1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

addams

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby addams » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:05 am UTC

Mscha; They say a picture is worth a thousand words.
The (Colorization by Ebonite.) you brought from July 2013 is.

uh-oh...Page Pope, again.
See?? (talk too much)

I liked having The Weather as the predominate topic of the page.
We can't fall into Thread Rut, the way balthasar_s fell in Road Rut.

Pope Degree; Attempt to teach Addams a computer skill.
Last page proved, I can learn. Keep it simple!
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

ggh

Re: x2 combo

Postby ggh » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:37 am UTC

balthasar_s wrote:There are six buttons.
Oh dear....
Have any been pushed?

balthasar_s wrote:Actually the whole road was just made of parallel strips of various depths.
And it was all made of frozen mud. So all shapes were completely solid.
And, additionally many of them were filled with some water.
Frozen water.
The ice was thick enough that the front wheel cold go on it without breaking it. But it did break under the rear wheel in such a way that the bike would get stuck and stop.
And it was still dark.
So it was very difficult. Even walking there was challenging.
This was a little too much for me.
I started shouting random sounds out of anger.
What I wouldn't give to see a video of this!
But then... the way you describe it, I feel like I have seen it.
If I feel great admiration for you, and empathy, and I laugh at the same Time. Is that wrong?

ucim wrote:Leave your work behind.
It will be waiting for you
when you return home.
Loved your haiku-em, but I couldn't help but hear two more words appended. But then, that would make it 5-7-7... what if I change the last line to make room?:
    Leave your work behind
    It will be waiting for you
    Waiting, and with friends.
Now, that I think of it though, maybe they're not "friends". Maybe there are so many unfinished tasks waiting for me because they're busy chirping when I'm not looking.

ucim wrote:
addams wrote:I thought, "Its like a Fellini Film from the 1960's."
Such a silly thing to think.

How would I know??
I've never watched Fellini Films.
I wonder the same thing about descriptions of wine flavors. How many people have actually tasted some of the things that are used to describe wine?
I say that scotch is peaty all the time. I've never smelled burning peat.

ucim wrote:The thing about "not being in the mood to post" is something I just noticed, not (necessarily) something that is new. But I find it an interesting observation. Anyone else find this describes them sometimes?
Absolutely.

ucim wrote:I think it sometimes has to do with pending and uncompleted thoughts. I may wanto torespond to one post, but am not ready to respond to another post, but don't want to be "ignoring" the other post
Oh yes - that too!

thunk wrote:The Mongols, clearly.
Wow - treeish!
Thanks for introducing me to that series!

ucim wrote:
addams wrote:Yes! The map will allow me to edit my location.
I am now located south of Canberra, Australia.
If only it could edit my actual location.

Click - Bam! - I'm sitting on a tropical beach!
Time to use that pool covering to make a raft!

I am picturing the specific address that addams put herself into to be the meeting place of ED's python user's group. Suddenly your predicament looks manageable, Jose....

So addams... I got the impression from something you said before that you don't use bookmarks. Is that true?
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

addams

Postby addams » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:59 pm UTC

ggh wrote:So addams... I got the impression from something you said before that you don't use bookmarks. Is that true?

No. No. That's not true.
I use Bookmarks and Reading List.

I'm fairly sure I use them Wrong.
Spoiler:
Especially Bookmarks.

I have no idea how to remove an item from bookmarks.
I must have hundreds of Bookmarked items.

I have no idea how to search Bookmarks, efficiently.
Therefore; My Bookmarks are like a pile of books.
I am very much like the comic svenman linked to.

Bold request:
Can you teach me how to Trash unloved Bookmarks.
Then; Maybe,...I can find Beloved Bookmarks.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:38 pm UTC

What browser do you use?

Disclaimer: I'm going back to bed soon and may not see your reply for a while.
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

balthasar_s

Re: x6 combo

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:17 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Have any been pushed?
No.
But don't worry about the number. All 6 are next to each other in a nice row.

If I feel great admiration for you, and empathy, and I laugh at the same Time. Is that wrong?
I don't think so. I'm laughing about this now too.

I told about the two words game.
Today I would like to tell about two other games that also lead to creation of silly stories.

First one is called "szalony komiks"¹ (a crazy comic)
It's played by 2 or more people. 2 is the best number. If more, there is too much waiting.²
On a sheet of paper one person starts by drawing a rectangle in the top left corner.
Inside the rectangle the player draws the first panel of a comic.
The next player adds another rectangle and another comic panel in it.
And so on.
The level of detail and drawing quality is not very high. Usually a bit lower than in most bftf frames.
More important is the content, and the time of drawing this.
The next panel must somehow make sense to be a continuation of the previous one.
It makes much fun to draw in the next panel something that the other played doesn't expect but it still makes sense.
There are no rules of what can or can not be done in the comic but we try to avoid some kinds of deus-ex-machinas or other things that would break the game.
It's most often played when sitting together in a train. This doesn't happen frequently these days.

Another one I don't think could even be called a game, as there are no rules. The name is "kosmiczne bzdety" (I don't know how to translate this correctly). It's about telling weird stories.
It started from a thing That I and my cousin did.
When meeting each other we would greet each other with silly questions like: "Hi, how is the teleportation research going?", "Have you heard they cancelled Wrocław" (a city), "Is time travel popular in your school?", "Who will you vote for in the next president-of-world elections?", "I heard you're illegally transporting secret micro-dogs", etc.
To such silly questions we answered as if they were completely serious.The answer was also pretending to be serious.
We often continued the conversation, talking about made-up, weird things and stories as if they were completely normal, real, everyday things.
We knew that this is just a game and had much fun with it.

In a new "story" we often made references to previous ones and to other things that were funny or cool to us.

These two games were the source of many jokes and memes that we (I and a few other people) shared.
We made references to them on various occasions.
Sometimes a character/situation/thing from the comic game appeared later in the story game.
Sometimes the references became self referencial and recursive.

One example.
Some characters created in a game, these were two creatures made of stone. We called them "skalniacy" ("skała" means rock). They were known for trolling our main characters. Mainly by causing explosions or reprogramming robots. Their programming style was very epsilonish. They were once hired to program some tunnel-digging-and-portal-opening robots. Some actual programmers looked at their code later. After seeing it they didn't want to be programmers anymore.
Anyway, they became famous enough, for their shenanigans, that someone made video games about them: "skalniacy adventures".
Main features of the games are epsilonish mechanics and incomplete translations.
We went one step further.
If there can be a "skalniacy adventures" game then why couldn't be a "kosmiczne bzdety" game.
So in one game we decided that there is a (made up) "kosmiczne bzdety" videogame.
To the list of possible conversations were added those about our progress the game.
We would talk about obstacles encountered in the game.
So there would be a game about the universe of "kosmiczne bzdety" in which there is a game about the universe of "kosmiczne bzdety" in which there is a game... and so on.

But why am I telling this now?
When I'm making my films or other things I sometimes like to insert references to some things which might be originated from one of the games.
Some examples:
In the animated part of the "don't fall asleep" (Nie Śpij) film, the guy in a hat shouting "hey" is a character created while playing the crazy comic game.
In the same film, when I start talking about a swimming pool in space, it's actually a reference to an improvised song.
In the "Uncle Scienceman: the Earth is flat" film the Uncle Scienceman is a character created even before those games but he appeared in them (and in some my comics) multiple times.

Even in OTT-related things I did this.
The username "FTH" is actually a second-level (or maybe even third) reference to something from one story game.

Why would I do this?
This practice is known as "easter eggs" and apparently many people do this.
But what's the point of making easter eggs that will be understood by 3 or 4 people who are not even the audience of the thing I'm putting them in?
I do not know.

² am I being heretical again?
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

thunk

Re: 1190: "Nine Silvers for a Ham"

Postby thunk » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:30 pm UTC

Because injokes are fun.

Baltamyrrh wrote:kosmiczne bzdety

So, "cosmic trifles"? Though I'm not sure either.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:58 am UTC

thunk wrote:Because injokes are fun.

Sounds like a much grander version of the scrumptious donut!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

thunk

Postby thunk » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:16 am UTC

taixzo wrote:
thunk wrote:Because injokes are fun.

Sounds like a much grander version of the scrumptious donut!

Well then, time to go back to the Piast! (as in EUIV)
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:53 am UTC

New OtherComic.
Eternal Density's signature wrote:My thoughts on the new Star Wars
Wait For It.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:34 am UTC

ggh wrote: So addams... I got the impression from something you said before that you don't use bookmarks. Is that true?

No, ggh; That's not true.
I use bookmarks.

I have hundreds of Bookmarks.
I don't use the bookmark tool effectively.

I don't know how to delete nor search for specific Bookmarks.
It is like having a Library of books disorganized and piled thigh high.

My lack of computer skills is not only a function of age and inexperience.
Part of my lack of skills is a function of experience; I've seen bad things.

I am not Adventuresome with the Wide Open World Wide Web.
I am a teeny-tiny bit Paranoid. I don't want to risk my machine.

"Warning; Warning, Will Robertson!"
The following clip is all about viruses and mal-ware.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wopM3A3tyTw

Thinking. Thinking.
I've been thinking.

I take it back!
I take back my decree to teach me technology.

I take my decree and throw it in the Sea.
The Sea is Big and it does what it wants.
Spoiler:
The internet is Big and full of Saints, The knowledgeable,Trolls, the Under Educated and Frogs.

And; I apologize to each and every Time Poster,
That decree might lead us to chirping/mustard.

Time Thread you are so special, kind and without flame.

Like an irreplaceable work of art, like a child,
like a small village with a unique culture;
You, Time, are unusual and treasured.

You should never be put at risk from the outside.

Maybe, I am over reacting.
Maybe, I am a tired Poster.

Maybe, I will sleep a while.Just, maybe.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:41 pm UTC

addams wrote:And; I apologize to each and every Time Poster,
If the decree leads to mustard, we'll clean it up.
I think it's unlikely that the decree will lead to chirping, but if it does, so be it. I doubt anyone would demand an apology for that.

Do you use Chrome as your browser? I think I could talk you through organizing Chrome bookmarks.

What's happeninh?!!?? Balthasar's sig had autogenerated text that said, It's happeninh!, but now it's gone and I didn't get to take a screen shot. :(

Speaking of balthasar, and also of needing tech help: I am pretty stink at time-wikia formatting. I just added a bunch of stuff about balthasar's post subjects to the wiki (here), but I'm finding even indenting correctly to be hard. Can anyone help make this more readable, or even give me some pointers?

ETA: I've got the indentation a bit better, but there's still plenty of room for improvement. And now I've got this awful, bloated Table of Contents I don't want....
Last edited by ggh on Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Agatha the Awesomeful

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

THEY SEE ME SNAKE-STANDIN', THEY UNBASEMENTIN'

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:05 pm UTC

It is ridiculously late at nip/early in the mornip and I should be a-coma, but I'm trying to upload some videos to the interwebs. They're big videos and it's taking a very long time, so it seemed like an excellent Time to Time.

Also, being yappocized myself, I figured it was a good Time to finally listen to the songs yappo recently posted. They were, of course, steakish and awesomeful and funny.

addams, I will call you to teach you how to put on your hat. (Thanks for finding it, ggh!) Not tomorrip, though; I have to work, and then have back-to-back rehearsals. which would be a very good reason to get some sleep...

I'm enjoying the back and forth between ggh and balthasar, even though I don't understand it. But balthasar, I love hearing about your games. You and your friends sound very funny and very creative. I love the nonsense-question one especially. Wonder if I could get anyone I know to play it?

And sorry for your recent misadventures, balthabiker, but it sounds like it all came out all right in the end. But did you have another 3 nopix ride back home? :(

Re: Jose's observations, I wouldn't say I'm ever not in a mind to post. Usually when I come to the OTT I plan to post, but sometimes there are too many treeish things to respond to and I end up not saying anything. And then getting sucked back Outside for a while.

Thank you for posting the Philosopher football video, addams. I somehow had never seen that skit.

As far as flavors in wine, sometimes it's not necessarily something you've tasted, but something you've smelled. For instance, I can't stand goat cheese, and I say it's because it tastes like a goat. But actually it tastes like a goat smells, which is not particularly appealing to me. I took one wine class where you had to describe what you tasted in the wine. There was no right or wrong. I said one wine had a flavor like Bandaids. I've never tasted Bandaids, but the flavor reminded me of the smell of Bandaids. Sometimes a wine can be jammy, or peppery. And some of them are minerally, and some taste of herbs, some taste like fruit. . . Of course, there are people who get carried away and can be pretentious about it.

I'll take an order of cosmic trifle, please.

Good luck on this last leg of your degree, Link!!

Argh, the video is only at 68%. :(

I have not yet started my brick patio. I have another project that I'm hoping to have done before Christmas which I am woefully behind on, especially since I don't really know what I'm doing (building a bar cabinet). But there was a request for a picture of the costume I made for the Dickens Fair. I had a pictuer of the hoop petticoat I repaired, but must have deleted it. But here I am with my BF in our regalia.
Spoiler:

Well, the upload is still only at 79%, but I better go to bed, since it's (*looks at clock*) Crap. I will be hating life tomorrip. :cry:

RSIR
Spoiler:
No kitty, sorry.
me and Ken Dickens16.jpg

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:00 pm UTC

Ketched up after four dips in the OutsideH. I liked balthagame_s' adventures, lmjb'S RF dress, the cosmic trifles (way better than the "cosmic crap" I get from Google translator), and all the other awesomeful stuff that's happeninh.

GnomeAnne wrote:New OtherComic.

Thanks for holding up the Flame of OtherComic Posting! For completeness, I think the OTT is still missing the link to the OtherComic before that, so here we go.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

balthasar_s

It's the part where events finally start taking place.

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:01 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:
ggh wrote:Ha! Treeish! I should have guessed!
I'm confused.
What should you have guessd?
What the movie would be.
But there is more than one possibility.
It could as well have been something like this.
(I'm not good at this at all. The only reason I recorded this is this post :) )

lmjb1964 wrote:But did you have another 3 nopix ride back home? :(
The return was like this:
10 minutes on bike to the train station,
10 minutes waiting for the train,
40 minutes by train,
90 minutes on bike from the station to home.

In the trains I often use to get to FFS they installed a voice announcement system.
the recording of one station name is missing.
So the announcement is:
"Next station: "
And that's all.

Game-related: "You see? I was right when I told you that they are cancelling the city. They already started from this station!"

ggh wrote:it would be like watching the Thomas the Tank Engine show to learn about current issues in freight scheduling and line maintenance costs.
I like this comparison.

ggh wrote:What's happeninh?!!??

Sorry, typo.
I noticed some intensification of the 80236 server activity after it reconnected. I didn't have much time to do something about it.

You might be wondering why I answered your questions from coincidence here and not there.
I wanted to avoid talking about the ott there.
Why?
mrob27 wrote: or who travel back in time to meet themselves (despite the embarrassment this usually causes)
A meeting of an OTT balthasar with a BFTF (or BSTA) balthasar would probably be embarrassing as well.
BSTA
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

addams

Postby addams » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:56 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
addams wrote:And; I apologize to each and every Time Poster,
If the decree leads to mustard, we'll clean it up.

oh...Thank you.
For a moment, I forgot;
You and other Posters have Magical Technological Skills.
Spoiler:
It Looks Like Magic, To Me!
ggh wrote:What browser do you use?

I hope you slept well.
They called that, "Sleeping the Sleep of the Just".

'They' were my GrandParents, Great-GrandParents and their Parents.
The children today don't talk like that. More's the shame. (tisk-tisk)

Yet; It seems the people in balthasar_s' family still talk in a similar manner.
balthasar_s wrote:It's most often played when sitting together in a train.
This doesn't happen frequently these days.

Another one I don't think could even be called a game, as there are no rules.
The name is "kosmiczne bzdety" (I don't know how to translate this correctly). It's about telling weird stories.
It started from a thing That I and my cousin did.
When meeting each other we would greet each other with silly questions like: "Hi, how is the teleportation research going?", "Have you heard they cancelled Wrocław" (a city).

But why am I telling this now?
balthasar_s; Please excuse me for removing The Rules.

I use Safari.
I'm so sorry, I use Safari.

I could download Chrome or Firefox one of these fine days.
One of these days when the hot blood of a brave hero runs through my veins.

A hero, like a hero from one of balthasar_s and his cousin's stories.
Oops!
Outside calls.
Spoiler:
Even me.
The OutSide calls for me, too, someTimes.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:04 pm UTC

Wow, my internet connection at home is ridiculously nonraptorcattish. It took seconds to upload those videos on the wifi at work. :?

I just wanted to say thanks to all the wiki warriors and to all the new OtherComic posters, your work is always much appreciated!

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:39 pm UTC

I hope you're doing okay today, Laura Mae!
I loved both your fancy threads! It's funny - last night, I had stumbled across when this was mentioned before and was thinking that I might poke you again for a photo. And POOF! Here it is! Thanks!

balthasar_s wrote:
ggh wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:
ggh wrote:Ha! Treeish! I should have guessed!
I'm confused.
What should you have guessd?
What the movie would be.
But there is more than one possibility.
It could as well have been something like this.
(I'm not good at this at all. The only reason I recorded this is this post :) )
Heehee. :) Possibility, yes, but not a probability.
balthasar_s wrote:Game-related: "You see? I was right when I told you that they are cancelling the city. They already started from this station!"
:shock:
balthasar_s wrote:
ggh wrote:What's happeninh?!!??

Sorry, typo.
I noticed some intensification of the 80236 server activity after it reconnected. I didn't have much time to do something about it.
That doesn't sound like automatically-generated text....

This thing that's happening - are we missing it?
balthasar_s wrote:You might be wondering why I answered your questions from coincidence here and not there.
I wanted to avoid talking about the ott there.
Why?
mrob27 wrote: or who travel back in time to meet themselves (despite the embarrassment this usually causes)
A meeting of an OTT balthasar with a BFTF (or BSTA) balthasar would probably be embarrassing as well.
Oh, right.
Am I a different me in BSTA?

addams wrote:I hope you slept well.
They called that, "Sleeping the Sleep of the Just".

I use Safari.
I'm so sorry, I use Safari.
I'm not sure if it was the Sleep of the Just. Possibly just the Sleep of the Knackered. Or... maybe it was the Sleep of the Just, insofar as it was Just Sleep.

We can do this Safari bookmarks thing. First, give a few thoughts about which bookmarks are important to you most frequently.

There are two main places to have bookmarks: the bookmark bar in your browser and up in the menu bar.
The bookmark bar is quicker to click, but more limited in space.
The bookmark area up in the menu is slightly less accessible, but more roomy inside.

Really - if one of them didn't exist, you'd get by just fine with the other.
It's up to you where you'd like to keep your stuff.
Here's what I do:
Bookmarks Bar:
    Time
    weather folder
    webmail
    freecycle sites folder
    shopping sites folder
    websites for the Little Wonder folder
    bank login
    diaper loyalty rewards program website (it's a story not worth telling)
Menu Bookmark folders:
    recipes
    xkcd
    diy
    ideas for the Little Wonder
    tech
    image processing
    plants
    costumes
    good times
    health
    neat articles
    car
    gardening
    + about 30 bookmarks that I haven't organized into folders
Some of the folders have subfolders, like cookies in recipes and Beanish in xkcd.

This is on Chrome, but Safari is mostly the same. I'm pretty happy with being able to find bookmarks, even though there's obviously a lot of mess in there too.
What do you think, addams? Do you think your bookmarks could be organized into folders if we show you how?

Edit: car, gardening. Not car gardening. Although that would be treeish.
Agatha the Awesomeful

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:07 am UTC

Ninja'd, but still works as an addendum:
It has been some time since I last used safari, but if I recall, the bookmark manager is in the bookmark menu under "view all bookmarks" or something of that ilk.

There you can sort bookmarks into folders by selecting "new folder" to make a folder,
then selecting the bookmarks you want and
dragging them to the appropriate folders.

Bookmarks can be deleted by selecting them
and pressing the 'delete' key.

I believe selecting the bookmark and pressing 'return' allows you to rename and edit the
bookmarks.

My bookmarks are not well organised.
I have a folder for school projects, a folder for Time, a folder for projects I wish I had time for, and many, many, unorganized bookmarks of pages I have not visited in a long time and will probably never use.

ZoomanSP wrote:For completeness, I think the OTT is still missing the link to the OtherComic before that, so here we go.

Many thanks. Life in the outside has been somewhat hectic of late, and I did not see that one until you posted it.
Wait For It.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:34 am UTC

So, ggh, not this?

Do I know what BTSA is? Because I don't think I know. :( Maybe that's why I'm always so confused about the conversations between you and balthasar.

RSIR:
Spoiler:
But no kitty. :(

car.jpeg
car.jpeg (6.36 KiB) Viewed 11961 times

redund.png
redund.png (3.33 KiB) Viewed 11961 times

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

addams

Postby addams » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:04 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Wow, my internet connection at home is ridiculously nonraptorcattish. It took seconds to upload those videos on the wifi at work. :?

I just wanted to say thanks to all the wiki warriors and to all the new OtherComic posters, your work is always much appreciated!

oh,...Honey; I'm so sorry.
They say a very slow internet connection is sometimes a 'sign' of a computer virus.
Like a fever and lethargy are signs of a virus in a human beings.

ahh! Don't do Anti-Virus!

Look to a professional.
Like, a real Doctor for computers.

Ick. gack. worry and fuss.
Inside the Spoiler are two U-Tube clips about illnesses of computers.
Spoiler:
Number One: 9min 35sec long. (history of malware)
From SciShow, an interesting and educational series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF8Ka8Jh0BQ

Number Two: 11min 6sec (serious up date on malware)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wopM3A3tyTw
Again, from SciShow. SciShow is not always scary.
At 6min 11sec the speaker addresses Anti-Virus.

Here. From SciShow and not scary.
This is about Cats purring. Now, it is all better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KowU4tPi7Q
Inside this Spoiler is all Sweetness and Delight.
lmjb1964 plus One! ...So, Pretty! Yey! Pretty!

Spoiler:

Thank you for the photo! How delightful!
You look so pretty. We live in Amazing Times!

You can dress so pretty and formal the way people dressed one hundred years ago.
At the same Time you can drive a car, carry a cell phone
and send messages to outer space and back.

lmjb1964; Will you send us a clip of your music?
Yappo gave us an 'Ear Worm' and made us laugh.

Most of us know you are a musician.
May we hear you play? Someday?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:17 am UTC

Wait, I thought I was the only one who was mystified by balthasar_s's recent posts, that they were referencing parts of the OTT I had yet to discover, but ggh's wiki entry, along with recent posts here, seem to imply that they are deliberately cryptic. If this is the case, and others are as confuddled as I, then I should be attempting to decipher them as well.

The dress and hat are indeed elegant.
Wait For It.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:39 am UTC

Ok, I realized I do know what BTSA is:

http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/bsta/

but I do not understand Coincidence. Is it just a chat? Is it like Grapevine Grapevine, or the new Grapevine Grapevine, which by the way I just tried to visit and got a Bad Gateway error message. (I guess that's something like this:
Spoiler:
Image)

Also, what happened to ED's avatar?

Redundant:
Spoiler:
I wasn't kidding.
gate.jpg

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

addams

Postby addams » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:34 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Also, what happened to ED's avatar?
I don't know What happened to ED avatar.
ED's photo is completely Gone. (Poof!)

(Poof) Disappeared; Without a trace.
Maybe, ED is looking for a new face.

Maybe, ED has joined a Game in the Game Forum.
There is a Game that surrenders one's avatar to other players.

A person playing that Game can show a very funny face, at Times.
Or; Apparently, no face at all for up to two days or 48 hours.

Oh! Inspired by the helpful Posters here in Time,
I have learned to Find my BookMarks, consistently.

I'm working on deleting some....but...
I fall into reading or watching the bookmarked item.

Time falls away and I fall asleep.
My learning curve is kind'a flat.
Spoiler:
Wait for It.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:13 am UTC

ggh wrote:We can do this Safari bookmarks thing.
First, give a few thoughts about which bookmarks are important to you most frequently.

There are two main places to have bookmarks:
the bookmark bar in your browser and up in the menu bar.
The bookmark bar is quicker to click, but more limited in space.
The bookmark area up in the menu is slightly less accessible, but more roomy inside.
ggh! Yey!
Happy Dance!
You Did It!
I can do it, EveryTime!

Over and Over and Over.
It is so easy, a child could do it.

(Bah-ha-ha) Evil laugh.
The Bookmarks Bar is Mine!

ggh Wrote:
This is on Chrome, but Safari is mostly the same.
I'm pretty happy with being able to find bookmarks,
even though there's obviously a lot of mess in there too.

What do you think, addams?
I think you are Wonderful.
Do you think your bookmarks could be organized into folders if we show you how?

Yes. Maybe.
Is it as easy as identifying BookMarks?

You gave me confidence to start poking around, clicking on unknown icons and generally being adventuresome.
Thank you, ggh.
You taught me something!
GnomeAnne wrote:Bookmarks can be deleted by selecting them
and pressing the 'delete' key.

I believe selecting the bookmark and pressing 'return'
allows you to rename and edit the bookmarks.
Thank you, too.
So did You, GnomeAnne!
You taught me something.

Jeeze. It is going to be Great!
I have a great deal of deleting to do.

Oh! Oh! No.
To edit the Name,

I must not Select, but hold down the button for longer than Select.
Then, magically the bar with the Title changes color and will be replaced with whatever I type.

Phew...That was fun.
edit: Yappo?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG24SX4HEK8

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:10 am UTC

ggh wrote:This thing that's happening - are we missing it?
I can't afford doing something and allowing it to be missed.

But now I think, am I not overdoing it?
BSTA

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:53 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:So, ggh, not this?
Spoiler:
Ha! That car is awesomeful! Alas, no. I got halfway there once - I'll post a pic if I ever find it.

addams wrote:lmjb1964; Will you send us a clip of your music?
Yappo gave us an 'Ear Worm' and made us laugh.

Most of us know you are a musician.
May we hear you play? Someday?
I too would like to hear some timpgoddessing!
But addams, there is something you can listen to now.
I'm warning you though - you may cry. I'm crying.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ye98q78k3ms8m ... %20own.m4a
I'm having a little trouble downloading it right now... let me know if you can't download it. I have a copy on my sand... I'd just have to figure out where to put it....

GnomeAnne wrote:Wait, I thought I was the only one who was mystified by balthasar_s's recent posts, that they were referencing parts of the OTT I had yet to discover, but ggh's wiki entry, along with recent posts here, seem to imply that they are deliberately cryptic. If this is the case, and others are as confuddled as I, then I should be attempting to decipher them as well.
Yes! Please! Sustainabilizer launched BFTF so gracefully, and I am doing little more than pecking at balthasar/B for clues. Also, HAPPY DANCE! because I made a wiki entry and you read it!

lmjb1964 wrote:Ok, I realized I do know what BTSA is:

http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/bsta/

but I do not understand Coincidence. Is it just a chat?
I think that's just part of it. There has been planning. There has been drawing. And somewhere, there are six buttons to push.
Will there be ONGs? Or something else? The last balthaposttitle was "It's the part where events finally start taking place." I'm excited, but confused, and I have the vague sensation that I'm dropping the ball.

This chat though. It's a chat with legends! FTH and B are there, along with AP, who I'm not sure if we know. And I think KXA is there too. I'm not positive when they are, but it's after 2008. I'm not sure what to say.... More on this later....

addams wrote:Yes. Maybe.
Tell us where you get to, and we can pick up from there if you get stuck. :)

balthasar_s wrote:
ggh wrote:This thing that's happening - are we missing it?
I can't afford doing something and allowing it to be missed.

But now I think, am I not overdoing it?
Good Randall, I hope you're not asking me! :)
I'm about to post the contents of the Before pages I can see. Is that okay?
Agatha the Awesomeful

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:58 am UTC

ggh wrote:I'm about to post the contents of the Before pages I can see. Is that okay?
No problem.
BSTA

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:09 am UTC

Oh no! FTH is asking me where I got a demo interface for Coincidence.
Am I about to get you in trouble on the moon?

Help!

ETA: Okay, for everyone not on the moon, the conversations that I can see currently look like this:
onlineTestTerminal (OTT) joined the public chat on server 80236.
OTT: Interesting - I just had to type in the server id again.
FTH: Did you get disconnected from the internet?
onlineTestTerminal (OTT) left the public chat on server 80236.

OTT: what's happening now?
AP: or some Coincidence hacker has set this up.
bicyclesonthemoon (B) joined the public chat on server 80236.
fredTheHacker (FTH) joined the public chat on server 80236.
fredTheHacker (FTH) left the public chat on server 80236.
FTH: and I thought I was the coincidence hacker ... :)
B: B: You were before changing the username.
B: Oh, wait, you changed it again?
FTH: I had to.
FTH: Also it was your suggestion IIRC.
FTH: also I would still be a better hacker :)
FTH: literally and figuratively
B: and that's why this pun is so funny
FTH: It's not.
FTH: It was funny in 2008 maybe.
FTH: But we're in the future now.
FTH: And things have changed
B: they changed so much
AP: I have no idea what all this is about
B: just some references to untranslatable puns which are apparently not funny anymore
AP: ok
bicyclesonthemoon (B) left the public chat on server 80236.
AP: anyway, I did not.
FTH: so who was the
AP: no idea
AP: oops, too late

OTT: ctif?
FTH: ctif what?
OTT: Hi FTH! TLF said they had selected CTIF as a connection method, and I was curious what CTIF was. Can you tell me?
FTH: It's some kind of communication protocol which is supposed to work with coincidence
FTH: but it doesn't
FTH: at least for me
FTH: it requires some special hardware, I heard
FTH: some radio stuff or something
FTH: I don't need it anyway
FTH: but
FTH: doesn't it appear in your connection settings?
FTH: anyway, ask AP.
FTH: He should know more.
OTT: Is AP here too?
FTH: not now
FTH: he's most the likely most likely one to be found online.
FTH: but not so often on the public chat
OTT: Oh, I see. (Doesn't really see)
OTT: Hey, do you have any buttons there?
FTH: A full keyboard of buttons.
FTH: or do you mean other buttons
FTH: like in a shirt?
OTT: Like a shirt.
OTT: Sorry if I seem distracted, we keep getting calls from the haunted bakery here.
FTH: What times have you reached!
FTH: Where the bakery has to call you and not you the bakery.
OTT: I'm not sure my time is out of the ordinary,
OTT: but when the bakery is, is anyone's guess.

And this last one is current, and therefore reads bottom to top:
FTH: I don't think in even can be contraband. where does that idea come from?
FTH: I got mine on a CD which was included to a newspaper which balthasar got from some uncle
OTT: my e-key doesn't work very well.
OTT: client, not clint
OTT: Is there a place I can find the actual Coincidence clint with full functionality?
OTT: Suddenly I'm worried that it might be contraband....
FTH: Where did you get it from.
FTH: I never heard about a demo interface?
OTT: It may not be the real thing though - it says it's a demo interface.
OTT: I'm very new. There's a gui.
FTH: The one with GUI or the one with the commandline?
FTH: Which version of Coincidence do you have?
FTH: You must be new to coincidence.
OTT: I'm not sure how to send him a private message. Can you tell me?
FTH: Not on the public chat but you can always send a private message
FTH: He just appeared online.
FTH: anyway, if you want to ask AP about it you can do it now
FTH: because for me, it makes no sense
FTH: and ctif? maybe it will be more useful for breaking ice than for its original purpose
FTH: I wouldn't say coincidence is a good place to look for buttons.
OTT: Seemed like as good an icebreaker as anything else.
OTT: Ctif was just small talk. I don't understand what it is, but I heard you have it.
OTT: So that's worth a few buttons.
OTT: On the other hand, two Poo-chis mysteriously appeared.
OTT: I keep losing buttons. They just vanish. I don't understand it.
FTH: or buttons?
FTH: Why would you be interested in the ctif?

Do you see why I'm scared? Are there consequences to my actions?
Last edited by ggh on Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Agatha the Awesomeful

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:27 am UTC

don't worry everything is under control
BSTA

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:35 am UTC

Even if I give them your web page?
Agatha the Awesomeful

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:38 am UTC

yes
BSTA

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:52 am UTC

FTH is in 2010?
I want to send him stock prices in the worst way.
You'd damned well be able to afford a new digital camera then.

It doesn't work that way, does it? :( That's what you were trying to tell me.

ETA2 renders ETA pointless. Skip past spoiler.
Spoiler:
ETA:
Again, read bottom to top:
BFTF: Sorry for the confusion
BFTF: I set up a simple web interface for coincidence.
OTT: It's going to be okay
B: ???
bicyclesonthemoonFromTwothousandFifteen (BFTF) joined the public chat on server 80236.
B: oops, sorry
B: I am.
B: I? not that I know
FTH: LEML? no idea
FTH: bicyclesonthemoon.info? balthasar are you behind this?
OTT: can you tell me what you know about LEML
OTT: Hey FTH, forgetting the website for a moment...
OTT: so, no luck there.
OTT: looking for the .config file, I just found a log of an earlier session
OTT: oh
FTH: yes
FTH: but on a website - no idea
FTH: normally coincidence automatically stores files in a directory
OTT: Did you just take a screen shot?
OTT: I'm not sure how to receive that image
OTT: Huh - that's strange
fredTheHacker (FTH) sent the file 2010-12-13-094234_1024x768_scrot.png.
FTH: says there is no such website
FTH: I can't aaccess it
FTH: oh, wait a website?
FTH: is there maybe a configuration file in the directory in which it's installed?
OTT: I'm using it at http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/bsta/coin
FTH: interesting.
OTT: (This interface is only a demo, a proof of concept. It is very limited. No autorefresh, no private chat, etc. For full functionality use the actual Coincidence client.)
OTT: and at the bottom it specifically says:
OTT: It's a box to type in, with buttons to Send, Refresh, and Disconnect
FTH: through the internet? most of us are. Communication software usually requires some kind of internet.
FTH: ?. Anyway, what does your interface look like. Maybe we could figure something out.
OTT: And if I say that I'm here through the internet, is that naughty?
OTT: I guess I'm just worried that I'm somewhere that I ought not be.
FTH: I'm interested. because I never heard of a demo. And because coincidence is not findable on the internet these days
FTH: I got mine on a CD which was included to a newspaper which balthasar got from some uncle

ETA2 cont'd: The next section is available to read top to bottom now. :)
FTH: Why would you be interested in the ctif?
FTH: or buttons?
OTT: I keep losing buttons. They just vanish. I don't understand it.
OTT: On the other hand, two Poo-chis mysteriously appeared.
OTT: So that's worth a few buttons.
OTT: Ctif was just small talk. I don't understand what it is, but I heard you have it.
OTT: Seemed like as good an icebreaker as anything else.
FTH: I wouldn't say coincidence is a good place to look for buttons.
FTH: and ctif? maybe it will be more useful for breaking ice than for its original purpose
FTH: because for me, it makes no sense
FTH: anyway, if you want to ask AP about it you can do it now
FTH: He just appeared online.
FTH: Not on the public chat but you can always send a private message
OTT: I'm not sure how to send him a private message. Can you tell me?
FTH: You must be new to coincidence.
FTH: Which version of Coincidence do you have?
FTH: The one with GUI or the one with the commandline?
OTT: I'm very new. There's a gui.
OTT: It may not be the real thing though - it says it's a demo interface.
FTH: I never heard about a demo interface?
FTH: Where did you get it from.
OTT: Suddenly I'm worried that it might be contraband....
OTT: Is there a place I can find the actual Coincidence clint with full functionality?
OTT: client, not clint
OTT: my e-key doesn't work very well.
FTH: I'm interested. because I never heard of a demo. And because coincidence is not findable on the internet these days
OTT: I guess I'm just worried that I'm somewhere that I ought not be.
OTT: And if I say that I'm here through the internet, is that naughty?
FTH: ?. Anyway, what does your interface look like. Maybe we could figure something out.
FTH: through the internet? most of us are. Communication software usually requires some kind of internet.
OTT: It's a box to type in, with buttons to Send, Refresh, and Disconnect
OTT: and at the bottom it specifically says:
OTT: (This interface is only a demo, a proof of concept. It is very limited. No autorefresh, no private chat, etc. For full functionality use the actual Coincidence client.)
FTH: interesting.
OTT: I'm using it at http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/bsta/coin
FTH: is there maybe a configuration file in the directory in which it's installed?
FTH: oh, wait a website?
FTH: I can't aaccess it
FTH: says there is no such website
fredTheHacker (FTH) sent the file 2010-12-13-094234_1024x768_scrot.png.
OTT: Huh - that's strange
OTT: I'm not sure how to receive that image
OTT: Did you just take a screen shot?
FTH: normally coincidence automatically stores files in a directory
FTH: but on a website - no idea
FTH: yes
OTT: oh
OTT: looking for the .config file, I just found a log of an earlier session
OTT: so, no luck there.
OTT: Hey FTH, forgetting the website for a moment...
OTT: can you tell me what you know about LEML
FTH: bicyclesonthemoon.info? balthasar are you behind this?
FTH: LEML? no idea
B: I? not that I know
B: I am.
B: oops, sorry
bicyclesonthemoonFromTwothousandFifteen (BFTF) joined the public chat on server 80236.
OTT: It's going to be okay
BFTF: I set up a simple web interface for coincidence.
BFTF: Sorry for the confusion
OTT: Y'all are taking this pretty well.
OTT: Or maybe you're not.
OTT: Are you okay?
FTH: you mean, there is a web site, you enter it and start using coincidence?
BFTF: yes
FTH: Have you thought what happens when it's discovered by trolls?
FTH: or neokids?
BFTF: not really
BFTF: I think I'll temporarily change the time offset, and then I'll figure something out
FTH: You really from 2015?
BFTF: no, just pretending.
BFTF: I'm from 2016, actually
BFTF: :)
BFTF: wait, for it, I'm changing the settings

ETA3: Hey, happy RNP, addams!

ETA4: there's a stunning moon tonight. :)
I can't make out any bicycles on it, but then, I'm a bit nearsighted.

Molpy down!
Spoiler:
Agatha the Awesomeful

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:30 pm UTC

Happy 9000 posts, addams!

RSIR:
Spoiler:
9k.jpg
9k.jpg (84.59 KiB) Viewed 11533 times
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:29 pm UTC

I've got to be a little careful budgeting my Time today, so I'll be back in a bit with updates, but could someone type "hidden interface" into http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/bsta/2words just to make sure that finding the hidden interface isn't just that simple?
Agatha the Awesomeful

svenman

Postby svenman » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:42 pm UTC

On a riverish break from the shed...

Happy 9000, addams! :D

ggh wrote:And this is kinda embarrassing, but is there a special way to get a newline on the wiki? Seems like if I hit enter once, it just ignores me and carries on on the same line. Also, after adding an image, I wasn't sure how to make the next line of text appear under the image.

Sounds like you are using the visual editor. I prefer the source editor (and have modified my Wikia useraccount preferences accordingly), mainly because I already got a lot of wiki-editing experience when visual editors for MediaWiki weren't a thing yet (Wikipedia, for example, uses the same wiki syntax). In source mode you can add

Code: Select all

<br/>
to enforce a line break. Works after an image too.

ggh wrote:I am pretty stink at time-wikia formatting. I just added a bunch of stuff about balthasar's post subjects to the wiki (here), but I'm finding even indenting correctly to be hard. Can anyone help make this more readable, or even give me some pointers?

ETA: I've got the indentation a bit better, but there's still plenty of room for improvement.

Looks like the visual editor is doing its own thing there. In source mode indentation can be achieved by putting or (removing) appropriate numbers of colons at the start of lines of source text.

ggh wrote:And now I've got this awful, bloated Table of Contents I don't want....

Source mode again... Add

__TOC__
to enforce a table of contents at a particular place in the text (MediaWiki's default behaviour is to place one right before the first subheading if the page has four or more subheadings, but not add one for up to three subheadings on the page).

If you want a right-aligned table of contents, add:

{| align="right"
|-
| __TOC__
|}

And it looks like you already figured out that

__NOTOC__
suppresses the table of contents regardless of the number of existing subheadings.

Further ketchup, hopefully, when I am out of the shed for good.

ETA:
ggh wrote:I've got to be a little careful budgeting my Time today, so I'll be back in a bit with updates, but could someone type "hidden interface" into http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/bsta/2words just to make sure that finding the hidden interface isn't just that simple?

It isn't, apparently. As input it was rejected for not beginning with an "i".
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:48 pm UTC

ggh wrote:I've got to be a little careful budgeting my Time today, so I'll be back in a bit with updates, but could someone type "hidden interface" into http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/bsta/2words just to make sure that finding the hidden interface isn't just that simple?

I think it might be:

hidden_interface.jpg
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:58 pm UTC

Awesomeful!!!

Where did you find that?
Agatha the Awesomeful

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:27 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Awesomeful!!!

Where did you find that?

I just did what you asked, and it appeared.

But then I clicked rewind and it went away.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:41 pm UTC

Treeish!
Some sweetheart set me up for a retry, but I got this:
Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 12.37.21 PM.png

Maybe we should finish this story (responsibly, of course) and try it again in the next story. Play next?

Well that sure is six buttons all in a nice row. :)
Agatha the Awesomeful

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Randomly Revisited - np537

Postby mscha » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:00 am UTC

TAPERONGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:INSTANT BRAINSLUGS, JUST ADD BRAINSLUGS

-- posted by randompixbot

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”