In other news... (humorous news items)

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

commodorejohn
Posts: 1197
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:21 pm UTC
Location: Placerville, CA
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby commodorejohn » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:51 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:Granted, I doubt that this was actually an accident, but still.

Well, that's the point, isn't it?
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

User avatar
SDK
Posts: 703
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 7:40 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby SDK » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:59 pm UTC

In this case it was explicitly not an accident. Before he'd even chosen anyone he promised to make it 50/50 for gender with at least one from each region and something something immigrants and aboriginals. He followed up on his promise.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

elasto
Posts: 3778
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:53 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby elasto » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:53 am UTC

Thought I'd post a good-news story for once:

Ethiopia has seen a massive cut in its fertility rate, from an average of seven children per woman in the 1990s to 4.6 currently. But how has it managed this?

Experts say the country has made this turnaround because of a combination of factors.

"Women stay longer in school, the standard of living is increasing so people don't want to have too many children and more importantly, family planning is becoming more popular," explains Faustin Yao, the United Nation Population Fund (UNFPA) representative to Ethiopia.

The country's economy is among the fastest growing in the world, and as the quality of life improves, people tend to have fewer children.

Muluwork Tesfaye, a nurse in Addis Ababa, says she could not afford to support a large family in the capital. The mother of two grew up in a family of eight and her parents struggled to provide for them. "My husband is the one who took me to college," she says. "I wanted a better life for my children."

In the capital, Addis Ababa, the fertility rate is estimated to be 1.7 - lower than the rate needed to keep the population steady. More educated women and a higher cost of living often mean fertility rates are lower in urban areas.

In Ethiopia, the availability of contraceptives has also played a big role. "The increase in contraceptive use during 2000-2011 emerged as the single most important source for the recorded decline in TFR (Total Fertility Rate)," said a UNFPA report. However, a quarter of all women who need contraceptives are still not able to get them.

Rural areas have also recorded a decline in the number of children per woman, albeit slower.

Ayenalem Daw, a mother of six living in Weyo Rafu Hargisa village about a four-hour-drive out of Addis Ababa, is in her late thirties. She says if she had heard about family planning earlier, she would have had four children.

Women in her village hold regular meetings called "shene" to discuss contraception and other health issues.

"Things are changing now. I think my children will have only two babies each," says Mrs Ayenalem.

Health extension workers also regularly provide health education in the villages, including information about contraception to those who need it. The programme entails home visits by government-employed community workers who engage families on a one-on-one basis.

The big leap in contraception use between 2000 and 2011 is largely attributed to health extension workers. This was also helped by an increase in the number of girls going to school over the same period.

"We go to the churches and mosques to talk to people about family planning," said one of the women in the village of Hunta, in the Oromiya region. While it is known that the major religions in Ethiopia - Orthodox and Muslims - do not openly approve of family planning, the health workers said religious leaders were generally supportive of their work.


I think it's a generally accepted fact that female education and empowerment lead to falling fertility rates - which is what the planet needs - but it's always good to have it confirmed.

link

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11265
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:23 pm UTC

elasto wrote:I think it's a generally accepted fact that female education and empowerment lead to the gradual extinction of the human race.

I mean, it's just math. Soon women will be so smart THERE WON'T BE ANY BABIES AT ALL!

morriswalters
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby morriswalters » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:04 pm UTC

Sex trumps math.

User avatar
Diemo
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:43 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Diemo » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:24 pm UTC

YOU TAKE THAT BACK
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

HungryHobo
Posts: 1708
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:01 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby HungryHobo » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:24 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:Then again, real-life ministers are not usually bumbling idiots.


I think that's highly debatable.

The UK has had health ministers who believe homeopathy works.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tomch ... thy-works/

One of my friends is disgusted that her MP is regularly pushing the view that horrorscopes should be used in the NHS.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/nhs/114 ... ry-MP.html

These people are the norm, not the exception.

You scoff at Yes Minister but it's all too true. The UK government had/has very few scientists and lots of people who studied useless status-symbol subjects like classics.

https://youtu.be/Tobxmn6A1SU?t=369
Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish. Teach a man to fish, you give up your monopoly on fisheries.

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10548
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:56 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
elasto wrote:I think it's a generally accepted fact that female education and empowerment lead to the gradual extinction of the human race.

I mean, it's just math. Soon women will be so smart THERE WON'T BE ANY BABIES AT ALL!


Nah, learning math is a great way for women to learn how to multiply.

User avatar
Djehutynakht
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:51 pm UTC

In an apparent move to aspire towards Hollywood-style villainy, Indonesia has proposed to build a prison guarded by crocodiles.

Apparently he believes in the moral goodness of crocodiles and their apparent immunity to bribery.

I'm sure we'll find a way to bribe crocodiles. It's only a matter of time...

User avatar
Dauric
Posts: 3998
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:58 pm UTC
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Dauric » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:56 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:I'm sure we'll find a way to bribe crocodiles. It's only a matter of time...


Easy, bribe them with a tasty looking inmate. Y'know, one that runs slower than you.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Mambrino
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:45 pm UTC
Location: No we don't have polar bears. Except in zoos.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Mambrino » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:12 am UTC


User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10548
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:59 pm UTC

So. Chipotle has closed down its locations in Washington and Oregon due to E. coli. I've got $20 on the source being an organic supplier. Let's say, idk, the spinach artichoke dip for the long shot. Anyone want to take that bet?

morriswalters
Posts: 7073
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:21 am UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby morriswalters » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:03 pm UTC

Do they use any non organic suppliers?

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10548
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:20 pm UTC

They do, they just refuse non gmo food. But if the Seattle one only uses organic, my money is on the spinach or another leafy vegetable.

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11265
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:34 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:They do, they just refuse non gmo food.

So they only use GMO food?

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10548
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:38 pm UTC

I mean the only use non gmo food. Typo, on a phone. Not all of their food is organic necessarily.

User avatar
Dauric
Posts: 3998
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:58 pm UTC
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Dauric » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:55 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote: Not all of their food is organic necessarily.


I'm always amused by the use of 'organic' in this context. As if the alternative was "inorganic".

I know it's popular slang for foods that are not modified by direct DNA manipulation (as opposed to all the other forms of species manipulation we've engaged in over the millennia...) but I'm amused by the mental image of food made from rocks.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Tyndmyr
Posts: 11443
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:59 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:
CorruptUser wrote: Not all of their food is organic necessarily.


I'm always amused by the use of 'organic' in this context. As if the alternative was "inorganic".

I know it's popular slang for foods that are not modified by direct DNA manipulation (as opposed to all the other forms of species manipulation we've engaged in over the millennia...) but I'm amused by the mental image of food made from rocks.


Eh, not...exactly. GMO/non GMO isn't the same thing as organic/not organic.

A lot of it revolves around the not using of..."chemicals". Yeah, it still doesn't make lot of sense if you think about it, but it's basically naturalism writ large.

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7573
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby phlip » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:50 pm UTC

(Naturalism is the other thing... meaning as opposed to supernaturalism. I don't know of a good "-ism"-style word for what you meant, though... I've heard "chemphobia"/"techphobia" but not really a fan of those.)

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Tyndmyr
Posts: 11443
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:53 pm UTC

phlip wrote:(Naturalism is the other thing... meaning as opposed to supernaturalism. I don't know of a good "-ism"-style word for what you meant, though... I've heard "chemphobia"/"techphobia" but not really a fan of those.)


Yeah. It's an awkward ideology. I was trying to use a more neutral term than "hippie luddites", but....yeah.

KrytenKoro
Posts: 1487
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:58 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby KrytenKoro » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:22 am UTC

Naturalisticity? After the naturalistic fallacy.
From the elegant yelling of this compelling dispute comes the ghastly suspicion my opposition's a fruit.

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10548
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:28 am UTC

That's it. In the "organic vs GMO" debate, the only two sides visible are the hippie douchebag Whole Foods spiritualists and the mega-corporate McDonald's sociopaths. But what about those of us who actually like the idea of GMO food but actually do care about the environment and all those feel goody "social justice" issues but want to approach it from a scientific view? I'm creating a fast food joint that advertises that it uses GMO foods. Mostly Golden Rice and the Hawaiian papayas, because the bastards at Green Peace have put up such a resistance to GMO food that we can't have more nice things. But anyway, the uniforms will be lab coats, the burgers will be made by the robotic assembly line thing, and we will openly promote that we will adopt lattice-meats as soon as they are viable.

Would anyone here Kickstart me if I was serious?

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7573
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby phlip » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:34 am UTC

KrytenKoro wrote:Naturalisticity? After the naturalistic fallacy.
The naturalistic fallacy is, also, a different thing... related to naturalism (specifically, the applying of naturalism to ethics, which many hold as fallacious).

The two fallacies are so commonly confused that the Wikipedia pages about Naturalism have "are you sure you're not looking for [[appeal to nature]]?" all over the place in the lede...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10548
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:35 am UTC

Phlip, are you used to a different wiki? A more rational one, perhaps?

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7573
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby phlip » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:38 am UTC

No, just spent so much time getting the terms wrong myself, and being annoyed at how confusing they are... it's grown into a pet peeve of mine.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10548
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:50 am UTC

Nono, I mean the formatting. Anyway, I too have a history of getting the two confused. Indeed, fucking annoying...

Also, just fixed the wikipedia page to include the confusion at the top...

User avatar
Diadem
Posts: 5654
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Diadem » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:37 am UTC

phlip wrote:
KrytenKoro wrote:Naturalisticity? After the naturalistic fallacy.
The naturalistic fallacy is, also, a different thing... related to naturalism (specifically, the applying of naturalism to ethics, which many hold as fallacious).

The two fallacies are so commonly confused that the Wikipedia pages about Naturalism have "are you sure you're not looking for [[appeal to nature]]?" all over the place in the lede...

Just because some philosopher over a century ago used a term in some specific way doesn't mean no one else is ever allowed to use it ever again in another way.

Honestly using the term 'naturalistic fallacy' for an appeal to nature ("x is natural, therefore good") is a much more logical use of the term than what Wikipedia describes. Not least because that is not a fallacy at all. It's a nice trick though. I wonder, is there a name for the fallacy where you fallaciously call your opponents argument a fallacy in an attempt to discredit them?
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:03 am UTC

Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
Diadem
Posts: 5654
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Diadem » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:40 am UTC

No. That's: "You say x -> y. This argument is fallacious. so y must be false" in cases where the argument really is fallacious.
I'm asking about "You say x -> y. This is fallacious" in cases where the argument isn't fallacious.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

User avatar
Diemo
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:43 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Diemo » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:35 pm UTC

I don't think we read the same link. . .

Anyway you should call it a fallacy fallacy, cos repeating words is cool!

Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo!
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:39 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:I'm asking about "You say x -> y. This is fallacious" in cases where the argument isn't fallacious.
Ah, I see. Well in that case is it not just a fallacy? Since you're making a point about the argument. If you're using a false fallacy in your argument, then "Argument from False Fallasy" seems to fit.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

KrytenKoro
Posts: 1487
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:58 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby KrytenKoro » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:30 pm UTC

phlip wrote:
KrytenKoro wrote:Naturalisticity? After the naturalistic fallacy.
The naturalistic fallacy is, also, a different thing... related to naturalism (specifically, the applying of naturalism to ethics, which many hold as fallacious).

The two fallacies are so commonly confused that the Wikipedia pages about Naturalism have "are you sure you're not looking for [[appeal to nature]]?" all over the place in the lede...

I know, but it's still pretty similar, and I thought "appealtonaturism" sounded awful.

We've already got naturism meaning nudism and naturalism meaning empiricism, I don't think we'd be much hurt fudging the connotations a bit.

Not sure if that makes it any better, though.

I don't think we read the same link. . .

Anyway you should call it a fallacy fallacy, cos repeating words is cool!

Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo!

Just don't get it confused with the Phallusy Fallacy, where the opponent insists their evidence is on an NSFW site, and you're still at work.
From the elegant yelling of this compelling dispute comes the ghastly suspicion my opposition's a fruit.

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10548
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:45 pm UTC

I thought the "fallacy fallacy" was "X -> Y uses fallacious argument, therefore not Y".

For example

Person 1:
Apple has 5 letters
Fruit also has 5 letters
Therefore an apple is a fruit

Person 2:
That uses terrible logic
Therefore apples are not fruit

Is a fallacy fallacy.

User avatar
Suzaku
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 10:20 am UTC
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Suzaku » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:12 pm UTC

I believe CU is correct regarding the 'fallacy fallacy'.

The other situation you mention, Diadem:
Person1:
All swans are white.
Odette is a swan.
Therefore Odette is white.

Person2:
That argument is fallacious.
Therefore something.

Person2 has not (necessarily) committed a fallacy, which is an error in logic. In fact, neither person has. Both have committed errors of fact ("All swans are white," is not true, nor is person2's statement).

If person2 says:
That argument is fallacious.
Therefore you're wrong.

Then they commit both an error of fact, and the fallacy fallacy.
Pronouns: he/him/his > they/them/their >> it/it/its
Time Zone: JST (UTC+9)
─────────────────────────
Some guy on the Internet wrote:The thing about the inevitable, it has a bad habit of actually happening.

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10548
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:47 am UTC

Ah, the difference between being logically valid and logically sound...

Tyndmyr
Posts: 11443
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:15 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:That's it. In the "organic vs GMO" debate, the only two sides visible are the hippie douchebag Whole Foods spiritualists and the mega-corporate McDonald's sociopaths. But what about those of us who actually like the idea of GMO food but actually do care about the environment and all those feel goody "social justice" issues but want to approach it from a scientific view? I'm creating a fast food joint that advertises that it uses GMO foods. Mostly Golden Rice and the Hawaiian papayas, because the bastards at Green Peace have put up such a resistance to GMO food that we can't have more nice things. But anyway, the uniforms will be lab coats, the burgers will be made by the robotic assembly line thing, and we will openly promote that we will adopt lattice-meats as soon as they are viable.

Would anyone here Kickstart me if I was serious?


Toss in rewards like tasty science food, and I'm on board.

Sorry for accidentally starting a digression on fallacies. The "nature is best" thing isn't...exactly a fallacy. Just a strange worldview. Plenty of poisons are natural as shit. Nature has all kinds of elements we dislike. So, I view the outlook as kind of stupid...but a person with such a viewpoint can of course construct a logically correct argument. Plenty of good things in nature, too, after all. The issue is with their focus, and how they filter which topics to consider and construct evidence from.

User avatar
ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb
Posts: 929
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby ObsessoMom » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:52 pm UTC

I don't think it's stupid to not want to be a guinea pig for demonstrably wonderful new stuff that doesn't have a very long track record. Demonstrably wonderful new stuff often has unforeseen negative consequences, some of which aren't discovered for years.

My brother-in-law's grandfather had heart problems in the 1960s, and his doctor told him to replace all the natural fats in his diet with vegetable shortening. I.e., trans fats. In retrospect, the change to a trans-fat-laden diet may have hastened his demise. Not his fault for following the most up-to-date medical advice of the time, and not his doctor's fault, either...and not even the fault of the scientists who developed trans fats. It's the fault of some consequences of new developments not being immediately recognizable.

So yeah, plenty of "natural" stuff is harmful, too. But scientists have had a longer time to document problems with that stuff. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't know.

DSenette
Posts: 2418
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby DSenette » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:57 pm UTC

is that with regards to GMOs? because...we...as humans, have been generally GMing the SHIT out of Os for, I dunno, thousands upon thousands of years.

just because SOMETIMES that's done in a lab, doesn't change the effective safety of the products.
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

User avatar
doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself
Posts: 5538
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:31 am UTC
Location: Lexington, MA
Contact:

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby doogly » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:01 pm UTC

The main concern I would have is that the corporations involved may not have a lot of integrity and diligence with testing and reporting. Genetic engineering of foodstuffs is less of an issue in general. More that Monsato et al may be evil, or at least a bit dishonest. There is no data that suggests GMOs are unhealthy, but we may not be collecting or seeing all relevant data.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

User avatar
Whizbang
The Best Reporter
Posts: 2238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: In other news... (humorous news items, etc)

Postby Whizbang » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:14 pm UTC

ObsessoMom wrote:Better the devil you know than the devil you don't know.


I'd like some people's opinions on the above expression.

On the one hand, any information is better than no information (which is better than bad information). So, taken in that light it is better to base your actions off the limited information at hand. In the case of the trans fat scenario above, the obvious right choice was to follow the science of the day. The reason it was the right choice was not because the conclusion (trans fat = good for heart) was true, because it wasn't, but because that conclusion had a greater likelihood for being true than uninvestigated alternatives.

On the other hand, staying on the bleeding edge of research and invention is just asking for trouble. Obviously new science is new and so there is a large chance that not all variables were accounted for or long term effects weren't measured or whatever.

So where is the preferred/recommended line between keeping current with new science and recklessly taking action on underdeveloped science?


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: arbiteroftruth and 14 guests