1442: "Chemistry"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mbossa

Re: 1442: "Chemistry"

Postby mbossa » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:01 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:6H2O + 6CO2 + radiation -> C6H12O6 + 6O2

Divide by O

6H2 + 6C2 + radiatin' -> C6H126 + 62

But division by O is undefined! :shock:

lessPoint

Postby lessPoint » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:28 pm UTC

Has anyone studied the polymeric properties of Mydrane, with the Hydrogens connecting to four Carbons?

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:42 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:Except Iodine is straight

Yeah, that's what it wants everyone to think, always hanging around in public with sodium and potassium, but I've totally seen it getting it on with another halogen.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:58 pm UTC

I will never think of the word "interhalogen" in the same way again.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

lessPoint

Postby lessPoint » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:10 pm UTC

mbossa wrote:
Quizatzhaderac wrote:6H2O + 6CO2 + radiation -> C6H12O6 + 6O2

Divide by O

6H2 + 6C2 + radiatin' -> C6H126 + 62

But division by O is undefined! :shock:

Division by 0 is undefined; division by O is a new realm of typographical chemical enquiry...

Himself

Postby Himself » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:36 pm UTC

Under sufficient pressure, though, couldn't oxygen link together with itself into chains? We have to consider the implications of elements with closed loops.
"Looking me am a civilization person"
-Ratio Tile

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:31 pm UTC

Black ICE wrote:good god, there's not even a renderable character for it. The Wikipedia article uses svg images instead of text.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biangbiang_noodles

But this one does: 𪚥 which means "verbose" How fitting.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

drachefly

Postby drachefly » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:55 pm UTC

Himself wrote:Under sufficient pressure, though, couldn't oxygen link together with itself into chains? We have to consider the implications of elements with closed loops.

So you could get interlocking oxygens? Hmm.

Now I'm envisioning charm-bracelet molecules of O linked to He, B, Ne, P, As, Os, Rh, Pt, Pu, etc. Probably not the polymer chemistry of life since the formation energies are too high. But, you might be able to mine it out of planetary cores.

You can also create closed loops with dicarbon, as noted in the comic. You'd stick the looped elements on one C and then close the loop, then add more dicarbon on the end to make chains.

JTL

Postby JTL » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:32 pm UTC

I was thinking the same thing about O, and then started imagining microscopic Christmas decorations...

The bigger question is do the acute angles of A, M, V, W, Z, etc, act as bonding points?
If so, what about right angles?

Also with Q, the internalised bonding point would surely be useful for industrial processes.

I created a quick bonding list with Arial, with number of hard angles listed.
I've noticed b, d, p and q exhibit uncertainty on their number of bonds until the element is observed, so can I assume some sort of quantum mechanics is at play?

1 - P(+1) e(+1)
1 or 2 - b(+1?) d(+1?) p(+0 or 1?) q(+0 or 1?)
2 - A(+1) C G(+2) I J L(+1) M(+3) N(+2) Q R(+1) S U V(+1) W(+3) Z(+2) a c g l s v(+1) w(+3) z(+2)
3 - E(+2) F(+1) T Y h i j n r u y
4 - H K X f k m t x
0 - B(+2) D(+2) O o

JTL

Postby JTL » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:14 pm UTC

Nearly forgot the numbers!
1 - 6, 9
2 - 1, 2(+1), 4(+2), 5(+1), 7(+1)
3 - 3
0 - 8, 0

I get the feeling punctuation is more like rarer/man-made elements on the bottom of the ic table.

edit - Sorry, I couldn't resist the US-centric pun

ThirdParty

Postby ThirdParty » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:17 pm UTC

Was I the only one who looked at this comic and felt a pang of regret over the abbreviations used in actual chemistry?

Imagine that Hydrogen were abbreviated "P", Carbon were abbreviated "X", Nitrogen were abbreviated "T", Oxygen were abbreviated "C", Fluorine were "G" (note that the inward-pointing line is not reactive), Helium were "O", and Beryllium were "R". Think how much more intuitive chemical diagrams would look. The abbreviations would be a pain to learn (unless we changed the names of the elements, too--Pydrogen, Xarbon, etc.) but once you learned them everything else would be more intuitive. Lower rows of the periodic table could be represented by the addition of lower-case letters, which would not form connections (for example, Xilicon would be "Xi" and would be shown in diagrams as an X with connections going off in four directions and a little unconnected "i" written beside it).

jpvlsmv

Postby jpvlsmv » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:22 pm UTC

And nobody's pointed out that there are two other stable hydrogen crystals?

Spoiler:
H
H
H
H
H
H
H
H, which I'll call a "Hydrogen Hanotube" and a 3D cube, which I'll call "Cubic Hirconium"

The only other element I can find that will create tesselating 3D crystals is Vanadium.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:32 pm UTC

ThirdParty wrote:Was I the only one who looked at this comic and felt a pang of regret over the abbreviations used in actual chemistry?

Imagine that Hydrogen were abbreviated "P", Carbon were abbreviated "X", Nitrogen were abbreviated "T", Oxygen were abbreviated "C", Fluorine were "G" (note that the inward-pointing line is not reactive), Helium were "O", and Beryllium were "R". Think how much more intuitive chemical diagrams would look. The abbreviations would be a pain to learn (unless we changed the names of the elements, too--Pydrogen, Xarbon, etc.) but once you learned them everything else would be more intuitive. Lower rows of the periodic table could be represented by the addition of lower-case letters, which would not form connections (for example, Xilicon would be "Xi" and would be shown in diagrams as an X with connections going off in four directions and a little unconnected "i" written beside it).

You're not by any chance the same person as CantWaitForEy are you? (S)he only ever posted once, but what a post! I've been using those names for the months (Ajuary, Bebuary, ...) ever since.

Anyway, plenty of chemical symbols don't match the names of the elements1 (W, Hg, Ag, Au, K, Na, ...), so there's a lot of learning that needs to be done anyway.

1I'm guessing this is true whatever language you're considering.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:43 pm UTC

ThirdParty wrote:Was I the only one who looked at this comic and felt a pang of regret over the abbreviations used in actual chemistry?
I think if we valued typography we'd make new symbols rather than use roman letters. We only have 26 letters to 118-ish elements, also we'd want to be able to tell at a glance if two elements are in the same group and different periods, or visa versa.

Also, how would we handle elements that form different numbers of bonds? For sulfur we'd need to cover HS- (1,-1), HS2 (2), S2O2 (3), SO3-2 (4,-2), SO2 (4), SO3 (5), SF6 (6).
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:17 pm UTC

[quote="orthogon"

Anyway, plenty of chemical symbols don't match the names of the elements1 (W, Hg, Ag, Au, K, Na, ...), so there's a lot of learning that needs to be done anyway.

[/quote]

To be fair, they match a name the elements have or had at some point in time in some language.
Wolfram
Hydrargyrum
Argentum
Aurum
Kalium
Natrium

and my favorite Cg : cellocgwium :oops:
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

EugeneStyles

Postby EugeneStyles » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:13 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:
Envelope Generator wrote:Does that character contain the entire recipe?
Spoiler:
Based on my total ignorance of Chinese topography, I"m going to guess the center column is the recipe, the two identical columns on the left and right are people eating it, the markings outside of those indicate the type of restaurant it's severed in, and that big L thingy indicates the province.

If the center column is the recipe, then based on my high-school Japanese level knowledge of Chinese typography (i.e. about as extensive as knowing Spanish based on reading Taco Bell menus)... I see the glyph for "speak" and "horse". So, obviously it's made out of Mr. Ed.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:38 pm UTC

You are correct (according to Wikipedia) and hilarious (according to me).

The craziest thing to me is that this appears to analogous to a cranberry morpheme, nothing is "biang" except "biang biang noodles", so one would never write that character once without writing it a second time and then writing "noodles".

The origin is ambiguous, but its seems within the realm of possibility that it's inventor deliberately set out to make a crazy looking character. So, basically Chinese Prince.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

EugeneStyles

Postby EugeneStyles » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:01 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:You are correct (according to Wikipedia) and hilarious (according to me).

The craziest thing to me is that this appears to analogous to a cranberry morpheme, nothing is "biang" except "biang biang noodles", so one would never write that character once without writing it a second time and then writing "noodles".

The origin is ambiguous, but its seems within the realm of possibility that it's inventor deliberately set out to make a crazy looking character. So, basically Chinese Prince.

After reading the wikipedia article, I guess the whole center is describing the sound the noodles make (either when cooked or when put on the plate or whenever) as the sound of a tiny horse, growing. (I mean that the sound is growing, but maybe the horse is growing too.) And then there's the symbol for heart, which is where you feel good after eating, a knife that you eat with, the moon because you eat them at night, and the roof over your head where you are eating and the road that runs along outside. Also the number 8 - either because it's good luck or because you should have 8 servings.

Yeah, I think definitely someone jammed together everything they could think of to describe noodles and made a ridiculous 58 stroke character, and then insisted you write it twice. What a jerk!

Also, thank you for introducing me to the term "cranberry morpheme".

karhell

Postby karhell » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:16 am UTC

EugeneStyles wrote:<snip>
After reading the wikipedia article, I guess the whole center is describing the sound the noodles make (either when cooked or when put on the plate or whenever) <snip>

If 'biang' is the sound of the noodles landing on the plate, I'm sure as hell not eating 'em!
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:02 pm UTC

karhell wrote:
EugeneStyles wrote:<snip>
After reading the wikipedia article, I guess the whole center is describing the sound the noodles make (either when cooked or when put on the plate or whenever) <snip>

If 'biang' is the sound of the noodles landing on the plate, I'm sure as hell not eating 'em!

True, but they hardly sold any when they called them "plop plop noodles".

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:23 am UTC

Chemistry & typography? What a wonderful world this can be!
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:15 pm UTC

How can an atom like He ever be stable? It probably splits to H and e at the slightest provocation.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:23 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:How can an atom like He ever be stable? It probably splits to H and e at the slightest provocation.

Theoreticians are working on the relationship between kerning and the strong force.

Klear

Postby Klear » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:33 pm UTC

I wonder if somewhere out there is a life based on cursive...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”