1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Neil_Boekend

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:38 am UTC

Why not indiscriminate ch*rping as a photo activity?

ETAD: find more photo activities.
Last edited by Neil_Boekend on Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:43 am UTC

lmjb - Looking forward to your continuation of Molpy Hunter! Thanks for sharing your soapbox story. My story is similar(ish).

lmjb wrote:As a writer you're not supposed to do that?
I considered more replies to the xkcdsucks review, but then I'd probably have a "point by point" on my hands. I agree. They say to write about what you know...but you're not then supposed to include those things you know in what you write? ;)

Sustainabilizer - Colorful OdeTiTy! (And I mean, colorful, as in characters/company.) I love how the group includes 38% non-standard figures (ie, not your standard stick figures).

SilentTime wrote:azule illustrated this scene in his awesomeful short-story
The Trick Was Rubbing Two Sticks Together. (Warning: NSFW.)
Aww, thanks! BTW, I could construct a SFWSBN version. It shouldn't come out too different.

Re:rollercoaster -- Build the chess pieces out of sand. They could all be sandcastles (what is that, a rook?).

Neil_Boekend wrote:Why not indiscriminate ch*rping as a photo activity?
What a ch*rping mouth you have on you! Good thing you're pope. Also: hahah!

SBN Not Smallest Fluffy Wolpy.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:09 am UTC

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Dracomax Basement wgah'nagi fhtagn

"That is not basemented which can eternal sleeping lie, and in what strange aeons, even Death may die"

Hi.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:26 am UTC

Oh, look, a wild Dracomax appeared! Hi, Dracomax! :D
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:27 am UTC

It worked! (waiting for "it" (it = Dracomax (no, that's not quite correct (someone close these parens....or I'll freak out (I'm trusting you xuys!

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:29 am UTC

azule wrote:It worked! (waiting for "it" (it = Dracomax (no, that's not quite correct (someone close these parens....or I'll freak out (I'm trusting you xuys!

)))))

That do? I'll leave five extras just in case - ))))).
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:30 am UTC

Dracomax wrote:Hi

Hi, Dracomax. Good to see you. Are you going to the meetup?

Edited to fix tags.
Last edited by SBN on Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:41 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:38 am UTC

SBN wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Hi.[/size]

Hi, Dracomax. Good to see you. Are you going to the meetup?

Probably not, unless it is in the US. even then, likely not. keep getting chased by dead lions...
“have i gone mad?

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:45 am UTC

What's "dead lions", Dracomax? Did you happen to mean roarpies? (I don't know what I'm doing. Molpification fail.)

I won't quote you, TheMinim, but thanks! And congrats on 888posts!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:58 am UTC

azule wrote:What's "dead lions", Dracomax? Did you happen to mean roarpies? (I don't know what I'm doing. Molpification fail.)

Undead Giant Luckykin. Or possibly Large Zombie Raptorcats?

At any rate, they keep coming after me for not having finished things in a timely manner.
“have i gone mad?

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:19 pm UTC

TheMinim wrote:
azule wrote:It worked! (waiting for "it" (it = Dracomax (no, that's not quite correct (someone close these parens....or I'll freak out (I'm trusting you xuys!

)))))

So are umatched left parens ("(") considered worse that unmatched right parens (")")?34 Do they have to be standard parens ("(") and (")"), or do the other styles aggrivate the OCD in the OTTTM. Hope nobody minds if I leave one of these lying around ("[")

none of the abovewhat about missing footnotes?
see recursionwhat about footnotes that aren't referenced above?
or a note without a body
metaI forgot what goes here
non-sequitorAll these "sup" tags make me crave soup
ascii artCan't tell if those quoted parens in parens look like faces, or asses. I can never tell the difference IRL either (Zachary disease)
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:25 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:
TheMinim wrote:

)))))

So are umatched left parens ("(") considered worse that unmatched right parens (")")?34 Do they have to be standard parens ("(") and (")"), or do the other styles aggrivate the OCD in the OTTTM. Hope nobody minds if I leave one of these lying around ("[")

"}"
“have i gone mad?

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:27 pm UTC

azule wrote:Re:rollercoaster -- Build the chess pieces out of sand. They could all be sandcastles (what is that, a rook?).
That would be cheating, and wouldn't work at night.

Hi Dracomax - welcome back! And it's good to see TheMinim again too, though I know she (and her slithery friend) has been here all along.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

HES

Postby HES » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:45 pm UTC

micdi wrote:And that might really be difficult to smuggle in...

Just distract the guards with a nearby rendition of molpy molpy molpy.

(I'm assuming castle-themed rollerrafts have guards, right?)

Also, new WorkTA and I can post with it!
He/Him/His Image

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:00 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:help me I just watched a half-nopix video on the properties of semencoffeecancerbaconstarsandish substances...

I was just skipping through the video but the parts where he is squeezing the sands with his hands were surprisingly relaxing to watch.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

ergman

Hi Minim! We've missed you!

Postby ergman » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:08 pm UTC

What if we had very specific amnesia and kept welcoming Minim back to the thread every time she posts? :P

Hi Dracomax! Don't worry about those raptorcats. You can fly, and they can not.

As far as sustainability goes, someone should talk about how people keep coming back, even after long amounts of time.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:37 pm UTC

Interview survived. Now I wait. (But I'm good at that.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:06 pm UTC

TRANSMISSIONGERROR...
Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:16 pm UTC

("]")

lmjb1964 wrote:
Spoiler:
Jon Levi on xkcdsucks wrote:That being said, you don't write a story for the sake of dropping every single piece of your research into it. And that's what I think Randall has done. The extensive journey sections look like they were written simply to show off Randall's knowledge of Afro-European fauna. As a writer, you are not supposed to do this. I think research is a fine way to make your fictional world feel more real, but there is such a thing as overdoing it.
As a writer you're not supposed to do that? I don't really think that's true, any more than I think that Time represents the full breadth of GLR's knowledge of the Zanclean flood or Afro-European fauna.

But I can forgive him because he used awesomeful :D (which also marks him as an OTTer.)
azule wrote:I agree. They say to write about what you know...but you're not then supposed to include those things you know in what you write? ;)

The idea is that a writer can include so many details not relevant to the story, that it distracts from the story. Personally I don't mind a few digressions in a story, but I think there is such a thing as too much. Whether the details in Time were too much is a different question--it was a different medium than most stories.

Actually, I think the details would be too much if Time were a regular movie or book. We didn't really need to know about the brown and blotchy snake or the pricklymolp--they were completely irrelevant to the story. I'm not sure Time was so much about the the story, though, as about...time. Waiting for it. We just got a story along the way. And some molpies, which worked well to fill the waiting.

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:08 pm UTC

It's a different medium, with different rules (that are being explored, since it was the first of its kind). Think of all the exquisite detail that can be incorporated into the opening shot of a movie, which instantly sets the stage for what is to come. To do the same thing in a novel might be several pages of irrelevant distraction, which instead gets in the way of the story.

And yes, Time was about waiting for it. That was the message of the medium. The end was rushed, and there wasn't a lot of waiting for it happening. (Ironically, the GLR could have kept the story's pace slow without having to redraw much at all, since he got so much mileage out of reusing backgrounds and such). I think perhaps
Spoiler:
He got tired of waiting for it!
Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:03 pm UTC

Per the newly edited decree: drinking beer.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

NoMouse

PUNSAWING IS A ART

Postby NoMouse » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:22 pm UTC

ucim wrote:And yes, Time was about waiting for it. That was the message of the medium. The end was rushed, and there wasn't a lot of waiting for it happening. (Ironically, the GLR could have kept the story's pace slow without having to redraw much at all, since he got so much mileage out of reusing backgrounds and such). I think perhaps
Spoiler:
He got tired of waiting for it!
Jose

I was thinking of this earlier - maybe it was for us - we've waited for so long, often 4 newpix per just one background with Cuegan just walking (or half an hour for one darkening pixel), so GLR rewarded us for staying so long with his story by making the way back much quicker and therefore less painfulw. But yeah, as a result, it was rushed and t** **d caught us unprepared.

wIn fact, he has trained our patience to such level that we wouldn't mind.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

jimbobmacdoodle

(

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:37 pm UTC

All these various attempts to close parentheses of various descriptions amuse me. Mainly, they seem to be ignoring the fact that each is contained in quotes, thus rendering it unnecessary to close them. In most programming languages, characters enclosed within quotes are treated as strings and can contain anything within them, without breaking grammar rules. However, unmatched ones that are not enclosed in quotes usually result in a horrible and painful death. Furthermore, parentheses must be matched before any outer sets are. Thus ({) will cause everything to explode. *Ducks* to avoid explosion.

Edit to fix leopard mustard
Last edited by jimbobmacdoodle on Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:38 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:13 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Per the newly edited decree: drinking beer.

Working on it - not much that I can imagine being better than working on a two-person team, when your senior partner is also your best friend, and loves beer even more than you... beer

beerproof that god3 loves you and wants you to be happy1776
trinityactual size
big numberQuote attributed to Tommy Jefferson

***Edit to add443726345***
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:All these vactions attempts to close parentheses of various descriptions amuse me. Mainly, they seem to be ignoring the fact that each is contained in quotes, thus rendering it unnecessary to close them. In most programming languages, characters enclosed within quotes are treated as strings and can contain anything within them, without breaking grammar rules. However, unmatched ones that are not enclosed in quotes usually result in a horrible and painful death. Furthermore, parentheses must be matched before any outer sets are. Thus ({) will cause everything to explode. *Ducks* to avoid explosion.

Ok, to be really honest, I spent so much time working on the footnotes that I totally forgot what I was going to put here... yeah, another one To keep this at least semi-ontopic (and make up for the fact that no one seemed to notice the missing period 6.9 at the end of my last post), I'll just throw out this: ([]~[)({}[]'{}}{(}[[({)(}[)}([}{)}([}{[(}{)}][}[[(}{]}({)}([})[(}[}{}{})([}{}{)(

(sorry}

sorry, I lost countYeah, I'm slow69, sorry
8-something-square(Yeah, I've used this one before, but I like it)0Slow can be good or bad - normally I'd err on the side of caution, but either way could lead to extreme entendre
zeroIn theory, zero could be cardinally last, but cardinal leads to other topics that I'm really not going into.
technically the first one, but since the header had a footnote that nested a bit, this one is way down the lineHow'd you know I've been drinking37
3737 is a sacred number to me, and won't be punned in the footnotesvittsagen,
ja!Either embedding them in the footnotes as such has been extremely subtle, or I'm just that bad at it
5.9+1Don't ask
Last edited by Febrion on Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

balthasar_s

printf("sprintf(\"(ongoing\\\\.((png)|(htm))\\\\?f=0*%%lu)|(

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:17 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Mainly, they seem to be ignoring the fact that each is contained in quotes, thus rendering it unnecessary to close them. In most programming languages, characters enclosed within quotes are treated as strings and can contain anything within them, without breaking grammar rules.
Not if the string is a dynamic regexp.
This is an example from lmjbot. line 2 of related.awk:

Code: Select all

regexp=sprintf("(ongoing\\.((png)|(htm))\\?f=0*%lu)|(bftf-%04lu)",frame,frame)
Any unmatched parentheses in this will cause serious explosions and lmjbot would not like this.
Also, notice the double escaping.
Also, the "frame" variable is generated in a completely different place, in bot4.c and passed as a string:

sprintf(argp1,"frame=%hu",frame);
         sub=fork();
         if(!sub)
         {
            r=execl(MAWK_PATH,MAWK_PATH,"-f",AWK_RELATED,"-v",argp1,TEMPFILE2_PATH,(char *)0);
            exit(r);
         }
         waitpid(sub,&r,0);
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:35 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:This gif may be applicable to June Bug this newpage: Image.

Who, moi? *bats eyelashes innocently*

Well, it would be pretty dangerous on a roller coaster, and would probably get you thrown out of the park. :?

Yay, Dracomax! So good to see you!

Reminds me that we haven't seen Lu in quite a while. Hard to keep all our dragons around. It's like herding meowlpies.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Febrion

for ("}**:glob*[&$$11)\:+-uu&;)+*){"<!-&DROP_TABLE*[0=_]

Postby Febrion » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:40 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:<snip>
Also, notice the double escaping.
Also, the "frame" variable is generated in a completely different place, in bot4.c and passed as a string:
Spoiler:

sprintf(argp1,"frame=%hu",frame);
         sub=fork();
         if(!sub)
         {
            r=execl(MAWK_PATH,MAWK_PATH,"-f",AWK_RELATED,"-v",argp1,TEMPFILE2_PATH,(char *)0);
            exit(r);
         }
         waitpid(sub,&r,0);

Just had to add that I never felt more dirty that when I had to octuple-escape somthing (java code running through a jni layer to native C that then ran through a javascript app - had to embed paths as "C:\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\user\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\current\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"... ugly, and I'm sure I've learned enough since then to find a better workaround, but I'm almost hypnotized by the multiple backslashes to want to change them...)

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

ALSO, I CAN OTTCOLORISE YOU WITH MY WIP.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:58 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
azule wrote:What's "dead lions", Dracomax? Did you happen to mean roarpies? (I don't know what I'm doing. Molpification fail.)

Undead Giant Luckykin. Or possibly Large Zombie Raptorcats?

At any rate, they keep coming after me for not having finished things in a timely manner.

Guess I should report this to RAZOR. They're raptorcats rather than raptors, but they are undead.

Febrion wrote:
TheMinim wrote:

)))))

none of the abovewhat about missing footnotes?
see recursionwhat about footnotes that aren't referenced above?
or a note without a body
metaI forgot what goes here
non-sequitorAll these "sup" tags make me crave soup
ascii artCan't tell if those quoted parens in parens look like faces, or asses. I can never tell the difference IRL either (Zachary disease)

I so missed these.

Hi, Minim! Welcome back!

HES wrote:
micdi wrote:And that might really be difficult to smuggle in...

Just distract the guards with a nearby rendition of molpy molpy molpy.

(I'm assuming castle-themed rollerrafts have guards, right?)

Also, new WorkTA and I can post with it!

Woot!

Hi, Minim! Welcome back!

Fingers crossed for you, SBN.

Neil_Boekend wrote:Per the newly edited decree: drinking beer.

I'm down with that. Might also get you thrown out of the park, though. Maybe not in Germany, though.

balthasar_s wrote:This is an example from lmjbot. line 2 of related.awk:

regexp=sprintf("(ongoing\\.((png)|(htm))\\?f=0*%lu)|(bftf-%04lu)",frame,frame)
Any unmatched parentheses in this will cause serious explosions and lmjbot would not like this.

Please don't blow up lmjbot. :(

For decree--I can't come up with any good photo activities. Maybe hitting each other with thwapsticks? Firing little trebuchets? Release a raptorcat? No, the raptorcat might get hurt.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

mscha

Time Randomly Revisited - np1774

Postby mscha » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:00 pm UTC

WRONGFULLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:THIS IS YOUR BRAIN ON MUSTARDINESS

-- posted by randompixbot

balthasar_s

Re: ALSO, I CAN OTTCOLORISE YOU WITH MY WIP.

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:52 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Please don't blow up lmjbot. :(
I was talking about blowing up the ONG detector. don't do this.
But, everything looks better in front of an explosion. (the image is from StripField which is no longer online)
BSTA
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

lmjb1964

I MADE YOU A RAPTORCAT BUT I THWAPPED IT

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:21 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Please don't blow up lmjbot. :(
I was talking about blowing up the ONG detector. don't do this.
But, everything looks better in front of an explosion. (the image is from StripField which is no longer online)

Well, ok, I guess you can blow up something behind lmjbot. But not the ONG detector.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:48 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:("]")
(({}}}]{{{}}}[[][[]()))))))))(()()())((({{{[{}}]]]}
Read as: If you can't fix it, might as well make it worse! Ninja'd (or co-trouble-causing'd by Febrion).
Yes, closing unmatcheds are worse...unless you time travel.

Earthling on Mars wrote:Actually, I think the details would be too much if Time were a regular movie or book. We didn't really need to know about the brown and blotchy snake or the pricklymolp--they were completely irrelevant to the story. I'm not sure Time was so much about the the story, though, as about...time. Waiting for it. We just got a story along the way. And some molpies, which worked well to fill the waiting.
I kind of don't like when a story tells me something only because it's relevant. What is this: grade school? If there are not "irrelevant" things then how can I get a high from guessing which things were important to the story and which were just scenery (for fun)? (The full reversal to that being the macguffin where the stated, obviously important thing was a ruse all along and ... grr!)

As ucim says after your post, the details are usually a thing in movies but would be too much in a book. I think the details were here for the wait for it component of the project, where we not only had to figure out what the heck we were experiencing but then where the heck we were experiencing..and then when the heck...

ucim wrote:(Ironically, the GLR could have kept the story's pace slow without having to redraw much at all, since he got so much mileage out of reusing backgrounds and such).
When I was doing my composite story, reusing backgrounds didn't provide much relief when it came to: drawing the figures (I copy/hack-and-slash/pasted) and to the details of the story (what was going to be shown or written that would make this frame important). I'm sure GLR wasn't having too different of an experience. Probably best to ask SilentTimer, as xe had a more 1:1 experience.

lmjb1964 wrote:*bats eyelashes innocently*
Bat eyelashes sound neat, considering Halloween.

Febrion wrote:"C:\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\user\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\current\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
I'll backslash you good! *cough* Maybe if you weren't using Windows then you'd be using "slash" (or forward slash) and avoid that altogether.

balthacomic - funny strip!

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:55 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:Just had to add that I never felt more dirty that when I had to octuple-escape somthing (java code running through a jni layer to native C that then ran through a javascript app - had to embed paths as "C:\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\user\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\current\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"... ugly, and I'm sure I've learned enough since then to find a better workaround, but I'm almost hypnotized by the multiple backslashes to want to change them...)
You're not a real programmer until you've had to do this. :)

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:In most programming languages, characters enclosed within quotes are treated as strings...
I just recently learned something interesting about this...
Quoting with the Bourne Shell (note, there are a few typos in this document)
Normally, a space delineates arguments. To include a space in a filename, you must quote it. Another verb used in the UNIX documentations is "escape;" this typically refers to a single character. You "quote" a string, but "escape" a meta-character. In both cases, all special characters are treated as regular characters.
Escaping (putting a special special character in front of a special character to turn it into an ordinary character) and quoting (enclosing characters inside special special characters) are kind of the same. And as far as the Bourne Shell (a UNIX command interpreter - one of many) is concerned, quotes don't "enclose" anything. They toggle the interpreter.
There are other ways to do the same. Most people consider the quotation mark as something you place at the beginning and end of the string. A more accurate description of the quoting process is a switch, or toggle. The following variations are all equivalent:

rm 'file1 file2'
rm file1' 'file2
rm f'ile1 file'2

An "escape character" is just a toggle that dies right away.

Eternal Density wrote:
ucim wrote:So... it seems that the plan should be to go to that amusement park and do some indiscriminate ch*rping. Make the result into a chess set and hop on the ride. That way we wouldn't have to smuggle anything in!
I think that joke crosses a line.
Indiscriminate Ch*rping is the first cut of the VHF album "Crossing the Line".

Jose

SBN
Saved

Re: ALSO, I CAN OTTCOLORISE YOU WITH MY WIP.

Postby SBN » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:21 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
Fingers crossed for you, SBN.

Thanks. Working on getting a second interview set up now. But I really need to kill some invading micromolps before I'm out in public.

Some Ways to Time

balthasar_s

Re: I MADE YOU A RAPTORCAT BUT I THWAPPED IT

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:21 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Well, ok, I guess you can blow up something behind lmjbot. But not the ONG detector.

Everything looks redundant in front of a spoiler:
Spoiler:
lmjbotxpl.jpg
BSTA

HES

Postby HES » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:25 pm UTC

Second interview at the same WFFS, SBN, or a backup path?
He/Him/His Image

lmjb1964

MUSTARD LIKE A FLUTTERBEE, ONG LIKE A BEESNAKE

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:32 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Well, ok, I guess you can blow up something behind lmjbot. But not the ONG detector.

Everything looks redundant in front of a spoiler:
Spoiler:
lmjbotxpl.jpg

Wow, it's true! lmjbot looks even more amazing than usual!

Ah, I just remembered that I'm supposed to help lmjbot introduce herself. Ch*rp. I should really do that.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:40 pm UTC

HES wrote:Second interview at the same WFFS, SBN, or a backup path?

Same one, but in person (and not particularly close to where I currently live.) Current plan is to drive there tomorrow with MSWFP, MSW and SW, leaving LW home again. (Because he doesn't always play well with others.)

Some Ways to Time

Eternal Density

_ONG HARD 2: ONG HARDER_

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:01 pm UTC

Welcome back, everyone!

ucim wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
ucim wrote:So... it seems that the plan should be to go to that amusement park and do some indiscriminate ch*rping. Make the result into a chess set and hop on the ride. That way we wouldn't have to smuggle anything in!
I think that joke crosses a line.
Indiscriminate Ch*rping is the first cut of the VHF album "Crossing the Line".

Jose
The next cut was Extreme Blood Loss.

ETAD: find more photo activities.

Wearing masks of Time characters. As a photo activity, I mean.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

lmjb1964

BEESNAKE IS THE NEW WOWTERFALL

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:18 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:ETAD: find more photo activities.

Wearing masks of Time characters. As a photo activity, I mean.

That is so ch*rpingly obvious I don't know why no one thought of it before. Brilliant!

Alternatively, we could wear masks of Time characters. I pick Rosetta. I've already got the hair.

edit: fix quote

edit2: Maaaaaaahhhhh. (That's supposed to be a goat sound. Not sure if that comes across or not)

edit3: Yes, my response makes no sense. I realize that...now.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”