In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

eSOANEM
:D

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby eSOANEM » Fri May 29, 2015 6:50 am UTC

Carlington wrote:I was very confused as to whether these were boulder police as in police who police boulders or police who police in Boulder. As it turns out, they're kinda both. Those damned Boulder boulder police, policing Boulder boulder builders.

I suppose you could say they were bolder Boulder boulder police, policing Boulder boulder builders than the Boulder boulder police not policing Boulder boulder builders.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri May 29, 2015 7:00 am UTC

WTF is this????

The corporation says that the series will “tackle some of the most pressing issues of our time” including why British productivity is so low, is the benefits system providing many with a reason not to work, do immigrants work harder and have the young really not got the work ethic of their parents.

No, no it won't. How will a knock-out competition answer any of these things????
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

speising

Postby speising » Fri May 29, 2015 7:24 am UTC

Angua wrote:WTF is this????

The corporation says that the series will “tackle some of the most pressing issues of our time” including why British productivity is so low, is the benefits system providing many with a reason not to work, do immigrants work harder and have the young really not got the work ethic of their parents.

No, no it won't. How will a knock-out competition answer any of these things????

It's British "Hunger Games" though: the losers are "asked to leave".

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Fri May 29, 2015 1:11 pm UTC

Court clears way for man to marry his son.

I suppose we WERE warned that this would happen right after marriage equality came to pass, but I didn't take it seriously.

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Fri May 29, 2015 1:46 pm UTC

speising wrote:

It smells to me like a sort of punching-down version of The Apprentice. I will be steering well clear.
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Fri May 29, 2015 1:50 pm UTC

Tirian wrote:Court clears way for man to marry his son.

I suppose we WERE warned that this would happen right after marriage equality came to pass, but I didn't take it seriously.

I'm surprised that one of them was allowed to legally adopt the other in the first place (and they were already "domestic partners" at the time). That seems like a gross abuse of adoption laws. Shouldn't there have been an outcry then, that a person wants to adopt another person and then have sex with that person? Is that legal as long as it's not pedophilia?
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Fri May 29, 2015 2:16 pm UTC

Echo244 wrote:
speising wrote:

It smells to me like a sort of punching-down version of The Apprentice. I will be steering well clear.

Yeah, this is what I thought as well. Especially as any perceived incompetence on the part of the participants will be seen as enforcing the views above, even if they make the same mistakes as the high-powered, successful people that get on the Apprentice.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Fri May 29, 2015 2:21 pm UTC

Huh I didn't know adoption was used that way, I guess it makes sense as a workaround. Well good for them. Though since the son thing was only legal fiction and they got a Vacate Adoption Decree I believe "Man marries ex-son" is more fitting and confusing enough for click bait!^^

Alexius

Postby Alexius » Fri May 29, 2015 10:34 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:
Carlington wrote:I was very confused as to whether these were boulder police as in police who police boulders or police who police in Boulder. As it turns out, they're kinda both. Those damned Boulder boulder police, policing Boulder boulder builders.

I suppose you could say they were bolder Boulder boulder police, policing Boulder boulder builders than the Boulder boulder police not policing Boulder boulder builders.

I assume you've seen this then?

buffalo fish police

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Sat May 30, 2015 5:20 am UTC

mathmannix wrote:

I'm surprised that one of them was allowed to legally adopt the other in the first place (and they were already "domestic partners" at the time). That seems like a gross abuse of adoption laws. Shouldn't there have been an outcry then, that a person wants to adopt another person and then have sex with that person? Is that legal as long as it's not pedophilia?

Some states allow adult adoption, which is deliberately designed to allow people to create parent-child legal relationships for purposes of inheritance and similar concerns; including the right to make medical decisions. Since gay marriage was not allowed, this was the only way they could establish the legal relationship they wanted (and even then it would have been restrictive.
In all fairness...

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Sat May 30, 2015 9:13 am UTC

Angua wrote:
Echo244 wrote:

Yeah, this is what I thought as well. Especially as any perceived incompetence on the part of the participants will be seen as enforcing the views above, even if they make the same mistakes as the high-powered, successful people that get on the Apprentice.

I rather like Jack Monroe's warning to anyone thinking of applying.
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Sat May 30, 2015 9:57 am UTC

The Guardian wrote:In the hit Hollywood film, which stars Jennifer Lawrence, contestants are chosen from the poorest districts of a country and compete in a fight to the death until just one survives in a hit TV show televised for the amusement of its wealthiest citizens.

Um, no? That's completely not what happens.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

elasto

Postby elasto » Sat May 30, 2015 1:28 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:"We have hit a road block in our ability to arrest hipsters. Nevertheless, we will not let this stop us. Instead, we will find ways to declare anything that they do to be illegal!"

Reminds me of this article (substituting racism for snobbery)

On a recent visit to the arraignment part in Brooklyn’s criminal court, PROP volunteers observed that police officers had arrested two Latino men on the charge of "man spreading" on the subway, presumably because they were taking up more than one seat and therefore inconveniencing other riders.

Before issuing an [adjournment contemplating dismissal] for both men, the judge expressed her skepticism about the charge because of the time of the arrests: "12:11AM, I can't believe there were many people on the subway"

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Sat May 30, 2015 5:23 pm UTC

I can never remember, 12 am is noon right? Or midnight. I remember the AM/PM system not making sense but I can never remember in which way.

(I know I could easily look this up. But lazy me is lazy)
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sat May 30, 2015 5:36 pm UTC

Huh it's midnight according to wiki followed by 1 am, and 12 pm noon followed by 1pm, that really makes no sense. Never noticed it when I accidentally switched to that mode. Probably because I don't have to check whether it's am or pm at noon or midnight.

Edit:0 would make more sense imo.
Last edited by PeteP on Sat May 30, 2015 5:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sat May 30, 2015 5:37 pm UTC

Edit: Double post, forgot I wasn't in FaiD.
Last edited by PeteP on Sat May 30, 2015 5:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

K-R

Postby K-R » Sat May 30, 2015 5:40 pm UTC

In the system you seem to prefer, 12:00am would be immediately followed by 12:01pm. That seems more confusing, not less.

Unless you're suggesting that 12:01-12:59am should be during the day, followed by 1pm, which seems to completely disregard the notion of afternoon being, y'know, after noon.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Sat May 30, 2015 5:48 pm UTC

K-R wrote:In the system you seem to prefer, 12:00am would be immediately followed by 12:01pm. That seems more confusing, not less.

Unless you're suggesting that 12:01-12:59am should be during the day, followed by 1pm, which seems to completely disregard the notion of afternoon being, y'know, after noon.

No I am suggesting there shouldn't be a 12+ in a 12 hour system. I suggest it goes from 0:00 am- 11:59 am and 0:00 pm to 11:59 pm. Like base 10 not having an character for 10. I find the letters switching an hour before the numbers reset is weird.

Grop

Postby Grop » Sat May 30, 2015 6:22 pm UTC

Liewise, in a 24 hour system we go from 00:00 to 23:59.

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Sat May 30, 2015 6:45 pm UTC

K-R wrote:In the system you seem to prefer, 12:00am would be immediately followed by 12:01pm. That seems more confusing, not less.

Etymologically and scientifically, noon is not defined by an association with 12:00, it's defined as the point at which the sun is at its apex or highest elevation.

Etymologically, it evolved to mean "midday", and is associated with other words that take the "apex of the sun" meaning to use it as a compass for South. AM and PM are actually defined by the sun-apex meaning, as well. Treating 12 PM as Noon during DST (or in fact, using PM in that manner during DST at all) is a bastardization of what it has historically meant, and is still considered controversial. According to wikipedia, the travel industry actually tries to avoid scheduling anything at 12:00 AM or PM specifically because the modern US treatment of the time is so shitty.
From the elegant yelling of this compelling dispute comes the ghastly suspicion my opposition's a fruit.

K-R

Postby K-R » Sat May 30, 2015 6:49 pm UTC

KrytenKoro wrote:DST...is so shitty.
True.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sat May 30, 2015 7:28 pm UTC

Noon will also be pretty off if your location is far away from the timezone definition point.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Sun May 31, 2015 5:21 am UTC

It's not just DST and distance from your time zone's central meridian that affects the time of true noon (aka apparent noon) i.e., the time when the Sun is highest in the sky that day, when the length of the shadow of a vertical pole is at its minimum for that day. The average time period from one true noon to the next is 24 hours, but the actual time period between successive noons varies throughout the year, mostly due to the obliquity of the ecliptic and the eccentricity of the Earth's orbit.

To keep things simple, modern timekeeping uses days of fixed length. The difference between local mean noon and local apparent noon is called the equation of time.

From that Wikipedia link:
The equation of time — above the axis a sundial will appear fast relative to a clock showing local mean time, and below the axis a sundial will appear slow.

So the difference between clock time noon and local apparent noon can be more than a quarter of an hour, even for someone located right on their timezone's central meridian with no DST.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:43 am UTC

But yeah, if you just renamed the 12 hour as 0, then the system would make a lot more sense... ticking over from 11:59:59 am to 0:00:00 pm.

For bonus consistency, move the am/pm signifier to the start, and couple it with a y/m/d date convention, to make it full big-endian order.

But yeah, as it stands the 12-oclock hour is a bit weird. But at least calling midnight 12am and noon 12pm means that all the parts of the date and time are left-closed.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:38 am UTC

Military time makes sense.
And, metric makes sense.

The US stubbornly refuses to use systems that make sense.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:00 am UTC

The 12-hour clock at least is not the US standing alone in defiance of sense, it's pretty common in a lot of places. Much as I'd love it to change...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:03 am UTC

Personally speaking, I never say "12am". I instead say "12 Midnight" or "12 Noon".
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:36 am UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:Personally speaking, I never say "12am". I instead say "12 Midnight" or "12 Noon".

I try to schedule things for 11:59 in order to avoid confusion.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

WilliamLehnsherr

Postby WilliamLehnsherr » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:17 am UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:Personally speaking, I never say "12am". I instead say "12 Midnight" or "12 Noon".

I always say 12am and 12pm. It makes me to feel smarter than people when they get confused and I have to elaborate.

I am a very sad person.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:40 am UTC

phlip wrote:But yeah, if you just renamed the 12 hour as 0, then the system would make a lot more sense... ticking over from 11:59:59 am to 0:00:00 pm.

That's how I remember which is which: 12 should really be 0, but we call it 12 because it's a carry-over from Ancient Times, before zero was invented.

phlip wrote:For bonus consistency, move the am/pm signifier to the start, and couple it with a y/m/d date convention, to make it full big-endian order.

Like.

phlip wrote:But yeah, as it stands the 12-oclock hour is a bit weird. But at least calling midnight 12am and noon 12pm means that all the parts of the date and time are left-closed.

Lots of horological stuff is a bit weird, but I guess that's to be expected in such a venerable and complicated field.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:37 am UTC

I don't really understand the confusion between the current 12-hour clock. It works fine for me.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:37 pm UTC

Alexius wrote:
eSOANEM wrote:

I assume you've seen this then?

buffalo fish police

That's great, but it missed out on mentioning
buffalo fish
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Postby firechicago » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:15 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I know it's The Onion, but.... damn, spot on as always.

Wealthy Teen Nearly Experiences Consequence

These are the people I went to high school with. I even wrestled against Rutgers Prep a couple times.

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:24 pm UTC

http://abcnews.go.com/US/cops-dna-analy ... d=31495378

Seems a tad extreme for spitting in someone's drink.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:40 pm UTC

Holy fuck, that Ken Yerdon comes across as an entitled dick.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:24 pm UTC

"It's a backstory that everybody thinks about, what the servers do and what's happening in the kitchen," Lahm said. "It’s disgusting to think about it."

It's disgusting to think about, and yet they've been voluntarily fixated on it for the past year instead of getting the fuck over it. What's also disgusting to think about is how much taxpayer money the New York State Police had to spend on this vendetta. The sad thing is that Chili's will settle instead of countersuing him for being king of the assclowns.

ivnja
The spirit of things can bugger right off.

Postby ivnja » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:28 pm UTC

I'm having a hard time feeling sympathetic toward the waiter here.
Hi you.
she/her

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:07 pm UTC

ivnja wrote:I'm having a hard time feeling sympathetic toward the waiter here.

Yeah I kinda dislike everyone in this story.

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:13 pm UTC

He certainly made a bad and antisocial decision (even if the plaintiffs were nightmare customers, and I feel very comfortable believing that they were). But the guy's got a criminal record and now he has to hire a lawyer to defend him in civil court for unstated damages. The damages that the plaintiffs actually suffered are pretty much a meal (that had already been comped) and the co-pay for an HIV and hep-C test, and yet the plaintiffs evidently aren't going through small claims court despite the fact that this is surely a small claim. And IANAL, but it doesn't seem to me that they suffered as a result of the restaurant not firing the waiter, since they haven't gone back, so it's puzzling why they should be able to sue for that.

So, yeah, the waiter deserves to suffer some consequences for his actions, but I think we're well beyond that point.

Return to “News & Articles”