1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eternal Density

Thanks BlitzGirl :D

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:12 pm UTC

Hmm, my first program...
I don't really remember what was first. I played around a lot with Visual Basic 6 (ugh) when I was around 15. I guess my first was a Hello World thing. Some early stuff I remember making are Connect Four, Tetris, and a program which does exactly the same thing as Glass Ceilings in the Hotdog (though it was based off the same physical ring puzzle as the Glass Ceiling puzzle is). I also had a couple of 2D tile maze-puzzle games (somewhat based off elements of Chip's Challenge but with Nitro also, ala Crash Bandicoot) and then one that was more of a platformer (similar but with gravity added) and then a spaceship game (basically with 'you keep moving until you press another key or hit something' added). Oh and then a tank game which was a sidescroller with 5 lanes and you had to dodge stuff...

ETA
oh.

Well. It's been a while since I did a Hotdog Vendor Decree, but maybe suggest what's a small bit of productivity software you might like created, or just continue the Firsts decree from the previous page.
Last edited by Eternal Density on Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Re: Time After Time Images in Sandcastle Builder

Postby slinches » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:14 pm UTC

ggh wrote:ETA for slinches:
Spoiler:

Thanks! There ain't no party like a gastropod party!! 8-)

Sorry, that joke was terrible. :oops: I think I may deserve the 10hr nyan cat punishment for that one.

ETA: Oh good, look down there. karhell's here!!!
Last edited by slinches on Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

karhell

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby karhell » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:18 pm UTC

*a sound of rapidly approaching feet is heard*
taptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptripAIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEskidskidskidTHUNK...flop

as the dust settles, you see a dark figure, back to the far side wall, with its feet above its head, grumbling and struggling to get back upright.

Oi! who left that last post there ? Dangerous stuff that !
last post ?

could it be ?

*checks*

*double checks*

*happy dance*

I'm finally here ! So that's what the present is like eh ? Treeish ! :D

(oh, and belated happy birthdip to yappo, happy birthdip to slinches, and anticipated happy birthdip to taixzo !)

phew!

now I can molpy down.
*crashes on the newly summoned floor*
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

HES

Sudden leopard attack

Postby HES » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:23 pm UTC

karhell wrote:*crashes on the newly summoned floor*

Yaaay, references! Image
He/Him/His Image

Eternal Density

Hooray!!

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:23 pm UTC

karhell wrote:I'm finally here ! So that's what the present is like eh ? Treeish ! :D

Wow :D
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:27 pm UTC

Welcome karhell, BlitzGirl the Next!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:29 pm UTC

It's karhell! Hooray! ImageImage
Good thing I summoned those floors. Watch out for the molpies, they like clambering over things on the ground. It's so awesomeful to have you Present! :mrgreen:

HES wrote:As was mine. My first real lego was this one. Then a siblingmolpy trod on it :evil: And then I fixed it, and now I'm an engineer :D
A few things may have happened in between...

Ooh, we're sharing first LEGO sets? Mine was this one: http://brickset.com/sets/6232-1/Skeleton-Crew
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:32 pm UTC

I couldn't tell you what my first LEGO set was, because it was so early in my life! I was probably 2 or 3...been playing with LEGO for forever.

Welcome forward, karhell! Good to have you with us!

Eternal Density

We have many LEGO sets, containing much LEGO.

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:41 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:I couldn't tell you what my first LEGO set was, because it was so early in my life! I was probably 2 or 3...been playing with LEGO for forever.

Welcome forward, karhell! Good to have you with us!

My first LEGO set was a house, I believe it was a red house with a yellow roof (with the sloped roofing pieces). It also contained a couple of bushes, some flowers, a palm tree, a red bicycle, and two minifigs (I think a blonde woman and a man with black hair and a horizontally striped shirt). I think we still have most of the pieces in our collection

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:49 pm UTC

HES wrote:Yes. My second was this one a few minutes later (It was my birthdip). I really liked lego as a kid.

Who am I kidding? I really like lego.

I and some of my friends are Adult Fans Of Lego (AFOLs). We escaped our dark yips a few yips back. Most of my friends like to build for the village in the attic of my sister and her husband. I personally prefer Lego Technic.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Soup

Postby Soup » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:00 pm UTC

Yay, Karhell!

Happy birthdip slinches and taixzo!!

Spoiler:
LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS :mrgreen:

I'll be, you know, over there.
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

Eternal Density

I FEEL LIKE CAPITALISING LEGO TODIP

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:03 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
HES wrote:Yes. My second was this one a few minutes later (It was my birthdip). I really liked lego as a kid.

Who am I kidding? I really like lego.

I and some of my friends are Adult Fans Of Lego (AFOLs). We escaped our dark yips a few yips back. Most of my friends like to build for the village in the attic of my sister and her husband. I personally prefer Lego Technic.

I don't LEGO myself these days but I buy it for my younger siblings for Christmas. Last yip I bought them a large Technic airplane set and a couple of yips ago I scored them an awesomeful Mindstorms set so now they make robots. And program them. I have a video of their latest one actually. Maybe I'll upload it.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:05 pm UTC

Hooray karhell! Welcome to the Present!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

sonicspin

Postby sonicspin » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:33 pm UTC

hey karhell!
for decree: I have made a calculator with all the fancy stuffs I use, AKA a bunch of useless stuff

HES

Continuing previous decree

Postby HES » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:55 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:We need a video for molpy-rolls, which is Molpies but with the video being replaced by a hamply on a wheel.

Time for my first <YouTube upload> ever.
He/Him/His Image

Eternal Density

Re: Continuing previous decree

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:59 pm UTC

HES wrote:
taixzo wrote:We need a video for molpy-rolls, which is Molpies but with the video being replaced by a hamply on a wheel.

You are doing it right!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:59 pm UTC

D'aww! You're a molpy! Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

taixzo

Re: Continuing previous decree

Postby taixzo » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:25 am UTC

HES wrote:

And on a loop:

http://www.listenonrepeat.com/watch/?v=ujA7iF8m8Ms
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0696

Postby mscha » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:30 am UTC

ONGERLY...
Spoiler:
-- posted by newpixbot

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:31 am UTC

Welcome to the present, karhell! Here, have a RELATED cake:
Spoiler:
HES wrote:

Molpish video!

As for first LEGO sets: Mine was a castle, possibly this one.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

HES

Postby HES » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:40 am UTC

I only have 7 seconds of wheel footage, but I have found enough other home videos for a full version. I need to molpy down though, so you'll have to
Spoiler:
hide from snakes
He/Him/His Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:41 am UTC

YAY KARHELL Image

Ahaa! That was my first! I was just thinking "I can't possibly remember what my first lego set was, I had so much lego..." but seeing that jogged my memory. :mrgreen:
Soup wrote:
Spoiler:
LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS LEGOS :mrgreen:

NOOOO *frantically pelts with S&Ms*
HES wrote:

YESSS *puts on loop*
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Eternal Density

Skis!

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:30 am UTC

HES wrote:Yes. My second was this one a few minutes later (It was my birthdip).

I remember that one! It's probably sitting around in a cupboard somewhere.
I think the largest grouping of Lego I had was Ice Planet. All those long white skis and short tranparent orange skis...

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:32 am UTC

Yay karhell!

Heh, 'splain to me again what's wrong with "legos"?
Spoiler:
keeping in mind that ED treating lego as a verb was perfectly fine just a few posts up. ;)
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: The bags. Make them stop.

Postby SBN » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:52 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:My first lego was duplo. Probably.

Mine was not, that phase of my childhood predates Duplo.

The first I recall playing with wasn't Lego, at all. I played with these. The ones I played with were already well worn before I encountered them. Not sure whose they were originally.

ggh wrote:Yay karhell!

Spoiler:
keeping in mind that ED treating lego as a verb was perfectly fine just a few posts up. ;)

Depends on if you want to give in to the demands of the corporation or not. Seems to me it's a pretty legitimate shortening of "Lego brand interlocking bricks" (Especially since not all of them are even bricks.) So, unless you only play with one of them at a time, carry on.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ggh

Re: The bags. Make them stop.

Postby ggh » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:12 am UTC

SBN wrote:The first I recall playing with wasn't Lego, at all. I played with these. The ones I played with were already well worn before I encountered them. Not sure whose they were originally.

Me too! I think they were my brother and sister's before me.

I also had Brix Blox, which connected more solidly. When I first heard of Lego, it seemed to me like a poor substitute for Brix Blox. Hmm, maybe I should order some on eBay. I wonder what the shipping would be like.
Last edited by ggh on Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Eternal Density

Verbing weirds language.

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:16 am UTC

ggh wrote:Yay karhell!

Spoiler:

No MOLD!
Spoiler:
Heh, I didn't even realise I'd done it. Verbing comes naturally to me.

yappobiscuits

OTTscars Round 2!

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:41 am UTC

Round 2 of voting for the OTTscars is upon us! Thanks to all who voted in round 1, there was a great response, and many categories already show clear winners. But many do not, and that's what this round is for. Some categories had virtually no consensus with everyone voting for something different, or just very few people actually voting in them (mainly the Outside categories) and others have a few nominees with more votes than others but no real runaway winner so I'm still putting them up for a second round.

If something you nominated isn't listed, I have moved a few things which I thought would be more appropriate in a different category, or would have a better chance in a different category.

This round works a bit differently to the first. Instead of a free vote, there are a list of nominees taken from votes cast in round 1 for you to choose from. Last time I said a maximum of 5 votes in each category, but this time as there are fewer choices it's being taken down to 3 maximum. As before, there's no obligation to vote in every category, just as many as you want. Take as much time as you need to consider all the nominees, then as before, PM me your votes! Also, you're most welcome to vote in this round even if you didn't vote in the first. It might actually be easier this round because you're not so spoiled for choice and don't have to go searching for things!

ETA: Suggestion from ZoomanSP below - if you do use more than one vote, if you can, rank your votes in order of preference. This makes it easier if there's a tie.

You have until Riverdix, Advent 27th (Mar. 22) to get your votes in.

So, here are the categories being put forth into round 2:

OTTer Awards
Spoiler:
Clever Molpy Award: Award for the most intelligent OTTer. Whose posts manage to get you making an audible "hmmmm" sound due to the intelligence involved?

The nominees are:

addams
mrob27
charlie_grumbles
AluisioASG
mscha
Kieryn
ucim
taixzo
Dracomax
ZoomanSP
Rule110
Sciscitor
NoMouse
BlitzGirl
ChronosDragon

Best Username: Whose username do you think is the cleverest, funniest, or best-sounding?

The nominees are:

Angelastic
Eternal Density
42 guests
ChronosDragon
adnapemit
charlie_grumbles
Moose Anus
taixzo
TimeLurker
yappobiscuits
jjjdavidson
SilentTimer
Timborme (not strictly a username, but I'm stretching the rules to allow it ;) )

Best Avatar: Whose avatar do you think is the best-looking, funniest, cutest, or most well-made?

This one had the least consensus, so there are loads of nominees!
I've included descriptions of the avatars for convenience.
The nominees are:

Jetpac (Strong Bad Bear Shark)
Smithers (S fractal)
fatness (Cute white wolpy)
TimeLurker (Hourglass)
Rule110 (Avatar mosaic)
SBN (Black wolpy)
buffygirl (Buffy with various hats)
balthasar_s (Bicycles on the moon and variations)
AluisioASG (White/blue dragon)
ChronosDragon (Steampunk dragon)
tman2nd (Cat in a hat on a cat)
macraw83 (Cat with bird-kite hat)
Vytron (Peacock cat)
nsub1 (Broken image icon)
NetWeasel (Beanish captcha)
ergman (Octo-cat)
Valarya (Eye with red hair)
Neil_Boekend (Phicorp logo with hat and brainslug)
wizpretz (Pretzel wizard)
MistyCat (Frame from ggh's wowterfall)
ZoomanSP (Turtleception)
marchlight (Horsemolpy)
HES (Hamply)
yappobiscuits (Waterottermolpy)
azule (Foxmolpy with cookie hat)

OTT Awards
Best Wild Theory: There have been many attempts at predicting the future of the OTC and OTT, some accurate, some less so. This is an award for those that weren't at all accurate but were funny or clever. What's your favourite wild theory that has been put forth?

The nominees are:
Spoiler:
yappobiscuits wrote:What if the Beanies are descended from us? Think about it... a culture who wear hats... and have weird words for things... Beanish is just OTTish that has developed further and further over Time until it's become completely seperate from any other language. It got so far we even developed our own alphabet. The Beanies knew of the coming flood, and the coming of Megball, because of the legends of the OTC passed down through the generations. It was no coincidence that there happened to be a Beanie scout party ready to meet Megball, and with the exact Panther Salve which Megan required! They knew it was coming. Because they waited for it. They had always been waiting for it. And we must continue to Wait for it, passing the word of GLR from generation to generation of OTTers, so that GLR's prophecy as set forth in the holy OTC, is fulfilled.

Rule110 wrote:Image

Latent22 wrote:Been thinking about the flow of time in the OTC. The obvious answer is that it is arbitrary and at the whim of GLR. But is it possible that it is actually based on the perception of the main two characters Megan and Cueball. As an example when they both sleep so does the OTC and we miss most of the night times. When one of them is forced to stay awake at night we get the slow drag of a nights worth of time with no way to speed it up. We also get the adrenalin boosted frames where Trebuchet bullets fly slowly though the air or the keyboard attack with sub second time between frames. Then their is dialog frames where they the speed is dictated by the natural flow and responses of conversation. There is the leaving of the sandcastle where without Megan and Cueball to perceive it and only their fading memory to keep it alive it fades slowly.

So Maybe in some way the OTC is meant to be a way of showing the weird and interesting way we as humans perceive time. Fast at time and slow at times and with missing gaps for sleeping etc.

vvn wrote:Perhaps the universe is 2d at the right, turning 3d left of the dike. (That's why megan didn't just make the dike bigger, she ran out of 2d building material.)

Neil_Boekend wrote:(Various) …Thus ends Time.

Eternal Density wrote:Prediction: The beaniefolk are actually scary robots. But not very scary robots.

Most Accurate Theory: As above, except this one is for predictions that were so eerily accurate you'd think the OTTer that made it could've been a Time traveller.

The nominees (with newpage numbers) are:
Spoiler:
A lot of correct predictions of the raftcastle:
free-bee, NP 10 wrote:I believe that something/someone will be coming by boat/ship

xpatiate, NP 336 wrote:They're hoisting a sail in readiness for the incoming tide to lift them (on the raft that they have been invisibly constructing behind the castle)?

mybrainhurts, NP 253 wrote:They are building a raft upon the middle mound.
So when the flood comes they'll escape from this lost island.

rainycity1, NP 261 wrote:I postulate that she is converting part of the sandcastle to a boat (with supplies) and will float off once the water gets high enough…

XonqNopp, NP 303 wrote:If the sea is rising... Are they building a boat? A kinda Noah's ark??

Other, non-raftcastle predictions:
Luggage, NP 1, 6th post in the thread wrote:Somehow, I feel that this is the strongest xkcd yet. It's in my head.

ctdonath, NP 9 wrote:I'd be impressed if this scene ended with the couple leaving 'cuz their pleasant shoreline was under water.

dtilque, NP 16 wrote:Just had a thought: maybe she's building a trebuchet to attack the castle.

Beatrice The Golden, NP 17 wrote: [The water] could also be Chekhov's gun - the water was shown as innocent at the very start of the story, just to erupt into a wave at the end (or slowly increase its height as a tide).

Mikrit mentioned the Zanclean flood way back at the start of the Journey Eon:
mikrit, NP461 wrote:Actually, I am thinking of the Mediterranean Sea. The Nile ends in a delta; I imagine its could change its course a bit due to sedimentation.
And there was a time when the Mediterranean was rising very rapidly.
Wikipedia wrote:According to a report published by Nature in 2009, scientists think that the Mediterranean Sea was mostly filled during a time period of less than two years, in a major flood (the Zanclean flood) that happened approximately 5.33 million years ago, in which water poured in from the Atlantic Ocean and through the Strait of Gibraltar, at a rate three times the current flow of the Amazon River.

Eutychus predicted LaPetite's appearance at the end of the Fading:
Eutychus, NP wrote:But imagine how much longer this thread could become (and the number of denominations of the religion that could be spawned) if an indistinct figure was seen to be entering the frame from one side immediately prior to the total whiteout.

AussieJono was the first to suggest the Mediterranean as the setting:
AussieJono, NP 107 wrote:I believe the Mediterranean is virtually non-tidal. A quick check on Wikipedia reveals
Being nearly landlocked affects conditions in the Mediterranean Sea: for instance, tides are very limited as a result of the narrow connection with the Atlantic Ocean.

Biggest Understatement: A similar "theory" award... Who, perhaps in earlier dips, clearly didn't realise how huge certain things would become? What comment is hilarious to read in hindsight?

The nominees are:
Spoiler:
Alsadius, NP 1, 2nd post in the thread wrote:I can't tell if Randall is trying to be deep, or just trying to take a day off work.

deskjethp, NP 1 wrote:I only waited about 30 seconds. I figure maybe if you load it at midnight or noon or 1:37 P.M. or something it might be different. It's more likely it's just a static image.

Exkakx, NP 1 wrote:What an interesting comic. This is probably the most simplistic xkcd yet…

HagarTopeka1, NP 2 wrote:My guess is that it's all been drawn already, and that it loops every 24 hours, or perhaps every week.

KroniK907, NP 110 wrote:I HAVE A PREDICTION!!

By the time all is over there will be exactly 336 pages to this thread.

Heed these words!!!

mscha, NP 29 wrote:Looks like things are coming to an end. I'd now guess that there will be only one more update at 11:30 PM EDT, and after that, it's over and comic 1191 is posted.

icemachine1, NP 21 wrote:I'm wondering if this could be an April Fools Easter Egg tied to Game of Thrones 3rd season launch on the 31st

Best OTT Quote: There have been many great quotes from OTTers over the course of Time. Which do you think is the greatest, or funniest, most sig-worthy, or should be put on a plaque on the OTT wall?

The nominees are:
Spoiler:
Earthling on Mars wrote:The Bench (Click to see whole seaish thing)

Selcouth wrote:"Eggcorn" sounds like something eaten with a spoonerism.

BlitzGirl wrote:I have seen many wonders on my Quest, and this I have learned: Time is not absolute. Though dedicated forum-dwellers may debate names to a Period fresh to their eyes, a weary wanderer may come to the same TimeFrame many longpix later seeing it as but a flash in the long, long thread of Time. While some among us hold fast to the heels of the Now, posting with immediacy and brevity, there are still others at the same moment following 10 newpages back, or 50, or 300. Those of us who experienced the great Fading in real-Time have shared an experience those that follow will never quite match, just as we ourselves cannot comprehend the madness that struck in the early quickpix, or during the Madness itself.

Yet these divisions do not separate us, but make us more powerful. As grains of Sand(semencancercoffeebabies) in a Sandcastle, this needle-pulled thing works best when we are not all of the same shape. Our quirks clasp us together all the more strongly, so that when we Wait for it together - whatever Time we may travel, whatever sect we may splinter, whatever graph or song or hat we share - we are not alone. For though Time may scatter us among the pastposts and the Present, in the end, it is also what brought us to this mad, mad, glorious home in the first place.

riversong wrote:I WAITED A HALF HOUR FOR ONE DARKENING PIXEL.

NoEdge wrote:Irony: In our rush to worship the comic, we have forgotten about it.

charlie_grumbles wrote:I've discovered that we on this thread are a Tribe. Perhaps it needs a name, though Time Waiters is a pretty good one. This thread is our cave, where we meet to share experiences. Members come and go, but maintain a connection to the Tribe. There is an US and a THEM, though we aren't exclusionary. But definitely an US.

(Click for full seaish quote)

TheMulattoMaker wrote:I humbly submit that we begin measuring time in "newpix", equal to thirty standard minutes.

BlitzGirl wrote:Don't worry, feed squirpies.

ucim wrote:It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT.

keithl wrote:Expect friskiness.

ggh wrote:Yay for June Bug's jugs!

Rule110 wrote:And after all that, it's still now. There's a boy and girl on a beach and the time is now, the time is right now and only now, to build a castle.

BlitzGirl wrote:That's a side effect of reading the OTT about the OTC (currently featuring Cuegan drinking from the dilgunnerang). Even the molpy-minded adapt faster than a sparrow-raptor, absorbing new terms every newpix, whether it's from a discussion read while ketchup blitzing the pastposts, a sigcouragement response, or from the most recent B/D/G ONG. (Birds-that-we-don't-wish-to-call-birds-but-maybe-boobies-will-be-okay, anyone?) I wonder if the OTA, GLR, had any idea what would happen when he unleashed this marvel upon Outside minds, who now scan semencoffeebaconcancerbabiesonice for any sign of heretical mustard, compare the heights of creatures in centicues, keep the OTW updated and give each other Present Presents. Whether we be Amoebaeists or Loopists, Temporal Illuminati or Timewaiters, PFANPs or Mopey Molpy Momes, Trekers or thread-dwellers living in the Now, we know how to take any Madness that infects this needle-pulled thing in stride as we Wait for it together.

BlitzGirl wrote:Suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz.

Fitzypyro wrote:I think everyone is just too focused on Time to worry about The Past

Further OTT Awards
Spoiler:
Best Creative Work: What's your favourite single piece of artwork, song, poem, manip, whatever, created by an OTTer?

It was suggested that this category be split, rather like the "best artist" and "wordsmith" awards, which I think is a molpish idea, so now there will be "Best Creative Work (Visual)" and "Best Creative Work (Written/Other)". I've taken the nominees and sorted them into these categories.

The nominees for "Best Creative Work (Visual)" are:

BlitzGirl's 1000 OTTercomic
Sciscitor's constellations
"Under the Same Stars" - BlitzGirl
"In the Castle" - BlitzGirl
"What have you done to me, Time?" - balthasar_s
Eternal Density's ottification of xkcd 469 (Improvised)
ggh's OTColoured frame 480
jafloi's wood carving
ggh's OTTer wowterfall

And the nominees for "Best Creative Work (Written/Other)" are:

"The Alt-Text" - Rule110 (Poem ottification)
"Metal Molpies" - yappobiscuits (Song ottification/video)
"Rest With Me Here" - BlitzGirl and yappobiscuits (Original poem/song. Video by Latent22)
"Megan and Cue" - yappobiscuits (Song ottification/video)
"Every Newframe's Awefulsome" - ZoomanSP and yappobiscuits (Song ottification/video)
"We Love the Thread of Time" - BlitzGirl and yappobiscuits (Comic/song ottification)
"Acts of the Clerics" - ucim (Original stories/scripts)
"10,000 Frames" - Purplepants77 (Album ottification)
"Blitz Like The Wind" - yappobiscuits (Song ottification)
"Sandcastle Builder" - Eternal Density (Hotdog)

Best Decree: Of all the papal decrees, which was the most fun to follow, or produced the most interesting or most enjoyable responses?

The nominees are:

857: "In My Pants"
1233: Recommend a book
1293: OTColoured
1426: "Tell us how different or similar you are compared to your OTT or online persona."
1775: "Write your posts using the writing style of another OTTer"
1537: Captioned molpies
848: Double Dactyls
1095 (but not followed till 1096): Bring a Bear

Best Newpage(s): RELATED to the above, though this is for your favourite newpage or series of pages of the OTT not necessarily spawned through a treeish decree.

The nominees are:

-The first, or first few
-Starting from 1304 when ottifications of songs and othercomics started to become a thing.
-394 to 379/381 - The past-temporal-edit party for Blitzgirl and the BlitzGirl-LaPetite conspiracy.
-The Fading and post-fade: NP442 through 449. Blitzgirl's arrival, LaPetite dragging something to the castle at the end of the fading, and the comic continuing post-fade.
-467: The B*g Incident
-1000: Party!
-1300: Smiley repository
-621: The first molpy sighting and coining of the word molpy.

OTC Awards
Spoiler:
Favourite Newpix: Which frame of the comic is your favourite? (mscha numbering)

The nominees are:

33 (The first tower)
403 (Tiny trebuchet)
864 (Want to find out?)
970 (LaPetite)
1056 (Cue grabs Meg's arm at the river)
1503 (Wowtrees)
1885 (Megan in tree)
1917 (Facebug)
1936 (Wowterfall)
2115 (Thousand Lifetimes)
2228 (Lucky jumps on Cueball)
2263 (Cuegan closeness post-Lucky)
2371 (Sunset)
2440 and sub-frames (Meteor)
2825 (Real castle revealed)
2829 (Holding hands)
2901/2902 (Rosetta's map reveal)
2922 (RUN)
2989 (Chirpies fly away)
3031 (LaPetite's return)
3081 (Building another castle on the raft)
3087 (Let's see what's through here!)

Favourite Character: Who's your favourite character, human or molpy, from the comic?

The nominees are:

Megan
Cueball
LaPetite
Pricklymolp
Lucky
Amtoo
Rosetta
Expando

Outside Awards

(The outside may be heretical, but we all have to go there sometimes. Let's find out OTTer's favourite non-OTTish things from the past yip. You can vote for anything released from the beginning of Time up till now.)

Spoiler:
OTTers are clearly less heretical than I thought! Fewer people voted in these categories, so only a few nominees each.

Best Movie

The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug
Frozen
Ender's Hotdog
Gravity
~*~StAr TrEk InTo DaRkNeSs~*~

Best Music Album (Artist - Album)

Omnium Gatherum - Beyond
Avantasia - The Mystery of Time
Daft Punk - RandomAccessMemories
Pentatonix - PTX Vol. II
Bruce Springsteen - High Hopes
VNV Nation - Transnational
How to Destroy Angels - Welcome Oblivion
Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks

Best Video Hotdog

Sandcastle Builder
Sanctum 2
The Stanley Parable
Eden World Builder
The Last of Us

Best Book (Only two people voted in this category!)

Blood of Tyrants (Temeraire series) - Naomi Novik
The Martian - Andy Weir

Best TV Show

Game of Thrones
Community
The Tonight Show (Jimmy Fallon)
Sherlock
Winter Olympics coverage
Doctor Who
The Walking Dead
The Blacklist
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D
Fringe
Hannibal
Almost Human
Elementary
Grimm
Castle

Best OtherOthercomic:

Subnormality
Kieryn's newslides
Questionable Content
Nimona
Least I Could Do
ubersoft.net
Girl Genius
Darths and Droids
Square Root of Minus Garfield

Best Otherwebsite:

Drawception
TVTropes
Cracked
Google in Verbatim Mode (by adding "&tbs=li:1" to the end of the URL)
Grantland
Wikipedia
Build with Chrome
C**kie Clicker

It's All Related: For an outside something that is/became the most RELATED.

Drawception
Twitch Plays Pokemon
Pandas ch*rping to reproduce
Condiments (ketchup, m*stard…)
Iron SeaWolpy
Sagittarius
These cups that can be used for sandcastle building
An OTTer, in their votes wrote:Sunday I visited an artist who paints on tar. Her work is gorgeous, and her one-sentence blurb in the Miramar Peninsula Art Trail pamphlet is "I work with 'time', how we record the process of its passing."

Outside Treeishness Award: An extra award for any other outside thing you may have discovered and enjoyed that doesn't fit into the above categories.

A Dark Room (a text-based hotdog, part RPG, part SB-esque idle-hotdog. I'd not heard of it until someone voted for it here, and it's really treeish.)
Intel Haswell CPU with GT3e and Crystalwell
Dogecoin
RESET's successful campaign funding
Kieryn's newslides

Happy voting, and just ask if you have any further questions!
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:30 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: OTTscars Round 2!

Postby SBN » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:47 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Round 2 of voting for the OTTscars is upon us!

Thank you. (And don't forget to update your sig.)

Edit: Just going to leave this here, since it's related to the Lego discussion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=affb01V7KyA&feature=youtu.be.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:55 am UTC

Thanks SBN, I'd genuinely have forgotten if you hadn't reminded me! :)

Eternal Density

Thanks for your OTTscars work so far, yappo!

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:08 am UTC

Wow I'd forgotten that I'd made that!
I've probably forgotten most of my OTTifications, now that I think about it. Though if I think further I'll probably start remembering them.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:20 am UTC

I never had legos, but I did have Lincoln Logs. I used to build them in the fireplace, and that fireplace had a trap door into which you could sweep ashes. One of my pieces (I think it was a green roof slat) fell into it and I thought it was gone forever. Years later I discovered the basement access port where you could remove the ashes and throw them out. I presume my mom had rescued it for me and put it back without saying anything. (I don't remember if I actually looked for it there).

Treeish thing - when I put the wiki link together, I discovered they were designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:52 am UTC

Whoops, newpix 1885 was mislabelled as "dunejump" when it's actually "Megan in tree". Fixed now!

Eternal Density

Clever

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:28 am UTC

Kinda related to a former subject:

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0697

Postby mscha » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:30 am UTC

CLOTHONGS...
Spoiler:
-- posted by newpixbot

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:36 am UTC

Megan saving the day with a stick once again!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:48 am UTC

Just a quick suggestion for round 2 of the OTTscars:
What if we try, when we vote, to sort our up to three votes in descending order of treeishness (i.e., if your favourite newpix is 1936, the one you like second best is 403, and third-ranking is 2829, you vote like this: 1936, 403, 2829)? I strongly suggest that yappo still counts all votes with the value of 1 first (because it's diffcult to pick a favourite from all these options7 anyway), but just in case that two options get the same number of votes, we increase the chances of getting a clear result without the need for a third, jump-off round (which might be too close to the timiversary for all OTTers to participate) by assigning 3, 2, and 1 points, respectively, to the three votes whenever the voting in a category ended in a tie.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:38 am UTC

That might be a molpish idea, Zooman. I don't know how many OTTers voted, but I can see the votes accidentally resulting in a tie in some of the more seaish categories.

Thanks for the continued OTTscars work, yappo!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

Re: 1190: "Zanclean Zodiac"; ᔪ--

Postby azule » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:55 am UTC

« Frame 12: NP1792:1 | Frame 14: NP1804:15

The Zanclean Zodiac

Life in the valley soon began to flourish, from blooming flowers to ᘊᐣᖽᘈᕋ. Soon, though, ᖽᘊᐣᖽᘈᕋ were everywhere. While a million flowers wasn't a problem, a million ᘊᐣᖽᘈᕋ was. It soon became out of control.

I'm not trying to trick y'all.

Edit: Added next and previous frame links.
Last edited by azule on Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:13 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:42 am UTC

A million molpies of any kind can definitely cause chaos.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”