Mar 25th - Actual Important Announcement - Mod Madness 2015

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Quercus

Re: Mar 25th - Actual Important Announcement - Mod Madness 2

Postby Quercus » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:25 pm UTC

TheAuditors wrote:They have finished.

Order is restored.

It must not be allowed to happen again.

[loads trebuchet with chocolates, holds up sign "mouths must be open, by order", fires]

TheAuditors

Postby TheAuditors » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:43 pm UTC

They do not realise that each line of our posts is a different auditor speaking.

They do not understand.

A trebuchet would not be an efficient means of chocolate delivery anyway.

It would arrive at too high a speed and injure the mouths of people trying to catch it.

That's the problem with people. They never think things through.

faubiguy

Postby faubiguy » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:55 pm UTC

Is there a list of everyone who was empinkened?

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:01 pm UTC

I did start on a list with all because I thought it would help me with feeding everyone to caits pet. I'll post it tomorrow.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:07 pm UTC

faubiguy wrote:Is there a list of everyone who was empinkened?

I appear to have been empinkened twice, according to that thread lunk to above. The second time was some kind of chain empinkening. Then again I have very little idea what was going on, so.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

SDK

Postby SDK » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:20 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:I appear to have been empinkened twice, according to that thread lunk to above. The second time was some kind of chain empinkening. Then again I have very little idea what was going on, so.

I'm not sure why Cait's empinkening didn't count. The rules of that game were secret. I empinkened you because the objective at the time was to empinken the entirely of this thread (this one, right here, the one I'm posting in right now), but couldn't do it until cellocgw was empinkened first because you hadn't posted recently enough to catch you the old fashioned way. If that didn't make sense, that's probably okay.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:03 pm UTC

Boo order.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:20 pm UTC

Ook!

Gold.

:(

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:34 pm UTC

Gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold gold etc.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:38 pm UTC

I think there are gremlimsmods in this thread.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:34 pm UTC

Please allow the Modness to attempt to come to a complete stop before clearing your safety restraints, and remember to check your seating area for any belongings before you disembark.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:37 pm UTC

I can't find my sanity. Has anybody seen it?

he/him/his

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:40 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:I can't find my sanity. Has anybody seen it?

I think I saw it fall out of the car on that last screw-turn, along with half my pocket change and my keys.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:05 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:
bachaddict wrote:
suffer-cait wrote:CAIT —→>>> FEMALE
DA DOI

Fractal Tangent has her pronouns in her signature, but I long knew that Cait is a girl too.

I check the Gender pronouns thread, and this one too but if you haven't posted your preferences there, then oh well :wink:

(Edit: Perhaps some already know this, but perhaps "Cait" is a given name in Celtic cultures? (baby names: cait) and if so, then definitely of the likely-more-female end of the distribution, if one were to guess out of context.)

WHy would I post there? I do not game. Also those threads were made since I left and returned making them not in my view even more so. And yes it is Celtic, and I have never run into a male with such a name.

Also, it's really easy to avoid gendered pronouns if you do not know. It is rude to automatically assume male. Why? because I won a game? because I am on the internet? Cait is generally female, but you knew my name, and still decided I must be male. what sexist assumptions in you decided this?

rat4000 wrote:"Cait" seems to be a shortening of "Caitlin" (or one of several alternative spellings), and "Caitlin" is an Irish name given to women.

Amusingly, when I was in Ireland, no-one seemed familiar with the name.
ImageImageImageImageImage

rat4000
r/ratsgonewild

Postby rat4000 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:20 pm UTC

How do you pronounce it? In America it's often /'keɪtlɪn/ or something close, and in Ireland I think it's supposed to be /kat'lɪ:n/ or something close. Those are kind of far away from one another.

If you are unfamiliar with IPA, an inadequate way to show the difference is to say that it's KATE-leen versus kat-LEEN, where the vowel in the first syllable of the second version is very close to the one you (probably) use in "start". Also the second syllable of the second version is longer than the second syllable of the first version. I did say "inadequate".

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:32 pm UTC

I think we even spelled it out for them (literally) and they still gave funny looks, and said "no, but 'Catleen' etc"
It was over a decade ago, I just remember it being hillarious since my parents had intended to give me an irish name, but apparently no one in ireland knew it.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:38 pm UTC

suffer-cait wrote:I think we even spelled it out for them (literally) and they still gave funny looks, and said "no, but 'Catleen' etc"
It was over a decade ago, I just remember it being hillarious since my parents had intended to give me an irish name, but apparently no one in ireland knew it.

I am not Irish but am familiar with the name Caitlin being Irish. But then, I am also familiar with this name: Siobhan (pronounced: ahaha fuck you) which is also Irish. Irish names are silly.
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.

she/her/hers
=]

mrob27

Postby mrob27 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:45 pm UTC

suffer-cait wrote:WHy would I post there? I do not game. Also those threads were made since I left and returned making them not in my view even more so. And yes it is Celtic, and I have never run into a male with such a name.

Also, it's really easy to avoid gendered pronouns if you do not know. It is rude to automatically assume male. Why? because I won a game? because I am on the internet? Cait is generally female, but you knew my name, and still decided I must be male. what sexist assumptions in you decided this?

I think I was a large part of letting this discussion veer off of Madness and into the important-and-serious topic of gender pronouns and all that bad genderculture stuff (mansplaining? misogyny? did I spell that right?) So I'll take the blame for this, at least in part.

I can't find the thread for the important-serious discussion (where is the whole-forum search? hmmm... okay, here is my best attempt)

There was such a discussion, here and it got closed/locked, by @Azrael, for the reason "because the problem has been answered". The answer seems to be to use "they", which is close to what you suggested, i.e. to avoid using the gendered pronouns (except if you know another choice is preferred).

@Weeks did not want the "politics" of the matter discussed on those two "give your pronoun here" threads but I think it's nice to give your pronoun somewhere. Maybe in the Location part of the profile, like I've done.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:02 pm UTC

There are a myriad of reasons why people would not be happy to post their pronouns here.
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:03 pm UTC

That was the reason we never installed GenderIDMod or whatever you'd want to call it.

Also, y'all. It's a perfectly cromulent word. Use it.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:03 pm UTC

Personally, I'd prefer if you keep your pronouns to yourself.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:08 pm UTC

rat4000 wrote:How do you pronounce it? In America it's often /'keɪtlɪn/ or something close, and in Ireland I think it's supposed to be /kat'lɪ:n/ or something close. Those are kind of far away from one another.

If you are unfamiliar with IPA, an inadequate way to show the difference is to say that it's KATE-leen versus kat-LEEN
Okay, but that's worse than inadequate, if your own IPA renderings are correct, because in no dialect I know of is <ee> ever pronounced [ɪ]

mrob27 wrote:I think I was a large part of letting this discussion veer off of Madness and into the important-and-serious topic of gender pronouns and all that bad genderculture stuff (mansplaining? misogyny? did I spell that right?) So I'll take the blame for this, at least in part.
I feel like you should maybe take most of it, on account of you're the one Cait was obviously responding to there, what with the whole quoting you thing and everything.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:12 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:That was the reason we never installed GenderIDMod or whatever you'd want to call it.

New mod madness: replace all gendered pronouns with y'all.
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

Dauric

Postby Dauric » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:15 pm UTC

Fractal_Tangent wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:That was the reason we never installed GenderIDMod or whatever you'd want to call it.

New mod madness: replace all gendered pronouns with y'all.

Alternately: replace all pronouns with "pronoun".

Edit: to be followed by replacing all nouns with "noun", verbs with "verb", adjectives with "adjective"....

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:21 pm UTC

We could make filters fairly easily for the pronouns, as English has so few of them, but content words would be more difficult.
(pronoun modal verb noun adverb adverb preposition determiner noun comma conjunction noun verb adverb determiner preposition pronoun comma conjunction noun noun modal verb adverb adjective)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

HES

Postby HES » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:25 pm UTC

Fractal_Tangent wrote:
suffer-cait wrote:Siobhan (pronounced: ahaha fuck you)

I had to phone a Siobhan once. Fucked that up. If only she spelled it Shavaun. Or...
Spoiler:
Siobhain, Siobhin, Siobhon, Siobahn, Shivon, Siavon, Siovhan, Shivaune, Shivaun, Shavon, Sioban, Siobain, Shivonne, Shvaugn, Shivaughn, Shivaughne, Shievonne, Shavaughn, Shavaughne, Shavaughan, Shavaugn, Shavaugne, Shavaun, Shavaune, Sheavaughn, Shevaun, Shevawn, Shavone, Shavonne, Shevonne, Chevonne, Chevone, Chivonne, Chevon, Shivan, Chivoun, or Ciobhinne

None of which are remotely close to Judith.
He/Him/His Image

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:29 pm UTC

Apparently Sean is pronounced "Shane" in a non-zero number of real-life instances (and they are VERY, VERY easily angered when you pronounce Sean the way it's spelled).

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:31 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Apparently Sean is pronounced "Shane" in a non-zero number of real-life instances (and they are VERY, VERY easily angered when you pronounce Sean the way it's spelled).
Well, the way it's spelled it should be pronounced "seen", but I don't know of anyone who pronounces their own name that way.
---

(he/him/his)

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:32 pm UTC

Yeah, I realized that too late. Well, pronounced the way it's been pronounced for the other... 40 or 50 Sean's I've encountered.

Diemo

Postby Diemo » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:39 pm UTC

suffer-cait wrote:
rat4000 wrote:"Cait" seems to be a shortening of "Caitlin" (or one of several alternative spellings), and "Caitlin" is an Irish name given to women.

This is very surprising to me. Are you sure they were not just lying to you? We (I) do that a lot.

Though that said, Caítlín is pretty unusual - Cáit would be much more common. Caitlin is even more uncommon (and I would argue, not actually Irish, by which I mean the language, not the nationality).

With Sean, I suspect that it is Shan, not Shane that they mean. Most people would pronounce it Shawn, I can't see any pronunciation that is seen though, there is an A for a reason :).

I should learn the IPA for conversations like this.

In other news, my sister is called Tuathlaith (or, alternatively, Tuathfhlaith), both pronounced the same.

Spoiler:
Tula

It means Princess of the people. Órfhlaith (Orla) means Golden Princess.
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

suffer-cait

Postby suffer-cait » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:46 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:We could make filters fairly easily for the pronouns, as English has so few of them, but content words would be more difficult.
(pronoun modal verb noun adverb adverb preposition determiner noun comma conjunction noun verb adverb determiner preposition pronoun comma conjunction noun noun modal verb adverb adjective)

considering who inhabits this place changing all gendered pronouns to neutral ones could be a decent choice, then we might learn to speak more clearly about who we are speaking of without refering to their gender. Though also, those who like to take pride in their gender or throughly identify with it might not like that option.

Personally I don't mind it when people use neutral pronouns with me, however I absolutely loathe people assuming I am male.

rat4000
r/ratsgonewild

Postby rat4000 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:54 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
rat4000 wrote:How do you pronounce it? In America it's often /'keɪtlɪn/ or something close, and in Ireland I think it's supposed to be /kat'lɪ:n/ or something close. Those are kind of far away from one another.

If you are unfamiliar with IPA, an inadequate way to show the difference is to say that it's KATE-leen versus kat-LEEN
Okay, but that's worse than inadequate, if your own IPA renderings are correct, because in no dialect I know of is <ee> ever pronounced [ɪ]
Yeah, I keep messing up /ɪ/ and /i/. (/ɪ:/ is bloody nonsense anyway, isn't it? /ɪ/ is never long.) Mea culpa.

/'keɪtlɪn/ versus /kat'li:n/, KATE-lin versus kat-LEEN. There's still no sensible way to render /a/, of course.

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:02 pm UTC

suffer-cait wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:We could make filters fairly easily for the pronouns, as English has so few of them, but content words would be more difficult.

considering who inhabits this place changing all gendered pronouns to neutral ones could be a decent choice, then we might learn to speak more clearly about who we are speaking of without refering to their gender. Though also, those who like to take pride in their gender or throughly identify with it might not like that option.

Personally I don't mind it when people use neutral pronouns with me, however I absolutely loathe people assuming I am male.

We're definitely the same person. Tbh: when stupid boys come around, me and my girls shut 'em down.. I need to get us some tiaras.
eSOANEM wrote:

she/her/hers
=]

speising

Postby speising » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:13 pm UTC

Diemo wrote:
suffer-cait wrote:

This is very surprising to me. Are you sure they were not just lying to you? We (I) do that a lot.

Though that said, Caítlín is pretty unusual - Cáit would be much more common. Caitlin is even more uncommon (and I would argue, not actually Irish, by which I mean the language, not the nationality).

With Sean, I suspect that it is Shan, not Shane that they mean. Most people would pronounce it Shawn, I can't see any pronunciation that is seen though, there is an A for a reason :).

I should learn the IPA for conversations like this.

In other news, my sister is called Tuathlaith (or, alternatively, Tuathfhlaith), both pronounced the same.

Spoiler:
Tula

It means Princess of the people. Órfhlaith (Orla) means Golden Princess.

I like Saoirse [ˈsɪrʃə]

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:34 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Personally, I'd prefer if you keep your pronouns to yourself.

I'm not sure if you're serious or being facetious, but if the former, as someone who has to put up with either being explicit about my pronouns or being misgendered, kindly fuck off.

suffer-cait wrote:

Yeah, whilst I'm perfectly happy with people using "they" pronouns for me (seeing as those are my pronouns), for binary trans folk, that could also be very bad (seeing as degendering by using "they" pronouns is a common way of dismissing their gender).
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:55 pm UTC

Fractal_Tangent wrote:
suffer-cait wrote:

We're definitely the same person. Tbh: when stupid boys come around, me and my girls shut 'em down.. I need to get us some tiaras.

1. What did I just watch?
2. Motherfucking crowns!
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:38 am UTC

Image Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:22 am UTC

I thought GNU Terry Pratchett was something by the GNU project people.
High time I read the books.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

Return to “General”