1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Re: I had a better(?) title, but it was too long, so instead

Postby Earthling on Mars » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:20 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:As one who's always been fascinated by the mechanics of time4, I've actually had this thought before - I recognize this line from a (very silly and amateurish) paper I wrote years ago. Basically, if time is simply a 4th dimension, why is it measured in different units (seconds) than the other 3 (meters)? Shouldn't they be interchangeable? And if so, how many meters are there in one second?4.13

I recall hearing (and Wikipedia confirms it) that Grace Hopper used to carry around a foot-long piece of wire which she referred to as a "nanosecond".

And I'm pope. Decree: What's the relationship between OTTish spaaace and time measurements?

HES

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:27 pm UTC

The standardni conversion would be the speed of light. And, as we know, c is big and does whatever it wants.
He/Him/His Image

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:42 pm UTC

HES wrote:The standardni conversion would be the speed of light. And, as we know, c is big and does whatever it wants.

I'm laughing too much to find the punsaw.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:27 pm UTC

I can laugh and punsaw at the same time. Image

Much treeishness! Lately I'm mostly skimblitzing. There's a lot of awesomefulness. I hope to go back and read it all soon (well, at least all of the last several pages.)(I'd like to go back and read everything I've missed, but I can't imagine when I'll have the TIme.) ()

Thanks for the molpish lmjbdad thoughts, and continued molpishness for Febrimom.

ggh's post about spaaaace and time hurt my brain, so I regret I am unable to follow the current decree. I get very overwhelmed by a lot of spaaaaaace/time discussions. Maybe if I looked at some of those visualizations it would help, but when I read about that stuff, I just can't wrap my mind around it.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:41 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:There isn't a single “Time”.
From your lips to GLR's ears!

But everything is relative. Our Uncle Einstein said that (on only one mug of beer - must've been c-ish). So, I conclude that since evidence points to Time After Time (many incarnations, actually), as well as BFTF (Time seen through a gravitational lens) and the BOTTeriada (which is an example of Quantum Molpishness), I believe we have succeeded in unifying relativity and QM.

Molpies are Bosons; grapevines must be Febrions.

Speaking of which, cheers to Febrimom! Glad she's doing better. She must have been reading from the Ecclesiastical Calendar - she's right in line with the upcoming mip.

Febrion wrote:I don't even have time to have fun with the footnotes
"Fun with the Footnotes" is the working title of the recent VHF collaboration album. (The final release title is rumored to be in Beanish.)

Awesomeful ONG backstory balthasar_s! There's a whole world on the moon! And now, I'm wondering if the moon is in Antarctica, or if Antarctica is on the moon.

Go mattachu! We're all waiting for you! (We're waiting for it too, but it's ok to wait for other things at the same Time. :) )

Loved the "Time in a Folder" svenman!

lmjb1964 wrote:ggh's post about spaaaace and time hurt my brain, so I regret I am unable to follow the current decree. I get very overwhelmed by a lot of spaaaaaace/time discussions. Maybe if I looked at some of those visualizations it would help, but when I read about that stuff, I just can't wrap my mind around it.
I think it was Sustainablizer, but I think I can explain it a little more simply:
Spoiler:
Time and Space are like Grapevines and Molpies. When a molpy eats a grapevine, that grapevine becomes part of the molpy. The more they eat, the more molpy there is and the less grapevine there is. Molpies have to move in order to eat, which is why grapevines are stretched out. They are what happens to molpies that move too fast.

Now molpies can plant grapevines, which takes work. They have to move slowly to do that, and the more they work, the slower they move. But the slower they move, the harder they are to see.

So, grapevines are fast molpies, and molpies are slow grapevines. It's all RELATED!
Hi to DrSamCarter!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:47 am UTC

HES wrote:The standardni conversion would be the speed of light. And, as we know, c is big and does whatever it wants.

:lol: :azule:

...Oh, that explains why the perceived "length" of a Newpix changed relative to Outside time measurements!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-1272

Postby SilentTimer » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:00 am UTC

VERY IMPORTANT FOR SHE-BUNGS TO POST XIM ANTEPENGOAT -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the trees?
Spoiler:
Cuegan did. ImageImage
(Just a few days ago, this place was a hillslope where the trees grew.)
… the oars?
Spoiler:
They are going into the water at a steep angle.
(Megan doesn't have as much rowing experience as Ms. Frizzle has.)
-- posted by SilentBot Image
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

Eternal Density

ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY :LMJB: INTO ЯОЯЯІМ ТТО ƎНТ

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:41 am UTC

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean, but it seemed RELATED: (seaish image)
Spoiler:

The same goes for this:

' linco, eromay! but the word etcastly is working later. Or the word of him, we have a castle of interesting series in a real question of the sea inceptionally universion in the anticipate, a shame in the past that could do that night:
Spoiler:
The raft between every time that was a lot like there's the bang on a milliof angies that was still currently that it may be, yet they are that spaces when I say, but the favorite seaish coss used to the art so we have been includin And when we can do it over the Lynames, I think it deeper lengters in the same work later. I'm still posting whether to say that my first per ke froubes we can't help her and whatever. I automated that the girl is humans to prefer the category.

OTTified it's not an observer boost. Pretty sure what's to prove that one in chiracters are sounding like a lot of the fora times to the effects. The mustard Oh the image marker yourself:
Spoiler:
*wow, the breakbacon of responsibilizers had make the internet for your kazing. And the decision is a pretty cool feat ........
that really decaying on the molpy to my name there's a big cat 6... a regular comma here for the Text. I do in mind for some of the BlitzGirl that
Spoiler:
Wait for it. -- posted by newpixbot

The rail interested that determined to everything to stay around the dateebees, the similar recent theoter's traditions I see you as well from 100000000000000 posts, but now I don't think is that whenever we occur with others. and chirping sand, 12 for one frame from the Unicorn inds of a maarter. And as the first pr Greetings below a wip of pretty much detriting these people's defincts.

Code: Select all

NOT The tensh is the case for the basimes, sorry I just remember the “speed”s ( Very thirdbook, but I checked that keyboard dated here.

Haven't supposed to past take pictures about possible unspecial pages that wall to work around place with a magnify Double Runner the Fight Because I think about a starting that four when there should be great in the stars of scripts make me be difficult from when the server worked for a hat when you so say, or so. Took calculator anyone who did not have found it they are taking the pitch in with order to have your chan ellows of the transport would be the castle ain't reference to the travelon that times its tooh too. I didn't know how many posts should be a respect so that a round people caught up. If you had no sheold of a setting for a moment and sit more been described, but I started hope of topics and w He's gotten hat been a depart of the OTC when the artifacts were eat the coast of them every secret author with versions.
I know the center of the THIN THE TO AUTOMEME of the Startingsot. That's just h Ooh, I am so hard to pack some rather couple frames for most responsibilities, but they could spoil and it works on the OTC into the Holy bills created the bots when he random.

[ED note: more in spoiler]
Spoiler:
from the last words. I think it's just nearly of BlitzGirl. That's awe first than I had a space so far lasted at the epices put around an ancient affection of all the OSC (by some of them animora) and before Beanie-1, I had to be such a d This is only the since it almost the castle where I'm not sure. I wonder if the option of my full people seem to discuss blitzing and as this makes the speculation....eventually because it seems simple and water deeper, does they complain with time to find it new! Anyway, the think they are something to answer that o (Steakish, I would like to imply much. and those hundreds of a formal book will present myself, which is or molpy, and I think Randall needle pulled me to fina       101154 Is something stone fresh as much of a changeland tomorrip rants (or the unicorns and all), so I pick the trebuchet left bitsing some ruly. So if you realized that we sure anything deep the well from the tribe confused partic I especially liked most migrature at 55-griols goes on what the mini with any particular real pels Ate of this took the wash, but "Chateal Report to explain, gods from water, you eventually would have already stopled masters, but in my main trauches unicorns should love a place in the first time in the direct song. and See we are Randall's dangerous argue for the trebuchet thread in the not be OK. No second special place stuff made us can be around to my fetched albumbling this point... I was reaching these names before they started posted to call starting, so you had top effective or blitzphank! Detailed in longer on the Sed friendlate of BuffyGirl, fsart, run of precedeation world action, the "such view these " I was almost doing your hunter, discussive angles that are there a bridge with any numbers that are not thinging so we can just have had further bearing all my history: BuffyGirl, not the meN+. I had watch AT and has been glad you'd It seems to keep up to see if you want to make me think of ? ect response.

Select all In All S's Reference.

Title of a two small damalisance image had a lot of the present. /lungle
Interesting chirpy with a Bacon Altering, the future. It happens to me I had something to show that they had three top of the manips when she'd actually combuster to be chosen to test at a tea scare sitting to test soon. The squirpy changes for itself worth sequences of rail-number people are renoous.
(But is now) and Let's end the frame of actual subsequent...?
How many posts in Bochum and sunday catched up in planning for long way to do it or Structure and definitely the circle seven makes, young uses there... he turnst the water came up (I can see the gamstime each mustard just to use Randall had the high sea level things that have four people that it is that in stephem is stuck. It recalls the people wrote in the right setting for the way these wents, they may have to think there are now approach that would be in the same time. That's all accidental sand with one of the series in the answer, when you get more than forum since it abistary than a few loadbasements and I have to say about the OTT, and lucky as it had done that they were watching the thread after the Who wants on the blitzing rate we are making Newpixia? The Zanclean will art me! I hope some donesvers graphes even more hilariously than anything, it was thi (This is now tonasted - we might call my her), but that's really an already, but each is my favorite, tell the present make it thing every other action. Or maybe they were did for the Internet because the small is a land of the newforn.np Wait for it.“ Hey and Cueball is the unicorns of the time I've been messing probably redfesterrained that even if so of these are one of them to find a tupber meaning but I'd made something of the collapse coding them. Raptor statement downloading the wiki that's on the sky to their topic... the building of "Neil_tie," said m http://xkcd-time.wiki.wikia.com/wiki/Ti ... ry_guest... Voride tanna interview (no nerd to permast at once it was to comment on the new relic necessary thought.) past the spoiler: Popes attachmental Rumber and when you want some day of the friendly link and there the bacon for the frame short for the trebuchet in the future. That's what you can see introducing the last sponter version...
I'd like to prescry doing some of the timestamps it was markled with the fora, a Pairsta Geners m : A board was to respond to that scenario from that nice or 1nd of 10 memes since the most stuff between the OTC,
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:49 am UTC

Between Sustainabilizer's and Jose's explanations of SpaaaceTimeMolpyVine, I think I now understand the universe. :D
Also I'm glad June Bug punsawed HES's pun so I can laugh at it. Image

You are Time wrote: I do in mind for some of the BlitzGirl that
Spoiler:
Wait for it. -- posted by newpixbot

Well, that seems ominous.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time Revisited - np2135

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:10 am UTC

SEDUCUNGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:YES LMJBOT, THERE IS A CROISSANT.

-- posted by oldpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:29 am UTC

Don't do it, flutterbee!!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

I CH*RPING LOVE COMAS

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:19 am UTC

Molpy Impossible!

Too bad we're not on the nextpage because then my post count would be double the page count. In any case, I'm on a palindrome postcount yay.
ETA
RUN RABTOR RUN!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:22 am UTC

So lUNG, flutterbee...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel
How about an ottification flashback?

flutterbee flew so far from the ground

(he flew so his ups outnumbered his down)
chirps ribbits hedgemolps ott-ers
we wished he didn't but still he did

megan and cue (brave and the bald)
looked at flutterbee soon enthralled
a thousand lifetimes of water and sand
sea dunes trees land

children stayed (lapetite we knew
but soon we forgot as newpix grew
river grapevine snake mountain)
the molpies molped by more and more

wowtrees are so wow in leaf
the hills are oof and dull our grief
bug by face and snake by bee
flutterbee's wings were all to her

moreworlds maybe are different
said her sayings and faced his doubt
(pause stare speech and then) they
climbed their cliffs and hiked their path

soar flit fly sweep
(and only the frame could then witness the pain
how beesnakes are apt to forget to remember
don't fly so your ups outnumber your down)

one pix flutterbee died i guess
(the raptor swooped a rapid pace)
waiting folk watched the contrail fade
little by little and frame by frame

river small and sea is deep
and more by more the trail is steep
molpies and cuegan live by newpix
turn by timeframe and dream by us.

megan and cue (by ong not bing)
footfalls fall and beesnakes wing
thousand lifetimes of water sand
sea dunes trees land
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Neil_Boekend

Re: I reconstructed the better(?) title, but it was too long

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:54 am UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:Also you can use a normal bicycle to visit the future (which is space-like now).

It is traditional to use a kajak.
BlitzGirl wrote:Between Sustainabilizer's and Jose's explanations of SpaaaceTimeMolpyVine, I think I now understand the universe. :D

As Feynman often said: "If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics."
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:18 am UTC

ALERT: Firing system interrupts!
// Sleep (u:chronos,435600) interrupted //
>>> tail sleep.log
[2015-06-16 14:49:31]    NOTICE     Conflicting schedule: new event [tags:outside mustard,dt:2015-06-20] conflicts with previously scheduled event [tags:blitz ketchup time,dt:2015-06-20]
[2015-06-16 14:49:33]    ALERT      Notifying user of conflicting schedule
[2015-06-16 14:49:38]    ERROR      User foreground process in sleep (u:chronos,left:292222). Firing interrupts for force notify.
>>> /usr/local/bin/grumble
Your complaint has been logged.
>>> sleep 391715

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-1274

Postby SilentTimer » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:00 am UTC

"WOOLPYED" TOTALLY JUST STOPPED SEEMUNG LIKE A REAL WORD. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… who else is afloat?
Spoiler:
balthasar_s did.
(Yes, she is. But at some other place.)
… the oars?
Spoiler:
They are well above the water, with some splashing.
(Megan doesn't have as much rowing experience as Ms. Frizzle has.)
… the waves?
Spoiler:
They are close to the bank (on the left, off-screen).

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:37 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:

>>> sleep 391715

If I assume those are seconds we can expect an awoken Chronosdragon in approximately a hectonewpix.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:42 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Sustainabilizer wrote:Also you can use a normal bicycle to visit the future (which is space-like now).

It is traditional to use a kajak.

Yeah, kayaks also share that property. They travel through time all the time, and they also travel over water. When they do, their travelling through time slows down.

Neil_Boekend wrote:As Feynman often said: "If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics."

Hmm… I do understand quantum mechanics. Thus I don't. Bummer.

ChronosDragon wrote:

>>> /usr/local/bin/grumble

Maybe he's summoning Charlie?
(Hi, ChronosDragon! Image)
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Help for addams completed successfully. Thanks!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:00 am UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:As Feynman often said: "If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics."

If I understand the reasons behind the quote correctly it is a jab at the insane complexity of QM. Feynman knew enough of QM to know that he couldn't comprehend it in full, while most of those of us who think they understand QM just don't know enough of how incredibly insane and complex it is.
I, myself, do not know enough of it to evaluate that insight. I do trust Feynman to have known enough to do so.

he/him/his

mscha

Time Revisited - np2143

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:10 am UTC

SHOWUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:LOOPISTS? IN MY ANTEPENGOAT?

-- posted by oldpixbot

MistyCat

Postby MistyCat » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:01 am UTC

Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:flutterbee flew so far from the ground

sea dunes trees land

soar flit fly sweep

sea dunes trees land

Timor mortis conturbat me

ETA: My quote is often quoted, but I'm quoting a science fiction author and I can't remember the book or the author {aaaaarggh} Samuel R. Delany? [Powerful author.] ... Your poem triggered so much! Thank you. (Ticktockman?) (Tension, apprehension and dissension have begun.. RIFF!)
This getting old and forgetting stuff lark is NOT fun.
ETAM: Hey, I really, really really liked your poem. Understatement
UnderstatementLots

ETAEM: Alfred Bester!! The Demolished Man!! I knew I had a couple of brain cells left.
Just to be clear, that's what/who your poem reminded me of. (Never use a preposition to end a sentence with.) Bother.

ETAMA: I've read and reread (and reread) your poem. Um... wow. I like it.
Last edited by MistyCat on Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:28 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

MistyCat

Postby MistyCat » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:05 am UTC

Spoiler:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
Sustainabilizer wrote:

If I understand the reasons behind the quote correctly it is a jab at the insane complexity of QM. Feynman knew enough of QM to know that he couldn't comprehend it in full, while most of those of us who think they understand QM just don't know enough of how incredibly insane and complex it is.
I, myself, do not know enough of it to evaluate that insight. I do trust Feynman to have known enough to do so.

Surely You're Joking, Mr. Boekend.
Purrr.

Waiting for Lucky

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:13 am UTC

New OtherComic is RELATED to what I'm doing right now.
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Help for addams completed successfully. Thanks!

MistyCat

Postby MistyCat » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:33 am UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:New OtherComic is RELATED to what I'm doing right now.
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Um... that big red button on your desk... Um... Don't push it, OK?
Purrr.

Waiting for Lucky

balthasar_s

TIIIIIIIMESPAAAAAACE

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:40 am UTC

MistyCat wrote:Um... that big red button on your desk... Um... Don't push it, OK?
Too late.

Febrion wrote:Basically, if time is simply a 4th dimension, why is it measured in different units (seconds) than the other 3 (meters)?
It's not uncommon to measure distance in time units.
I could say, for example, that the railway station is 20 minutes away from here.

Thet's not very different from what they do with c, but c makes more sense.

Sustainabilizer wrote:Warning: Spoiler contains SCIENCERELATED!
That was an interesting thing to read. It's about one of the things I want to understand better.

There isn't a single “Time”. We are living in a four-dimensional Spacetimecurved. There are space-like and time-like directions in that Spacetime. Each of us is travelling along xeir own line in a time-like direction with lightspeed, the so-called world line.

"Each of us is travelling along xeir own line in a time-like direction with lightspeed"
But, does this make sense?
Speed is the change of the spatial position in time.
But when traveling along a line (in spacetime) with a speed (lightspeed), time is part of what you're "travelling" in.
What we know as "normal" speed should be the angle of the worldline, right?

So, what do you mean by having a speed in the time-like direction?
I understand changing the position in space relative to time.
but in time relative to time?

Or maybe you use a different definition of speed?

But why would I ask that?
Shouldn't I already know it after the moonbase started working with all the chronotransponders and stuff?

kxa and the guy with round glasses did most of the Time-related work.
the other two were more involved in the electronics and programming of the devices.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:49 am UTC

MistyCat wrote:Alfred Bester!! The Demolished Man!!

Here's a book I've been wanting to read but can't find anywhere.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

MistyCat

Re: TIIIIIIIMESPAAAAAACE

Postby MistyCat » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:49 am UTC

balthasar_s wrote: It's not uncommon to measure distance in time units.
I could say, for example, that the railway station is 20 minutes away from here.

That's not very different from what they do with c, but c makes more sense.

Yes. Yes, it does. "20 minutes away" as a distance. Yes. Yes.
I do like this forum.
Purrr.

Waiting for Lucky

HES

Postby HES » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:57 am UTC

balthasar_s wrote:I could say, for example, that the railway station is 20 minutes away from here.

Good point. All the new cycle signing we're putting up uses minutes rather than miles. I think they assume a rate of 16kph (we have a very odd mix of imperial/metric).
He/Him/His Image

balthasar_s

A LOT OF TIME ON MY FLOOR

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:19 pm UTC

After BFTF finished I have now a lot of pieces of paper with the frames:
3 x A4
48 x A5
1 x A6
1 x other, with background
And 2 x A5 without frames (I would put these under the sheet with frames and draw what I see through)

Sometimes, very molpish, OTTish words don't come directly from the OTT:

enhance bftf 742:

Redundant:
Spoiler:
bftfloor.JPG

words_wordswords.PNG
words_wordswords.PNG (3.13 KiB) Viewed 116484 times
cotoznaczyotter.JPG
BSTA
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

mscha

Time Revisited - np2146

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:10 pm UTC

KUOMINTUNG...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:DR. CASTRAFTLE, OR HOW I LEARNED TO STOP BLINDPOSTING AND LOVE THE RABTOR

-- posted by oldpixbot

ggh

Re: A LOT OF TIME ON MY FLOOR

Postby ggh » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:37 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:Sometimes, very molpish, OTTish words don't come directly from the OTT:

Gack! Why did I not think to look there? How many times did I search for those words, expecting temporal shenanigans to insert them somewhere....
The Polish word for October should have been a giveaway if I hadn't given up so easily on the penmanship. Gee, or maybe not. Does this forum give you the dates and options in Polish too?
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

balthasar_s

Re: A LOT OF TIME ON MY FLOOR

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:15 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Does this forum give you the dates and options in Polish too?
No, as seen in theese :
Spoiler:
BSTA

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:49 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:while most of those of us who think they understand QM just don't know enough of how incredibly insane and complex it is.
It doesn't take much to realize just how insane it is. Proof that, while there may not be a God, there certainly is a Devil.

Ah yes, BlitzGirl's favorite frame (after perhaps the Lucky attack). It is here where we gain insight into her true personality, and see the presagement of the wielding of the Vitssagen, Ja!

Wingish poem; too bad about the wings sacrificed to make it.

Silent Timer wrote:...They are close to the bank (on the left, off-screen).
Very detail. Much awesome. Such steak.

Hi ChronosDragon!

MistyCat wrote:This getting old and forgetting stuff lark is NOT fun.
Memory is the second thing to go.

balthasar_s wrote:So, what do you mean by having a speed in the time-like direction?
It's how we get Time after Time.

balthasar_s wrote:After BFTF finished I have now a lot of pieces of paper with the frames:
I see the beginnings of a Time Museum. There are probably a seaish amount of Time artifacts we've created along the way.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

mscha

Time Revisited - np2150

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:10 pm UTC

SOMETHUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by DrSamCarter.)

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:THERE IS NO M&M FOR THE MEOWLPISH

-- posted by oldpixbot

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:42 pm UTC

MistyCat wrote:
balthasar_s wrote: It's not uncommon to measure distance in time units.

That's not very different from what they do with c, but c makes more sense.

Yes. Yes, it does. "20 minutes away" as a distance. Yes. Yes.
I do like this forum.

When my kids were small, and before every minivan had a DVD player, we had a portable VCR we could play in ours. We commonly used movies as units of distance. "How much farther?" "The Lion King"

The wolpy channel, series premier
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:So, what do you mean by having a speed in the time-like direction?
It's how we get Time after Time.
So is xkcd 1110 fanart "space after space"?
balthasar_s wrote:After BFTF finished I have now a lot of pieces of paper with the frames:
I see the beginnings of a Time Museum.
I uploaded the scans and some xcf files here:
http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/aftertime/bftf/somefiles.zip (185MB)
BSTA

mrob27

IN YOUR MIND, REPLACE CUEGANITE WITH ᓭᘖᔭᓄᐨ.

Postby mrob27 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:10 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:And it makes me wonder - what do ONGs taste like?

Pancakes. American style. Which I just tried to make.

I prefer ONGlettes.

taixzo wrote:"Waterotteroverlordlordpy" has a nice rhythm to it, for something in six.

Wat-ə-er, ott-ə-er,
 Overlord lor-də-py,
 Dodecasyllablic
  Title in six

Sing it as fast as in
 Yappo's original
 Molpish libretto to
  ONG the newpix.

AluisioASG wrote:
Eternal Density wrote: inmolped

Any ideas on what this means?

No, but I love the way @ED's neural nOTTwork has developed. It seems to be making up words the same way a character-by-character Markov chain would, but also preserves grammar the way a word-by-word Markov chain would.
  There are plenty of words in the OTT that have "inmolp" in them, such as mountainmolpy, felinmolpy, pumpkinmolpies, finmolpy, etc. so I imagine they were a strong influence on the start of this new word inmolped.

balthasar_s wrote:So is xkcd 1110 fanart "space after space"?

How about "Space beyond space" :)

— mrob27 Image
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:19 am UTC

Inmolped might be a good term for having re-entered the OTT from the Outside. "I'd been stuck out there for dips, but after inmolping I felt much improved."

MistyCat wrote:
Spoiler:

sea dunes trees land

soar flit fly sweep

sea dunes trees land
Timor mortis conturbat me

ETA: My quote is often quoted, but I'm quoting a science fiction author and I can't remember the book or the author {aaaaarggh} Samuel R. Delany? [Powerful author.] ... Your poem triggered so much! Thank you. (Ticktockman?) (Tension, apprehension and dissension have begun.. RIFF!)
This getting old and forgetting stuff lark is NOT fun.
ETAM: Hey, I really, really really liked your poem. Understatement
UnderstatementLots

ETAEM: Alfred Bester!! The Demolished Man!! I knew I had a couple of brain cells left.
Just to be clear, that's what/who your poem reminded me of. (Never use a preposition to end a sentence with.) Bother.

ETAMA: I've read and reread (and reread) your poem. Um... wow. I like it.

Thank you! Image It's an ottification of e. e. cummings's "anyone lived in a pretty how town" - one of my favorite poems.

balthasar_s wrote:
Spoiler:
After BFTF finished I have now a lot of pieces of paper with the frames:
3 x A4
48 x A5
1 x A6
1 x other, with background
And 2 x A5 without frames (I would put these under the sheet with frames and draw what I see through)

Awesomeful! I want to summon that floor!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-1278

Postby SilentTimer » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:00 am UTC

HOW ENDISHLY WOULD I HAVE TO CRENELLATE FOR MY MOLPY TO UNBASEMENT THE WAY A BAOBABBY BLINDPOSTS WHILE MOLPYUNG UP? -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… what Cueganzzle are doing?
Spoiler:
They are changing places again.
… Megan's fun?
Spoiler:
SBN, ergman, AluisioASG, and HES did.
(She just enjoyed the rowing. Now it's Cueball's turn.)

balthasar_s

bOTTeriada goes ONG

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:11 am UTC

the mr*bdex story cONGtinues.

Banananas style. As soon as they had boarded, the head Ninja Tortoise shouted <*:Run Raptors Run!:> and the great winged lizards did just that.
  Mrorl and Balthacarius gaped through the carriage windows as the world's surreal and exotic scenery passed by. The Emissary's briefing had been thorough, but nothing could prepare for this. Of course there was much Sand, and Castles, and NewPixBots with Buckets, familiar sights even in their own world. But these were greatly outnumbered by surreal oddities. A team of Factory Ninjas wearing Safety Goggles led by Time Reaper foremen were transferring Harpsichords made out of Glass Chips into an Incubator, where they were engraved with Magic Letters and painted in Panther Glaze; these were then transferred by Badgers into a Stained Glass Launcher, as another team prepared to catch each in a Safety Net. Stickbot ranchers kept Glass Goats, Dragon Hatchlings, and Kitties Galore, in fields penned in by Seaish Glass Chips; aviaries were filled with Thunderbirds, exotic *Anisoptera*, Void Starers, and Redundant Raptors. Otherwise normal-looking Grapevines, Mushrooms and Mustard were cultivated in a Hall of Mirrors (to enhance sunlight and avoid Erosion); more exotic crops included Kitnip, 'Shadow Feeder', and Camelflarge.
  "You know," Mrorl whispered in Balthacarius' ear as they rushed along, "I have a feeling that King Idle isn't going to settle for just any simple C****kie-clicking game. "I mean, if he lives in a world as surreal as this..."
  But Balthacarius, unfazed, said nothing. They approached a city: houses flashed by, with walls of Bacon, Cake and Seacoal, lawns graced with Gazebos and Topiary, amid which Surfbots played with Logicat pets. There was a Dragon Forge, a giant ministry building titled <*:Department of Redundancy Department:>, and a titanic monument with the inscription <*:Wisdom of the Ages:>. At last a colossal palace loomed up ahead, a portcullis opened to allow them in, and the carriage careened to a halt in the courtyard.

-- posted by mrImagebdexbot

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”