1413: "Suddenly Popular"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

HES

1413: "Suddenly Popular"

Postby HES » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:04 am UTC

Title-text: "Are Your Teens Practicing Amplexus? Learn These Six Telltale Signs!"

At least they're unlikely to become pregnant that way.
He/Him/His Image

Neil_Boekend

Re: 1413: "Suddenly Popular"

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:15 am UTC

HES wrote:At least they're unlikely to become pregnant that way.

I don't know about that. According to my research many things can be precursor to pregnancy risky activities. Who knows about amplexus if having pizza delivered is so risky?
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:20 am UTC

2014 ← GAZEBO OINTMENT
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:27 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:2014 ← GAZEBO OINTMENT

Randall The Creator said "everyone" without context, so you're not to assume he meant "within the OTT". :roll:
[edit] I'm sorry, I thought it was OTT nomenclature, when in fact it's what Cory Doctorow said in a speech. [/edit]

I hope "drone desertion" will only consist of pacifist drones, not radicalised ones claiming a DS.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:31 am UTC

Yes, that phrase is not an OTT creation. :P That's from Randall's acceptance speech at the Hugo awards.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:16 am UTC

You left out "Haboob" (circa 2012) and "Ice Bucket Challenge" (the last two weeks or so).

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:21 am UTC

Flumble wrote:
I hope "drone desertion" will only consist of pacifist drones, not radicalised ones claiming a DS.

Wait... radicalized drones claim their own Nintendo Dual-Screen gaming systems?
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

roband

Postby roband » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:21 am UTC

In soccer, "metatarsal" became a hugely used word a few years ago. Did no-one break them before that?
More recently, "hyper extension" has had a similar burst.

In Formula 1, EVERY driver started saying "for sure" instead of "yes" a couple of years ago, and they're still going.

Stuff like this interests me. Especially in my friend groups, where I see words pop up and die down over time.

petz

Postby petz » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:29 am UTC

20 years ago, no one would have known about a "super moon".

PayasYouDraw

Postby PayasYouDraw » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:41 am UTC

roband wrote:
In Formula 1, EVERY driver started saying "for sure" instead of "yes" a couple of years ago, and they're still going.

I'm not sure if the F1 "for sure" is applicable to every situation where "yes" would do, but it is widespread as a term of agreement or confirmation, for sure.

I for sure blame Felipe Massa.
Ah-ooooh! Rolling back the rivers in Time!

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:43 am UTC

roband wrote:In soccer, "metatarsal" became a hugely used word a few years ago. Did no-one break them before that?

I suspect that, before David Beckham, a footballer would have simply broken his foot. But these days, every bone in a footballer's body is worth over a million pounds, so we have to worry about them individually.

Disappointingly, important though it seemed at the time, Beckham's predicament (in 2002) doesn't appear to register on the Google ngrams graph for metatarsal.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:51 am UTC

I'm wondering where in that timeline 'meme' fits.

I've had fun conversations with people around my age who don't know the word is older than they are.

Plasma Mongoose

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:53 am UTC

Sometime after 2005: The word TROPE started to rear its head.
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"

Vo2max

Postby Vo2max » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:15 pm UTC

PayasYouDraw wrote:
roband wrote:

I'm not sure if the F1 "for sure" is applicable to every situation where "yes" would do, but it is widespread as a term of agreement or confirmation, for sure.

Maybe it really belongs here but I was talking with someone about 'for sure' recently, it's so common among Euro-continental-ESL-types that I wonder whence does it come? It's always Dutch or Belgian or German or Spanish or Italian people I hear saying it - I don't know of any common phrase they have that gets rendered as 'for sure' in English, but maybe there is one? It's certainly not just F1 drivers that do it.

A similar one is that a few years ago 'yes' became almost totally replaced by 'absolutely'. Then that stopped and now almost every response to a question in interviews with celebs/sportspeople begins 'Yes, no, definitely'.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:41 pm UTC

I think this stems from the issue that "yes" is too short a word. One-syllable answers are awkward, which trips me up whenever I'm asked my name. I usually have to precede it with an "er..."
He/Him/His Image

roband

Postby roband » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:53 pm UTC

Vo2max wrote:
PayasYouDraw wrote:
roband wrote:

Maybe it really belongs here but I was talking with someone about 'for sure' recently, it's so common among Euro-continental-ESL-types that I wonder whence does it come? It's always Dutch or Belgian or German or Spanish or Italian people I hear saying it - I don't know of any common phrase they have that gets rendered as 'for sure' in English, but maybe there is one? It's certainly not just F1 drivers that do it.

I agree that the mainland-European drivers started it, but it's gotten to be a "popular" word to the point where the English drivers (and other F1 team staff) say it a lot too.

This report has Hamilton quoted as saying it - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115474
This has Christian Horner quoted - http://www1.skysports.com/f1/report/124 ... n-hungary-

It's extremely (and a little absurdly) prevalent, specifically in this sport.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:11 pm UTC

Presumably it's just epidemiology. In any community, a phrase can catch on and spread like wildfire before disappearing as quickly as it came. I guess those drivers spend a lot of time together, watch each other's interviews, interact with a lot of the same people, etc. I remember a tennis player1 talking about the women's tennis circuit, and pointing out that the players essentially saw each other as colleagues. Sure, there's rivalry and the profession is intrinsically competitive, but there is competition and rivalry in most professions. And if you hang out with the same people a lot, you'll end up picking up words, idioms, and phrasing from one another. It happens in workplaces, in groups of school or college friends, everywhere.

1 or maybe it was an Olympic diver...

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:47 pm UTC

roband wrote:In soccer, "metatarsal" became a hugely used word a few years ago. Did no-one break them before that?
More recently, "hyper extension" has had a similar burst.

Stuff like this interests me. Especially in my friend groups, where I see words pop up and die down over time.

I remember when Beckham was sent off in a World Cup game against Argentina, for kicking out at a player, and someone used the word 'petulant'.

And then the press kept using the word. It was like their new thing ...oooh, look at us, we learned a new word!

Do a Google search for petulant beckham to see what I mean.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:02 pm UTC

petz wrote:20 years ago, no one would have known about a "super moon".

Isn't that one of those Japanese series where schoolkids are secretly ninjas or something?

elwood

Postby elwood » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:07 pm UTC

HES wrote:I think this stems from the issue that "yes" is too short a word. One-syllable answers are awkward, which trips me up whenever I'm asked my name. I usually have to precede it with an "er..."

The name izh Bond

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:18 pm UTC

Jackpot777 wrote:
roband wrote:In soccer, "metatarsal" became a hugely used word a few years ago. Did no-one break them before that? [...]

I remember when Beckham was sent off in a World Cup game against Argentina, for kicking out at a player, and someone used the word 'petulant'.

And then the press kept using the word. It was like their new thing ...oooh, look at us, we learned a new word!

Do a Google search for petulant beckham to see what I mean.

Yeah, I definitely learned both petulant and metatarsal thanks to Becks. Though the way I perceived it, the press started using petulant casually, like they'd known it all along.

The Devils Engineer

Postby The Devils Engineer » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:19 pm UTC

2039 <--- "Flying Car"

I want my flying car... :D

G.
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.”
“The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.”

― Mark Twain

scotty2haughty

Postby scotty2haughty » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:43 pm UTC

Regarding tsunami:

Didn't the big tsunami hit in 2004? I was in Australia at the time, which is the only reason I remember the date.
/s/

HES

Postby HES » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:00 pm UTC

scotty2haughty wrote:Didn't the big tsunami hit in 2004?

This would suggest so:
tsunami.PNG
He/Him/His Image

Zinho

Postby Zinho » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:03 pm UTC

Vo2max wrote:
PayasYouDraw wrote:
roband wrote:

A similar one is that a few years ago 'yes' became almost totally replaced by 'absolutely'. Then that stopped and now almost every response to a question in interviews with celebs/sportspeople begins 'Yes, no, definitely'.

I can't speak for the other languages, but in Italian the word "Certo!" is used as an interjection. It fits into conversation in about the same place as the "for sure" you're talking about. I've heard it translated as "certainly" (decent literal translation) and "of course" (decent colloquial translation). I didn't remember hearing many Italians using the English phrase "for sure" when I was there 93-95; that may help bracket the time of the change.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:17 pm UTC

elwood wrote:
HES wrote:I think this stems from the issue that "yes" is too short a word. One-syllable answers are awkward, which trips me up whenever I'm asked my name. I usually have to precede it with an "er..."

The name izh Bond

LaurieCheers

Postby LaurieCheers » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:26 pm UTC

Oh come on Randall, what happened? Getting sloppy? Getting over your obsession?

1993: Velociraptor

Sunidesus

Postby Sunidesus » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:24 pm UTC

pkcommando wrote:I'm wondering where in that timeline 'meme' fits.

I've had fun conversations with people around my age who don't know the word is older than they are.

Had a similar conversation with my mom the last time I was home. We were playing Boggle and she found "meme" but didn't think it'd be in the dictionary because it's "too new".

Introbulus

Postby Introbulus » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:35 pm UTC

Oh come on Randall, what happened? Getting sloppy? Getting over your obsession?

1993: Velociraptor

I'd like to see the list going the opposite direction myself - I'm not interested in what Randall suspects will be popular terms in the next 20 years, especially since all attempts to predict future trends thus far have proven completely catastrophic.

Though I'm not sure if I trust Randall's research...I had to look up Militia Movment, Supermax, and Butterfly Ballot, and I was alive in all of those years.
If you can read this, you are wasting your time.

hamjudo

Postby hamjudo » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:48 pm UTC

Okay folks, we've got 13 or 14 years to work on controlled hydroplaning. Let's get busy.

Many boats are designed to hydroplane, and they are well controlled, so that can't be it. I'm guessing we need to come up with techniques for controlled hydroplane maneuvers in land vehicle such as a bicycles, motorcycles, trucks, or passenger cars.

Let's break up into 3 teams. Team "A", find some suitable large flat areas that we can flood to between 5 and 20 millimeters deep. Team "B", get some vehicles we can modify, and take them to the areas identified by Team "A". Team "C", get your power tools, we've got a lot of work to do in the next 13 years.

It is very important that we don't make a big deal about this under the name "controlled hydroplaning" in the first decade. We don't want to screw up Randal's timeline. I suggest we come up with some alternative names with intellectual property rights issues, so we can make the technique, sport, or whatever popular before 2028, but have a justification for switching to the name "controlled hydroplaning" on schedule.

Incidentally, I made the typo controlled hydroplanning on the first draft. That's where we take control of the schedule of the committee that decides where dams can be put on rivers or when they should be removed. It may seem pointless, but a lot of little dams were built between 100 and 180 years ago. We really need to speed up the process of removing them entirely where possible, or replace them with more modern dams that make the rivers healthier.

Caesar

Postby Caesar » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:54 pm UTC

Burton

Postby Burton » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:42 pm UTC

2101 <- War was beginning

sjorford

Postby sjorford » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:07 pm UTC

Where's "trochee" on this list?

Thermohaline drone desertion? Insect-borne militia movement?

Eternal Density

I SWEAR ALLEGIANCE TO THE GOD-EMPRESS IN LIFE AND IN DEATH

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:10 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:You left out "Haboob" (circa 2012) and "Ice Bucket Challenge" (the last two weeks or so).

Hipsters have been doing the Hot Water Bucket Challenge before it was cool.

Burton wrote:2101 <- War was beginning

*applause*

sjorford wrote:Where's "trochee" on this list?

Thermohaline drone desertion? Insect-borne militia movement?

Help, the TMNT theme is in my head again!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Klear

Postby Klear » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:41 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:Image

I am still weirded out by the fact that characters like Groot and Rocket Raccoon have entered the general pop-cultural awareness. I read the comics when they first came out in 2008 and despite being absolutely fantastic, I believe it was relatively obscure comic book even among Marvel fans...

Also, taking about the movie automatically makes me sound like a hipster, so I'm not so thrilled by that =P

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:24 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
da Doctah wrote:Image

I am still weirded out by the fact that characters like Groot and Rocket Raccoon have entered the general pop-cultural awareness. I read the comics when they first came out in 2008 and despite being absolutely fantastic, I believe it was relatively obscure comic book even among Marvel fans...

Also, taking about the movie automatically makes me sound like a hipster, so I'm not so thrilled by that =P

What does it say about me that I tried to co-opt the Star-Lord character clear back in the late '70s for a series of music videos (where his teammates were a WWI German pilot, a subaquatic fish-man, and a Gene Simmonsesque devil character)? Until I saw the first promos for the movie, I had only vague awareness that Marvel had revived him at all.

Coyoty

Postby Coyoty » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:39 pm UTC

The Devils Engineer wrote:2039 <--- "Flying Car"

G.

You can get a flying car right now. And a jet pack, and other things the future promised. You just have to pay for them and train to use them. Everyone seems to think that stuff would be given to them with no instructions required.

Trickster

Postby Trickster » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:59 pm UTC

I just wanted to warn you all that I am the God-Empress.

Kinda surprised I make it to 2040, but nice to know.

Also I'm pretty sure if you try to imitate amplexus, you can in fact end up with pregnancy. Nature finds a way. --the late Jeff Goldblum

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:43 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:"Ice Bucket Challenge" (the last two weeks or so).
The Devils Engineer wrote:2039 <--- "Flying Car"

G.
I feel like you two don't understand the point of this comic. None of those are obscure terms.

Introbulus wrote:I'd like to see the list going the opposite direction myself - I'm not interested in what Randall suspects will be popular terms in the next 20 years, especially since all attempts to predict future trends thus far have proven completely catastrophic.
Well yeah, but it is after all a comic that tries to be funny more often than merely informative (not that I mind the pure infographic ones, of course).

Though I'm not sure if I trust Randall's research...I had to look up Militia Movment, Supermax, and Butterfly Ballot, and I was alive in all of those years.
Really? I feel like you must not have been paying much attention to national events if you didn't pick up on "militia" after the Oklahoma City bombing or different ballot terminology during Bush v. Gore.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

WilliamLehnsherr

Postby WilliamLehnsherr » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:57 am UTC

Was tsunami really an obscure word prior to the one in 2004? I'm pretty sure I was taught the word in primary school. Then again I'm from Australia and hence pretty close to the part of the world where that word is mostly used. And I might be falling into the trap of believing everything I know is common knowledge.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”