1470: "Kix"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

orthogon

Re: 1470: "Kix"

Postby orthogon » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:31 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:
orthogon wrote: (Also: we need words for the two camps: locomotionists vs spheroidists?)

That suggestion defines by two different discussions. Player locomotion vs. accessory locomotion and ball is a sphere vs. a prolate spheroid.

Oh yeah, good point. Well, I just meant my suggestion to get the ball rolling. (Oh god, I can't help it).
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:16 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
orthogon wrote: (Also: we need words for the two camps: locomotionists vs spheroidists?)

That suggestion defines by two different discussions. Player locomotion vs. accessory locomotion and ball is a sphere vs. a prolate spheroid.

Oh yeah, good point. Well, I just meant my suggestion to get the ball rolling. (Oh god, I can't help it).
Thanks for doing the footwork on this one.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

serutan

Postby serutan » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:53 am UTC

ucim wrote:
serutan wrote: And the original (1960s) advert : "Silly rabbit, Kix are for kids!".
Isn't it "...Trix are for kids"? The shoe thing seems a lot newer.

Jose

Yes. I blame old age.
For a sentient herbivore, discretion is the only part of valor. - Larry Niven

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:57 am UTC

serutan wrote:Yes. I blame old age.
I guess Trix aren't for you either. :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

PracticalM

Postby PracticalM » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:02 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
biohazard wrote:As some one who lives in the midwest I'll just state that corn takes much more water then wheat to grow I've got family in western kansas who farm and if you want to grow corn there you require irrigation yet wheat grows just fine if you let the field rest a year between crops and recoup moisture.

I will gladly bow to your greater knowledge, being almost entirely ignorant of such things and it being more than two decades since I took that course. There must have been some other reason why corn was a better crop to grow. I do remember that the invention of the wind pump was crucial, which confirms that they did have/need irrigation. There was a particular variety of corn, something like "Turkey Red", that was the first variety found to grow there, though Google and/or my memory has failed me.

ETA: Hopefully HES, who did the same GCSE course, will remember...

I always thought it was because it was easier to ship corn whiskey over the mountains (before the canals were built) instead of bulk grain.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey_Rebellion and apparently according to the link corn whiskey was used as currency.

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:07 am UTC

Flumble wrote:
CharlieP wrote:You mean the historically ignorant, not pedants. Moving the ball around mostly with the foot is the preserve of only one (main) code of football, which came up with its own set of rules in the 19th Century to make games between teams a lot easier than arguing over them before the game started. Before that, every (private) school had its own set of rules, and before that every town or village that played "football" on holy days/holidays. The name "football" came from the fact that these village folk played the game on foot, not having horses like the nobility (and trying to move the ball around by foot would have generally led to injury)...

[disputed]

Or maybe not disputed, but simply having two etymologies instead. We need a grand scale research to the etymology of "football" to gather all documents concering it and to decide whether it has one (and which one) etymology or whether it has multiple.

Fair enough. But what's not in dispute is that before the Football Association was founded in 1863, many Football Clubs already existed playing a rather different sport (e.g. Blackheath FC in London, Geelong FC in Australia), and Football of different kinds was being played in Ireland and in famous English schools. It was a version of the latter that started to be played in American and Canadian universities and which sowed the seed for two brand new (but similar) codes.

Arguments over the name are analogous to a large group of beef eaters and a larger group of pork eaters yelling at each other "that's not meat, this is meat!", while venison eaters like me get to be all condescending and superior in a vain attempt to explain why they're all both right and wrong at the same time...
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

The Moomin

Postby The Moomin » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:17 am UTC

So where do we stand on peanut hugging?
I'm alive because the cats are alive.
The cats are alive because I'm alive.
Specious.

yaPete

Postby yaPete » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:29 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
yaPete wrote:Shreddies (small square grid-like things, don't know if you have them under another name).

That sounds like Chex to me.

Something like these?

Not really. The structure might be similar if you put two or three of those on top of each other and then squashed them flat, but I think the texture and taste would still be different.

Shreddies:

A few people, possibly those with a military background, use "shreddies" as a term for men's underwear. My dad certainly does - he would never say "underwear" or "pants" or "boxers", always "shreddies". Apparently the old military-issue underwear (pretty sure they haven't issued underwear for decades now) used to have a grid texture to the fabric which looked a bit like the breakfast cereal...

Pete

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:11 pm UTC

That definitely looks like Wheat Chex to me. (Pfhorrest's pic looks like Corn Chex, FYI - wheat is more tan/brown, corn is yellower, and rice is paler.)
Spoiler:
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:28 pm UTC

But Chex are hollow. yaPete is saying these have layers inside, right?
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Eshru

Postby Eshru » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:20 am UTC

chalkie wrote:Is kixtart a portmanteau of Kix and pop-tart ?

(Do they have pop-tarts in the USA?)

In many regions of the U.S. pop-tarts are acceptable as a secondary form of currency.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:28 am UTC

Notably among seven-year-olds.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eshru

Postby Eshru » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:32 am UTC

Yes, I should have said schools not regions.

Give that I've seen pop-tarts in the us section of international isles, I'd say it's a safe bet that we are familiar with them.

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:57 pm UTC

For us, the normal flavours (strawberry and chocolate) are in the cereal aisle and all the weird ones are confined to the American section of larger stores.
He/Him/His Image

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:24 pm UTC

There was a big controversy about Pop Tarts 15 or so years ago. I can't remember whether it was more to do with the negligible nutritional value, their symbolic representation of poor parenting or the potential for 3rd degree burns to the mouth. I'm sure there was a fair amount of class snobbery mixed in there. I believe they were eventually replaced by Turkey Twizzlers as the culinary bogeyman.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:51 pm UTC

You can villainize anything. Why not soup as the 3rd degree burner?

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:42 pm UTC

azule wrote:Why not soup as the 3rd degree burner?

The problem with pop tarts is that the outside may have cooled down, but the inside is still unexpectedly hot
He/Him/His Image

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:39 pm UTC

HES wrote:
azule wrote:Why not soup as the 3rd degree burner?

The problem with pop tarts is that the outside may have cooled down, but the inside is still unexpectedly hot

This is true for nearly all warm snacks with a liquid stuffing.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:38 am UTC

Klear wrote:
CharlieP wrote:I like to think I don't pay any attention to TV adverts, but I'm sure there was one last night for Kinder chocolate with a very similar slogan.

<Googles>

However, being neither a kid nor a mum, I think I can resist.

I tried to fit the things from the comic into this one and got "Invented for kids, fucked by mums".

Almost.
Flip them.
Spoiler:
Fucking mums invents kids.

That has nothing to do with cereal.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:05 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:
HES wrote:The problem with pop tarts is that the outside may have cooled down, but the inside is still unexpectedly hot

Yes, but... I don't think there is anything else that fits that definition that is commonly consumed in America. (Other than other-brand versions of Pop Tarts, such as "Toaster Strudels".)
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

david.windsor

Postby david.windsor » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:03 pm UTC

JeromeWest wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:What's a Kix??

Silly rabbit - Kix are for trids.

Silly Rabbit - Trix are for prostitutes
"All those ... moments, will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain."

kalira

Postby kalira » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:10 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
HES wrote:The problem with pop tarts is that the outside may have cooled down, but the inside is still unexpectedly hot

Yes, but... I don't think there is anything else that fits that definition that is commonly consumed in America. (Other than other-brand versions of Pop Tarts, such as "Toaster Strudels".)

Really? I can think of at least two other types of thing, both of which I've heard that description (cooled on the outside, liquid hot magma on the inside) appended to: Pizza Rolls and Hot Pockets. Granted, Pizza Rolls are smaller and have a larger surface area to filling volume ratio, so it's a problem for a smaller amount of time with them, but Hot Pockets... They are dangerous beasts.
plytho wrote:Isn't bowling just a subcategory of pottery?

david.windsor

Postby david.windsor » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:10 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
biohazard wrote:As some one who lives in the midwest I'll just state that corn takes much more water then wheat to grow I've got family in western kansas who farm and if you want to grow corn there you require irrigation yet wheat grows just fine if you let the field rest a year between crops and recoup moisture.

I will gladly bow to your greater knowledge, being almost entirely ignorant of such things and it being more than two decades since I took that course. There must have been some other reason why corn was a better crop to grow. I do remember that the invention of the wind pump was crucial, which confirms that they did have/need irrigation. There was a particular variety of corn, something like "Turkey Red", that was the first variety found to grow there, though Google and/or my memory has failed me.

ETA: Hopefully HES, who did the same GCSE course, will remember...

IIRC if you plant corn with beans and squash they use the soil more effectivly and support each other, beans climb the corn stalks, and both shade the squash.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:23 pm UTC

kalira wrote:
mathmannix wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:

Really? I can think of at least two other types of thing, both of which I've heard that description (cooled on the outside, liquid hot magma on the inside) appended to: Pizza Rolls and Hot Pockets. Granted, Pizza Rolls are smaller and have a larger surface area to filling volume ratio, so it's a problem for a smaller amount of time with them, but Hot Pockets... They are dangerous beasts.

Seasonally: mince pies. Particularly bad when microwave ovens were becoming popular - it's a magical device that heats the filling while ignoring the insulating pastry crust, so the first warning you get is when you bite in and get stuff hotter than boiling water squirted over the roof of your mouth, where it clings...

david.windsor

Postby david.windsor » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:46 pm UTC

kalira wrote:
mathmannix wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:

I remember reading a study on pizza temperature, broken down by layer (I want to know what they wrote get a research grant for this) and the tomato sauce layer cooled the slowest.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:11 pm UTC

There's also all the heat capacity / conduction / surface area stuff to ensure that scorching hot bread will never do as much damage as scorching hot tomato paste.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:50 am UTC

What about chocolate soufflés, Chinese bean paste filled buns, roasted marshmallows, or deep fried chocolate bars? Do they eat those in the USA?

In the Netherlands we have these, but they're probably typically Dutch.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:34 am UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:What about chocolate soufflés, Chinese bean paste filled buns, roasted marshmallows, or deep fried chocolate bars? Do they eat those in the USA?

Just referring to the "Midwest" portion of the USA, in order: rarely, infrequently, constantly (also s'mores, for even better-contained marshmallow magma... you can also get smore flavor pop tarts, to loop back to where we started), and annually (at the state fair).
In the Netherlands we have these, but they're probably typically Dutch.

We do something like that; bite size as cheese curds.

I think our most dangerous version of death by cheese is the Juicy Lucy.

Krealr

Postby Krealr » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:19 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:... or deep fried chocolate bars? Do they eat those in the USA?

If something can be deep fried it is eaten in the USA at county fairs. (You can actually get deep fried butter on a stick at some places...)

EDIT:

Some examples...

http://kitchenette.jezebel.com/the-most-ridiculous-deep-fried-foods-from-state-fairs-a-1572769682

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:14 pm UTC

Krealr wrote:If something can be deep fried it is eaten in the USA at county fairs. (You can actually get deep fried butter on a stick at some places...)

I have eaten deep fried (tempura) ice cream at one sushi restaurant in San Francisco... and it wasn't bad.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:17 am UTC

They deep fry things at a place where they won't cook your fish?

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:24 am UTC

They cook some of the fish.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:47 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote: Particularly bad when microwave ovens were becoming popular - it's a magical device that heats the filling while ignoring the insulating pastry crust, so the first warning you get is when you bite in and get stuff hotter than boiling water squirted over the roof of your mouth, where it clings...

When microwave cookers were becoming popular we had a few esophagus burns.

Teenagers.
They will compete for food when they have More than enough.
The bell rings, they both lunge for the door.

The winner drinks the hot liquid, before her brother can take it.
The liquid is still boiling. Those hydrogen are still spinning.

Poor kid.
Don't do that.

Those heal in three to five days, just like roof of mouth burns do.
Have you ever lost the top layer of skin of the roof of your mouth?

A burn like that on any other part of the body would be Bad.
We eat that stuff and keep going. We are a tough species.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”