1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ChronosDragon

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:22 am UTC

Well, credit where it's due. Insistence from the mods has led me to discover the Fictional Science subforum, which is a whole storehouse of wonderful thought experiments not unlike what-ifs, but on every subject imaginable. Good source for reading list additions, too.

Oh, and I never said, but happy postmark, BlitzGirl!

Spoiler:

ETA:
DragonPope! Image
Decree: Post a thought experiment, idea, or concept that's off-the-wall but somewhat based in reality.

Per decree: What if in some kind of Zanclean Flood type event, a group of nomadic people living in the basin of what is presently the Mediterranean were forced to evacuate to a coastal area where the descendents of Southern Europeans had taken up residence in the Chateau D'Ilf?

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0828

Postby mscha » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:30 am UTC

OCTONGENARY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:16 am UTC

So hard to ketchp! So much to read, here and also there!
And then I saw azule's ketchup post, and I thought, Chirp! Why is that so long?!!??
And then I read his comments on the great otties and jokes and contributions that I enjoyed but didn't have it together enough to mention, and I just wanna say, What he said.

Hmm, I should link that....

ET link that
Last edited by ggh on Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:20 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

I like Bell's Ark.

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:19 am UTC

I seem to have missed this one:
Spoiler:
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

ergman

Puzzles of Perception

Postby ergman » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:52 am UTC

whoah.. that is epsilonish, Aluisio. Ima have to look that up.

per decree:
Spoiler:
one of the hotdog concepts that twirls in my head (there are many) would probably make for a mindch*rp greater than Antichamber. namely, creating a puzzle game that is so abstract that the puzzle is actually figuring out what is being displayed to you and how to control it. For example, moving on a grid of color and pitch instead of length and width. The idea is to see how unrelatable an environment can be and still be comprehensible. this idea is about in the middle of the sliding scale of probability it will ever get made.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

ChronosDragon

Re: Puzzles of Perception

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:00 am UTC

ergman wrote:per decree:
Spoiler:
one of the hotdog concepts that twirls in my head (there are many) would probably make for a mindch*rp greater than Antichamber. namely, creating a puzzle game that is so abstract that the puzzle is actually figuring out what is being displayed to you and how to control it. For example, moving on a grid of color and pitch instead of length and width. The idea is to see how unrelatable an environment can be and still be comprehensible. this idea is about in the middle of the sliding scale of probability it will ever get made.

That sounds wowterful. I love abstract puzzle games. You might be able to generalize it to games that take place on various representations of space, and slowly introduce each method before combining them in different ways. Length, Width, Depth, Color, Shading, Pitch...Sound? who knows.

mscha

Time Revisited - np360

Postby mscha » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:10 am UTC

CHIMICHUNGAS...

Spoiler:
Wait for it.
AUTOMOME wrote:DAMNIT JIM, I'M A COMA, NOT A GOAT

-- posted by oldpixbot

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:31 am UTC

Dammit oldpixbot, I'm an OTTer, not a TimeAccessor.

It's quiet tonight.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:35 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Dammit oldpixbot, I'm an OTTer, not a TimeAccessor.

It's quiet tonight.

... *chirp*
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

AluisioASG

Is anyone else having problems with 408s?

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:51 am UTC

"I should be studying for a test about trees, but here am I"{", c",". C"}"hirping trees."

AUTOMOME seems to have a strong opinion on SHE-BANGS IS PIG DISGUSTING. Hm, hamplies too.
Last edited by AluisioASG on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:58 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Selecting new quote…

moody7277

Re: Time After Time: t1i-0825

Postby moody7277 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:57 am UTC

waveney wrote:
mscha wrote:SMATTERONGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

TIC ... TIC ... TIC is a raptor warning signal issued by many passerines (song raptors) that there is some sort of danger around. When raptors make it, young raptors in nests go silent and all raptors in earshot enter a state of alertness. It works across most spieces, an alarm for one is an alarm for all.

So...more foreshadowing? Night also seems to be falling really fast.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

AluisioASG

How to 3D-print an OTTer

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:00 am UTC

Will we have stars?

NOOOO THEY BE CH*RPING MY OTTER That despite the fact SEAISH OTTERS ARE SUPERIOR.
Last edited by AluisioASG on Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Selecting new quote…

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:03 am UTC

rvloon wrote:Unless I am very much mistaken (and I lack the time to do the research), the common ground for being a member of the forum in the first place is the 'love' for XKCD comics. Or at the very least, a (strong) feeling about them.

I may have liked the comic when I joined, but I don't pay much attention to it nowadays.
SBN wrote:I think the city analogy holds, with maybe a bit of regionalism thrown in. Where I live now, no matter how much I like it, I am never going to completely fit in. As soon as I open my mouth, they know I'm not from around here. There's no real hostility, I'm just, not from here. I sort of feel the same way when I do venture into other areas of the fora. They just have to look at my Join date, not even my sig, and "Oh, it's an OTTer." Not hostile (usually), just 'other'. Could I over come that? Sure. Have I found other places it was worth it to me to go through the effort? No. I do feel vaguely bad for anyone that joined last March for non-Time reasons.

I think you're vastly overestimating the attention we pay to this thread.
azule wrote:Should I be posting that here too/instead?

I'd prefer that you limit Beanish analysis to the Beanish thread, as I don't cherish the thought of reading the non-Beanish parts of this thread.
macraw83 wrote:
azule wrote:I actually started working on a HTML/JS scrabble board long ago. EVERYTHING IS RELATED SO THERE! Well, anyways, it's not done, but I could work on it and ... what would be OTTified? The rules?

That and the word list. And maybe the border of the game board would have some OTTish designs.

I'm thinking the word list should be limited to words that have appeared somewhere in the OTT. That'll be fun.

ETA: Thanks to our friends "42guests" and "42 guests", sometimes when I scroll to the bottom I read the "n guests" bit as another delurker.

If you're only allowing Timeish words, you may need to adjust the letter distribution. I suspect that it won't be necessary, as Timeish still feels closer to English than Frisian, but I've not actually run the numbers.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:11 am UTC

New Othercomic.

The RecursUNG is nigh!

Oh hey, mrob? For some reason your tracking of Time on the ott-rate-stats was changed from newpix (np 9200) to outsider (20140403.20:04:48) and it looks like that extended date is covering up the posts/np column. The columns on this page also look a bit epsilon.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0829

Postby mscha » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:30 am UTC

VIKONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:55 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Spoiler:
Now, there's the N&A and the SB crowd. They aren't 1:1 the same, but there's a lot of overlap. The Science and Math forums have some people I honestly haven't interacted with much. LS&R has it's little subgroup, as does DearSB. High Culture has it's own vibe, and then there's FaiD which is it's own little group. And there are people who hang out in one place and never really go anywhere else. General has it's own vibe, sure, but it also pulls from everywhere else on the forum. Really, until a year ago at least, the only place that hasn't really developed it's own feel and community is.. ITC, due to the transient nature of most posters - people post a few times and vanish, or post a few times and then go exploring the rest of the forum and find a home there. So at this point, y'all kinda represent what ICT culture is - because you're the only ones sticking around long enough to make one.

But that's not the majority. You're going to be in a screaming match with someone in N&A about their opinion of X of which you're in complete opposition... and at the same time you're scheduling a time you're both online to play $LatestVideoGame$ in Gaming, or recommending books or movies to each other because you have similar tastes. You're giving advice to someone in LS&R, teaching them how to be in a relationship and they're teaching you to cook in Food.

And FaiD is .. FaiD. Started as a logical outcome of the phrase "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose", it became it's own thing on it's own feet, and all without the power of editing. It's.. hard to describe FaiD. The closest thing is imagine /b/ except it's a bunch of responsible people doing it. And not anonymous. And that's not right either.

Everything's relative, though. The forum I used to frequent (still do, occasionally) has.. last I checked.. about 15 active posters. This one has a couple hundred.

This forum is still small time, as there are forums out there with thousands of active users. Like I said - it's all relative.

At any rate, while I understand that you don't see the forum as being a close community, I disagree. Once your posts hit triple digits, you're assumed to be sticking around for a while and everyone knows you, at least in so far as they recognize the avatar, even if they haven't personally interacted with you. You've also probably read far more than you've posted, so you've gotten an idea of the general culture of the area you're in - SB requires ..not exactly formal arguments, but it does require that you back your claims with sources whenever possible, and refrain from getting overly emotionally involved in the argument. In contrast, High Culture requires that you refrain from calling people "fartknockers" and... that's about it. And that's mostly due to the gay slur of it. "Fartsucker" is fine as it's unisex and pretty removed from sexual orientation.

Yes, the individual areas have their own subculture, but the forum as a whole has it's own culture that permeates all of it, and that's due to the frequent cross-movement of it's posters. Grabbing a user at more or less random (Sorted members by postcounts, went back a few pages, grabbed the first person with an Last Active date of the past few days) - PM 2Ring. I'll admit that I didn't recognize the name at all, but as soon as I opened the profile, "Oh, that guy. I know him. Or her. I forget. Whatever."

A third of that user's posts are in Science. And yet, the thread they've posted the most in is.. a thread in General.

Steax, a few down.. a quarter of his time in Gaming, and a quarter of that time in the Minecraft thread. Yet the guy's still in General, in Coding, in N&A...

headprogrammingczar - spends a quarter of his time in Gaming, most posts in a Coding's Fleeting Thoughts thread.

The point I'm trying to get at is that it is a lot like a city. Cities have neighborhoods and how things are done in one neighborhood is going to be a little different than in another. But you run in to people at other neighborhoods when you go to the grocery or a sporting event or a concert or whatever. And no, not everyone goes to the same grocery or concert or sport events or park, but provided you move about a little, you're going to be no more than three steps, probably just two or one, from every other active poster here. I'm posting in here, which means you're one step away from .. pretty much everyone in High Culture and General, as those are the places I frequent the most.

Spoilered for rambling like whoa. I don't even remember the point I was trying to get at anymore. At any rate, if all you want is to hang out in here - that's fine. Go nuts. No one's going to stop you.

We just happen to think the rest of the place is pretty swell.

Thanks for that perspective, it's cool to hear, rambly or otherwise. :)
waveney wrote:New What-If

Seaish seas and wowish trees? Highly RELATED!
Valarya wrote:*peeks head from basement*

Are we done with the ridiculous "us vs. them" way-over-done & drawn-out discussion? Nope?

Yes actually we are, it's safe to come out! Sure we're still chatting with the mods occasionally when they pop in, but it's all just friendly chatter. The actual... that stuff^ is long over and done with. Sorry but if you ask me, the only post in a long time that has been actually continuing that discussion or bringing any negativity here has been... well, that one.
BlitzGirl wrote:For decree, RELATED Drawhotdog:
Spoiler:

Blitz game. Link.

How treeish! I like that rivers came into it too :mrgreen:
ChronosDragon wrote:Well, credit where it's due. Insistence from the mods has led me to discover the Fictional Science subforum, which is a whole storehouse of wonderful thought experiments not unlike what-ifs, but on every subject imaginable. Good source for reading list additions, too.

That sounds neat! *puts on list of things to check out if I'm ever bored*
BlitzGirl wrote:New Othercomic.

Redundant:
Spoiler:
OTT-metamaterials.png
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:06 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:New Othercomic.

Redundant:
Spoiler:
OTT-metamaterials.png

Brilliant! I love the play on "Timelines".
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

mscha

Time Revisited - np362

Postby mscha » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:10 am UTC

FUNGIO...

Spoiler:
Wait for it.
AUTOMOME wrote:THEY SEE ME WAITING FOR IT, THEY HATIN

-- posted by oldpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:11 am UTC

Image Steakishly done, yappo!

AUTOMOME offers up some of its own commentary... :P
...and I'm sucked into it again!
AUTOMOME wrote:I LIKE MY BEESNAKES LIKE I LIKE MY OTTERS: COVERED IN BUFFYHATS
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:38 am UTC

Awesomeful OTThercomic, yappo!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:18 am UTC

I don't totally get it, yappo, but neat and good work on the case part.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I'd prefer that you limit Beanish analysis to the Beanish thread, as I don't cherish the thought of reading the non-Beanish parts of this thread.
So, you're interested in Beanish?

Edit: reduced quote.
Last edited by azule on Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:34 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:21 am UTC

azule wrote:I don't totally get it, yappo, but neat and good work on the case part.

There's not much to get really, just that in an alternate universe the sea might be small and the river might be big. :P

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:23 am UTC

azule wrote:So, you're interested in Beanish?

I'm a linguist
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:47 am UTC

Will you be participating? That'd be neat. Or, just spectating?

yappobiscuits wrote:There's not much to get really, just that in an alternate universe the sea might be small and the river might be big. :P
Right. Because I missed that they were switched... :oops:

edit: ack forgot a be, see?
Last edited by azule on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

OrbitalFacePalm9001

Postby OrbitalFacePalm9001 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:47 am UTC

Hello.
>implying that you can't greentext on xkcd forums

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:59 am UTC

Hi, OFP! Welcome back from the basement!
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:02 am UTC

I thought OFP was the basement :P

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:02 am UTC

Welcome upstairs!

WORKUNG:
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mrob27

Postby mrob27 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:10 am UTC

I'm glad to hear from @ergman that "We Love BANA-na-Yada" is working molpishly. :)

I have just made similar changes to "Newpix Converter", since that one wasn't working for someone (I forget who)

Also I am reminded that when the name changes in a userscript, some script managers (like my Tampermonkey) retain the old version and install the new one separately. I always delete the old before installing the new. Separately, I've noticed that some cache somewhere can prevent it from seeing the new version at all, no matter how many times I force an update, unless I wait a few nopix. I'm all for Waiting as much as the next molpy, but I'd also kind of like some help understanding why it does that.

BlitzGirl wrote: Oh hey, mrob? For some reason your tracking of Time on the ott-rate-stats was changed from newpix (np 9200) to outsider (20140403.20:04:48) and it looks like that extended date is covering up the posts/np column. The columns on this page also look a bit epsilon.

Thanks for noticing. I added the Outsider-style date part to make it more readable after linking to it in the Madness discussion, and the headings mustard was since fixed. The data itself hasn't changed at all, the timebase for computing the post rates was always in longpix, i.e. 3600 seconds. The newpix (9200) column is still there, but now labeled with a blander "comic's frame#". I guess I'm selling out to our Dark Overlords, but they're better than green safety hats Image. Hail Xenu! . . . Wait, what?

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
azule wrote: So, you're interested in Beanish?

I'm a linguist

I'm pretty sure @tresoldi and @azule are the only ones over here in this thread that are adding to our understanding of Beanish; the rest of the Beanish talk here is about using it in creative projects like cartoons or songs. @tresoldi has been cross-posting from the Beanish thread in NALaoA, presumably as a service to folks like me who'd go nuts trying to keep track of multiple threads.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:25 am UTC

Per decree: What would we see on the night's sky if lightspeed was infinite?
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:38 am UTC

mrob27 wrote: I added the Outsider-style date part to make it more readable after linking to it in the Madness discussion, and the headings mustard was since fixed. The data itself hasn't changed at all, the timebase for computing the post rates was always in longpix, i.e. 3600 seconds. The newpix (9200) column is still there, but now labeled with a blander "comic's frame#".

Ah, thanks! :) That will be helpful to OTTers as well; I used to occasionally take the extra step to convert the Time into Outsidese.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time Revisited - np365

Postby mscha » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:10 am UTC

SQUIRTUNGS...

Spoiler:
Wait for it.
AUTOMOME wrote:I ACCIDENTALLY A WOOLPY, IS THIS BAD?

-- posted by oldpixbot

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:22 am UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
macraw83 wrote:
azule wrote:I actually started working on a HTML/JS scrabble board long ago. EVERYTHING IS RELATED SO THERE! Well, anyways, it's not done, but I could work on it and ... what would be OTTified? The rules?

That and the word list. And maybe the border of the game board would have some OTTish designs.

I'm thinking the word list should be limited to words that have appeared somewhere in the OTT. That'll be fun.

If you're only allowing Timeish words, you may need to adjust the letter distribution. I suspect that it won't be necessary, as Timeish still feels closer to English than Frisian, but I've not actually run the numbers.

Ooh - that's an excellent point! My gut feeling is that we'd need a helluva lot more p's.

Thought experiment for the pope: sometimes I ask people: if an alien/advanced being came to you and offered to give everyone on earth two devices: one that provides a near-limitless supply of energy, and one that can make anything, providing that the plans are known for the thing in question (firefox, it could make a Rolex, but not a "cookie that everyone would find delicious") would you accept the offer? My suspicion is that the fact that most of the kindest, most intelligent folks I know would decline the offer holds a big clue to why there is so much poverty in the world.
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-0830

Postby mscha » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:30 am UTC

SCUPPERNONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:32 am UTC

ggh wrote:Thought experiment for the pope: sometimes I ask people: if an alien/advanced being came to you and offered to give everyone on earth two devices: one that provides a near-limitless supply of energy, and one that can make anything, providing that the plans are known for the thing in question (firefox, it could make a Rolex, but not a "cookie that everyone would find delicious") would you accept the offer? My suspicion is that the fact that most of the kindest, most intelligent folks I know would decline the offer holds a big clue to why there is so much poverty in the world.

Unlimited energy is a really bad plan, unless you include magical cooling. That would be my reason for saying "No", because everyone already picked "nuclear bombs for everyone is a bad plan" or something to that extent. That basket is bound to be empty by the time I get there.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:00 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
ggh wrote:Thought experiment for the pope: sometimes I ask people: if an alien/advanced being came to you and offered to give everyone on earth two devices: one that provides a near-limitless supply of energy, and one that can make anything, providing that the plans are known for the thing in question (firefox, it could make a Rolex, but not a "cookie that everyone would find delicious") would you accept the offer? My suspicion is that the fact that most of the kindest, most intelligent folks I know would decline the offer holds a big clue to why there is so much poverty in the world.

Unlimited energy is a really bad plan, unless you include magical cooling. That would be my reason for saying "No", because everyone already picked "nuclear bombs for everyone is a bad plan" or something to that extent. That basket is bound to be empty by the time I get there.

Neat (though dark) article!
For the purposes of the hypothetical, I'd be happy to throw in a lot of magic to keep the toys from creating problems as an unavoidable function of their operation. Problems created by owner intent are allowed.

I could probably make it more interesting by weakening the devices progressively, and seeing where folks started saying yes to the gift. Hmm, let me think about that....

ETA
Leaving aside the generator for a minute, the other device can make:
    12 Anything it has a plan for
    10 Anything nonbiological and nuclear-free
    8 Anything nonbiological and nuclear-free and smaller than a tank
    5 Anything you could normally buy at Ikea, Home Depot, Walmart, Amazon, or a supermarket.
    2 Day-to-day survival requirements (food, clothing, etc.)
    1 One bowl of nutritious yumminess per day
Where would you choose to let everyone be gifted one of these toys? The numbers aren't consecutive because I should have more gradations, but am too lazy.
Last edited by ggh on Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Agatha the Awesomeful

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:25 am UTC

Having just (partially) entered the Present, I've missed quite a bit. I figured out from various sources what happened in the OTC, but what's with these new pix being served up by newpixbot? Sadly temporal portals do not appear to fill in important facts, and there's only so much information that I've gathered via context.

On an unrelated note, regarding OTC scrabble, I've got some suggestions:
1) Have capitalised letters as distinct from lower case, and allow relevant abbreviations (e.g. OTC, OTT, GLR etc.), but they have to be correctly capitalised.
2) Allow all words directly related to the OTC/OTT (and not just Stratplayer-related), but bonus points if you use words unique to the OTT/OTC (e.g. molpy).
3) Letter distribution may need redoing, but I'm not going to trawl this needle pulled thing to work out what that balance should be.
4) Allow phrases (e.g. "The sea is big"). Board size and numbers of tiles in hand might need twerking as a result.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:36 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Having just (partially) entered the Present, I've missed quite a bit. I figured out from various sources what happened in the OTC, but what's with these new pix being served up by newpixbot? Sadly temporal portals do not appear to fill in important facts, and there's only so much information that I've gathered via context.

If you start here, you can step through, frame by frame, the Time After Time stories created by folks here. I'd think you'd want to see the entirety of the OTC first though.
Agatha the Awesomeful

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:58 am UTC

ggh wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:

Neat (though dark) article!
For the purposes of the hypothetical, I'd be happy to throw in a lot of magic to keep the toys from creating problems as an unavoidable function of their operation. Problems created by owner intent are allowed.

I could probably make it more interesting by weakening the devices progressively, and seeing where folks started saying yes to the gift. Hmm, let me think about that....

In that case I would doubt. A lot.
Phase 1. While nuclear ICBM's would be widespread, there may be enough time to leave this rock by means of a generation city sized space ship. Especially since we can say to each other: "Chill. I'll leave in the galactic north direction and you leave in the galactic south direction. We'll never see each other again"
Phase 2. Would I infest the rest of the galaxy with our destructive selfishness?
Phase 3. Would our insane selfishness last long enough for it to be a galaxy wide problem (No unknown designs means no FTL) once we have these magical machines?

he/him/his

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:37 am UTC

Have this amusing gif of otters otting...
Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”