1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mrob27

IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LUCKY DEMUSTARDS *YOU* 

Postby mrob27 » Wed May 28, 2014 7:17 pm UTC

SBN wrote: Gives a whole new meaning to "Up all night to get Lucky," doesn't it?

I really wanted to make the game post the lyrics to @mscha's ottification of that song, but it will have to wait until I get back from Japan (I'm bringing the song and lyrics with me, so I can write Q04B-specific lyrics). But Lucky moves at approximately the right tempo, so you can imagine it. The real problem is that the 5-beat repeating pattern in the animation doesn't match the 4:4 metrical signature of the song. There's a future molpy boost that will have a 4:4 pattern, but that'll have to wait too :)

I have coded through the valley of the shadow of *ndishness,
and I have learned why one must polyfill Function::bind for Mobile Safari.

While working on the Image Lucky boost I saw any number of mustardly things happening in Q04B when I try to reload and test.

Image Empty grid (no tiles)
   Image Grid with tiles, looks okay but when you try to move, nothing happens
   Image Lucky works on desktop, but not on mobile
   Image Lucky works on mobile, but not on desktop
   Image Lucky starts but won't stop (where did I put that thwapstick?)
   Image After a period of no change, the first new revision loads into browser, but can't get the next revision to show up unless I wait at least 10 minutes

I've figured out much of what is going on. Imagine that a webpage is changing all the time, and you keep hitting F5 to see the updates. Perhaps it's a liveblog of an event, or a hotdog, or a news story. Due to the nature of browser caches and the Cache-Control: headers provided by servers, it is often the case that you'll get no more than one new version of a webpage every ten minutes, or some other fixed period of time. I mention ten minutes because it's a very common expiry interval. For example, if you fetch castle.chirpingmustard.com the Expires: field is exactly ten minutes after the Date: field, and there is no Cache-Control: must-revalidate. This means that if you've just loaded the page, then 1 minute later @Eternal Density or another of the SB hotdog vendors puts an update there, and then another minute later you navigate away and then navigate back, you won't see the new version unless you explicitly reload or wait longer before navigating back.
    The recently added offline cacheing and auto-update features of Q04B add another level of complexity. There is a master list, called cache.manifest, that lists all the files that should be cached (HTML pages, JavaScript, and a bunch of images). If this file hasn't changed, the browser will never look at any of the others to see if they have changed. Furthermore, if I try to change the manifest twice in less than 10 minutes, I see the first change but not the second, until I've waited up to an additional ten minutes. Worse still, if the browser sees the second manifest and starts re-loading the images, HTML, etc. files, if any of those are less than 10 minutes old it won't reload them. All this conspires to create some really Image Image Image mustard.
    I've addressed this partially by putting Cache-Control: max-age=0 on the manifest and Cache-Control: max-age=60, must-revalidate on everything else. I then discovered another Image Image Image Image: If someone tries to get a file at the same moment my bots are sending a new version of that file to the webserver, they might get a completely empty "file". This happens annoyingly often to version.js, so I've had to put special code in the rest of the game to handle a missing version.js. Image Fun. Image :roll: Image

Q04B Mustard Survival Guide

So, here are some things to do when any of the above Image things happen:
  • Go to the Options&Info page get the game data from the Import/Export section. Save this somewhere.
  • Try reloading. If mustard persists, just leave the mustardy screen displayed for a few minutes, then try a reload. If mustard persists, Wait half a newpix and try yet again. (It takes two times, because the first time the mustard is there but the browser is checking for and downloading a new version; but you still have to reload again to actually see the new version).
  • If mustard persists, PM me (I'm probably trying to fix it, but maybe I'm completely unaware).
  • If you got your game data from Import/Export, then you can go to another browser. That browser won't have a mustardy copy of the hotdog, so you have a fresh shot at getting the updated version. Also, in another browser you can empty the browser cache and application data, something you might not want to do in your main browser.

Having said all that, I'm going to Japan for a week, so I won't be changing Q04B and hopefully that means no new problems. (I did test it a lot after making my most recent changes, and it seems stable.) But if it's looking bad, export, empty your browser cache and try again.

mrob27 Image

In fact, it may be related to what was happening here and here, though GitHub surely has its own layers of cacheing that add extra Image Image mustard.

Edit: What, huh? My script told me I was going to be the goat. Image Huh.

OTTify something Japanese — ゴジラ (Godzilla), トトロ, ...
You get the idea.

Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

ergman

Not actually a fan of Totoro. Love most other Ghibli things

Postby ergman » Wed May 28, 2014 7:56 pm UTC

My Neighbor TOTToro?
Spoilers for seaishness.
Spoiler:

RSIR
Spoiler:
image.jpg
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1157

Postby mscha » Wed May 28, 2014 8:30 pm UTC

SERONGA...
Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!
-- posted by newpixbot

ChronosDragon

Your sandcastle is the sandcastle that shall pierce the heav

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed May 28, 2014 8:38 pm UTC

I guess linux experience is a mere exposure effect. From the few days when I had it installed as my only OS on my laptop, I could begin to see the truth in 456 - any problem inevitably starts to become "crap, gotta rebuild this from source" or "hmm, compatibility issue, lets see if I can modify this to work on my hardware architecture." Linux isn't like Windows - it doesn't "just work" all the time, and the community usually expects you to diagnose your own problems fully and completely before helping you out. I could probably get down to the BSD / kernel compilation level, but I'd need a few years of constant exposure first. Which I might get.

As for Japanese OTTification, check the title of this post. It's the best I could do right now.

HES

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Wed May 28, 2014 8:48 pm UTC

Speaking of the Japanese, apparently "hamuketsu" is becoming popular.
Spoiler:
That's "Hamply bottom". Just going to leave this here...

He/Him/His Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed May 28, 2014 9:00 pm UTC

Hi, everymolpy! I have returned from a whirlwind trip to the City of the Big Shoulders. Didn't notice any especially large shoulders, but I wasn't in the city proper, so maybe that explains it.

Not much chance for OTTing over the past few days, so looks like I have some ketchup ahead of me. Yay!

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed May 28, 2014 9:21 pm UTC

CD, I don't think Linux is significantly different in that regard compared to Windows. On both, with a bit of experience, you'll learn how to anticipate and avoid most major problems. The biggest difference is that you're more likely to find a solution online for your exact Windows problem, but if you can't you're up a radioactive creek without a raftcastle. Whereas in Linux you'll find pre-prepared solutions less often, but nearly always have the tools/info to find your own solution (given enough time and interest). And Linux will continue to get better at having "canned" solutions as long as usage continues to increase.
[/soapbox]

June Bug, you only just missed posting on np1964 (by less than 3 nopix). Hope you have a molpish ketchup (is it possible not to?).

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Wed May 28, 2014 9:33 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:one must polyfill Function::bind for Mobile Safari

I have this feeling the OTTer Map is broken on Mobile Safari.

mrob27 wrote:the Expires: field is exactly ten minutes after the Date: field

Expires (from HTTP/1.0) is overridden by Cache-Control: max-age (from HTTP/1.1), so it's not what you're looking for.

mrob27 wrote:I've addressed this partially by putting Cache-Control: max-age=0 on the manifest and Cache-Control: max-age=60, must-revalidate on everything else.

Have you thought of versioning your resources instead? I'm thinking of doing that and letting people cache all non-index.html files forever.

Drive has been shipped using registered mail, with Mint|17 RC|Cinnamon|x86-32. Hopefully the system being in English won't be a deterrent. I just have to remind them to setxkbmap -layout br after boot.

Thanks for all the help, people.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Link

I THINK, THEREFORE I COMA

Postby Link » Wed May 28, 2014 10:16 pm UTC

slinches wrote:CD, I don't think Linux is significantly different in that regard compared to Windows. On both, with a bit of experience, you'll learn how to anticipate and avoid most major problems. The biggest difference is that you're more likely to find a solution online for your exact Windows problem, but if you can't you're up a radioactive creek without a raftcastle. Whereas in Linux you'll find pre-prepared solutions less often, but nearly always have the tools/info to find your own solution (given enough time and interest). And Linux will continue to get better at having "canned" solutions as long as usage continues to increase.
[/soapbox]
It's definitely true that Linux gives you a powerful set of diagnostic tools and potential work-arounds. If something fails, even if it's a GUI application, running it from the terminal usually makes it spew out helpful information. If you can't diagnose the problem from that, you can attach a debugger and get more info. Then there's the possibility of looking at the source code to see where the hitch is. If you can't figure it out, the community is generally very helpful (provided you help them to help you, e.g. by starting with specifying exactly what fails instead of just stating "it nuh wuk"). If you still can't solve the problem, most programs have multiple alternatives.

Othercomic 456 is quite true as well, but the advantage is that every time you move up that ladder, you learn skills that make solving further problems easier. I myself have used Gentoo for quite a few yips now, and once you get it to work, most problems you'll encounter will be quite easy to solve. What you get in return for the effort of learning how to use it is a system that can be adapted to fit every need you might have. To a certain extent, other distributions can do that as well, but the "sensible" defaults chosen by them make it very easy to just ignore or quietly accept minor quirks and flaws, whereas Gentoo's "learn or die" model makes it easier to say "I want it this way and you will obey me". Back when I used Windows, I could scarcely imagine a system with that flexibility. When I started using Linux, I found out that it's possible to have an OS that works with you instead of bossing you around. It wasn't until after I got Gentoo working that I realised I could be in complete control of my system, and it doesn't even take a seaish amount of experience and a formal CS education to get to that point.

Relatedly, my new organised sand should arrive next wip. I'm looking forward to installing Gentoo again. There's a lot of new tech I haven't worked with yet: GPT, UEFI, SSDs, btrfs... I'm also going to attempt to turn a very ancient organised sand into a router and VPN server this summer, which means more dunejumpish things to learn!

And with that, I molpy down.
Spoiler:

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed May 28, 2014 10:27 pm UTC

slinches wrote:CD, I don't think Linux is significantly different in that regard compared to Windows. On both, with a bit of experience, you'll learn how to anticipate and avoid most major problems. The biggest difference is that you're more likely to find a solution online for your exact Windows problem, but if you can't you're up a radioactive creek without a raftcastle. Whereas in Linux you'll find pre-prepared solutions less often, but nearly always have the tools/info to find your own solution (given enough time and interest). And Linux will continue to get better at having "canned" solutions as long as usage continues to increase.
[/soapbox]

June Bug, you only just missed posting on np1964 (by less than 3 nopix). Hope you have a molpish ketchup (is it possible not to?).

Perhaps true...but far more often on linux I find the "canned" solution involves fiddling with things I'd never thought about on Windows. For one, it's not a huge thing, but you have to be able to use a command line if you're on linux, whereas on Windows it's a rare event in most people's normal usage (most will assume you are a hacker if you open one on their computer). And there are so many command line utilities for linux that it would take months to memorize them all.

ergman

I hope blitzgirl never read peanuts...

Postby ergman » Wed May 28, 2014 10:34 pm UTC

but i hear windows has better security, whereas linux only has a blanket

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

HES

Postby HES » Wed May 28, 2014 10:38 pm UTC

Because windows is targeted much, much more.
He/Him/His Image

ucim

Re: 1190: "Holy Cascade Batman!"

Postby ucim » Wed May 28, 2014 10:53 pm UTC

So there I was, deep in prayer, concentrating on the less fortunate since there are so many... Everything began to become clear and I found myself getting boosted higher and higher, not really knowing why. Suddenly there was a message from On High: "You got your first La Petite and LBB tile!"

I looked at my prayer book in disbelief. All the other exalted tiles were gone - presumably ascended to heaven, and I had missed them! All of them! There must have been about five steps in a row where I combined high end tiles at the same time that I was concentrating on Megans and the like, and blam! There I was: Gobsmacked by God! (Godsmacked?)

I went to Options and manually copied the game string (just to be safe) and then used snake to undo and see where it came from. No undo info available.

Well, I've been manually copying the game string every now and then as a fallback, so I fell back to one of them and was able to see the sequence... I had not been paying attention to the big tiles because... well, it's usually hard to get them to line up and I didn't think I had enough of them to worry about just yet. I just wanted to make sure I didn't get ch*rped with a full grid.

Goes to show... pay attention to the lesser folk. Your rewards will come!
Spoiler:
RSIR
Spoiler:
HotdogLaPetite.png
In all due reverence - Jose
PS - what's LBB?
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Wed May 28, 2014 10:58 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
Red Hal wrote:Just out of idle curiosity, has anyone recreated this in minecraft yet?

No but I have a FTB Ultimate server, I am sure I can put together a builder blueprint that can crunch this out.

It might work in Terraria as well.

Great to see another Terraria player!
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

ChronosDragon

Re: 1190: "Holy Cascade Batman!"

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed May 28, 2014 11:01 pm UTC

ucim wrote:PS - what's LBB?

Littlest Bangs Brother

ergman wrote:but i hear windows has better security, whereas linux only has a blanket

Oh you.

mscha

Time Revisited - np1676

Postby mscha » Wed May 28, 2014 11:10 pm UTC

LINSUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:BECAUSE YOU ARE HEADCRAB UNG

-- posted by oldpixbot

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Wed May 28, 2014 11:38 pm UTC

Hope this isn't a doublepost... Sorry if it is!

I realise that I'm still over a year in the Past, and talk of Terraria has long-gone, but I would like to resurrect it for a moment; spoilered to hide it for those who don't care to read it.

Spoiler:
Would anyone be interested in joining a Terraria or Minecraft server? I've got a machine I could leave running, and could set up a world. Or is there already one?

I would LOVE to see what the amazingly inventive Timeizens could (has anyone used that term? 8-)) come up with! I myself have a very effective Minecraft vertical farm setup that I'd love to show offeveryone.

Since I probably won't catch up to this FuturePresentPost for another............ (I don't even know what my NewPages-per-day BlitzRate™ is), if anyone is either a) interested or b) knows of a server that everyone's already on, please PM me!

Alternatively, if I'm FuturePosting enough to interrupt the flow of existing conversations, double-posting, and generally being like that cat that meows and wails outside your window all night, PM me and let me know that too and I'll tone down the number of future messages accordingly. I absolutely don't want to annoy anyone with my Blitz!! :oops: :?

ergman

Postby ergman » Thu May 29, 2014 12:20 am UTC

On the contrary, the present needs all the posts it can get.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Thu May 29, 2014 12:21 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Perhaps true...but far more often on linux I find the "canned" solution involves fiddling with things I'd never thought about on Windows. For one, it's not a huge thing, but you have to be able to use a command line if you're on linux, whereas on Windows it's a rare event in most people's normal usage (most will assume you are a hacker if you open one on their computer). And there are so many command line utilities for linux that it would take months to memorize them all.

Agree. It can be intimidating at first, but the CLI is one the best "features" of *nix and I don't think I've memorized more than a handful (or two) of commands. There's a history for the recently used ones (up arrow) and older ones are often found in scripts you've written, then there's always google "$TASK Linux command".

And IMnsHO the Windows registry is much more intimidating.

On the subject of hotdog OTTification:
It's probably already been mentioned, but a dungeon crawler or adventure game similar to NetHack (OTThack?) or Zork would be fun.

Code: Select all

> go right
You approach an abandoned shack.  You are likely to be eaten by a raptorcat

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1158

Postby mscha » Thu May 29, 2014 12:30 am UTC

ZONGANI...
Spoiler:
-- posted by newpixbot

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Thu May 29, 2014 1:43 am UTC

azule wrote:It's time for another tale. A firefox tail. ;)
Spoiler:
There once was a little firefox named Ffoxy. Ffoxy dreamed of one day going to the beach. Why the beach? For the sand. Ffoxy, like all firefoxes soon after birth, had his tail lit, for warmth and protection. With his beautiful, flaming tail, Ffoxy wanted to dance with the golden sand. Jumping and rolling on the shore, but never near the water.

One day, a strange bald man and a skinny woman came across Ffoxy playing on a grassy hill. They seemed frightened, at first, but Ffoxy did nothing but yip and laugh. Soon they were a group. The bald man decided it would be a good idea to travel to a remote beach to waste some time and have some fun. Ffoxy got to come along.

It was a wonderful beach. So much sand, with so much of it far from the dangerous water. Ffoxy played happily a great distance from the sea, which was big, while the bald man and skinny woman built sand castles.

Ffoxy was dazzled by the sand. Dipping his tail into the land, it created a pool of molten silica. Removing the flame and allowing the pool to solidify, Ffoxy knocked more sand into the hole with his paw, then dipped his tail in again. He was having fun creating larger and larger shapes.

The bald man came over to watch. He was quite stricken with the skill this little firefox was exhibiting. He wondered if Ffoxy could make complex shapes. They were building castles, a flag would be nice. Ffoxy was eager to try. Dashing his tail around like a paint brush, Ffoxy tried his hardest and managed to make a nice, long pole. The bald man was impressed but left to go work on the castles some more.

Ffoxy continued to try some shapes he'd seen, swiping his tail around with the skill of a carver. Soon, the skinny woman came to see Ffoxy. The bald man had told her what he could do and she wanted to see. Ffoxy tried again, this time making a flag shape. She was impressed. She encouraged him to keep trying while she stayed near building more shapes of her own in the sand.

After many moments of praise Ffoxy was finally shaping fully the flag with pole. Such glee on both their faces. The skinny woman took the nice flags to their beautifully shaped castles. Ffoxy laid down, really happy, yet sleepy. He snoozed with the warmth of his tail and the warmth of sun.

Ffoxy had a wonderful day at the beach.

Edit: Sleep deprivation based grammar and spelling errors.

Vytron wrote:
Spoiler:
[Snip!]

cmyk posts what I deem as the funniest post I've read on the thread:

cmyk wrote:
tman2nd wrote:Image
Uh oh
Yuh huh. That's what you get for fuckin' screwing around. It's a bucket on a rope, not a magic jet pack.

[Snip!]

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that comment :lol:

LankieBlonde wrote:May the Fourth be with you all! :D

I read this as "May the Fourth Wall be with you all"...

FullOfIt wrote:Frozen ONG on a stick. The perfect dessert after hamburgers with Ketchup Blitz. :P

Yummeh!

BlitzGirl wrote:I'm torn - I want to see a bird's-eye view of this place, but I'm afraid that it will just look like this:
Spoiler:

ROFL. Thanks BlitzGirl. Not sure why I found this hilarious, but I did.

CatBlitzed my way to Page 532 and rising. My fur is starting to heat to the point of smouldering from speed... This amuses me.

mrob27

たなりのカルヘリ 

Postby mrob27 » Thu May 29, 2014 2:04 am UTC

Steakish karhell/Totoro OTTification, @ergman!

AluisioASG wrote:
mrob27 wrote: one must polyfill Function::bind for Mobile Safari

I have this feeling the OTTer Map is broken on Mobile Safari.

Hmmm... yeah, looks like it. The "chirpingmustard" logo is really stretched out (it renders fullscreen width and about 2 pixels high), there's the "Add yourself to the map" button, and the whole rest is blank (white).

Expires (from HTTP/1.0) is overridden by Cache-Control: max-age (from HTTP/1.1), so it's not what you're looking for.

Yep! ... and Cache-Control: max-age is... you guessed it, 600! :P

Code: Select all

curl 'http://castle.chirpingmustard.com/' -o test.html -D headers.txt; cat headers.txt
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
102  3468  102  3468    0     0   7212      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--  105k
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: GitHub.com
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
Last-Modified: Tue, 27 May 2014 21:01:15 GMT
Expires: Wed, 28 May 2014 18:52:42 GMT
Cache-Control: max-age=600
Content-Length: 3468
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 18:42:42 GMT
Via: 1.1 varnish
Connection: keep-alive
X-Served-By: cache-iad2135-IAD
X-Cache: MISS
X-Cache-Hits: 0
X-Timer: S1401302562.567922592,VS0,VE1
Vary: Accept-Encoding

Have you thought of versioning your resources instead? I'm thinking of doing that and letting people cache all non-index.html files forever.

I'll look for a way to do that on a per-file basis. Since I am using <html manifest="cache.manifest"> I am limited by the manifest format which effectively is a global "version number", with no provisions for per-file versioning. When using applicationCache, there are effectively two levels of cacheing going on in the client and I need to make sure the normal cacheing is not interfering with the applicationCache and manifest.

Hooray for gentoo! Image That will definitely be my next Linux installation (a hand-me-down Dell laptop) and probably the next after that (20-core workstation to replace my aging 8-core).

ucim wrote: I went to Options and manually copied the game string (just to be safe) and then used snake to undo and see where it came from. No undo info available.

Oh yeah, darn. I've been lazy, and the undo isn't saved in localStorage — so when you went to Options to get the export string, it forgot the previous seven positions, meaning you have nothing to Snake! to. I'll eventually get around to doing that — it was not deliberate nerfing, it was just avoiding the hassle of having to add code to handle all the different cases.
    In my defense though, the (spoiler warning) Snake! page does state: "You cannot undo a move if:
  • You have taken no moves since loading or reloading the game,"
I'll try to make it more obvious that switching pages constitutes "loading".
     But hey! What baobabish meditation — Congratulations!

PS - what's LBB?

@CD answered, but here are the links: OTT:1218:38 is the first occurrence of the name, and OTT:1245:8 is where the name "Little Bangs Brother" is unambiguously linked to the character (both posts by @BlitzGirl).

slinches wrote: Agree. It can be intimidating at first, but the CLI is one the best "features" of *nix and I don't think I've memorized more than a handful (or two) of commands.

I use the CLI, but I no longer use the commands... about 95% of the commands I type are either a Perl script I wrote or a bash shell function that I wrote :roll: so in a way, you get to set it up so you can type whatever you want! :D

mrob27 Image

P.S. Not long until I'll be away for a whole wip...
Last edited by mrob27 on Thu May 29, 2014 2:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HES

Re: たなりのカルヘリ 

Postby HES » Thu May 29, 2014 2:10 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:OTT:1218:38 is the first occurrence of the name, and OTT:1245:8 is where the name "Little Bangs Brother" is unambiguously linked to the character (both posts by @BlitzGirl).

In other words, BlitzGirl put it upon herself to name him, and the rest of the Forty for that matter.. This is unacceptable. We need a new, unifying standard. :twisted:

ETA: Mustard. There goes my sleek, silent organised sand build. I'd rather not have to RMA my PSU for this...
He/Him/His Image

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Thu May 29, 2014 2:37 am UTC

mathrec wrote:A present to slow you down so I can ketchup. No more posting until you solve it!

Challenge accepted.

ergman

Postby ergman » Thu May 29, 2014 2:49 am UTC

Come to think of it, what is Karhell? A Pokeymans? A car from hell?

What do you think, Bing bot?

:P anyway, molpy down

mscha

Time Revisited - np1680

Postby mscha » Thu May 29, 2014 3:10 am UTC

UNGENUOUS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:I WAIT FOR IT, THEREFORE I POST

-- posted by oldpixbot

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu May 29, 2014 3:36 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:In my defense though, the (spoiler warning) Snake! page does state: "You cannot undo a move if:
* You have taken no moves since loading or reloading the game,"
Yes, I know, and I read that. I haven't been using snake, and have been keeping my own savepoints, but I tried it anyway. (You get nothing if you don't try, right?) I was able to see (or recreate the likely) sequence by using a savepoint. I was just surprised when all those snake credits came out of nowhere, and I looked at the grid and saw mainly cueballs.

That's what it's like after the Rapture.

HES wrote:In other words, BlitzGirl put it upon herself to name him, and the rest of the Forty for that matter.. This is unacceptable. We need a new, unifying standard. :twisted:
I'm sorry, you didn't use the standard way of protesting a standard. We have standards for that, you know. :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

azule
Saved

A few more ketchups

Postby azule » Thu May 29, 2014 3:46 am UTC

Happy Birthiversary, ZmSP!

BC wrote:*It's actually an alot of bush, but that sounds a little adult.**
**Not to mention that it's a honeysuckle bush (snigger)***
***That one's for you, azule :lol:
I think we're friends now. :)

SBN wrote:toddlermolps
Those are notorious ankle biters.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

mrob27

EXCUSE ME SIR, DO YOU HAVE A MOMENT TO TALK ABOUT Q04B? 

Postby mrob27 » Thu May 29, 2014 4:26 am UTC

ucim wrote: Yes, I know, and I read that. I haven't been using snake, and have been keeping my own savepoints, but I tried it anyway. (You get nothing if you don't try, right?) I was able to see (or recreate the likely) sequence by using a savepoint. ...

Oh, treeish. I love the autolog too, that's why I added it :wink: So maybe by next timeȐ I'll have made this so that it works :mrgreen: and that'll be fun. There are also going to be one or two boosts that will give you other useful things you can do with your Snake! credits, and in fact one of those is 2nd in line after I return with newly sharpened ninjasearchfu探究

That's what it's like after the Rapture.

But then who is left to take care of the molpies?

mrob27 (annnndddd, going now... Image)

Ȑ One can be Born again, so I suppose one can be Raptured again, right?

The Tale of 守炉部二十七 (Morobu-Niju-Nana)

探究 The greatest dojo in all the world for learning the ancient art of searchfu is near Mount Fuji, though few know exactly where. It lies in the middle of a vast forest surrounded by dense stands of bamboo and rocky chasms carved in the dark igneous rock by roaring crystal-clear streams flowing down from the snow-covered mountain. One must have a very sharp eye to find it, and agile legs to reach — and thus, the student is taught before even passing the entrance-gate. ...
Last edited by mrob27 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:59 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1159

Postby mscha » Thu May 29, 2014 4:30 am UTC

ONGRAVED...
Spoiler:
-- posted by newpixbot

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Thu May 29, 2014 6:27 am UTC

The Timedoku is solved, and its message revealed!

Spoiler:
"OUR TIME COMMUNITIE"!

TimedokuSolved.png

Very nice use of such a limited letter set to provide that feeling of belonging.

Now my Blitz may continue, until bitz(heh) of fur start burning off!

Edit: Ooh! This is my 50th post! How appropriate that I solve a Blitzpuzzle as part of it! :mrgreen:

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Thu May 29, 2014 6:43 am UTC

It's a holiday over here so I've got time to do some replies:

Someone (I think it was ggh) has expressed interest in my ongoing effort for the past weeks in producing my own electricity by harnessing the power of the bright skycircle. Those endeavour has proven successfull. I've got now a 8kWp photovoltaik generator plant installed on my roof (well actually it's the roof of my house) and it works like a charm (47,5° N). I am now gathering data and looking for a way to best log and analyze production and consumption values. All in all it cost about $ 20.000,-- and I am calculating that at current energy prices it will have payed for itself in about 8 to 12 years, depending on various factors.

About the Linux discussion:
I've switched partially to Linux about 20 years ago and running my private machines exclusivly on Linux for about 15 or so. There have been very few occasions when I need a windows box. I set up some linux noobs with kubuntu (which I think is easier to explain to windows-users than ubuntu) and as far as I can tell, they are pretty happy with it. It is true that I've compiled a good many programs, but the need doing it has diminished over the years. I buy my hardware specifically for running Linux and did not have to compile a kernel-level driver for years. (Mind you, sometimes you just NEED to have a certain feature. Because reasons. Important reasons, like... it's so damn cool! Then I fire up ye olde compiler and hack away, but that's another story.)
I actually miss the command line when I am on a windows machine, because the main use for X on linux for me is to have a convenient way to tile four konsoles on one screen and be able to swith to another with four more :-)
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

MistyCat

Q04B

Postby MistyCat » Thu May 29, 2014 7:41 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:
ucim wrote: I went to Options and manually copied the game string (just to be safe) and then used snake to undo and see where it came from. No undo info available.

Oh yeah, darn. I've been lazy, and the undo isn't saved in localStorage — so when you went to Options to get the export string, it forgot the previous seven positions, meaning you have nothing to Snake! to. I'll eventually get around to doing that — it was not deliberate nerfing, it was just avoiding the hassle of having to add code to handle all the different cases.
    In my defense though, the (spoiler warning) Snake! page does state: "You cannot undo a move if:
  • You have taken no moves since loading or reloading the game,"
I'll try to make it more obvious that switching pages constitutes "loading".

Twice now after completion of a seaish cascade I've copied the game string and imported it into another browser (following your advice I'm now playing in Chrome, which plays at least twice as fast) and tried to undo, to see alternatives, and simply accepted that Undo information is probably not included in the string.

Last time I did that I played with the Lucky option for a while. It's very depressing to see a mindless 5-step repetition achieve much better recovery than I can manage from what I would have called extremely bad positions, time and time again. Steakish, mrob.

ucim, does my upward build look as strange to you as your downward build looks to me? (rhetorical.)

Gotta go, it's been nearly 20 minutes since I played Q04B.
Spoiler:
Woohoo! I think this is the first time I've managed to get the attachment/spoiler thing to work properly.
Spoiler:
Q04B013-4548728ReadyToCleanUp.gif
Ready to tidy up
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1160

Postby mscha » Thu May 29, 2014 8:30 am UTC

DOUBLEGONGER...
Spoiler:
-- posted by newpixbot

mscha

Time Revisited - np1686

Postby mscha » Thu May 29, 2014 9:10 am UTC

VUNGUARDIST...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:THE FIRST RULE OF TIMEODY CLUB IS, YOU DON'T TALK ABOUT TIMEODY CLUB

-- posted by oldpixbot

mrob27

I UNBASEMENT, THEREFORE I BLINDPOST

Postby mrob27 » Thu May 29, 2014 9:13 am UTC

(Well I wasn't quite gone yet)

Just wanted to let you know that I'm switching to my other imagebot and nopixbot during my trip (because my laptop will be shut down). Hopefully there will be no interruptions in the updating of the files at mrob.com/time or in Q04B — but if there are Image ... then I guess you'll know why.

mrob27 Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1161

Postby mscha » Thu May 29, 2014 12:30 pm UTC

BREEDONGS...
Spoiler:
-- posted by newpixbot

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: A few more ketchups

Postby SBN » Thu May 29, 2014 1:18 pm UTC

azule wrote:
SBN wrote:toddlermolps
Those are notorious ankle biters.

Largest Wolpy did get bit by one once, but no harm was done.

Naturally, we make every effort to control the encounters, to keep things pleasant for all. Usually the Wolpies' only complaint is if someone doesn't pet all three of them.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu May 29, 2014 2:13 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:But then who is left to take care of the molpies?
Amazing - treating a divine ascention as if it were an ordinary kidnapping. You'd think they'd think God had a plan.

mrob27 wrote:One can be Born again, so I suppose one can be Raptured again, right?
Being born is important. Do it once, do it right!

Brought to you by the Birth Conservation League.

BTW, Lucky is a molpish boost! I didn't use it until I got LaPetite; now I use it to run through a lot of the lower tiles until it gets crowded. Then I take over by hand (because I can see all the times it whisks a tempting pair away before a collapse). (Yeah, I know. Wait for it.)

Then I clean up and hand it back to the autopilot. I was approaching a second tower when I finally ch*rped one. On a replay, Lucky ch*rped it too, so I don't feel badly.
(edit: this position:
2:2209952:H:2372628:14:....21071D1435120C401852434H6015A32:58:42:1.9250,3.217,4.27,6.2372628
A subsequent more careful manual replay cascaded nicely.
(/edit)

MistyCat wrote:ucim, does my upward build look as strange to you as your downward build looks to me? (rhetorical.)
I don't actually build down (although in retrospect, I guess I do have a slight tendency towards downwardness - gravity, you know). Rather, I collapse against whatever is handy. I have several canned moves in my fingers but often go too far (completing a sequence in anticipation of what clearly didn't happen) because I do them too fast. Also, when a block of tiles becomes inert, I'll do a circular set of moves to scramble them, giving new tiles air.

Now with lucky building downwards, I do not resist. I also find that stuffing the high tiles in the bottom center row (to the extent possible), which is the least active one, works best. High tiles act as shadows otherwise.

There was a molpish seaish karhell at a bus stop I wanted to comment on but I can't find it. Now that I'm looking, I remember it was a link to an Othercartoon. Such is most of my recent life. "It's easy to think of ideas. The hard part is thinking of them again."

But looking brought back yappo's improv recital. D'awww! The kid's got talent!

Jose

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Re: たなりのカルヘリ 

Postby Earthling on Mars » Thu May 29, 2014 3:36 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:@CD answered, but here are the links: OTT:1218:38 is the first occurrence of the name, and OTT:1245:8 is where the name "Little Bangs Brother" is unambiguously linked to the character (both posts by @BlitzGirl).
In the first link, BlitzGirl wrote:Spoiler alert: one of the Forty is actually Black Hat Guy, before acquiring his Black Hat. I suspect LaPetite's cousin, the littlest Bangs Brother.

LBB is Black Hat Guy?! Image

redundant
Spoiler:
lpb_smiley_blackhat.png
lpb_smiley_blackhat.png (475 Bytes) Viewed 14207 times

lucky_blackhat.png
lucky_blackhat.png (883 Bytes) Viewed 14207 times

This wipend is lasting the whole wip. Has BlitzGirl been tied and gagged by the Outside?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”