1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mrob27

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mrob27 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:49 am UTC

UNSUNG

(NOTE: I UNG'd this too early :oops:, spoiler-ed it, then at the UNG when no-one else had posted, I un-spoilered it)

Oh and ummm... Image : How many OTTish words have you added to your spell-checker dictionary? (or share any other anecdotes of how you've modified your toolchain to suit the needs of being an OTTer! Image)

-

Let's see, how did I do this before? *looks up* oh, yes, chronological.

On NP1468, I reached this:

BlitzGirl wrote:
mikrit wrote:
Spoiler:
mrob27 wrote: ... Ah, well, I guess I am [a big geek]. When I realized how many classmates, relatives, former co-workers etc. saw me in that xkcd it kinda freaked me out (and I remembered how rarely I see a name in xkcd unless it's someone I already know about). But then I responded the way any geek would, adapting my website to handle the xkcd traffic, and a marathon session of learning PHP and SQL to put the RIES program online. And of course I made a T-shirt.

WHAT!? Did you put GLR in the comfy chair and throwed slightly stale M&Ms at him?

Thanks for my LOL for the dip, mikrit! Image

Now I look at this image and it looks kinda crude. It's the first manip of an OtherComic I ever did (1 yip before Time). Here it is again, hopefully a little less ambiguous: :D

I passed another of my Time-Capsules and one of my favorite retrOTTifications, Model Castle. I worked a long time on that one, learning how to use SketchBook Pro on the iPad, and developing several new techniques including a tool that makes a PNG transparent and another that uses one PNG as a "c**kie-cutter" to snip out a portion of another PNG. I still don't use any "real" editor like Photoshop, GIMP or Paint.NET.

More Present Stuff:

I've pretty much recovered from the S**ness, but I was feeling pretty ε for most of the mornix. During that first nopix or so after Cleveland was unleashed, I kept suspecting my use of Unicode U+200D. Of course it was a silly theory, and actually pretty funny. Thus, my OTTification of OtherComic 292 :
200D
Some people think it's funny to label this place 'Cleveland'

A little more ketchup brought me this:

BlitzGirl wrote:
Image ... Don't Worry; Feed Squirpys ... Image
(to the tune of Don't Worry; Be Happy)
. . .

and this:

yappobiscuits wrote:
OTTer Nation
I'm sure most of you will know this one, but just in case...

Thanks, my squirpies and I needed those! :)

BlitzGirl wrote: You're right.
  And now I'm going on a tangent talking about your post that says we're going on a tangent about going on a tangent...

Hmmm... not a tangent, it's an

mrob27 wrote:
mrob27 wrote:
mrob27 wrote: exponential exponential exponential exponential exponential exponential exponential exponential

scurvy scurvy pirate.

macraw83 wrote: Does anyone have another one of those fancy "thread postrate" charts?

My bot nopixbot generates this report, which @BlitzGirl linked to a pricklymolp Image. It would be up to someone else to make it into a chart or graph.

And, ... hey, I'm ketched up! For now at least :)

P.S. New word mappings: otter → Duck, ottish → Duckish (partly postninja'd by Yappo, hi Yappo!)

mrob27 Image

Edits: As before, I'm using Stumbit as my Preview.

Retro-edit for Blitzers:
At this point, having just discovered the "duck" filters mentioned in my P.S., I changed my avatar to look like this:

and the little status line in my signature got little ducks, changing from something like this:

to this:

(but in both cases, the actual numbers and date were being updated live)

Spoiler:
mrob-0149-mention-2b.png
OTTification of mrob-ification of xkcd 149
mrob-0149-mention-2b.png (54.7 KiB) Viewed 13310 times

ott-0292-goto.png
OTTification of xkcd 292 by mrob27

Squirpy-L.gif
squirpy facing left
Squirpy-L.gif (378 Bytes) Viewed 13310 times

Squirpy-R.gif
squirpy facing right
Squirpy-R.gif (376 Bytes) Viewed 13310 times

mrob27-20140401.0224.gif
duckified bananafied piratized avatar of mrob27, 2014-04-01 at 0621 UTC
mrob27-20140401.0224.gif (24.09 KiB) Viewed 12530 times

20140401 duck sig.png
blitz-status line of mrob27, with rubber duckies
20140401 duck sig.png (3.56 KiB) Viewed 12530 times
Last edited by mrob27 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:27 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:00 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:Oh an' ummm... Image : How many Duckish word dem have you added to you spell-checker dictionary? (or share any udder anecdotes ah how you modified you toolchain to suit de needs ah a be an Duck! Image

Oh hey, we're ducks now!
Anyway, I've certainly added "molpy" which kept getting autocorrected to "molly".
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

HES

Postby HES » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:02 am UTC

For pope (who still has my papal hat, it seems), None. My posts are embellished by wingish squiggly red beesnake flights.

Now to take a minicoma before this briefcase handover.
He/Him/His Image

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:16 am UTC

macraw83 wrote:
SBN wrote:I be a look for laptops, an' no completely adverse to learning to build one, but, one ah dem be for a someone else, an' one ting me nuh wan be for deh a be any room for it a be me fault if it nuh do wa he wants. I may well investigate building one for myself, as well as Mint or Ubuntu. udder dan a screen dat be no friendly for viewing Zanclean Zodiac type images, an' a weird noise dat so far goes away whenever I Bach up me files dis one be currently a wuk, so I have some time. me nuh need a particularly powerful one, most ah wa I do be read Cleveland, Ohio, an' stalk me kids pon Facebook. (an' some game obsessions, but nuhting dat takes a whole lot ah bells or whistles.)

In dat case, you be pretty much stuck wid buying one. While it be possible to build a laptop, deh no nearly de selection ah desktops, an' last time I checked it didn't save you much, if any. dat an' it a bit more difficult an' inconvenient.

I have an HP Elitebook 8770w. It is big, but it can (for a price) offer you a wonderful RGB screen with 30-bit resolution (all the better to watch XKCD with) and it is very upgradable later on, without having to remove 320+ little screws of different sizes. It is also not cheap, but it is wonderfully reliable so far. It has a little brother, the 8570w which is a tad bit cheaper.

For work, I have a Dell Latitude E6430. That's also not a bad laptop, no problems so far. Stay away from the XPS series from Dell. They look nice and spiffy but are not really sturdy.

The IBM/Lenovo T-series used to be build to last as well.

Hope this helps,

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:26 am UTC

Good luck with handing over your briefcase, HES!

For pope: Looks like "Molpish" and "Vitssågen" have also been added to mine!

Finally, I've just had some thoughts on how we're perceived by the rest of the fora. Don't worry, it's not anything to do with the s**ness and is not an angry/sad/dead-equimolp-thwapping post at all, just general musings, but spoilered just in case you'd still rather avoid such things.
Spoiler:
One often wonders why a community that is so inclusive, positive and friendly gets such negative reactions and harsh criticism from a few people… Sure, the way we do things around here might not appeal to them personally, but when something doesn't appeal to me personally I don't complain or say mean things about it, I just ignore it and let it be.

But I've been thinking, and I do have an idea for a possible reason why some people might be so put off by us. I think it might be to do with the way we talk about outside things as if they're heretical, and against the OTTish way. Sure the whole outside/heresy thing is all just a part of the humour, part of the mock religion, and isn't remotely serious, but we do go on about it an awful lot. Say if I were a newbie, and I enjoyed Time but didn't think it was the best xkcd comic ever, but still fancied discussing it, I'd definitely feel intimidated entering into a community where it's hailed as the "One True Comic" and anyone who says otherwise is a "heretic", even if it is just a joke. Of course we are hugely welcoming as a community, and accept newbies with open arms, but again if I were that newbie I think that would also intimidate me to an extent, if I didn't really want to be an OTTer but just wanted to discuss the comic a little bit. I'd be a little scared, after making my first post, to be smothered by everyone and hailed as a "revealer the recent". It could be a little overwhelming.

I dunno, part of me thinks we shouldn't feel forced to change our ways just because of what some other people think - that's part of being a geek, celebrating being passionate about weird or uncool things despite how others may judge you for it - xkcd fans of all people should understand and respect that. But maybe we should think about toning down some things just to avoid intimidating anyone. Not making an order here, just something to think about.

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0812

Postby mscha » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:30 am UTC

GROWONGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:43 am UTC

slinches wrote:For de pope:
pon de first dip ah April a prankster gave to me ... a google maps hotdog for hunting molpies.

(pokemolps, a be precise)

:) That's what I've spent all dip doing. (I also needed a dip Outside to decompress after the stress of the Sadness.) I worked together with a former Twitch Plays Pokemon chat room, and we finally got all 150! :mrgreen: Didn't have to rely on a single outside source. It was quite fun. And my Silly Molpy Dip didn't even begin until a couple of nopix ago, so I have that to look forward to. Yay!

Ketchup coming soon to a post near you.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:55 am UTC

I also used Pokemolp to de-s**ness myself, but rather than playing Google's hotdog I continued my ongoing blitz of the TV series. :D

mscha

Time Revisited - np294

Postby mscha » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:10 am UTC

PEKUNGESES...

Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by oldpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:17 am UTC

Treeish, yappo! :)

Spoilers for the Googlehunt ending:
Spoiler:
I just found Mew in the app too, entirely by accident. The last Pokemolp I found to complete the dex was Turtwig in one of the the leaf volcanoes (rainforests) of South America, and I was swiping around on my MobileTimeAccessor a few minips ago to see if there were any other molps hidden so sneakily (Turtwig was seaishly hard to find) when hey, there was Mew not half a swipe away! It was really epsilon. I wasn't expecting it.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

micdi

Postby micdi » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:21 am UTC

Soooo, I have been slacking it seems still at NP300-something with my blitz, but I will continue someday.
Got reminded by the Emails :P
Blitzing the OTT (hibernating).
Sometimes flickering into the Present.

micdi

Postby micdi » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:24 am UTC

Oh, and molpish belated Timesversary, everymolpy!
(uh, idk wether this is the correct lingo)
Blitzing the OTT (hibernating).
Sometimes flickering into the Present.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:29 am UTC

All lingo is correct, and if it isn't, ni ni ni doodlecabra otterduck. :D (We don't mind.)

It's wowterful to see you again, micdi!

Edit: I think I'm going to hold off on ketchup until after I molpy down and up again. I'm too near-coma to be pastposting properly at Present. And alas! also alliterating. Coma commence!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:55 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
azule wrote:Oh how many times I've thought "why did I decide to not post while I finished this project". I've felt a lot of demotivating loneliness (the loss of connection to the OTTers I'm doing this for). *sigh* I won't be doing it that way again. Ever.

QFT
Oh yeah....then, I've "changed my mind". I will release my next thingie when it's ready. In the mean time, I will post. :)

Kudos, Earthling on your latest Dark Lord. It feels like we're nearing the flood now.

ChrDr, molpish review/ketchup. Neat format.

Balthabeard, did you get a... haircut?

micdi wrote:Oh, an' molpish belated Timesversary, everymolpy!
(uh, idk wether dis be de correct lingo)
Besides the inexplicable extra s there, yes, you're on track. Welcome back and thanks.

mrob27 wrote:Here it is again, hopefully a little less ambiguous: :D

Cool. The notes make it funnier.

Haha, the U+200D+locked thread comic was funny. Now. ;)

Oh, damn you. You inspired me to do ‮.LTR

Edit: included more content.

Spoiler:
ltr-OdeTiTy.png
Did you notice the Javascript (is supposed to be str.replace(/\B/g,"‍\u200d"))?
ltr-OdeTiTy.png (11.93 KiB) Viewed 13065 times

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

StormAngel

Re: I will ALWAYS expect de Peliarian Inquisition

Postby StormAngel » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:35 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
adnapemit wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:here.

Eternal Density Signature wrote:
Spoiler:
Happy April 1st to all!!

WHYYYYYYYYYYYY !!!!?!!!?!? do I STILL click dese. I KNOW weh dey lead. I even hover over to read de url.
it like I be hoping dat one day de video goin change.I miss StormAngel

Oh an' to anyone who hasn't clicked de links please do. dey lead to an awesome video. Best video ever.
StormAngel made someting Duckish recently but he hasn't yet had an opportunity to upload it. Maybe Me goin get him to pass it along to me.

Thanks for the kind sword, adnapemiT! I miss Time too. Have you seen this video yet?

Here's the OTTification that ED mentioned:

Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order, Protector of Othamburg
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:41 am UTC

Oh hey it's a StormAngel! Haven't seen one of those in a long time! :mrgreen:
Great OTTercomics from you and azule too! :mrgreen:

StormAngel

Postby StormAngel » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:49 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Oh hey it a StormAngel! nuh seen one ah dem in a long time! :mrgreen:
Great OTTercomics from you an' azule too! :mrgreen:

Really? I see 'em every day!

I actually animated that with my video editing software, not my usual image editor :)
If you hadn't guessed already, its based on #1264 with references to #148 and #1350
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order, Protector of Othamburg
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:52 am UTC

1350 is one of my favourite othercomics!

adnapemit

Postby adnapemit » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:55 am UTC

StormAngel wrote:
tanks for de kind sword, adnapemiT! I miss Time too. Have you seen dis video yet?

Here's de OTTification dat ED mentioned:

Yay StormAngel!
You can't fool me I won't click it...
Oh Randammit I just clicked it.

Also pricklymolpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpymolpy molpy molpy molpy In your pants
Empress adnapemit "Nancy" "Time Panda"
[adnapemit|timepanda]
Does anyone actually read signatures?

mscha

Time Revisited - np296

Postby mscha » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:10 am UTC

FAWNUNGNESS...

Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by oldpixbot

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:36 am UTC

Just dropping in to put in a plug for a potentially heretical site: StackOverflow now has a feature allowing you to either buy or mine Unicoins (cheerfully imprinted with, what else, unicorns).
You can use Unicoins to do all sorts of (chirpish) things to reputation, avatars, and so on. Sure beats getting mod-translated!
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0813

Postby mscha » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:30 pm UTC

DAMAGONGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:49 pm UTC

HES wrote:Nope, actual notebook
Yes, I caught that (but then forgot). However, in the notebook is a drawing of a notebook. I think that's just a drawing. In the notebook. Of a notebook. Indicating that the doomed Beanie was taking notes. Alas, now he's singing them in the celestial choir.

BlueCrab wrote:I knew an old lady who tried to swallow Lucky. They never did find all of her body.
Nice!

azule wrote:Kudos, Earthling on your latest Dark Lord. It feels like we're nearing the flood now.
I wonder if this can be applied to the SilentOngs too... is the story they are telling pre-flood? Is the Blue Cave part of the failed dam? Geographically it's in the wrong spot, but perhaps it's RELATED? In any case, this is getting more and more steakish - great work SilentTimer!

Welcome back StormAngel!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

mrob27

Postby mrob27 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:00 pm UTC

YOUNGFUSTIC

The seemingly-interminable mound-building continues...

To spice it up a bit, here's a young fustic manip of that frame (my first OTColored, yayyy! :D)

The transparency is deliberate: Cuegan's sky will be whatever colour your browser has as the background (normally light blue, if quoted beige, etc... :D) I made it with my png-c**kiecutter script from the original frame and the other attachment in the spoiler below...

And now, to the present-ketchup:

yappobiscuits wrote: ... I'd definitely feel intimidated entering into a community where it's hailed as the "One True Comic" and anyone who says otherwise is a "heretic", even if it is just a joke. ...

You speak the truth! I was still pretty bothered by it as late as Newpage 1453 (2 wips after I started reading and participating) and my response was to address @Valarya's comment on "Ŋewṗixianŝ" by inventing the character Timborme — with a very long and serious attendant explanation.

azule wrote: Haha, the U+200D+locked thread comic was funny. Now. ;)

:D yeah, once the water rolled off my back I remembered that I'm a duck, and can handle the rising sea quite swimmingly.
Oh, ch*rp you. You inspired me to do ‮.LTR‬
Spoiler:

:lol: The U+202E in your "RTL." was a nice touch.

And spoiled for meta-joke-dissection:
Spoiler:
mrob27 wrote: Here it is again, hopefully a little less ambiguous: :D

Cool. The notes make it funnier.
Yeah, I was hoping for that. I'm making a joke out of the idea that explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog (you understand it better but the frog dies in the process). Which I've just gone and done again, oh well, water off a duck's back right?

mrob27 Image

Edits: I uploaded the intermediate step of making the OTColored, but not the final :oops:; forgot to put final stage within redundaspoiler

Spoiler:
fr0298-youngfustic.png
intermesiate step in the OTColored

fr0298-youngfustic-UNG.png
the same, before Megan was made opaque again

fr0298-meganfix.png
OTColored of frame M298 by mrob27
Last edited by mrob27 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:12 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:07 pm UTC

I think part of the reason some don't like us is that we move so fast. I distinctly remember someone complaining that they got notifications of new posts, and were excited, only to find it was just us. I guess it makes it more annoying to follow something they care about if we are always at the top of the forum.

And the fact that we tend not to go out into the rest of the forum, the fact that we mostly signed up because of TIME, etc., only contribute to the isolation.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:18 pm UTC

My phone has learned molpy, OTT, OTC, and more all on its own! On my pc there's a folder called "dONG" for all my ottifications, called as such because the first thing it contained was my animated ONGing. But try explaining that name to outsiders!

To Infinite: great game! A shame the Rapture Dlc was so mediocre. (The first one, anyway. Not getting the other.)

Edit: Draco I think is more close to the truth on why people don't like us. The religion thing is pretty obviously humor (was to me when I joined anyway, and the main reason for it). I think we're just sort of big and scary and loud and to ourselves. But it's not really been much of a problem, has it?
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:32 pm UTC

Spoilered reply to Dracomax's points:
Spoiler:
Dracomax wrote:I tink part ah de reason some nuh like ahbe be dat we move so fast. I distinctly remember someone complaining dat dey got notifications ah new post dem, an' were rassclaat, only a find it was just ahbe. I guess it makes it more annoying to follow someting dey care about if we be always at de top ah de forum.

True. We try our hardest not to annoy or interfere with the rest of the forum but I guess this is one thing that can't be helped. This would only be solved if we eventually moved to our own seperate location (which, while it would have its benefits for both us and the rest of the forum, has its downsides too, such as being harder for potential new people to discover, and we'd have to maintain it ourselves...)

Dracomax wrote:an' de fact dat we tend no a go out into de rest ah de forum, de fact dat we mostly signed up because ah TIME, etc., only contribute to de isolation.

I still don't think this is a good reason to dislike us. It would be like saying "you're a member of the xkcd forums but not the Questionable Content forums? Why? There's a whole world of webcomic forums out there, you shouldn't just stick to one!" The OTT is a seperate community to the rest of the fora, with a very different atmosphere and (for the most part) different people. Sure, we're hosted on the same forums, but it'd be a lie to say it's not a different community. And there shouldn't be anything wrong with that. Using the same example as above, the Questionable Content forums are a seperate and different community to the xkcd forums, but nobody has a problem with that or calls them "isolated" or "cultish", because it's hosted on a different site. I really don't think the fact we're hosted on the same site should give anyone reason to have a problem with the fact we're a different community.

I dunno, maybe you're right and people do dislike us for that reason, but I just think it's an irrational and illogical reason. :P

Anyway, I dunno, maybe I'm just getting too bothered about what seems to just be a vocal minority. I'm just one of those people who tries too hard to please everyone and doesn't like anyone disliking me or a group I'm in... I'm not proud of it, I wish I wasn't that way because it's not good for my happiness, but yeah it's just how I am. So I get easily worried into trying to change peoples' negative perceptions, even if they are just a vocal minority. I suppose, if you don't think it's a big problem, just don't mind me. :P
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ggh

Related zooishness

Postby ggh » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:40 pm UTC

Semi-blindposting....

So, when the thread was closed, the Little Wonder and I headed for the zoo. We found much relatedness.

Spoiler:
Right near the entrance of Wellington zoo are the otters. If they're not putting on a mad show underwater, they're generally not hard to spot playing or relaxing on the rocks. The otters were nowhere to be seen. We looked and looked.

We did have a good time watching the squirrel monkeys, and then we stumbled upon our first dragon:

This sign gave me a familiar feeling.
I looked up into the trees, but saw no panda, backwards or otherwise. No mammoths or croissants either.

We did spot a possible girlfriend for Vytron...
peahen_sm.jpg
peahen_sm.jpg (46.06 KiB) Viewed 12806 times

And apparently the giraffes are quite related (sentences 2 and 3):

We've got an Aussie section now, so we got to see a roomolp,
and our second dragon:

Then, well, there was a little mustard, and we stopped in to a rest room for a nappy change. It turned out that fresh pants were also needed, and, with all the stuff in my nappy bag, somehow I didn't have a spare pair in there. Maybe I had confused BlitzGirl's request to avoid bags in my pants. So, we went back out to visit the car to grab some, twice passing the otter enclosure, and twice, seeing no otters.

Afterwards, we had fun checking out the meerkats and the porcupine I posted the quills of a few pages ago, and then - not very exotic, but very related - we saw this goat:
goat_sm.jpg
goat_sm.jpg (19.67 KiB) Viewed 12806 times

Check out his elaborate dwelling though - it made me wonder if he was a pope that got goated.

Lions, chimps, dingos - heaps of cool molpies. The baboons all seemed quite agro, and quite erect. I'm not saying that's related, but it was pretty epsilon. There's another place up the hill where you can try to see the pandas, and we did, but boy, it was difficult, and harder still to get a photo. This was the best I could do.
I conclude that I had trouble parsing the avatar because red pandas are hard to focus on by nature.

We also saw one of those legless lizards I think we discussed during the SNAKE period, scorpions, and some tarantulas Valarya would have loved.
And then, we saw our third dragon:
I'm not entirely sure why that statue would be in the zoo, other than to complete the set.

When it was time to go, we passed again by the otters. This time they were there, having a fine old time. The frolicked on the land, making a racket that sounded a lot like birds, and I said aloud, "I didn't know otters chirped," to the person next to me. Then I heard myself. :)
The otters dove in the water and frolicked with mad grace and enthusiasm.
When we got home, I wasn't at all surprised to see that the OTT had been reopened. :)

redundant:
Spoiler:
Gee, I wouldn't call this one redundant:
This one is though:

noOtters_sm.jpg
dragon1_sm.jpg
probablyNot_sm.jpg
giraffeSign_sm.jpg
roo_sm.jpg
dragon2_sm.jpg
wdSign_sm.jpg
goatedPope.jpg
IMG_0195.JPG
lionNads_sm.jpg
blurryPanda.jpg
dragon3_sm.jpg
ottersBack_sm.jpg

Edit: mostly to correct a few image mismatches.
Last edited by ggh on Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:53 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:47 pm UTC

"I didn't know otters chirped!" - I love this quote. :mrgreen:
Also love the RELATED-ness of the giramolpy's sign!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:49 pm UTC

Molpish adventure, ggh!
*Zooman approves* :)
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

macraw83

Re: exosyzygy

Postby macraw83 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:53 pm UTC

HES wrote:
macraw83 wrote:Sounds like you be a tek dat **ding much better dan I took de Mass Effect 3 **ding, which to dis day be de only time Me felt anyting worse dan indifference towards a hotdog's **ding

de original *nding or de slightly improved *nding? It didn't bother me so much since de rest ah de hotdog was so molpish.

SG1 was awesome.

Don't get me wrong, the Mass Effect series is among my favorite hotdogs to this day (both of the first two are at the top of my Steam list if sorted by playtime, with over 140 newpix each). I pre-ordered the third one and beat it a wip later, and was severely disappointed by the **ding but won't get into specifics, those are chronicled in depth a few places online. (Ok, maybe I will say a couple things: I felt that the final decision was too simple and the end result of the game literally didn't hinge on any decision you had made up to that point, which to me was terrible considering that the entire trilogy was based on how your decisions changed the galaxy. I also felt that the "final decision" didn't really change much either, just one or two bits from the final cutscene, with no real exposition on how the galaxy was affected.)

I also didn't feel that the "Extended Cut" didn't address some of my major complaints, but I have talked to others who didn't finish it until after the "Extended Cut" version was released, and they have said that it seemed fine to them, so I suppose that may boil down to first impressions and whatnot, or maybe they went into it expecting something terrible so anything better is ok.

Also, molpish molpy-hunting trip, ggh! I especially like the "chriping otters" quote, since IT'S ALL RELATED
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

mscha

Time Revisited - np299

Postby mscha » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:10 pm UTC

TUNGE...

Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by oldpixbot

Dracomax

Re: exosyzygy

Postby Dracomax » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:18 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:
HES wrote:
macraw83 wrote:Sounds like you be a tek dat **ding much better dan I took de Mass Effect 3 **ding, which to dis day be de only time Me felt anyting worse dan indifference towards a hotdog's **ding

de original *nding or de slightly improved *nding? It didn't bother me so much since de rest ah de hotdog was so molpish.

SG1 was awesome.

nuh get me wrong, de Mass Effect series be among me favorite hotdogs to dis day (bote ah de first two be at de top ah me Steam list if sorted by playtime, wid over 140 newpix each). I pre-ordered de tuhd one an' beat it a wip later, an' was severely disappointed by de **ding but won't get into specifics, dem be chronicled in depth a few places online. (Ok, maybe I goin say a couple ting dem: I felt dat de final decision was too simple an' de end result ah de game literally didn't hinge pon any decision you had made up to dat point, which to me was terrible considering dat de entire trilogy was based pon how you decisions changed de galaxy. I also felt dat de "final decision" didn't really change much either, just one or two bits from de final cutscene, wid no real exposition pon how de galaxy was affected.)

I also didn't feel dat de "Extended Cut" didn't address some ah me major complaints, but I have talked to udders who didn't finish it till after de "Extended Cut" version was released, an' dey have said dat it seemed fine to dem, so I suppose dat may boil down to first impressions an' whatnot, or maybe dey went into it expecting someting terrible so anyting better be ok.

Also, molpish molpy-hunting trip, ggh! I especially like de "chriping Ducks" quote, since it ALL RELATED

Honestly, My biggest problem with the original *nding to ME3 Hotdog was that it failed as an ending. It failed to be a climax, although I suppose you could say the climax was the boss fight at the illusive man's base. but mostly, no ending provided a good sense of catharsis. They all just kind of...stopped, leaving you to figure things out and decide what happened. The extended ending, while not being substantially different in terms of story, at least fixed the most glaring structural problems.

And for those who want to say that "the entire game was the ending" I can only shake my head and sigh. yes, the entire game was the ending to the trilogy. that doesn't excuse it for not having a beginning, middle, and end with good storytelling on its own. It was released as "epilogue" DLC. It was a complete game, and as an individual work, it should be able to stand alone without having to justify its own ending as irrelevant because it tied the bow on the other two games.

As a game where they worked very hard to make it stand on its own, it should stand on its own. It mostly does. The original ending failed at that.

And to go further on a tangent, I hate when books, movies, etc. don't have developed story structure. I don't give a chirping end if it is supposed to be part of a series. it isn't a chapter in a book. If it is a whole book(or movie, or game) it needs to have beginning, middle, climax, and end. Do it right, or don't do it. there is nothing more infuriating than reaching the end of a work and saying, what? that's it? But nothing happened/was resolved!

This does not, of course, refer to hotdogs which do not have a plot. Remember, people. Plot is a tool to be used well, not crutch to ignore for money.
/rant.

Molpy molpy molpy molpy motherchirping grapevine, grapevine, chirpit.
“have i gone mad?

HES

Hi StormAngel!

Postby HES » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:19 pm UTC

Just got back from my interview... I did really well at all the hard questions, but stumbled (as usual) on the "easy" ones. This kinda confused the interviewer, but he gave me an opportunity to explain myself and convince him. They said good things. I'll know by othercomic 1351.

Response to yappo's not-the-sadness-but-about-the-fora thing: I think it's fairly easy to misinterpret what is a very, very in depth and long running joke. I certainly wouldn't choose to name this place the "One True Thread". It's just the OTT as far as I'm concerned. *ducks from barrage of imaginary candies*

aszule wrote:Besides de inexplicable extra s deh, yes, you be pon track.

Never underestimate the value of addistional s's

ucim wrote:
HES wrote:Nope, actual notebook
Yes, I caught dat (but den forgot). However, in de notebook be a drawing ah a notebook. I tink dat's just a drawing. In de notebook. ah a notebook. Indicating dat de doomed Beanie was a tek notes. Alas, now he be singing dem in de celestial choir.

Ah, yes. I was talking about the notebook she was drawing in, and you were talking about the notebook she was drawing the beanie drawing in in the notebook she was drawing in.

My favourite thing about obscure subject headers is watching them propagate into unrelated discussions :D
He/Him/His Image

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:26 pm UTC

Thanks, guys! And sorry there were no turtlemolps, Zooman.

Jose reminded me that I wanted to tell Blue Crab how much I enjoyed her otty.

And, yay! StormAngel!

But, so tired... must molpy down... why do I keep staying up 'til after 3?
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

HES

Postby HES » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:30 pm UTC

ggh wrote:But, so tired... must molpy down... why do I keep staying up 'til after 3?

This caught me out because it's also just after 3 here. Whose idea was it to use half a planetary rotation as the basis for a rotating chronological awareness device?
He/Him/His Image

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:30 pm UTC

ggh wrote:tanks, guys! an' sorry deh were no turtlemolps, Zooman.

Jose reminded me dat I wanted a tell protoceratops cyan Crab how much I enjoyed she otty.

an', yay! StormAngel!

But, so tired... must molpy down... why do I keep staying up 'til after 3?

When I do that, it is because I was feeling tired around 9, but got into something, and at some point about 20 minutes after I should be in bed, I hit a second wind and don't feel tired. Which means that I get even more into whatever I am doing, and next thing I know, it is 2 or 3 in the mornip.
“have i gone mad?

yappobiscuits

Re: Hi StormAngel!

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:32 pm UTC

HESS wrote:Just got Bach from me interview... I did really well at all de hard questions, but stumbled (as usual) pon de "easy" ones. dis kinda confused de interviewer, but he gave me an opportunity to explain myself an' convince him. dey said jammin ting dem. Me goin know by othercomic 1351.

Ah well, if you did well on the hard ones I'd say that's a success. Good luck anyway!
HESSSSS wrote:
ggh wrote:But, so tired... must molpy down... why do I keep staying up 'til after 3?

dis caught me out because it also just after 3 here. Whose idea was it a use half a planetary rotation as de basis for a rotating chronological awareness device?
Rotating Chronological Awareness Device, another hit from Vital Hotdog Function!
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HES

Postby HES » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:33 pm UTC

*poders whether he can fit that to a certain coldplay song*

AWFULSOME new othercomic

I have not manipulated this image in any way.
He/Him/His Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:50 pm UTC

Called it!
yappobiscuits wrote:1350 be one ah me favourite othercomics!

This is brilliant, possibly the best xkcd since Time itself! Also, Beanie!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”