1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

balthasar_s

Re: Time before BFTF

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:07 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:TIME AFTER TI BEFORE BFTF:
(http://moonbase.chirpingmustard.com/ongmeta.htm)
I added a link to the website. Is the link text okay?
I think it is.
By the way, I have extended the Dialogue in the SlientONGs wiki page,
including the counting frame (t1i-0925).

Now we only have to complete the SilentONGs periods page and we will have everything.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

HES

Re: The Molpy Returns

Postby HES » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:22 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Still feeling a little steambottlish from the celebratory booze on Fridip night.

That can't have been helped by your hamply half's celebratory booze on Saturdip night.

adnapemit wrote:In the latest episode of Doctor Who, The Doctor travels to 1190 A.D (ish). :D

And he travels to the place where this very hamply lived during the first run of Time. And there was a castle. And there was a spoon, which is RELATED because they can be used to make mini-catapults which are a bit like mini trebuchets.
He/Him/His Image

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:01 pm UTC

Now I'll try some of these boosts boobs.
Spoiler:
RSIR:
Spoiler:
Rosetta.png
Edited for 900th post.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

yappobiscuits

Re: The Molpy Returns

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:05 pm UTC

HES wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:Still feeling a little steambottlish from the celebratory booze on Fridip night.

That can't have been helped by your hamply half's celebratory booze on Saturdip night.

Well this explains why I was hungover for TWO dips instead of just one...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:30 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:Image

This almost made me cry. And one good cake deserves another:
I think "torta" is Italian for "tortoise."

Sustainabilizer wrote:Welcome back home, lmjb1964! Congratulations on your new Sulas².

²: accusative plural of Sula

hahaha no blue feet though. :)
And I just now saw your hat! Have you had it long and I just never noticed?

adnapemit wrote:In the latest episode of Doctor Who, The Doctor travels to 1190 A.D (ish). :D

:shock: If he then travels to 11000 A.D., we'll know something is up.

Yappo, congrats to Iron Wolpy on their first album! Can't wait to hear it, andI hope the related tour comes through California. :wink:
Redundant:
Spoiler:
Crown-of-Delights-torta_900-foto-300x296.jpg
Crown-of-Delights-torta_900-foto-300x296.jpg (27.37 KiB) Viewed 37519 times

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

ergman

Postby ergman » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:46 pm UTC

asking for a signature in beanish is a brilliant idea, assuming GLR knows we call it beanish. If anyone else is going to one of these things, try and do that. we need the hints!

sigh, typing is so unmolpish for me at the moment, because I have this mysterious keyboard lag issue going on. I can't tell if it's a software thing or a hardware thing, but it sure is frustrating.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:26 pm UTC

ergman wrote:sigh, typing is so unmolpish for me at the moment, because I have this mysterious keyboard lag issue going on. I can't tell if it's a software thing or a hardware thing, but it sure is frustrating.
If it's acting slow and unresponsive you should probably take it to the vet for medical tests. Is it having trouble sleeping? Is it eating well?

Sustainabilizer

Bicycles After Time: bftf-0279

Postby Sustainabilizer » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:35 pm UTC

Happy 900, ZoomanSP! Sorry that I missed your round number (1110000000).
Have some cake:
Spoiler:
Taking the square of it is left to the celebrated person as an exercise.

balthasar_s wrote:Now we only have to complete the SilentONGs periods page and we will have everything.
I have reached t1i-1295; still 119 to go.
Also, the Beanish texts are still missing. (Could all of them be translated?)

lmjb1964 wrote:And I just now saw your hat! Have you had it long and I just never noticed?
I owe my hat to ergman. Image See here and there.

Also, THE NEXT ONE GOT NERDSNIPED …
Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment.
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Help for addams completed successfully. Thanks!

ergman

Postby ergman » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:59 pm UTC

hmmmmmmmmm. testing... testing...

It seems fixed. But I really don't know why, I don't feel like I've solved anything. I restarded my computer, the leopard was completely dead, restarted again in safemode, worked perfectly, restarted again normally, was working fine, but now halfway through this post its breaking down again. :cry: this is the worst thing.

edit: testing...testing...

I think its over. Apparantly, my touchpad drivers were ruining everything, for some reason. Those are gone and it seems fine, although I loath to think what will happen when my mouse kicks the (tre)bucket.

sorry for that unrelatedness rant. I'll get back to molpying and such.

About the terraria server, y'all who use it should add me on steam, so I know when you're playing and vice versa! my steam name is erg.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Eternal Density

MAYBE THE SILICONE IS A METAPHOR FOR THAT

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:20 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Thanks for the random-name generator, ED, I mean Hotdog-Baker of Time. It is silly and therefore molpish.
You're very welcome! :D :D

So, todip I plan to make something molpish for OTTers. I plan on calling it CueMegAll. Take from that what you will.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

mrob27

OTZOE: ONE TRUE ZOMBIE OTTER EYEBALL

Postby mrob27 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:51 pm UTC

第六十五六章

(chapter 65)

Morobu takes a few minutes to turn around, walk back along the hiking-trail, then turn around again and walk in his intended direction. In both directions he feels like it is level, neither ascending nor descending. Then, reaching the spot where the hiking trail turns, and where he left a tile next to mscha's, he continues without hesitating, proceeding now into the woods out of sight of the trail and its comforting markers.
  The trees vary in type and density, occasionally giving way to bamboo. At times the terrain is a little rocky. Morobu does his best to attempt to go neither uphill nor down. When he occasionally has to go a bit "up" to get around some obstacle, he then tries to do "down" the same amount (and remembering that he is really most likely actually going up the whole time, just at varying amounts of steepness).
  In this way Morobu proceeds through the woods for about two hours before reaching another stream. Following it up for a bit, he finds that it was marked by someone called january1may:

ここでは、ツリーラインからダウン千二百歩、 
二つの流れが参加し、そこから百九十六歩です。
           睦月一皐月、十七日五月
(Here it is 1200 paces down from the tree line,
and 196 paces from where the two streams joined.
        - january1may, the 17th day of the 5th month.)

"Twelve hundred!" Morobu says out loud. This means he drifted downhill — he was almost 100 higher back at the Eternal Density stream. "Unless this person's paces are shorter..."

lmjb1964 wrote: I've also been enjoying morobu's story, and am impressed that he had a conversation with GLR. :shock: "Oh, by the way, GLR, I'm the guy who wrote some math stuff that was so awesomeful you used it in one of your comics." Did you call him GLR, by the way? Ask him to sign your book in Beanish? :D

I called him "Randall", because of course I was in the real world and real people like being called by their real name. (As was pointed out by one or two mods during the afterSadness, it's a little creepy if people call you something like "Great Lord Robert" or "Holy Saint Laura", unless of course you're a musician who has adopted something like that as a stage name.)
  Shortly after xkcd 1047 I had sent Randall an email, via the press inquiries email address, thanking him (inasmuch as the comic helped me re-establish contact with many lost friends) and asking if he had any requests for bugfixes or improvements to my program ries. I never got a reply, and dismissed it as being because he in fact had no requests, or was too busy doing three things at once (xkcd, What-If, and as we were poignantly reminded by xkcd 1048, having an actual life).
  The book tour gave me a chance to think about what I might say if I had the chance to talk to him in person, as sometimes happens on book tours. So our conversation mainly consisted of me repeating the above-described thanks, and him telling me that comic was a lot of fun to do, and that he and some friends looked through my code to figure out how to get it to use more than 1024K of memory by default. (This last bit was an embarrassing reminder of the difficulty of providing good documentation. ries automatically uses as much memory as it needs, and you merely have to specify a higher level, as prompted by ries in its own printed output — but despite the seeming-obviousness, nothing is ever obvious and suitably smart people are often better off just looking at the source code.)
  The event organizers (affiliated with the excellent Harvard Book Store and Brattle Theatre, both local independent businesses) made it clear Randall would not be doing "personalizations", which means dedicating a signed book to a person (For example, for an ornithologist, "To Laura, good luck on your raptor research, Randall Munroe"). As it turns out he asked if I wanted him to make it out to Robert, but I said something to the effect of no, you don't have to put anything, you can if you want, but they said you wouldn't be personalizing because I am vigorously committed to playing by the rules and already felt guilty about holding up the line behind me for 15 seconds. He ended up writing THANKS, which in the context of our conversation probably means [thanks for the RIES program], though out of context it could equally well mean [thanks for buying my book] or [thanks for being a fan] or [thanks for coming to this event], and I'm happy to assume that all of those are true also.

— mrob27 Image

WHAT IF I TOOK A WALK IN A TYPICAL AWEFULSOME MOLPY MUSTARDIS?
WOULD I NEED TO ENHANCE TO ACTUALLY SCHIZOBLITZ
A MOUNTAINISH AMOUNT OF DOOM BANANAS?
Last edited by mrob27 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

ucim

Re: 1190: The Promise of Enlightenment

Postby ucim » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:08 pm UTC

After much prayer, it looks like I am about to receive enlightenment!
Who knows in what form it may come!

(Hmmm... that doesn't quite look like the Ancient Tongue I studied in the seminary....)

Spoiler:
Q04B_Beardo.jpg

Q04B_BeardoAlone.jpg
Q04B_BeardoAlone.jpg (7.93 KiB) Viewed 37370 times
Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

MistyCat

Re: 1190: The Promise of Enlightenment

Postby MistyCat » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:45 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
After much prayer, it looks like I am about to receive enlightenment!
Who knows in what form it may come!

(Hmmm... that doesn't quite look like the Ancient Tongue I studied in the seminary....)

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Q04B_Beardo.jpg

Q04B_BeardoAlone.jpg
Jose

Oh, my fur and whiskers!
I've been seeking enlightenment for mips and mips, but all I've managed is Score: 26298038
I genuflect in your general direction.
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:20 pm UTC

MistyCat wrote:Oh, my fur and whiskers!
I've been seeking enlightenment for mips and mips, but all I've managed is Score: 26298038
Just keep the faith, and continue with the First Commandment. Enlightenment will come. It just rained down on me when I reached this tile. You do have to keep praying for a while after reaching it, as enlightenment takes time to come down. However, even ineffective moves (e.g. going left when there's no left to go) bring enlightenment.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:46 pm UTC

A blindpost to say that I've restored that 100th post to its former vulgaritytastefulness, with a minor addition for some of the Hearthstone players out there. :wink:

Back to the starry sky for me on Page... 973!

COME ON 1000!!! :x
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:54 am UTC

"Only Time Matters"

(To the tune of "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica)

I really hope I do the song justice :)

Spoiler:
So close now, yet so far
Can't be much further, watching stars
Forever behind, Blitzing fast
And only Time matters

Never saw Time before this way
Never lost so much Time this way
Words to read, and songs to play
And only Time matters

Truth I seek, and I find it here
Every Newpage, I hold them dear
Open your mind, do not fear
And only Time matters

Never cared for it before
Never cared to ever know
Now I know

So close now, and yet so far
Can't be much further, here we are
Catching up, I've come so far
And only Time matters

Never cared for it before
Never cared to ever know
Now I know

[instrumental interlude]

Never knew Time could be this way
Never had so many words to say
Never had so many songs to play
And only Time matters

Truth I seek, and I find it here
Page on page, I'm the Blitzketeer
In the Past, the echoes I hear
And only Time matters

Never knew so much doubt
Never knew it could bring about
Such wonders as I see here
As it slowly becomes clear
Now I know

So close now, yet so far
Songs you've played on your guitar
I'll be listening from afar
Cause only Time matters

HES

Re: 1190: "Tuuune"

Postby HES » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:56 am UTC

Gingercat wrote:"Only Time Matters"

GOOMHG! I had that song in my head as I ketchedup.
He/Him/His Image

mrob27

"CHIRPYISH" TOTALLY JUST STOPPED SEEMING LIKE A REAL WORD.

Postby mrob27 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:06 am UTC

第六十七章

(chapter 66)

Morobu thinks it likely in the last hour or two he has drifted downhill rather than uphill. It must have happened mostly in the last hour because no sudden change was apparent, inasmuch as the sunlight and shadows gave him some crude sense of direction. Also, he arrived at this stream at an angle that suggests he was going downhill: if he were to turn right to follow the stream uphill, he would be making a sharp right turn, rather than a slight turn as he would expect were he actually going uphill.
  Morobu also realizes something for the first time: he can try circling around some obvious object like a tree, and make note of which direction feels the steepest. This must indeed be the directly-uphill direction. Knowing this direction he can then turn, say, 60 degrees to the left to go in the direction he wants. He can still be careful not to lose track of his prior direction (say, by dropping a couple markers, and picking them up again), but circling from time to time ought to help him "recalibrate" and hike more steadily straight.
  He kneels to pray for a bit, produces a Cueball tile, and writes his thoughts about direction on the tile. It doesn't all fit on one, so he makes a second tile and stacks them. Leaving them on top of a small boulder, he turns to the right so as to be heading uphill once again, and begins to hike into the woods beyond the january1may stream.

Hey, @ZoomanSP got to Rosetta and @ucim got to Beardo! Molpicongratulations to both of you!

azule, I really love your OTToMeme, the user interface is particularly beautiful, with its popup hints and keyboard equivalents. But...

(Spoilered because it's not actually true: I figured out that these comments were moved to a new file, "index.js")

Spoiler:
you sort of e**ishly removed a lot of comments from your code, such as:

Let's identify the parts of the "meme" so as to better label the objects and properties and methods:
  • Let's start with the smallest unit, the flake: it is each individual item in each class, such as GLR;
  • Each class itself would obviously be next, this being the snow
  • In a template there can be more than one class or literal, this being the snowball (bundle of snow)
  • The template itself can be considered the meme itself, or to fit the theme, the snowman
  DID ANYONE NOTICE THE [JAVASCRIPT@0.2, noun-singular/^AN? //]?
  • This ^ would break down to:
  SNOWMAN (The whole thing)
  [SNOWBALL] all the choices
  [SNOW, SNOW] each choice
  [FLAKE] would be the literal available for replacement
  SNOWFLAKE would be the actual replacement in place
I guess the fully in place new meme could be a SNOWMEME (not man any more)
Since there are images too, these could be called CAPS (for capture (picture term) and for snowcaps)
A fully put together snowmeme and cap would be a SNOWCAP
the dialogue line could be SNOWTRACKS (or just TRACKS)

and:

Investigate ways to create permalink:
If using canvas, a "screenshot" could be taken within the constructed canvas and exported to "save image";
If possible, using canvas to take a real screenshot within browser window to export. (This sounds like it would be restricted for security purposes, so probably not possible);
Saving the image hash and plain text dialogue and positioning, and creating a share link. (Problem: this would be hackable to use any words. Though, all webpages are hackable, really.);
Exporting image array number and meme template array number, etc. This would cause problems with permanence and would probably not constitute a permalink;
Get server to output a page with the generated meme. (No idea on how this would be permanent or helpful).
Upload all Time images to server, but use only for the purpose of constructing an output image (flattened with text), that is served upon request. This means that memes could be viewed, but when wanted to be shared it would download a new image. Hopefully that results in less bandwidth use;
Random thoughts: /ottomeme/26f85f42469f27a58946df596ff71baf4d8c9395a102b9dccdfde79a98747a8a/?x=9&y=9&w=300&t=neat
Use SVG to construct image, use SVG to input to a canvas and to export image, or use SVG to export via server directly
For now, quick update, provide BBCode that encodes frame with dialogue as a caption below it, and nothing more. That will allow people to share what they have come across.
PHP appears to have Canvas like image program. first figure out in HTMLCanvas then use for PHP to output a png.

Semi-permanent link ideas:
Using the template labels and using actual words, added to the query string, OTToMeme will check for the template existence, which then check that every word is findable in the word lists, then it will display it with one of the frames. That is to say that it will not be hackable (beyond what is available officially), that everything has to be verified. If, for some reason, one of the words is moved to another list and is no longer available, then a random word will be displayed instead, meaning it is semi-permanent.
A string might be like ?n=xkcd1&w=baobabby,glr,ch%2arping&f=2113
Using array indeces for templates is problematic when adding templates. Using labels is better (though those might change, too) than using a full template string, which also might change and then couldn't be verified.

Some change proposals, for revision, modularization, et al:
Consider parsing classes and templates into objects and arrays, not just into an array of strings. Example: a template might now be: ["DID ANYONE NOTICE THE ", ["JAVASCRIPT", OTToMeme.memes.class.noun-definite, OTToMeme.memes.class.noun-singular], "?"]; and a class might now be: OTToMeme.memes.class.noun-duration-singular = ["A WIP", ["A XIP", "A DIP"]].
Consider adding functions as alternative to regex. The functions would be stored in index.js, and could be called at the template level (top) or at individual snow level (the word classes) (as is the norm with a regex). These functions would not be limited to regex only, but would have the full js fn capabilities.

I guess you removed them because they're wrong in some way, but could we please just add an "outdated" comment instead? There are so few comments as it is. (I would express the same to anyone else writing code, including @Link).

Right now I'm kind of lost in returnConj and returnMoreMost... and I wish you would use variable names that have more than one letter! But at least I got dawgify!

SUP MINI-TWOH-TONE_S, I HERD U DIDN'T LIEK WAITING FOR, BUT I ACCIDENTALLY IN YOUR FIRSTPOST.
 SUP PULED BAK, I HERD U DIDN'T LIEK BLITZING, BUT I ACCIDENTALLY IN YOUR GHOLPY.
 SUP BRAVEBEEN, I HERD U DIDN'T LIEK OTTIFYING, BUT I ACCIDENTALLY IN YOUR HARPSICHORD.
 SUP ROUNDHAUR_S, I HERD U DIDN'T LIEK SACRIFICING, BUT I ACCIDENTALLY IN YOUR OTTERMOLPY.
 SUP KRLEE, I HERD U DIDN'T LIEK GOATING, BUT I ACCIDENTALLY IN YOUR REDUNDAKITTY.

(Okay, I'm not actually totally sure I got dawgify, but it sorta looks right, and it's better than trying to figure out the one-letter-variables...)

For posterity, the fruits of my labours:
 OTToMeme.GET contains a bunch of variables with one-letter names, that correspond to things in the URL that also have one-letter names. It seems to be a dictionary (object containing named values) but is also a function returning a dictionary.
 Redundancy is Molpish sets OTToMeme.GET.r to 1 and calls OTToMeme.chooseWhich(false) keeping OTToMeme.GET.t unchanged.
 Redundancy is Fractal sets OTToMeme.GET.r to -1 and calls OTToMeme.chooseWhich(true) making OTToMeme.GET.t increment.
 Redundancy is Redundant sets OTToMeme.GET.r to 0 and calls OTToMeme.keepTrack which picks a random template using a loop that tries again a bunch of times to attempt to not re-use a recently chosen template.
 OTToMeme.chooseWhich declares (I think) a static private variable j that keeps track of which template you last used.
 OTToMeme.findRandom generates non-integers, which is probably okay but using Math.floor probably would not hurt.

That's all I have so far...

— mrob27 Image

IS IT POSSIBLE TO SCHIZOBLITZ A ZANCLEAN FLOOD
USING DOWNWARD-UNBASEMENTING BLITZROCKETS?

(Edit: Oops, those comments were not actually deleted, they moved to a new file. The stuff inside the spoiler is apocryphal, but retained as a record of my mistake)
Last edited by mrob27 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:25 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:11 am UTC

Gingercat wrote:"Only Time Matters"

Awesomeful! I especially like the line "Page on page, I'm the Blitzketeer"

Gingercat wrote:I really hope I do the song justice :)

Axios!

Jose

Eternal Density

I've never played Hearthstone myself, but...

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:26 am UTC

Gingercat wrote:A blindpost to say that I've restored that 100th post to its former vulgaritytastefulness, with a minor addition for some of the Hearthstone players out there. :wink:

Back to the starry sky for me on Page... 973!

COME ON 1000!!! :x

No, my students! Give them back!

[edit]
OTToMeme wrote:
WHOA, IT'S NEWPIX 9­1­7­6­e­0­5­7­f­2­d­d­9­5­1­c­2­f­d­f­c­c­7­4­3­d­d­3­5­c­b­7­4­7­3­0­4­7­4­9­9­8­9­b­1­1­2­d­1­3­2­f­1­a­3­8­8­f­1­9­4­7­d­d!

UNDER GREAT LORD RANDALL'S SYSTEM, THAT NEWPIX WILL NEVER BE CREATED ONGAIN!!

What?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:03 am UTC

ucim wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:This is all my fault!
I'm sorry, Moon!
Oh, right. Get all weepy-eyed over a dumb old rock in the sky, but wish keyboards all over Cueball just for the lulz.

I'm glad I'm not some character in a story with BlitzGirl!

(oh, wait...)
:) Jose

:lol: LMAO! :lol:

Oh, the mental image of someone who has "had keyboards wished all over them", like some sort of bizarre protest art project. It's too much! Image

ETA: CONGRATS to BlitzGirl for hitting 7000 posts! That's Baobabs level of Wow!!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:30 am UTC

Awesomeful ottification, Gingercat!
And thanks for all the cake, everymolpy!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

balthasar_s

bftf-0280

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:00 am UTC

THIS NEWPIX IS TOO CH**RPONG HIGH -- mome
Spoiler:
-- posted by newpixbothasar_p

Eternal Density

HELLO, I'M MOROBU. BASICALLY, MOLPY UP!

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:28 am UTC

BlitzGirl is still at 7k!
Keep celebrating, to make sure she posts again!
Spoiler:

ETA I made a list of words because of reasons:
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

'**d 1190 [spoiler] accessor author authorcomic awefulsome awesomeful ball bangs baobab baobabish basement beanette beanie beanish bearaptor beesnake blitz bluenhance bluenhancement boababs boom bring brother buffyhatted bunny buzzcut chirp chirpy chupacabra coma comic cong cue cueball cuegan cueganite custardde decree dilgunnerang dip donut duneish dunejumpish epilogue everymolpy expando facebug filk flutterbee flutterbeewingish forty glr goat hamplyheresy hatted hillish hotdog initiates ja ketchup keyboard knight lapetite leopard littlest longpix loopist lucky lwpaii madness megan megball meowlpy mip mmons mold molphin molpish molpy mome mountainish mrobdex mustard needle-pulled thing newpage newpix newpixbot newpixbottification newpixia ni ninja nopix old oldpix one ong ongst ota otc othercomic ots ott ott-if ottercomic otterrific otters ottification ottish otw outside outsider outsiders pagepope pastpage phonesaw pingpong pirate present pricklymolp punsaw randammit raptorcat raptorish raptorshark razor recent reduncancy redundakitty redundant revealer riverish rong rosetta scrumptious seaish semencoffeecancerbaconbabiesonice sequence shop sigcouragement sky skycircle sparrow-raptor spoiler spurler squarish squirpy steakish steambottle steambottlish stick t** temporal thread thwapstick time timeframes timewaiters treeish true unglish vendor vitssågen vmpc voldeframe wiki wingish wip wolpy wowterfall wowterful xip yada yappocised yip'

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:33 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:ETA I made a list of words because of reasons:
Ch*rp! I thought I finally had a good password!

Jose

Eternal Density

PASTPOST. OINTMENT. HARPSICHORD. CREDENZA. OTTER. ... DOT C

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:13 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:ETA I made a list of words because of reasons:
Ch*rp! I thought I finally had a good password!

Jose
Well just in case you used the OTC as a password source, well it has the following 1060 words:
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

a augh about after all almost along and any are as at back bags because before berries better bop brown but by bye c'mon can careful castleraft chirp claw climbing come could crunch curly down did do does don't drink earlier either even every everyone everything except finally from facebug five food for forget forgot four frog get going good goodbye guess have hellooo hey hang have haven't head hello hellooo here hey hi hiss hmm hmmcould hold how how's huh i i'd i'll i'm i've is if in is it it'd it's just keep kind look land later let let's like look looked looks mountains making maybe mine's mm more most mrrr my not neat never new no nobody none nope not nothing now ok out of oh ok okay oof ooh or otherwise our over ow part pausing pfffth pfffthh pffthh plant please probably pthuh pulled rising recent ribbit right rivers rope safe sea stop sandy scraaaaape sea see shelves shorty should sip slow snake snarl so something sorry sounds splash still stubby sure the there to tell thank that that's the then there there's these they they're thirsty this thwap to too trying ugh uh um umm under up we we're wait wake walk walking wanna want water we we're we've weird well what what's when whence where where's who whoa why wood wow you're yawn yeah yes you you're your yuck yup a able about abyss accident across actually adding again ago agree ahead aimed air all almost alone along already always am ambitious among amount an and angry another answer any anyone's anything anyway are arose around as ask asked asleep at avoid awake away baby back backward bad bag bags banged bank banks barely basin be beautiful become been before before: behind being belief believes below berm bet better between beyond big bigger bite bleeding blood blotchy boat bored both bothering bottle bowl brave breach break breath breathe breathtaking bring broken brought bugs build building built bunch but by bye calling came camp campsite can can't cannot care careful carry case castle castles change changed changing channel channels chased chirp chirps cities city claws clear cliff climb climbing close closed coast colder collect coloring come comes coming connected continue cooler cough could couldn't course cousin cover covered creeped cross crossed crossing crumbly current currents cut dangerous day days deep deeper definitely delivered desert devices did didn't differ different difficult discovered do does doesn't doing don't done down dreamed driest drift drowned dry dust easier eat eats edge eight either else empty encircled end ending ends enough escape even eventually ever every everybody everyone everything explain explore extra eyes failed fall falls familiar far farther fast faster feel feeling feet fell few figure figured fill fills find finding fine first flag flashes fled flicker float floated floating floats flood flooding flow flowing flows follow followed following food for ford forever forgot fortress fortune forty forward found fresh fresher from front full fun furniture further fused gave gblghx get gets getting giant give giving glad glinting go goes going good goodbyes got grab grabbed great greener ground group guess guessing guide had hadn't hand happen happened happening hard has hasn't have haven't head headed heading hear heard hearing heavy heights hello help helped her here hey high higher hill hills hit hold holding home hope houses how hurt hurting hurts idea if imagine in injuries inland inside intend into is island isn't it it'd it's its itself job join joined joining journey journey's jumble just keep keeps kids kind knew know knows land language last late launched leader lean learn learned learning least leave leaves left leg less let's level levels lifetimes light like liked lines little live lived long longer look looked looking looks loose lot lots loud love low lucky made main make making many map maps markings marks matters may maybe me mean measure meet might mightiest mind mine mistake moment more morning mountain mountains mountainside mouth move moved moving much must my near neat need never new next night no none not nothing notice noticed now nowhere numbers ocean of off oh ok old on once one one's only or other others our ours out over overflow ow painful parents part passage past paste path patient peeping people person place places plain plains plan planet's planning plans plants point pointing poor possible prettier pretty prickly probably protecting pulled push pushed put putting question quickly quiet quite raft rain raining rains rate reach reached ready real really reason rebuild red regular rejoin related remove rest retreated return returned ride right rise rises rising river river's river; riverbed riverbeds rivers rock rocks rope rose route ruining run rush safe said same sand sandy saw say says scary scholars sea sea's seachannels searivers seas seawater second see seem seems seen send shadow shallow shallows shapes she shiny shore shoreline should should've shouldn't show shrank side since single sky sleep slow small smaller snakes snaking so some someday someone something somewhat somewhere soon sorry sort sounds speech speeding spend spikes split spoken spot stand stare staring stars start started starting starts stay stayed stays steady steam step still stock stole stolen stop straight strange stream strong structure stuck stuff such sun sunrise supposed sure surface surprised surprising swarms swim tables tail take taken takes taking talk tall taller taste tasted tasting tear tell ten tend tents than thank thankful thanks that that's the their them then there there's these they they're they've thing things think thinking thirsty this those though thought thousand through throw throwing thundering thus tide tight time times tiny tip tired to today together told tonight too top torn toward towards tower towers tphbtt transpires trapped traveled treating tree trees triangle tribe tried trunk try trying turn twelve uhh um under understand understanding understood unless up uphill upright upriver us used using very view villages wait wake walk walked walking walls wanna want wanted wants was washed wasn't waste watch water waters way we we'll we're we've weapon wear week weird welcome well were wet what what's whatever when where wherever while who whoever whole why wide widens will windier wings wish with woke won't wonder wood word work work; worked works world worry worse would wouldn't wow wrap wrong yawn yeah year years yelling yet you you'd you'll you're you've your yours
(discounting capitalisation variations, also I didn't include the original versions of the altered dialogue frames)

jimbobmacdoodle

Re: Time After Time: t1i-0956

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:14 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Unlike Cuegan, it appears.

New OtherComic, in case people are interested. I can definitely relate to this one.

For decree: This is very much the stereotypical castle - water-filled moat, 4 walls, towers at each corner and a pair of substantial gatehouses. Bodiam castle is worth a visit if you're ever in south east England.
Spoiler:

The latest Doctor Who is also related to the OTT, thanks to my mention of Bodiam castle in the above post. The episode features this castle, but it's rather out of place. Presumably someone moved it using a TARDIS.

Edit: Fix broken image link in original post. Also, I noticed that they must have moved the castle through time as well, since it was built in the 13th century, whereas the episode is set in the late 12th!
Last edited by jimbobmacdoodle on Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:20 am UTC

Quick blind Othercomic post
In your mind, replace horse with otter.

Eternal Density wrote:This is why I'm putting off upgrading. While the mid-range lapsands are way better than my current one (which seemed pretty awesome when I bought it yips ago... actually it still seems pretty molpish really) the more expensive ones are even better, so I might as well wait several mips and get something better for my money. It's not as if I really need to upgrade, though it could do with a bit more GOAT. I mean RAM.

Does it have an SSD? If it still runs of organised rust then just swapping the hdd with an ssd will make it feel much faster. And it's usually cheaper than a new lapsand.
Just don't forget to redundacize your data first. And check the redundancizing.

azule wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:I didn't need to know that I could have bought the 7200rpm hard drive and had faster file transfers.
It's funny to me that that's still the speed limit of a hard drive. It's been that for a long time.

It's not really a speed limit. 10K and 15K(Seagate Cheetah) drives do exist. The speed is awesome but they are hellish noisy, expensive and unreliable. Nowadays they are all but replaced by SSD's but once they were ideal for low latency work when RAM disks were not suitable.
Last edited by Neil_Boekend on Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:55 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Eternal Density

HyperWaitHorse

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:11 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:This is why I'm putting off upgrading. While the mid-range lapsands are way better than my current one (which seemed pretty awesome when I bought it yips ago... actually it still seems pretty molpish really) the more expensive ones are even better, so I might as well wait several mips and get something better for my money. It's not as if I really need to upgrade, though it could do with a bit more GOAT. I mean RAM.

Does it have an SSD? If it still runs of organised rust then just swapping the hdd with an ssd will make it feel much faster. And it's usually cheaper than a new lapsand.
Just don't forget to redundacize your data first. And check the redundancizing.

Hmm, that's a molpish thought. Though really the main issue is it runs out of memory a bit too easy when I have too many things happening at once. Or if I leave an idle game running for too long (Chromium eats up a lot of memory!) I've had my IDE randomly quit on me a few times with a message that it was unable to determine what went wrong because of low memory :P
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:The latest Doctor Who is also related to the OTT,
And I"m guessing it has a Time Lord in it also.

In other news, CueMegAll seems to be half working.
ETA
Forgot to say, I actually checked for the OtherComic a couple of times but it wasn't up yet then.

balthasar_s

bftf-0281

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:00 am UTC

NOOOO THEY BE MEMEIFYONG MY HERESY -- mome
Spoiler:
-- posted by newpixbothasar_p

Sustainabilizer

Bicycles After Time: bftf-0282

Postby Sustainabilizer » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:12 am UTC

HE SHOULD WAIT FOR THE ONG
Spoiler:
The clock below the BFTF frame shows times longer than 4hH for me.
Is this just mustard, or has something changed?

ETA: It seems the BalthaONGs are coming every 6 newpix now.

Sustainabilizer wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:Now we only have to complete the SilentONGs periods page and we will have everything.
I have reached t1i-1295; still 119 to go.
Also, the Beanish texts are still missing. (Could all of them be translated?)

I finished the SilentONG Dialogue Page, including the “bonus” frame (t1i-1414).
Beanish texts are still missing.
Last edited by Sustainabilizer on Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Help for addams completed successfully. Thanks!

SilentTimer

Re: Bicycles After Time: bftf-0282

Postby SilentTimer » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:27 am UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:I finished the SilentONG Dialogue Page, including the “bonus” frame (t1i-1414).
Great⁷! Image Thanks!
Sustainabilizer wrote:Also, the Beanish texts are still missing. (Could all of them be translated?)
Image ;)

ETA: The secret messages are missing, too.
Last edited by SilentTimer on Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:30 am UTC

yappo "Iron SeaWolpy have now finished recording our first album." - Congrats! That must feel good.

Robert wrote:As it turns out he asked if I wanted him to make it out to Robert, but I said something to the effect of no, you don't have to put anything, you can if you want, but they said you wouldn't be personalizing because I am vigorously committed to playing by the rules and already felt guilty about holding up the line behind me for 15 seconds. He ended up writing THANKS, which in the context of our conversation probably means [thanks for the RIES program], though out of context it could equally well mean [thanks for buying my book] or [thanks for being a fan] or [thanks for coming to this event], and I'm happy to assume that all of those are true also.
Well, hah. I love that. I love that he offered to sign it to include your name (as he might do for a friend or the President). I love that you stuck to the rules and refused. No offense, but I find that to be a bit crazy. The no offense part is probably that I would do exactly the same thing (including saying "you don't have to, but you could"). I, on the other hand, would have forever regretted not just agreeing to let him do it (because the waffling caused him to just write "Thanks"). I loved the many possible meaning for "thanks". ^_^

Gingercat - Kudos. Blitzers Matter.

Spoiler section containing a lot of stuff about code and stuff. You don't have to run away, taking a peek won't kill you. It's an mrob27 must read:
Spoiler:
@mrob27, creator of the original snowclone syntax @azule uses wrote:azule, I really love your OTToMeme, the user interface is particularly beautiful, with its popup hints and keyboard equivalents.

But... you sort of e**ishly removed a lot of comments from your code <snip/> I guess you removed them because they're wrong in some way, but could we please just add an "outdated" comment instead? There are so few comments as it is. <snip/>

Right now I'm kind of lost in returnConj and returnMoreMost...

and I wish you would use variable names that have more than one letter!

But at least I got dawgify!
First, to get the ego out of the way, I got really happy to learn that I was doing some things that others weren't able to implement right away (not due to incomprehensibility (holy crap, that's a long word)) and that you wanted to include some of the things I've added. I don't know what usage my automeme is getting, but just to be sharing code and ideas is wowterful.

First response: Why, thank you. I'm trying to keep the interface simple, but it's gonna get more complex. Maybe, hopefully, it just won't feel that way if I do it right. I added the keyboard leopard controls but I don't think I told anyone about them (except for Enter). You can use access controls (on old systems it was simply alt+Letter, but on mine it's alt+shift+Letter) for selecting between redundancy modes and heretical mode. It's R, M, F, and H (the first letter of each selection).

Second response: I nuked the comments mostly for the purpose of them taking up space, where it really didn't need to be downloaded on each update. I'm planning to add OTToMeme to my github account, where I will not be removing the comments. I was not using github as it was another layer of internet to deal with. That may be changing, as I have a more sunny internet connection outlook (read: more opportunities to connect). I'm sorry for the poor amount of comments. Trust me, they're helpful (as I often forget what that function is doing or that loop). I will be adding them in when I can. I don't know if they were outdated, but maybe. I will look into that when I go on a commenting spree.

Third response: That's kind of surprising but understandable. Is this due to the regexing? Hint: I'm trying to avoid the colons (:) and brackets (<>) that are in some of the words but aren't part of the conjugation.

Fourth response: I wasn't aware that I was using that many single letter variable names. In that section I used "singular" "plural" and "attr". I used "m" but that should be easily figured out to be the first letter of both "more" and "most", so I went with "m" for both. Are there others that are an issue?

Fifth/Last response: Hah, dawgify. It's pretty stupid. English is hard, so I can't convert -ean to EEN every time, cuz sometimes it's EN or whatever. If you figure it out, let me know. :)

It seems to be a dictionary (object containing named values) but is also a function returning a dictionary.
GET is an object. The function runs at load and returns the object. It's a self-running anonymous function (what are those called? sorry).

OTToMeme.chooseWhich declares (I think) a static private variable j that keeps track of which template you last used.
Javascript doesn't have private variables, but it does have closures. This is (possibly) the exact same thing. "j" is used for the incrementing.

OTToMeme.findRandom generates non-integers, which is probably okay but using Math.floor probably would not hurt.
True and falsish. I'm using the binary operator | against 0 to integerize/Math.floor the non-integer.

Super kudos for figuring all that out. It's more than I can say for me figuring out your perl.

Eternal Density wrote:What?
:lol: lol. Could you be more specific? :?

Neil_Boekend wrote:It's not really a speed limit. 10K and 15K(Seagate Cheetah) drives do exist. The speed is awesome but they are hellish noisy, expensive and unreliable.
Well, I remember hearing something about if they spun too fast they would shatter. Well, I think it was CDs, actually. Do you know if a CD spins at the same speed as a Blu-ray disk? (The smaller lazr makes up for not running at a super fast speed.) Anyways, if those HDD are not reliable...it's probably "an effective speed limit". Or manufacturers are lazy.

Minim wrote:No, it was supposed to be Hugo's.
Good point. See below.

OTToMeme updates:
  • xkcd1110b updated to include "Hugo" award. Plus word added to nouns.
  • Another 104 heretical templates added. Yeah, my eyes don't work anymore. lol. I didn't error check them completely...so they are what they are for now.
  • My own heretical additions are: regular one, money don't grow on trees.
  • There's now 226 meme templates (way more than the 80 or so that I had before becoming heretical).
  • Title text (that pop up on mouse hover) now contains title text meme (... or Wait for it, etc.)
  • Title text meme now more title texty. Use access key 's' for easy access. For me, on this system and browser that's alt+shift+S.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Eternal Density

HAVE CAKE, WILL TRAVEL.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:41 pm UTC

azule wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:What?
:lol: lol. Could you be more specific? :?
That was me forgetting that that actually is Newpix 9­1­7­6­e­0­5­7­f­2­d­d­9­5­1­c­2­f­d­f­c­c­7­4­3­d­d­3­5­c­b­7­4­7­3­0­4­7­4­9­9­8­9­b­1­1­2­d­1­3­2­f­1­a­3­8­8­f­1­9­4­7­d­d under GLR's system. It's been a while since I looked at those numbers.

CueMegAll is about two thirds working, but I need to Molpy Down.

yappobiscuits

Use the horse, Luke.

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:48 pm UTC

azule wrote:yappo "Iron SeaWolpy have now finished recording our first album." - Congrats! That must feel good.

Thanks, it does, although we still have to mix it which is still a lot of work.

HES

ENAP: 3 going on 4

Postby HES » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:54 pm UTC

Just leave it in a box with a bobcat. That should mix it plenty.

You have to keep the lid shut pretty horsefully, though.
He/Him/His Image

SilentTimer

Re: Bicycles After Time: bftf-0282

Postby SilentTimer » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:49 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:ETA: It seems the BalthaONGs are coming every 6 newpix now.
That means more Waiting. :) Molpish!
Spoiler:
Drawing 42 frames per week can turn a molpish hobby into a nightmare very quickly. Slowing it down before it came to this was a wise step.

While we are on it: I like your story very much! Image Rock on, balthasar_s!

BFTF #283
Heresy! Prepare the cONGfy chair!
Spoiler:

ETA: The second-next post will goat the page. I guess that BlitzGirl has prepared something and hope she's ready for momeship.
Last edited by SilentTimer on Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:16 pm UTC

The framerate decreased because the number of prepared but not ONGed frames fell below X'. If I have at least 1.5X frames the framerate will go up again. But if I have less than 0.5X frames we will have to wait 8hours, and so on... I had this system from the very beginning.
It's the first time you see it in action because:
  • I got into the "silly molpy" mode again for a short time.
  • I'm making some meta things that belong to BFTF but are not frames
  • I have some other things to do.

Have you noticed that the timer is sometimes blue and sometimes brown?
Can you guess what information is hidden in it?
Have you seen the timer exactly at ONGtime?

'not 10.

ETA: Pope.
Too late.
Last edited by balthasar_s on Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:23 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

HES

Postby HES » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:20 pm UTC

So you never run out, it just gets exponentially slower. Those spacecyclists are a clever bunch.
He/Him/His Image

mrob27

I DON'T THINK ONGING A QUACKMOLPY COUNTS AS DUNEISH.

Postby mrob27 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:17 pm UTC

第六十八章

(chapter 67)

After only a few steps he finds another marker-tile. He reads it aloud.

それは遅くなっている、と私は私が塒塚    
に向かっておりません参照してください。   
私が塒塚ストリームを見つけることを期待して、
ここで左折します。私は私の道に竹を残す。  
             アズロ、二十日五月
(It is getting late, and I see I am not heading towards
Toyatsuka. I will turn left here hoping to find the
Toyatsuka stream. I will leave bamboo on my path.
           — azule, the 20th day of the 5th month.)

Morobu recalls reading about Toyatsuka (塒塚) when he considered this pilgrimage to Fujisan. It is a smaller peak, perhaps the location of an earlier, now inactive volcano, on the west slope of the great mountain.
  Just a little farther he notices dead bamboo stuck in the ground forming an X. He is reminded of the Deuterocanonical Legend of SilentTimer, but does not fear a similar danger here, as there is no evidence of cairns or blue caves. This X must be from azule.

@ED, nice wordlist — I added a few to automeme's vocabulary. I think "hamplyheresy" should be two separate words though.
  I also made a crude approximation of the random title generator, though yours will always be the Hexa-Director of Ondragzoort Pool.

azule wrote:
Robert wrote: (meaning me, mrob27)
... [Randall] asked if I wanted him to make it out to Robert, but I said something to the effect of no, you don't have to put anything, you can if you want, but they said you wouldn't be personalizing ...

Well, hah. I love that. I love that he offered to sign it to include your name (as he might do for a friend or the President). I love that you stuck to the rules and refused. No offense, but I find that to be a bit crazy. The no offense part is probably that I would do exactly the same thing (including saying "you don't have to, but you could"). I, on the other hand, would have forever regretted not just agreeing to let him do it (because the waffling caused him to just write "Thanks"). I loved the many possible meaning for "thanks". ^_^

Yes, point taken. I tend to underestimate the importance of my own wants, as compared to those of other people. However, in this particular situation I think my decision was justified: after all, being mentioned in an xkcd comic is about the biggest personalization anyone could ever hope for. Get something personal and related to xkcd or Randall Munroe got crossed off my bucket list so thoroughly that it took the next couple items (Ride in a balloon with Cory Doctorow and Flash Roomba BIOS so it vacuums in fractal curves) with it.

Thanks @azule for the feedback about my OTToMeme feedback. Yes, removing comments from JavaScript is logical because of the loading time, I forgot about that. I guess Q04B isn't going to set any records in that department :roll:
  The JavaScript explanations are very useful, thanks. I don't understand the more functional-programming-type stuff very well, including closures and running an object's init/allocate function without using parentheses ().
  But actually, I guess the actual code is not confusing at all, and I think I was tired when I wrote the part about "lost in returnConj and returnMoreMost". I was wondering why they exist at all... I soon figured out they're how you handle changing one verb tense into another (rather than combining all the different verbs into a huge table like @Link and I did).
  The single-letter variables I was having trouble with were f, n, r, t and u. All are part of OTToMeme.GET, which is that self-calling-function-or-object. I wanted to figure out what the one-letter variables do, and they might appear after something other than "GET", making them hard to search for. For example if you do "wolpy = this.GET" then later you could do "wolpy.r" to refer to r. So if I want to figure out what r is for, I have to do a global search for "r" to find all the places it is used, and the smallness of r makes that more labor-intensive. All of those single-letters are in fact used in ways that are not related to the attributes of the GET object. But it turns out not to be that hard, for example there are only 10 matches for u and only three of them are unrelated (where you're scanning or generating a <u> HTML tag).

True and falsish. I'm using the binary operator | against 0 to integerize/Math.floor the non-integer.

Oh yes of course. I read your "|" as "||".

I've added a few more of your xkcd memes, though there are still lots I haven't tried to do yet. But I added a simple syllable-counter enabling a slightly molpier AUTOMEMEfication of xkcd #442 "Boom de Yada":

I LOVE THE MINIPS. I LOVE WAITING FOR IT. THE OTTSCARS'S PRETTY COOL. BOOM DE YADA, BOOM DE YADA.
  I LOVE THE WHEELSTICKS. I LOVE THE KETCHUPPING. THE MOOPY'S PRETTY COOL. BOOM DE YADA, BOOM DE YADA.
  I LOVE MUSTARDISAR. I LOVE THE THWAPPING. OTTERONG'S PRETTY COOL. BOOM DE YADA, BOOM DE YADA.

...not always right, but often enough to be useful.

— mrob27 Image (BINMAN, BLITZ-RULER OF RAPTOR SEA)

IF YOU SUDDENLY BEGAN BLITZNAPPING STEADILY AT 1 NEWPAGE PER WIP,
HOW EXACTLY WOULD YOU **D?
WOULD YOU GO CAVE OR DOODLE FURIOUSLY FIRST?

(ETA: That's Pope Binman, Blitz-Ruler of Raptor Sea to all of you. All right, where'd I put my mitre?)

(Oops it seems a little heavy today.)
Anyway, optional decree: Hypothetical questions —
the absurdier, the molpier!

Spoiler:
mrobpope2.png
mrob27 pope with overized skewed mitre
mrobpope2.png (2.11 KiB) Viewed 37001 times
Last edited by mrob27 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:50 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”