1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby GnomeAnne » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:53 pm UTC

Hi ergman!
Quoted since this is a new page.
ergman wrote:I've given up hope on staying caught up. My life is filled with things now. But I'll try to surf the present.

You should blitz bsta too, if you haven't already.
Wait For It.

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np523

Postby mscha » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:10 pm UTC

THINKUNGNESS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:MINI-BUNNY HAS CASTRAFTLES, IF YOU HAVE COIN

-- posted by oldpixbot

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:44 pm UTC

Parental sleep patterns are chewtoys for teething toddlers.

Discuss. ;)
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:01 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:Helpers first post was on page 31, He originally disappeared for nearly a mip starting NP 259
aeglaeca wrote:
Helper wrote:I'ma coma. G'night.

BTW, that must of been one hell of a coma.
then reappeared on 474 (now 473). He posted far less frequently after this, submitting his final most recent post in Visitation Ja of the following yip, on NP 2149

FTFY.

Hello to everyone, new and old.

Gingercat wrote:Parental sleep patterns are chewtoys for teething toddlers.

Discuss. ;)

I don't think I yet had a sleep pattern during toddler teething. I figured out that I went a 5 year stretch without sleeping as much as 5 hours straight.
You would not believe how amazing that first 5 hour night felt. (And the sheer panic when I woke up, sure tragedy had struck while I slept.)

Funny story:

Older child was out of diapers, and was figuring out waking up at night as needed. A few nights in, it was suggested that she actually didn't need to wake me up, she could go on her own, and go back to bed.

Next night, usual time, "Mom! Mom! I went potty all by myself and didn't wake you up!" Somehow I managed to muster the appropriate enthusiasm, and not point out that waking me up to tell me she didn't wake me up, really wasn't helpful.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:55 am UTC

SBN wrote:Somehow I managed to muster the appropriate enthusiasm, and not point out that waking me up to tell me she didn't wake me up, really wasn't helpful.

And that is one of the things that separates the good parents from the bad ones :)
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:24 am UTC

You finally left behind the safety of your room and thus began exploring the wild and unknown outside world.
Ooh, that's probably not a good idea, it could end badly.
Wait For It.

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Sans Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:37 am UTC

balthasar_s wrote:The song it plays is "Megalovania".
Because that's what my sister is playing on the piano recently.

The video (and audio) quality is very bad. So you might not hear the 4 sounds clearly (actually, most of the time there are 3 or 2).

Luckily, I also made a program that generates a .wav file which is identical to the signal generated by the device.
Just mentioning Megalovania makes my brain execute a program which generates the song in my head. Sometimes it's the original version, and sometimes the kazoo version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdaduOiiR10
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:56 am UTC

SBN wrote:Funny story:

Older child was out of diapers, and was figuring out waking up at night as needed. A few nights in, it was suggested that she actually didn't need to wake me up, she could go on her own, and go back to bed.

Next night, usual time, "Mom! Mom! I went potty all by myself and didn't wake you up!" Somehow I managed to muster the appropriate enthusiasm, and not point out that waking me up to tell me she didn't wake me up, really wasn't helpful.
Thank you.
I needed That.
Spoiler:
The Truth is better than Fiction.
Sweeter and Funnier.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:21 am UTC

Hi ergman! Image Do stop in whenever you find the Time!

Funny story, SBN. Image My cousins have just started potty-training their eldest and I can see that in their future...

Megan and Cueball, sittin' knee-to-knee, soon to talk about that risUNG sea:

Image Schizoblitz Report 8 .Image

Newpage 80/2580

Spoiler:
Only 2500 newpages to go! Hurray!

As part of todip's Image 10,000, I googled BOFH to find out what it stood for after it popped up on NP 76, being somewhat reminded of LEML when I saw it. Turns out it comes from a delightfully geeky background; I should have expected as much from these fora! In this little snippet of blitz, user Magnap proposes the use of "coma" which of course will catch on with the thread-at-large.

There's an interesting difference between "shifts" of these early OTTers: it seems that a large American faction was initially responsible for much of the quasireligious sandbabbling, and when that group went acoma, the discussions ebbed back to a more coherent back-and-forth regarding the content of the newpix - the Europeans taking a turn. (There are also other continents involved here but those seem to be the two largest and distinctive groups.) Possibly part of the reason the Americans were the first to succumb to Madness was because their shift took place during the age of the Slow Pixel where very little was happening in the OTC to talk about.

jaycim wrote:
For me the comic works as some kind of time management. I keep thinking stuff like 'Oh, I can finish this in time for the new frame' or 'I have to schedule a break now to check on the comic'.

Sounds more like addiction than time management, I guess.

You don't manage Time. Time manages you.

freezer wrote:
We'll be zooming out all through the day.
Tomorrow, we will zoom-in on another part of the beach, where Cueball is just starting to work on a brand new sand castle. He'll be building it for at least 2-3 days. Then another zoom-out.
Next week: nightfall. The comic will be pitch black for the whole week.
Mid-April: Cueball and Megan wake up by the sand castles and start fixing up damage caused by a bunch of coyotes.
May: a mosquito bites Cueball and he screams. More sand castles. Megan goes to the bathroom.
2014: zoom in to a spot near one of the sand castles where a plant starts to bloom.
2017: the plant is now a huge tree, Cueball and Megan die from dehydration.

Well if there's a tree near the Sandcastle now, it must be some kind of seatree.
Also, I hope the Cueganites found a good freshwater supply on the newly-discovered land. Image

appleGirl wrote:
I am currently reading both the latest posts on this thread, and posts back on page 58. This is CONFUSING.

Baobabs - perhaps the very first documented instance of schizoblitzing! From one of my -Girl bretheren, no less.
I salute you, long lost appleGirl.

QuOTTations

...when you take science-y people and make them bored you get religion?
-kaley, NP 77

I have joined the present and now I want to sleep.
-Beidah, NP 77

Megan and Cueball have the advantage of being stick figures, so their tiny hands allow them to perform very fine manipulations. To them each grain of sand can be positioned exactly in the right place to allow for perfect bonding.
This does rather beg the question about how long it takes one grain at a time.

-Eoink, NP 79

Redundant:
Spoiler:

bar008.png
bar008.png (248 Bytes) Viewed 10268 times

redundant294.png
redundant294.png (74.69 KiB) Viewed 10268 times
Edit to number schizoblitzreport.
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Mon May 01, 2017 10:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:38 am UTC

I'm really enjoying the blitz reports.
If you continue at your current rate you'll be done in less than a year.

Meanwhile
These are the parts of b's house we've seen so far.
I wonder if the house ends beyond the wall on the left, or if there's something there. A walkin closet maybe?
And does the ceiling above where b is, slope down to meet that wall on the lower landing?
Spoiler:
Any bets on whether he goes to the windowless door or down the stairs?
Untitled.png
Wait For It.

karhell

Postby karhell » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:46 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:I'm really enjoying the blitz reports.
Same here. Brings back memories ^^

Given his current position, I'm betting B is headed down the stairs.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:59 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:Hi ergman!
Quoted since this is a new page.
ergman wrote:I've given up hope on staying caught up. My life is filled with things now. But I'll try to surf the present.

You should blitz bsta too, if you haven't already.

Sounds neat. I assume it's some sort of continuation of Balthasar's story? Anyone got a viewer link?

Speaking of viewers, it appears Geekwagon is down. Now's our chance to get Randall to switch to Mscha, the One True Viewer.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:08 pm UTC

Endish dip when there's no aubronwood or geekwagon available. Huge, huge, Zancleanhuge thanks to mscha for his maintenance of the OTV!

PoledancUNG:

GnomeAnne wrote:I'm really enjoying the blitz reports.
If you continue at your current rate you'll be done in less than a year.
karhell wrote:Same here. Brings back memories ^^

Thanks! :) I'm hoping that if I can get myself into a habit of blitzing on/around the wipend I'll keep up the momentum. My current FFS doesn't leave me very much free Time!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:22 pm UTC

ergman wrote:
I wrote:You should blitz bsta too, if you haven't already.

Sounds neat. I assume it's some sort of continuation of Balthasar's story? Anyone got a viewer link?

http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/bsta/
The "Wait..." is the link to the next frame.

It's a different story, but with similarities.

Has anyone looked into what's reloading the 1190 page? Maybe GLR made a time two but no-one noticed and he's trying to get our attention.
Wait For It.

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:49 pm UTC

Oh I hope it isn't broken! I really really want to see what the epilogue sequence is for 2018 - I think that's going to tell us a lot - and if GLR shut it down to a still frame because of mustard I'd be pretty bummed.

Hold on... the reloading doesn't seem evenly spaced for me. Could it be morse code?
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:03 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:And does the ceiling above where b is, slope down to meet that wall on the lower landing?

GnomeAnne wrote:I wonder if the house ends beyond the wall on the left, or if there's something there. A walkin closet maybe?

Here is a quick drawing of the whole floor:

I'm impressed by the 3Drawing.

karhell wrote:Given his current position, I'm betting B is headed down the stairs.
balthasar_s wrote:Downward movement starts playing

ergman wrote:Sounds neat. I assume it's some sort of continuation of Balthasar's story? Anyone got a viewer link?

http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/bsta/v

Oh no! Not our geekwagon!

We still have at least 3 viewers:
1 2 3
ETA: Or even more: http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Useful_External_Links#Watch_the_frames

Spoiler:
79nhw.png
79nhw.png (6.47 KiB) Viewed 9992 times
plandomu.png
plandomu.png (7.33 KiB) Viewed 9992 times
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:08 pm UTC

Silly molpy me, I forgot just how Image OTTers are.

ggh wrote:
Oh I hope it isn't broken! I really really want to see what the epilogue sequence is for 2018 - I think that's going to tell us a lot - and if GLR shut it down to a still frame because of mustard I'd be pretty bummed.

Hold on... the reloading doesn't seem evenly spaced for me. Could it be morse code?

Epilogue hiccups. I'm sure we can derive an art form from them!

More pole slidUNG:

Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

svenman

Postby svenman » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:07 pm UTC

Ketchup continuONG:

Spoiler:
Wait for it.

...where was I? Oh yes, ketchup continuing:
balthasar_s wrote:The beanie I received i Germany in 2015.
I lost it. And I found itn. But it was not the same any more.

I most likely lost it on Thursday on the way home from the train station.
Yesterday I couldn't find it.
Today morning I went to the train and I noticed it.
But it was destroyed. Probably by a dog.

That is unmolpish. Sorry to hear you were less lucky than I when I lost my cap recently.

GnomeAnne wrote:[about the One True Wiki] The quotes page only covers the first few hundred NPs.
This is not because there are no good quotes after that, there are lots. Have people grown weary of adding to it, but someone re blitzing the thread could start again? Was it decided that later posts are unworthy, or that having that page would lessen the appeal of blitzing? Or is it that the sheer number of memorable quotes in 2500+ pages of posts by such creative people is simply too much for such a list?
If it were to cover the whole thread, it would necessarily have to be split into multiple pages, like the OTTification list.
I have almost reached page 278 in my quasi reblitz, should I begin at that point collecting the best quotes to add to the list, or leave them shrouded in the mists of Time?

Go for it. By the time I had gotten into the swing of contributing to a wider variety of pages on the OTW, the Quotes page had already become inactive, so I never got into the habit of contributing to that particular page, but I welcome any change to that.

And I concur with BlitzGirl, the page really needs to be reformatted. Adding the source links is laudable in principle (some of the OTColoreds on the wiki are still missing a link to their respective OTT sources), but formatting them as footnotes in such huge numbers is steambottlish.

Hmm...

Changed it. The link text now reads "Source" in every instance, having a statement of the actual newpage would be a lot molpisher but also a seaish amount of work, what I did tonip was basically just accomplished with global search and replace. Some further reformatting and grouping, maybe by groups of 100 or 500 newpages, would still be neat, but this is what the first part of reformatting a wiki page looks like, at least.

Maybe some more ketchup next time.
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:25 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:I'm impressed by the 3Drawing.
ah, yes, that does seen impressive...almost too impressive...in fact, if I were the suspicious sort I would almost think it was not drawn at all, but rather made in a 3D modeling program similar to the one used to execute your idea and make suggestions for ggh's greenhouse.
Wait For It.

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:36 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:
karhell wrote:Given his current position, I'm betting B is headed down the stairs.
balthasar_s wrote:Downward movement starts playing
Chapter heading?

Congrats on the successful Megalovania! That's awesomeful! Did you unveil it at your FFS yet?
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:55 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:I'm impressed by the 3Drawing.
ah, yes, that does seen impressive...almost too impressive...in fact, if I were the suspicious sort I would almost think it was not drawn at all, but rather made in a 3D modeling program similar to the one used to execute your idea and make suggestions for ggh's greenhouse.
In which case it would appear even more impressive, as in my experiences it isn't very easy to create faux-hand-drawn lines in 3D modeling programs.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:00 pm UTC

Well, in that case, thank you.
Wait For It.

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np545

Postby mscha » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:10 pm UTC

RETROFITTUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:YOU LIVE BY THE THWAPSTICK, YOU COMA BY THE THWAPSTICK

-- posted by oldpixbot

balthasar_s

Very slow investigation

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:27 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Congrats on the successful Megalovania! That's awesomeful! Did you unveil it at your FFS yet?
balthasar_s wrote:I made a custom software for a device produced by my FFS. It can play music now. It can play up to 4 notes at the same time.

I made a video recording.
But because the machine is still in development and it's not being sold yet I think I should not post the video publicly.
If someone wants to see the video write a PM to me and I will send you a link to it.
(Hofefully, in a few months I will be allowed to post it freely).

I showed this to some people in my FFS today.
I did. First, I showed this in my team's room.
One of them says, let's go downstairs, they should see this too.
We go to the room where are some programmers who worked on exactly this device.
He says "We have something to see for you, what Balthasar has written".
My work there does not involve programming these things so they are curious.

We turn it on.
Downward movement Megalovania starts playing.
At first with just one sound.
"nice, it plays music"
but they start noticing that it doesn't sound liike just a squarewave.
Then the second sound starts.
Then the third.
They are impressed.

Very recently one of them was doing some changes related to making sound. Just some beeps. He said that this the most that we can get from it.
And then I come and show them what I can do with it.
(to be fair, their software uses the resources (timers, etc.) and memory for many other things, mine only plays music and doesn't have to do anything else)
They say "make sure that the customer doesn't see this, otherwise they will want us to do something like this."
(This week some people from the company that is buying these things visited us. They were somewhere in the building while I was showing this.)
We made some jokes and I left and went back to work.

Today he said me that in their room there was a lot of discussion about it.
"HOW did he do the polyphony?"
"Did he use the DAC?"
"Did he use timers? which timers? how many?"
He told them that I uploaded the code to a network drive.
They started looking through it, very interested.

There is one thing that I still have to add to my code - changing the speed while playing a song. (ETA: did it)
This one doesn't need it but I want to add others and at least one of them will.

GnomeAnne wrote:In which case it would appear even more impressive, as in my experiences it isn't very easy to create faux-hand-drawn lines in 3D modeling programs.
If I had to do this I would make a 3D model first (no idea how), make a screenshot, then draw my lines on that screenshot, then remove it so that only my drawing remains.
Last edited by balthasar_s on Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BFTF replay
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:00 pm UTC

If I did it, I would make a rough 3D drawing, export a 2D graphic of the view I want using wireframe, so it just shows outlines, then trace over it and add details and b.

The execute your idea drawing, and the one with the arrow pointing to the toolbox, were just sketchup. I use a style pack that has the appearance of a hand drawn image. But none of the styles in it look enough like bsta, so for this one I traced over it in gimp.

I found out how to make gimp draw straight lines as I was almost done tracing it. You can see some of the railings are straight than the others. I could have used that feature with the "introduce jitter" tool, and it would have taken far less time.
Wait For It.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:12 pm UTC

Awesomeful, balthalovania! We here all know you're a genius, so it's molpish whenever the Outside catches on as well. :)

DehydratiUNG setting in for Cueball; Megan rushes to bring him a 12-pack of soda:

Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ggh

Re: Very slow investigation

Postby ggh » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:23 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:I showed this to some people in my FFS today.
Haha! - sometimes my reading comprehension isn't very comprehensive. Still though, I wouldn't have been happy until I heard the whole story. Now I am very happy. :)

ETA: there was just a Megalovania Dance Party on our mattress.
Agatha the Awesomeful

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:00 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:If someone wants to see the video write a PM to me and I will send you a link to it.
(Hopefully, in a few months I will be allowed to post it freely).
balthasar_s wrote:They say "make sure that the customer doesn't see this, otherwise they will want us to do something like this."

Was that mostly a joke, or will you not be able to put it here because someone might see it?

bauthorsar_s wrote:Image

Ah, now the odd shape of 21 makes sense.
Wait For It.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:39 am UTC

Weather.
Spoiler:
Another Scary Storm Rages OutSide My Windows.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:59 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:Was that mostly a joke, or will you not be able to put it here because someone might see it?

That was a joke.

But.
This is a device which is not being sold yet.
In this video the machine is seen.
This is considered to be secret information by my FFS.

When this is available to buy in markets then it will not be a secret any more.
But that's still a video taken inside my FFS. It might still be not ok to post it.
I don't know who could answer me.

Another thing to consider.
Imagine this situation (not very likely):
I post the video. IIRC, Megalovania is a song that appeared in some games and not only. These have their fans. Some fans find the video and start sharing it, more people see it. Someone recognizes what machine it is. (Not difficult, the logo is visible on the beginning). The company which produces the machine (my FFS only makes the electronics for it) finds out and is not happy that they are getting attention because of the "??? machine plays music" video. That's a big company I'm talking about. Even if their engineers would probably like it, the company itself may not. They want their machines to be associated with other things than sound playing. They put some money (advertisement, whatever else) to create their image or whatever and my video works against that.
I would be in trouble then.
BFTF replay

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:18 am UTC

Yes, my FFS is similarly picky about such things. New releases, proprietary technology, etc. We minions are not allowed to take photos at work.

Megan: "I'm leavUNG you."

Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:02 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

svenman

Postby svenman » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:25 pm UTC

And I'm just done ottifying the previous one:

Redundant
Spoiler:

Both images based on xkcd comic 1822 "Existential Bug Reports" by Randall Munroe, modified by myself, and published under CC-BY-NC 2.5.

xkcd1822_otters_bug_reports.png
xkcd1822_redundant_bug_reports.png
Edit: Link to original othercomic outside of spoiler added.
Last edited by svenman on Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:14 pm UTC

Hey! OTTers! It amazes and impresses me that this is still here. I guess we're past the point where I should be surprised. I was just thinking about all of you after we passed another April 1, and then realized that I somehow never connected Hamilton's "Wait For It" with the OTT. I've changed. I feel shame. Anyways hi!

HES

Postby HES » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:26 pm UTC

You didn't miss the connection, you just had to Wait For It!
He/Him/His Image

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:56 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:Hey! OTTers! It amazes and impresses me that this is still here. I guess we're past the point where I should be surprised. I was just thinking about all of you after we passed another April 1, and then realized that I somehow never connected Hamilton's "Wait For It" with the OTT. I've changed. I feel shame. Anyways hi!

Hi jetpac. I see you are still wearing your hat, so everything is molpish.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:02 pm UTC

Hi jetpac - It's great to see you! Image
Treeish OTTercomic, svenman!

Cueball: "I'm leavUNG you."

Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:08 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
jetpac wrote:Hey! OTTers! It amazes and impresses me that this is still here. I guess we're past the point where I should be surprised. I was just thinking about all of you after we passed another April 1, and then realized that I somehow never connected Hamilton's "Wait For It" with the OTT. I've changed. I feel shame. Anyways hi!

Hi jetpac. I see you are still wearing your hat, so everything is molpish.

I've yet to find too many reasons to post on OtherThreads, so this hat is staying put for a long time. Many more yips, I'd guess.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:35 pm UTC

I don't see why posting elsewhere necessitates cranial nudity
He/Him/His Image

mrob27

1190: Time: MAKE T1I, NOT SREEEITY

Postby mrob27 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:42 pm UTC

I've added a new AUTOMOME template called [whatif], which selects one of the many templates based on questions in Randall Munroe's What if? book. Here's a sampling: What if?
  While doing that I discovered some errors in a couple of the snowclone templates, and a few places where the frequency of names vs. other types of nouns seemed a bit out of balance.

svenman wrote:
mrob27 wrote:Yep! Decree fulfilled, a mere 17730 nopix later!
Does this set some kind of record? Am I famous now? :mrgreen:

You're already famous, no need for Q04B decree records, though I suppose every little bit helps :P
 But I'm really glad someone finally looked for that song. I thoroughly enjoyed writing those lyrics during one of my Japan trips. I still plan to add more boosts to Q04B and the lyrics would appear as part of that. You might have noticed there's code to animate the lyrics on-screen; and the code that makes Chirpy work is far more capable than would be needed for that boost alone.

mrob27 Image (and Image )
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”