The Red Spider Project

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

EvanED

Re: The Red Spider Project

Postby EvanED » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:33 pm UTC

Can I just point out that there are build systems, like SCons, CMake, and Waf, that will handle compiling on different systems without dealing with most of the crap that you'd have to with Make? Both CMake and SCons can be used to generate VS projects too. That's CMake's normal MO since it's a "makefile-generator", and while you wouldn't normally use SCons that way, it could be done.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:15 am UTC

The only thing with generating VS solutions that concerns me is that VS2013 is a much bigger download (and a much heftier tool) than MinGW.
And you have to invoke both the compiler and linker if you want to do things from the command line or by scripts.

But it is the "canonical" tool on Windows I guess.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:10 am UTC

Xenomortis wrote:The only thing with generating VS solutions that concerns me is that VS2013 is a much bigger download (and a much heftier tool) than MinGW.
Not if you have it available already. And SCons/CMake/probably Waf will be perfectly capable of using MinGW (or Cygwin) too.

And you have to invoke both the compiler and linker if you want to do things from the command line or by scripts.
Huh?

Nyktos

Postby Nyktos » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:03 am UTC

EvanED wrote:Huh?
I read that as suggesting that CL.EXE won't invoke the linker on its own, but I'm pretty sure that isn't the case.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:06 am UTC

If you are using cmake, it creates visual studio projects/solutions and in that case you can run msbuild - no need to manually call the compiler.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:32 am UTC

Nyktos wrote:
EvanED wrote:Huh?
I read that as suggesting that CL.EXE won't invoke the linker on its own, but I'm pretty sure that isn't the case.

It didn't when I last tried it.
Maybe it does and I called it wrong.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:16 am UTC

I didn't do much for this project since July 2014. Basically, since a few months after I got a job. I'm fairly sure a similar thing happened to many other people who got involved at the time.

More exactly, I didn't do much for this project until one week ago. Since then, I have merged two pull requests that had been catching dust. From now on, I will try to give the RSP a little bit of care again, once in a while. I will certainly not be as active as I used to be when the project just started, but I hope it will be just enough to help others enjoy the project again.

Currently, the project is rather dusty and I have outgrown it. Brushing it off will be a slow and lonely job at first, but I'm patient. I'm sure I won't be alone forever. If you think you are the kind of person who can enjoy this kind of project, whether new or returning, please drop me a note. I'm most active on GitHub, but I will also be checking the xkcd forums. Even the IRC channel still exists.

(I will be updating the OP after posting this reply, in order to ensure that the OP contains accurate information. If you see this comment, it means I'm not done editing the OP yet.)
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Return to “Coding”