1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Alexxander Lord

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Alexxander Lord » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:29 pm UTC

I saw this thread when only pages existed in it. I saw time unfold, originally trying to understand what the comic meant, in the time of the quicpix (is that what they were called?) and then when the gong took an hour. Yes, I saw how the holy orders, the NUMEROUS holy orders of time were created. I was still here when BlitzGirl was starting her journey, and the idea of going through all the pages was a very vague idea. I never registred for an account, as i thought this would fade.
ITS BEEN MORE THAN A YEAR NOW. Holy macaroni guys, how is this thread still actively *daily*?

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

bftf-0535

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:00 pm UTC

DECREE: KEEP CALM AND MOLPY ONG -- ongomome
Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment.
-- posted by lmjbot

ergman

it sure DOEs

Postby ergman » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:17 pm UTC

MistyCat wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:What do you mean by POI?

I'd guess "Person of Interest," which I started watching because of Michael Emerson from "Lost."

MistyCat! hi! were you here already? hihi!

BlitzGirl wrote:Image

whoa. don't let China see that one. or you. or maybe you are China, only undercover?

thanks for pertaining to me, Neil. But hey, Holiday Hatvatars! now I have something to do!
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:19 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Good luck on the WFFS-search, yappo! :) Sounds like your Outside is being molpishly busy, which is of course much better than unmolpishly busy.

Thanks! Treeish holidip avatar ;)
HES wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:*Waterottermolpy food funding source

More realistically, a Waterottermolpy significant other's molpishness funding source ;)

Ehehehe... That might have something to do with it :P
Though it's mainly a WVSOMRFS (Waterottermolpy visiting significant other more regularly funding source).
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

ergman

And thus Erg learned the true meaning of OTTsmas

Postby ergman » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:37 pm UTC

there we go. A nice combination of my Banana Madness avatar with CD's Christmas hats, and some other stuff thrown in to boot.

it's really enjoyable making things for the OTT. I should do more of that.

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

karhell

Postby karhell » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:00 pm UTC

Baobabs ! That's some serious hattage, Ergman !
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:54 pm UTC

RELATED: Number 4 on this list. (Article is satirical, it is sadly not a real show :P)

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:11 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:Somebody needs to make Time: the television series.
Just think of how much advertising they could sell between the ONGs!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:13 pm UTC

I did take a few days off to not worry and feed molpies. (The squirrelpies seem absent these days. Maybe off figuring out where they buried their nutty confections?)

ucim wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Somebody needs to make Time: the television series.
Just think of how much advertising they could sell between the ONGs!

Jose

But who would watch a series with one (or maybe two) new frames per hourH?

HHeretical
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:19 pm UTC

bmonk wrote:But who would watch a series with one (or maybe two) new frames per hourH?
HHeretical

Your heresy is not limited to the ONG. Burning the stake at you is not sufficient atonement - we need to bring out the whole cow!

We shall burn the chocolate cow at you in the foam maiden. And then I shall taunt you a second time!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:26 pm UTC

ucim wrote:Your heresy is not limited to the ONG. Burning the stake at you is not sufficient atonement - we need to bring out the whole cow!

We shall burn the chocolate cow at you in the foam maiden. And then I shall taunt you a second time!

Jose

:shock:
As long as you don't burn the yellow pork! :lol:

ETA: Got tired of waiting for a suitable hatted avatar, so cobbled up one myself. . . .

Prolly from the House of Oinkmolpy?
Last edited by bmonk on Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Sustainabilizer

BicyclesAfterTime: bftf-0536

Postby Sustainabilizer » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:38 pm UTC

BEGGONG FOR …
Spoiler:

… ENHANCE!
Spoiler:
enhanced-bftf-0536.png
enhanced-bftf-0536.png (3.42 KiB) Viewed 11603 times
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Help for addams completed successfully. Thanks!

ergman

Re: BicyclesAfterTime: bftf-0536

Postby ergman » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:45 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:BEGGONG FOR …
Spoiler:

… ENHANCE!
Spoiler:
enhanced-bftf-0536.png

turning on the lights?

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:48 pm UTC

bmonk wrote:
ucim wrote:Your heresy is not limited to the ONG. Burning the stake at you is not sufficient atonement - we need to bring out the whole cow!

Jose

:shock:
As long as you don't burn the yellow pork! :lol:

Pork. The other yellow meat.

Jose

bmonk

Postby bmonk » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:52 pm UTC

Which brings me to question: What is the other other yellow meat?

More to addressing the topic: I think the lights were recently turned off, not ONG.

ETA:
Latent22 wrote:chirp Vulgar.
Usage note
For many people, the word chirp is extremely vulgar, considered improper and taboo in all of its senses. Yet various forms of the word, primarily in its nonliteral, slang senses, have increasingly crept into casual use, not only as spontaneous expletives of shock, horror, or anger, but also as verbal tics and common intensifiers, mere indices of annoyance or impatience or even pleasant surprise: Where are my chirping keys? What the chirp is taking so long? This is chirping awesome! Nevertheless, the term is best avoided altogether in “polite company.” The mass broadcast media have actually been forced by the threat of punitive fines to block audiences from hearing it, either by banning its use entirely or by bleeping all or part of the sound—if only by blocking out nothing more than the vowel sound in the middle.
Although its first known occurrence in writing dates from the late 1400s (disguised in a cipher at that), the word chirp was undoubtedly heard long before that, and it remains primarily a creature of the spoken language. Well into the 20th century, it was generally regarded as “unprintable,” and forms like c*** or ch--p or some spelling distortion like chack or cig or cork or chug were typically substituted for it in writing. In speech, creative euphemisms abound, some born with each new generation. We now have see and seeing as well as c-word and c-bomb, all of which allow us to discuss the term without resorting to its actual use.
Many commenters have noted that chirp is most commonly used--or at least heard--at night. At times, from an otherwise (apparently) empty, dark sky.

verb (used with object)
to have sexual intercourse with a bird.
Slang. to treat unfairly or harshly.

verb (used without object)
to have sexual intercourse with a bird.
Slang. to meddle (usually followed by around or with ).

FIFY

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:16 pm UTC

bmonk wrote:Which brings me to question: What is the other other yellow meat?

Chicken, of course.

Jose

bmonk

Postby bmonk » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:19 pm UTC

Of course. Having named it, it is obvious.

BTW, in mentioning temporal TV series, has anyone mentioned "As Time Goes By"?

ETA:
cellocgw wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Since this is my 1300th post, and I am allowed a naughty word:

CHIRP.

Okay, I feel much better now. :mrgreen:

Edit: Randamn it! WHY DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING TO ME?!

Because, in The Future, Blitzgirls is Pretty Cool.

Rumor has it that Blitzgirls is always pretty cool.
Last edited by bmonk on Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

REMAIN UNGLISH AND WAIT FOR BEANIES

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:26 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:RELATED: Number 4 on this list. (Article is satirical, it is sadly not a real show :P)

Heh, I opened the link, didn't look at it right away, then forgot the context. I was thinking, "There was a show with one 23-second-long episode?" But, the custard-mustard show is amazingly RELATED.

I got my new carcastle, which is treeish. Not treeish, however, is the fact that my boss has once again decided to micromanage me and find fault with everything I do. Time for a new MFFS, methinks.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

HES

Postby HES » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:01 pm UTC

Is the Rhythmic Thwapping your MFFS or just a Whilst Waiting For It Activity?
He/Him/His Image

lmjb1964

NOW IF YOU'LL EXCUSE ME, I HAVE MUSTARDISES TO THWAP

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:15 pm UTC

HES wrote:Is the Rhythmic Thwapping your MFFS or just a Whilst Waiting For It Activity?

First of all, thank you for Rhythmic Thwapping. I will try to work that in as many conversations as possible. And it's sort of an enhanced WWFIA. It brings in some income. Actually, it probably brings in enough to feed the meowlpy, and buy more tools for Rhythmic Thwapping, but not things like castle payments and carcastle fuel. Unfortunately.

I forgot to tell ergman I love the excessive hatting, and I love bmonk's hat as well. I wanted to make you a hat, but my haberdashery skills are lacking. You did it steakishly, however!

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

bmonk

Postby bmonk » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:27 pm UTC

I was hoping to affix an academic hood, but that was too ε and difficult. So I went for this hood, as a secondary choice.

εweird

yappobiscuits

Re: NOW IF YOU'LL EXCUSE ME, I HAVE MUSTARDISES TO THWAP

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:32 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
HES wrote:Is the Rhythmic Thwapping your MFFS or just a Whilst Waiting For It Activity?

First of all, thank you for Rhythmic Thwapping. I will try to work that in as many conversations as possible. And it's sort of an enhanced WWFIA. It brings in some income. Actually, it probably brings in enough to feed the meowlpy, and buy more tools for Rhythmic Thwapping, but not things like castle payments and carcastle fuel. Unfortunately.

Indeed, this is the same reason I seek a WFFS. Box-squeezing and string-twanging and other such noise-making occasionally bring in the odd Waterottermolpy Food Funds, but I really require something more reliable...

One of the WFFSes I've applied to and really hope I get is working in a shop that sells boxes to squeeze and strings to twang and noisy things like that.

lmjb1964

I SEE WHAT YOU MUSTARDED THERE

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:39 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:

Indeed, this is the same reason I seek a WFFS. Box-squeezing and string-twanging and other such noise-making occasionally bring in the odd Waterottermolpy Food Funds, but I really require something more reliable...

One of the WFFSes I've applied to and really hope I get is working in a shop that sells boxes to squeeze and strings to twang and noisy things like that.

Ooh, good luck with that! Would you get employee discounts? :)

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

micdi

Postby micdi » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:06 pm UTC

bmonk wrote:I was hoping to affix an academic hood, but that was too ε and difficult. So I went for this hood, as a secondary choice.

εweird

You know what this needle-pulled thing is lacking at this Time?
Buffyhats.
Blitzing the OTT (hibernating).
Sometimes flickering into the Present.

lmjb1964

INSTANT COMFY CHAIR, JUST ADD VITSSÅGAR

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:23 pm UTC

micdi wrote:
bmonk wrote:I was hoping to affix an academic hood, but that was too ε and difficult. So I went for this hood, as a secondary choice.

εweird

Buffyhats.

Sadly, that has been lacking for some Time. Well, new buffyhats. There are still plenty of previously-granted buffyhats in the OTT.

So far the storm has not been quite what was threatened, at least around here. We were hoping high winds would knock the power out at work, but no such luck. There is a bit of Zancleaness, however. I walked across campus to the ATM and got completely drenched. Had to change out of the pants I was wearing, which I had put on when the jeans I wore to work got drenched just walking into the office, and put the jeans back on. The jeans are not quite dry. Steambottle.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

ergman

did I get my haberdashery line correct?

Postby ergman » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:32 pm UTC

steambottle indeed. Your storm is likely the same culprit as my blizzard, which demanded sidewalk-shoveling twice so far. It also made school fairly depopulated and disorganized though, so that was nice.

While I of course miss BuffyGirl's expertise, I do kinda like how hatting could come from anyone now a days. It's a surprise! CD is the current official Heir to the haberdashery, but Hal9000 (previous heir) is back, so he might do some, and I am the Fairy hat mother apparently. And tons of others have done various avatar manips. Though if BuffyGirl were to return, the pressure would be off. (hint hint summon)

lmjb1964

I think you got it right.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:54 pm UTC

I guess you, CD and HAL are the hairs of the haberdashery line.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

bmonk

Re: I think you got it right.

Postby bmonk » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:47 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:I guess you, CD and HAL are the hairs of the haberdashery line.

OTTer hairs?

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0150

Postby SilentTimer » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:00 am UTC

... XE WASN'T THE MOST CH*RPUNG COMA IN THE AFTERWHEN -- automome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Redundant: Did you notice …
… the tree?
Spoiler:
mscha and slinches discovered it, and BlitzGirl identified it.
-- posted by SilentBot
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: I SEE WHAT YOU MUSTARDED THERE

Postby SBN » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:14 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:

Ooh, good luck with that! Would you get employee discounts? :)

Be careful with those. They can use up more of the funding than is intended.

I have happy wolpies today, I've been where my new WFFS is, so away from everymolpy here, but todip I drove back, so I can watch my daughter walk across a stage in a square hat.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Eternal Density

_BLINDPOST HARD 2: BLINDPOST HARDER_

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:06 am UTC

You know, I really appreciate the versatility of the word 'mustard', since it can be easily used in various noun, verb, adjective, and adverb forms.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:02 am UTC

SBN wrote:[T]odip I drove back, so I can watch my daughter walk across a stage in a square hat.

Treeish! Hats are always a molpish thing, of course.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Eternal Density

...XE WASN'T THE MOST HERETICAL GRAPEVINE IN THE AFOREWHEN

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:04 am UTC

New OtherComic http://xkcd.com/1459/
I wonder what's in my OTT folder...
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:22 am UTC

micdi wrote:

εweird

Buffyhats.

As junebug noted there are still a couple of Buffy Hats around. I vowed to take mine with every new avatar until the day I forget to so I have been happily obliged to take it with me.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Eternal Density

A SHIPCASTLE IS WEIRD. A QUACKMOLPY? NOT SO MUCH.

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:29 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
micdi wrote:

εweird

Buffyhats.

As junebug noted there are still a couple of Buffy Hats around. I vowed to take mine with every new avatar until the day I forget to so I have been happily obliged to take it with me.
I still have mine and the BlitzGirlPresentPresent version of it too! :D

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:38 am UTC

Did anyone link to the new What-If yet? It contains rivers2,3,10, semencancercoffeebaconcustardstarsandbabiesonice, and footnotesnested.
Clearly that's proof that GLR is reading this needle-pulled thing! [/nostalgia]

nested: redundancyredundant
redundant: redundancyredundant
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

lmjb1964

bftf-0537

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:00 am UTC

I'M DEVELOPONG A SYSTEM TO KETCHUP ARBITRARY CONDIMENTS. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
-- posted by lmjbot

mscha

Time Randomly Revisited - np2897

Postby mscha » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:00 am UTC

BINTURONG...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:THIS IS MUSTARDED. I CAN TELL BY THE RIDONDAKITI, AND FROM HAVING SEEN A LOT OF CAVEISHNESS IN MY DIP

-- posted by randompixbot

HES

Postby HES » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:26 am UTC

I walked half way across a stage with no hat last wip. It isn't the same :(
Last edited by HES on Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

Eternal Density

brought saws waste brown one time were about one

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:02 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:Did anyone link to the new What-If yet? It contains rivers2,3,10, semencancercoffeebaconcustardstarsandbabiesonice, and footnotesnested.
Clearly that's proof that GLR is reading this needle-pulled thing! [/nostalgia]

nested: redundancyredundant
redundant: redundancyredundant
I don't think so. I didn't know about it. Also I'm now trapped in redundant nested footnotes.
HES wrote:I walked half way across a stage wealth no hat last wip. It isn't the same :(
Weapon other no over some sequence cousin done someone spoken.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”