1563: "Synonym Movies"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

murbard
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:33 pm UTC

Re: 1563: "Synonym Movies"

Postby murbard » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:11 pm UTC

Mine were

    Henry Junior and the burglars of the misplaced chest
    Henry Junior and the church of downfall
    Henry Junior and the ultimate campaign

("Henry Junior and the principality of the glass cranium" was considered, but actually never released)

and

    The womb

(likewise they considered making, "The womb reloaded", and "The womb insurrections" but that never happened)

scienceguy8
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:56 am UTC

Re: 1563: "Synonym Movies"

Postby scienceguy8 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:14 pm UTC

All this talk of movies has me wanting to watch one tonight. Don't know which, though. The Rearing of One's Winged Reptile? All time fave, but seen it recently. Return to the Yet To Happen? A classic, but I can practically quote it. Effective Life-Taking Tool? Hmm. Expire Difficultly? The Exposed Firearm: From the Records of Law Enforcement Mob? Maybe Covert Tough? Same actor in both. Loved his work. Master of slapstick.

Any suggestion? I'm rather stumped, and I'm not sure I'm up for any more Homicide the Madam Scrawled reruns.

KittenKaboodle
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:36 am UTC

Re: 1563: "Synonym Movies"

Postby KittenKaboodle » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:46 am UTC

murbard wrote:("Henry Junior and the principality of the glass cranium" was considered, but actually never released)


Am I missing something? a joke maybe?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Junior_and_the_Principality_of_the_Glass_Cranium says: "was released worldwide on May 22, 2008 to generally positive reviews from critics, although audience reception was more mixed. It was also a financial success, grossing over $786 million worldwide, becoming the franchise's highest-grossing film when not adjusted for inflation, and the second highest-grossing film of 2008"

Sure, if you are the U.S. defense department 3/4 of a billion dollars is just a rounding error, but I'd think that most people would notice something like that, though, on the other hand, I didn't know about the film until this thread :oops:

User avatar
Sprocket
Seymour
Posts: 5951
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:04 pm UTC
Location: impaled on Beck's boney hips.
Contact:

Re: 1563: "Synonym Movies"

Postby Sprocket » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:34 am UTC

It took me waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long to figure out wtf "the jewlery god" meant!
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

User avatar
Sprocket
Seymour
Posts: 5951
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:04 pm UTC
Location: impaled on Beck's boney hips.
Contact:

Re: 1563: "Synonym Movies"

Postby Sprocket » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:40 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:[spoiler]
The Starving Arena, better known as the American version of Japan's Fight Imperial
with cheese.

Macerated orange fantasy.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Positron
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:05 am UTC

Re: 1563: "Synonym Movies"

Postby Positron » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:49 am UTC

Here's some random games (some may be more laboured than others)

Amphibious Sky Application

Vacuum Resident

Masterful: Treacherous

The Triple Ancient Writings: Next Day's Breeze
The Quadruple Ancient Writings: Forgotten realm
The Quintuple Ancient Writings: Edge of Heaven

Wormhole
Dos Wormhole
Tales of the wormhole: Melanie

User avatar
RAGBRAIvet
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:50 pm UTC
Location: 43° 53' 03" -91° 14' 06"

Re: 1563: "Synonym Movies"

Postby RAGBRAIvet » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:54 am UTC

Physician Forbidden
Siberian-Sent and Accompanied by Amour
Digit Of Precious Yellow Metal
Rumbling Orb
The Subject Does Not Exist A Third Time
Attending to the Monarch's Clandestine Needs
Crystalline Carbon is Eternal
Exist As Well As Permit To Perish
The Secret Snooper That Romanced The One Who Is Speaking in the First Person
Lunar Leaf-Gatherer
Meant To Be Seen By Only You
Eight Cats
Do Not Utter A Refusal Anon
Vista of a Life-Taking
Animate Visual Solar Radiation
Official Certificate Permitting the Taking of Life
Gilded Optical Organ
The Next 24 Hours Lives Forever
The Third Rock From The Sun Is Insufficient
Cease Living At Any Future 24-Hour Period
Ostentatious Gambling Facility
Comfort In The Least Amount
Firmament Succumbing to Gravity
Ghost-like Being

Spoiler:
The Bond films:  Dr. No; From Russia With Love; Goldfinger; Thunderball; You Only Live Twice; On Her Majesty's Secret Service; Diamonds Are Forever; Live And Let Die; The Spy Who Loved Me; Moonraker; For Your Eyes Only; Octopussy; Never Say Never Again; A View To A Kill; The Living Daylights; License To Kill; GoldenEye; Tomorrow Never Dies; The World Is Not Enough; Die Another Day; Casino Royale; Quantum of Solace; Skyfall; Spectre
Last edited by RAGBRAIvet on Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Eshru
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:51 am UTC

Re: 1563: "Synonym Movies"

Postby Eshru » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:06 am UTC

I'm enjoying the Last Reverie 14, but I'm looking forward to the next Reprecussion game.

KittenKaboodle, I genuinely can't tell if you are trolling, have been trolled, or genuinely are part of the 10k. Congrats!

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 3099
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1563: "Synonym Movies"

Postby orthogon » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:17 am UTC

RAGBRAIvet wrote:Spectre

OK, there's an example of what I'm talking about: Spectre and Ghost are movies with synonymous titles. If you went the Roget's Thesaurus route, you could include Poltergeist etc. Then you could have a comic "At home with the Rogets". First frame: "Darling, have you reorganised the DVDs again?" Second frame: view of the DVD shelves with titles arranged as though they were entries in the eponymous tome. It would work best if the words were roughly synonymous but the genres completely disparate. Maybe Taken and Kidnapped could appear alongside Spirited Away.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

speising
Posts: 2363
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:54 pm UTC
Location: wien

Re: 1563: "Synonym Movies"

Postby speising » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:47 am UTC

Commander and Master

ebow
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:16 pm UTC
Location: Chair

Re: 1563: "Synonym Movies"

Postby ebow » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:09 pm UTC

speising wrote:Commander and Master


That's some top-notch synonym snark.

rmsgrey
Posts: 3652
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: 1563: "Synonym Movies"

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:02 pm UTC

KittenKaboodle wrote:
murbard wrote:("Henry Junior and the principality of the glass cranium" was considered, but actually never released)


Am I missing something? a joke maybe?


http://www.xkcd.com/566/

It's an established part of xkcd lore that certain movies do not exist (despite the presence of Wikipedia articles, DVDs, Blu Rays, and other circumstantial evidence) because they, were they to exist, would sully the name of a franchise. Another example is the Highlander franchise (turns out "there can be only one" was talking about more than just the immortals)

User avatar
Someguy945
Posts: 190
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:09 am UTC

Re: 1563: "Synonym Movies"

Postby Someguy945 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:34 pm UTC

Panda-s1 wrote:Everyone hates "The Scary Ghost", but for me "Duplicate Assaults" was the worst.


I agree. Scary Ghost, while juvenile, tells a complete story with a beginning, middle, and end. It functions as a standalone movie if you've never seen any of the others. Of course it couldn't live up to the hype, but there are plenty of worse movies.

Duplicate Assaults on the other hand is just a train wreck.

Zylon
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:37 pm UTC

Re: 1563: "Synonym Movies"

Postby Zylon » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:34 pm UTC

Today I learned that Randall doesn't really know (or care) what a synonym actually is.

User avatar
pkcommando
Posts: 573
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:22 pm UTC
Location: Allston, MA

Re: 1563: "Synonym Movies"

Postby pkcommando » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:34 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:It's an established part of xkcd lore that certain movies do not exist (despite the presence of Wikipedia articles, DVDs, Blu Rays, and other circumstantial evidence) because they, were they to exist, would sully the name of a franchise. Another example is the Highlander franchise (turns out "there can be only one" was talking about more than just the immortals)

That's the way I feel about the second movie in the Cease Living With Great Difficulty franchise.

AndrewGPaul
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:02 pm UTC

Re: 1563: "Synonym Movies"

Postby AndrewGPaul » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:34 pm UTC

KarenRei wrote:Okay, I'll try my own: "22094965.402 Sub-Hadal Chains"


Spoiler:
20,000 leagues under the sea? I assume the number is rods, and 1 league = 3 nautical miles. I can't figure out where the original 45619200000 comes from; that works out at 240,000 leagues using 1 league = 3 statute miles?

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 3099
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1563: "Synonym Movies"

Postby orthogon » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:59 pm UTC

Oh, Sub-Hadal Chains. I thought it was some physics thing and you were talking about that movie 5.7456Ms.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

ebow
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:16 pm UTC
Location: Chair

Re: 1563: "Synonym Movies"

Postby ebow » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:41 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:Oh, Sub-Hadal Chains. I thought it was some physics thing and you were talking about that movie 5.7456Ms.

?
Spoiler:
9.5 Weeks?
66.5 Days?
1596 Hours?

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 3099
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1563: "Synonym Movies"

Postby orthogon » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:53 pm UTC

ebow wrote:
orthogon wrote:Oh, Sub-Hadal Chains. I thought it was some physics thing and you were talking about that movie 5.7456Ms.

?
Spoiler:
9.5 Weeks?
66.5 Days?
1596 Hours?

Yes, one of those. Not to be confused with 86.4ks or T+2.4192Ms.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

ebow
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:16 pm UTC
Location: Chair

Re: 1563: "Synonym Movies"

Postby ebow » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:01 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
ebow wrote:
orthogon wrote:Oh, Sub-Hadal Chains. I thought it was some physics thing and you were talking about that movie 5.7456Ms.

?
Spoiler:
9.5 Weeks?
66.5 Days?
1596 Hours?

Yes, one of those. Not to be confused with 86.4ks or T+2.4192Ms.


IMDB.com to the rescue. I suppose I've heard of 5.7456Ms, but it's a bit before my movie-watching days began and not in my set of genres, so it didn't come to mind.

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 3099
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1563: "Synonym Movies"

Postby orthogon » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:06 pm UTC

Is it that old? I still think of it as one of those recent films I haven't got around to seeing yet...
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5588
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1563: "Synonym Movies"

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:53 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I quite liked the original Doorway to Heaven movie, but honestly the spinoff TV series Doorway to Heaven: The First DH Team really built the fictional world up much better (the early seasons more than the later... recurring un-cancellation from seasons 8-10 kinda screwed it up then). The spinoff to that series, Doorway to Heaven: Daughter of the Bearer of the Heavens, was alright, but didn't live up to the original series. The last series Doorway to Heaven: All Of The Heavens got cancelled just as it was getting good so I guess we'll never know how it would have turned out.
Oh and I guess I forgot to mention the direct-to-video movies, Doorway to Heaven: The Box of Facts and Doorway to Heaven: It's Still Going On (alternately: Doorway to Heaven: Non-Discrete Manifold). I thought they were good enough, though really could (and should) have just been two-parter episodes in The First DH Team.

And I'm disappointed that we're never going to get the other two direct-to-video movies that were planned, Doorway to Heaven: Around And Around and Doorway to Heaven: We're All Gonna Die.

I was gonna call it Space Door: Prime Goers, Space Door: Wet City, And Space Door: Everywhere. I thing you did much better.
You're right about the direct to-video movies.

-
I'm extremely sad that there isn't a third (and beyond) season of Executioner: Tales of the Strong-Willed Princess
(also, I never considered what the name meant before, it's very appropriate for the Mother of the Future Saviour of Humanity)


For games: Silicate MoundFortress Constructor
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 5474
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1563: "Synonym Movies"

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:16 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:I quite liked the original Doorway to Heaven movie...

I was gonna call it Space Door: Prime Goers, Space Door: Wet City, And Space Door: Everywhere. I thing you did much better.

Thanks. "Space Door" would be more in keeping with the names in the comic, but I couldn't resist "Doorway to Heaven" since it was actually used in the movie itself as an alternate (apparently less accurate) translation of the original name for the titular artifact. Also when looking up the etymology of the proper noun in the second TV series' name, finding that "Heaven" was in there, and realizing that "Heavens" could also be used in the title of the third series, just made it even more irresistible.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5588
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1563: "Synonym Movies"

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:39 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:I quite liked the original Doorway to Heaven movie...

I was gonna call it Space Door: Prime Goers, Space Door: Wet City, And Space Door: Everywhere. I thing you did much better.

Thanks. "Space Door" would be more in keeping with the names in the comic, but I couldn't resist "Doorway to Heaven" since it was actually used in the movie itself as an alternate (apparently less accurate) translation of the original name for the titular artifact. Also when looking up the etymology of the proper noun in the second TV series' name, finding that "Heaven" was in there, and realizing that "Heavens" could also be used in the title of the third series, just made it even more irresistible.

All this talk of doors reminds me of the game Uncountable Life Surprise, and the movie Business of Scarers.
"I can see all the doors, and what's behind all the doors."
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
Sprocket
Seymour
Posts: 5951
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:04 pm UTC
Location: impaled on Beck's boney hips.
Contact:

Re: 1563: "Synonym Movies"

Postby Sprocket » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:54 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
RAGBRAIvet wrote:Spectre

OK, there's an example of what I'm talking about: Spectre and Ghost are movies with synonymous titles. If you went the Roget's Thesaurus route, you could include Poltergeist etc. Then you could have a comic "At home with the Rogets". First frame: "Darling, have you reorganised the DVDs again?" Second frame: view of the DVD shelves with titles arranged as though they were entries in the eponymous tome. It would work best if the words were roughly synonymous but the genres completely disparate. Maybe Taken and Kidnapped could appear alongside Spirited Away.

SHOW Don't TELL!
(AKA draw it!) :-D
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

RogueCynic
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:23 pm UTC

Re: 1563: "Synonym Movies"

Postby RogueCynic » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:10 am UTC

I heard The Adult Catepillar Result wasn't that good. Moan's Mobile Keep was interesting.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

Tova
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:44 am UTC

Re: 1563: "Synonym Movies"

Postby Tova » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:38 am UTC

"So, I have this idea for a great movie. It's about two gnomes who find a bracelet of power ..."

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5588
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1563: "Synonym Movies"

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:43 am UTC

Return For Events That Haven't Happened Yet
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
pkcommando
Posts: 573
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:22 pm UTC
Location: Allston, MA

Re: 1563: "Synonym Movies"

Postby pkcommando » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:56 am UTC

RogueCynic wrote:I heard The Adult Catepillar Result wasn't that good. Moan's Mobile Keep was interesting.

The first one was okay. The second ---- you almost force yourself to forget it. I have heard of legends and half-mad whispers coming from dark places, mumbled by the deepest of elder things, that there was a third.

User avatar
cellocgw
Posts: 2067
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Re: 1563: "Synonym Movies"

Postby cellocgw » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:38 pm UTC

Zylon wrote:Today I learned that Randall doesn't really know (or care) what a synonym actually is.


Don't be evil. //runs away fast to avoid trademark lawyers.

You oughtta know (//oops, now a copyright infringement) that Randall absolutely chose not to care about the strict definition of " synonym." So I'll try to make you feel better with this discussion of synonyms.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

User avatar
cellocgw
Posts: 2067
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Re: 1563: "Synonym Movies"

Postby cellocgw » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:40 pm UTC

pkcommando wrote:That's the way I feel about the second movie in the Cease Living With Great Difficulty franchise.


Uh-oh: I parsed that as "stop letting your life be full of difficulties," which suggests, weakly, certain other films (La Dolce Vita, perhaps?)
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Noughmad
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:38 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: 1563: "Synonym Movies"

Postby Noughmad » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:42 pm UTC

I am really bothered by the fact that Return of the Jedi and Return of the King are translated differently.
Laziness is the mother of wisdom.
My woblag

Mikeski
Posts: 1112
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:24 am UTC
Location: Minnesota, USA

Re: 1563: "Synonym Movies"

Postby Mikeski » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:12 am UTC

Noughmad wrote:I am really bothered by the fact that Return of the Jedi and Return of the King are translated differently.

In a comic about synonyms, you're "really bothered" by the fact that there are more than two ways to say something?


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 55 guests