1403: "Thesis Defense"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

1403: "Thesis Defense"

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:46 am UTC

MY RESULTS ARE A SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT ON THE STATE OF THE AAAAAAAAAAAART

It could work.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

mschmidt62

Re: 1403: "Thesis Defense"

Postby mschmidt62 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:49 am UTC

I find this cartoon troubling, because I remember this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego_ ... y_shooting.

Maybe Randall was too young and too far away to remember.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:57 am UTC

Obligatory:
FAQ: The “Snake Fight” Portion of Your Thesis Defense

mschmidt62 wrote:I find this cartoon troubling, because I remember this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego_ ... y_shooting.

Oh. Um, yikes.

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:03 am UTC

"Miss, when we said 'open minds to new ideas,' we didn't mean with a Medieval broadsword."

DrBatman

Postby DrBatman » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:08 am UTC

Created an account FINALLY after many years of reading for the petty purpose of asking:

Can someone magnify and perspecti..fy... the writing on the board?

keithl

Postby keithl » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:13 am UTC

This is how I got my PhDs. Three of them, heads mounted on trophy plaques in my office, between the rhino and the bull moose. Computer science candidates use automatic weapons, but after a year at Kyoto University, learning advanced semiconductor processing and swordsmanship, I now understand that traditional forms of academic advancement should be cherished and preserved. I'm pleased that Rōshi Munroe agrees.

Wooloomooloo

Postby Wooloomooloo » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:12 am UTC

Hmmm, this kinda looks like the Kikuchiyo offense to me...

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:39 am UTC

This is how they've done it in the Theology Department for the last 800 years.

bitwiseshiftleft

Postby bitwiseshiftleft » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:57 am UTC

Not the most tasteful comic Randall has ever posted.

But maybe it's just part of the snake fight.

Shoaler

Postby Shoaler » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:22 am UTC

Perhaps if the candidate were leaping over a shark...

HurryCoward

Postby HurryCoward » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:23 am UTC

DrBatman wrote:Created an account FINALLY after many years of reading for the petty purpose of asking:

I too just created an accout because i came here with the same question and nobody had answerd it yet.
I would post it but this forums shoddy spam prevention bullshit keeps me from linking to anything. You still can not see anything on the blurry magnified image i made, so nothing of value was lost.

HurryCoward

Postby HurryCoward » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:32 am UTC

and now my post is stuck in the modaration queue. all this bureaucracy just for a single forum post? fuck this i'm out
not worth it

Hamsvlekiss

Postby Hamsvlekiss » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:10 am UTC

mschmidt62 wrote:I find this cartoon troubling, because I remember this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego_ ... y_shooting.

I find this troubling because I remember the Middle Ages.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:16 am UTC

DrBatman wrote:Created an account FINALLY after many years of reading for the petty purpose of asking:

A simple sharpen effect is a little insightful, but it's still pretty tough to make out. My first coherent thought was "The Effects of Turtle Displays in Moods", but the second word is definitely wrong.

The last word starts with M and ends with S, and has either two letters and a D or maybe three letters and an L. A dictionary search of ^m(..d|...l)s$ didn't give much besides "moods" though. Possibly maids/minds/meads, or morals/murals if she has tremendously sloppy handwriting.

I need sleep, but now I want to figure this out...
Attachments
thesissharpen.png
thesissharpen.png (9.29 KiB) Viewed 15500 times

niauropsaka

Postby niauropsaka » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:51 am UTC

Well, I laughed.

mekily

Postby mekily » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:24 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:

A simple sharpen effect is a little insightful, but it's still pretty tough to make out. My first coherent thought was "The Effects of Turtle Displays in Moods", but the second word is definitely wrong.

The last word starts with M and ends with S, and has either two letters and a D or maybe three letters and an L. A dictionary search of ^m(..d|...l)s$ didn't give much besides "moods" though. Possibly maids/minds/meads, or morals/murals if she has tremendously sloppy handwriting.

I need sleep, but now I want to figure this out...

I see "The (Effects/Evolution) of Thesis Displays on Moods". "Effects" makes more sense with the sentence, but the word looks more like "Evolution". Something's still not quite right, but that's what I see.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:44 am UTC

The Exeter & Turd
Deplage & Merde

log the (something) eyes

Celtitribe buys the Karloff
(something)

Also, wouldn't it be nifty for your thesis defense if the thesis itself were offensive?
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:25 pm UTC

Next up: Cueball and BHG show up at phdcomics . Hey, turnabout is fair play!
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:25 pm UTC

HurryCoward wrote:and now my post is stuck in the modaration queue. all this bureaucracy just for a single forum post? fuck this i'm out
not worth it

And nothing of value was lost
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

scalziand

Postby scalziand » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:48 pm UTC

A True and Complete History of the Settlement and Development of the Castle AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGH

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:06 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
HurryCoward wrote:and now my post is stuck in the modaration queue. all this bureaucracy just for a single forum post? fuck this i'm out
not worth it

I remember coming across a post the other day where a newbie, in their first post, betrayed that they'd actually read the forum rules. I thought the forum was like Paranoia, where betraying knowledge of the rules is evidence of treason and grounds for termination...

HurryCoward

Postby HurryCoward » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:23 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
not worth it

why are you so mean? :(

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:38 pm UTC

HurryCoward wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:
not worth it

why are you so mean? :(

It builds character

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:56 pm UTC

HurryCoward wrote:why are you so mean? :(
You're back? Amazing.

At any rate, I... really, really recommend reading the forum rules. Yes, it's a pain that your first post is locked in a queue.

Your temporary discomfort saves the modstaff hours of moderating a week. And not useful moderating, not even combining double-posts into one. No, just dealing with Chinese and Russian spam moderating. Instead of having to hunt it down and/or rely on people to report it, it simply never happens in the first place.

And getting out? Takes two posts before no one has to approve anything ever again, and three more for linking rights.

Five posts.

The people on the forum so far like a community. This isn't 4chan or even reddit where you have a name but no one really cares unless you really, really, really screw up or are incredibly awesome. This is a place where people want to get to know each other and talk about the same dumb stuff they're in to, like comics and Spanish and chemical bonds.

So yes, the idea is that you'll come here and spend some time and rack up triple digits in posts over a year. Or less.

This particular subforum - Individual Comic Threads - sees the highest amount of post and leave. One, two posts, user's gone forever. User also rarely ever bothers to read the rules and then has the audacity to complain about being unable to do something that the rules explicitly deny and explain why they are denied.

...well, it's kinda hard for me to care about that particular person's plight. They come, post once, and I never see them again. Their wants and needs aren't even a blip on my radar. The user with 30 posts having a problem or wanting to discuss a rule? That's important, let's talk about it, we can come to some sort of arrangement or at least a clarification on why the rule is as it is. And sometimes even refine the rules if the user points out a problem that hadn't been noticed.

One-Post Joe complaining that he can't link something when One-Post Joe isn't even planning on staying anyway? I don't care.

Now, I see posts all the time that have text that's basically "I know I'm not supposed to do this, but the relevant link is three Ws DOT ANeatWebsite DOT com." And those I let through and leave alone, sometimes reply with a lickable version of their link, because there's the acknowledgement that they at least glanced at the rules and understand they aren't supposed to do something, but it's relevant.

And I've got a lot more respect for someone who is breaking a rule but knows it as opposed to someone who didn't even bother to find out what rule was being broken.

So yeah, you're out of the new user queue. You're more than welcome to stick around - I rather enjoy it here, though I admit I'm biased in that I like High Culture, General and FaiD the best, the last one especially having an...interesting community. Read, look around, it's nice here.

Just... check out the rules real quick. They're mostly basic, you probably know them already, but there's a couple of variants here and there, and a lot of subforums have their own subset of rules. And the forum guide is good reading too.

rachavez

Postby rachavez » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:23 pm UTC

I realize others have pointed this out, but still ... This happened, not with a sword, but with a gun. 3 professors died because a grad student was sure he would not get his degree.

keithl

Postby keithl » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:19 pm UTC

HurryCoward wrote:why are you so mean? :(
SecondTalon wrote:At any rate, I... really, really recommend ...(many words omitted) the forum guide is good reading too.
in 1968, AP Correspondent Peter Arnett wrote: 'It became necessary to destroy the town to save it', a United States major said today.
Let this be a warning to all whining newbies - ignore the rules, and you will be hit by a kiloword mod bomb. Follow the rules, and fear my own kiloword blatherings. It's a free fire zone here, almost as dangerous as a thesis defense, and there will be casualties.

speising

Postby speising » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:25 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
a lickable version of their link,

i want those!

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:27 pm UTC

Lickable links? The improvements in touchscreen technology continue to amaze me.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:06 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Lickable links? The improvements in touchscreen technology continue to amaze me.

It's all due to capacitive touch technology.
A moist tongue covered in saliva allows for the best touch experience, much better than a dry finger. :mrgreen:

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:23 pm UTC

speising wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:

i want those!

BlitzGirl wrote:Lickable links? The improvements in touchscreen technology continue to amaze me.
The Comic links taste like orange. Associate Press links taste like burning. NSFW links taste like.... you know what? I'll let you find out for yourself.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:42 pm UTC

speising wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:

i want those!

When I was young, I used to have an astronomy book with a picture of the Horsehead Nebula on the cover. At the bottom there was a credit that said "Lick Observatory Photograph".

I chose to read that line as an imperative.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:48 pm UTC

OH MY GOG TH1S R3D 1S D3L1C1OUS

SlimAndSlam

Postby SlimAndSlam » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:13 am UTC

Is this the first time that Randall has (unintentionally) cribbed from a New Yorker cartoon?

Since this is my first post, I can't post a link, but interested people can go to the New Yorker's cartoon archive (cartoonbank dot com) and do a search on the phrase "An excellent defense." It will lead to a cartoon by J.B. Handelsman, first published in the 14 September 1987 issue.

Small world.

willpellmn

Postby willpellmn » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:38 am UTC

Literal LOL. Funniest one in a long time. He's done plenty of clever and cute bits, but two things have been missing for a few weeks at least - flat-out gut-busting humor (check) and magnificently beautiful panoramas of inspiration (whose rarity is understandable, as they are doubtless more work to draw).

Nnelg

Postby Nnelg » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:35 pm UTC

I come on to find out if anyone had figured out the screen text yet. Instead I find a dissertation on forum policy which turned into a Homestuck reference. :P
keithl wrote:As a rule of thumb, it is imprudent to pass over speed bumps faster than orbital velocity.

compscillb

Postby compscillb » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:20 pm UTC

Since noone else has suggested it my best guess is that the last word is "Murder" (thematic).

Breaking this down somewhat systemically (using a probably bad system)

First line: W1 W2 W3 W4
Second line: W5 W6 W7

My guess is that W1 is "The" and W4 is "Third" then W7 = "Murder".

W5 I want to be "Degree" but it just doesn't look like it is.

Anything beyond that is (literally) a blur to me.

I should probably get around to reading those forum rules at some stage.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:57 pm UTC

Nnelg wrote:I come on to find out if anyone had figured out the screen text yet. Instead I find a dissertation on forum policy which turned into a Homestuck reference. :P

The (something) of ?Thesis Defense? (something) Murder.

The and Of I'm basically 100% on, it's either Murder or Mordor, and Thesis Defense is my best guess.

I have no idea what the remaining two words are.

compscillb

Postby compscillb » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:13 pm UTC

and Thesis Defense is my best guess.

Perhaps: The Extract: A Thesis Defense in Murder

The Devils Engineer

Postby The Devils Engineer » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:54 pm UTC

rachavez wrote:I realize others have pointed this out, but still ... This happened, not with a sword, but with a gun. 3 professors died because a grad student was sure he would not get his degree.

Hi All. Long time Lurker, first time poster. I finally made an account to comment on the above comments and the comic.

First of all, I found the comic to be very funny. I got a grin and a chuckle out of it (especially the Alt Text).

Secondly, I find it funny even though I was peripherally involved in the shooting events. I was just entering my Senior Year of mechanical engineering at SDSU at the time of the shooting and I knew two of the Profs quite well (Lowery and Liang). I had taken a course from Lowery the semester beforehand (Got a C+. That grade was better than what 3/4 of the class got and I'm still proud of it) and I was scheduled to take a course with Liang the upcoming semester. I also casually knew the shooter. Everyone in the ME department did.

Thirdly, everyone in academia knows about and comments on the stress felt by students in thesis defenses. One of my other Professors at the ME department even had a drawing, not that much different from the cartoon, posted in his office for many years.

My point is that it's Ok for this comic to bring you amusement. Humor is one of the ways we heal from tragedies such as this and, for most of the people involved (but not all unfortunately), time has put enough distance from the shooting events to now that we can go on with life. We can even find humor in a comic that the one posted.

Thank you for putting up with my comments. G.

ifoundashoe

Postby ifoundashoe » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:32 am UTC

this is my least favorite comic in a long time. i was an engineering grad student at sdsu when this happened and my advisor was one of the professors killed. :cry:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”