1687: "World War III+"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

sardia

1687: "World War III+"

Postby sardia » Mon May 30, 2016 4:26 am UTC

Alt text: I hate how the media only ever uses the first part of this quote, stripping it of its important context.

What does the alt text mean? I never heard the media misquote this one.

Brilliand

Re: 1387: "World War III+"

Postby Brilliand » Mon May 30, 2016 4:50 am UTC

The media only uses the first two lines of that... the alt text is complaining that it doesn't include the other six lines.

I been racking my brain for a way for Einstein to be right about this, but... I'm pretty sure he wasn't. World War 3 won't eliminate the technology used to fight it, unless the victors want it to.

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Mon May 30, 2016 4:51 am UTC

If only we fought our world wars with rocks, paper, and scissors.

sotanaht

Postby sotanaht » Mon May 30, 2016 5:24 am UTC

Brilliand wrote:The media only uses the first two lines of that... the alt text is complaining that it doesn't include the other six lines.

I been racking my brain for a way for Einstein to be right about this, but... I'm pretty sure he wasn't. World War 3 won't eliminate the technology used to fight it, unless the victors want it to.

In MAD, there are no victors.

His belief was that the weapons of war would be so devastating as to wipe out civilization entirely. Sticks and stones is an exaggeration, there would be plenty of salvage if the destruction allowed any survivors, but it would greatly set back all technology.

Or he could have meant that WWIII would wipe out humanity as a whole, and the next world war would be fought by whatever eventually evolved in our place and invented its own weapons, starting with sticks and stones.

Tova

Postby Tova » Mon May 30, 2016 5:47 am UTC

I love it when http://www.explainxkcd.com is forced to resort to a literal explanation of what happened in the comic because there is no hope of explaining why it might be funny.

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon May 30, 2016 6:20 am UTC

Brilliand wrote:The media only uses the first two lines of that... the alt text is complaining that it doesn't include the other six lines.

...The whole quote is only 2 lines. What a lame alt text.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Mon May 30, 2016 7:04 am UTC

Yes? Thus the joke. Alt text is repeating the joke of the comic to an extent, but there are so very many short snippets that get popularly quoted out of context, and so very often people to complain about them, that I like the idea of the alternate universe where this is one.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Mon May 30, 2016 8:27 am UTC

sardia wrote:

You're about 300 strips behind. :P
any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

Wheeljack

Postby Wheeljack » Mon May 30, 2016 8:51 am UTC

Makes me think of Bertolt Brecht's poem that's quoted every so often. People usually only quote the first line.

What if they gave a war and nobody came?
Why, then, the war would come to you!
He who stays home when the fight begins
And lets another fight for his cause
Should take care:
He who does not take part
In the battle will share in the defeat.
Even avoiding battle will not avoid battle.
Since not to fight for your own cause
Really means
Fighting on behalf of your enemy's cause.

Edit: oh great... and I messed up quoting this, too :oops:
Last edited by Wheeljack on Mon May 30, 2016 11:09 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Rombobjörn

Postby Rombobjörn » Mon May 30, 2016 9:11 am UTC

I've seen the quote where Einstein says that world war four will be fought with sticks and stones. I've also seen a version where he says "the next war after that" instead of "world war four". I think the second version is more accurate, because I think Einstein understood that a world war is impossible without technology. A war fought with sticks and stones can only be a small, local war.

Rossegacebes

Postby Rossegacebes » Mon May 30, 2016 9:45 am UTC

Wheeljack wrote:Makes me think of Bertholt Brecht's poem that's quoted every so often. People usually only quote the first line.

What if they gave a war and nobody came?
Why, then, the war would come to you!

Sorry, wrong quote. He never wrote that.

The origin of the quote is explained here http://www.quotecounterquote.com/2011/1 ... -came.html .

Brecht's long poem is "Koloman Wallisch Kantate" (http://vsstoe-leoben.at/?p=896). The relevant lines, translated, give:

"When the people are disarmed
War will come.
[...]
He who stays home when the fight begins
And lets others fight for his cause
Should take care. He who does not take part
In the battle will share in the defeat.
Even avoiding battle does not avoid
Battle, since not to fight for your cause
Really means
Fighting on behalf of your enemy's cause."

Kalium_Puceon

Postby Kalium_Puceon » Mon May 30, 2016 9:51 am UTC

Rombobjörn wrote:I've seen the quote where Einstein says that world war four will be fought with sticks and stones. I've also seen a version where he says "the next war after that" instead of "world war four". I think the second version is more accurate, because I think Einstein understood that a world war is impossible without technology. A war fought with sticks and stones can only be a small, local war.

I wonder if you could conceivably build a trebuchet with intercontinental range. Then sticks and stones could absolutely take part in a world war.

But also, The World Wars weren't completely worldwide. Both of the American continents, the southern half of Africa and a bunch of other places didn't even participate in the first world war unless they were colonies. Second world war, yeah, that had fighting all over and also from many different nations.
"You never get over the desire to do stupid things. You simply have to overrule your stupid urges with an acquired sense of fear."

-Dr. Richard Weisiger

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon May 30, 2016 11:46 am UTC

Kalium_Puceon wrote:I wonder if you could conceivably build a trebuchet with intercontinental range.
Sounds like What-If fodder... Material strengths of wood and bindings, (in)economies of scale, necessary release velocity of the launched ICBB (Inter-Contintental Ballistic Boulder) and what happens to the area around the launch-site if this is accomplished.

But also, The World Wars weren't completely worldwide. Both of the American continents, the southern half of Africa and a bunch of other places didn't even participate in the first world war unless they were colonies.
I didn't know the United States were still a colony... Did Woodrow Wilson know this? ;)

Second world war, yeah, that had fighting all over and also from many different nations.
Actual fighting might have affected more of the Earth's surface (including seas), but diitto as per WW1 on the other point, basically, with a few substitutions and side-swappings. Neutral splodges were drowned out by participatory territories in both instances, whether early (the Sino-Japanese conflict, that seamlessly seagued into WW2 proper) or late (US official participation, both times, though its citizens had joined up in initially belligerant countries' forces1 prior to this, regardless), and even neutral countries often had participation to some degree or other (citizens of the pre-Republic Ireland, during 'The Emergency', say, both pro-British and pro-German (i.e.anti-British) in aspration).

1 To both sides, actually, whilst it was still a personal decision based perhaps on personal descendence and political conscience, and national policy had not yet actually committed to the fight. Although Central/Axis-powers involvement was remarkably low. Or fortuitously under-reported, in the light of the subsequent events??

thunk

Postby thunk » Mon May 30, 2016 12:54 pm UTC

Sadly, I believe this joke is not original.

I saw a very similar extended version in the Onion Book of Known Knowledge.

Eh...one of Randall's weaker comics.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

Rombobjörn

Postby Rombobjörn » Mon May 30, 2016 2:56 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
Kalium_Puceon wrote:I wonder if you could conceivably build a trebuchet with intercontinental range.
Sounds like What-If fodder... Material strengths of wood and bindings, (in)economies of scale, necessary release velocity of the launched ICBB (Inter-Contintental Ballistic Boulder) and what happens to the area around the launch-site if this is accomplished.

To get a first rough idea of how realistic that is, one can look at the graphs in Steak Drop and try to imagine what would happen if the steak were going upwards instead, with gravity and air resistance cooperating to slow it down. A particularly relevant quote is:
No matter how fast it’s going when it reaches the lower layers of the atmosphere, it quickly slows down to terminal velocity.

Lothario O'Leary

Postby Lothario O'Leary » Mon May 30, 2016 3:01 pm UTC

Uncyclopedia used to have articles on every single World War from III to XXI.
Got rid of most of them (as well as most of the rest of its "history" stuff) sometime in the late 2000s, unfortunately.

EDIT:
Rombobjörn wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:

To get a first rough idea of how realistic that is, one can look at the graphs in Steak Drop and try to imagine what would happen if the steak were going upwards instead, with gravity and air resistance cooperating to slow it down. A particularly relevant quote is:
No matter how fast it’s going when it reaches the lower layers of the atmosphere, it quickly slows down to terminal velocity.

A boulder is quite a bit larger (and denser) than a steak, though, so air resistance wouldn't hurt it (as) much.

What we're looking for is a ballista rendition of the Paris Gun. I still don't think it's possible, but it doesn't sound that unlikely.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon May 30, 2016 4:59 pm UTC

My recollection is that ancient ballistas already crowded the limit of how powerful they could be without tearing themselves apart when they fired, so, even with modern materials, a quick gut check says intercontinental ballistas are implausible.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon May 30, 2016 5:53 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:My recollection is that ancient ballistas already crowded the limit of how powerful they could be without tearing themselves apart when they fired, so, even with modern materials, a quick gut check says intercontinental ballistas are implausible.

Just throw it across this ridge. Should work with any ancient artillery.

I don't know where WW3 will be fought, but WW4 will encompass the whole of Iceland!

Rombobjörn

Postby Rombobjörn » Mon May 30, 2016 6:45 pm UTC

The Paris Gun used aerodynamic projectiles fired at nearly Mach 5 and had a range of 130 km – very far from intercontinental. A boulder doesn't have the right shape for supersonic flight. It would slam into the sound barrier, burn like a meteor, and quickly slow down to sub-sonic speed.

Anyway, people who can build even an ordinary ballista or trebuchet will certainly have at least some tools, like knives and axes. They will use their knives and felling axes as weapons if they don't have swords or battle axes. Fighting with sticks and stones implies that even that level of technology has been lost.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon May 30, 2016 7:37 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:My recollection is that ancient ballistas already crowded the limit of how powerful they could be without tearing themselves apart when they fired, so, even with modern materials, a quick gut check says intercontinental ballistas are implausible.

Clever, but continental plates are not the same thing as continents, otherwise I near Los Angeles live on a different continent than my state's capitol.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Sir Lunch-a-lot

Postby Sir Lunch-a-lot » Mon May 30, 2016 8:33 pm UTC

sotanaht wrote:

In MAD, there are no victors.

His belief was that the weapons of war would be so devastating as to wipe out civilization entirely. Sticks and stones is an exaggeration, there would be plenty of salvage if the destruction allowed any survivors, but it would greatly set back all technology.

Or he could have meant that WWIII would wipe out humanity as a whole, and the next world war would be fought by whatever eventually evolved in our place and invented its own weapons, starting with sticks and stones.

Or, as is suggested in the book series "The Expanse", we will be fighting with stones because we will be dropping rocks on one another from orbit. Not sure how the sticks would factor into it, though.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue May 31, 2016 11:18 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
Flumble wrote:

Clever, but continental plates are not the same thing as continents, otherwise I near Los Angeles live on a different continent than my state's capitol.

There are those who would say LA is a completely different continent from, well... anywhere.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue May 31, 2016 11:24 am UTC

Sir Lunch-a-lot wrote:
Or, as is suggested in the book series "The Expanse", we will be fighting with stones because we will be dropping rocks on one another from orbit. Not sure how the sticks would factor into it, though.

At the risk of giving away spoilers, Mycroft "Mike" Holmes also launched attack rocks.
For another example, the ship-of-many-universes (did it have an actual name?) fired slim, dense projectiles, nicknamed "rods" by those under attack, from orbit.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Tue May 31, 2016 11:43 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:For another example, the ship-of-many-universes (did it have an actual name?) fired slim, dense projectiles, nicknamed "rods" by those under attack, from orbit.

...yes, it had a name. I remember that they rebuilt it three times for each planetary visit made prior to Arbre, adding on modules for the new communities they picked up. It had a geometric proof emblazoned on the hull. And yet I can't quite remember the name, a quick google DuckDuckGo doesn't find it in search results, and it'll bug me all day until I go home and look it up on my Kindle.

Arrrgh. Just went searching again. It must be on the web somewhere. Argh.
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue May 31, 2016 2:10 pm UTC

Rombobjörn wrote:The Paris Gun used aerodynamic projectiles fired at nearly Mach 5 and had a range of 130 km – very far from intercontinental.

That's plenty of range to hit Asia from North America across the Bering Strait, or Europe from Africa across the ditto of Gibraltar. (Or vice versa). And as for Europe/Asia, you could flick an intercontinental ballistic bogey between them in some places (if you can agree where the boundary actually is).
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue May 31, 2016 3:28 pm UTC

Echo244 wrote:
cellocgw wrote:For another example, the ship-of-many-universes (did it have an actual name?) fired slim, dense projectiles, nicknamed "rods" by those under attack, from orbit.

...yes, it had a name. I remember that they rebuilt it three times for each planetary visit made prior to Arbre, adding on modules for the new communities they picked up. It had a geometric proof emblazoned on the hull. And yet I can't quite remember the name, a quick google DuckDuckGo doesn't find it in search results, and it'll bug me all day until I go home and look it up on my Kindle.

Arrrgh. Just went searching again. It must be on the web somewhere. Argh.

Beat you to it :mrgreen: It's the Daban_Urnud
resume
Former OTTer

pixeldigger

Postby pixeldigger » Tue May 31, 2016 3:53 pm UTC

I was more thinking Heinlen's "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"

also note the wikipedia entry forKinetic Bombardment in science fiction

svenman

Postby svenman » Tue May 31, 2016 3:58 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:That's plenty of range to hit Asia from North America across the Bering Strait, or Europe from Africa across the ditto of Gibraltar. (Or vice versa). And as for Europe/Asia, you could flick an intercontinental ballistic bogey between them in some places (if you can agree where the boundary actually is).

Like here, for example?
Spoiler:
The letters on the two sides of the monument say "Evropa" and "Aziya", respectively.
The part of the European-Asian boundary between the Black and Caspian Seas is much more subject to debate, though.

Asia/Africa and North America/South America seem pretty easy, too, if you pick the right places.
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:02 am UTC

svenman wrote:
orthogon wrote:That's plenty of range to hit Asia from North America across the Bering Strait, or Europe from Africa across the ditto of Gibraltar. (Or vice versa). And as for Europe/Asia, you could flick an intercontinental ballistic bogey between them in some places (if you can agree where the boundary actually is).

Like [...] the European-Asian boundary

"Intercontinental ballistic [projectile]" doesn't just mean "between any two continents at their closest points", otherwise almost all humans could take an intercontinental ballistic whiz across that Euro/Asia boundary.

Hit Moscow from North Dakota with a trebuchet, or vice-versa? Nope.

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:59 am UTC

Mikeski wrote:"Intercontinental ballistic [projectile]" doesn't just mean "between any two continents at their closest points", otherwise almost all humans could take an intercontinental ballistic whiz across that Euro/Asia boundary.

In fact, what does ballistic even mean in this context? I always thought that word meant that a trajectory was entirely in free fall. Which seems ... unlikely for an ICBM.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:46 am UTC

ps.02 wrote:
Mikeski wrote:"Intercontinental ballistic [projectile]" doesn't just mean "between any two continents at their closest points", otherwise almost all humans could take an intercontinental ballistic whiz across that Euro/Asia boundary.

In fact, what does ballistic even mean in this context? I always thought that word meant that a trajectory was entirely in free fall. Which seems ... unlikely for an ICBM.

As I understand it, that basically is what it means, it's just not as absolute as that: it's more that the missile is in a ballistic (unpowered and unguided) trajectory during most or perhaps just a significant proportion of its flight. This is in contrast to a cruise missile, which is powered and guided during most of its flight.

A ballistic missile is basically a rocket, giving it efficiency, range and speed. I'm not a Kerbalista, but my understanding (probably from a previous thread) is that it's generally best to deliver the thrust/delta-v as quickly as possible at the start of the flight, otherwise you're just wasting energy lifting the unburnt fuel: hence the significant ballistic (freefall) portion. By contrast a cruise missile is fairly inefficient and has a shorter range, but has better accuracy and can maintain lower altitude hence avoiding detection.

@Mikeski, yeah, OK, I was being facetious; perhaps the term "bogey" (see sense 10) isn't well known outside the UK, but basically I was making a similar point to you but with a different bodily excretum.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Murderbot

Postby Murderbot » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:36 am UTC

sardia wrote:Image
Alt text: I hate how the media only ever uses the first part of this quote, stripping it of its important context.

Why didn't he say anything about WW XIII?
rhomboidal wrote:If only we fought our world wars with rocks, paper, and scissors.

World War II was. Churchill played scissors, Hitler paper and Stalin rock.

Assuming WWIII will have victors.
Sir Lunch-a-lot wrote:Or, as is suggested in the book series "The Expanse", we will be fighting with stones because we will be dropping rocks on one another from orbit. Not sure how the sticks would factor into it, though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_b ... oject_Thor
Last edited by Murderbot on Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:39 pm UTC

Murderbot wrote:Why didn't he say anything about WW XIII?
WWXIII will be fought with l'Cie.
Last edited by Quizatzhaderac on Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:16 pm UTC

@sardia

"World War III+" is actually comic #1687; comic #1387 is "Clumsy Foreshadowing".

Whatever happened to the opening post linking the thread to the comic?

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:54 am UTC

Murderbot wrote:Why didn't he say anything about WW XIII?

Due to superstition, world war numbering skipped from XII directly to XIV.

Personally, I've always felt that if you're having a world war, numbering it 13 probably couldn't make things much worse, but that's people for you.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”