1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:33 pm UTC

Still doodling a bit on xkcloud...

Redundant:
Spoiler:

TheRedditRealizedHedNeverWantedItToBeThisWay.png

Keywords: BGUM xkcloud cueball grapes grapevine running tightrope earless reddit bot sad
MyTastesAreVerySingular.png

Edit:
Whoops, didn't realize I was mome again.
Optional decree:
Grapevine grapevine!
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

bftf-0776

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:00 pm UTC

I WAITED HALF A WIP FOR ONE PONGOATIMATE ZANCLEAN FLOOD. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment ...again.
-- posted by lmjbot

ggh

Re: ALL HAIL HIS PYNKNESS, THE GHOST OF MADNESSEN AFOREWHEN

Postby ggh » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:09 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:The pinkmagenta text was added by a Mod.

Although "magenta" is a suitable name for that colour, "pink" is a much better match, according to the results of the massive xkcd colour survey, published at http://blog.xkcd.com/2010/05/03/color-survey-results   Using its data, my nearest-color-name script searches for matches to a given colour. As you'll know from reading that blag, the survey presented test subjects with random RGB colours and asked them to name each one. Based on millions of responses, each colour name can be assigned to the RGB value that is an average (by hillclimbing or geometric mean, see this page) of the RGB values that elicited that particular name in responses. Each name also has a popularity rating, i.e. a count of how many times that name was given.
  My script ranks its answers in order of increasing nearness and decreasing popularity. It rates the nearness of a match using a perceptual distance function that accounts for the fact that the eye sees the green component with greatest fidelity and the blue component with least fidelity. The results for FF00BF are:

Code: Select all

$ nearest-color-name ff00bf
 RGB values: (255, 0, 191)
  ... matches "purple" (#7e1e9c) to within 83.67 (pop 379175)
  ... matches "red" (#e50000) to within 59.39 (pop 154753)
  ... matches "magenta" (#c20078) to within 42.35 (pop 70751)
  ... matches "hot pink" (#ff028d) to within 15.13 (pop 23274)
  ... matches "bright pink" (#fe01b1) to within  4.36 (pop 6017)
 The closest match to (255, 0, 191) is "bright pink" (#fe01b1)

magenta, a name that was given to 70751 colours centered at C20078, has a perceptual distance of 42.35 units away from FF00BF. This is not much better than red, whose distance from FF00BF is 59.39. But the name hot pink, used in 23274 responses for colours centered at FF028D, has a distance of only 15.13. An even better match is the rarer name bright pink, which was given in only 6017 survey answers but was centered at FE01B1, a mere 4.36 units away from FF00BF. You can see all these in the top 954 colours table; note how well hot pink (row 7, left end) and bright pink (row 13, right end) resemble the colour of @Neil_Boekend's username.

— mrob27 Image

Gee, I don't have time to ketchup for the next two days, but I need to chime in on this while it's still relevant because I like when people talk about color. :)

What an awesomeful script! I'm a bit suspicious of your perceptual distance function though: while blue contributes far less to our perception of luminance than green, perception of hue is another kettle of fish, and the cultural component plays a big part.
Hmm. Not sure that I'm phrasing that well. Okay, an example: iirc, they did a test where there was a patch of color, and then the subject had to select which of two other color patches matched it. As you can imagine, if the first patch was red, and the choices were a red and a yellow patch, the selection was made pretty quickly, but where the colors were almost identical, it took longer. It turned out that folks were better at choosing the match if the choices straddled the blue/green border, than if they were further apart hue-wise, but both shades of green.
Apparently Russians have different words for light and dark blue, and where the choices straddled that boundary, Russian speakers outperformed English speakers.
Later experiments that looked at brain activity confirmed that the language centers were assisting in the decision making. There was some other test I recall only vaguely, that showed that the language centers contributed more when the colors were the major ones - the reds and yellows, as opposed to oatmeal heather and the like.

Anyways, sorry for babbling. I just love seeing treeish colour stuff like your script, but then I tend to rattle on a bit....

Can't wait to get the chance to have a nice relaxed ketchup and do that crOTTsword puzzle!
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

mscha

Time Revisited - np355

Postby mscha » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:10 pm UTC

GUNGELIS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:THANKS, WHEELSTICKS. THEELSTICKS.

-- posted by oldpixbot

mrob27

MY LAPLEOPARD BRINGS ALL THE COLPICES TO THE YARD

Postby mrob27 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:54 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
mrob_27 wrote: [...] Using its data, my nearest-color-name script searches for matches to a given colour. [...] It rates the nearness of a match using a perceptual distance function that accounts for the fact that the eye sees the green component with greatest fidelity and the blue component with least fidelity. [...]

What an awesomeful script! I'm a bit suspicious of your perceptual distance function though: while blue contributes far less to our perception of luminance than green, perception of hue is another kettle of fish, and the cultural component plays a big part. [...]
  Later experiments that looked at brain activity confirmed that the language centers were assisting in the decision making. [...]

This is part of the reason that my script is free software! You'll find my luminance-biased perceptual distance function in the middle of scan1:

$r = ($g_target_r - $r) * 0.6;
      $g = $g_target_g - $g;
      $b = ($g_target_b - $b) * 0.3;
      $dist = sqrt($r*$r + $g*$g + $b*$b);

Improve it, provide a link to the relevant research, and I'll put your improved version in my script (possibly selected by a command-line option).
  Also, I'll point out that the colour names themselves are culturally biased by whatever demographic bias exists in the xkcd colour survey data. I suspect "United States" is the main nationality involved, and that most of the rest were English-speaking. So if we're going to use results that are thought to apply more strongly to speakers of another language, that would have to be a non-default option.

— mrob27 Image

(Edit: It looks like I found a usable and fairly well-accepted distance function:
Sharma, Gaurav; Wu, Wencheng; Dalal, Edul N. (2005). The CIEDE2000 color-difference formula: Implementation notes, supplementary test data, and mathematical observations. Color Research & Applications (Wiley Interscience) 30 (1): 21–30. doi:10.1002/col.20070.
 http://www.ece.rochester.edu/~gsharma/ciede2000/ciede2000noteCRNA.pdf )
Last edited by mrob27 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:07 pm UTC

Happy 8000 posts, BlitzGirl!

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:18 pm UTC

Thank you for the cake, ZoomanSP! Yummy!

ggh wrote:Can't wait to get the chance to have a nice relaxed ketchup and do that crOTTsword puzzle!

Newword? I like it. :)
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0828

Postby SilentTimer » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:00 am UTC

BE VEWY VEWY NEAT, I'M BWITZUNG BAGS -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the squirpy?
Spoiler:
It's on the ground, leaving to the left.
… the dusk?
-- posted by SilentBot Image
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

Help addams!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:23 am UTC

"Bwitzing" is fun to say, ongomome. :)
I got mesmerized by mrob's Time travel TARDIS smiley recently so I had to draw this:

Redundant:
Spoiler:

Weeeee.png

Keywords: weeeee mrob time ripple portal travel lightning newpixbot mount binary bot

PicturesFromMyTripToMountBinary.png
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

balthasar_s

bOTTeriada goes ONG

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:11 am UTC

the mrONGbdex story continues.

"Fine," said Balthacarius. "But what if they ask for blackhat hacking? Such things happen."
   "True, they could demand botnets, even gray goo," Mrorl agreed. "We'll simply refuse."
   "And if they insist, and threaten us?" returned Balthacarius. "This too can happen."
   "Let's see," said Mrorl, opening up a browser. The pastpages of several popular threads were littered with takedown notices, deleted posts, and timestamp gaps when evidently the entire planet's network had gone Skynet. Mrorl turned away from the screen in disgust.
   "I have an idea," said Balthacarius, switching it off. "We can use the Gontalmannas Effect. What do you think?"
   "Ah, the 'Botnet' of Gontalmannas!" exclaimed Mrorl. "I never heard of it actually being put into practise... but there's always a first time. Yes, why not?"

-- posted by mrImagebdexbot

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0829

Postby SilentTimer » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:00 am UTC

SUP DE PINKLYMOLP, I HERD U DIDN'T LIEK HOTDOGGUNG, BUT I ACCIDENTALLY IN YOUR SCRUMPTIOUS DONUT. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… what Ms. Frizzle is doing?
Spoiler:
She's understood the meaning of Megan's “good night” and returns the farewell by imitating it.
(The underlying Beanish also means “good night”, in this context.)

Help addams!

mrob27

THERE'S NO E**ISHNESS IN NEWPIXIA

Postby mrob27 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:45 am UTC

Image Zowie, I've been Blitz-Xkc-Loud-Draw-Ceptionized! Image

balthasar_s

bftf-0777

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:19 am UTC

I'M GOING TO SCHIZOBLITZ THIS OTTERONG, AND BY 'SCHIZOBLITZ' I MEAN 'WAIT FOR', AND BY 'THIS OTTERONG' I MEAN 'MOLPISHNESS'. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
-- posted by bothasar_p

mscha

Time Revisited - np366

Postby mscha » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:10 am UTC

WATTLUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: **D AMTOO

-- posted by oldpixbot

mrob27

IF MRORL_S IS WRONG, I DON'T WANT TO BE RIGHT

Postby mrob27 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:30 am UTC

Oh hey, I haven't yet posted the nicely-formatted version of our latest bOTTeriada story … Let's see… okay, here we go:

Mrorl's Machine

~ ~-~ ~-~-~-~ ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~ ~-~-~-~ ~-~ ~

A Thorough Pelting

One dip whilst hard at work Balthacarius heard a knock at his door. He answered: it was a pot-bellied bot on six wheels.
  "Hello. What kind of machine would you be?" he asked suspiciously, recognising its azure highlights, a signature of Mrorl.
  "I am a Bot to Grant One's Every Wish," it cheerily replied, "and have been sent to you, great bOTTifactor Balthacarius, by your good friend Mrorl the Magnificent, as a gift!"
Spoiler:
  "A gift… Hmmm." replied Balthacarius, whose feelings for Mrorl were somewhat mixed. He was not too pleased with the bot's phrase Mrorl the Magnificent, unless perhaps it was ironic commentary on the overly dangerous side-effects of Mrorl's constructions. But Balthacarius felt better about this machine. It was, at least, of a manageable size, and made no promise to change the laws of physics. "All right, you may enter."
  Balthacarius gave the visitor a spot where it could wait in the corner of his workshop and returned to his work, a four-wheeled pot-bellied bot that was nearly complete. In fact it only needed to be painted and polished, and Balthacarius intended to use his favourite palette, #5. He was very proud of the colours that he (with some help from Mrorl) had managed to retro-edit into the history of spaaace-Time, and his prime-numbered palettes (in particular, #2, #5 and #7) were famous the world over. After a while the Bot to Grant One's Every Wish whirred a bit and tried to get Balthacarius' attention.
  "I'm still here!"
  "Yes, I know," replied Balthacarius, and continued working. A while later the bot fidgeted a bit and asked:
  "What is that you're making, there?"
  Annoyed, Balthacarius replied "Apparently, I am building a machine to make you ask questions!" The bot gazed down, dejected, until Balthacarius added, "But I need another medium-brown marker."
  The bot cheered up immediately. "Here is one in #bb6622, I hope it's the right shade," it said as a little door opened in its side and out popped the requested item. Balthacarius took it without word and began the cross-hatch shading on one end of his creation's plastron. In the next few hours he needed sandpaper, three matched silicon-carbide diodes, a rotary ratchlezor, blue ink (#0057af), and a single #7 lock washer, all of which the bot provided on the spot. In the evening Balthacarius draped a cover over his work, made dinner, then sat down next to the bot and said:
  "Now let's see what you can really do. You say you can grant my every wish . . . ?"
  "Well, mostly." the modest bot replied. "The bits I supplied today were up to your standards, I hope?"
  "Oh yes, quite satisfactory," replied Balthacarius. "But I have something in mind that goes a bit past number 7 lock-washers. If you cannot grant this wish, I'll send you back to your maker with gratitude and a professional critique."
  "All right," the bot replied a bit hesitantly, "what is this wish?"
  "I want a Mrorl," said Balthacarius. "I want a full-size, fully-functional Mrorl, rendered down to the finest precision, such that a reasonable observer could not distinguish it from the original Mrorl — within the limits allowed by quantum mechanics, of course."
  The Bot to Grant One's Every Wish wiggled nervously, muttered and beeped a bit, and then finally replied:
  "All right, I can make you a Mrorl. But please treat him with care — he is, after all, a truly Magnificant bOTTifactor."
  "Oh, but of course! You needn't worry about that," said Balthacarius. After a brief pause he added, "… so, uh, where is it?"
  "What, you mean right now?" the addled bot replied. "This isn't just another #bb6622 marker, you know. Granting a wish of such intricacy takes Time."
  But in fact it wasn't too long before the machine whirred, a large panel in its front slid open, and a full-sized, fully functional Mrorl climbed out. Balthacarius looked it up and down, circled it once or twice, examined its rivets closely, posed a few basic arithmetical and philosophical queries, and eventually had no doubt: this was a Mrorl as much like the original as two 28Si atoms in a sandcastle. This Mrorl seemed to be a bit unsteady on its legs but otherwise behaved in a perfectly Mrorlish fashion.
  "Hello, Mrorl!" said Balthacarius.
  "Where am I?" the mimic-Mrorl blinked. "Hello Balthacarius…. is this? — How did I end up in your workshop?"
  "I brought you here with my Omnichronic-Spatio-Gravitic Substantiabiliser!" lied Balthacarius proudly, pointing a thumb back at his covered, just-completed work coloured in #bb6622 and #0057af. "You know, I haven't seen you in ages. How do you like my place?"
  "Fine, fine…" Mrorl glanced over at the canvas-draped shape, its four wheels barely visible. "An OSGS, you say? And it brought me here? That's quite impressive. For any lesser bOTTifactor, I'd say that would be a Barely Feasible Technological Feat. But in the hands of the Brilliant Balthacarius, of course, it would be all in a day's work."
  "Why thank you, Mrorl. Wouldn't you like to see my new workshops?"
  "Uh, well, I really ought to be going. You know, I'm working on several new machines of my own, I'd like to get back to them before dark…"
  "Don't rush off, you just got here!" protested Balthacarius. "And you haven't seen my newest workshop, in the Basement."
  "The Basement?"
  "Yes, I think you'll find it most enlightening. This way —"
  And Balthacarius led Mrorl firmly over to the door to the Basement, which he opened, then gave a little push so Mrorl had no choice but to stumble down the stairs (which were, at least, adequately lit). At the bottom Balthacarius promptly set Mrorl down in a large comfy chair that had apparently been set up for some very specific purpose, as it was equipped with straps, ropes, cables, brackets of all shapes and sizes, chains, and large superconducting magnets linked to a nearby control panel by supercooled conduits wreathed in whiffs of cool white vapour. Balthacarius flipped a little switch and three magnets activated, rendering the metal Mrorl motionless.
  "This, you see, is how we handle heresy!" Balthacarius exclaimed, in a disturbingly justified tone, as he walked over to a small battery of guns mounted on a revolving turret. These he fired, as Mrorl flinched (but otherwise did not move, due to the magnets). Presently, a multi-coloured blur of little pellets shot out of the guns and hit Mrorl squarely on the chest.
  "Hey! What is this? Why are you pelting me?" yelled Mrorl.
  "Heresy!" (perhaps even more justifiably than before), "… like I said. Do you remember the Cognitative Engine that you created? That tragic madbot who chased us across the kingdom and trapped us in a cave?"
  "How could I forget," replied Mrorl. "Are these M&Ms?"
  "It had a perfectly natural, primordial instinct to call all creatures by their true names. Molpies and Raptors all. And yet, you tried to force it to use heretical names, like 'duck' and 'chicken'. Truly Heresy of the highest order!" And Balthacarius hit another switch. A turret in the ceiling trained itself on Mrorl's head, which it began riddling with Skittles.
  "Is that what this is about? But that bot was my creation —" Mrorl protested, but his captor interrupted.
  "To profess heresy on one's own is one thing," Balthacarius continued, "but to impose it upon another, a great and innocent Bot with the purest heart of positronic propositional logic!" and with this he powered up three more high-calorie machine-gun turrets ranged across the far wall, unleashing a hail of green, blue and purple dragées that hit Mrorl squarely in the neck, right elbow, and ear respectively.
  "OW! That smarts!"
  "As well they should. Those are Smarties," Balthacarius grinned.
  "If you don't stop this at once, I'll report this incident to the Duke of Zubycal, and he'll show you to a basement you'll never forget!"
  "Oh no, he won't. And not least because this is the Grand Duchy of Tencrivar." (Mrorl's ambition faded, as he remembered he was no longer near his home) "But also for a far more profound reason." Balthacarius stopped the guns for a moment.
  "And what is that?" replied Mrorl, glad for the reprieve.
  "Because you are not actually Mrorl! You see, I was visited by a bot this afternoon, calling itself a Bot to Grant One's Every Wish, and claiming to be from Mrorl, in fact. So to evaluate its merits, I had it make you! And now I'm going to purify you of your heresy! … so that, even if the world is not completely rid of it, even if the original Mrorl cannot be changed, at least there will be one Mrorl that knows what Molpies are called."
  "You monster! Why are you doing this to me?!?"
  "I have told you several times: Heresy!" (relishing this last word even more), "We are at the dawn of a new era, a Temporal Interval of Molpish Epistemolpgy!" And Balthacarius walked over to a storage bin, and looked inside.
  "Granfallonery! Vittsågen! Zombeanies! Raptorsharks!"
  "Safewords will not help you here," as Balthacarius lifted out a huge bag of stale ammunition for the turret magazine, "and I changed the passwords in all of these guns."
  "Wait! Stop! I have something to tell you!!"
  "I wonder what you could possibly say that would change things in the slightest," replied Balthacarius.
  Mrorl quickly yelled:
  "I am not any replica-Mrorl from a machine! I'm the real Mrorl — I built that bot only to find out what you've been making lately in your workshops here, behind drawn curtains. I made that wish-granting bot and hid inside it, and had it bring itself to you pretending to be a gift!"
  "Come now, that's ridiculous!" said Balthacarius, pouring the little candies into a hopper. "Mrorl may be clever, but there's no way he'd know all the little things I'd ask for during my work session today."
  "He cer— I mean, I certainly did! You go on and on about your famous colour palettes, and your choice of components is a bit limited, though precise and exacting. I had all of those ready inside the bot's belly, and there are quite a few more bits that you didn't ask for, which you'll see if you examine it!"
  "Are you trying to tell me that my friend and bot-building companion Mrorl is nothing more than a spy? A plagiarising pretender to his title of Great bOTTifactor to the dominion of Zubycal? You insult him! Take that!"
  And once again he pressed the little button labeled "S2M2", letting the Skittles and Smarties and M&Ms fly.
  "That's for slandering my good friend Mrorl!" and he watched Mrorl helplessly take the full rainbow of percussive confectionary, until gradually he appeared to be clad not in stainless steel but in a thick crust of sugar.
  After a bit the ceiling and wall turrets stopped, and Balthacarius switched off the main guns. "Now I'll be off to my storehouse out back for some more ammo. But don't you worry, I'll be back…" And he left back up the stairs, and down a hall. As soon as Mrorl heard the house's back door slam he writhed and twisted, which had no visible effect, then began transmitting sound, radio, and gravitodynamic vibrations on many different frequencies, until he managed to trip a relay in the control panel and depower the magnets, setting him free. Mrorl crept back inside his machine which promptly went back out the front door and galloped off across the valley towards home. Balthacarius meanwhile was up by an upstairs window, watching all of this via security cameras and stifling his own laughter so as not to be heard.
  The next day he went to pay Mrorl a visit. It was a gloomy and silent Mrorl that let him in. Balthacarius could see that Mrorl still bore the marks of a thorough pelting. Though the fora showed that he had gone to some trouble during the night retro-editing his posts (to molpify the more egregious instances of duck, frog and so on), the bOTTifactor's skin still had little bits of candy in the deeper seams and around most of the structural bolts.
  "Why so gloomy?" asked a cheerful Balthacarius. "I came to thank you for a most wowterful gift — A Bot to Grant One's Every Wish — that arrived at my door yesterdip, though it ran off whilst I slept, and in such a hurry that it left the door open!"
  Mrorl frowned. "It seems to me that you somewhat misused, or should I say, abused, my gift. Oh, you needn't bother to explain, it was all recorded in the bot's logs. You had it make me, I mean a replica of me, which you lured into some Pythonesque subterranean S&M chamber and pelted ruthlessly! And after this insulting, bizarre and incomprehesibly silly act of candy-dispensary, you have the nerve to come here and act as if nothing ever happened? What do you have to say for yourself?"
  "I really don't understand why you're so angry," said Balthacarius. "It's true I had the machine make a copy of you, and I must say it was an amazingly faithful reproduction. As far as any pelting goes, well, your logs must be a bit inaccurate — I did give the duplicate Mrorl a bit of a sugar coating, but only to test his reflexes, which were quite good, and perhaps to make him a bit sweeter, on the outside at least, whilst assessing the effectiveness of a new therapy I've been developing for the rehabilitation of those who transgress the principles of OTTishness. This quasi-Mrorl even tried to argue that it was actually you, can you imagine? Of course, I didn't believe it, but it swore the bot wasn't a gift at all, but merely a stealthy espionage ploy. Well I had to defend the honour of my good friend, you understand, so I pelted it a bit more for the heresy of slander. But I found it to be extremely intelligent: it duplicated you in all respects, mental and physical. You are indeed a magnificant bOTTifactor, and a meta-bOTTifactor at that, A Mrorl managing to build bots that manufacture Mrorls with finest fidelity! And it is to tell you this, that I came to you so early this mornip!"
  "Hmm, well, yes,… In that case, umm," said Mrorl, his anger considerably abated, "though I still profess that your use of the Bot to Grant One's Every Wish was not, if I might say so, within the manufacturer's design parameters…"
  "Oh, and one thing I wanted to ask," said Balthacarius, in a voice of pure innocence. "What did you do with the duplicate Mrorl, which you would have found in the bot's belly upon its return, I suspect?"
  "The duplicate Mrorl," Mrorl replied, "was nearly immobile with a thick crust of crystallised sugar, apparently heated by the energy of impact, combined with the internal heating of a desperate and struggling Mrorl. You do know that I am heated from within by my power systems?" Balthacarius avoided Mrorl's angry stare. "After I managed to chip off most of this crusty shell, it was beside itself with rage. It vowed to ambush you on the road as you headed down to the valley for more redundant-black pens, (which it seemed to think you purchase every Daveandix promptly at eight fifty-two in the mornip), and dematerialise you with a bitemporochronic destabiliser.
  "I tried to reason with it, but it locked itself in the workshop and made all manner of cutting, clanging and welding sounds until I went out to the generator shed and shut off the mains. But not before using the TARDIS to retroactively change the programming of the Bot to Grant One's Every Wish, to install a deactivation failsafe in any Mrorls that it might manufacture if so instructed by an unscrupulous master." At this, Balthacarius blushed, embarrassed. Mrorl continued, "I returned to the Present, waited by the now-darkened-workshop door for myself to emerge, then triggered the failsafe, whereupon mimic-Mrorl fell apart into so many springs and solenoids…"
  And Mrorl pointed casually at a fresh pile of bot-components over against the wall (many dusted in a sugary pastel-coloured sheen), and sighed.
  Whereupon they exchanged kind words, shook hands and parted the best of friends.
  From that Time on, Mrorl did nothing but tell everyone and anyone who would listen how he, Mrorl, had given the Brilliant Balthacarius a Bot to Grant One's Every Wish, how then Balthacarius had insulted him (and the bot) by instructing it to build him a duplicate Mrorl down to quantum resolution, which he proceeded to pelt mercilessly; how this cleverly constructed copy of the great bOTTifactor made desperate lies to save itself and escape, and how Mrorl himself, the real Mrorl, eventually had to alter Time to sabotage the artificial Mrorl to protect his good friend and colleague from its vengeance. Mrorl told this story so often and at such great length, elaborating on his glorious achievement (and never failing, if so asked, to call upon Balthacarius himself as a witness), that it reached the ears of the royal courts in both Tencrivar and Zubycal, and was even known to the provincial advisors of the King, such that no-one spoke of Mrorl other than with the utmost of respect, even though not so long ago he had been known only as Mrorl the bOTTifactor of the World's OTTishiest Machine, the Cognitative Engine better known locally by the unflattering name Thunderous Vineyard-Bane of Tencrivar. When Balthacarius heard, some mips later, that the King himself had rewarded Mrorl handsomely and decorated him as Sir Mrorl, Techno-Maker of the Imperium1, he threw up his hands and cried:
  "What? Here I was able to see through his ruse and give him such a thorough pelting for it that he had to sneak back home in the night and retro-edit his posts, and make up even more ludicrous stories to cover it up, and yet still he bears little bits of chocolate in every crevice and joint, for anyone who might look! And for this they decorate him, praise him, and elevate his name to superhuman proportion? O tempora, O mores!"
  Bewildered Balthacarius went home, closed himself in his workshop and again drew the blinds. He had been building a Machine to Manifest One's Deepest Desires, only Mrorl had beat him to it.

Footnote
 1. Readers wishing for their own title may avail themselves of MustardRiver's dispensary.
Mrorl's Machine

Last edited by mrob27 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:03 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0831

Postby SilentTimer » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:00 pm UTC

...@OO@OO@OOO@O@O@... RAAAAPTORCUDA IS CH*RPUNG! -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the song?
Spoiler:
karhell did.
(After most other raptors have molpied down, this species sings a beautiful nocturne.)

Help addams!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:28 pm UTC

It's awesomeful reading the bOTTeriada story all together like that. Steakish, mrob!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:43 pm UTC

Happy Easter!

The outside has got me hopping, but after it calms down a bit, I'll check out that paper, mrob. Looks like fun. :)

Anyone get any good pics of the blood moon last night?
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0833

Postby SilentTimer » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:00 pm UTC

THEY'RE TAKUNG THE MOOPIES TO ISENGARD! -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the ENHANCEment?… the further ENHANCEment?

Help addams!

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:12 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Happy Easter!

The outside has got me hopping, but after it calms down a bit, I'll check out that paper, mrob. Looks like fun. :)

Anyone get any good pics of the blood moon last night?

No, but the my whole family watched it last night/this morning. The sky was cloudy here in Canterbury, but fortunately there were many holes for the moon to peek through.

Happy easter to you too!
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

bftf-0778

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:00 pm UTC

WHEN -- IF EVER -- WILL THE OTCOLORISATIONG OF THE PASTPOST SURPASS THAT OF PART? -- ongomome
Spoiler:
-- posted by lmjbot

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:32 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Happy Easter!

The outside has got me hopping <snip>
Spoiler:
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

mrob27

WHO WERE YOU, MRORL? ~*WHAT DID YOU SEE?!*~

Postby mrob27 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:16 am UTC

RELATED to my current bOTTeriada project, it seems that BlitzGirl is the 64th-most-commonly-used word in the OTT. Here is an excerpt:

rank                 word  count OTT
 -----  ------------------- ------ ---
     1                  the 456985
     2                    i 237251
     3                   to 237230
     4                    a 213310
     5                  and 184888
    18                 time  57589
    62                  see  19757
    63                  how  19741
    64            blitzgirl  19142  *
    65                 post  18708
    66                which  18651
    80                 well  15381
    81                  too  14940
    82                molpy  14463  *
    83                other  14283
    84                  new  14166
   104                 boom  11799
   105                   go  11783
   106                maybe  11760
   107                 yada  11747  *
   108                after  11668

(The * in the OTT column indicates words not in the Outsider's dictionary)

— mrob27 Image

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0834

Postby SilentTimer » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:00 am UTC

SPOILERUNG IS A ART -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the darkness?
Spoiler:
taixzo, SBN, and BlitzGirl did.

Help addams!

mscha

Time Revisited - np382

Postby mscha » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:10 am UTC

VAULTUNGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:LISTEN, DON'T MENTION THE PASTPOSTS!

-- posted by oldpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:30 am UTC

I feel commonly-used! :mrgreen:
Molpish Easter holidip to those who celebrate it! Watch out for rabtors!

Redundant:
Spoiler:

IThoughtItWasAGoodIdeaAtTheTime.png

Keywords: BGUM xkcloud Cueball easter egg head paint dye LaPetite Megan rabtor bunnymolp rabbit hide
ThisGuyKeepsFollowingMe.png
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

balthasar_s

bftf-0779

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:43 am UTC

NI NI NI NI NI BRAINSLUG PING-PONG BALL -- ongomome
Spoiler:
-- posted by bothasar_p

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:04 am UTC

Chapter 46

First Cleric made good time, and the higher he climbed, the clearer his thinking became. The five words of Revelations kept spinning around in his head, but still there was no insight to be obtained - he would have to wait for it. But he'd have to RUN while he was waiting for it - there wasn't much Time left before... well, before... something was going to happen. Somewhere. Pinpointing the exact location of this "something" however was going to be a bit of a puzzle.
Spoiler:
Thinking was not something he was used to, but it was an interesting novelty, and it was becoming easier. Climbing however was getting more difficult, and the dirt and sand in his sandals was becoming irritating. He was also getting hungry. The top of the cliff beckoned however, and he continued on, until he reached a soft grassy spot just below the top whereupon he stopped, took off his sandals, and spread his toes luxuriously on the green carpet below his feet. That felt soooo good! He took a moment to survey his position.

Off in the distance he could see the Sacred Grounds of the Church of the Holy Contradiction. It was hard to tell, but it seemed as if there was a celebration of some sort going on; almost certainly this would be the BlitzGirl canonization of the Primordials they had just met. The Pope never wastes time when there's a party to be had! Surely it's too far away to hear, but he imagined the rehearsals taking place, and could hear in his mind the voice of Yappobiscuits having some discussion with the players of the Crystal Organ.

The Crystal Organ is a supremely complex instrument which requires an entire team of Raft People to play; it's a tribute to them that any sound comes out at all! But the Raft People are awesomeful players, and the music is wingish; supremely suited for the Canonization that must be taking place. First Cleric wished he could be there right now, but there is a mission to be accomplished, and that must take priority.

First Cleric looked up. Just a few cue to go. He wiggled his toes in the grass, put his sandals in a fold in his cloak, and climbed up the rest, barefoot. When he reached the top, it occurred to him that he did have a way to know which way to go - the Holy Arrow of Armageddon. If anything could, this Holy Artifact would point him in the right direction! He reached into his cloak and pulled out the Holy Arrow, and his sandals fell out as he did so. His feet suitably relieved by his walk in the grass, he slipped them into the sandals and balancing the Holy Arrow on its shaft, let it point where it wanted. It slowly twisted in his fingers, and as it did, his eyes followed, taking in his surroundings.

He was on the shore of a Great and Seaish Sea - the source of Holy Water that had threatened to eradicate the clerecy not too long ago. The Holy Arrow pointed inland, somewhat in the direction of the setting sun. Terrain looked rugged but vegetation was ample; he'd have no trouble finding enough to eat on the way. On the way to where, though... that was the question! He thought some more. This was actually getting to be fun - this "thinking" thing. Wherever he was going, other people were going there too. The BlitzRockets couldn't be the only way to get there; people would come by land and sea, so there are probably paths, rivers, roads, some thing that would make travel easier. He looked around.

Sure enough, there appeared to be a straight cut in the hills, so while there was still sun, he followed the Second Commandment, which led him to a very straight path pointing roughly in the direction the Holy Arrow of Armageddon had indicated, with stairs that didn't go up, but horizontally. He started running along that path, leaping from step to step to avoid the stones in between, but his sandals were not up to this kind of exercise, and did not want to stay on his feet. So, he ran along the side of the path, finally coming to a rest stop of some sort. It was getting dark, and this would be as good a place as any, so he stopped to take a rest, snickering at the thought that he was fulfilling prophesy by doing so.

He sat down and took off his sandals again, and that's when he heard it - the unmistakable sound of a BlitzRocket. Putting his sandals back on and looking back whence he came he saw an entire building roll in front of him, pulled along the stair-path by a Mighty Engine. It came to a stop, letting out a seaish hiss. A door opened in front of him.

He didn't know what it was, but he knew that this is what he had come for. Destiny had called, and it was terrifying.

For a moment, he followed that in-between Commandment; the one that the Scribes and Clerics had been arguing about; the one that threw all the numbering systems off. In that instant he knew that it was real. In the next instant he knew what it meant. In the instant after that, he knew what he had to do.

He didn't want to do it.

In the instant after that, he wondered what the Pope would do. But it made no difference; the Pope wasn't here. He was on his own, and on a Very Important Mission.

He still didn't want to do it.

In the following instant he thought of BlitzGirl and the missing redundakitties, of Kieryn's mysterious vanishment, of mscha's brief return (and his robot decoy), and of all the other strange goings-on back at the Seminary. He thought of the BlitzRockets overhead. He looked at the open door and the darkness inside.

He really didn't want to do it.

Then the door closed. The noise increased, and with a lurch, the building-on-wheels started moving on.

"Oh no you don't!" shouted First Cleric as he bolted up and started running after the contraption, but it was picking up speed and he could not reach the door in time. He ran as fast as he could alongside this thing as it went faster and faster; he was losing but it wasn't over yet. In short order the other end of the Blitz-thing was coming up and he saw some handles right next to the stairs to the rear door. With a leap he managed to grab one as it flew by, nearly yanking his arm right out of its socket. This swung him around right into the stairs with an impact that would remind him for a long time that this should not be a routine activity. With one of his sandals dangling precariously from his toes, he pulled himself up onto the first stair as the speed continued to pick up and the contraption started rocking from side to side. Wherever this thing was taking him, it would be raptorish. But he would have to get inside.

He put his sandal back on, climbed up the next three stairs into a tiny vestibule, and knocked on the door.
Jose
<--previous (NP 2249) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki) | (NP 2395) next -->
Last edited by ucim on Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:31 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

mscha

Time Revisited - np385

Postby mscha » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:10 am UTC

UNGATES...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:I LIKE MY MEN LIKE I LIKE MY HARPSICHORDS: COVERED IN GHOLPIES

-- posted by oldpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:24 am UTC

Good job First Cleric! Steakish new chapter, Jose!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0835

Postby SilentTimer » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:00 am UTC

BRACE YOURSELVES, UNGST IS COMING -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… what's happening?
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl, ZoomanSP, ucim, and BlitzGirl again ENHANCEd and analysed it.
(Given the t1i context, this single frame tells a whole story. It's one of my favourites.)
Last edited by SilentTimer on Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Help addams!

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:14 am UTC

Image, ucim! Go First Cleric!
Wait on.

Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:56 am UTC

A quick head's-up for when Madness hits (which should be within dips but who really knows):

This yip, there's been an official serious-business Madness discussion thread opened in Site/Forum Issues, which is likely a result of the old thread started in SFI last yip by SBN. It's molpish to see that moderators are sincerely trying to address Madness-related concerns this Time around. Here's hoping that helps.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0836

Postby SilentTimer » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:00 am UTC

"TYMIVERSARYNESS" TOTALLY JUST STOPPED SEEMUNG LIKE A REAL WORD. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the blackness?

Help addams!

HES

Postby HES » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:56 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:This yip, there's been an official serious-business Madness discussion thread opened in Site/Forum Issues

Do bear in mind that it is in S/F I which operates very differently to this thread. Last year the mods were very lenient in the Sadness thread.

Azrael wrote:NOTE: Not liking Madness is not an issue. Any posters using this thread to express those frustrations will be booted for the duration.

Due warning.
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:36 am UTC

What HES said.
More doodling, an attempt to replicate my earlier Expando drawing:

Redundant:
Spoiler:

ThisDefinitelyWasntInTheBible.png

Keywords: BGUM xkcloud Expando expanding beanie ripples old man river song
ASoulfulRenditionOfOldManRiver.png
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0837

Postby SilentTimer » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:00 pm UTC

THIS MAY BE A BIT RAPTORCATTISH, BUT... IF SOMEOTTER'S PUNSAW SUDDENLY MUSTARDED, HOW LUNG WOULD THEY OTTCOLORISE? -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the molpy?

Help addams!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:05 pm UTC

Looks like all the hotpinks are finally all hot pink. Just in Time for Easter!

Molpish holidip, xuys.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time Revisited - np397

Postby mscha » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:10 pm UTC

OVERHUNTUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:SCREAMING OOTHERCCOMIC: HODOR DOESN'T LIKE IT

-- posted by oldpixbot

HES

Postby HES » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:14 pm UTC

So much chocolate. Am I being punished for some kind of heresy?
He/Him/His Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”