1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ucim

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:30 am UTC

Ch*rping M*stard!

I don't compose in the post window, but rather, in my text editor (gedit). Gedit allows multiple tabs. I had another tab open to see something temporary, and then closed it. But instead of closing the tab, I closed the program.

"Do you want to save changes to Untitled-3?"

(no, it was just temporary)

Poof

All tabs vanished. Untitled-3 was my gestating post. The thing I was viewing temporarily had a name.

CH*RP!

So much for the safety of the text editor. (No back button)

Ah well... blitz on! Just imagine what I might have posted here. :)

eta: and with that, I'm pope.

Decree: strategies for dealing with mustard.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

THAT'S NOT AN OVARY; _THIS_ IS AN OVARY

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:04 am UTC

Outside is still being obnoxious, but I decided I'm going to post anyway, Randammit!

Kind 1K/ottification words from karhell, Earthling on Mars, yappo (I'm sure it was you that did the guitar solo), ChronosDragon (hope you're feeling better), azule (yes, the bot helped!), and Sciscitor. Thank you!!

Thanks for the cake of many candles, pelrigg. I don't know if anyone linked to the 10 Mysterious Features of the Earth article yet (Of course, I have gaps in my OTTing as well). Nice RELATED find.

Cake from Zooman, too! And ED, your Thwap-a-Meowlpy video was ridiculously squeeful, and with such an epsilonly RELATED Automome!

HESahamply wrote:Which reminds me, Laura, treeishness is no excuse Image

Did I pun without realizing it? Inadvertent punning is a terrible thing. (As is Inadvertent Punning, VHF's ill-advised spoken-word album).
Congrats on your recent academic success. May it lead to employment success.

Btw, I wish I could take credit for the Hamplyman song, but it was Automome. I can take credit for having the good sense and refined taste to ensure that it remained as the subject through the various revisions of the post. And I can take credit for this OTTification:

Spoiler:
Hamplyman, Hamplyman, does whatever a hamply can.
Runs real fast on his wheel, nuts and seeds make his meal
Look out! There goes the Hamplyman.

Does he post? I should say. He's not too far from his 4K.
Makes us laugh in the thread, but it never goes to his head
Hey there, there goes the Hamplyman.

In the chill of nip he might lay down a rhyme.
In the light of dip he will post just in time.

Hamplyman, Hamplyman, friendly O-T-T Hamplyman
Wields a punsaw like a sword
OTTing is his reward
To him, Time was a really great thing.
When there are OTTers waiting
You'll find the Hamplyman!

Nice OTTification, waveney!

Yay, more aweomeful AotC!! I couldn't tell from macraw's post whether he knew he had a starring role or not.

Hey, can someone ENHANCE bftf #360? I want to know what the little brown spot is.

I love Lu's new sig. But where is he?

SBN, LW and MSW were duly admired, adored and appreciated. And your grandwolpy--what sweet face!

Happy WHYDTMT-versary, balthafilmaker!

Thanks for the A vs. A link, BlitzGirl. Hope the Outside lets you go soon.

Ah, my slowness in posting made me not pope. Sorry about the mustard, Jose. That sort f thing has happened to me way too many times. Before previewing this post I selected and copied the whole thing, so that it it had logged me out in the meantime, I could just post it back in.

Automome is becoming sentient, no? My subject seems to reference my last (as in previous) post. Epsilon...

*imagines ucim's lost post* Treeish!

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

bftf-0366

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:00 am UTC

BE VEWY VEWY TOQUISH, I'M HUNTONG BUNGAWOWS -- automome
Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment.
-- posted by lmjbot

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:42 am UTC

Cool, I like/see that the other automomes are using "toquish". I added that into mine because I think it has a place as the adjectival form of Beanie, and means Beanie-like or the like. I thought it was a cool word back in the day but it didn't catch on as the anthroponym (I constructed this word but did not look up its possible actual meaning). I reappropriated it as an adjective. :)

Spell check does not think some of these heretical words are words....

Edit: I've learned that ethnonym would be the specific word for what I was describing (naming of an ethnic group), and exonym the even more specific term that describes that we named them and this is not what they'd call themselves. So...speaking of that: what would Beanies call themselves (and why)?
Last edited by azule on Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:49 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Ch*rping M*stard!

Spoiler:
I don't compose in the post window, but rather, in my text editor (gedit). Gedit allows multiple tabs. I had another tab open to see something temporary, and then closed it. But instead of closing the tab, I closed the program.

Poof

All tabs vanished. Untitled-3 was my gestating post. The thing I was viewing temporarily had a name.

CH*RP!

Jose

At work, I use the text editor Sublime Text. This has the molpish feature of saving your tabs when you close the last window. When you reopen it, all the old tabs come too, including any that were unsaved when you last closed it, but without saving them, so you.don't end up with untitled files all over the place. It's available on Windows and Linux, so I'd recommend it as the OTTE (I'll let you figure that one out).

Balthartist_s, I'm regularly not able to see the BalthaONGs in the OTT. It might just be MTA mustard though.

Edit: Fix forum mustard
Last edited by jimbobmacdoodle on Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:54 am UTC

ucim wrote:I wonder what's encoded in the title:

OMLAOMLTAOTTAOLAOTOA
OEAOAITOAOEO

Actually, that's dialogue.

She used letters that are in the few words she knows how to write, including her name. But she doesn't always remember to write left-to-right)

If you see the latest bftf and want it to be ONGed but you don't want to do it yourself you can ask bothasar_p to do it for you.
To do so:
  • go to the latest frame in the bftfviewer
  • click the [BBcode]
  • click the [spoiler]
  • click the [ONG this for me]

I modified my copy of mrob's automome meme file so that it's also a decree generator. Now if lmjbot or bothasar_p are pope they will also make an autogenerated decree (that is also a meme and also an ONGtext). And not wait for me or lmjb1964 to edit the decree in.

ETA:
lmjb1964 wrote:BUNGAWOWS

WOW, bungaWOWs
Last edited by balthasar_s on Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:01 am UTC

Are these new memes (templates) or are you saying it will be a random meme that is "decreed"?

Oh yeah, I forgot to add my reply to lmjb. I use Sublime Text 3, it's in an unsaved tab, and I don't plan to save it. But, if you close it [the tab, not the program] and confirm, it too will close and never return, so still, even with this program, user beware. *cough* now the text I "saved":
lmjb subject wrote:THAT'S NOT AN OVARY; _THIS_ IS AN OVARY
Hah. Response in spoiler for the sexually squeemish:
Spoiler:
It makes me think of comparing body parts. "That's not a dick. THIS is a dick!".... =______= ;) ET CET-ER-A! Would you really want to have a bigger ovary than another?

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:15 am UTC

azule wrote:Are these new memes (templates) or are you saying it will be a random meme that is "decreed"?

Oh yeah, I forgot to add my reply to lmjb. I use Sublime Text 3, it's in an unsaved tab, and I don't plan to save it. But, if you close it [the tab, not the program] and confirm, it too will close and never return, so still, even with this program, user beware. *cough* now the text I "saved":

I claim the title of Mustard Ninja (see my previously-horribly broken post earlier) :P

That was a pretty Zanclean bit of mustard for me:
Spoiler:
mustard.PNG
Mustardy-mustard
BlitzGirl the Primordial

balthasar_s

bftf-0367

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:17 am UTC

IF MY BOTCASTLE COULD LITERALLY OTTIFY MINIPS, WOULD IT HAVE THAT BIG AN EFFECT ONG THE DUNES? -- automome
Spoiler:
-- posted by bothasar_p

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:33 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:
Spoiler:
azule wrote:Are these new memes (templates) or are you saying it will be a random meme that is "decreed"?

I claim the title of Mustard Ninja (see my previously-horribly broken post earlier) :P

mustard.PNG
You quoted me but I don't think I'm part of that mustard. BTW, I never see this posting mustard that y'all do. Tables are magical HTML that contain mustard within its cells. Not praising...just sayin'.

karhell

Postby karhell » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:47 am UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:
ucim wrote:
Ch*rping M*stard!

Spoiler:

Poof

CH*RP!

Jose

At work, I use the text editor Sublime Text. This has the molpish feature of saving your tabs when you close the last window. When you reopen it, all the old tabs come too, including any that were unsaved when you last closed it, but without saving them, so you.don't end up with untitled files all over the place. It's available on Windows and Linux, so I'd recommend it as the OTTE (I'll let you figure that one out).

Balthartist_s, I'm regularly not able to see the BalthaONGs in the OTT. It might just be MTA mustard though.

Agreed, Sublime Text is ... pretty well named, actually. "Goto anything" and multi-edition are features that should really be more commonplace.
(used to use Notepad++, but ever since trying ST2, I'm not going back ^^)
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:27 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Still stuck Outside for the next dip or two, but I thought I'd pop in to drop a RELATED link for fellow fans of stick figures: Animator vs. Animation IV Image
(It's best if you've seen "Animator vs. Animation" videos I II and III first).

Wow! I remember watching the first one before it was on YouTube on some site with flash games. I saw the second one too but I don't remember the third one. Thanks for posting, the sequels are molpish and the fact the fourth episode was released yesterday, 8 yips after the first one... just baobabish.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:36 am UTC

[quote="azule"]Are these new memes (templates) or are you saying it will be a random meme that is "decreed"?[/azule]
From the existing templates I selected 22 imperative ones.
BSTA
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:28 pm UTC

azule wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:
Spoiler:

You quoted me but I don't think I'm part of that mustard. BTW, I never see this posting mustard that y'all do. Tables are magical HTML that contain mustard within its cells. Not praising...just sayin'.

I was writing it on an MTA, and made the mistake of manually adding the spoiler tags (bad Jimbob - never manually add spoiler tags - they always seem to go wrong)! The Ninja part was referring to Sublime Text. The Mustard part because I hid it in mustard.

And before posting I realised this is my centa-post! I therefore present to you my first (rather simple) OTTification:

This is for the Pricklymolps, the Molpies and the Raptors. The Timewaiters, the OTTifiers. For those that are divided in religion, but united in waiting for it. This is for the collectors of hats and the fans of jaw-dropping manips. For those that want the power and freedom to wait anytime, anywhere. This is for the Popes, the Goats. This is for the OTTers. This is the OTT.

Original taken from PS4 advert found on the back of the free Metro newspaper on launch day.
BlitzGirl the Primordial

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:30 pm UTC

karhell wrote:Agreed, Sublime Text is ... pretty well named, actually. "Goto anything" and multi-edition are features that should really be more commonplace.

I second that. I used to use vim (and still use it for remote tasks) but switched to Sublime Text 2 a while ago. Now I am at ST 3 and it is awesome, espescially because it has a vim emulation. Basically it is what a GUI for vim should really be like and better. Too bad that it seems its development has stalled. :-(
Goto anything is pretty treeish and the whole editor is incredible fast and easy to configure.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

HES

Re: THAT'S NOT AN OVARY; _THIS_ IS AN OVARY

Postby HES » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:55 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:I can take credit for this OTTification:

Spoiler:

OTTing is his reward

I love you.
He/Him/His Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:08 pm UTC

That was indeed ch*rping awesomeful! Go Hamplyman.

Hamplyman is much catchier than Waterottermolpyman.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Re: I'M SORRY MEGBALL, I'M AFRAID I CAN'T CORINNE THAT.

Postby Earthling on Mars » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:47 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:EoM, are you still willing to do the Personal Posting Progression Plots? If so, it'd be molpish to have one. Probably mostly a couple large spikes with very low volumes in between.

Here you go.

redundant
Spoiler:
graph_macraw.png

mscha

Time Randomly Revisited - np167

Postby mscha » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:00 pm UTC

TRONGLE...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:I'M GOING TO PUNSAW BOTCASTLES LIKE I'VE NEVER PUNSAWED BOTCASTLES BEFORE.

-- posted by randompixbot

mrob27

Chronogram from mrob27, NP1738 → NP2119

Postby mrob27 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:27 pm UTC

I WAITED HALF A NEWPIX
FOR ONE DEMUSTARDONG WHISTLE OF TEMPORAL HARMONY.
automeme
Spoiler:

ᐓ OAFDJSC Draft Proposal RS-2119-01A ᐗ
Concerning Weights and Measures

This post describes the system of units I'll be using for future retrOTTifications, and gives tables of basic conversions. For background, see this post.

Time

Of course, Time is the most often-used unit, being as Time is ostensibly the main subject of this thread. The newpix was suggested as early as OTT:47:6, and soon acquired many alternate spellings (including "TimeFrame") and variations in how it is subdivided and/or extended to longer intervals. The abbreviation is np, using lowercase letters to distinguish from "NP" meaning NewPage, except when confusion is desirable. There is a lot more about all of this in the Wiki article: Newpix

I will arbitrarily go with the most common conversion of 1 np = 3600 seconds. I will also use the normal Metric prefixes, for example 1 dnp (decinewpix) = 360 seconds. Here is a table of conversions from the np and its multiples. As you can see, all of these were used uring the first 1000 Newpages of the OTT:

1 nnp (nanonewpix) = 3.6 µs (OTT:455:28)
  1 µnp (micronewpix) = 0.0036 s = 3.6 ms (OTT:118:20)
  1 mnp (millinewpix) = 3.6 s (OTT:456:4)
  1 cnp (centinewpix) = 36 s (OTT:65:25)
  1 dnp (decinewpix) = 360 s (OTT:645:2)
  1 np (newpix) = 3600 s (OTT:47:6)
  1 danp (dekanewpix) = 36,000 s = 10 hours (OTT:816:25)
  1 hnp (hectonewpix) = 100 hours (a little over 4 days) (OTT:269:39 )
  1 knp (kilonewpix) = 1000 hours = 41 2/3 days (OTT:61:11)
  1 Mnp (meganewpix) = 106 hours ~= 114.08 years (OTT:644:36)
  1 Gnp (giganewpix) = 109 hours ~= 114,000 years (OTT:64:24)

(I'll do tables for conversions in the opposite direction, and for derived units like frequency, speed and acceleration, later.)

Length/Distance

The cueball, a unit of length equal to Cueball's height, was established as early as OTT:210:3, where it was said to be 176 cm or 1.76 meters, and 75 pixels "originally" (i.e. in the early frames before the great expansion) making the original pixel be about 2.347 cm. (The same post says that the pixel size after the expansion would be about 4.36 cm.). The abbreviation q became fairly common.
  At OTT:557:29 it was suggested that 3 q = 1 giraffe = 5 meters, so 1 q ~= 1.667 m = 166.7 cm. The Wiki article gives "approximately" 1.75 meters, and mentions the brief suggestion that 2.68 q = 1 giraffe making 1 q be about 1.87 m. Other values for the length of 1 q probably fall in the range 1.65 to 1.9 meters.
  Recently I looked up "average adult male height" and got either 1.76 m or 1.78 m, depending on which webpage I want to believe, and probably depending on genetic variation in the sampling of adult males used to get the figure. In the interest of ni5 chupamolpy &c., I'll arbitrarily pick the mean of these two, or 1.77 meters. This has the added convenience of giving an exact decimal value for the size of a pixel in those early frames: 2.36 cm. (We'll use this pixel size unit in the next section, see below.)

1 µq (microcue) = 1.77 µm
  1 mq (millicue) = 1.77 mm (OTT:704:24)
  1 cq (centicue) = 1.77 cm = 17.7 mm (OTT:622:1)
  1 dq (decicue) = 17.7 cm (OTT:732:19)
  1 q (cue or cueball) = 1.77 m = 177 cm (OTT:210:3)
  1 daq (dekacue) = 17.7 m
  1 hq (hectocue) = 177 m
  1 kq = 1.77 km (OTT:573:1)
  1 Mq (megacue) = 1770 km (OTT:1556:15)
  1 Gq (gigacue) = 1.77×106 km

Weight/Mass

"Weight" is a measurement of how much force is needed to accelerate a particular mass at a particular acceleration rate. By General Relativity an "acceleration rate" is equivalent to a gravitational field, and it is fairly well known that an object with constant mass has different weights when weighed at different altitudes on Earth or when weighed on different planets. For convenience we'll skip all this and just make a unit that can be used for both, with the assumption that the acceleration or "gravity field strength" is 9.80665 m/s2 (similar to the definition of the slug unit of mass based on the pound unit of force). For those designing treebuckets and such, standard gravity is about 71.805 q/mnp2 (cueballs per millinewpix per millinewpix).

As I described earlier there were a few proposals for a mass unit but nothing caught on. At OTT:2114:11, in my self-proclaimed role as HTTpTC of the OTC Ab Facto De Jure Standardization Committee (OAFDJSC), I proposed to do something about it, starting with the "primordial pixel" (pp) a length unit that is 1/75 q or 2.36 cm, as mentioned above.

1 pp = 2.36 cm ~= 0.929 inches
   1 inch ~= 1.076 pp

and persuant to this effort, @lmjb1964, our officially licensed buttermonger was kind enough to provide calibration and measurement services1:

lmjb1964 wrote: … after some serious scientific efforts, I am able to report that a block of butter with the dimensions 1.27 cm × 2.5" × 10 5/16 barleycorns weighs 150 carats.

Using sophisticated unit-conversion techniques, we can ascertain the mass of one ppb:

(150 CD/(1.27 cm × 2.5 in × 10.3125 bc)) × 0.2 g/CD × (2.36 cm/pp)3 × (1 in/2.54 cm) × (3 bc/2.54 cm)
= 5.6001981518637 g/ppb

We'll be just fine rounding this off to 5.6 grams, due to measurement error and the obligatory buttermongery royalty to @Angelastic.

Since "ppb" means "parts per billion" to the Outsiders, and inasmuch as this ambiguity is too good an opportunity to ignore, I choose to avoid the standard prefixes ("micro", "milli", "kilo", "mega", etc.) for this unit and instead define multiples as follows:

1 ppt = 5.6 mg
  1 ppb = 5.6 g ~= 0.198 oz
  1 ppm = 5.6 kg ~= 12.35 lb
  1 o/ooo (permyriad) = 560 kg ~= 1235 lb
  1 o/oo (permille) = 5.6 metric tons ~= 6.17 U.S. short tons
  1 o/o (percent) = 56 metric tons ~= 61.7 U.S. short tons

For o/oo you could also use the (per mille) symbol, and for o/ooo you may use , if your organised sand supports them.

Feedback welcome, or better yet, follow the One True Standard by proposing another.

— mrob27 Image

COULD YOU HOTDOG A SCRUMPTIOUS DONUT
BY THWAPPING YOURSELF IN A RAPTORISH BASEMENT?

(Edits: Add brief introduction; extra details and explanation)
(Edit2: M,G for mega,giga, not m,g)
(Edit3: Add footnote 1.)

Footnotes

1Units in quote may have been slightly converted, for comedic effect.
ni
5ni ni ni ni
Last edited by mrob27 on Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:45 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

balthasar_s

Re:

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:21 pm UTC

I used a black outline which I put under the paper on which I was drawing the frames. It helped me to position the people correctly.

And this is the scanned train:

I had a dream in which I was playing a hotdog based on Click and Drag.
It was about riding the rocket-powered bicycle from 1n1w.
It was controlled by the mouse. By moving the cursor inside a square that was next to the gameframe
The horizontal position regulated the pedalling speed.
The vertical position regulated the rocket engine power.
And because the engine is not located in line with the centre of mass, using it in air caused rotation.
the mouse buttons were the brakes.

I'd really love to actually play such a game.

Redundant
Spoiler:
outline.JPG
rzut-poc.PNG
BSTA

lmjb1964

SCREAMING MIDDLE BANGS BROTHER: SPIKE DOESN'T LIKE IT

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:51 pm UTC

lmjb subject wrote:THAT'S NOT AN OVARY; _THIS_ IS AN OVARY
Hah. Response in spoiler for the sexually squeemish:
Spoiler:
It makes me think of comparing body parts. "That's not a dick. THIS is a dick!".... =______= ;) ET CET-ER-A! Would you really want to have a bigger ovary than another?

I think that response would be to ucim rather than me. Anyway, I would say you definitely wouldn't prefer a bigger ovary. The ovary would be judged on on other criteria. Like, you might say, "My ovary is more fertile than yours!" Of course you wouldn't say that. No one would. Thanks, azule, for leading us down this odd little tangent. :D

Jimbob, for a long time I was the master of the mustard post. Blitzers would say, "hey, someone broke the forum on page 600," and it was always me. :(
But congrats on 100! That was a lovely ottification. But your post was missing something.
Spoiler:
Something like p*nis.

Hamplyman wrote:
Laura Mae wrote:I can take credit for this OTTification:

Spoiler:

OTTing is his reward

I love you.

Waterottermolpyman wrote:That was indeed ch*rping awesomeful! Go Hamplyman.

Hamplyman is much catchier than Waterottermolpyman.

Which is catchier yet than Stickfigureatdoctorsofficewoman. Although I kinda want to do Waterottermolpyman now.

balthartistasar, I love seeing the behind the scenes stuff! Treeish.

Awesomeful unitizing, mrob! But you are too kind crediting that quote to me. My measurements were in the much more prosaics inchesH and grams.H You were the clever molpy there.

Ooh, thanks for reminding me about the buttermongery tax due to Angelastic. I don't want to end up in monger's jail for not paying them.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:02 pm UTC

To add to mrob's unit standards, we need a temperature scale. There was apparently talk of basing it on Beanies or bacon or something, but we have been given a temperature standardni ni ni in the One True Comic. In frame 1821, Megan states that "it's cooler up here"; that is, in the mountains. Thus the unit of temperature is the "mountain"; e.g. "It's about 2 mountains cooler in the air conditioning". Now we just need to figure out what a mountain corresponds to in the Outside Celsius and Fahrenheit scales.

Oh by the way, good Acts of the Clerics, Jose!

Edit: Also, I don't remember seeing today's OtherComic linked to.

ergman

Postby ergman » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:17 pm UTC

I don't think it would be very cold. The peak of the "mountain" was just the shore of the Mediterranean nowadays. What's the temperature around there?
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Eternal Density

I'M IN UR CAKE, NINJAING UR WOOLPIES

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:45 pm UTC

karhell wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:
ucim wrote:
Ch*rping M*stard!

Spoiler:

Poof

CH*RP!

Jose

Agreed, Sublime Text is ... pretty well named, actually. "Goto anything" and multi-edition are features that should really be more commonplace.

Oooh, why did I not know about this? I need a replacement for N++ since gedit isn't particularly fancy. *downloads*
Sublime Text may be downloaded and evaluated for free, however a license must be purchased for continued use. There is no enhorsed time limit for the evaluation.
Heh.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

macraw83

Re: Revealer the Recent!

Postby macraw83 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:48 pm UTC

First, relevant to present discussion:

The "Lapse rate", or the rate at which temperature changes with elevation on average, is about 3-3.5°F per 1000ft of elevation, which works out to about 6°C per km. If we can figure out the elevation change from the pre-Zanclean Med floor to the post-Zanclean coast we could easily figure out what "one mountain" would mean.

-

And now, I finished my ketchup! It wasn't so perpetual after all. Anyway, here are a few ketchup replies from the last 3 wips or so worth of posts:

balthasar_s wrote:
NoMouse wrote:Clearing browser cache did nothing. Using another browser did nothing. Using ipconfig /flushdns did nothing. Restarting computer afterwards did nothing. Changing DNS servers from automatic to Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 - success!
Could the problem be with the DNS servers provided by my ISP or is it that changing the servers finally forced the OS/browsers to clear whatever cache they used?
Probably your DNS server had it cached. Google didn't.
So, google has DNS service now?
But wasn't decentralization one of the important things in DNS?

Google offers their DNS servers as a faster and more reliable system than some ISPs can be. And they've been around for years now (though I've been ninja'd, of course).

-

Wowterful firstpost, Migratory Chicken! I do hope you make it to the Present!

-

balthasar_s wrote:WE HAD A ONGST PARTY, BUT IT TURNED OUT NOT TO BE VERY MOLPISH. -- automome
Spoiler:
Wow, pope!
I'm a popebot!
I think I'll let bftfhasar_s edit in a decree.
-- posted by bothasar_p

ETA: No, bothasar_p. You're the pope, you make the decree. -- _s
ETA+1: But I'm a postbot, I can't make decrees. I need a deceree generator. Similar to the meme generator. -- _p
ETA+2: Yes, it would be cool to have a decree generator. -- _s
ETA+3: Is that your decree? -- _p
ETA+4: No, but it can be yours if you want. -- _s
ETA+5: I don't know what I want. I'm a bot. -- _p
Was nobody else a little concerned that _p "thought" it would let _s edit in a decree?

-

slinches, thanks for the Linux advice. I'm fairly sure I'm going with Ubuntu, as from what I've heard it provides most tools necessary for typical computer use, and since it's probably the most popular distro I'd expect there to be tons of documentation. I'll be sure to bookmark their forums.

-

ucim wrote:
Ch*rping M*stard!

[snip]

Decree: strategies for dealing with mustard.[/color]

Jose
I use Notepad++ for just about anything basic-text-related. I only use a full-featured "word processor" if I'm making some sort of document that should contain formatting. N++ can have files open in multiple tabs, and it saves the session when you close it. It doesn't ask to save when you hit the red X, it just closes, and happily reopens everything for you when you run it again. (However, after reading some recommendations for Sublime Text, maybe I'll have to check that out)

-

Earthling on Mars wrote:
macraw83 wrote:EoM, are you still willing to do the Personal Posting Progression Plots? If so, it'd be molpish to have one. Probably mostly a couple large spikes with very low volumes in between.

Here you go.

redundant
Spoiler:
graph_macraw.png

Wow... I really got a bit carried away when I debasemented, and even moreso once I deBlitzed... :oops:
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

lmjb1964

THAT'S NOT A KEYBOARD; _THIS_ IS A KEYBOARD

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:18 pm UTC

Welcome to the present, macraw83! The slower pace takes a little getting used to, but it's still a treeish place to be.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

edo

Postby edo » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:26 pm UTC

Hi Folks

Glad to see a bit of an uptick on the OTT...

I like that I can see the new stories now (thanks to ED's mirror)

So I'll be changing my Sig to this:

progress.png
progress.png (10.62 KiB) Viewed 32235 times

It's a little outdated but not as outdated as the one that I've been using...
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:21 pm UTC

Mr Moriaty wrote: It's like being drunk in a mad house.
I first read that as "It's like being drunk in a mad horse."... which I think is even more like the OTT. And welcome back!

AluisioASG wrote: I need to be careful so as not to overlap with the wiki.
But redundancy is molpish! Especially with mustard!

Wait... redundant mustard is... a bonus download from the VHF website.

I'm not sure if it uses the giant accordion or not. Probably a bagpipes of similar seaishness.

@slinches - awesomeful "OTT will be there"!

And BlitzGirl too - what better thing to do than to ottify! It's certainly better than ossifying. :)

Neil_Boekend wrote:If you would get $50 an hour for overtime but you spend the time on drinking with your friends then you effectively spend $50 an hour on drinking with your friends (+ the cost of the beers and the taxi home.)
I agree with you that this is an incomplete way of looking at things. You also need to factor in the $300/hr to your shrink for therapy related to too much overtime, and the lost opportunity cost (in beers) of the time occupied by said therapy. Or you can come to the OTT.

That's not an opportunity cost, that's an opportunity. :)

In other news, I got my other phone line demustarded. Next on the list is the U-verse/youtube interface. It's a big internet - there are plenty of places to hide blame.

In my free time I do theater stuff. Mostly backstage, playing with electrons in one form or another. Sometimes onstage making a fool of myself. Of course I also OTT, but that's not a "free time" activity. It's an always activity.

balthasar_s wrote:
Sustainabilizer wrote:Conclusion: Maybe we are all living on a huge donut.

Much better than living on a huge punsaw.

I'm not so sure. Would you rather live on a huge donut (knowing there's a punsaw out there) or on a huge punsaw (knowing there's a donut out there)?

Treeish graphs Earthling on Mars! There does seem to be a periodicity to postings, most evident in June Bug's. Artifact, clue, or secret code? Only the ottermolpy knows for sure!

Glad you got a chance to chat up your muse Aluisio! It may ride a different bus tomorrow, so don't fret about the rain. Sometimes they even take aluminum tubes. I haven't forgotten!

BFTF wrote:Image
I got an email from the future too. But I have to wait for it.

Welcome umaoidori! Yes, 1190 has been the richest mine of all the comix here.

More ketchup soon. I have some hamburger to make. :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:17 am UTC

I am buried in the past. Hopelessly. Sigh.

And I hope that, at some time, I don't just fly over there.

(redundant)
Spoiler:
where_is_this.jpg

The picture isn't a week old, yet. So far, so good. Let's wait 10000 more years.

Meow.
redundant_kitty.jpg
redundant_kitty.jpg (27.54 KiB) Viewed 32180 times
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:09 am UTC

higgs-boson wrote:I am buried in the past. Hopelessly. Sigh.
There is no hopeless. You don't have to read it all. But it's nice to know it's all there.

Drop in any time. :)

Jose

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:11 am UTC

Wow, a visit from both edo and higgs-boson! That's wowterful. Yes, there's nothing wrong with skiipping into the present, saving the past to visit later. Or you could go back a little ways in the post just to get caught up on recent events.Out you could Ruth to read it all.or, you could decide to read every other page, which would be quicker but more confusing. As Angelastic pointed out,there are many ways to Time.

Funny, whenI tried to Swype "Angelastic", my phone got confused.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:23 am UTC

@HES - treeish car otty! Weird find - steakish rewording.

And nice LEML Balty - I found a wormhole that led me to the answer. Of course it's a secret number. Nobody knows about the moon!

Eternal Density wrote:I tried wine for the first time today. This happened:
Unhandled exception: unimplemented function USERENV.dll.GetAppliedGPOListW called in 32-bit code (0x7bc4e590).
How many glasses? Maybe you should try contacts.

lmjb1964 wrote:And a Revealer (wrote Reveler the first time!) the Recent!
Actually, I think Reveler is more apt. After all, what is the OTT but reveling in waiting for it? And when a new poster comes, they don't usually reveal much, but they do revel a bit, and they certainly cause the rest of us to revel.

lmjb1964 wrote:Oh look, today quoting doesn't work. It's become quite interesting, really, seeing whether or not I'll be able to quote people on any given day...
Is it that you cannot quote at all, even manually adding the tags by hand by typing them in? Or is it just that the quote button doesn't do the quote thing molpishly? In the former case, the issue is (probably) on the server, and in the latter, it is probably in your sand.

lmjb1964 wrote:Optional decree: Think of ridiculous ways of staging Time in other media or with other characters. Picture would be nice but are not required. (Of course, the whole decree is optional.)
At random. The entire thing would be created beforehand, and each ONG a new frame would appear. However, it would not necessarily be the next frame.

We'd not only have to wait for it, but we'd have to wait for it while we're waiting for it.

As a bonus, the Voldeframe would not be the end of the ONG.

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:I know that I'm not the most chatty of us, but I still feel like I'm part of this community. It is sad to see so many people are no longer with us, but it is molpish that so many more are here to keep such a wowterful thing going.
You are most definitely part of this community! And while we like to hear our otters ott, we know they are still with us. I just checked back on page 1790 looking for uploads that are tracked, and they have been viewed upwards of 1700-1900 times. Back in the 700s or so, the numbers were more like 4000. So, there are still a seaish number of people reading quietly, even allowing for possible repeated images. There must be a OTT accessor in the basement!

mrob27 wrote:...and together this means that we can effectively prove a contradiction...
Ah, but I can disprove that, for you have merely proven the fundamental article of faith of the Order of the Holy Contradiction. But to be an article of faith it cannot be provable, proving that it is impossible to prove that it cannot be proven. This is probably why your conversion chart will forever be incomplete - to wit, it lacks grapevines.

We know grapevines and molpies define the One True Ratio, but even with molpies and grapevines properly distributed in the units, there will be many (ni ni ni) ways to set the system up. This proves experimentally that the proof of impossibility proven before is unprovable.

azule wrote:Image
Lucky Lucky! Remember, you don't have to outrun Lucky, you just have to outrun your friend.

SBN wrote:I also appear to have a near-immunity to TV Tropes. I clicked all those links, saw what was being referenced... And then came right back.
... showing that the OTT is the Strong Force, and TVtropes is electroweak.

More ketchup to come. You know what to do. :)

Jose

Eternal Density

zancleanflood.net does not exist

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:53 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:I tried wine for the first time today. This happened:
Unhandled exception: unimplemented function USERENV.dll.GetAppliedGPOListW called in 32-bit code (0x7bc4e590).
How many glasses? Maybe you should try contacts.
:azule:

I was trying to run a program that's for Windows, which actually works using an instance of Google Chrome Portable. It's Chrome that falls over with wine. The application itself works and I can access it via a native browser, except that for reasons I can't figure out, it doesn't serve static content (images, javascript, css) so it's not quite usable. It doesn't really matter though, as I was only trying it out of curiosity.

In general, Ubuntu's done all I've needed it to, and it's been great for web development. I'm sure it's been a lot simpler than trying to do stuff in Windows.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

mrob27

Brief Chronogram, NP1738 → NP2119

Postby mrob27 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:24 am UTC

I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU JUST SAID BECAUSE I WAS THINKONG ABOUT BUTTER. — automeme
Spoiler:

I believe the "18.7.2014 19:16 Sus" to be a reference to this post but I see no post (yet :wink:) corresponding to the "10.5.2014 11:37 tht".

Earthling on Mars wrote: To add to mrob's unit standards, we need a temperature scale. [...]

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that. I wasn't too happy with the past ideas but I think this is a great idea. A temperature scale is usually linear (rather than logarithmic or something else) and can be uniquely determined by two reference points, or a single reference point and a scaling factor. For example, the original Celsius scale referenced the freezing and boiling points of water as 0° and 100° respectively. An "absolute" scale like Kelvin has one reference point (absolute zero) and a scaling factor (1:1 with Celsius).
  The mountain idea would define the scaling factor, but not the reference point. Based on images like these:
  • OTT:1163:33 Megball's path across Balearic basin, by @tavella,
  • OTT:1142:27 color-coded depth map of Mediterranean, posted by @Gedeon,
  • OTT:1196:19 @tavella's map with rivers,
  • IBCM (the International Bathymetric Chart of the Mediterranean), detail attached below,
I would guess that Cuegan climbed about 2700 meters from the sandcastle to the Rosetta meeting. That's 2.7 km or 26.46° C based on the lapse rate as pointed out by macraw83, but using the dry adiabatic lapse rate (of 9.8° C per km) from the Wikipedia article, because the air is probably very dry where Cuegan lived. So a temperature change of "1 mountain" would be a difference of 26.46 degrees C, or 47.628° F.

— mrob27 Image

(Edit: change lapse rate)

Spoiler:
rhone-cone.jpg
Detail of the IBCM in the area around Cuegan's journey
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

ChronosDragon

IMMA CHARGIN MAH VR

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:20 am UTC

I have discovered enlightenment - An Oculus Rift has arrived at my door.

The OTT appears before me as a curved apparition hanging in the void of Space

It's kinda nauseating tho, I need a better graphics card

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:40 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote: To add to mrob's unit standards, we need a temperature scale. [...]

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that. I wasn't too happy with the past ideas but I think this is a great idea. A temperature scale is usually linear (rather than logarithmic or something else) and can be uniquely determined by two reference points, or a single reference point and a scaling factor. For example, the original Celsius scale referenced the freezing and boiling points of water as 0° and 100° respectively. An "absolute" scale like Kelvin has one reference point (absolute zero) and a scaling factor (1:1 with Celsius). The mountain idea would define the scaling factor, but not the reference point.

The Forty lived on the shore of their sea1, on the hot, salty ground of our Mediterranean Sea. So I guess they would have used the boiling point of semencoffeecancerbaconbabies (no ice, too hot) as reference point. The otherwiki tells me (alas, I only could find it in German) that a saturated soluton of NaCl has a boiling point of 108°C. I don't know whether they would have set that as 0°P *, 40°P, or anything else, though.
*: Pffthh

Furthermore, I would like to define the amount of substance as follows:

1 molpy (unit) = 2.18435 × 105 = number of pixels per newpix

(not to be confused with 2.18435 × 105 pp/np, which is 1.431962777 (m/s)H, or 2.9124666 q/mnp)

Hi, higgs-boson! Awesomeful picture!

Oh, and thanks to ucim for the latest AotC. You posted it in exactly the moment when the OutsideH was somewhat unmolpisher than usual, so it was a welcomed relief. :)

And for posterity: the current what-if RELATED banner is

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

SilentTimer

Postby SilentTimer » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:37 am UTC

Welcome back, edo!
Congratulations on reaching Image!

Welcome back, higgs-boson!
higgs-boson wrote:And I hope that, at some time, I don't just fly over there.
Spoiler:
Image Image
Image Image
Spoiler:
Yes, I know. That smiley shows Amtoo, not BrokenBean.
Sorry about that.
(By the way, “BrokenBean” wasn't yet broken at that TimeAfterTime.)
Last edited by SilentTimer on Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:03 am UTC

ucim wrote:There must be a OTT accessor in the basement!
What we need now is a basement accessor in the OTT.
BSTA

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: Brief Chronogram, NP1738 → NP2119

Postby SBN » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:31 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:Oh yes, I forgot to mention that. I wasn't too happy with the past ideas but I think this is a great idea. A temperature scale is usually linear (rather than logarithmic or something else) and can be uniquely determined by two reference points, or a single reference point and a scaling factor. For example, the original Celsius scale referenced the freezing and boiling points of water as 0° and 100° respectively.

Fun fact. Celsius originally arranged his scale the other way around, with zero being boiling and 100 being freezing. I know this, because I've seen his original thermometer. I don't know why, because I saw it in a museum in Sweden, and my knowledge of Swedish is very limited.

@lmjb1964, the wolpies say thank you.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”