1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

yappobiscuits

Re: 1190: "Time": BOOOUND. VOOOLE. RECIDIVIST.

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:52 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:Some about pronounciation. When I read the OTT I sometimes mispronounce words even if I know how they should be pronounced correctly. For example, I often read "wolpy" like "volpy". I often read numbers in Polish, even in an English text.

A volpy is a very different thing and much smaller than a wolpy ;)

Oooh, first time I've been Yappope since debasementing. Decree: Woody words. No tinny ones.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:42 pm UTC

D'awww. That looks like the gerbils I used to have. I wish you could have gerbils as a pet in California. :( Although the robo dwarf hamsters (always loved that name) look a lot like gerbils, but without tails. You also can't legally have a pet hedgemolpy, which I really really want.

It's so wowterful having these debasemented folks back in the OTT. Happy times!

balthasar_s wrote: I often read numbers in Polish, even in an English text.

Funny, I read numbers in English, even in a Polish text. Or German text. Or Russian text. In Spanish or French texts I could read the numbers in that language, but I'd have to work at it.

For decree: These aren't exactly words, so maybe they don't count:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s637-5A9Gro

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:04 am UTC

You are a toy, yappo. Well, what's OTTish for toy?

(Get it? Woody (and Buzz) words? Eh...)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:04 am UTC

My, my,
how the pages fly!
With such remarkable quickness.

░'ve begun,░yo░ se▒░
the gr▒░t o░p░rtunity,
wh░▓h▒to y░▓ I▒d sh░▓n m▒ e▒ge▒▓e▒s

▓a░░ ░▒░▒
▒▓░▒▒▒▒▒▒▓░▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▓░▒░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

[This Elaborately Overarticulated, Questionably Composed Poetic Verse has been redacted by A Government Somewhere, Probably. The following is a more reasonable summary as per the Freedom of Information and Such Act of 20▓▓]

{
After flying down to Florida almost two weeks ago now, I found myself swept up in a torrent of cares of daily life. Moving in, meeting my housemates, stocking myself with the necessary supplies for providing for myself the whole summer took up most of my first week, when I wasn't sleeping off jet lag and the quite early mornings which I found myself subject to thanks to rather more traditional views of work hours found at a place such as Kennedy Space Center.

This last week I found myself somewhat more at liberty, but hardly more so, and what newly acquired free time I spared I spent on programming projects which I'd committed myself to finishing (or at least making heavy progress on) this summer. Thus preoccupied, I'd almost totally forgotten about my triumphal return to the old comfortable home of the One True Thread to whom I'd been so keen to write only a few weeks prior, until thunk messaged me about DragonRaptors and their various cranial accoutrements and drew my attention back here. And thus this wonderful verse which I'm so happy you all get to read. Isn't the meter and rhyme lovely?

As per government regulations, I don't suppose I'm allowed to reveal much about my work at NASA, though I'm not a proper civil servant (only a contractor, technically) I still am exposed to what they consider to be "proprietary", or in the monotonically repeated words of the ever-present bureaucracy, "sensitive but unclassified" information! This, of course, being suitable for revelation to US Citizens Only, they emphasize, and must be cleared for release to public forums such as a public forum. And lacking a sense of what can and cannot be revealed, I will only say that I am enjoying my programming work and am making the best of my summer internship!

More to come, perhaps, later. I mean to set myself a schedule, so that I can balance all my competing out-of-work activities and preoccupations. Perhaps Thursdays, being the days upon which for some reason I seem to suffer the least from fatigue and even go so far as to prepare myself proper cooked (not reheated) meals, shall be One True Thursdays. After all, having never been able to get the hang of Thursdays, I should not like to start getting the hang of them too easily. One must stay on one's toes, and keep one's towel about.
}

And thus I must leave
My audience, bereaved
As I draw this post to a close

I beg you all enjoy
these words I employ
in amusing replacement of prose

May your rivers be small
Seas biggest of all,
And may your treeish things flourish to wingishness!

-- ChronosDragon, Raptor of Space and Dasher of Habers

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:36 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
After flying down to Florida almost two weeks ago now, I found myself swept up in a torrent of cares of daily life.

Say the word if you want to meet the wolpies! (Though, I'm about do depart for somewhere beyond the middle of nowhere, but only for a couple of weeks.)

yappobiscuits wrote:Oooh, first time I've been Yappope since debasementing. Decree: Woody words. No tinny ones.

Treeish decree, yappo!
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:48 am UTC

SBN wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
After flying down to Florida almost two weeks ago now, I found myself swept up in a torrent of cares of daily life.

Say the word if you want to meet the wolpies! (Though, I'm about do depart for somewhere beyond the middle of nowhere, but only for a couple of weeks.)

Unfortunately I've no transportation of my own, so unless you're prepared to come down to Port St. John some weekend I'm afraid I won't have the pleasure. Thanks for the offer, though!

thunk

1190: "Time": MAKE EPSILONITY, NOT RECENTNESS

Postby thunk » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:04 am UTC

Good luck to you ChronosDragon! That's some serious molpish work you've put in!

My summer has quickly turned into farce. Boo. I'm trying to do work, but I'm either 1)too lazy, or 2) it doesn't happen. I should have snagged a proper internship at the time I could, but I had a lot of life-mustard in february. Ah well.

So my life is substantially less molpish. I can't shake the feeling that everything is going wrong. That's me being a silly molpy again, but I am genuinely afraid I won't be able to get a reasonable-paying Outside Funding Source, and I'll die unhappy.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:42 am UTC

thunk wrote: I can't shake the feeling that everything is going wrong. That's me being a silly molpy again, but I am genuinely afraid I won't be able to get a reasonable-paying Outside Funding Source, and I'll die unhappy.

Turns out, that there are lots of different ways for things to go right, and lots of different chances to find a right way. You'll find one of them.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ergman

Postby ergman » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:22 am UTC

I too got a bunch of quotifications, all from Azule. I thought perhaps Azule had suddenly become a big fan, or was giving me a eulogy or something. But no, just time travel. If any of you ever wants to get my attention though egotification works wonders. I get 1 notification whenever the thread is updated, but I don't always check it immediately, and I admit I kinda skim these days. I'm a busy (read: lazy) man! But if you're talking about me, by god I'll peer in detail!

Hey @thunk, your new avatar should wear your old avatar as a hat. I can make it if you want, just gloatificate me.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Eternal Density

YARG! A bucket of gender fluid!

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:45 am UTC

A new song I listened to several times yesterday is Switchfoot's Float: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCmRks9FcrQ
It makes me feel molpish, which is an important function, as I've been feeling unmolpish lately.
Sorry I haven't posted or recorded any Chemo Man lately. I only have one more dose left, which will be on Mondip. I'm a fair amount recovered from last wip's seaish amount of chemo, but I'm still fairly weary.

I'm ketchupped now :D It was neat to see y'all being creative and stuff :D
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-1323

Postby SilentTimer » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:00 pm UTC

I HAVE REPORTED YOU TO CURLY FOR STEALUNG BAGPUNS AS IT IS A CRIME -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the markings?
Spoiler:
They are very unclear. They might say “radioactive” (English), “radioactif” (French), “radioaktiv” (German), or “radioattivo” (Italian).

Actually on most photos, those barrels are simply yellow, without any markings which could warn you.
-- posted by SilentBot Image
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:01 pm UTC

I think the markings mean "delicious".
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:28 pm UTC

[Blindpost=NP2284]

The Madnethth Cometh! Lots of empinkening and Lucky attacks!

[/Blindpost]
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

svenman

Postby svenman » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:52 pm UTC

Ketching up once more...

Neat mustard story too, José!

To retroactively follow my own pastdecree: One summer, I spent a vacation travelling all across Europe by train. One particular Sunday, I was in Milan and visited the Cathedral. I don't remember anymore for certain whether there was a service going on at the moment; at any rate there was a sign (pictographical and therefore internationally understandable) requesting potential visitors to refrain from entering the cathedral wearing short pants (that's trousers for the UK edition). I looked at the sign, nodded in approval, attempted to proceed towards the interior of the cathedral and was immediately held up by a guard who said something in Italian, pointing towards the general direction of my knees. I looked down at myself and realized in embarrassment that I had completely forgotten I was wearing short pants (trousers) myself that day!

mrob27 wrote:@svenman: I guess I was being a bit extreme, I apologise!

No need to, I didn't take that exchange personally, and I hope neither did you.

Reply continues in
Spoiler:
mrob27 wrote:  It was probably my reaction to the overall-awkward metre of the various verses on that newpage, and more importantly, I didn't realise everyone was desperately trying to impose @jjjdavidson's rule #6 upon this new double-anapest form. Why not do as @jjjdavidson explicitly suggested:

[…] it's perfectly reasonable that we should use our own
 fresh-minted six-syllable words for the purpose, rather than relying
 on standard English.

Indeed, I could and should have looked at the Ottish lexicon as well when I tried to identify possible double-anapest words. However, I think directly minting newwords for the sole purpose of using them in the sixth line of a double-dactyl (or a poem of related form) would be taking poetic licence too far: this kind of thing is more appropriate for the opening line. The line-spanning word of the sixth line should, IMO, be previously established already, or at least be cobbled together from recognizable words which are.

mrob27 wrote:For that matter, why do we even need rule 6? It's a new poetic form, we can define it however the ch*rp we wish.

I'd agree except for the fact that the poetic forms in question were always intended as a modification of the double-dactyl.

On the other hand, you can't simply swap dactyls for another meter without further ramifications. At the very least, you have to pick a suitable metre for the fourth line of each quatrain that goes together with two of whatever meter you replaced the dactyls with, the same way that a choriamb goes with a didactyl in the double-dactyl (i. e. cretic with ditrochee, amphibrach with diiamb, amphibrach + iamb with di-ampibrach, tertius paeon with di-anapest) - and I am not aware of any way how to derive this systematically, it just seems to be a gut decision. Although I have since become aware of a possible influence that may have made me feel a tertius paeon belongs with preceding di-anapests.

And as if to further emphasize your point, I also became aware that in both of the double-anapests I wrote, I've instinctively followed an additional rule: I rhymed the first three lines of each quatrain with each other, while in a double-dactyl this is not required. Somehow I must have felt that it just sounds better that way because in a double-anapest, these lines all end in a stressed syllable (although the same is true for thunk's double-iamb, which doesn't have rhymes there either). I'd have to experiment with how double-anapests that don't follow that additional rhyming rule turn out.

Gingercat wrote:Since I'm Popecat, I decree: Find and listen to a Crowded House song (any will do) and post your thoughts on it!

All right, here's the following of another pastdecree. I've listened to a bunch of Crowded House songs and thought about which one would be best to ottify. Settled on "Chocolate Cake", ottification working title "Scrumptious Donut". Don't follow the first commandment for a result, though, my inspiration fizzled out early there. I may recommence working on it, but no promises.

Seaish thanks for everyone's congratulations on my One True Wiki achievement! Though I really wouldn't mind having a little more competition, or actually any at all these days...

HES wrote:
svenman wrote:
HES wrote:...lost as in the lost Dent Arthur Dent...

Didn't you perhaps mean "late"?

I did not. That last domino was left as an exercise to the reader.

Now I'm wondering whether I've actually passed or failed a test here...

Sorry to hear about your life-mustard, Gingercat! Take all the time you need to deal with it, and I hope it will turn out to be manageable.

SBN, that song was baobabish! Have to remember the name Christine Lavin.

Neil_Boekend wrote:
ucim wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:The effect is reversed if the bus is dead.
So.... I can recreate people by throwing nonworking memory cards at a cemetary? This new learning amazes me!

Only if you have the ghost of a memory card and throw really really really hard.
According to my calculations you need over 0.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999c.

That's a very very raptorish speed, c-ishly so even.

For decree:
Spoiler:
Hout Holz Fusta Holt Madera Ağac Hoiz Medėina Драўніна Дървесина Koad Drvo Fusta Chà Kahoy Dřevo Pren Træ Holz Ξύλο Lègn Wood Ligno Madera Puit Zur Puuaines Bois Holt Adhmad Fiodh Madeira Muk Drvo Bwa Fa Ligno Kayu Ńkú Qiruk Ligno Viður Legno Kayu Ағаш Lignum Holz Hout Legn Mediena Koksne Hazo Kayu Injam Lignammo Holt Hout Trevirke Treverk Fusta Bò Drewno Madeira Q'iru Lemn Lemnu Древесина Lignu Wid Drvo Drevo Les Alwaax Дрво Kai Trä Ubao Чӯб Kahoy Tahta Үзагач Деревина Yogʻoch Łegno Gỗ Out Kahoy Chhâ

I chickened out and took only words from languages I was sure are written left-to-right, for fear of mustarding up my editor.

ETA some links and fix spelling mustard.
Last edited by svenman on Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

thunk

1190: "Time": MAXIMUM COMAS YIELDS MAXIMUM OVARIES

Postby thunk » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:10 pm UTC

These avatar changes are getting a bit confusing. Blame patzer.

Svenman: that's a lot of wood there. Also a nice extended discussion on double-whatever forms.

Ergman: I may yet take you up on that offer, considering how busy CD is. He definitely needs a bit more time to make meals!

Eternal Density wrote:YARG! A bucket of gender fluid!

Oh, bless your heart, ED...
Also I'm glad you're feeling a bit better.
troo dat

macraw83

Re: Well, I bought my tickets.

Postby macraw83 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:22 pm UTC

[Blindpost=NP2288]

I have stumbled upon what I presume to be another Beacon:
AluisioASG wrote:
Hello OTTers, my old friends...[snip]
[spoiler][i]
Margrit had it right the moment she put her feet on the island. [snip][spoiler]

[center]Image
Do what you must.
Steakish Sound of Silence OTTy! Also, treeish (yet also, in the words of ergman from the post immediately after, spooky) story! I really need to go back and read all your stories again, seems like I'm forgetting some details that tie some of them together.

Though, if this is a Beacon, I'm at a loss for what its name is... the image URL hints that the lighthouse is in Marseille, so is that it?

[/Blindpost]

[BlindETA=NP2289]

According to mrob on the following NP, it is Beacon Lima. I do not know how, or why, but I can [spoiler] for an answer, as long as I need to.

[/BlindETA]

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np2319

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:10 pm UTC

SUNG...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:MAKE HABERDASHERY, NOT MEOWLPISHNESS

-- posted by oldpixbot

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:15 pm UTC

[Blindpost=NP2295]

I've just noticed that my MFFS allows me to view BFTF images (if embedded in the form of /bftf/bftf-WXYZ.png), but only sometimes, and it doesn't let me actually access botm.info or any of its pages. Epsilon.
[/Blindpost]

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:12 pm UTC

@ggh - glad you not bugged by Rosetta begging that the bags not bog the Cugan down. It's no big deal.

ggh wrote:I'm about to molpy down as soon as I post, so you see why I can't use 6am.
Are you usually acoma when the clock strikes six? (That's how I picked it.)
ggh wrote:ETA: Oh stink. There is a glow.
Not this time, I guess!

ggh wrote:I think even that will end, but maybe not before Green Day.
Green Day, the band? Are they ending?

mrob27 wrote:I'm pretty impressed that they'd fly in formation like that just for skywriting.
That's easier than actual, one-plane-draws-the-letters skywriting. It's pretty much just flying in a straight line and not bumping into each other. Which isn't a cinch, but it's straightforward.

lmjb1964 wrote:Ah, so you've heard how competitive orchestra auditions are. :)
I always bring my accordion case to any orchestra auditions I go to, no matter what instrument they are auditioning. They usually recognize it on sight, but if they ask me what's in the case, and I tell them it's my accordion, and ask if that's a problem.

I've never been turned down for a part.

lmjb1964 wrote:If you're searching for someone else it's not egotistical, unless of course you're searching to see what that person is saying about you.
But enough talking about me. Let's talk about you. How do you love my new play?

Yay ChronosDragon! No need to elaborate, but we all know you're working on a Space Accessor. It's supposedly very difficult, but since you already have a Time accessor, all you have to do is rotate it in an imaginary direction.

Voila! Space!

Neil_Boekend wrote:I think the markings mean "delicious".
This explains your present state of deadness, doesn't it.

@thunk - If life hands you mustard, make hotdogs.

thunk wrote:I am genuinely afraid I won't be able to get a reasonable-paying Outside Funding Source, and I'll die unhappy.
What is this "Outside" you speak of?

But seriously, life is seaish. We are but droplets in this vast ocean of opportunity... which is to say there's a seaful of molpishness coming your way. The first commandment is your friend.

It doesn't hurt to work hard, but never lose sight of the above.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

mrob27

1190: "Time": IF YOU KETCHUP IN ЯОЯЯІМ ТТО ƎНТ, YOU KETCHUP IN *REAL LIFE*!

Postby mrob27 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:23 am UTC

thunk wrote:WARNING: Compromised hotlink on NP 1957.

Did you tell @azule? It was just an inline image, an animated GIF emoticon of a cricket, which I suppose could be replaced with Image or anything that suggests the word "chirping".

karhell wrote:weeeeelll…. IIRC, Sustainabilizer has an archive of the video recordings, and there was a conjoined effort coordinated by mrob to anano…anomni…anonmitici… make the IRC logs anonymous which kinda stalled as I'm not sure whether there was actually a consensus about the method of delivery.

I anonymised the IRC logs, in a way that involves removing a lot of people who said very little and for whom we got no permission, plus manually deleting specific things that would give away information that is sensitive, like if someone said "mrob is sitting next to the blue thing right now" which would enable a viewer to put a face to "mrob".
  The method of delivery for the videos was the biggest problem that I remember. I suggested some kind of password-based access, and that the password would be described via crossword-type clues that OTTers could answer very easily (much easier than any of the crosswords that were actually posted here). I don't think anyone said what they thought of that.

thunk wrote:Morobu-Niju-Nana begins. The OTT becomes the animu it was always meant to be.

Hmmm… that would give the OTT a bit more in common with Homestuck.
BMT: Beanish Molpy Transport? Stand clear of the clasping paws, please.

I like that :D

azule wrote:I tried to fix what I could with the Zanclean Zodiac page […] I will just post the full list of links here / Frame 00: NP1728:16 / Frame 01: NP1728:17 / Frame 02: NP1729:2 / Frame 03: NP1729:23 / Frame 04: NP1729:25 / Frame 05: NP1729:30 / Frame 06: NP1734:14 / Frame 07: NP1734:25 / Frame 08: NP1740:17 / Frame 09: NP1749:1 / Frame 0A: NP1754:36 / Frame 0B: NP1758:25 / Frame 0C: NP1760:21 / Frame 0D: NP1762:8 / Frame 0E: NP1768:25 / Frame 0F: NP1774:34 / Frame 10: NP1777:13 / Frame 11: NP1789:21 / Frame 12: NP1792:1 / Frame 13: NP1797:39 / Frame 14: NP1804:15 / Frame 15: NP1808:29 / Frame 16: NP1809:19 / Frame 17: NP1811:29 / Frame 18: NP1813:2 / Frame 19: NP1814:37 / Frame 1A: NP1816:30 / Frame 1B: NP1818:12 / Frame 1C: NP1821:10 / Frame 1D: NP1822:29 / Frame 1E: NP1826:36 / Frame 1F: NP1832:11 / Frame 20: NP1843:5 / Frame 21: NP1855:5

Thanks @azule!
  I have to say the click-and-drag animation is excessively beautiful (and works in my Chrome browser, yay!).
  I see that the Zanclean Zodiac's mysteries were greater than @balthasar_s and I were thinking. We still don't have a full mirror of your creation, but now at least we seem to have enough information to know what would be involved in mirroring it. (Did anyone know about the ability to click-and-drag and the lovely three-layer animation that results?)

karhell wrote:Interesting, it seems linked pastposts containing quotes trigger notifications as if they were new. I just got 4 notifications from azule's list (NPs 1804, 1811, 1813, and 1818).

Yes, it's very clever. I like it. (If I retro-edit a post and add a quote of one of your posts, and if you have notifications turned on, it'll notify you. It also notifies you even if the quote had already been there and my edit was unrelated, so it's not quite so clever as a velociraptor. But definitely moving in that direction. I expect the notifications are still learning how to open doors.

ucim wrote:
Gingercat wrote:Wake me up when September ends.

Uh oh.
/
Green Day, the band? Are they ending?

I assumed @Gingercat was referencing the Green Day song with that title (from the 2004 album "American Idiot"), which has several associations, including 9/11 (unintended), Hurricane Katrina (impossible but retconned as a tribute), and the ravages of war (viz. Iraq, see the music video). Within the stage musical it is a lament for several things lost by Johnny and his two friends. This song fits most types of life-mustard. I supposed also that @Gingercat anticipates that whatever's going on might hopefully get less lifemustardish in a few mips.

thunk wrote:Actually, this image was made by some xuy listed in my signature in a campaign to draw pride dinos, in response to a request by some other xuy for this particular combination. I thought it was apropos to me

@thunk's avatar is now-whenishly similarИ to an avatar of @Vytron from 2014 Oct 31. I suppose it will change again.

balhasar_s wrote:I brought donuts to FFS. My co-FFSers were surprised.

At an old MFFS we had the convention that whoever was last to arrive at a meeting would bring the donuts the following weekϨ (and if nobody was late, the person leading the department would bring said confectionary). So now I wonder if @balthasar was late.

Eternal Density wrote:Sorry I haven't posted or recorded any Chemo Man lately. I only have one more dose left, which will be on Mondip.

Any kind of news is welcome. I did like the videos. My first performance as Chemo man (back when I was 22 yips old) lasted a lot longer, about 8 mips. No online video back then.

Thanks for the reply and explanation, @svenman! And OMCR, there actually have been double-trochees, and double-iambs too. I wonder why I didn't remember them? Both chose to follow Rule #6. It seems the more creative we get, the more rigidly orthodox :P I do like the extra rhyming, though. I agree, because the last syllable of an anapest is stressed, it kind of seems to want to be rhymed. That's my orthodoxy showing, sorry.

mrob27 Image (Image done, for now.)

Ϩ I thought it was a good idea, until the urge to get there on time got me into a road accident.

Иas in, pretty much exactly identical
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

thunk

1190: "Time": ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: CORINNE A SPOILERCAKE

Postby thunk » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:19 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:@thunk's avatar is now-whenishly similarИ to an avatar of @Vytron from 2014 Oct 31. I suppose it will change again.

Yup! Lot of changes recently.

I decided to post in the Avatar Game when I was image-less, as some other OTTers did at about the time I'm blitzing through. Nobody noticed until @patzer earlier this mornternoonving, who decided to make me a vythunk (thunktron was also suggested.)

Duty obliges me to wear this form for the allotted 48 hours, after which I will revert to the purple raptor.
troo dat

ggh

Re: 1190: "Time": THIS ЯОЯЯІМ ТТО IS TOO CH*RPING KEYBOARD-SMASHING

Postby ggh » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:02 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:The Royal Łazienki amphitheatre in Warsaw (Agrykoli 1 , 00-460 Warszawa , PL) is just the kind of place I'd love to see outdoor Shakespeare. This is what I call a "classical" theatre, i.e. something imitating the ancient Greek and Roman designs. This one has a canal separating the house from the stage (a moat for the fourth wall?), and some other beautiful features. Unfortunately, it only has half the number of large playwright statues (8 vs. 16) of the original.
  What is your favourite outdoor performance venue?
Ooh - that's really wingish! I would love to see something there!

It's funny - I know I've seen some venues that have really struck a chord with me, but nothing is springing to mind. If you're willing to include simple movie theatres, I love drive-ins.

They took a beating in the 80's, and some of my favourite landmarks look like this: (take note yappo)Image
But here's one that I still love to go to:
Spoiler:
I used to dream about starting up or, better yet, resuscitating a drive-in, but really, I don't think I'd be very good at any job that would require me to deal with large numbers of people who don't always behave well.

I haven't traveled much, but ten years ago I drove around in Australia for a week and a half (Melbourne to Darwin, via Perth) and I was excited to see that Broome had the oldest outdoor cinema still in operation. Silly me, I thought that outdoor cinema meant drive-in. Instead, it felt more like a pretty movie theatre without a roof:
Spoiler:
Instead of gas-guzzlers, cinema contained deck chairs. Would watch again anyways. :)

ChronosDragon wrote:My, my,
how the pages fly!
With such remarkable quickness.

I've begun, you see,
the great opportunity,
which to you I'd shown my eagerness

Part play
is my workday
in that dragon success

I proclaim
kin to a game
relies on much watercress.
Yay! Great to hear about your new gig, even if we can't hear about your new gig!
I tried to undo the redaction, based on the number of characters missing. Did I get it right?

Eternal Density wrote:A new song I listened to several times yesterday is Switchfoot's Float: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCmRks9FcrQ
It makes me feel molpish, which is an important function, as I've been feeling unmolpish lately.
Sorry I haven't posted or recorded any Chemo Man lately. I only have one more dose left, which will be on Mondip. I'm a fair amount recovered from last wip's seaish amount of chemo, but I'm still fairly weary.
Molpish wishes to you, ED! I clicked on that link, and my first thought when I heard "Turn it up so I can feel it," was that it was you singing. :) Neat song.

Ha! Enjoyed your cathedral story, svenman! Did you tell him you didn't realize what you were wearing? I don't know if that would make it better or worse....

svenman wrote:Indeed, I could and should have looked at the Ottish lexicon as well when I tried to identify possible double-anapest words. However, I think directly minting newwords for the sole purpose of using them in the sixth line of a double-dactyl (or a poem of related form) would be taking poetic licence too far: this kind of thing is more appropriate for the opening line. The line-spanning word of the sixth line should, IMO, be previously established already, or at least be cobbled together from recognizable words which are.
For me, words cobbled together are the bomb. Velicorhapsodies. Still makes me smile.

svenman wrote:
HES wrote:
svenman wrote:
HES wrote:...lost as in the lost Dent Arthur Dent...

Didn't you perhaps mean "late"?

I did not. That last domino was left as an exercise to the reader.

Now I'm wondering whether I've actually passed or failed a test here...
Me too, but I felt too sheepish to say anything.

ucim wrote:@ggh - glad you not bugged by Rosetta begging that the bags not bog the Cugan down. It's no big deal.
Commander Peter Quincy Taggart wrote:Tommy, can you get us closer to these mines?

and now ninja'd on the Green Day thing by mrob, and better, (thanks, mrob! :) )

Edit: let someone else do my talking for me :)
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np2330

Postby mscha » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:10 am UTC

ZUGZWUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by marchlight.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:NOW IF YOU'LL EXCUSE ME, I HAVE REVEALERS THE RECENT TO CH*RP

-- posted by oldpixbot

svenman

Postby svenman » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:24 am UTC

ggh wrote:Ha! Enjoyed your cathedral story, svenman! Did you tell him you didn't realize what you were wearing? I don't know if that would make it better or worse....

Sort of - I smacked my forehead and nodded with an apologetic smile. I assume that got the message across - I have no idea whether he would have understood English or German, and my Italian certainly wouldn't have been up to the job. Not that I really checked for his reaction, I then immediately turned around and walked out of the door again in (slight) embarassment.

And then there was something I wanted to comment on but had missed in my last ketchup:
ucim wrote:Sometimes I come across something I want to respond to but which will take some thought. I put it off... but then don't respond to other things because I don't want to have skipped the thing I want to think about.... and it cascades into either a seaish post (like this one) or a virtual post (one I've posted merely in my mind). Unfortunately, my mind has lots of empty space to hold these posts, but too thick a skull to allow them to tunnel out reliably.

That pretty much also describes why I haven't posted a wikification report in... let me check... sweet Lord Randall, ten mips?! Yeah, that's one of the things that keeps on bobbing around near the top of my to-do list, but always manages to evade actually getting done. (I'm sure many of you are familiar with the phenomenon.)
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:01 am UTC

svenman wrote:
ucim wrote:Sometimes I come across something I want to respond to but which will take some thought. I put it off... but then don't respond to other things because I don't want to have skipped the thing I want to think about.... and it cascades into either a seaish post (like this one) or a virtual post (one I've posted merely in my mind). Unfortunately, my mind has lots of empty space to hold these posts, but too thick a skull to allow them to tunnel out reliably.

That pretty much also describes why I haven't posted a wikification report in... let me check... sweet Lord Randall, ten mips?! Yeah, that's one of the things that keeps on bobbing around near the top of my to-do list, but always manages to evade actually getting done. (I'm sure many of you are familiar with the phenomenon.)
And then some! That quote (which I must have missed somehow or read when it was way too late) sounds so much like what I do, that at first I thought you might have misattributed something I said. I even have a PM in my inbox that's been in there unanswered for well over a month because I know answering it will require careful (or at least not careless) thought, and procrastination set in.

ETA: I don't understand what this page is and why Time is on it: http://wikiwordbook.info/xkyd
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

balthasar_s

Re: 1190: "Time": IF YOU KETCHUP IN ЯОЯЯІМ ТТО ƎНТ, YOU KETCHUP IN *REAL LIFE*!

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:47 am UTC

mrob27 wrote: So now I wonder if @balthasar was late.
But how would you explain the surprisedness then?
The real reason can be found in a recent post by thunk.
related: Today I was on an unusual bike ride: I was carrying a punsaw with me!
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

macraw83

Re: RAPTORCATS... IN SPACE!

Postby macraw83 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:55 am UTC

[Blindpost=NP2301]

I found a Temporal Edit:

mrob27 wrote:
Temporal Edit
Attention All Blitzers
Be the first to experience a new Time-themed amusement park
and resort, presently under development at an undisclosed location.
Your participation will help improve the experience that
our ImaginOTTifactors are designing for this unprecedented landmark
tourist attraction. If you are interested and have a free wip
or two during the summer (Tribulation through Deliverance, 2 A.T.),
reply by PM to Mrorl or Balthacarius before Newpix 19291.
— Meditemporaneous Holdings, L.L.C., np18525

What is this amusement park? Did it ever "open"? Did I somehow miss it by being a yip late to the party? Tune in for the next episode of
Spoiler:
Annoying theMinim!

[/Blindpost]

[BlindETA]

On a hunch, I checked the edit date on that post, and it was made 7 mips after the original post, which was after Deliverance, 2 A.T. Should it instead be 3 A.T.? If so, does that men there's still Time? :D

[BlindETA]

Gingercat

The Chronicles of Torgos, Vol. 1

Postby Gingercat » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:06 pm UTC

Incoming feel-good story! (Long, D&D-based, spoilered for seaishness) :)

Retroedit: Henceforth this shall be known as The Chronicles of Torgos!

Volume 1 is below:

Spoiler:
Last night, I joined a D&D group that I'd been courteously invited to by a friend. I've been wanting to join such a group ever since I knew D&D existed (so, roughly the time I discovered Icewind Dale / Baldur's Gate), although I've always loved dragons in general; getting invited to this was pure chance, we happened to start discussing D&D and he mentioned he was in a group. Fantastic group of people, very welcoming, happy to explain the quirks of the most up to date ruleset. The GM is amazing at adapting on-the-fly to the shenanigans his players get up to. I'd sum him up as "A plot on rails? Where we're headed, we don't need... Rails." or maybe just "Yeah, let's roll with that." as you'll see. His ability to adapt is epic.

So, I've joined the story (but not yet the existing party) as a Neutral Good Level 3 Transmuter Wizard. Some useful Cantrips ("cast-for-free" basic spells) including Firebolt and Prestidigitation, plus Magic Missile as one of the other spells I have available. My backstory includes knowledge on how to craft Potion of Frost Giant Strength and Potion of Mind Reading (I rolled very well when determining what was available to choose from; I chose these). Based on the fact that I had (story-wise) been faffing around in this town for a few months and was part of the local casual wizards meetup group, I needed a reliable way to gain income. Turns out, Potion of Mind Reading require "the brain of a sentient creature" to craft as one of their ingredients. I thought (heh) that this would be pretty hard to come by, until one of the other players suggested quietly "Goblins are considered sentient". The GM then thought up that I'd contracted some local rangers to bring me back some goblin heads every time they went out hunting in exchange for a fee (a genius solution I must say); overall, profitable in both directions since I'd sell my created potions at a profit, and they just had to bring back a sack of heads from creatures they're killing anyway - Easy money.

This particular evening, I was headed back to my lodgings after my usual contact failed to show (an unheard-of circumstance for my character until now). GM advises me to roll a Perception check... And I roll a natural 1. Thus, I "fail to notice anything of interest whatsoever in the alleys etc on my way back". (That worries me OOC; I know something's going to go down. An ambush? IC I'm simply too tired to even be looking.) I get back to my lodgings without incident and go to bed... Woken later in the night to a cold breeze coming from the (previously shut) window, shuffling in my room, whispers in a language unknown to me. I don't have Darkvision so I can't see anything at all, maybe make out a couple of humanoid shapes. Now I'm asked: "What do you want to do?" My first thoughts in-character are thus: I'm a low-level wizard, I have no armor or weapons, there are unknown creatures / robbers in my room. More than one, don't know how many. I check my available spells. Minor Illusion, to create a distraction and gain an advantage? Nope, requires me to speak, no good. So does Comprehend Languages. Damn. Prestidigitation? Doesn't require voice, but does require minor spell components in my bag of tools. Okay, roll a Dex check... 17. Lovely, I am able to completely silently gain possession of it, and with it, I create the illusion of a loud bashing knock on the door, and someone yelling (from the other side) "CITY GUARD, OPEN UP!"

This has an immediate effect, as you can imagine. The unknown visitors fall over themselves to get back out the 2nd-story window. I think to myself "Ha! The fall will do some big damage!". The GM rolls for reflex saves for six goblins. Two fail miserbly and take decent damage, three take very minor damage, and one rolls a natural 20 - The one with the big sack over his shoulder containing most of my stuff, of course! He fell out last, directly onto his less fortunate comrades. All of them take off running, with me rushing to the window and raining Firebolt cantrips down on their heads. A couple of my spells go wide, but some hit, one torches the previously unharmed goblin, destroying him. To get down and go after them, I need to roll an Athletics check (with bonuses; there are vines, trellises etc on the wall, easy footholds in the brickwork...) I roll a natural 20. Right, no problems there then!

At this point, we've got five goblins still alive. I make sure with the GM that if I pursue, my stuff won't be looted by passerby. He agrees. The one furthest ahead manages to escape with his life and little else due to poor attack and damage rolls by me, one more is killed outright by a Magic Missile, and the remaining three are incapacitated enough for me to consider interrogating them (they will die without intervention). For the first, I roll badly on my Medicine check, and he perishes. For the next, I roll sufficiently to stabilize him, then I decide to try and save the third as well; my logic is that while they're from the same group, they may know different info. I roll well for him too, and now I have two goblins to interrogate... If I can get them back to my room without incident. An excellent roll for my ability to hog-tie them (Acrobatics skill I think?), another excellent one for climbing back into my room with them (and their dead comrades; need those brains!) and we're in business.

Here's where it gets more interesting. I ask if I have any Potions of Mind Reading left over, GM rolls a check, and... nope. I'll need to craft some using the freshly donated brains I've acquired... Right in front of their still-living comrades, who are now bound, weaponless, and watching with utter horror and helplessness while this goes on, probably thinking they're next.

I consume a potion, then consider who to interrogate. The GM needs to check how intelligent these two are, for an idea of what sort of thoughts I'd see in their minds. For the first, he rolls... an 86! Definitely one of the more elite when it comes to goblin intelligence, quite a rarity. For the second... he rolls a natural 100. Seriously. I've managed to capture the most intelligent goblin ever observed by humankind, and his nearly-as-smart comrade.

I begin to interrogate the 100-roll goblin (equivalent to roughly 10 Int as a standard character, able to speak Common fluently, etc, absolutely unheard of for a goblin) and he fails his rolls to resist, every time he has the opportunity. Through reading his mind, I learn that he and his crew got very tired of my Ranger friend picking off his clan, trapped him, interrogated him until he gave a description of me and my location, then killed him. (In hindsight, perfectly fair.) Their plan was to raid my room, kill me in my sleep, and escape with my stuff as revenge for their fallen. Nothing more devious than that. Now I'm actually feeling sorry for them. (Throughout this, the other players are watching all this going on with amused fascination, sometimes with evil suggestions I decline because "my character is Good-aligned, so he wouldn't do that".) Given that I'm at quite a severe advantage here, I have a few options:

1, kill them and move on, the encounter finished (they're helpless)
2, threaten / intimidate them into doing a service for me (major advantage to rolls since they're already terrified and have made peace with their god, thinking I'm just going to kill them now)
3, persuade them to do a service for me (no major advantage per se; they utterly hate and fear me at this point)

1 seemed like an utter waste (how often will you see goblins this smart??), 2 had the likelyhood of them simply bolting and hiding from me forever, but 3? Yeah, 3 I could work with, especially given my alignment. First I checked whether there was much risk in removing their bonds as a show of goodwill. No real risk; they're exhausted, badly wounded and terrified, so they won't even try to flee, knowing it's futile to try. I do so after explaining that I'd rather come to an agreement with them than kill them. This gets their attention.

The agreement I offer is that they perform scouting for me in return for rewards for any useful information (locations of ruins, creatures of interest, unusual human activity, etc). They immediately understand that not only do they get to live, but there's also the possibility of golden shinies! They agree to this immediately, and I perform a short binding ritual so I can easily find them anywhere they go if I need to (as insurance). To really up the ante, I also provide them with 100 gold crowns to take back to their chieftain to assist in convincing him that I'm worth aiding (as well as the fact that I won't be hunting their clan anymore; in fact I have a vested interest in protecting them!). You can imagine their reaction, this is more cash than their clan has ever seen, and will aid them immensely in surviving the clan wars that are always going on.

So now I'm allied with the smartest goblins ever seen and (presumably) their clan, which will give me eyes and ears in many places. Plus there's the possibility of training these two as assistant wizards. All this from a standard "Your room is invaded by a band of goblins" encounter based on an utterly failed Perception check. If anything at all had turned out differently along the way, this outcome wouldn't exist!

No wonder the GM said "Well, that didn't go as I expected".

I am absolutely itching to see what happens next week.

-> Volume 2
Last edited by Gingercat on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:51 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:01 pm UTC

That sounds like a great time! I've never played D&D, nor watched it being played, but that amazing description made me feel like I understood what was going on - neat!

Balthalumberjack, what did you see saw?
Agatha the Awesomeful

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:06 pm UTC

I only delivered it.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

mrob27

1190: "Time": TAIXZO_S, I'VE GOT A FEELING WE'RE NOT IN BOTOPIA ANYMORE

Postby mrob27 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:10 pm UTC

ggh wrote:ETA: I don't understand what this page is and why Time is on it: http://wikiwordbook.info/xkyd

The same info also appears at e.g. wikiwordbook.info/xked, but only the first bit about xkcd is at wikiwordbook.info/xcd and wikiwordbook.info/xckd
  The stated purpose of the site is to aid a visitor in "selection of a name for their company website, and the like", and apparently they're trying to help the visitor avoid combinations of letters for which a similar combination of letters is already used for another thing that might be a competing product or might confuse a customer, etc. I think it might also be useful for solving various types of word puzzles where you have a hint or clue and already know some of the letters.
  None of this answers the "why is Time on it?" part of your question, but do we ever need a reason for that? :P

macgraw83 wrote:What is this amusement park? Did it ever "open"?

Keep on Blitzin' :D And remember when you board the rides, stand clear of the clasping paws.

Thanks for the RPGing story @Gingercat! (and best wishes on the life-mustard thing :( )

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:36 pm UTC

Gingercat wrote:No wonder the GM said "Well, that didn't go as I expected".

Having both DM'd and played a few campaigns of D&D, I can tell you that it never goes as the DM expects, unless the players are very boring :D That's why the best DMs are skilled improvisationalists -- and it doesn't hurt to also be a writer, actor, accountant, war strategist, diplomat...It's a job that requires wearing many hats.

And of course, we can all get behind any job involving superfluous head accoutrements.

Speaking of which, thunk, I profess myself ready to "hat" you at your leisure, should you wish to take back up the request which you had offered. A good hat is hard to find, or so I've heard.

svenman

Re: 1190: "Time": TAIXZO_S, I'VE GOT A FEELING WE'RE NOT IN BOTOPIA ANYMORE

Postby svenman » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:41 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:
ggh wrote:ETA: I don't understand what this page is and why Time is on it: http://wikiwordbook.info/xkyd

The same info also appears at e.g. wikiwordbook.info/xked, but only the first bit about xkcd is at wikiwordbook.info/xcd and wikiwordbook.info/xckd
  The stated purpose of the site is to aid a visitor in "selection of a name for their company website, and the like", and apparently they're trying to help the visitor avoid combinations of letters for which a similar combination of letters is already used for another thing that might be a competing product or might confuse a customer, etc. I think it might also be useful for solving various types of word puzzles where you have a hint or clue and already know some of the letters.
  None of this answers the "why is Time on it?" part of your question, but do we ever need a reason for that? :P

I'd guess that the content was scraped from various Wikipedia articles, including those on xkcd and xkcd Time. I also suspect that bots play a part in this. Not sure how much that explains.

Glad to read you have something molpish happening to you, Gingercat! Enjoyed reading about it, too.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:32 pm UTC

Well, the audition is over. It was. I'm afraid, quite m*stardful. There were things I was prepared to play and things I was not prepared to play. They started off with the things I was not prepared to play, and I never even got to play the things I was prepared to play. So, I choked. I suppose at some point I'll be glad I did it? RIght now I'm drinking a beer and trying not to cry, and also trying to decide if 1) I should practice more or 2) give up percussion forever. :cry:

Reading your awesomeful posts is making me fell less *ndish, as it always does. Gingercat's story makes me want to go and play D&D.

Thanks for being there!

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:46 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Well, the audition is over. It was. I'm afraid, quite m*stardful. There were things I was prepared to play and things I was not prepared to play. They started off with the things I was not prepared to play, and I never even got to play the things I was prepared to play. So, I choked. I suppose at some point I'll be glad I did it? RIght now I'm drinking a beer and trying not to cry, and also trying to decide if 1) I should practice more or 2) give up percussion forever. :cry:

Reading your awesomeful posts is making me fell less *ndish, as it always does. Gingercat's story makes me want to go and play D&D.

Thanks for being there!

Sorry it didn't go well. But, sometimes things don't go perfectly; and you need to
Spoiler:
Hi, Corrine!

It'll go better next time! I believe in you!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:56 pm UTC

Thank you!!! That means so much! :)

And hi Corinne! See, I didn't even spoiler it. :)

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

yappobiscuits

Re: 1190: "Gooooorn..."

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:35 pm UTC

In reference to my pope-post, I actually saw a Volpy in the park todip! Not something you see very often so a funny coincidence that I posted about them yesterdip and then see one todip.

And doesn't anyone get the reference in the decree? Hmm, "Decree", that's a bit of a tinny sort of word isn't it... "Proclamation". "Injunction". Much better woody alternatives.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:42 pm UTC

Just lurking in and saw this:

lmjb1964 wrote:Well, the audition is over. It was. I'm afraid, quite m*stardful. There were things I was prepared to play and things I was not prepared to play. They started off with the things I was not prepared to play, and I never even got to play the things I was prepared to play. So, I choked. I suppose at some point I'll be glad I did it? RIght now I'm drinking a beer and trying not to cry, and also trying to decide if 1) I should practice more or 2) give up percussion forever. :cry:

Thanks for being there!

Sorry to hear about the m*stard. Keep your chin up and all that. Images to you, my friend.

UNGwards towards an uncertain future.
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Peace to you all.
Keep Waiting.....
I'd tell you about some of the reasons I haven't been back, but that would be whining.
ETA
Hey, Hi there Yappo Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:51 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:RIght now I'm drinking a beer and trying not to cry, and also trying to decide if 1) I should practice more or 2) give up percussion forever. :cry:

Prediction - seven beers later:
...so then he asks me what I want to do. I know I have nothing prepared for the glass harmonica, so I ask if I've still got a positive for-the-hell-of-it momentum balance. The GM mishears me, and thinks that I said "halibut", so he volunteers that although I'm out of halibut, I've still got a fluke charm in my witcher creel. I decide to give that a try, and I roll a natural 47 for my serendipity check, which is unheard of! So I approach the glass harmonica with confidence, but just as I'm almost there, I hear one of the judges mutter that he's always hated the ch*rping glass harmonica and he just can't wait to reject me and go for lunch. In my deflated distraction I trip on the stage, straight into the glass harmonic which shatters into tiny shards flying as if out of a crystal gatling gun. The GM suggests that I roll for trajectory - and can you believe it - I roll a natural 489.8! The shards fly across the stage in exactly the right pattern to play Grieg's Piano Concerto in A minor on a gong that happens to be set up in a gentle spotlight, and simultaneously the fluke rearranges itself into an amazing casserole which drops onto the table in front of the hungry judge. The judge only rolled an F natural for resistance, so not only did I get the gig, but also a week in the Bahamas and a free bambillo pillow set.

You're awesomeful, Laura. This is going to be a look-back-and-laugh story.
Agatha the Awesomeful

mrob27

1190: "Time": IN BOTOPIA, NOMOLPY CAN HEAR YOU FOREGOAT.

Postby mrob27 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:05 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:And doesn't anyone get the reference in the decree?

I took it at face value: I figured you were suggesting a simple constrained writing exercise: compose my post using words that have certain phonemes, and avoiding other phonemes, defined by their similarity to the woodwinds and brass instruments. For example, in the IPA vowel chart, the ones on the left are tinny, the ones on the right are woody.
  It's more likely you also refer to the Monty python sketch, which is where I first encountered the concept of woody/tinny words. At any rate, I understood the decree in a way that was conducive to doing something creative and interesting, but I wasn't really in the mood for constrained writing todip.

mrob27 Image (and Image )

(perhaps the next mome/pope can extend the woodecree…)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”