Trump presidency

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Re: Trump presidency

Postby Dauric » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:41 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
cphite wrote:But the key is that it has to be initiated by the Executive branch, specifically the Vice President.
The Pence Masterplan For The Advancement Of True Republican Leadership...

If that were the case Pence is better off pulling a Dick Cheney and being manipulative from behind the scenes. Let Trump catch all the heat and the press attention, it's something he's really good at whether he wants to or not, and do the real policy work with the career politicians behind the scenes. Better still (at least from a certain perspective) that's pretty much exactly what Trump said he'd do by picking a career politician as his running mate so he'd have someone with experience to confer with.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

elasto

Postby elasto » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:06 am UTC

It begins.

Trump signs 'extreme vetting' executive order for people entering the US

Basically, citizens of some countries like Syria and Iraq cannot enter the US at all, and from other countries, only members of 'minority religions' (ie. Christians) can come in. Or, as Betsy Fisher, the director of policy at the International Refugee Assistance Project, puts it: “The executive order doesn’t say ‘we’re banning Muslims’. It says, ‘we’re banning people from Muslim countries except for the non-Muslims’".

Republicans were quick to embrace Trump’s actions as a matter of national security. “Our number one responsibility is to protect the homeland,” House speaker Paul Ryan said in a statement.

Democrats called the executive order 'backward and nasty'.

Pelosi, the House minority leader, condemned “how low this administration has stooped in its callousness toward mothers and children escaping war-torn Syria”. “This administration has mistaken cruelty for strength and prejudice for strategy,” she said.

Nihad Awad, Cair’s national executive director said: “One of our nation’s darkest moments was during World War II, when we turned away Jewish refugees seeking our protection. We cannot allow religious bigotry to affect our willingness and ability to welcome those fleeing violence and persecution.”

The president announced the restrictive measures on Holocaust Memorial Day.

Plasma_Wolf

Postby Plasma_Wolf » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:16 pm UTC

The first few have been detained at JFK airport. Rights groups have filed a lawsuit so we'll soon see how much of this executive order will be upheld. I think large parts can be kept but it can't be a "in any case, Muslims from thsee countries can never go back in".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38783512

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:17 pm UTC

My Iranian friend abandoned her business trip in Spain and rushed back to the US for fear of being denied entry (she's a green card holder).
There's a certain amount of freedom involved in cycling: you're self-propelled and decide exactly where to go. If you see something that catches your eye to the left, you can veer off there, which isn't so easy in a car, and you can't cover as much ground walking.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:19 pm UTC

Yeah, it sounds like people from those countries are now pretty much trapped in the US. It is awful in so many ways.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Liri

Postby Liri » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:27 pm UTC

It looks like we will indeed get the worst of both standard GOP orthodoxy and Trump himself. One week in, peeps.

I wonder how he'll handle acute crises like a bad hurricane on the east coast or The Big One on the west.

I lied I don't really "wonder".
There's a certain amount of freedom involved in cycling: you're self-propelled and decide exactly where to go. If you see something that catches your eye to the left, you can veer off there, which isn't so easy in a car, and you can't cover as much ground walking.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:58 pm UTC

Saudi Arabia isn't on the list. Can't possibly think why!
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:25 pm UTC

charliepanayi wrote:Saudi Arabia isn't on the list. Can't possibly think why!

Not a single country in which any of the 9/11 hijackers were from are on the list. To be fair, though, we don't accept a lot of refugees from those countries. So Trump has business interests, but those are in traditional "look the other way" countries anyway.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:24 pm UTC

Gut check, what percent of Republicans will change their mind based on Trump's actions so far?
What percent of white voters will change their vote come 2018 based on their actions so far? I'm not seeing much yet. So far everything is either far away, or just words. We need to see goods increasing in price, or supply disruptions from the coming trade wars. Berlusconi was undone because he couldn't keep the trains running on time or the power on etc etc, the basic stuff. All the scandalous stuff didn't touch him because he controlled the media. Trump has the alternate media outlets and he can manipulate the cable channels pretty well. We need to see more bad things coming out of Trump and translating into bad stuff for white people, not minorities.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:44 pm UTC

Fan-fucking-tastic.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:10 pm UTC

One would think ex post facto would preclude people who already had paperwork done, or maybe even in progress, from that.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:13 pm UTC

cphite wrote:Impeachment for what? Like it or not, impeachment is only an option for treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors; you can't just impeach a president because you don't like him, or because you think his policies are really stupid, or even because he does a terrible job. It doesn't work that way.

Nothing you're saying about Trump is false, and it's probably understated. The man is a fucking train wreck. But until he actually breaks a law, impeachment is off the table.
Violating the Article II, Section 1, clause 7 of the US Constitution isn't just "because you don't like him" or "because you think his policies are really stupid". It may not be a successful push, but it's not based on nothing.

elasto wrote:I'm sure the US will survive this narcissist
I'm sure all the people who die along the way will take great solace in that.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Quantized

Postby Quantized » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:24 pm UTC

The level to which Drumpf and his presidency are taking being a fascist asshat is actually incredible, and it's just week one. Get excited everyone, it's gonna be a bumpy ride. But I plead with all of you that you do not sit on the sidelines for this. Rise up, march, speak out, rally, run for office, do something to resist the extremely dangerous president and government that is now in power. We can't just watch.

elasto

Postby elasto » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:33 pm UTC

I wonder what will happen if this ban has swept up employees of a big company like Apple or Google.

Will they be able to rouse enough negative press to force a reversal or, more likely in my opinion, will the Trump administration just throw a sop by making exceptions for anyone high profile?

Honestly, I'm kinda surprised this sort of thing can be achieved by executive order. The president obviously has more direct power than I thought.

Sad! (as the man himself would say...)

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:29 pm UTC

elasto wrote:I wonder what will happen if this ban has swept up employees of a big company like Apple or Google.

Will they be able to rouse enough negative press to force a reversal or, more likely in my opinion, will the Trump administration just throw a sop by making exceptions for anyone high profile?

Honestly, I'm kinda surprised this sort of thing can be achieved by executive order. The president obviously has more direct power than I thought.

Not to worry, Google has already recalled all their employees to the home office, so they should be fine. In addition, if you're rich you don't even have to pass through customs. That's what private jets affords you.

Hit up your local government official. Chances are the ones in the suburbs are probably Republican. Write them a letter, with Pen and Paper ! That should turn up the heat on the Republicans who sold their soul for a tax break.

Liri

Postby Liri » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:23 am UTC

elasto wrote:I wonder what will happen if this ban has swept up employees of a big company like Apple or Google.

Will they be able to rouse enough negative press to force a reversal or, more likely in my opinion, will the Drumpf administration just throw a sop by making exceptions for anyone high profile?

Apparently an Iranian Oscar nominee for best foreign film is being denied entry. We'll see if that goes anywhere.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:32 am UTC

He likes people in Scotland (so long as they don't spoil his rounds of golf), and vets, and charities, so maybe he'll take pity on a Scottish vet, and be charitable..?

Or not.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:08 am UTC

£2,600 out of pocket to buy completely new tickets via Spain.
GNU Terry Pratchett

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:46 pm UTC

Angua wrote:£2,600 out of pocket to buy completely new tickets via Spain.
The internet has taken care of the bill. I had no doubt that would happen as soon as the money was mentioned in the news, such is the nature of crowd funding these days.

A British MP is banned from the US because he was born in Iraq. Tit for tat, can we ban a certain American politician?
He/Him/His Image

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:55 pm UTC

Trump reorganizes the National Security Council:

The measure adds White House chief strategist Steve Bannon to the NSC, while removing the Director of National Intelligence and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, stating that they "shall attend where issues pertaining to their responsibilities and expertise are to be discussed."

This is pretty insane.
Exit the vampires' castle.

elasto

Postby elasto » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:48 pm UTC

Britain's four-time Olympic gold medallist Sir Mo Farah has criticised US President Donald Trump for imposing an order that leaves him unsure whether he can return to the United States. The athlete is at a training camp in Ethiopia as part of his preparations for August's World Championships in London.

Farah, 33, was born in Somalia but has lived in Oregon for the past six years. Somali nationals are among those banned from travelling to the US under the executive order issued on Friday.

"It's deeply troubling that I will have to tell my children daddy might not be able to come home," said Farah.

Writing on his Facebook page, he added: "On 1 January this year, Her Majesty The Queen made me a Knight of the Realm. On 27 January, President Donald Trump seems to have made me an alien."

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:20 pm UTC

Also, about that stay of execution:

In its response, the Department of Homeland Security said it would continue to enforce the measures that on Saturday had affected "less than 1% of the more than 325,000 international air travellers who arrive every day".

It added that the US government "retains its right to revoke visas at any time if required for national security or public safety".

Though I did hear on the radio that Steve Whatshisface just declared green card holders exempt.

In other news, the petition to stop Trump having a 'State' visit to the UK is at 300 000 and counting. It probably helps that Corbyn is backing it.
GNU Terry Pratchett

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:07 pm UTC

HES wrote:The internet has taken care of the bill. I had no doubt that would happen as soon as the money was mentioned in the news, such is the nature of crowd funding these days.
The internet is a lot like Donald Trump in some ways. While I'm happy someone had to suffer a little less because of Trump's jackassery, it isn't meaningful. The battle will be won in court. It's a lot like Trump chastising Ford. It looks good but it doesn't really mean a lot. The whole business is very much like no fly lists, which we have been using for some time.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:02 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Yeah, it sounds like people from those countries are now pretty much trapped in the US. It is awful in so many ways.

It's terrible -- two of my good friends (one of whom is my roommate!) are effected by this ban. They're both here on student visas, and I'm worried about how this will effect them.
I can't believe that even green card holders are effected by this.

EDIT: I guess I'll write to my representatives -- both my one here at school and the one at home. Plus the state ones too.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:10 pm UTC

elasto wrote:Will they be able to rouse enough negative press to force a reversal or, more likely in my opinion, will the Trump administration just throw a sop by making exceptions for anyone high profile?
Well, Canadian dual citizens seem to have now been exempted, which might have something to do with our Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship being a Somali-Canadian and otherwise unable to enter the USA.

Anyone getting the impression a lot of this is a shoot first, ask questions later sort of approach?

Also, either I have the wrong idea about the NSC, or I'd think that the Director of National Intelligence and the chairperson of the Joint Chiefs would pretty much always have responsibilities and expertise pertaining to what they're discussing? I mean, maybe not alternative-facts expertise related to the subjects at hand, but at least real facts?
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:27 pm UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:Anyone getting the impression a lot of this is a shoot first, ask questions later sort of approach?

It seems like they decided to cast the widest net they could get away with, just for the sake of them being Muslim immigrants.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Liri

Postby Liri » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:38 pm UTC

Where's Tyndmyr with that "Trump's all talk, and he lies, so he'll probably be okay."

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:40 pm UTC

This article sheds light on the chaos surrounding the immigration order. Apparently Trump's team drafted it without consulting the White House Counsel or the DHS(!), and the latter was forced to attempt its own interpretation – that green card holders were exempted – before being overruled by Miller and Bannon. It seems like Trump's people don't know or care much how the federal government works.
Exit the vampires' castle.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:04 pm UTC

Lazar wrote: It seems like Trump's people don't know or care much how the federal government works.

This isn't particularly surprising really. Trump's campaign was in opposition to "Establishment", a part of which is the perception that politicians lie on the campaign trail, and do things completely different once they're in office. Trump is nothing if not concerned for how he is perceived, so he's plowing ahead with promises made on the campaign trail, promises made in significant ignorance and apathy of the impacts made by such policies.

Unfortunately to his supporters this is all fine and dandy, They've been asking for this since 2002 and they're not (directly) impacted by this crap.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:11 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Anyone getting the impression a lot of this is a shoot first, ask questions later sort of approach?

It seems like they decided to cast the widest net they could get away with, just for the sake of them being Muslim immigrants.

What about all of the Gulf States? Those are primarily Muslim as well... I think he didn't want to offend them too.

Lazar wrote:This article sheds light on the chaos surrounding the immigration order. Apparently Trump's team drafted it without consulting the White House Counsel or the DHS(!), and the latter was forced to attempt its own interpretation – that green card holders were exempted – before being overruled by Miller and Bannon. It seems like Trump's people don't know or care much how the federal government works.

I'm not suprised, but it still seems crazy that they didn't consult DHS on it. It does seem like the voters liked this stuff because it doesn't directly effect them...

What I'm worried about is that if this isn't opposed loud enough, these kinds of orders will continue to occur. I've already got friends effected by this order, and I'm worried that some of my other friends may be effected by future ones.

I had been trying to keep my hopes up after the election, deluding myself into thinking that he couldn't do what he is doing. I wanted to believe that although we elected someone who wasn't great, he wasn't going to be horrible.

I guess I was wrong.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:20 pm UTC

Liri wrote:Where's Tyndmyr with that "Trump's all talk, and he lies, so he'll probably be okay."

He's referring to the super serious stuff that has no equivocation. Like Trump jails his political opponents before the primary or something. You can do a lot of damage before it's unconstitutional. Trump just needs to stick with his promise of tax cuts, Scotus Judges, and abortion. Everything else is whatever to Republicans. For the people who voted Trump, this stuff is like popcorn to them, it may or may not feel good, but it's not really substantive. How many people did this really affect, 200? 1000? 10,000? Now if you talk the ACA? Now he's playing with fire.

We just need to keep the pressure on Republicans. At some point, a trillion dollar giveaway just isn't worth selling your soul for. That tricky part is to get to that point. The conservative media is doing their best to keep any of the bad stuff away from Trump's voters. It'll be a tug of war until reality creeps in, maybe in a year.

PS I decided to join a few Democratic meetups and see what they're planning in my area. You guys should do the same. At the very least, you'll know how competent the local opposition party is. If you're lucky, you'll unseat a Republican stooge at the county office.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:26 pm UTC

Or there's always the old: "We will do 50% foo, against your wishes!" / "hey, that's punitive, how about 20% foo, or we cause the bother we've been promising in the event of excessive foo?" / "40% foo is doable..." / "30?" / "25%!" / "Done!" / *thinks: Yes, you have been. That was what we would have accepted all along... * negotiating technique. Looks pro-active and willing to compromise, really just getting what they want and getting good PR to everyone. (Not those dead set on 50+%, but blame can still be aimed at 'blues' .)

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:59 pm UTC

sardia wrote:] Not to worry, Google has already recalled all their employees to the home office, so they should be fine. In addition, if you're rich you don't even have to pass through customs. That's what private jets affords you.
Errr. No. Private jets definitely still have to go through customs.

PS I decided to join a few Democratic meetups and see what they're planning in my area. You guys should do the same. At the very least, you'll know how competent the local opposition party is. If you're lucky, you'll unseat a Republican stooge at the county office.
I did. It was not particularly competent and instead focused on a bunch of navel gazers and self-interested factions.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:02 pm UTC

Today I learned that 45 is afraid of stairs.
that explains the escalator.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

sardia

Postby sardia » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:06 pm UTC

Fantastic Idea wrote:Today I learned that 45 is afraid of stairs.
that explains the escalator.

Look, Trump has a lot of bad things, and weird things (who the hell only eats steaks well done?) but a fear of stairs? Do you have a good source?
Dark567 wrote:
sardia wrote:] Not to worry, Google has already recalled all their employees to the home office, so they should be fine. In addition, if you're rich you don't even have to pass through customs. That's what private jets affords you.
Errr. No. Private jets definitely still have to go through customs.

I did. It was not particularly competent and instead focused on a bunch of navel gazers and self-interested factions.

Hmmm, well that self interested factions thing won't last long. Opposition parties tend to unite together when they are kicked out of power. If they don't, they don't last very long as opposition party members.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:08 pm UTC

A *good* source? Debatable.

Times of London: “Downing Street officials claimed the president's phobia of stairs and slopes led him to grab the prime minister's hand as they walked down a ramp at the White House.

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:21 pm UTC

That sounds somewhat like downing street trying to downplay the whole hand-holding thing.

He did grab her hand - I'm not convinced that was the reason though.
He/Him/His Image

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:28 pm UTC

He has been a little obsessive about stairs.
He doesn't go to his restaurant on the second floor of Trump Tower because of the stairs. He criticized Obama for using sub-par stairs to disembark Air Force One and has said more than once that Obama took the stairs too quickly and was going to have a fall one of these days. He told Billy Bush he was afraid of falling down the bus' stairs, referring to when it happened to Gerald Ford.
I will have to start tweeting pictures of stairs at him.
But that's all nonsense anyway.

Steve Bannon just replaced the fucking Chairman of the Joint Chiefs on the NSC principals committee.

That is the true madness.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:48 pm UTC

HES wrote:That sounds somewhat like downing street trying to downplay the whole hand-holding thing.

He did grab her hand - I'm not convinced that was the reason though.

Was probably aiming for her pussy.

Return to “News & Articles”