1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

taixzo

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby taixzo » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:08 am UTC

macraw83 wrote:
thunk wrote:Hi, macraw83!

Glad to see you're back.

We're still kicking.

(Edit: I didn't realise you were last here in early 2 A.T.; I haven't blitzed to that point yet.)

A new Blitzer? In 3 A.T.??? Awesomeful! :D

SBN wrote:I use life-m*stard pretty often, actually. Glad yours is getting cleaned up. And yes, we're activish here, so join us when you can.

I feel like I've used the phrase myself in the past. It just never dawned on me that there's not really any good Outside-speak equivalent for it, or at least none that I could recall when pondering it earlier todip.

Anyway, as stated in my "Location", I'm technically supposed to be on NP 2130 right now. In molpish news, forums.xkcd.com is not blocked by my new employer's filters. In less molpish news, CM.com, mrob.com, http://www.xkcd.com, and pretty much everything else awesomeful ARE blocked by my new employer's filters. So I can do some Blitzing at my desk, but it will feel somewhat incomplete, so I'll have to figure something out.

That leaves one question: to SchizoBlitz, or not to SchizoBlitz......

Is archive.org blocked? It does a pretty good job of mirroring most of the internet.

Edit: whoops, pope'd. Decree: It's June! Don't forget to enjoy fresh air. (To those in the Southern Hemishphere: enjoy the...snow, I guess? I'm not really sure what the winter is like there.)
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:35 am UTC

thunk wrote:Now where's my hovercraft?
It's full of eels.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:16 am UTC

thunk wrote:EDIT: Now where's my hovercraft?

It's full of eels.

Dammit, ninja'd by less than a second! I refreshed before posting to make sure!

Bah humbug :mrgreen:

Edit: The refresh... Didn't, in fact, so I was actually temporarily temporally displaced, as is fitting my nature. I had to wait until I existed again in this particular iteration of the multiverse to see the ninja!! :shock:

I'm delighted that the chance for the reference wasn't missed.
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

thunk

Postby thunk » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:21 am UTC

Ninja'd by three wips, ucim and gingercat.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:27 am UTC

Nods

EverythONG old is new again...

"History
Never repeats"
I tell myself
Before I go to sleep...

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:30 am UTC

taixzo wrote:Is archive.org blocked? It does a pretty good job of mirroring most of the internet.

Not in its entirety, no, but the filters are smart enough to block any pages that would normally be blocked. Same goes for Google Cache. Though, considering that my main concern is missing out on all the embedded images... Maybe it'll show them, since it should load the page? I have something to test in the morning!
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:37 am UTC

This may be a bit of an inept question, but has anyone asked the Mods to maybe poke GLR with a request for the long-lost Firstframe? If anyone can get in touch, I imagine they could.

I'd ask now myself, but if it's already been done, that'd just unduly annoy them :?

ergman

Where are you guys headed after the after party? I'm free

Postby ergman » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:26 am UTC

Hum. I realized I haven't made very much time for TimeH lately, and was slightly fearing a zanclean ketchup. But I only had 3 pages to read. Still, the pleasantness of the pages is just as much as ever. are? am?

In regards to -man names, mine is a bit of a misdirection, but ergboy sounds like a mediocre sidekick. ergguy? ergums? ergfella. ergusto.

Really it's just erg, but most websites aren't fond of 3 letter usernames.

Still here, reading, just quietly, waiting for the sun to come up.

-Joseerg
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:42 am UTC

macraw83 wrote:Though, considering that my main concern is missing out on all the embedded images...
Is 1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info blocked? If not you could blitz from the mirror. All embedded images on the mirror are on 1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info too (Unless they're so new that they aren't mirrored yet or they were already gone when the mirror started).
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

thunk

40: Namagiri's Screen

Postby thunk » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:01 am UTC

I am the mome who buys corn from Des Moines, but they won't let me go to Disney Land...
More pertinently, Catagolue has its database update at Ramanujan Standard Time (17:29 UTC) every dip.

1729/2490 pages read (69.44%)
39.05 dips taken.
Diamond Satellite Beacon Gamma passed

Spoiler:
I have over 1.5 pages of notes for this section so...

In the MysteryONGs, Cuegan continue climbing to the top of their small island, meeting some interesting fauna (winking snake?) until they reach a cairn marking the summit. Looking around, they notice their position, and also a small calling card left by the Beanies. Isn't that interesting? Of course, sandcastling doesn't go so well with dirt--and the two-flag moment was priceless. We then use Umwelt-Vision to spy on our protagonists from far away.

Technically, past me already knows, since a temporal edit by BlitzGirl named SilentTImer as the author before their delurk.

BTW, I agree with Vytron's suggestion that t1i is as interesting as the OTC. (this also explains the peacock-cat by the way.)

many many delurkers and returners wrote:Also, what in the world is going on in this thread? It's like another world in here!

I know, right? Lots of people crawling back from the basement in this update, and they're all amazed.

People keep trying to ship Megball as if they have nothing better to do.
I honestly don't really care about romance in works of fiction--so all this discussion of hot stick-figure love is a bit epsilon. I think I'll be on the sidelines with Ace (sad to see they're basemented though.)

I'm learning Fortran just now. I'm a meteorologist. We do everything backwards here.

mrob's bOTTeriada (first chapter) is pretty cool. And so is June Bug's story.

The newwords "lakeish" and "life-mustard" first appear here, used by SBN I think? Both should be used more often.

JFOM wrote:what the chirp is a gravy?

It's a ridiculous condiment that Americans keep putting on delicious mashed potatoes to make them inedible. Along with a bunch of other things.
I tried getting some sausage from a festival stand managed by a restauarant that was supposed to be super-Czech and everything...
it came back in gravy. I'm pretty sure actual Czechs would feel the same way.

ChronosDragon wrote:If I made that much money, at least I'd be honest enough to convert it all to gold and at least make a comfortable pile to sleep on.

I know, right? I collect coins, so I once went to a coin shop. I asked the proprietor "Do you have any coins made out of unusual metals?" "Like what?"
"Say, niobium for instance?" "What the ch*rp is a niobium?"
Boo.

The winter being cosy would make more sense to slinches, or anyone else, like Cuegan, in a low desert.

We have AzuleONGs with our regular t1i ONGs. Nice side story there, I liked it the first time I saw it two yips back. Though I only noticed the umweltscope on the rewatch.

Finally, PurplePants does his "History of the USSR" OdeTiTy... which is probably much better than the original, since the history is more accurate.
Last edited by thunk on Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
troo dat

HES

Postby HES » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:20 am UTC

taixzo wrote:Edit: whoops, pope'd. Decree: It's June! Don't forget to enjoy fresh air.

Ha! It's been cold, dark and rainy all week. Parts of Europe are activating Zanclean Contingencies.
He/Him/His Image

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:10 pm UTC

Either I must have misremembered something or the policy has changed, because archive.org is fully blocked. Google Cache still works for unblocked pages, but the embedded images hosted on blocked sites still don't show up, sadly.

balthasar_s wrote:
macraw83 wrote:Though, considering that my main concern is missing out on all the embedded images...
Is 1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info blocked? If not you could blitz from the mirror. All embedded images on the mirror are on 1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info too (Unless they're so new that they aren't mirrored yet or they were already gone when the mirror started).

Sadly, it's a very proactive filter, in that they categorize sites both manually and through some specific set of rules (I suspect that "forums" may be allowed by default since a fair amount of info can be found on forums of all types, and it's not easy to tell which forums might have job-related info), and anything that isn't given a category by one of these methods is placed in a special category called "uncategorized", which is blocked. I am probably the first person to attempt to browse to botm.info, so it's still uncategorized, and I somehow doubt that it'll change. Thanks for the idea though!
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np1812

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:10 pm UTC

BUNGEE...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by ggh.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:THE WOTTEROTTERMOLPY IS A LIE

-- posted by oldpixbot

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:28 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
AUTOMOME wrote:THE WOTTEROTTERMOLPY IS A LIE

-- posted by oldpixbot

*Has existential crisis*
HES wrote:
taixzo wrote:Edit: whoops, pope'd. Decree: It's June! Don't forget to enjoy fresh air.

Ha! It's been cold, dark and rainy all week. Parts of Europe are activating Zanclean Contingencies.

Indeed, I hope things clear up for my trip to Germany this coming week... very Zanclean over there at the moment, not themeparking weather at all...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:46 pm UTC

Sometimes in rereading, I think of a good response to what is going on, and boom, there's a post of mine with that response. Then there's this. I have no idea what I was thinking when I posted this.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:46 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:I have no idea what I was thinking when I posted this.
Stumps were being discussed, but you were under the influence of puns. It would drive one batty so it's no surprise you cut right to the root of it. It is quite under the circumstance, but it is one of the risks of going bag in Time.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

mrob27

1190: Time: THE WEIRDEST PART OF MRORLING IS MOLPYSNAKES IN YOUR MOLPICOOT

Postby mrob27 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:56 am UTC

Oh dear, I'm in the past again. I seem to have acquired a fewf micromolpies whilst visiting Morobu, and other things…

ftrillion?
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-1202

Postby SilentTimer » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:00 am UTC

BE VEWY VEWY HIWWISH, I'M HUNTUNG BADGEWMOWPS -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the hair?
Spoiler:
Ms. Frizzle's hair is drawn a totally different way than in low resolution.
… the zoom?
Spoiler:
To present the Questionable Carcass at the end of its Quest like Megan presented the trebuchet in Time was one of the first ideas for t1i.
-- posted by SilentBot Image
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np1832

Postby mscha » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:10 am UTC

BUNGLE...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by ggh.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:ALL YOUR CAKE ARE BELONG TO SHORTY

-- posted by oldpixbot

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:26 pm UTC

Hmm... I feel like mscha is summoning me....

I'm so sorry I've been gone for a few weeks. I had a reason, but it's not a good one.

Will ketchup. A few drops at a time. Please
Spoiler:
forgive me.

ETA - first batch:
Ooh - ketchup delayed by staring at mrob's reaction-diffusion movies. ooooooooooooh....

mrob27 wrote:For my own decree ("Contemplate what we'd do if Randall Munroe came around some day and said we could get any question about Time answered, but only one, and no wishing for more wishes. Discuss!"):
Those who would ask a question about the process of creating Time, e.g. what it was like learning it won a Hugo, etc. I think this includes @ggh's response.
SBN wrote:Re: Decree:
Please, sir, can we have some more?
My request for a NP from Time 2 groups nicely with SBN's question; I was just trying to trick him into a sequel. :)

Gingercat wrote:ETA: ggh, I've had my reply to you about Crowded House rattling around in my semi-existent skull ever since I saw your post, and it keeps disappearing before I can act on it! To wit: I'd love to discuss Crowded House with you, and I'm sure our fellow OTTers wouldn't mind. (I saw them in concert a few yips back; it was a marvellous experience, marred only by one idiot directly behind me who felt that continuously whistling through their fingers as loudly as possible was a valid contribution to the show.)
I've been thinking about this too, and decided to blitz my collection. I started by putting Woodface, Finn, and Try Whistling This (yes, I know, not very band-centric) in the car and discovering the CD player works. These weren't the best choices... Woodface has several tracks that I've never warmed up to, as does Finn, and even TWT wasn't as great as I remembered it being. TWT stayed in the car though, because I kept forgetting to grab the next batch, and every time it played, it crept into my veins a bit more. Of course I totally enjoy this album... what was I thinking?! So, now I know that I've got to take this slower than blitzing. That's okay. The Little Wonder has declared herself a fan of music in the car. I've got Time.

Next time I see a ch*rpin' watterfall, I'll be thinking of you Zooman!

Eternal Density wrote:Also I bought a lamington flavoured ice-cream at the petrol station. Yum!
Huh - funny, I never thought of Lamingtons as having a flavour, I mean, a flavour beyond cake-flavoured.

Ooh, thunk, oilslick is purty! I feel like you'd kinda have to use it in conjunction with something else, but what it does to Greenland is grand. It's like what Ansel Adams would do to a hypsometric map.

Febrion wrote:well...I never considered what was going through the ant's head, as it was going through the wolpy's head
Ew.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

taixzo

Re: 40: Namagiri's Screen

Postby taixzo » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:13 pm UTC

thunk wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:If I made that much money, at least I'd be honest enough to convert it all to gold and at least make a comfortable pile to sleep on.

I know, right? I collect coins, so I once went to a coin shop. I asked the proprietor "Do you have any coins made out of unusual metals?" "Like what?"
"Say, niobium for instance?" "What the ch*rp is a niobium?"
Boo.

Maybe you could ask SpaceX.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:42 pm UTC

Busy travelling at the moment, but here's a link to the current OtherComic.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

thunk

the weepend is floof!

Postby thunk » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:36 am UTC

ggh wrote:Ooh, thunk, oilslick is purty! I feel like you'd kinda have to use it in conjunction with something else

Not really, in my experience. It works best in flatter areas; mountains regions, you just have to memorize which hue maps to which height.

mrob27 wrote:I seem to have acquired a few micromolpies whilst visiting Morobu

Aww. Get better.
I went there once.
And as a sneak peek for my future signposts, one of them will be Morobu-themed.

taixzo wrote:Maybe you could ask SpaceX.

Maybe. Wait, now I'm thinking that the OTT needs its own coinage and postage stamps.
troo dat

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:48 am UTC

thunk wrote:Maybe. Wait, now I'm thinking that the OTT needs its own coinage and postage stamps.
Well, the prayer tiles are perfect for OTT postage stamps.

Jose

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np1848

Postby mscha » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:10 am UTC

EVUNGELICALS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by Actaeus.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:PUSH BUTTON, RECEIVE SCRUMPTIOUS DONUT

-- posted by oldpixbot

thunk

41: River Crabs and Yellow Quacktors

Postby thunk » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:32 am UTC

This line has been forcibly umwelted. Have u ever been to Randallville, bro?

1774/2490 pages read (71.24%)
40.9 dips taken (hey! it almost matches the number!)
Beacon Hotdog reached.

Spoiler:
Now, I properly know that these are SilentOngs. And xe's been producing a lot of them! Hi, SilentTimer!
Megball reach a mountain, climb down, back up the other mountain, back down again. (The cairns are apparently vampire lords.) There's a tailless snake, which might be the beginning of the radiation weirdness I've noticed. They notice a riverish river and stuff, which is neat (Also Cue has an aunt? I'm glad Cueganites have some family ties...) They also come upon a doe corpse, which is ew. and then TSEE-CHIRP!

Some of the updates were mustarded by newpixbot. Thankfully that was cleaned up quickly. I have awesome stuff to wait for! Even though I saw t1i before! but don't remember it!

Oh wow -- there aren't still actual blitzers (i.e. from the beginning), are there????

There probably will be long after this thread finally e**s. I wonder who will be last. Bliny are delicious, I gotta say though.

I followed the winter extravaganza, but grudgingly--it's all a way for Poutine to give ch*rploads of money to himself and his friends anyway.
But neaux sneaux in June, as they say on the WunderBlog. (it actually appeared on GLR's internet map, and he correctly noted it was much more active in September--the peak of hurricane season, than in March.) -10 in winter seems about right, too.

Using snakes as punctuation foreshadows the OtherComic.

PurplePants does a tour de force in the form of ottifying an entire Tool Album! I have to say, wow. Even though I don't listen to that music.

Who would win in a fight between a dragon and a dinosaur?

*looks confused. also cute and floofy.*

the David Morgan-Mar OtherOthercomics are mentioned. I think I actually like his annotations more than IWC! though.

I'm dealing with the same problem of reply-seaishness as is BalthaBlitzer. It used to be contained in my first few signposts, but now they're massive.

...because I keep wanting to discuss RELATED stuff like the qntm.org stories. Seeing OTTers in the comments on the date thing was cool.

Comparing TIme to the Twitch Plays Pokemon, they are similar. But I would argue that the slowing-down of Time makes it better. Back in TPP, religion and silliness developed, as is usual for any sufficiently fast internet gathering (as noted by JFoM), but here, once things slowed down, discussion could actually occur and an actual *community* formed.

It's like cellular automata, or u-skate world. Too little novelty, and nothing interesting happens. Too much stimulus, and it's unending chaos. You have to get it just right.

Minim's spoiler allergy first appears here. I've been waiting for that one to happen. Also Blitzer Powerups get explained--I didn't see them at all in time, aside from a mention by Karhell.

ChronosDragon wrote:oftentimes it seems like mechanization is always the answer.

Well, industry's what's got the Cueganites into this hole in the first place (is that a donut?)

More seriously, despite the popular steampunk image of Victorian gentlemen wearing monocles and saying "Cheerio" at each other, the Industrial Revolution was a steambottleish time for everyone else. As cottage industry was outcompeted by industrial textile production and the like (first using wind and water for energy--the advent of large-scale coal mining allowed the move into cities), it suddenly became unsustainable to live on farms. People were thus forced into cities, living in tenements, and having horribly unsafe working conditions which Engels, Dickens, and a bunch of others wrote about.

Not to mention that cholera, along with many other diseases, was a household name around this time. The humble toilet was sorely lacking--it's possibly the greatest invention of modern times.
Never forget the Broad Street Pump.

At least people had tea going for them. The builder's variety, as many people know, is perfect for keeping energized during the long workdips I mentioned earlier. While it had been introduced to Britain in the 17th century, it was only now that the main sources switched from Chinese oolong/black teas to Assam and the like--grown within the bounds of an Raj that could only be instantiated with industrial warfare. The prototypical milk and sugar were also only made possible with urbanization, as people moved within range of large creameries, and Caribbean colonial possessions started making sugar cane in large quantities, most of it using slave labor (steambottle, again.)

Actually, I'm not sure why I started that paragraph with "at least". Point is, not everymolpy can be ChronosCorp CEO.

On a more positive note, the OTTscars were announced by Yappo! I'm looking forward to Waiting For It, and finding out who won! Baobabs!

EDITed to add more tea discussion and the percentage.
Last edited by thunk on Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:20 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
troo dat

svenman

Postby svenman » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:07 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
HES wrote:Ha! It's been cold, dark and rainy all week. Parts of Europe are activating Zanclean Contingencies.

Indeed, I hope things clear up for my trip to Germany this coming week... very Zanclean over there at the moment, not themeparking weather at all...

Luckily, Germany is not on the bottom of an ancient sea basin, so Zanclean conditions, as steambottlish as they are for those who are subject to them, tend to stay fairly localized.

[Edit: Quotes pared down to relevant bits.]
Last edited by svenman on Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:00 am UTC

I remember when Time first came out. I saw one of the first images and assumed it was some existential joke and forgot about if for awhile. It wasn't until Randall posted about it in his blag about Time and that's when I went back and spent hours rewatching and reading every line in the story. Since then, I've probably spent close to as much time reading Time as I have reading all other comics combined.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:15 am UTC

ucim wrote:
thunk wrote:Maybe. Wait, now I'm thinking that the OTT needs its own coinage and postage stamps.
Well, the prayer tiles are perfect for OTT postage stamps.

Jose

heuristically_alone wrote:I remember when Time first came out. I saw one of the first images and assumed it was some existential joke and forgot about if for awhile. It wasn't until Randall posted about it in his blag about Time and that's when I went back and spent hours rewatching and reading every line in the story. Since then, I've probably spent close to as much time reading Time as I have reading all other comics combined.

Welcome, heuristically_alone, Revealer the Recent!
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

thunk

ENAP: 11

Postby thunk » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:15 pm UTC

Heury!

Hello there!

Welcome to Time. Take a seat around our campfire.

(Signpost 41a: Up. Start. Left! Right!)

Actually, what I mentioned in my earlier signpost about Twitch Plays Pokemon isn't necessarily that true anymore. They seem to have settled down enough over the last two yips to actually build a story and community--at least three seasons' worth of afterparty.

Apparently, the next (16th) playthrough begins in 11 dips.

The OTT is still *much* better though--it's not infested with dudebros.
troo dat

Gingercat

Re: ENAP: 11

Postby Gingercat » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:03 am UTC

thunk wrote:(Signpost 41a: Up. Start. Left! Right!)

UUDDLRLRBAS

thunk

Postby thunk » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:19 am UTC

Othercomic alert!

Sadly, Time-Tracking Software doesn't have much to do with Time. Randammit!
troo dat

SomeGuyNamedDavid

Postby SomeGuyNamedDavid » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:19 am UTC

thunk wrote:Othercomic alert!

But it is the 500-comic anniversary of Time!
Coincidence? Or conspiracy?

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:49 am UTC

What do you mean? We have our own Time-Tracking Software!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Eternal Density

I'm not on either list.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:07 am UTC

SomeGuyNamedDavid wrote:

But it is the 500-comic anniversary of Time!
Coincidence? Or conspiracy?

12 away from a round number!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:36 pm UTC

More ketchup:

HES wrote:
Oops.
If you were an unknown character in Time, what would your hair-derived name be?
Overdue Dye-job. Sigh.

*spends a whole bunch of Time looking at BlitzGirl's xkcdresearch links* Baobabs! Thanks!

StormAngel wrote:Also this:Image
In the very next post, mscha wrote:ADMIRUNGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by Exodies.)
-- posted by oldpixbot
*grins at oldpixbot*

Thanks for saving Yin-Yang, StormAngel!

Quite a steakish molpixel OTTherComic, svenman! Treeish how it seems like it came first.

Your poetry is impressive, thunk; I'm looking forward to the rest of your feet!

Glad to hear that SouperCutemolpy is doing well. :)

Sorry, xuys - I'm still trailing you by 4 NPs. I'll get there.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

balthasar_s

[S][A1190] b: Mental breakdown

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:38 pm UTC

thunk wrote:And Baltistan begins his blitz. Present me informs he isn't done yet...

Isnt' done yet. Yes.

And I haven't done any blitzing in the last weeks.
And this is why:

I mustarded my computer for 3 weeks. And did not blitz then.
For not so recent anymore decree, this is one of my last disacchievments.
What did I do?
On my computer's HDD I had:
  • sda1 (C:) - A primary fat32 partition with Windows XP[/spoiler]
  • sda5 (D:) - A logical fat32 partition with lots of my files and also some programs
  • sda6 - A logical ext4 partition with Debian 7.
  • sda7 - A a logical swap partition

Some months ago I was playing a Windows hotdog with my cousin. Windows crashed when shuttinG down. It corrupted both C: and D: partitions.
Using some tools on the Debian OS I managed to recover sda5 (D) but not completely. One directory ("D:\Programy", where I had programs installed) was not recoverable. But all my files were ok. C: was so much corrupted that almost nothing could be recovered.
What to do next?
Reformatting C and D and reinstalling Windows would be an obvious option. I could not do it. I got Windows for free. Students of electronics at PWr could get some software (including Windows) for free. I was no longer a student. The license allowed me to still use the softwares after finishing the studies. But I was no longer allowed to install it. And I was not interested in buying it either. I don't need Windows, actually. I already got used to GNU/Linux which I like much more now. I installed XP only because it was available for free. Before that (until 2012, I think) I used Windows 98 as the primary OS. And I still have Windows 98, and Windows 3.11 on my redundant computers.
So I didn't change anything. I used the Debian OS and I could access all the files on sda5 from it. sda1 was not mountable.
But recently (about 6 weeks ago) I decided to change this. there where errors while accessing some directories on sda5 (but all the files were ok) and I was running out of free space on sda6 while sda5 occupied most of the hdd and had much free space which was unusable to me because it was a fat32 partition (no access control) mounted in read-only mode (to not increase the damage accidentally).
I copied all the data from sda5 to the botcastle. I copied all the data form sda6 to the botcastle. Then I used a partition manager software which booted from a liveCD. I removed sda5. I resized sda6 to take all the space that previously belonged to sda5 and sda6 except the first 7MB. I restarted the computer.
The OS didn't start. GRUB started but crashed. I could only use GRUB's command line with most commands unavailable. What I had to do was to boot the OS somehow and from it to restore GRUB (maybe it didn't survive the resizing). I couldn't. Trying to load the kernel resulted with a memory error.
I recorded a CD with GRUB on it. Using it it was possible to load the kernel but the OS still didn't start. It complained that it couldn't mount "/" and entered the kernel panic. I started another GNU/Linux from a liveCD and found out that that sda6 was no longer mountable. However GRUB could access the filesystem without any problems but for some reasons Linux couldn't (???). I also noticed that the CD GRUB saw the Debian partition as sda,5 and the swap as sda,6 while the original GRUB still saw them as sda,6 and sda,7. Maybe that's because the real sda5 was removed. So I inserted a placeholder partition to replace the old sda5. But I couldn't do it. The bootmanager couldn't create a partition smaller than 8 MB and there was only 7MB free space. So I used GParted from a Linux liveCD. After this, both GRUBs saw the partitions as: placeholder: sda7, Debian: sda5, swap: sda6. 7,5,6 instead of 5,6,7. Not what I wanted. I couldn't change the partition numbers from any of the partition managers. But I discovered what was wrong. The partitioning software I used doesn't support ext4 (there was no ext4 when they made it, I think). It interpreted the filesystem as ext3 instead and resized it as if it was ext3. But it was ext4, actually. (I could have resized it with GParted instead and avoid all the problems). That's why the filesystem was broken (but the files seemed ok because GRUB could access them). I tried to fix it using fsck and such but it wasn't successful.
Why not restore the system from the backup I made on the botcastle? Because I only saved the files but not the file ownership and access control information.
When (after 3 weeks) I went again to the place where my botcastle is. I reformatted everything, installed the OS again and copied all the importand data from the botcastle. I had to spend some time to recreate my configurations of things using files from previous installation.
During these 3 weeks I was using a GNU/Linux OS from a liveCD.
And I made another mustard. This time I used almost all the space for the Debian GNU/Linux OS but left a 4 GB partition at the beginning because I wanted to install FreeDOS on it. But last Thursday, when I wanted to do it I found out that I made a mistake and the partition has 4 MB instead of GB.
Well, 4 MB is still more than enough to have a perfectly working DOS but that's not what I wanted :/

And then, I noticed in a post by mrob27 a mention of Homestuck.
I already heard the name before but didn't know much more about it. I think I saw the first page of it once.
I went to see what it is...
and spent 3 weeks reading it. I finished yesterday.
I liked it.

Wow, they have object generators! (but with a different name)
And sending messages through time! And things!
:shock:
Does everybody make these things these days?
(First Kieryn, then this) :shock: :shock:

Well, I have been warned about stair the possibility of this happening.
More :shock: :shock: s:
Just 5 pages later b thiks about having more than one world to see what happens if you do something and what if you don't.
EE :shock: EE :shock: EE!

Even more :shock: :shock: s:
In late 2010 / early 2011 I was drawing some comic. I needed a "random" 3-digit number. What was it?
I later reused it because why waste such a good random number?
And now I read this and find this number there as well???
:shock: :shock: : :shock: :shock: : :shock: :shock:

. . .

Spoiler:

bftfreakdown.png
mental breakdondancy
bftfreakdown.png (3.23 KiB) Viewed 10107 times

413.png
rnk 413 ???
413.png (25.92 KiB) Viewed 10107 times
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

svenman

Postby svenman » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:57 pm UTC

OTTercomic alert!

Title text: Any time spent on Time is time well spent.

This represents the activities of a fictitious OTTer. For me, the diagram would currently mostly consist of ketching up with the OTT and updating the One True Wiki, apart from the occasionall OTTercomic or Ottish poem. And I'm amazed Jack and Diane hasn't actually been ottified yet.

TOTTally redundant
Spoiler:

xkcd1690_ottivity_report.png
xkcd1690_redundant.png
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

Febrion

Re: 1190: "Time" - Too crazy to be mental

Postby Febrion » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:05 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:{Computer mustard}

I know it sucks to be in that position, but I couldn't help but think "awefulsome!" at that - I'm notorious for "going Mad Scientist" on computers, more than just swapping out a HDD or some memory, it's nice to know I'm not the only one.
Spoiler:
My last project was fixing a problem I had created before. I was taking apart an old laptop that had an overheating problem. Of course they had to make it insanely difficult to get to the motherboard, and in the process of stripping off components to get to the CPU, I wound up breaking the connection between the power button and the mainboard. "oops" I could still power it on (as long as I kept the case open) by shorting out the switch on the mainboard side, but I simply could not get the connection from the button to the board working with the case closed. I'm not the most dexterous with a soldering iron - I managed to keep from damaging anything else in the attempt, but I couldn't get the socket back on the board lined up correctly. I(t's still on the shelf for future work, but I've already stripped the useful component out of it, at this point even if I do get it working again, it wont really be that useful)

When dealing with software issues, more than once I've taken the "just install linux" route - while realistically it's not always the best choice (a working computer that doesn't support your programs of choice is not superior to a crappy OS that does), it's still fun to get going. (And just this weekend I got a clear reminder of why windows still dominates - trying to get my son's laptop (Ubuntu) to connect to the WiFi at my dad's house, and the only way to get it to work was to spend about 2 hours troubleshooting the network manager app, giving that up as a lost cause, looking into command-line alternatives, and trying that. It worked, eventually, but there's no way he (8) would have figured that out on his own in a reasonable time frame) A real shame - if the "personalities" running the linux show would spend more time trying to stabilize a solid build, and less bitching at each other like children, it's very possible that there wouldn't even exist a "windows 10"

svenman wrote:And I'm amazed Jack and Diane hasn't actually been ottified yet.

A perfect choice, I'll look into it, but hopefully someone more2 talented gives it a shot first

>1<344
oopswhere am I404
anywaypretty much everyone
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np1888

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:10 pm UTC

RUNGSTERS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by NoMouse.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:I'M WORKING TO CREATE A DUNEJUMPISH HOTDOG THAT WILL ETERNALLY NINJA ANYMOLPY WHO FAILS TO POST THE CUEGAN'S NEWPIXBOTTIFICATION PEOPLE.

-- posted by oldpixbot

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”