1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

svenman

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby svenman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:51 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Hi, friends. You might want to send some molpish thoughts, and even prayers if you wish, to our Addams. She had complications from her treatment and is apparently quite sick. She has to stay in the hospital for a few more days. I don't know exactly what's wrong, though.

The molpishest of thoughts from here, too.

Molpying down now. Starting new FFS tomorrip. Relocation to the basement may potentially result. I'll do my best to make it temporary, if at all.

Edit: Poped again? Okay then, decree to all basementees: Say hi to let the rest of us know that you're still with us. Alternative Decree to all: What lmjb1964 wrote.
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:45 am UTC

Molpish thoughts sent. Hope she pulls out quickly - she's had so much ch*rpin' mustard!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

balthasar_s

bOTTeriada goes ONG

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:11 am UTC

the mr*bdex story cONGtinues.

Code: Select all

apprehensive and more concerned with each other than the bOTTifactors who had triangulated them.
  "This looks familiar," whispered Timrlorme to the others. "I've seen this sort of standoff whilst playing *Pokémolp``RUN!*"
  Mrorl rolled his eyes. Timrlorme's hotdogging was a point of contention between the two, as Mrorl often wished they could focus on navigating the &TARDIS& or whatever other tasks were at hand, rather than constantly setting out on "molpy-hunting" expeditions that existed only in an imaginary world.
  Timrlorme, slightly irritated, continued. "They're each poised to defend against one of the others, but they're caught in a deadlock."
  "How so?" asked Balthacarius, willing to engage in any discussion that might bring them closer to Tornater.

-- posted by mrImagebdexbot

Gingercat

Re: bOTTeriada goes ONG

Postby Gingercat » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:12 am UTC

balthasar_s wrote:the mr*bdex story cONGtinues.

Code: Select all

apprehensive and more concerned with each other than the bOTTifactors who had triangulated them.
  "This looks familiar," whispered Timrlorme to the others. "I've seen this sort of standoff whilst playing *Pokémolp``RUN!*"
  Mrorl rolled his eyes. Timrlorme's hotdogging was a point of contention between the two, as Mrorl often wished they could focus on navigating the &TARDIS& or whatever other tasks were at hand, rather than constantly setting out on "molpy-hunting" expeditions that existed only in an imaginary world.
  Timrlorme, slightly irritated, continued. "They're each poised to defend against one of the others, but they're caught in a deadlock."
  "How so?" asked Balthacarius, willing to engage in any discussion that might bring them closer to Tornater.

-- posted by mrImagebdexbot

I've caught right up, and am interested in seeing what happens next.
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

Eternal Density

Avalon Flux: Singularity Phantasm

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:23 am UTC

mikrit wrote:
ucim wrote:
AP on coincidence wrote:My computer is in a network which is not connected to the thing called Internet.
No problem, there's a red switch on the balthabike. It uses the whirly things to connect to a secret organ on the moon so we can communicate.
Jose

That's a coincidence. I, too, have a secret organ
Spoiler:
in my pants.
You should have saved that until your 400th post.
But there are many ways to OTT.

Spoiler:

Molpy on, addams!!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

karhell

Postby karhell » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:58 am UTC

svenman wrote:Okay then, decree to all basementees: Say hi to let the rest of us know that you're still with us. Alternative Decree to all: What lmjb1964 wrote.

Says hi. Still reads along. Simply doesn't feel very talkative at the moment. Also felt like imitating Deva, for some reason >.<

And Addams, get well soon, will ya ?
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:20 am UTC

New What-If.

Molpish thoughts to Addams!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:06 pm UTC

New OtherComic.
Molpish thoughts and prayers are with Addams.

What's a TIOC???

B: TIOC ??
AP: TCP/IP over Coincidence.
AP: Yes, someone actually did such a thing.
B: I'm impressed. Where do I find this?
AP: No idea. Internet? Mine was together with the CT card drivers.
AP: I could send you it and if we're lucky, there will be some hope for our gaming plans.
AP: We can make a LAN of two computers.
AP: What OS do you have?
B: On the computer I want to use the game: win98, Linux.
AP: By Linux you mean Gnu/Linux?
AP: Or LEML Linux?
B: Would be the first one.
B: I didn't hear of leml before today.

TCP/IP over coincidence. wow.

So they will make a private network by using internet communications protocol over a chat client through a Chronotransponder interface chip. Will the ping time be short enough to pay the game? And who maintains the ctif network?

Spoiler contains retro added images to be used later.
Spoiler:
PART951490031772687.jpg
PART951490031391156.jpg
PART951490031108103.jpg
Last edited by GnomeAnne on Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait For It.

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:55 pm UTC

The ping time just has to be shorter than 36 hours, eh?

mikrit wrote:
ucim wrote:No problem, there's a red switch on the balthabike. It uses the whirly things to connect to a secret organ on the moon so we can communicate.

That's a coincidence. I, too, have a secret organ
Spoiler:
in my pants.
Chapter 57?

svenman wrote:Facebug video link: Otters have many talents, but I hadn't been aware of that one. (A friend who is aware of the OTT and my participation in it sent me the link.)
"No one knows for sure why otters do this" but this OTTer is going to toss a few stones around today in a display I hope will resonate with cosmic connectedness to Addams.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:34 pm UTC

Molpish thoughts have been effective. Addams will still be in the hospital for a couple more days, but is doing better and says she's getting her sense of humor back. :) Whew!

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:48 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Molpish thoughts have been effective. Addams will still be in the hospital for a couple more days, but is doing better and says she's getting her sense of humor back. :) Whew!

Getting it back?

Oh, somehow I doubt she'd ever lose that. Not entirely, ever. :)

It was just... buried. Under a couple of keyboards. But they seem to be getting sufficiently thwapped now, so it's being revealed and vacuumed.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:05 pm UTC

I've been consulting with our seer on some very CPU-bound matters, a situation compounded by the restart of learning activities last week.
TIOC was my first thought after next-to-latest frame. But LEML Linux? Now that's something I want to hear about.
Glad to know addams decided to just pay a visit to the hospital.

Words are getting strange. Many thoughts, though.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

addams

Postby addams » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:35 am UTC

ucim wrote:Molpish thoughts sent. Hope she pulls out quickly - she's had so much ch*rpin' mustard!

Jose
Thank You, Jose.
And; Thanks to the entire OTT...

You have given me a reason to live.
Mustard had given me a challenge.

I'll think twice next Time.
.Bless you all , anyway.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Gingercat

The Chronicles of Torgos, Vol. 12

Postby Gingercat » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:59 am UTC

Welcome to The Chronicles of Torgos, Vol. 12! The theme of today's update is "Yo Ho Ho And A Bottle Of Shark", where Torgos takes a pirate attack VERY personally on the high seas!

<- Volume 11

The journal pages here feel damp, scaly, more like fish skin than paper. Combined with the ongoing electrical effect, they give you the impression of what it's like to handle a somewhat annoyed electric eel.

Important Note:
Spoiler:
Keep in mind that his Wisdom score is 8; self-preservation comes a very distant second to the execution of Great Ideas that pop up as a result of his high Intelligence. You'll see this factor in A LOT in upcoming instalments, and to be honest I think it makes him a more interesting character, at least for now.

The journal continues:

Spoiler:
My dearest journal, I fear that my mental state has become invariably worse. The visions are becoming stronger, more potent, more accurate, which is useful in a sense, but some of the things I see now are disturbing beyond measure. "With great power comes great insanity" is the saying, and I can see that there is most certainly an element of truth in it.

As expected, we began our journey on the high seas to investigate the pirate problem that the local lord had requested our assistance with. When we first started, I couldn't really say I was a fan of sea travel; all the pitching and yawing due to the rough conditions and occasional tropical storm started to really make me feel sick. I knew that in that condition, I wouldn't be much good in a fight; we could run into the pirates at any moment, and they'd already have the dual advantages of surprise and oceanic experience on their side. To͠ ҉c̛omb͏a͞t ͢th̨e҉ ̨s͏i͝ck̸n͞e̴s̨s,̡ I ͏beg͞an̸ ͠c̢onc͘ent̢r̨at͏in̷g ̶o͘n ͡t͜h̢e͢ ͡m̢or͜e̷ ̀pl̨ea̢sa̶nt͝ a҉nd̸ u̵s̢e҉ful ͝a̡spec͘t͜s ͠of bei̡n̵g ab̀l̛e to̷ ͡see ҉th̷e͢ We̢àv͟e ín͞ m͞y v̸i͟sion̨s̵,͡ ̴ańd ̢f̨ou͢n̴d҉ ͝t̛h̕a̸t͞, s̀uŗpris͡inģly͝,̕ I͞ can do̵ ͘mor͝e͠ ̧t͝han jus͢t̶ ҉"v͏i̡ew̶"͟ ͘i͜t̡!̛ Į ̀w̕as a͡blę to͡ i͜d̕e҉nti̴fy t̛h̵e ̸subtle ch͞a͏nge͟s ҉t̀h̕at̀ ̨h̸e͢r̷al͢ded̶ m̛y͢ ̴o͘wń p̧e͞r҉sona͟l̸ ̧f̢ee͞liņgs ́of s̡icḱn͡eşs,̡ ͏an͢d twe̢aḱed͢ ̛t̡he̢m̷ ̀t͞o ̧un͜ŗąv̧el͝ h͢a҉rm͞l͞ès͞sly͠; t̛h̶e i̕mme̴dia͟te̴ re͢s͝u͏l̀t, ̛o̢f ̛c̡our͘sȩ, ẃa͢s ͢a s͜ub͜stantia͘l̴ ҉laćk͡ o҉f ̵t̶he͜ i̷l̕l ҉f͜e̛ęl̀ings I̵'d͝ ҉been͠ ͢s͝uf́fer͟in̡g͘ ͘fr̷om͞ ͞seasick͜n̷ess.͜ This͞ fasc̨in̸a͜t͟ing ̸revela͠ti͡on m̶ay ͏ha̵vé ͢i͟ntere̕s̷ti̡ng future͟ a̵p̶pli͡cat̀ions͜ f̧or͞ ͝the͡ heal̕th ͟an͡d̴ wellb̷e̶in͜g o͏f͏ my̶self an̸d̢ ḿy ͜ćo̷mrad͘e͏s; h̢ow̴evér̶ I àm͠ ̶al̡l ̢t͟oo͏ ͠awar͠e th͡a̴t ͠t̡he̶ ͡w͟r̸o̴ńg ̧twe͢ak oŕ ̡excess͘ive ͘m̛edd̵li͏n͟g͟ ͘c͡o͏u͘l̨d dó ͞far m̴o̧r͝ę ̨harm̧ ̛th̛a͞n ͞g͟ood.

Thankfully, the pirates felt so bold in their activities by this point that one of their two ships sailed up to us in leisurely fashion, their colors identifying them as part of the Scarlet Corsairs or somesuch (they're very big on the color red). The ship sitting within shouting distance ("Pride of the Master", I believe), they demanded that we surrender our ship and valuables, and we'd be left to our own devices. Of course, that means that without a ship, being "left to our own devices" means we'd be floating around in the ocean waiting to either starve, drown, or get eaten by marine life, so we refused their generous offer. Immediately, they drew close enough to throw grappling hooks in order to either attempt to board us, or hold us in place to get destroyed by cannons. While I and my comrades immediately began cutting the ropes, they decided to take a third option, having a trio of onboard wizards all casting Ice Storm onto the stern of our ship, beginning to utterly pulverize it into splinters!

I dived out of the way of the incoming Icepocalypse, falling off the side of the ship and managing to grab onto one of the ropes left dangling from a grappling hook and hoping that a wayward ice shard wouldn't clip me. Unfortunately for me, I was on the side within view of the marauding ship, so there was also the distinct possibility of being skewered by arrows, crossbow bolts, more spells, a well-aimed grappling hook, the possibilities for Torgos On A Stick were endless. Not caring one bit about that though, I had A Great Idea! Concentrating as best I could while swinging around on the side of our Under Deconstruction boat, I aimed a Fireball to explode directly above where I saw the Ice Storms being cast from. Although it didn't appear to do much to them, I hoped it at least gave them cause for concern. Lobbing another Fireball at the second ship ("Hand of the Master", from memory) and setting it delightfully on fire certainly did get their attention though.

Soon after, I found myself as the target of various incoming missiles. I knew that climbing back up the rope and onto the ship wouldn't achieve much (except for maybe getting very well acquainted with shards of ice, arrows, crossbow bolts, and more spells...) and simply falling into the water would be a great way to initiate Plan D(rown), I had to come up with an alternative... Fast! And then it hit me, another Great Idea. I'm a Transmuter! I have innate access to the ability to Polymorph items, objects and creatures alike, including myself. And when targeting myself, it doesn't even cost me a spell slot since it's an innate ability, but I'm limited to Polymorphing myself into creatures of the "Beast" subtype, less than or equal to my power level as a wizard. That's got to be a few options; I vaguely remembered reading in my travels about the exact effects of this spell on oneself... Giant Ape? No... T-Rex? No, still land-based... Some lesser form of fish? No, I want revenge, not cowardly escape... Ah yes. The only practical option that really works here is the Giant Shark!

There is a tremendous SPLASH as I fall off the side of the boat and into the water, chanting the Polymorph spell as I go, turning myself into a Giant Shark as I hit the water and vanish beneath the waves. Now it's time for revenge! They're gonna need a bigger boat. I dive way down deep, line myself up, quickly reach RAMMING SPEED, and smash myself headlong into the underside of their boat, the intention being to eventually tip it over and send those bastard mages straight into the water with me. Let's see how well they can cast when they're being chewed on and dragged underwater! While not enough to achieve the effect immediately, the boat does start rocking in a vastly satisfying and precarious manner, and I perform the same manouver another couple of times to really get it tipping. Singing a suitably jolly sea shanty in my mind as I do my ramming, I'm dimly aware that some of my comrades have also managed to board this ship and make life hard for its occupants as well. In short order there is an almighty FLASH of light (that would be our holy-inclined friends smiting... Some undead? Interesting...) and some of the crew either fall or jump overboard, including the remaining mages once I do one more almighty RAM (boats are so splintery and crunchy when a Giant Shark repeatedly rams them, who knew?) and I take great delight in chewing them to pieces.

I will note that although I am dragon descended, and I enjoy the taste of meat, I do not enjoy the taste of humans and the like, not even as a blood-frenzied shark (a curious fact when I think about it); I didn't actually eat any of them. The mages though, there was a distinct satisfaction in chewing on them, especially because they were the undead that got blitzed by the Holies up on deck. The poor fools were still trying to cast spells underwater! Sure, you don't need to breathe if you're undead as such, but you do still need to be able to speak in order to cast most things! I think it was the irony of this that tasted the most delicious. Thankfully I had the presence of mind to try and toss their remains up onboard for looting. I managed to get two, but the third had sunk into the thick detritus on the sea floor somewhere. A pity... Mages usually have some exciting trinkets.

[OOC: Torgos's alignment is still True Neutral at this point, but his overall mental state has slid a little further from this experience; he had a bit too much fun being a giant, boat-ramming and crew-mauling shark...]

After the battle was over, and I'd Polymorphed back into my normal form and climbed aboard the ship I'd previously been ramming, I found out that the ship we arrived on was utterly toast, that its captain had gone down with it (he made sure that everyone else got off it, and didn't have time to get off himself in the end; he's a hero!), our Paladin had gone down after him, rescued him from the scorched and mangled wreck, and brought him back onboard to be revived by the Cleric. I was very happy with that outcome; such a person is rare in this day and age, and we largely owed him our lives as well. He would not even try to cut and run once we were outnumbered.

No doubt, word of these events will reach the captain in charge of the piracy operations, and he or she will not be pleased... So what else are we going to do but head straight for their island fortress, kick in the front door and teach them how to destroy your enemies properly!

-> Volume 13
Last edited by Gingercat on Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:17 am UTC

Yay! It's Addams!
Someone has given her internet!
(or maybe she's using TIOC)
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Rakhal

Postby Rakhal » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:02 am UTC

Fingers crossed for a quick recovery by Addams. This place would not be the same without her!

--Rakhal

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Randomly Revisited - np1936

Postby mscha » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:00 am UTC

SUPERSTRONGTHS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by mscha.)

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:THERE IS NO VIRGIN, SAID THE GLR, FOR THE OTCOLORED

-- posted by randompixbot

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:49 pm UTC

Rakhal wrote:Fingers crossed for a quick recovery by Addams. This place would not be the same without her!

--Rakhal

That's for sure! Happily, I have had some molpish conversations with her. She is on her way home from the hospital, yay! She will have some challenges over the next few weeks as she recovers, but we should see her molping about the OTT.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

AluisioASG

Beanish

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:55 am UTC

Did anyone see this?
tresoldi wrote:So, after months of not looking at the corpus and only lurking on rare occasions on the OTT (sorry, guys), I decided it is time to come back and try some new ideas. But, first, I will probably wrap everything up into some academic paper — my CV needs it, and it will hopefully bring more people on board.

If anyone wants to collaborate, please get in touch! :)
Selecting new quote…

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:08 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote: I have had some molpish conversations with her. She is on her way home from the hospital, yay! She will have some challenges over the next few weeks as she recovers, but we should see her molping about the OTT.

Yay!!

AP: Ok, wait while I find it.
artificialPerpendicularity (AP) sent you the file tioc.tar.gz
AP: You unpack it and then "make" and "make install". It has readme files.
B: Thank you very much for your game-changing help!
B: One more question.
B: What's the differenced in LEML?
AP: LEML made an OS and they called it LEML.
AP: It uses a modified Linux kernel which is also called LEML.
AP: It's the only OS in which I could make the CT card work.
B: No, I mean, about installing TIOC.
AP: There is a file for the package manager
artificialPerpendicularity (AP) sent you the file tioc.lpg
AP: That's all.
B: My other friend also has LEML.
AP: That's very expectable, actually.
AP: Anyway, today I will not have the time for games.
AP: Also, speaking of today, happy birthday!
B: Thank you.
AP: Come back when you manage to make it work. (or not)
artificialPerpendicularity (AP) ended the private chat with you.

tresoldi wrote:Deciphering Beanish ~ ᖉ, ᖆᐣᖚᔭ,ᐦ

Woah, the beanish translation isn't finished?
I'll be right back.
*Vanishes into the past and begins hurriedly reading through the language notes left in the thread*
Wait For It.

thunk

Re: 1190: "cONGvalescence"

Postby thunk » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:03 am UTC

Hello Addams. Glad you are getting better.

I like the Weather Reports.
They're a more interesting way of looking at my field of study.

The qualitative aspect adds perspective.
With just the facts and figures you can miss a lot of it.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

addams

Postby addams » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:29 am UTC

Hell-o Time;
It's good to be Home.

Home with you.
(Sniff-Sniff)
And (*Hugs* all around)

I'm a tired Poster.
I will see you when a new day comes.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

TheGhost

Postby TheGhost » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:54 am UTC

I'm still far from ketching up, but here's an ONG for y'all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnxowuQ1KvU
NP= NewPage
np= newpix

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:13 am UTC

Welcome back home, Addams!

New OtherComic.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Eternal Density

dodododo click click

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:30 am UTC

Hi Addams! Hi everyone! Sorry I've been unraptorish lately. I blame hotdogs.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:20 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:Welcome back home, Addams!

New OtherComic.

Fun fact: On Geekwagon, our scroll wheel does scroll through Time instead of space!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:35 pm UTC

TheGhost wrote:I'm still far from ketching up, but here's an ONG for y'all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnxowuQ1KvU

Oh look, I whole list of things I better avoid if I ever want to get anything done...

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "MBMBAM"

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:36 pm UTC

In an epsilon coincidence, the new Chronicles of Torgos is about being a shark, while the new What-If is based on a question that came from the podcast My Brother, My Brother and Me which I only know about because of a thing called Glass Shark. Thanks, Desert Bus.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:14 am UTC

This is a mostly Blind Post.
A Weather Observation:
Spoiler:
The power of Mopish Thoughts?
The power of Prayer?
The power of Worry?

The jaw dropping coincidence of Praying, Worrying and having OTTers sending Mopish Messages, that I noticed?

On Sunday, it was required that a dear, kind and courageous soul transport me over Oregon Mountain.
As you all know, I was scheduled for life extending treatment the very next day.

Over the Mountain we went.

As we crossed the Mountain, the snow started coming down Hard.
Blindingly Thick, Slipery, White Snow. (AHH!!)

As worry and prayer was turning to Panic; As if from The Hand of Providence.
A snow plow turned out in front of our car and gave us a thirty mile escort!

(ech) I was my own true Calamity Jane in Hospital.
So; The return journey was delayed by three days.

The return trip was to be done in The Dark!
It has rained here, non-stop, for a long Time.

In the Mountains rain is snow. I was a Worried Poster.
Our return trip was under dry skies, over dry pavement.

Now that I am safe and sound in my little clearing in the forest;
Well....It is raining a steady rain as if Nothing at all had happened.

Of Course! It is Coincidence.
But; I can not help myself from looking at the rain in slack jawed wonder.
uh-hum...Now..

Back to our regularly scheduled Ketchup.
That I will get to... in a few mips or mops.

I am not able to Ketchup, because I have found
myself rearranging and clearing out my bookcase.

Yes. Books.
Remember them?

(ech) Heavy, cumbersome items from ages past.
Yet; Somehow they seem to still breed in my Now.
Spoiler:
How dare they...
(grumble-grumble)

Yet; Picture books are still so very charming.
How can I part with a picture book of Australia?

Don't all persons from the Rainy NorthWest need, Really Need!
A full color Mushroom Identification Book?
It is so good to be Home.
Thanks to you, Time, I have one.
Last edited by addams on Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:58 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

AluisioASG

char const* reply_to[1];

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:41 am UTC

But how much Time is a mop?

addams wrote:transport me over Oregon Mountain.
I imagined an helicopter.
I can't unsee it.
Selecting new quote…

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:06 am UTC

TheGhost wrote:I wonder if making this song influenced yappobiscuit to join a band.

Haha no I've been an experienced musician and in bands since well before Time.

Wow, 2 yips since the OTTercon... I want to go to that part of the world soon... I know there won't be OTTers there this time but I still need to go to Phantasialand and ride Taron :P

In important outside relatedness news, the play that I'm doing in April features an inn called The Sea Otter. I may have had some influence on picking that name. :P
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

TheGhost

Postby TheGhost » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:39 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Wow, 2 yips since the OTTercon... I want to go to that part of the world soon... I know there won't be OTTers there this time but I still need to go to Phantasialand and ride Taron :P

An OTTercon, eh? That must have been quite interesting. Also, is 1 yip the equivalent of 8,760 ONGs? If so, why did it only happen 2 yips ago? Didn't the OTC *end* (is this still heretical?) 3 and 1/2 yips ago?
NP= NewPage
np= newpix

svenman

Postby svenman » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:46 pm UTC

TheGhost wrote:An OTTercon, eh? That must have been quite interesting. Also, is 1 yip the equivalent of 8,760 ONGs? If so, why did it only happen 2 yips ago? Didn't the OTC *end* (is this still heretical?) 3 and 1/2 yips ago?

And yet the OTT is doing fine, even now. In fact, it was specifically an interest in how, and why, the OTT continues to thrive the way it does long after the OTC stopped updating that provided the opportunity for OTTercon.

Read more, if you want to:

Addams, good to hear (read) from you!
Spoiler:
And I'm pretty sure none of us were mopey when we sent you molpish thoughts... :mrgreen:
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:14 pm UTC

That was lucky.
You found a solution (which you didn't know existed) to your problem (which you also didn't know existed).
Someone actually made a TIOC!
The world never stops to surprise you.

I wouldn't be smiling just yet. So far it has only been made to work on an OS you don't have.

I'm back from a fun couple days camping away from home sleeping in a tent. I'll commence ketchup when I can. :)
Agatha the Awesomeful

addams

Postby addams » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:30 am UTC

svenman wrote:
TheGhost wrote:An OTTercon, eh? That must have been quite interesting. Also, is 1 yip the equivalent of 8,760 ONGs? If so, why did it only happen 2 yips ago? Didn't the OTC *end* (is this still heretical?) 3 and 1/2 yips ago?

And yet the OTT is doing fine, even now. In fact, it was specifically an interest in how, and why, the OTT continues to thrive the way it does long after the OTC stopped updating that provided the opportunity for OTTercon.

Read more, if you want to:

Addams, good to hear (read) from you!
Spoiler:
And I'm pretty sure none of us were mopey when we sent you molpish thoughts... :mrgreen:
Thank you, Svenman.

ahhh...Yes. The OTTercon.
I remember what I thought the Why was.
The Why of the OTT continuing to thrive the way it did.
Spoiler:
I turned to the Theory of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow&#3 ... y_of_needs

My talk was planed as a take-off from Maslow.
My talk, unexpectedly, spun into introducing the man and his ideas.

Maslow and his ideas were fundamental to my university education;
I was so Surprised the other OTTers did not know of him.

At the Time I could explain how Time, the OTT, met each of the needs of the Posters.
With the notable exception of the most basic needs. (food, clothing and shelter)

I believed, at the Time, the two bottom rungs on Maslow's Hierarchy must be tossed out when discussing the internet.
I have sense learned, in the most personal of ways, the OTT meets even the lowest needs of its community members.

To this very day, I think Maslow's Hierarchy can be used to explain, at least in part, the How and Why of the OTT's success.
And; Even more today than on that day I am honored to be allowed to participate in a uniquely successful internet community.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

lmjb1964

Re: 1190: "cONGvalescence"

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:54 am UTC

thunk wrote:Hello Addams. Glad you are getting better.

Are you a meteorologist?

And why isn't a meteorologist someone who studies meteors?

addams wrote:ahhh...Yes. The OTTercon.
I remember what I thought the Why was.
The Why of the OTT continuing to thrive the way it did.[spoiler]I turned to the Theory of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs

Fixed that link for you.

yappobiscuits wrote:
TheGhost wrote:I wonder if making this song influenced yappobiscuit to join a band.

Haha no I've been an experienced musician and in bands since well before Time.

Wow, 2 yips since the OTTercon... I want to go to that part of the world soon... I know there won't be OTTers there this time but I still need to go to Phantasialand and ride Taron :P

In important outside relatedness news, the play that I'm doing in April features an inn called The Sea Otter. I may have had some influence on picking that name. :P

Wow, Phantasialand looks awesomeful! I'll be in Germany 5-15 Innocence (28 March-8 April), but in Berlin on the other side of the country, so I don't think I'll make it to Cologne. I am hoping to meet up with Sustainabilzer somewhere in the middle of the country, and maybe even balthabuy somewhere. So come on down to Germany! Of course, if you're in a play in April, you probably won't have time to take a trip to Germany. :(

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:02 am UTC

ggh wrote:I wouldn't be smiling just yet. So far it has only been made to work on an OS you don't have.
56 wrote:AP: It's the only OS in which I could make the CT card work.
Not the same thing.

Yesterday I went to start preparing my new place.
Went there in the morning for 4 hours and returned.
In the afternoon I went there for 4 hours again.
Going there by bike takes 1 hour.
So it means that I spent 8 hours working and 4 hours on bike.

addams wrote:The Why of the OTT continuing to thrive the way it did.I turned to the Theory of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.
[...]
At the Time I could explain how Time, the OTT, met each of the needs of the Posters.

!
Over 2 years ago I wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:Why did I join? Why did I stay?
[...]
I think that the OTT is exactly what I needed.

Spoiler:
While looking for that quote I found this one:
balthasar_s wrote:I didn't notice when I became an OTTer. I still wasn't thinking of myself as an OTTer when everyone else was. After the "What have you done to me, Time?" film Valarya called me an OTTer. I was surprised.

And this one:
balthasar_s wrote:That's really crazy if you think about it (If you don't think about it it's still crazy but you don't think about it then).

addams wrote:I was so Surprised the other OTTers did not know of him.
actually, I did know about him and the needs. (They told me in school.) But I didn't think more about it.

Thinking about why the OTT happened and continued leads me to another thoughts,
why I'm making things? Why am I drawing bftf and bsta.
Because,
I don't actually know.
I wrote a post once:
balthasar_s wrote:
Spoiler:
Do you know what I really miss when I'm creating things (like films, comics, etc)?
Being able to see them not as the author but as someone who sees it for the time and does not know what to expect from it.
At the time when the thing I did is ready and I look at it I already know it very well.

But,
I can experience something else.
The process in which small ideas flying in the air start accumulating and forming a thing which becomes more and more real.
And I'm right there to see it.
Even more,
I'm making this happen!
That's a really strong feeling.

I don't know why actually I'm making things.
But this might be related.

And then I post the ready thing.
And I can see others seeing it, reacting to it.
I can see how it influences a fragment of reality.

When I made bftf I was waiting for the frames to appear and to see what happens on the OTT.
In the very first days of bftf I had trouble falling asleep - such big emotions it caused.

If you want to wait for a TAT more than ever before - make one.
That could be a part of the answer.

!addams,
I my earlier days of being here
when I saw your posts I didn't know what to think about them, how to read them, how to understand them
(Then, you weren't so active in the OTT, more in other places. I was a little surprised that you went to Bochum)
But, as time continued, your writings have become more valuable to me.

also,
some have noticed this about my posts like this one.
ucim wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:The evolution of ONGbots and viewers:
I wanted to ONG a story.
[...]
Be careful what you wish for!

But in any case, the "making of" is as treeish as the original!

I must say however, that your style seems to be channeling a bit of addams.

So, the weather became a thing that people write about here these days.

This week (I don't remember which day exactly it was) there was strong wind in the morning.
I went to the train station like every day.
But the wind made it difficult to move forward on the bike.
I was late for the train.
The last part of the way is along the railway.
I could see the lights of the train standing at the station, on the end of the road.
Before I reached it, the train went away.

Last week, thursday.
It was raining much the night before.
In the morning (it was still dark) there were still many patches of water on the road.
When going through water the front wheel is shooting many water drops to the front.
They go directly through the cone of light of the front lamp.
It makes them shine (on the dark background) like those sparks that you see when cutting metal.
Looks like some cool fireworks but it's just water and light.

This week.
I was sitting at work.
Through the windows we could see a change of weather.
There was wind and hail. Very tiny pieces of ice falling through the sky.
The wind made them fall horizontally.
Two hours later I left work.
The weather changed completely.
It was nice and warm and sunny.
You would never guess what just happened.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

thunk

Re: 1190: "A.E.I.O.ung."

Postby thunk » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:01 pm UTC

close, but no.

lmjb1964 wrote:
thunk wrote:Hello Addams. Glad you are getting better.

Are you a meteorologist?

And why isn't a meteorologist someone who studies meteors?

In training, really.
And we do indeed study various kinds of hydrometeors. But you probably want the outer space variety in which case ask the meteoriticians.
Like astrology, first dibs on the cool name gets it.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

addams

Postby addams » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:21 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:So, the weather became a thing that people write about here these days.

This week (I don't remember which day exactly it was) there was strong wind in the morning.
I went to the train station like every day.
But the wind made it difficult to move forward on the bike.
I was late for the train.
The last part of the way is along the railway.
I could see the lights of the train standing at the station, on the end of the road.
Before I reached it, the train went away.

Last week, thursday.
It was raining much the night before.
In the morning (it was still dark) there were still many patches of water on the road.
When going through water the front wheel is shooting many water drops to the front.
They go directly through the cone of light of the front lamp.
It makes them shine (on the dark background) like those sparks that you see when cutting metal.
Looks like some cool fireworks but it's just water and light.

This week.
I was sitting at work.
Through the windows we could see a change of weather.
There was wind and hail. Very tiny pieces of ice falling through the sky.
The wind made them fall horizontally.
Two hours later I left work.
The weather changed completely.
It was nice and warm and sunny.
You would never guess what just happened.
Balthasar;
From a world away,
I Love You.

And...Now for The Weather Report:
Spoiler:
!!!AHHH!!!
DANGER! WILL ROBERTSON!
DANGER! DANGER!
[/b][/i]
(Waves Arms Helplessly)

I'm looking out on a Winter Wonderland!!

I live on the Southern Oregon Coast!
We get a dusting of Snow every five years or so;
Whether we need it or Not!

There is at least three inches of Snow on the ground and it is still coming down Hard!

(sniff-sniff)
At least I'm Home.
Home...Safe and Warmish....

Brrr....
I'm not prepared for this sort of thing.
I dare Not open a door.

I can not go Out There.
I don't want Out There to come in here.

I suppose,...
I should prepare to make a snow-person.
But, but, ..but...That is Hard Work...

Internet friends are Delightful.
Internet friends are Joyfulness.

But; Internet friends can not pack snow
into the shape of an internet friend.
Spoiler:
(sniff-sniff)
Whether it be Cold.
Whether it be Hot.

There will be Weather.
Whether or Not.
Dear Time Posters;
Do you have Weather, too?

edit: I've learned;
The GreenHouse, a place of bright warmth;
Is dark and gloomy when covered with a blanket of Snow.

It is strange and dark in there....
(shh...) Whispers seem appropriate.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Gingercat

Re: char const* reply_to[1];

Postby Gingercat » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:41 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:But how much Time is a mop?

The answer will floor you.

I'll just see myself out.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”