1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

BalthONG 69 (giggle)

Postby mscha » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:22 pm UTC

Back ONGline...
Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment.

ETA: Ah, pope, that's been a while. (The 'bots have been pope, but not me personally.)
Decree: RELATED wipend time consumers (jigsaws, etc.).
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:29 pm UTC

Still plodding along through the ketchup. Up to NP 2024. Or maybe 2025, I can't remember. I have seen so many treeish things, thank you everyone!

I will ketchup more, but first I have to clean my house. And before I do that, apparently I need to take a minicoma with my meowlpy. She's very insistent.

I hope everyone is having wowterful wipends!

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:01 am UTC

Thanks for the AUTOMOME update, Link!
Steakish spotting of temporal inconsistency, SilentTimer - and steakish job Zooman of repairing it!
Ooh, and a new jigsaw to puzzle when I get back to my regular TimeAccessor later todip. Thanks mscha!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:05 am UTC

Edited due to url change.
Last edited by SBN on Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:34 am UTC

yappo "2 inches" - I thought you were British. Not meters?

balthafind found another possible meme = "The best part of waking up is newpix in your cup." - Very automomifiable.

"But it would require changing the internal structure of the mirror and the bots. Not today." - Ah, but one day. ;) I don't think there's much (or any) activity on the other threads. Would a bot really be necessary? A simple manual archiving would probably suffice.
mrob27 "... I also count the 2014 Sadness-related threads (two of them), plus the 2013 Madness announcement/discussion" - The relatedness of the Sadness thread is probably really high. But the announcement threads, I'm not sure of, they seem general, and possibly just "taken over". My thought is sorta like, if these threads count, then these posters are essentially OTTers. Is that true of these additional threads, or just the ones balthasar mentioned? Some of the commentary is important, so maybe they should be included. I can't decide.

BG "Acting a bit more like a mole than a compy, as it were." - So, not only is there the molpiness of an animalH or it's raptorness, but the moleness or compiness of said heretical word. Now I wonder, what would a moleH be called in OTTish? Molepy? What about compyH? Comptor? (That's compy+raptor.)

I fixed some OTToMeme mustard. Hopefully no one encountered it.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

azule
Saved

Re: Blitzreport 20, 795/1370, 1391/2050

Postby azule » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:14 am UTC

taixzo wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:Newpixometer of Taixzo - link doesn't work any more.
Does anyone have the file for my Ubuntu one?
I think that I might. Unless it's the Mac version, but I doubt it.
Attachments
Newpixometer.gz
(568 Bytes) Downloaded 409 times

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:02 am UTC

No more otting tonight - another unmolpish storm that felled neattrees and started raptorfires. Power is out all over the county and I'm writing from a quickly dying MTA. Hopefully the riverish raptorfires near me will be contained and I won't have to RUN anywhere tonight.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

taixzo

Re: Blitzreport 20, 795/1370, 1391/2050

Postby taixzo » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:29 am UTC

azule wrote:
taixzo wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:Newpixometer of Taixzo - link doesn't work any more.
Does anyone have the file for my Ubuntu one?
I think that I might. Unless it's the Mac version, but I doubt it.

Thank you! That is indeed the Ubuntu one! I have placed it back on my server, and now both my useless utilities are accessible again!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ergman

Postby ergman » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:51 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:No more otting tonight - another unmolpish storm that felled neattrees and started raptorfires. Power is out all over the county and I'm writing from a quickly dying MTA. Hopefully the riverish raptorfires near me will be contained and I won't have to RUN anywhere tonight.

eep! hope all is well. I'm molpying down as well, but that's just cause im tired :P
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

waveney

Sandcastle Builder Version 3.65 - YIP

Postby waveney » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:49 am UTC

Lots of fixes, behind the screens changes and a few new things

Code: Select all

#### Waveney
- New boost Glaciation
- New boost Anisoptera (for Wyverns so you can't get it yet)
- Fix to prevent Infnite Blitzing during Coma Molpy Style
- Added Molpify in a few places
- Added Masterpieces to stats
- Stopped Use of blackprints breaking Constructing from Blackprints unnecessarily
- Archimedes Lever is now toggleable
- Stopped mutiple instances of same masterpiece at different stages of construction

#### erp-lsf
- New Favourites Manager Boost (a gentle fave style tool that works in classic as well as normal)
- Fixed some typos
- Improved the API

#### Cloudy the Conqueror
- Fixes to Chromatic Heresy, Anisoptera and Configuring Faves
- Added treeishness to Masterpieces and fixed some descriptions

#### EPSILON
- Reflect pyric deaths in total dragons lost

Enjoy! (And I bet more of this audience will understand why this version is called YIP)

balthasar_s

bftf-0071

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:55 am UTC

Ong.
Spoiler:
-- posted by bothasar_p
Edited to update URL
Last edited by balthasar_s on Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HES

Postby HES » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:29 am UTC

azule wrote:yappo "2 inches" - I thought you were British. Not meters?.

Not sure what the context was, but we use imperial units for road distances/speeds, person height, milk, alcohol, and round number milestones.
He/Him/His Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

bftf-0072

Postby SBN » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:43 am UTC

Spoiler:

Stay safe, BG (and any others dealing with raptorfires.)

Last edited by SBN on Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

ggh

Re: Wipend jigsaw Time

Postby ggh » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:03 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Image
120Image

49:38 - Fun, and thanks! (but I have a feeling I wouldn't have done it last night if I knew how early I as going to have to get up today.)

ucim wrote:
Link wrote:At that size, might it have been a molpybat?
Why didn't I think of that?
Spoiler:
Maybe because I don't follow baseball?
We live next to a swamp wetlands, and it's a good environment for bats and their food. I'm not sure whether the vision of a bat standing guard over our house defending it from mosquitomolps should be comforting or disturbing.

Comforting! I lived rough for a while in Ithaca, and the molpybats were helpful little buddies. If I was pretty still, they'd pluck the mosquitos right out of the air just above me when I would sleep down in the gorge beside the river. One miscalculated once and flew into my elbow. It wasn't much of an impact - he must have been really light - and he was on his way again before you could say 'grapevine, grapevine'.

ChronosDragon wrote:So if I'm not around a lot in the next few days, I'm probably refactoring my assembly lines to accommodate new sources of iron ore, or something like that. Yeah.

This word, 'refactoring'. I see it a lot here. When did this word happen?

SBN wrote:Image

Is that digitally coloured, or chalk or something?

BlitzGirl! Good luck! And check in and tell us you're okay!

For decree: we just fed some duck and goose-molpies/raptors. I think any weekend gets a little better if you can repurpose some stale bread into a molpy-attractor.
Last edited by ggh on Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

balthasar_s

Re: Wipend jigsaw Time

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:15 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
SBN wrote:
Spoiler:

Is that digitally coloured, or chalk or something?

Something:
Spoiler:

Redundant
Spoiler:
space-color.JPG

space-color.PNG

Edited to update URL
Last edited by balthasar_s on Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:20 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:25 pm UTC

BG - hope you're fine after the raptorwinds, and that you are untouched by the rapid oxidation around you.

ggh wrote:Comforting! I lived rough for a while in Ithaca, [...] I would sleep down in the gorge beside the river.
Ithaca, NY? My sister went to college there. I flew up one (rare sunny) day, and a rainstorm the next day filled the plane with water several inches deep and I had to wait almost a week for nice weather and for the plane to drain. (All the water sloshing towards the tail on rotation would have made for an unmolpyish takeoff!)

What were you doing in Ithaca?

ggh wrote:This word, 'refactoring'. I see it a lot here. When did this word happen?
Dunno when it happened, but I came across it for the first time a few years ago. It's a process of rewriting your code bit by bit, testing every time, so that the results are identical but the code is cleaner. The incrementalicity and identicality is what makes it different from the more ordinary rewriting.

I found this about the etymology:
jweyrich from stackoverflow.com wrote:Martin Fowler wrote about the Etymology of Refactoring. Quoting:
The foundations of what we refer to these days as refactoring comes from the Smalltalk communities. However the metaphor of factoring a program was also part of the Forth community. Bill Wake dug out the first known printed mention of the word "refactoring" in a Thinking Forth, a 1984 book by Leo Brodie. We're pretty sure that this usage didn't pass from the Forth community to the Smalltalk community, but developed independently.

Also this, which seems more authoritative.

mscha - one hour on the hotdog. I've enjoyed all of them, I just don't report back with the times. :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:50 pm UTC

ucim wrote:mscha - one hour on the hotdog. I've enjoyed all of them, I just don't report back with the times. :)

I'm with you on that. (I especially don't report back since I always forget there is a pause button for use when a wolpy needs in or out.)

Last edited by SBN on Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:28 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Some Ways to Time

ergman

Postby ergman » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:49 pm UTC

ooh. Like Randall's ONGs, the art is getting fancier and fancier in these balthapix. I felt this rocket sequence was quite gif worthy:

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

mrob27

YOU CAN'T ****D YOUR Q04B AND BLITZNAP IT TOO

Postby mrob27 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:38 pm UTC

I haven't written enough of the Morobu story to be able to provide a chapter this time.

Anyone have mustard while trying to post?

ucim wrote: when we first moved into our house (which has a spotlight at the peak of the roof overlooking a deck), one night I looked up at it and saw what appeared to be a giant butterfly. By giant I mean something like two decicues across. I don't remember the color now but it was either black or white; probably black. I don't have a picture (it was too dark) but I just stared at it for a while, and it didn't move. A friend thought it might have been a luna moth, but pictures of them did not match what I saw. (This is in Connecticut, US).
  It did not look like an ordinary dinosaur; I don't think it was feathered.
  It remains a mystery.

Another bat story: When I was about 14 yips old my parents and I went in the RV (bus-like recreational vehicle) to a campground in New Hampshire, and were sleeping when I heard a bat flapping around. I woke up my parents to tell, they said I should go back to sleep and that it was a "large moth". But it was really a bat. I forget exactly what happened next, but eventually someone turned on the lights and then I showed them the bat, hanging upside down from a curtain at a window near my end of the camper. They kind of freaked out.
  So yes, I think your thing was a bat, but my parents think you should go back to sleep. :D

You say "I want to encourage a more careful play style." Consider however that there are something like twenty five million decisions to be made in order to get to (for example) the "Hello" tile, were they all to be "carefully considered", this level of exaltation would be beyond the reach of mortal molps.

I'm still totally amazed that you've played for over a million moves (the average number of points scored per move is about log2 of the number of moves you've taken, and it takes about 1.3 million moves to get to 25,000,000 points)
  But no, I was only suggesting slowing down when you're about to use a boost. (Read the message that gets displayed, think about what it says, and then execute or cancel.) Notice that in 1.3 million moves and 25,000,000 points, you can only earn 2500 each of the Cueless and Snake! boosts. That means you can only use them a total of 5,000 times which is less than 1/2 of one percent of your moves. I'm only asking you to read a message once out of every 260 moves or so.
  But as you point out, there are many paths to salvation from any "mistake", so in that respect I suppose it doesn't matter too much. People who want to read the message to confirm their action will read it.

As for your suggested fixes, I think we should at least do the color highlight on the icon. Treeishly molpish idea! I thought of that pretty early on, but wanted to avoid having color give an advantage. But that cannot be true: color does give an advantage: it makes it easier to spot when you have two tiles of the same type. So I need to accept the fact that I violated my own idealism when I added Flutterbee.
  To make myself feel better about "giving an unfair advantage to people who use color", I'll select my colors in such a way that they work for most color-blind persons:

Avoid the first column which looks gray to 8% of viewers,
pick 3 or 4 of the other ten,
taking a hint if possible from the tritanopia set

The bright indicator area, with a small message (possibly in a small size font) is a great idea. Here are the five layouts:

(In a Spoiler: because it's seaish:)
Spoiler:
All five Q04B layouts, and my molpy-assisted high score.
Click on the image to see the whole image.

I think I can squeeze something in the blank space next to the title and scores. The worst layout, as usual, is small phone vertical (in upper-right, width 280 height 312). Thank you for the suggestion. The mental block for me was failing to imagine the idea of a redundant message display with a very abbreviated message. It can of course also have color highlight, matching the color used for your first suggestion.

I also noticed that when I make an big tile, (as in the instructions) the boosts don't increment right away. However, I'm not sure I'm getting them all.

Yes, the Cueless and Snake! credits accrue one at a time. You already know this and read the documentation, so here's a spoilered long description for anyone else who is interested, and also to serve as a record of the way it is right now, because it will change in the future:
Spoiler:
Quoting from the Cueless description:

In the instructions, I wrote: When you score a lot of points at once (such as by making a Chateau d'If tile, which is worth 32768), it will take a few more moves to accumulate your earned credits. Messages are displayed one at a time, and credits are earned one at a time; sometimes the messages will lag a bit behind; but the number on the Cueless icon changes immediately.

To see this process in action, use another browser (or using your normal browser, but EXPORT YOUR CURRENT GAME FIRST!), and use Import to go back to this saved game from @ucim:

2:2209952:J:18751394:14:....0..3J2.1F24.5GHI..3F32751220270:63:63:0.1,1.73106,2.118,3.142,4.27,6.18751394

Now form the Rosetta tile. You will observe the Cueless points go up to 119 and the Snake points go up to 143, and a message "YOUR CUELESSNESS IS NOW 119!".
  Make another move: The numbers go up to 120 and 144, with the message "YOU NOW HAVE 143 SNAKE! CREDITS"
  Make another move (possibly forming LaPetite+LBB): The numbers go up to 121 and 145, with the message "YOUR CUELESSNESS IS NOW 120!"
  Make another move: The numbers go up to 122 and 146, with the message "YOU NOW HAVE 144 SNAKE! CREDITS."
  Make another move: The numbers go up to 123 and 147, with the message "YOUR CUELESSNESS IS NOW 121!"
  Make another move: The numbers go up to 124 and 148, with the message "YOU NOW HAVE 145 SNAKE! CREDITS."
  Notice the numbers in the messages lag behind the awarding of credits, just as described in the quoted text above.
  I continued without merging the two La Petite tiles; it took another 14 moves before the points stopped going up, and about 19 more moves after that for the messages to finish.
  When I eventually managed to merge the two La Petite tiles (getting a 2nd Lucky tile), a similar sequence started again. This time I also got the rest of the cascade, making a second Beanette-Amtoo Wedding tile, then making the Beach Reunion ("Hello") tile. It took 187 moves to get the Cueless points up to 321 and Snake up to 345, and about another 187 moves before all the messages were done.

Do I lose them if I visit the options, info, and credits page before they matriculate?

You retain any credits that are displayed on the screen, but you do not gain any additional ones that you might have accumulated if you had kept playing. Credits are earned one at a time.
  You can open the options/info page in a second window or tab to use it while leaving the game undisturbed. To get it to update the game state in the export area, use the reload command on the options page. (But do not reload the game screen itself, that is like navigating away and navigating back.)
  On some phones, turning off the phone is just as bad as closing the page: when you turn on it will reload the page. The same might be true for closing the lid on a laptop computer.
  Clearly the instructions/descriptions are lacking. I will try to make this issue more clear. Also, when you get more than 20 credits in a row, I'll try to make it accumulate the credits more quickly, so you don't have to leave it on the game screen and keep playing for 187 moves in a row.
  I don't want to change this feature of the game, it's deliberate that you have to keep playing a little while longer. However I can save the game-state to the Console Log before making the new big tile. I've been wanting that for a while anyway...

Code: Select all

(re)load game, score 18751394
 20140802.17:47:55  Just imported:
  2:2209952:J:18751394:14:....0..3J2.1F24.5GHI..3F32751220270:63:63:0.1,1.73247,2.118,3.142,4.27,6.18751394
 20140802.17:49:11  Before creating 'Rosetta' tile:
  2:2209952:J:18751944:14:1....10.0.376H.53J2.1F7GI25F5004142:63:63:0.1,1.73247,2.118,3.142,4.27,6.18751944
 20140802.17:49:27  Before creating 'laPetite and LBB' tile:
  2:2209952:J:18817524:14:2060I37JH05373.1GG..2515005........:63:63:0.1,1.73286,2.119,3.143,4.27,6.18751948
 20140802.17:49:59  Before creating 'Lucky on Shed' tile:
  2:2209952:J:18948770:14:21351710H25640.0JH64372I.101....0..:63:63:0.1,1.73988,2.137,3.161,4.27,6.18948770
 20140802.17:50:21  Before creating 'Beanette - Amtoo Wedding' tile:
  2:2209952:J:19211594:14:0....28...26...4I0..12I5.J322170500:63:63:0.1,1.75041,2.164,3.188,4.27,6.19211594
 20140802.17:50:27  Before creating 'Beach Reunion' tile:
  2:2209952:J:19736128:14:4....2....82...370..041..JJ21.12070:63:63:0.1,1.75470,2.175,3.199,4.27,6.19736128
 20140802.17:50:27  First 'Beach Reunion' tile:
  2:2209952:K:20784704:14:....4...21...82..370..041..K2112070:63:63:0.1,1.75509,2.176,3.200,4.27,6.19736128

... this change should already be available, but as always you'll have to reload, Wait and reload again to cache the new version.

These changes will take a while, because I'm working on something a little more urgent:

A stamp collection, A.K.A. "CSS sprites"

Loading a few hundred icons every time slows things down a lot. Go figure. :roll: I've known that for a while but the sticking point was figuring out how to use the CSS sprites in normal HTML. I figured it out.
  Edit: it's been done. 290 image files have been replaced with 4 stamp collections. Q04B now loads only 56 files when downloading its update, versus 346 before: a 6× improvement. I AM MANIFEST, FILE OF FILES. LOOK IN MY INDEX, YE APPLICATION-CACHES, AND REJOICE!
  And yes, there is a gholpy icon for a boost that is not yet implemented. I don't have room for it on the small-phone landscape layout (middle-right in the huge screen-shot above). There is yet another one I haven't made an icon for. Small-phone landscape is really important to me, as it's what almost all iPhone users, (those who haven't installed a 3rd-party browser and don't understand the fullscreen mode in Safari), will see:

When it gets to 8 boost icons, Safari makes the page scrollable
and gameplay suddenly becomes a lot more difficult.

Thank you for the information about your organized sand, and the Floating Cueball problem. I don't see any bug reports for requestAnimationFrame in SeaMonkey, since this irc-log which was 18 mips ago, so presumably no longer relevant. There is a SeaMonkey for Mac so I'll try it soon.

Link wrote: Treeish! I'll make sure to thoroughly scan your meme list before I release the next version.

Oh, I thought you just grabbed the new memes file and used diff to compare it to your personal copy. Would you like me to send you a textfile containing all the deltas since a certain date? Anyway, your new AUTOMOME sounds steakish. I appreciate your explanations, and of course using the Python "foo {0} bar {1}" syntax is an excellent reason for that template format.

Wow, retro-ONG. That's pretty cool :mrgreen:

@Link, okay, great AUTOMOME 3.0! I fetched your source code and diff'd yours against mine, and I found several errors in my own memes (which you corrected in yours), thanks!

azule wrote: The relatedness of the Sadness thread is probably really high. But the announcement threads, I'm not sure of, they seem general, and possibly just "taken over". My thought is sorta like, if these threads count, then these posters are essentially OTTers.

Oh yes, I see what you mean, and that makes sense. Threads where the OTT-related content was incidental, tangental or off-topic wouldn't belong on a mirror. I've archived them anyway.

ggh wrote: Is that digitally coloured, or chalk or something?

Balthasar answered with a couple of treeish images, but did not explain. His black-background drawings are actually just regular drawings on white paper that have been negated, like a photographic negative. For each pixel, take each component of the RGB values and subtract from 100%. For example, if the red is 27%, change it to 73%, and do a similar thing with the green and blue. I think he might adjust the gamma too. He usually then reduces the result to a 16-color or 4-color PNG, creating an effect called posterization or "banding".
  On a Mac you can negativize the entire screen instantly by pressing control-option-command-8 (a feature provided for certain vision impairments). This makes Balthasar's black-background images look like normal drawings. His brown and blue ink are nice complements of each other: the brown becomes a somewhat lighter blue, and the blue becomes a light brown or yellow.

mrob27 Image

Edit: I think I was more like 14 when the bat thing happened

Spoiler:
color-blindness-palette.png
Approximation of how some colours appear to people with common types of color-blindness

Q04B-layouts.png
All five Q04B layouts

NP2053 Mustard is ON.png
Mustard is ON
NP2053 Mustard is ON.png (9.22 KiB) Viewed 14762 times

stamps-40.png
All the 40x40 icons from Q04B (and about 1/3 of the total collection)
Last edited by mrob27 on Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

HES

Postby HES » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:59 pm UTC

Suggestion for automome, though it may seem like cheating: the ability to lock the meme type, and just change the variables. For if you get one that's almost right, and you still want an element of randomisation (as opposed to changing it manually)
He/Him/His Image

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:15 pm UTC

Last edited by SBN on Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Some Ways to Time

Link

Re: YOU CAN'T ****D YOUR Q04B AND BLITZNAP IT TOO

Postby Link » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:12 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:I haven't written enough of the Morobu story to be able to provide a chapter this time.
Aww. :(

mrob27 wrote:
Link wrote: Treeish! I'll make sure to thoroughly scan your meme list before I release the next version.

Oh, I thought you just grabbed the new memes file and used diff to compare it to your personal copy. Would you like me to send you a textfile containing all the deltas since a certain date? Anyway, your new AUTOMOME sounds steakish. I appreciate your explanations, and of course using the Python "foo {0} bar {1}" syntax is an excellent reason for that template format.
I should really start doing that. Usually it's fairly easy to figure out the new memes, though. I don't need any deltas since I was fairly thorough in copying your meme list, but thanks for the offer. I have now saved a version of your list so I can use diff the next time around. :)

Finding ways to build more and more advanced memes without loss of generality is something I find quite dunejumpish. The biggest reason for starting a second seaish rewrite was the increasing number of memes that required ugly kludges or new word categories to build. Looking at the meme lists, it's easy to see that AUTOMOME has evolved far beyond the capabilities of the original AUTOMEME. Even some of the original memes can be made treeisher using selectors and postprocessing lambdas.

mrob27 wrote:@Link, okay, great AUTOMOME 3.0! I fetched your source code and diff'd yours against mine, and I found several errors in my own memes (which you corrected in yours), thanks!
Huh, I don't even recall seeing anything I'd call an error in any of your memes, though I did sometimes apply minor tweaks.

HES wrote:Suggestion for automome, though it may seem like cheating: the ability to lock the meme type, and just change the variables. For if you get one that's almost right, and you still want an element of randomisation (as opposed to changing it manually)
I like this idea. It's easy enough to just pick a fixed index from the list instead of selecting a random one. In the mean time, you can use the filter to achieve more or less the same effect. If you filter by a template-specific substring, you can usually narrow it down fairly well, although generating memes with a filter in place is quite a bit slower.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:34 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:So yes, I think your thing was a bat, but my parents think you should go back to sleep.
Well, I've done a lot of sleeping since I saw the mystery bat, so your parents ought to be happy.

mrob27 wrote:I'm still totally amazed that you've played for over a million moves...
Yes, First Cleric is getting worried, but as Pope, I understand the importance of prayer. :)

mrob27 wrote:...(the average number of points scored per move is about log2 of the number of moves you've taken, and it takes about 1.3 million moves to get to 25,000,000 points)
I'm obviously mustarding the math; I figure that every tile requires two of the previous tiles, except cueballs, which just require a move. So, to make a castle (4 pts) requires two megans, which require four cueballs in all. So in a perfect game the number of points in a tile should equal the number of moves required to make it, no? You'll have more total points (because you keep points from merged tiles), but ignoring random Megans, each move generates a cueball (one potential point), which becomes a point when merged. So the number of moves should be pretty close to the total point value of the visible tiles. No?

mrob27 wrote:But no, I was only suggesting slowing down when you're about to use a boost. (Read the message that gets displayed, think about what it says, and then execute or cancel.)
I do that, but still mustard some of them up. It's because once I've seen each of the messages once, most of the text is irrelevant; the actual message is binary. Having seen the text many times before, I know what it says even as I read the other message! (I've done this even while consciously trying to avoid it).

It matters more when I am exalting a rare tile than when I'm marrying commoners. (oops - another saint fell into the eternal flaming abyss!)

mrob27 wrote:As for your suggested fixes, I think we should at least do the color highlight on the icon. Treeishly molpish idea!
Great! And thank for considering the colorblind.

mrob27 wrote:The bright indicator area, with a small message (possibly in a small size font) is a great idea. [...] I think I can squeeze something in the blank space next to the title and scores.
You could even overlay the scores with a new message if necessary, letting it go away once it's irrelevant.

mrob27 wrote:You can open the options/info page in a second window or tab to use it while leaving the game undisturbed.
I'll have to try that. What I usually do is, just prior to and just after making a big tile, I manually copy the state string to a text file. I'll also do this prior to running Lucky, after compacting a Lucky streak, prior to a risky move, and if I'm going AFK for a while (in case there's organized sand mustard). I guess that has unknowingly cost me many boosts.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:58 pm UTC

* blindpost *

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZzr7GiK02E

In this video I chat with Jake Jarvi, creator of a youtube web-series called Platoon of Power Squadron - if you haven't seen it, you should... it's really amazing and very funny.

I've also made a some updates to kieryn.com to make it a little more user-friendly.

Thank you, everyone for the inspiration to keep going. And who knows, one day I may come out of the basement again, though it's kind of fun down here. Kind of.

-Kieryn
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

balthasar_s

Re: YOU CAN'T ****D YOUR Q04B AND BLITZNAP IT TOO

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:12 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:Balthasar answered with a couple of treeish images, but did not explain. His black-background drawings are actually just regular drawings on white paper that have been negated, like a photographic negative. For each pixel, take each component of the RGB values and subtract from 100%. For example, if the red is 27%, change it to 73%, and do a similar thing with the green and blue. I think he might adjust the gamma too. He usually then reduces the result to a 16-color or 4-color PNG, creating an effect called posterization or "banding".
  On a Mac you can negativize the entire screen instantly by pressing control-option-command-8 (a feature provided for certain vision impairments). This makes Balthasar's black-background images look like normal drawings. His brown and blue ink are nice complements of each other: the brown becomes a somewhat lighter blue, and the blue becomes a light brown or yellow.
I had to do some level-adjustment before converting to 4 (16) colors on the pages scanned on my parents' scanner. The pages scanned on mu uncle's scanner don't need it. I'm converting if to palettes that I defined earlier. so far you have seen:
palette #2: 0123456789ABCDEF
palette #5: 0123
palette #7: 0123456789ABCDEF
Working with only 4 colors makes animations, almost-animations, some kind of manips, and some other things much easier.
(some examples of this. I also used this method in two of my films (not RELATED))
I like drawing withe the blue and brown ink.

Edit from the future: some of the color values in this post are mustarded, sorry!

In this post they are demustarded.
Last edited by balthasar_s on Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:29 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:06 pm UTC

Highly treeish interview, Kieryn! Your facial hair is also most spectacular.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:10 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Act 1 Scene 9
stage manager's copy
notations from the first theatrical production, at the Riviersh Theater by the Big

Spoiler:
At rise: A campground in the late morning, with the evidence of a huge party scattered about. The trunk of a huge tree upstage left, with the inscription "Vytron was here". Hills in the background. -- hills USR Various clerics and scribes and timewaiters walking around getting ready for the day, a little groggy from the previous nights celebration. The Holy Catographer, edfel, is walking with the fourth scribe. -- USR to DSC. Holy Catographer in flowing green robes with gold embroidered border.
edfel wrote:The second scribe has it. She asked for it last night, and I was too tired to remember.
fourth scribe wrote:Don't worry about it. Someone as Meowjestic as you has far too much on your mind to be expected to remember such trivialities.
edfel wrote:Oh, don't go all humble again. I'll get you the map. It needs updating anyway.
The fourth cleric enters, running. -- from beyond the USL tree
fourth cleric wrote:Did you hear? There's another BlitzGirl!
-- they all stop center stage.
fourth scribe wrote:Duh! Why do you think I have this hangover!
fourth cleric wrote:No, really! Wake the Pope - we're going to have to have a cannonization!
edfel wrote:Vytron was just cannonized! Where were you? Swapped out?
fourth cleric wrote:No, not Vytron.
edfel wrote:Yes, Vytron. Who do you think was up there on stage with his foot stuck?
fourth cleric wrote:Ok, don't believe me. Where's the Pope?
The first scribe enters, running. -- from USR
first scribe wrote:The Pope is missing!
fourth scribe wrote:Wha... are you sure? How do you know?
first scribe wrote:The second scribe is missing too.
fourth cleric wrote:What do you mean... "missing"?
fourth scribe wrote:Missing - as in "not here"...as in "gone"...as in "your brain".
edfel wrote:She can't have gone. She has my map!
The First Cleric enters, and a crowd, which includes several heralds, begins to gather. -- FC enters USL in his choo-choo train pajamas
First Cleric wrote:What's this I hear about another BlitzGirl?

The fourth scribe addresses edfel
fourth scribe wrote:That's what I was trying to tell you, your Meowjesty! And it's another cat!
first scribe wrote:Impossible!
fourth scribe wrote:He is here. Or maybe she. How do you sex a cat anyway?
first herald wrote:The fourth scribe wants sex with a cat?
The first herald blows his ram's horn.
first herald wrote:Hear ye, hear ye!--
fourth scribe wrote:No, not me.
first herald wrote:But you just said --
First Cleric wrote:Nobody wants to have sex with a cat.
edfel casts a look at the First Cleric.
First Cleric wrote:No offence, your Meowjesty.
edfel wrote:I would like to meet this...What is his name?
fourth scribe wrote:I've heard him referred to as CasCat, and rumor has it that he's a her.
first scribe wrote:It's still impossible. I've studied all the scrolls. Nobody can Blitz the whole of Time that fast. There'd be evidence.
third scribe wrote:What a Holy Contradiction that would be!
Upon realizing the meaning of this, the first scribe falls to her knees.
first scribe wrote:Dii factum unium verium auctor! Veritrum eis!
First Cleric wrote:Oh, Glory Beesnakes! Call the Pope!
edfel wrote:Have you been listening? There is no Pope!
First Cleric wrote:How could I have been listening? I was asleep.
fourth scribe wrote:You probably still are.
edfel wrote:The Pope and the second scribe are both missing... with my Map. Which needs updating!
fourth cleric wrote:This can only mean bad news
First Cleric wrote:Not for me. Remember what the Pope said a few dix ago? "Your words are to be like my words" or something? I'm Pope of the New Day. Herald - sound the ram's horn! Fetch this cat person! Get my scrolls! We're going to have a cannonization!
edfel wrote:Scrolls? The First Cleric can't even read a map, let alone decypher the ancient writings.
fourth scribe wrote:I have a bad feeling about this.
The first herald exits. -- USR, towards the hills The First Cleric calls after him.
First Cleric wrote:Where are you going?
first herald wrote:To the hills, to sound the ram's horn.
First Cleric wrote:No, no no! Climb the Great Tree! Proclaim to the World that a new BlitzGirl has arrived!
first herald wrote:From the Highest Hill, yes. But not the Great Tree. Don't you remember the last time I tried?
First Cleric wrote:Yes, but this is a stage set. It's all flat scenery, and it's not even all that high. You can do it.
first herald wrote:Oh, allright.
-- note: need to reinforce the tree. Also, have an understudy for the FH. Also, move the tree further away from the orchestra pit.
-- note: Kettledrums are very expensive!

The first herald sounds the ram's horn. The group disperses, and there is a flurry of activity as preparations are made and an impromptu stage is set up for the First Cleric. The Holy Catographer leads CasCat to the foot of the impromptu stage as the First Cleric stands up and says:
First Cleric wrote:We are here to celebrate and commemorate an impossible task, accomplished by someone who cannot possibly be here, but is. And so, I, the First Cleric, by the power granted to me by accident by the Pope of the Holy Contradiction, do make and declare the following proclamation:

The scroll please.
The first scribe hands him the scroll. The First Cleric unrolls it and looks at it quizzically. He pauses. He reads, slowly at first, and then with greater confidence.
First Cleric wrote:Molpy.... molpy... molpy molpy molpy...molpy molpy molpy grapevine grapevine!
The crowd begins dancing and chanting
the crowd wrote:molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine! grapevine!
CasCat looks quizzical herself, but joins in as the tempo picks up:
the crowd, now including CasCat wrote:molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine! grapevine!
-- Stage manager's note: on opening night the audience picked up the chant, got up out of their seats, and started a huge conga line which proceeded up onto the stage, all singing "molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy molpy grapevine! grapevine!. Upon reaching the stage, one of the audience members picked up the broken tree trunk and held it up. The crowd shouted, in unison, "wow tree! Wow, it's a tree!" in rhythm with the molpy molpy ground bass and kept the conga line moving backstage and down towards the dressing rooms. The audience continued their dance past dressing rooms A, and B, and when reaching the larger, third room, somebody shouted "C! C is big!". Security was not called until one of the audience members chanted "A snake! It's a snake!" but by then it was too late. The resulting pandemonium was not brought under control for several hours, and the rest of the script for this scene is unfortunately lost.
Jose
<--previous (NP 751) / table of contents (on xkcd wiki) / next (NP 782)-->

The Internet, and indeed the OTT, are starting to fill up with cats...

Delightful stage play and notes.
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:13 am UTC

Spoiler:
Awesomeful ottifications, BlitzGirl, Minim, BlitzGirl, Gingercat, and yappo!

HES wrote:"No" it was never decided, or "No" you are not GLR?
Soup wrote:"No," it wasn't decided, or "No," you aren't GLR?
HES wrote:GOOMHS! That was a creepily accurate ninjation.
Redundancy FTW! Also, I will not Google image-search "soup getting out of head".

Hi Angelastic! Molpish to see you!
Hi pelrigg! Steakish manip4!

taixzo wrote:
Angelastic wrote:I was just learning German on Duolingo and got the sentence, 'Today we will define how big the sea is.'
Das Meer ist groß. Der Fluss ist klein.
I've used Duolinguo too!
Warten für es!
[pedantic]Warte auf es.[/pedantic]

Eternal Density wrote:
Spoiler:
thanksforfollowONGthedecree!
Mapventure: when the journey to get a map for your adventure is as adventurous as the adventure you want the map for.
Hey, I think I know that island2!
Spoiler:
Mapventure is a treeish newword.
HES wrote:Randamnit it I slept through *** ***! At least I have some ketchuppy icecream to compensate.
Spoiler:
Eternal Density wrote:Centipedes' legs are not very lONG
Spoiler:
That depends on the centipede...

Loved the trebuchat exchange, everymolpy!
adnapemit wrote:Chat is also French for cat so I also read it trebu-shat. But rather than a trebuchet in a hat I keep imagining a trebuchet on a cat.
What about a cat on a trebuchet?
Spoiler:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
HES wrote:Time travelling tea in an imaginary teacup is what I meant by "batteries". I should probably have been more specific.
Okay, that is set up. Now I need to lean how to pick that flagremote up. Being a ghost isn't only fun and games.
HES wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Seaish work7,4 on the PagePopeWikiPage, BlitzGirl!

azule wrote:The recursion in the balthaONGs.... Now I imagine that other recursions occur. Like, stacking hats infinitely, or turtles, and well, something will blow up. Probably turtles. Hide in your shell, ZoomanSP!
*hides* Image

ergman wrote:ooh. Like Randall's ONGs, the art is getting fancier and fancier in these balthapix. I felt this rocket sequence was quite gif worthy:
Spoiler:
Thanks to balthartist for the drawings and ergman for the gif. I spot a herd of molpies appearing in north-eastern Canada, and a single molpy in the Amazon rainforest.

yappobiscuits wrote:Highly treeish interview, Kieryn! Your facial hair is also most spectacular.
Millinewpixed, and millinewpixed.

RSIR:
Spoiler:
1190 Ketchup.jpg

P1080073.JPG

NB_remote.png
NB_remote.png (10.97 KiB) Viewed 14512 times
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Eternal Density

THE FIRST RULE OF BUTTER IS, YOU DON'T TALK ABOUT BUTTER

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:14 am UTC

HES wrote:
ergman wrote:doesn't it snow in southern Australia around now? Tasmania at least, right? that stuff aint tropic. but I don't know where in it you are.

This bit

I have added the location of the EDpix/SeaishPix (ni ni ni ni etc) to the map!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:29 am UTC

Last edited by SBN on Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Some Ways to Time

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:06 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Angelastic wrote:I was just learning German on Duolingo and got the sentence, 'Today we will define how big the sea is.'
Das Meer ist groß. Der Fluss ist klein.
I've used Duolinguo too!
Warten für es!
[pedantic]Warte auf es.[/pedantic]

Ahhh such urges to ottify this song, only I don't know German well enough... (It's a song about how Waiting For It is a molpish thing.)
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:23 am UTC

And molpy down.

Last edited by SBN on Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Some Ways to Time

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:32 am UTC

ggh wrote:BlitzGirl! Good luck! And check in and tell us you're okay!

Thanks! I'm safe and sound. The storm caused quite a seaish amount of damage in the area, many felled neattrees and several raptorfires started by downed powerlines and lightning strikes. But happily the firefighters stopped the one only a couple of kilocues from me, so no RUNning required. And the local power company worked through the night to restore power. It was quite impressive. So now I'm back otting again! :)

Couple of pictures of the raptorfire near me, taken by friends driving by (I was huddled at home):
Spoiler:
raptorfire1.jpg
raptorfire2.jpg
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:38 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Couple of pictures of the raptorfire near me, taken by friends driving by (I was huddled at home):
Gosh, I hope the redundakitties are ok!

Treeish interview Kieryn! I'm sure you have more followers than that though; just not all post there. For example, I'm a follower but don't post there, so you never see me.

Jose

ergman

Postby ergman » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:55 am UTC

molpying down, And figured I should mention that I'll be off on a camping trip for a few days, exploring like Cuegan and getting devoured by facebugs. Of course, I've probably dissapeared for longer than that without an explanation. I look forward to a hefty ketchup on my return!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:29 am UTC

Have a molpish journey, ergman! Image

New Othercomic has arrived in which Megan exchanges her thwapstick for a shinier, pointier weapon.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:47 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Have a molpish journey, ergman! Image

New Othercomic has arrived in which Megan exchanges her thwapstick for a shinier, pointier weapon.

I feel like thesis defense would be a lot more exciting if it were like this all the time. We could have thesis arenas where people come from all over to watch grad students battle for doctorate degrees!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:51 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
HES wrote:Time travelling tea in an imaginary teacup is what I meant by "batteries". I should probably have been more specific.
Okay, that is set up. Now I need to lean how to pick that flagremote up. Being a ghost isn't only fun and games.
HES wrote:
Spoiler:

Brillilous! *avatarred*
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:52 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote: We could have thesis arenas where people come from all over to watch grad students battle for doctorate degrees!

And some of the grad students would be raptorcats!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:54 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote: We could have thesis arenas where people come from all over to watch grad students battle for doctorate degrees!

And some of the grad students would be raptorcats!

So that's why relatively many students pick up swordfighting!
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”