to look back over highlights of a year of Time. They are more a way to get people reminiscing, remembering and digging up stuff from the past. Whoever or whatever wins is only the icing on the cake. Sure its about recognising a select few (because the key word here is "highlights") but to say it's about "ignoring" the rest isn't right, that's a way too strongly negative way of looking at it.
azule wrote:My first quoted sentence was based on one of your admissions. I wasn't saying anything about a fantasy view on our maturity levels. The reality is that we often can't handle things perfectly, but by speaking out our community will often meet the needs of its members. That is to say, that as you go ahead with this awards event, it will not be perfect, and there may be repercussions, but repercussions that we will handle with as much grace as we can. We will eventually take things the right way. It's not really a big issue for me.

Ok, that's fair. Sorry for such a strongly-worded reply, it just seemed to me at the time that you had some ideas about the community that I found unfair, but it seems I somewhat misunderstood. Anyway, I understand your concerns, but I'll still be going ahead with these awards even so. I guess if there are repercussions, you have my permission to say "I told you so." :P
azule wrote:I believe that our community works the way it does because of agreements we've made (all voluntary). Such as not flaming. We've never agreed to not favor one member over another, so I have no beef with you. I don't think we're "that" immature, as even "mature" people should have room to grow. There are some things we tend to avoid (in order to avoid a flame), such as religion. But if we were so mature we wouldn't avoid them, we would discuss them. Things can get out of hand, so it makes sense to act in this way. But that's the same type of reason for my chiming in.

Hmm, indeed, I'd agree with all that. Though I still personally believe the fact we've made and continue to uphold these voluntary agreements is a testimony to our overall maturity as a community. I don't think the fact we avoid controversial big topics has anything to do with a lack of maturity, I think it's just that there are plenty of other places to discuss that stuff (I know I discuss that stuff elsewhere) and it's nice to have a place that isn't cluttered with discussion of that sort of thing. Because it does get tiring when every single discussion on the internet turns to such issues. I don't think it's particularly immature to seek a break from it from time to time.
azule wrote:It just would be nice to find a way to do the thing you want to do but in an OTTerific way. Of course, if I feel strongly about it I can just do an awards thing in the style I'm attempting to convey. But, for now, I won't be. FutureNote: But I might now-will be. We'll see.

Well, that brings into question - what exactly is the OTTerific way? We're so diverse here I don't really know how to define that. Do you just mean more silly or something? Sure, silly is fun, but as I've said I'm running the OTTscars the way I am in order to create a reflective look back at all the best bits of the thread so far… but still, redundancy is molpish, and I'd sure be interested to see how you'd run such a thing, if you do plan to go ahead with something! *Waits for it*

And by the way I'm really enjoying Zanclean Zodiac, it's very wingish and rather calming and zen, which makes a nice contrast to the more exciting SilentONGs. Steakish!

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:14 am UTC

azule wrote:Minim, your madspace is brillious. I love how you have title text too! I'd comment there...but I'm here. OTT for life, son! *the references police knock down my door* Oh dear. I didn't know I couldn't say that. *arrested* *jail* *Time*

Thanks! :D
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:04 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:WHATTHEEPSILONG
Spoiler:

What the chirp is that tree doing? How did it grow leaves so fast?

As for the decree:
They'll meet the rabbit of Caerbannog. Thus end the Mystery pics. The stick figure in the structure is its current lunch.

Oh and: molpong about

Clearly the rock itself is has grown sentient and is attacking Queball. Thus end the Mystery Pics
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: Time to molpy down.

Postby SBN » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:40 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
azule wrote:

Probably whatever posts you were making in the OTT at the Time. The methods of the mods are quite Mad.

I'm going to guess this exchange is related:
azule wrote:
Fantastic Idea wrote:I think you all need to know that this thread and this thread only appears to have been Saved, and the wordfilters are only applying to quotes. Elsewhere in the fora these apply for every post.
You have been saved. You should probably hail davean, forum administrator and dark lord among us. Widely speculated to be the origin of Black Hat Guy, it's important that you remember you must never capitalize his name. Ever.

Awesome! Hail davean!

We're special....yes, probably that kind of special. 8-)

No idea what I did to earn mine though.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Neil_Boekend

Re: Time to molpy down.

Postby Neil_Boekend » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:44 pm UTC

SBN wrote: No idea what I did to earn mine though.

Probably pressing ctrl-s
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:05 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:ENHANCEment of latest SilentONG...
(That stick figure is very immobile.)
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
RSIR:
Spoiler:
OTTOS.jpg
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

balthasar_s

blitzreport 11 (448/1370)(1391/1789)

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:36 pm UTC

First some text, then the blitzreport 11 (448/1370)(1391/1789)
So, I realised that my post often have content about me and other things from my alternate univere (bikes, moon base, etc.). This isn't very related. and I don't know if I'm not overdoing it. Nobody was complaining so far so I automatically asumed that everything is Ok. But what if it isn't?
alt="Or am I a silly molpy" />

The blitzreport 11 (448/1370)(1391/1789) (there was no 10)

First signature mentioning me
Wow, there's so many of us.
The past is not empty!

Oh no, I'm too slow. I'm almost falling behind.
Earlier, my blitzing speed was about 6 times bigger than your posting speed. Now it's too close to 1.
I should have started the blitz earlier, when the Outside was giving me much free time. Now, the Outide wants that time back.

BlitzGirl wrote:http://vpx.pl/i/2013/04/29/SharkJumping.png
?

Here should have started the blitzreport 11 (448/1370)(1391/1789):

I LIKE OUR CASTLE

By the way: Any ideas what this will turn out to be?
A BlitzGirl avatar?

SO many haikus in one post. Über-haiquage!

WAHT TO FIND OUT? YES

Chronosdragon's calculator makes predictions.
A faded post JUST BEFORE THE FADING!

Or maybe it was the flag that held back the sea.
I'm sorry... can I ask what is this "OTC" people is talking ago?

RobIrr's map.

Leave a flag
"bye"

Implying the individuals make bots to follow the thread? Or the individuals become bots following the thread? Or the individuals are replaced by bots who read the thead?
so many names for the sem<snip>onice:
What happened here?

Registered and delurked just to ask, Is it just me, or is the scene fading?

#010101 or #151515?
But, HOW? And WHY?

The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: caffeinecancerbabies.
There are no flames in my pants
first IMP?.

I would say, is the comic even relevant to itself?
Wrong instructions for attachment posting.

FFT of difference of FFT of difference ...
you get a big enough quark-pack, the LHC is included. Some assembly required.
fading extrapolation
But imagine how much longer this thread could become (and the number of denominations of the religion that could be spawned) if an indistinct figure was seen to be entering the frame from one side immediately prior to the total whiteout.

Has anyone already come up with a theory that this is actually a very bright light caused by nuclear explosion and at the end the castle will be destroyed in an epic way by a shock wave? If not, this is my theory now.
Well in that case, I guess Megan and Cueball are just trying to be Cool Guys. Cool Guys Don't Look at Explosions, after all

Also, to realize how I've been "changing the past" even though I wasn't posting in this thread

goes all white, yet newpix still appear unchanging, all white, with new hashes every newpix. How long will we wait?
Sea level & fading graph
SOMEBODYSHOULDUSEALLTHESERHYMESTOWRITEASONG....

... So, if time were being sped up within the OTC, normally, we'd see it being blueshifted, from the outside. However, given that it exists in a gr[ea]yscale universe, this obviously can't be, so the only place for that extra energy to go is into greater intensity of the light. ...

blitz (plural blitzes)
  ◌ A sudden attack, especially an air raid; usually with reference to The Blitz.
  ◌ (figuratively) A sudden effort, as a publicity blitz.
  ◌ A spontaneous, extended effort to read through the entirety of a piece of media, esp. a forum thread (See:Blitzgirl)

BlitzGirl's signpost 425/438 is BIG!

invisibletext

There once was a comic, so sweet / with a little girl name La Petite. / But she came and went / and all hope was spent... / The little bitch!
I see you've opted for the 1122bitch rhyme scheme. Popular amongst drunk limerickers.

Since this was the ong post, shouldn't this have been Destructiong!?
Some posts are written in faded text.

Edited for readability, repetitive redundancy, etc.
It's a pre-redundant redundancy!
this must mean that someone must have done something to cause the OTC to never exits!
and I came to realize it totally matches the OTC/T.
OTT is called OTT for the first time! (unless I missed it before)

Blitzgirl reaches the present!
Blitzgirl and laPetite are twins. One is evil.

The Last Timewaiter.

Firstposts are bumped.
Whitenüpiks are enhanced.
Lapetite enters frame (

If a newpix is posted in Time and we cannot see it, does it make a DONG?
SHARK
maybe we can still save Time if BlitzGirl gives LaPetite a new name!
White newpix

The newpix now completely white . . .

Wait for it.

How about some retrOTTiffication?
Spoiler:

End of blitzreport 11 (448/1370)(1391/1789)

I like ChronosDragon's new hat.

AluisioASG wrote:I believe balthablood mentioned looking for balt. So yes, assuming he's stripping the HTML tags.
I'm not stripping the tags. But I will. But later.

mrob27 wrote: I didn't intend to make an OSH puzzle for balthasar_s with the little bike icon,
Which became a double OSH...

Neil_Boekend wrote:It has canoes.

?

lmjb1964 wrote:Weird, you must have somehow started the post in my account. :)

So you you're saying that the post bot already has your pasword even though I haven't started making the bot yet?
Or maybe that was you who <computery stuff><computery stuff> all along . . .

czule wrote:b[ao]l?t[th]\w+_s
While this does recognize my name, It isn't recognized as my name itself. Are you trying to make the bot play regex golf? : )

czule wrote:What is that? Something Polish?
In some countries people celebrate bithday. In some countries people also celebrate the name day. Every name has a day in the year aociated with it. Mine is 6.1. (and the birthday is 23.6)

Neil_Boekend wrote:What the chirp is that tree doing? How did it grow leaves so fast?
I think it's not the tree growing so fast but that some of our ENHANCEments de-enhanced the leaves.

Redundant...
Spoiler:
retr1.PNG

reduncause.PNG

ETA: A bot report coming soon.

Last edited by balthasar_s on 09 Feb 1983, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
BSTA
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:04 pm UTC

azule wrote:
mrob27 wrote:
How Time Was Saved
Wow. Great origin story. I could say more but I think that's called gushing. Gushing sounds messy. But I was thinking how great it would be to collect all these stories and some of the songs and poems and arrange them in a chronological order. Most of the stories do not conflict with each other (even though their perspectives are usually so unique), as I recall. Well, I mean, like a book. I know there was that Book of Time project that didn't get far, but a Story of Time might be better and we could send that to GLR when we have it fleshed out enough. :)
I like this idea. :) A quick glance at the Time Literature page on the wiki agrees that they don't seem to conflict. I also notice that mrob's story isn't listed there... I'll go add it.
azule wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:Thanks for the comments on the Dark Lord, yappo and BlitzGirl. I think I've figured out where I'm going with it now, so hopefully the chapters will be a little more frequent.
That will be awesomeful. I didn't have time to reread the previous chapters, so I was a little out of it, so more frequent would be sweet.
Yep, I have a couple more chapters finished and now I'm just making y'all
Spoiler:
wait for it
since I heard you like to do that. :wink:
azule wrote:
macraw83 wrote:
Spoiler:
Whizbang wrote:Redundant Spoiler:

I'm surprised that Whizbang's redundakitty didn't make the OTTercomics page
I don't know why. It doesn't use the full comic, but a character/scene, that might be a reason. Being a wiki, though, feel free to add it.
It might fit better at Redundakitty Collection. It doesn't seem to be there either.

P.S. I don't think I mentioned it before, but I'm enjoying the Zanclean Zodiac.

balthasar_s wrote:First signature mentioning me
Wow, there's so many of us.
The past is not empty!
Unfortunately, most of them seem to be in the basement. I keep them in my signature in the hope that they will return one day.

balthasar_s

Aaaaaaaaa.

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:22 pm UTC

Blueundant
Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!
enh4.png
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
BSTA

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0670

Postby mscha » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:30 pm UTC

PALONGENETIC...
Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!
-- posted by newpixbot

HES

Postby HES » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:04 pm UTC

Oh no!

*remembers*

Oh nooo!

Spoiler:

balthasar_s wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:It has canoes.

?

It also has Kayaks.

azule wrote:
HES wrote:HES won't be posting todip. We apologise for the inconvenience.
I knew you were plural!

Not familiar with the Royal we? I'm vaguely RELATED to the monarchy. Probably.

taixzo wrote:

Called it!!

You know, technically you said "next frame" when it was actually next but one :wink: :twisted:
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:26 pm UTC

Hold this or you'll fall, Cueball... Image

ZoomanSP wrote:
Spoiler:

:D :D :D

balthasar_s wrote:So, I realised that my post often have content about me and other things from my alternate universe (bikes, moon base, etc.). This isn't very related. and I don't know if I'm not overdoing it. Nobody was complaining so far so I automatically asumed that everything is Ok. But what if it isn't?
alt="Or am I a silly molpy"

You are a silly molpy, balthamoonbase. It's all RELATED, you know!
Treeish retrOTTiffication!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:46 pm UTC

HES wrote:It also has Kayaks.
How could I forget?
yappobiscuits wrote:Funny and RELATED.
So, It wasn't semenated- but semi-nakedcoffeebaconcancerbabiesonice.
ETAaaaaa:
ETA": Hi, karhell, you're almost here!
Watch out, there is a Cueball hanging 2 posts above you!
ETA3:ENHANCE
Spoiler:
Redundant:
karh.png
Last edited by balthasar_s on Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:02 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
BSTA

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:18 pm UTC

Prediction: Megan says "Long live the Cueball" and pushes him off the edge into a buffalo stampede.

karhell

Postby karhell » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:29 pm UTC

Karhell's Wanderings
1752nd mile of a 1789 mile journey
37 pages behind, and catching up!

As of 30mnp ago, I have past my last signpost, so I figure this is a pretty good time to add another, despite having (originally wrote havong... what have you done to me, Time ? :D... 'ang on, I'm getting sidetracked, where was I ?) ... despite having passed this several xips ago :

OrbitalFacePalm9001 wrote:
Diamond Sattelite Beacon Gamma

Report to future present if more than 5 pages ahead of this post.

Questions:
*Why is the voldeframe scary?
*Why did GLR make OTC references in an othercomic and a what-if?
*And why does Rosetta talk weird?

Hmmmm... this beacon looks distinctly different from the previous ones, lacking the usual draconic architecture, and taking on a more... modern style. Oh well, why not ? All occasions are good to report, I suppose ^^

===== Several pastpost responses more or less in chronological order =====
Spoiler:
yappobiscuits wrote:"At what point in OTTish history will there be too many newpages to be able to read them all in one lifetime?"

Never!

ucim wrote:
ggh wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I think skydiving would be kinda cool, but I'm pretty sure I will never do it.
That was the first thing I tackled in my Year of Doing Scary Things. I did it the easy way, where you're strapped to someone who is big and knows what he's doing. I recommend it!
Jumping out of an airplane strapped to a baobab does not sound like a good idea.

Jose

loved that :mrgreen:

lmjb1964 wrote:<snipsnipsnip>
edited again because I forgot to say hi to karhell. Hi karhell!!

Hi lmjb1964 !!

ZoomanSP wrote:Hi, OTTer karhell! :)

BlitzGirl wrote:The logicats are actually being quicker than that - the dropdowns close raptorcattishly no matter what I'm doing with the mouse or leopard. I guess they're raptorlogicats now.

The Mouse and Leopard is the name of my next band pub.

Hi OTTer ZoomanSP ! :)
That's a pub I'd like to visit ^^

Vytron wrote:ucim had sent me a heart touching message that I couldn't help but come back to the OTT! Many thanks José!

Just the thread, but I'll not be joining back the Time fandom, I don't think I can keep up with more than one of them, and I'll definitively keep the Drawception fandom, which includes adoration to the great players over there, and their avatars ("Drawsonas"), despite the sadness that plagues daily over there.

Will also keep my personas separate, Vytron will be this blue peacock-cat that you see here and the red cat you used to know will be over Drawception. Will no longer wear a hat or have sigcouragement or do all the crazy things I did on the outside fora like I used to, because, I'm not feeling it anymore. Consider me an outsider insider. I also lost the logs of what pages I've read and what not, so I don't think I'll be ever trying to finish my blitzing, so...

Oh, man! This message is now so full of technicalities that it doesn't even feel like a "I'm back!" message anymore...

Consider me unbasemented!

There, that better? :)

I'd also like to apologize to all the people that I hurt, to all the people that I offended, and to all the people that I made sad for one reason or another, like, quitting the entire place for the actions of one or two people, though, ucim knows I could have been more harsh. That wasn't my intention, and hope you can forgive me.

To the rest: Yay! I'm so glad I didn't cause damage!

I missed xall! Let's party! :mrgreen:

Belated, but welcome back ! Glad you chose to return, my friend !
(and yes, I keep treking as you can see ^^)

cellocgw wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:I'd like to ask OTTers and lurkers alike:
Does anyone here use Internet Explorer < 9?
Lurkers know my email address.

Eeewwwww! Does anyone use IE[anyversion] unless forced to do so at gunpoint? (or punsaw-blade)

Unfortunately some people just cling on to what they know, refusing to change...
(says the one who obstinately refuses to update from opera 12.16)

Nearly there, I'm waiting harder than ever to see you all !
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:32 pm UTC

karhell wrote:Karhell's Wanderings
1752nd mile of a 1789 mile journey

Baobabs, karhell is almost here! :shock:
Quick, sweep the molpies! Summon the floors!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:43 pm UTC

I'm ketchuping TimeAfterTime and it ends with a cliffhanger? :?
I guess I'll have to
Spoiler:
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:45 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:I'm ketchuping TimeAfterTime and it ends with a cliffhanger? :?

Does that count as a pun...?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”