1448: "Question"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
mikrit
Posts: 402
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:13 pm UTC
Location: Sweden

1448: "Question"

Postby mikrit » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:37 am UTC

Image
Title text:
The universe long dead, Isaac surveyed the formless chaos. At last, he had arrived at an answer. 'I like you,' he declared to the void, 'but I don't LIKE like you.'

This is a reference to Isaac Asimov's short story "The Last Question".
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

User avatar
colonel_hack
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:50 am UTC

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby colonel_hack » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:50 am UTC

From the Asimov FAQ:

Q:There's this really neat story by Asimov, but I can't remember the title...
A:The story is probably "The Last Question".
...
There is a mathematical possibility that you're thinking of a story other than "The Last Question", but it's very slight. Asimov's own experience was that if someone couldn't remember the title of one of his stories (and especially if they weren't entirely sure if it was by him), then it was "The Last Question."

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5581
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:57 am UTC

http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html for anyone who wants to read it.

[edit]
Inspiration strikes.
Last edited by Eternal Density on Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
rhomboidal
Posts: 797
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:25 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:01 am UTC

"LET THERE BE LIKE!"

User avatar
mikrit
Posts: 402
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:13 pm UTC
Location: Sweden

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby mikrit » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:06 am UTC

After you have read "The Last Question", you can read Fredric Brown's even shorter story "Answer", http://www.roma1.infn.it/~anzel/answer.html . But read Asimov first.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

User avatar
Diadem
Posts: 5654
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby Diadem » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:57 am UTC

mikrit wrote:After you have read "The Last Question", you can read Fredric Brown's even shorter story "Answer", http://www.roma1.infn.it/~anzel/answer.html . But read Asimov first.

Also this homage to Asimov: The last-but-one question
Last edited by Diadem on Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5581
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:19 am UTC

Diadem wrote:
mikrit wrote:After you have read "The Last Question", you can read Fredric Brown's even shorter story "Answer", http://www.roma1.infn.it/~anzel/answer.html . But read Asimov first.

Also this homage to Asimov: The last-but-one question

Was that meant to be a url?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

aerion111
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:53 pm UTC

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby aerion111 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:52 am UTC

I believe I've read The Last Question before, but not the Answer one.

I was going to give a couple more links with the same general 'tone', but I appear to have misplaced my bookmarks - been a year or two since I've looked at them.

User avatar
Diadem
Posts: 5654
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby Diadem » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:25 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Was that meant to be a url?

It is an url. It has always been an url :)

thanks
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

User avatar
StClair
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:07 am UTC

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby StClair » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:38 am UTC

*fond sigh of remembrance*
Recognized it instantly. Thank you, Randall.

User avatar
tastony
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:38 pm UTC
Location: 16930km from the GLR

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby tastony » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:27 am UTC

Thanks Randall - that was lovely. I was wondering if this news prompted today's comic: http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksb ... than-nolan
I waited.

User avatar
Minstrel
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:07 pm UTC

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby Minstrel » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:27 pm UTC

tastony wrote:Thanks Randall - that was lovely. I was wondering if this news prompted today's comic: http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksb ... than-nolan


Wow. Hmmm. I still haven't seen Interstellar (something about the emotional/relationship aspects of the plot make me a bit afraid it'll ruin the hard sci-fi goodness), so I don't know much about Nolan, but if anything could pull off Foundation, it would be as a HBO series.

Geez, now I'm gonna have to spend the day wondering who would play Seldon, or the Mule. And the Empire spinoff. Actually, maybe skip Foundation and have a proper space opera based on Empire.

niky
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:34 am UTC

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby niky » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:29 pm UTC

rhomboidal wrote:"LET THERE BE LIKE!"


IF there was a like button on this website, this post, and the comic that inspired it, would get my wholehearted spamming approval.

*In other words, I would like and unlike both dozens of times in succession, as a symbolic gesture of liking them more than once.


-


I recall Asimov's "The Last Answer"... vaguely... been forever since I read it... it's a whole lot less cheery than "The Last Question", but it's a delicious tale in and of itself.

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 3079
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby orthogon » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:55 pm UTC

Wait, Asimov wrote Sci-fi, too?

(My parents had a copy of Lecherous Limerics, which I read thoroughly at a tender age. When I picked up the book again, many years later, they seemed rather objectionable: crude, misogynistic and thoroughly unreconstructed).
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

rmsgrey
Posts: 3633
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:39 pm UTC

rhomboidal wrote:"LET THERE BE LIKE!"


Let there be Ike!


orthogon wrote:Wait, Asimov wrote Sci-fi, too?

(My parents had a copy of Lecherous Limerics, which I read thoroughly at a tender age. When I picked up the book again, many years later, they seemed rather objectionable: crude, misogynistic and thoroughly unreconstructed).


His Guide to Science, while now 3 decades out of date (in the most recent edition - the original is a quarter-century older) is still the best overview I've read.

LambdaBeta
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:06 pm UTC

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby LambdaBeta » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:06 pm UTC

I have always loved the last question (I read it about 4 times a year), if you like that kind of moment that makes you think, there is (of course) a subreddit for it. I only found it last night, but its /r/frisson (I'll admit that I stayed up a tad too late contemplating the universe after a brief surveying of it).

The last question is in the top few hundred posts, and there are plenty other great ones that would interest the kind of people like us. A few individual xkcd comics have even made their way to the top few hundred. Just thought I would let you know. ;)

chris857
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:04 pm UTC

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby chris857 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:14 pm UTC

Also reminds of a short story by Ben Bova called "The Question" (included in New Frontiers).

User avatar
Shamino
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 2:02 pm UTC

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby Shamino » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:19 pm UTC

mikrit wrote:After you have read "The Last Question", you can read Fredric Brown's even shorter story "Answer", http://www.roma1.infn.it/~anzel/answer.html . But read Asimov first.
Thanks much for that link. I've heard this as a joke ("Is there a god?" "There is now"), but I never read the story you linked to.

User avatar
keithl
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:46 pm UTC

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby keithl » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:53 pm UTC

Isaac Asimov completed 100 books in his first 19 years of book writing, 100 books in his next 10, and 100 in his last 5. Had he lived another 4.9 years, he would have single-handedly completed the Encylopedia Galactica. Had he lived 5.0 more years, the solar system would be the center of a sphere of books expanding at the speed of light towards the stars, with only time dilation saving the universe from a fate worse than Lionel Fanthorpe.

User avatar
Neil_Boekend
Posts: 3220
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:35 am UTC
Location: Yes.

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:56 pm UTC

keithl wrote:Isaac Asimov completed 100 books in his first 19 years of book writing, 100 books in his next 10, and 100 in his last 5. Had he lived another 4.9 years, he would have single-handedly completed the Encylopedia Galactica. Had he lived 5.0 more years, the solar system would be the center of a sphere of books expanding at the speed of light towards the stars, with only time dilation saving the universe from a fate worse than Lionel Fanthorpe.

Let me guess, you're an economist? :P
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

User avatar
mikrit
Posts: 402
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:13 pm UTC
Location: Sweden

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby mikrit » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:09 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
keithl wrote:Isaac Asimov completed 100 books in his first 19 years of book writing, 100 books in his next 10, and 100 in his last 5. Had he lived another 4.9 years, he would have single-handedly completed the Encylopedia Galactica. Had he lived 5.0 more years, the solar system would be the center of a sphere of books expanding at the speed of light towards the stars, with only time dilation saving the universe from a fate worse than Lionel Fanthorpe.

Let me guess, you're an economist? :P

I thought that was a perfectly cromulent Randallian extrapolation.

I didn't know that his book production accelerated like that. I think his newer sci-fi books are much worse than the oldest ones, but I suppose that could be the effect of a constant amount of goodness written per year, but more and more diluted.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

rmsgrey
Posts: 3633
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:04 pm UTC

mikrit wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
keithl wrote:Isaac Asimov completed 100 books in his first 19 years of book writing, 100 books in his next 10, and 100 in his last 5. Had he lived another 4.9 years, he would have single-handedly completed the Encylopedia Galactica. Had he lived 5.0 more years, the solar system would be the center of a sphere of books expanding at the speed of light towards the stars, with only time dilation saving the universe from a fate worse than Lionel Fanthorpe.

Let me guess, you're an economist? :P

I thought that was a perfectly cromulent Randallian extrapolation.

I didn't know that his book production accelerated like that. I think his newer sci-fi books are much worse than the oldest ones, but I suppose that could be the effect of a constant amount of goodness written per year, but more and more diluted.


Personally, I'd take Foundation's Edge over the opening section of Foundation, which nearly put me off continuing with the series (after having started with Prelude). It's notable that, while Asimov's general output increased, his SF output decreased - he was increasingly prolific because he was broadening his scope, not because he was outputting more of the same - which suggests a limiting factor...

Anyway, I would be prepared to accept as a working hypothesis that Asimov's best SF output was in the magazines in the 40s and later collected into books.

User avatar
keithl
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:46 pm UTC

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby keithl » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:36 pm UTC

mikrit wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
keithl wrote:Isaac Asimov completed 100 books in his first 19 years of book writing, 100 books in his next 10, and 100 in his last 5. Had he lived another 4.9 years, he would have single-handedly completed the Encylopedia Galactica. Had he lived 5.0 more years, the solar system would be the center of a sphere of books expanding at the speed of light towards the stars, with only time dilation saving the universe from a fate worse than Lionel Fanthorpe.

Let me guess, you're an economist? :P

I thought that was a perfectly cromulent Randallian extrapolation.

Indeed. I presume TGLR and I both developed our penchants for absurd extrapolation from Asimov. In particular, Asimov extrapolated human population growth to the "speed of light sphere" in at least one of his essays [citation needed], though he did so as a serious argument against overpopulation, and for imposed limits. I was hoping someone else would notice the similarity and provide the cite.

Regards the "economist" epithet, pistols at dawn! :-) Actually, value can increase exponentially for a very long time, as value transitions from atoms to bits to the interactions between them. Like populations, and authorial output, there will be growth plateaus, usually due to artificial partitions: immigration/emigration limits, propertization of thought, ideological self-imprisonment. All such limits will be steamrollered by those who choose not to be bound by them, and draw power from self-liberation.

User avatar
Coyoty
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:56 pm UTC

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby Coyoty » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:34 pm UTC

tastony wrote:Thanks Randall - that was lovely. I was wondering if this news prompted today's comic: http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksb ... than-nolan


Argh. Now I'm going to have to read Foundation to compare it to the movies. After the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings. After Game of Thrones.

Ender's Game was not so encouraging.

User avatar
da Doctah
Posts: 985
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:27 am UTC

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby da Doctah » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:48 pm UTC

Minstrel wrote:Geez, now I'm gonna have to spend the day wondering who would play Seldon, or the Mule.

These days? Seth Rogen and Zach Galifianakis.

BakaToTheFuture
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:49 pm UTC

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby BakaToTheFuture » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:54 pm UTC

I read this story for the first time just last night. Is my life a strain in one of Randall's petri dishes?

User avatar
StClair
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:07 am UTC

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby StClair » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:27 am UTC

BakaToTheFuture wrote:I read this story for the first time just last night. Is my life a strain in one of Randall's petri dishes?


Perhaps you and I are merely living in a simulation, running on (an) AC...

User avatar
keithl
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:46 pm UTC

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby keithl » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:47 am UTC

mikrit wrote:I didn't know that his book production accelerated like that. I think his newer sci-fi books are much worse than the oldest ones, but I suppose that could be the effect of a constant amount of goodness written per year, but more and more diluted.
This is partly due to the series effect, related to Zeno's "paradox". For most SF sequel series, half the plot is in the first book, a quarter of the plot is in the second book, and eighth of the plot is in the third book, etc. I call such a series of books a Zeno. I usually avoid them; there are way too many good authors and ideas and books out there to get enmired in one author's wheel-spinning (but profitable) stall in one idea-poor story.

Story shuffle, where many character threads are thinsliced and shuffled into a novel (the slices mostly merging towards the end) is another modern conceit, perhaps reflecting the author's TV-addled attention span.

I used to read science fiction to experience the future beyond my own lifespan; now I can do better with my own imagination, a computer for simulations (I'm simulating a satellite orbit decay right now), and a liberal application of Kay's Law: the best way to predict the future is to invent it.

User avatar
Hwo Thumb
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:45 am UTC

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby Hwo Thumb » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:12 am UTC

I was so unbelievably thrilled when I got this joke. I just read this story a week or so ago.

What's that called when you are introduced to a concept or story and then start to see it, or references to it more often? (Not necessarily because it actually IS appearing more often)

niky
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:34 am UTC

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby niky » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:52 am UTC

orthogon wrote:Wait, Asimov wrote Sci-fi, too?

(My parents had a copy of Lecherous Limerics, which I read thoroughly at a tender age. When I picked up the book again, many years later, they seemed rather objectionable: crude, misogynistic and thoroughly unreconstructed).


He also wrote mysteries. Basically, I, Robot was a series of crime mysteries set in a future with... robots. I'd imagined them turning it into a CSI-style movie with mind-bending feats of detective work... but... alas... they turned it into a commercial for sneakers and Audis that just happened to feature the main character of the book in the supporting cast.

-

You should see his "Feghoots"... read this one decades ago, but it's stuck with me. Glad to see it's online for free:

http://www.bestlibraryspot.net/ScienceF ... 27456.html

Don't thank me. Your groans and silent facepalms are thanks enough.

BakaToTheFuture
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:49 pm UTC

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby BakaToTheFuture » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:36 am UTC

Hwo Thumb wrote:I was so unbelievably thrilled when I got this joke. I just read this story a week or so ago.

What's that called when you are introduced to a concept or story and then start to see it, or references to it more often? (Not necessarily because it actually IS appearing more often)


Wiki pegs it as the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon. For me, the initial introduction was less than 24 hours ago. :D

RogueCynic
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:23 pm UTC

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby RogueCynic » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:14 am UTC

Why worry about The last Question when we have The Ultimate Question?
Coyoty wrote:
tastony wrote:Thanks Randall - that was lovely. I was wondering if this news prompted today's comic: http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksb ... than-nolan


Argh. Now I'm going to have to read Foundation to compare it to the movies. After the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings. After Game of Thrones.

Ender's Game was not so encouraging.
You did not like Bender's Game?
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

User avatar
da Doctah
Posts: 985
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:27 am UTC

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby da Doctah » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:34 am UTC

niky wrote:Basically, I, Robot was a series of crime mysteries set in a future with... robots. I'd imagined them turning it into a CSI-style movie with mind-bending feats of detective work... but... alas... they turned it into a commercial for sneakers and Audis that just happened to feature the main character of the book in the supporting cast.


I had a very clear picture of Dr Susan Calvin in my mind from reading the stories, years before the movie was made. She looked like Dr Joyce Brothers. Not Bridget Moynahan.

User avatar
CapCouillon
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Offshore

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby CapCouillon » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:23 am UTC

Gotta love the classics.. Tks for the link to The Answer

Lest we forget, Clarke's '53 classic The Nine Billion Names Of God is still a goodie. And we just thought it was entropy...

niky
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:34 am UTC

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby niky » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:07 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:
niky wrote:Basically, I, Robot was a series of crime mysteries set in a future with... robots. I'd imagined them turning it into a CSI-style movie with mind-bending feats of detective work... but... alas... they turned it into a commercial for sneakers and Audis that just happened to feature the main character of the book in the supporting cast.


I had a very clear picture of Dr Susan Calvin in my mind from reading the stories, years before the movie was made. She looked like Dr Joyce Brothers. Not Bridget Moynahan.


I would have settled for Jodie Foster with glasses.

Since Candice Bergen was too old at that point for the role.

User avatar
candybrie4zo
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:00 pm UTC
Location: Maryland

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby candybrie4zo » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:56 pm UTC

niky wrote:
orthogon wrote:Wait, Asimov wrote Sci-fi, too?

(My parents had a copy of Lecherous Limerics, which I read thoroughly at a tender age. When I picked up the book again, many years later, they seemed rather objectionable: crude, misogynistic and thoroughly unreconstructed).


He also wrote mysteries. Basically, I, Robot was a series of crime mysteries set in a future with... robots. I'd imagined them turning it into a CSI-style movie with mind-bending feats of detective work... but... alas... they turned it into a commercial for sneakers and Audis that just happened to feature the main character of the book in the supporting cast.


You're mixing up stories. I, Robot was a series of short stories demonstrating some interesting effects of the Three Laws. Caves of Steel and it's sequels were the ones with the crime mysteries.

User avatar
mikrit
Posts: 402
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:13 pm UTC
Location: Sweden

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby mikrit » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:06 pm UTC

niky wrote:
da Doctah wrote:
niky wrote:Basically, I, Robot was a series of crime mysteries set in a future with... robots. I'd imagined them turning it into a CSI-style movie with mind-bending feats of detective work... but... alas... they turned it into a commercial for sneakers and Audis that just happened to feature the main character of the book in the supporting cast.


I had a very clear picture of Dr Susan Calvin in my mind from reading the stories, years before the movie was made. She looked like Dr Joyce Brothers. Not Bridget Moynahan.


I would have settled for Jodie Foster with glasses.

Since Candice Bergen was too old at that point for the role.

I really disliked seeing Dr. Susan Calvin as a young, pretty little minor character. All right, she was young and in love in Liar!, but after that unfortunate incident, I have imagined her as a middle-aged librarian type, with a piercing stare that says: "I am ten times smarter than you could ever hope to be". Supporting character? Bah!

Surely she would look like this, http://www.ozdw.com/couch/sketches/granny3.jpg , but perhaps twenty years younger.

The Mule, now. I think he looks (will look) like Sammy Davis, Jr.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10268
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby addams » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:14 pm UTC

This Thread is like an old sci-fi magazine.
Letters to the editor and all.

What a delight.
Keep the links coming.

Asimov, Clark and et. al.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
tastony
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:38 pm UTC
Location: 16930km from the GLR

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby tastony » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:29 pm UTC

For the Mule, I'm imaging Andy Serkis. Have just started re-reading the Foundation "trilogy", and when the Mule is first introduced, I could only think of him being played like "happy Smeagol"

Bayta - Olivia Munn!
I waited.

rmsgrey
Posts: 3633
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:13 am UTC

tastony wrote:For the Mule, I'm imaging Andy Serkis. Have just started re-reading the Foundation "trilogy", and when the Mule is first introduced, I could only think of him being played like "happy Smeagol"


Serkis looks disappointingly ordinary unless you CGI him. Peter Dinklage or Warwick Davis are better fits for the Mule's imposing stature...


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Old Bruce and 43 guests