1449: "Red Rover"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eternal Density

1449: "Red Rover"

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:14 am UTC

Title Text: I just learned about the Slide Mountain Ocean, which I like because it's three nouns that sound like they can't possibly all refer to the same thing.

Catastrophic Plate Tectonics! (Which fits the rhythm of TMNT...)
We weren't into Red Rover in my school days. Bull Rush was the big thing. And Crocodile Crocodile.
Last edited by Eternal Density on Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: 1448: Red Rover

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:19 am UTC

Is there a Duck Duck Goose version? I always liked that one better than Red Rover.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:17 am UTC

Not really, Duck Duck Goose is for taxonomists.

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:03 am UTC

Antarctica is playing an epic game of hide-and-seek during the ice ages.

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:17 am UTC

Is Red Rover anything like British Bulldog? I used to love playing that at school, until it was stamped out on safety grounds. :(
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Carteeg_Struve

Postby Carteeg_Struve » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:09 pm UTC

And here I thought it was a dodgeball incident.

Rossegacebes

Postby Rossegacebes » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:24 pm UTC

For readers of non-British heritage: Wikipedia Red_Rover.

The cartoon was just meaningless to me. Now I know.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:24 pm UTC

CharlieP wrote:Is Red Rover anything like British Bulldog? I used to love playing that at school, until it was stamped out on safety grounds. :(

Similar, and possibly descended from it - team A holds hands in a line and calls out a member of team B, who has to break the chain - if they do, one of the players on the sides of the broken link joins team B; if they can't break through, they join team A instead. Then team B calls out a member of team A and so on.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:05 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
CharlieP wrote:Is Red Rover anything like British Bulldog? I used to love playing that at school, until it was stamped out on safety grounds. :(

Similar, and possibly descended from it - team A holds hands in a line and calls out a member of team B, who has to break the chain - if they do, one of the players on the sides of the broken link joins team B; if they can't break through, they join team A instead. Then team B calls out a member of team A and so on.

I can still hear you saying, you would never break the chain. :twisted:
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:51 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Is there a Duck Duck Goose version? I always liked that one better than Red Rover.

If I say "Do you mean 'Duck, Duck, Grey Duck'?" does that reveal I'm from Minnesota?
Nothing could be more ill-judged than that intolerant spirit which has, at all times, characterized political parties. - A. Hamilton

alanbbent

Postby alanbbent » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:56 pm UTC

Here is what my thoughts were doing:

CharlieP wrote:Is Red Rover anything like British Bulldog?

Hmm, I don't know, I've never heard of British Bulldog.

I used to love playing that at school, until it was stamped out on safety grounds. :(

ok, then it's VERY POSSIBLY the same game.

Red Rover rarely ended with one team completely acquiring the other, as it's supposed to. It often ended with someone getting hurt and an adult telling us to play something else.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:01 pm UTC

It is a game where children run full speed at a group of other children who do their best to hold still.

What could go wrong?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:13 pm UTC

Keyman wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Is there a Duck Duck Goose version? I always liked that one better than Red Rover.

If I say "Do you mean 'Duck, Duck, Grey Duck'?" does that reveal I'm from Minnesota?

Yes, and I' m pretty sure it's not even all of Minnesota that calls it by the wrong name.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

keithl

Postby keithl » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:34 pm UTC

alanbbent wrote:Red Rover rarely ended with one team completely acquiring the other, as it's supposed to. It often ended with someone getting hurt and an adult telling us to play something else.
Ah! So the game is very much like India crashing into Asia, with recent border conflicts in Kashmir and Arunachal Pradesh demonstrating the continuing need for adult supervision, notably absent in international diplomacy, or indeed anywhere outside of school playgrounds.

Perhaps our first message to extraterrestrial intelligence will be "Not my fault! He did it first! I don' wanna! It's MINE! ..." The answer to the Fermi paradox, "where are they?", is "spending a quiet kilomillennium out of the galaxy, away from the noisy kids."

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:24 pm UTC

There was an old, old episode of 3-2-1 Contact (what we had for fun before Bill Nye came around, and from which The Bloodhound Gang got their name) that misidentified the first supercontinent as Gondwanaland instead of Pangea. I still think it sounds so much prettier and imposing than Pangea.

kalira

Postby kalira » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:56 pm UTC

Erm, unless Randall likes the number so much he chose it twice, this comic should be 1449, not 1448. Paging Eternal Density; Eternal Density to the front counter, please!

Keyman wrote:"Do you mean 'Duck, Duck, Grey Duck'?"

Grey Duck, Grey Duck, Grey Goose? I'd play that.

Reading Wiki on British Bulldogs, it sounds similar to other games I played as a kid, but I can see how Red Rover descended from it.
plytho wrote:Isn't bowling just a subcategory of pottery?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:05 pm UTC

kalira wrote:Erm, unless Randall likes the number so much he chose it twice, this comic should be 1449, not 1448. Paging Eternal Density; Eternal Density to the front counter, please!
Yeah, there's also no quotes in the thread title and the link is missing the 'h' in 'http'.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:06 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Keyman wrote:

Yes, and I' m pretty sure it's not even all of Minnesota that calls it by the wrong name.

Oh, my, no. Parts of North Dakota use the colorful version, as well. (And possibly parts of other states I didn't live in.)

Eternal Density

Re: 1449: "Red Rover"

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:19 pm UTC

I don't know now that happened, I thought I read the number off the comic page directly.
My apologies for the confusion.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:21 pm UTC

What's funny is that your link went to the correct number (it was just missing the 'h'), even though the number was wrong in the subject line.
---

(he/him/his)

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:21 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
kalira wrote:Erm, unless Randall likes the number so much he chose it twice, this comic should be 1449, not 1448. Paging Eternal Density; Eternal Density to the front counter, please!
Yeah, there's also no quotes in the thread title and the link is missing the 'h' in 'http'.

Ah, the good old Text Transfer Protocol. Those were the days...

ETA apropos of typos, this morning I entered my post code on a form with one hand in the wrong position on the leopard. It wasn't anything where I cared, but I expect I've caused someone a lifetime of junk mail in my name.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

mikrit

Re: 1449: Red Rover

Postby mikrit » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:04 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:ETA apropos of typos, this morning I entered my post code on a form with one hand in the wrong position on the leopard.

You what?

Sorry for screaming; I was imagining the scene at the post office would be like this: http://xkcd.com/499/
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

FrobozzWizard

Postby FrobozzWizard » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:42 pm UTC

I just have to say, "Slide Mountain Ocean" sounds like a great name for a bluegrass or old-timey band.

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:29 pm UTC

kalira wrote:
Keyman wrote:"Do you mean 'Duck, Duck, Grey Duck'?"

Grey Duck, Grey Duck, Grey Goose? I'd play that.

Duck, Cold Duck, Grey Goose?
Nothing could be more ill-judged than that intolerant spirit which has, at all times, characterized political parties. - A. Hamilton

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”