1837: "Rental Car"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

niauropsaka

1837: "Rental Car"

Postby niauropsaka » Mon May 15, 2017 8:50 am UTC

Title text = Technically, both cars are haunted, but the murder ghosts can't stand listening to the broken GPS for more than a few minutes.

And this is how you get killed; choosing less discomfort and less safety.

rhomboidal

Re: 1837: "Rental Car"

Postby rhomboidal » Mon May 15, 2017 9:02 am UTC

But to be fair, the GPS was right about making the U-turn back to the car rental!

abridgerToNi

Postby abridgerToNi » Mon May 15, 2017 9:38 am UTC

Is it just me or is this the funniest xkcd in awhile? Just me? Well it's okay, I'll keep it all to myself.

StClair

Postby StClair » Mon May 15, 2017 10:43 am UTC

I expect at least some would reply, "Oh, I bet I can."

Probably not without breaking the terms of the rental agreement, though.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon May 15, 2017 11:19 am UTC

My first GPS I tried out from the office to my home. Unfortunately, I leave the office through a different gate than the one that corresponds with the street address of the building, so for twenty miles I got to listen to "make a U-turn" as it tried to make me go back and pick up the waypoint I'd "missed".

It also had a problem with freeway over- and underpasses, and kept telling me to turn left in the middle of a bridge.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon May 15, 2017 11:26 am UTC

abridgerToNi wrote:Is it just me or is this the funniest xkcd in awhile? Just me? Well it's okay, I'll keep it all to myself.

I'm with you on this one. But I'd rather drive Christine if I had the choice .

StClair wrote:I expect at least some would reply, "Oh, I bet I can."

I learned the workaround for ignoring the GPS a long time ago, from a fellow named Odysseus . You youngsters may recognize the same trick from Get Out
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Mon May 15, 2017 11:33 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:
StClair wrote:I expect at least some would reply, "Oh, I bet I can."

I learned the workaround for ignoring the GPS a long time ago, from a fellow named Odysseus . You youngsters may recognize the same trick from Get Out

You mean having your companions tie you the passenger seat, while they plug their ears with beeswax, and then one of them takes the wheel while you listen to the GPS' yammering?

hemflit

Postby hemflit » Mon May 15, 2017 12:11 pm UTC

"Popular choice, among people not going to Seattle."

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon May 15, 2017 12:28 pm UTC

hemflit wrote:"Popular choice, among people not going to Seattle."

The people who are going to Seattle think they've lucked out until they set out on the return journey. Then it's too late.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Draco18s

Postby Draco18s » Mon May 15, 2017 12:37 pm UTC

My mom has a friend who would probably be fine with the GPS car.
She owns three GPS devices and programs them all for different destinations so she can argue with them.

speedocowboy

Postby speedocowboy » Mon May 15, 2017 3:39 pm UTC

ALL cars are murder cars.

But it's *only* 1/10,000 in the USA per year.

And you don't have to be in the car.

toddgeorge

Postby toddgeorge » Mon May 15, 2017 4:29 pm UTC

Draco18s wrote:My mom has a friend who would probably be fine with the GPS car.
She owns three GPS devices and programs them all for different destinations so she can argue with them.

I do this on occasion too. Usually on long road trips where I know where I'm going but want to see the GPS' ETA and try to beat it.

'Turn left in 300 yards'
'No, lady! I don't want to go that way! My way is better!'

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon May 15, 2017 4:35 pm UTC

qvxb

Postby qvxb » Mon May 15, 2017 5:37 pm UTC

J & D Car Rentals
Near Sunset and Vine
Sting Rays and XKEs only
Note: GPS can't give directions from Dead Man's Curve.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Mon May 15, 2017 6:41 pm UTC

toddgeorge wrote:
Draco18s wrote:My mom has a friend who would probably be fine with the GPS car.

I do this on occasion too. Usually on long road trips where I know where I'm going but want to see the GPS' ETA and try to beat it.

'Turn left in 300 yards'
'No, lady! I don't want to go that way! My way is better!'

Sometimes I check the directions on my phone just to make sure the route I planned makes sense, say "nonsense" to the entirely different route the phone comes up with and go my way.
On a related note, I'm reminded of the time I drove back and forth between Linz and a town in the Czech republic several times on a narrow, winding mountain road. After the third time I decided not to turn on the GPS thinking I'd learned the way by then, promptly missed an important right turn and made my friends miss their train...
―◯‐◯ FG Discord◯‐◯―

Reka

Postby Reka » Mon May 15, 2017 8:00 pm UTC

My brother-in-law turns on the GPS even for trips he's made literally hundreds of times before, ostensibly because he wants to use the traffic-report feature of his TomTom. Problem one is, even if there is traffic, around here there really aren't good alternate routes - what you gain in not being stuck behind an accident, you lose in lowered speed limits, umpteen traffic lights (all synchronized Pennsylvania-style, i.e. they're timed to make sure you have to stop at all of them), and just sheer longer distance. Problem two is, the traffic-report feature of the TomTom sucks balls: if it knows about a traffic jam, it's 100% guaranteed to be completely over and cleared by the time you get there, and for the really bad traffic jams, it's 100% guaranteed to not know a thing about them. My sister and I once spent over 3 hours in Connecticut, not moving more than about a mile, because the TomTom had no inkling of the major road construction that had the whole road shut down (the utter insanity of the DOT that allows such a massive traffic jam is another question entirely). When we finally managed to exit the highway to try to find an alternate route, the TomTom kept trying to route us right back onto the highway that was at an utter standstill. We ended up having to bushwhack using our own intuition and meager knowledge of local geography - the TomTom was completely and infuriatingly worse than useless.

teelo

Postby teelo » Mon May 15, 2017 10:22 pm UTC

"Screw these choices, we'll take a bus"

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Tue May 16, 2017 3:17 am UTC

I take the bus 6 time a day. Not only do I deal with traffic jams, the bus has its own schedule, and has to stop at every stop. Not to mention the drivers who decide the best time to turn is when the bus is bearing down on their path. One bus had an accident when a driver got in the bus's blind spot. My advice, telecommute.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Tue May 16, 2017 4:19 am UTC

RogueCynic wrote:My advice, telecommute.

I'm still waiting for teleport. C'mon, science fiction, get on with it.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Tue May 16, 2017 5:38 am UTC

Things will never improve until we collapse all spacial dimensions to a point to allow everyone to be able to do everything without any movement at all.

The next step involves doing the same with time. Simultaneity for all!

svenman

Postby svenman » Tue May 16, 2017 9:45 am UTC

Mikeski wrote:I'm still waiting for teleport. C'mon, science fiction, get on with it.

Yeah, about that... if teleportation ever gets invented and practical to use, I'm sure it will suck in its own ways as well. I mean, even now that it is just a fantasy we can easily imagine myriad ways how teleportation can go wrong, never mind the huge amounts of energy (and thus, money) it is bound to require.
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Tue May 16, 2017 1:29 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:Things will never improve until we collapse all spacial dimensions to a point to allow everyone to be able to do everything without any movement at all.

The next step involves doing the same with time. Simultaneity for all!

Didn't we try that already? It caused quite a bang.

Fungo4

Postby Fungo4 » Tue May 16, 2017 8:49 pm UTC

"Most drivers don't get murdered. Maybe one in six."
Is this phrasing implying that one in six drivers doesn't get murdered?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue May 16, 2017 9:22 pm UTC

That would contradict "most", so probably not. Most don't; maybe only one in six do, the other five out of six are fine.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Wed May 17, 2017 12:30 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:That would contradict "most", so probably not. Most don't; maybe only one in six do, the other five out of six are fine.

It must be a Lada.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed May 17, 2017 11:07 am UTC

The theft vehicle should only be used to purchase a cd player for free. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7baQQEzIxGU
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed May 17, 2017 5:00 pm UTC

abridgerToNi wrote:Is it just me or is this the funniest xkcd in awhile? Just me? Well it's okay, I'll keep it all to myself.

I agree: properly funny.

Misbehaving satnavs are quite dangerous. I was once on the motorway near Edinburgh, and my satnav got it into its tiny silicon brain that the limit was 30mph. (There was some kind of bus lane running parallel and I think it thought I was on that. Locals probably know where I mean). The loud alarm noise it made every couple of seconds was really hard to ignore and perilously distracting.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Soupspoon

Postby Soupspoon » Wed May 17, 2017 5:20 pm UTC

Indeed. Any fule noes the speed limit on a motorway is 90....

*insert 'not actually serious' smiley here*

Reka

Postby Reka » Wed May 17, 2017 9:14 pm UTC

The main street through our town is typical Pennsylvania style,i.e. it changes names at least every mile or so, with corresponding speed limit changes. However, at no point is the limit higher than 45 mph, and for the section that goes through "downtown", the limit is a very-strictly-enforced 25 mph. The Tom-Tom thinks the speed limit is 55 mph.

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Thu May 18, 2017 3:40 pm UTC

One time, I tried to get around a traffic jam by going through a residential area. I ended up driving just about every street in that neighborhood, before it finally dawned on me that the map was completely wrong. The street grid was totally different, the street names were totally different.

When I checked my paper map of the area, it looked exactly the same as the one in my gps. Both clearly created from the same incorrect data, something coming out of an urban planning session decades ago and fed into whatever archive holds this data, and never updated when those plans got scrapped and completely redone.

(And this wasn't because of some recent change; the buildings in that neighborhood, an apartment complex, looked like they were at least 30 years old.)

Given the huge amounts of data that need to be collected, and kept up to date, I'm actually quite impressed that gps-based car navigation works as well as it does... But it also means that, while I appreciate it when my gps warns me that I'm speeding, I'm not going to rely on it to provide me that information. It's still necessary to look at the actual physical signs by the side of the road.

All of which makes me very skeptical of claims that self-driving cars are going to replace our current ones any time soon...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”