Shakespeare Mafia III - Curtain Call

For your simulated organized crime needs.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

LaserGuy

Re: Shakespeare Mafia III - Act II is going to need some adjustments

Postby LaserGuy » Tue May 23, 2017 8:24 pm UTC

plytho wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:
plytho wrote:-I don't recall that at all. I do seem to remember that town lost badly so perhaps it wasn't a good move :)

It wasn't a good move. Carlington was lynched that day. That doesn't mean that townies don't do this sort of thing now and then anyway.

That's a weird argument. Are you saying I should ignore things that look scummy because sometimes townies do those things (and get lynched for it, in your example)?

No, I'm trying to figure out why you think this is scummy in the first place.

SDK

Postby SDK » Tue May 23, 2017 8:50 pm UTC

mpolo wrote:I see three or four calls for extension, and certainly there were a lot of people away over the weekend. Is there consensus?

Yes please.

I've been working on a catchup post all day, but keep getting pulled away before finishing it off. I wanted to at least have that much posted today, but I have another meeting to go to now, so that might not happen.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Tue May 23, 2017 9:08 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:No, I'm trying to figure out why you think this is scummy in the first place.
Oh, I didn't get that.
Taking the claim at face value, a townie player claims (truthfully) they have a night power that's not a one-shot. This paints a huge target on their head. They're basically telling scum they are a threat to them. I think this scenario is very unlikely as it wouldn't benefit town.
The townie alternative is that Madge is deliberately painting a target on her head because either her one shot is used up or she is bulletproof or something like that.
I think Madge wanted to signal something to whoever blocked her. Possibly telling the other scum team to back off?

To get back to SDK and bessie:
So basically I'm having a hard time getting a read on SDK, possibly because of his very competent play last game. I'm reading him as townie but I don't trust my read on him. His claim about bessie makes me think he has a wincon related to her. That's why I think he's indie. The reason I'm thinking townie side of indie is because I feel two scum teams is quite a challenge for town on its own, there's no need for scum sided indies.
My indie read on SDK is stronger than the one on bessie. In bessie's case I was starting to doubt my townie read on her after your built your case. I didn't think your case was strong enough to think her scum. Not town, nor scum lead me to indie.
Pronouns: he him his
Avatar: The High Frontier by Angus McKie

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Tue May 23, 2017 9:15 pm UTC

I apologize that I haven't been posting very often, I always forget how time consuming mafia is, and in my current job I don't have access to a computer while I'm at work. Plus it's hard to remember my lines when I keep tripping over the props backstage. Nothing is certain but death and taxes.

Could someone explain the case against bessie? I noticed that several people have her as a scummy read, but I'm still convinced that she's town.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue May 23, 2017 9:33 pm UTC

Gopher of Pern wrote:
BoomFrog wrote:
Gopher of Pern wrote:Does anyone think it likely there is scum between Sabrar(Znirk) and Laserguy?

Gopher of Pern wrote:...and I'm feeling ok about laserguy.

Wait what? Why did you ask the first question if you don't actually think LaserGuy is scum?

Umm...because other people might?

The theory is that scum would off people who were onto them. Both jimbob and Sabrar died, and both jimbob and Sabrar had Laserguy and Znirk as possible scum. Ergo, a high chance that one or both of them are scum, if scum killed off people that were onto scum. I'm asking if the theory has any merit, rather than particular reads on both of them.

Just going from my own thoughts, I don't think Laserguy is scum, and I'm unsure of Sabrar(Znirk). But others may have different opinions.

Why did you find that hard to parse?
I don't understand why you would ask if you didn't have some suspicion of the answer being "yes". It seems like a waste of time, but after your explanation I see it more as an out-loud musing.

plytho wrote:While I understand that swagvoting YOLO makes some kind of sense, I'd like to hear why you think he's scum now.

Do you have any other scumreads? You didn't here:

Do you think New Sabrar is townie now? Did he move up in your list? I'm asking because beside 'swag' all you have in that post is Sabrar's argument.

You've pierced my hypocrisy bubble with your politeness:

I still think YOLO isn't guild mafia because of how hard he hit DethStalker, but I agree with Sabrar that he's clearly not paying much attention to the thread. In the previous game he was equally flippant until D3 when he suddenly actually cared about the lynch and became far more active. So I think, right now, he doesn't care who gets lynched. Also, just as a note, I do believe YOLO and SDK are not teammates. YOLO's "I wish" was quite convincing.

I have some other scum suspicions but I'm waiting for SDK's catch-up post before I voice them.

I don't think Sabrar and YOLO are teammates but otherwise my opinion of new Sabrar hasn't changed since my summery post.

@LaserGuy: You know there is zero chance Bessie will be lynched today, right? Why not vote for SDK instead of her? For Bessie to be scum and SDK to be town would require SDK to be foolish or reckless. We know he's not foolish and he's generally not reckless.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Tue May 23, 2017 10:26 pm UTC

YOLO mode activated.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Tue May 23, 2017 10:27 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:
plytho wrote:While I understand that swagvoting YOLO makes some kind of sense, I'd like to hear why you think he's scum now.

Do you have any other scumreads? You didn't here:

Do you think New Sabrar is townie now? Did he move up in your list? I'm asking because beside 'swag' all you have in that post is Sabrar's argument.

You've pierced my hypocrisy bubble with your politeness:

I still think YOLO isn't guild mafia because of how hard he hit DethStalker, but I agree with Sabrar that he's clearly not paying much attention to the thread. In the previous game he was equally flippant until D3 when he suddenly actually cared about the lynch and became far more active. So I think, right now, he doesn't care who gets lynched. Also, just as a note, I do believe YOLO and SDK are not teammates. YOLO's "I wish" was quite convincing.

I have some other scum suspicions but I'm waiting for SDK's catch-up post before I voice them.

I don't think Sabrar and YOLO are teammates but otherwise my opinion of new Sabrar hasn't changed since my summery post.

@LaserGuy: You know there is zero chance Bessie will be lynched today, right? Why not vote for SDK instead of her? For Bessie to be scum and SDK to be town would require SDK to be foolish or reckless. We know he's not foolish and he's generally not reckless.

I disagree. If YOLO is mafia, I can't see him being supernatural, as he would have known about the two different scum teams at the start of the day, and wouldn't make the gaffe that they did. I think they may be just a disinterested townie, with the slight possibility of being scum buddies with dethstalker. YOLO strikes me as the kind of person who would totally bus the hell out of an unhelpful teammate.

@SirGabriel, it's mostly myself and laserguy finding bessie scummy. I think she was being too focused on her being thought of as town, and being defensive when called on it.

I would also be ok with an extension.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Tue May 23, 2017 10:35 pm UTC

DGames | Bard wrote:Ok, I haveth arrived from work over yonder! Mreow! :3

So right now, I think Gopher is definitely the most suspicious; from what I can remember, he tried to alleviate pressure off of Dethstalker (calling him noob town) when I don't think that read was very justified. Of course, Dethstalker flipped scum, so the quick and easy explanation was that Gopher was trying to potentially save his partner.

It's either that, or he was misguided, so I will have to do another quick reread to see where he lies on the spectrum. I can't help but feel he is contributing fluff with his most recent posts though (he addresses a topic he finds interesting, but it's kind of null since the focus doesn't seem to be scum hunting). I'm leaning scum still, but I'll remain open-minded.

@Gopher, what's your general feel regarding the roster at this point? Who are the villainous scoundrels of our play, and whom are the saviors of grace? (I'm pretty much reiterating Bessie's question, so answering either of us would work for me.)

I'll be checking out other avenues well to see if I can draw a better picture of what's going on.

SDK wrote:That reminds me, it's a long weekend here in Canada and I'm going backcountry camping. I may post again tonight, but otherwise...

V/LA until Tuesday, May 23.

That sounds fun, now I want smores...
DGames | Bard wrote:
#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:Actually, Bard can go on the lynch list.

Hrrmmm, just curious, but what is your opinion on me turning Town away from Laserguy when his lynch was looking plausible? At the least, his lynch looked plausible to me at that juncture. Do you think it is possible that I am Dethstalker's partner? Or do you think it's possible that I am of the supernatural variant?
Disgusting.

FOS Bard

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Tue May 23, 2017 10:38 pm UTC

SirGabriel wrote:I apologize that I haven't been posting very often, I always forget how time consuming mafia is, and in my current job I don't have access to a computer while I'm at work. Plus it's hard to remember my lines when I keep tripping over the props backstage. Nothing is certain but death and taxes.

Could someone explain the case against bessie? I noticed that several people have her as a scummy read, but I'm still convinced that she's town.

I would summarize my case essentially as the following:

She is spending a surprising amount of time focused on subjects that are not really advancing the interests of town. This includes an extended discussion of her own meta, numerous tangents of irrelevant personal information, wine-soaked night kill analysis, to name a few. Her post content is much higher than normal, but the quality of posting is considerably less than usual. Notably, the amount of actual scumhunting and player analysis that she's doing is fairly minimal. Essentially, I feel she's active lurking, which is extremely uncharacteristic.

Her posts to and about DethStalker read very much like a frustrated teammate trying to help a useless, intractable team member. She spends more time talking to and about him than just about anyone else. A quick summary of her interactions with him:
-Welcome post, notes his postcount is still 1 and instructs him how to remove posting restrictions. DethStalker hadn't put in a confirmation post yet, so bessie had to go to a different thread to check his postcount to get this information. This is apparently a higher-priority task than commenting on SDK "outing" her as town.
-Expresses further concerns that he isn't set up properly in the forums, DethStalker a liability.
-Confused by his opening posts. "[D]one with you."
-A few hours later prods him to reply to jimbob.
-Tells him not to roleplay and to answer questions
-DethStalker newbie scum. Fine with lynching him.
-Final parting words to him. Missed this one earlier. MacBeth gives this speech in response to hearing about the suicide of his wife and co-conspirator. Another interesting choice.

BoomFrog wrote:@LaserGuy: You know there is zero chance Bessie will be lynched today, right? Why not vote for SDK instead of her? For Bessie to be scum and SDK to be town would require SDK to be foolish or reckless. We know he's not foolish and he's generally not reckless.

I am using my vote at this point to punctuate my belief that bessie is scum. I would certainly be willing to lynch SDK as her likely scummate, however. I will revisit this in due course.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Tue May 23, 2017 10:39 pm UTC

Sabrar wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:I'm not sure what to make of this and the preceding discussion by YOLOSWAG. He was the first person to propose two scumteams as an option, and several people immediately before and after his discussion about which wagons to look at likewise mention this possibility, so it is hard to believe that this shouldn't have been a consideration.
QFT.

@YOLOSWAG: you spent an awful lot of time on D1 talking about how DethStalker should be the lynch. What else did you do to help Town? Please explain in simple terms.
I barely remember what I did D1. I don't remember much besides reinforcing SDK's claim, wanting to lynch DethStalker, and suggesting we wagon nulls/lurkers today. The latter two actions are imperative to town winning, so I don't get your beef unless it's just "YOLO's not explaining" which might as well be "YOLO's being YOLO".

Or, you're just scum going for low hanging fruit. I'm reading D2 so we'll see.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Tue May 23, 2017 10:52 pm UTC

bessie wrote:
Gopher of Pern wrote:
bessie wrote:
Gopher of Pern wrote:Bessie, I feel you are being very nitpicky about your townieness.
Nope, not my post restriction. Read this post and try again.

Um...I wasn't going for your post restriction? I was commenting on the fact you seem to be picking on very minor details, to the detriment of the game. The fact that you don't have it as a post restriction makes me think less of you.

Because I’m going on about being labeled townie? To someone I’m confirmed town. If that person is also town, he won’t let me be lynched. But I question others' motives. And as to SDK’s claim, I didn’t ask him to claim. He claimed on page one, in his first game post, before I even got home. I was already being labeled town by some prior to making my first almost contentless game post on page two and my second rather sparse game post on page three.

FoS anyone who accepted SDK’s claim without question when I myself had posted no content. You’re following the pack.

FoS anyone who was still willing to use SDK’s claim at least in part to continue to label me townie, while voicing suspicions of SDK alignment. Your reads are inconsistent.

FoS anyone who has been content to rubber stamp me townie based on meta and has not even analyzed my content for scumtells. This is a safe, noncontroversial read and a lazy excuse not to scumhunt.

Interesting how you think that my calling people out for this is detrimental to the game. But at least you aren’t auto slapping the town label on me.
Aw, bessie. I liked you too.

However, this post is quite foul. SDK, are you SURE bessie is town?

FOS bessie

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Re: Shakespeare Mafia III - Act I opens

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Tue May 23, 2017 10:58 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:Town
-secret club members-
dimochka
Madge
freezeblade
Why Madge and freezeblade Town?
Sabrar wrote:
BoomFrog wrote:YOLOSWAG - Not mundane mafia, he hit dethstalker too hard for that.
1. You're wrong about this one, it is entirely in his repertoire of making such a play. Don't discard this possibility.

bessie wrote:
Gopher of Pern wrote:Aren't you being a tad defensive?
Over what? Being labeled town?

Sabrar wrote:I’ve been thinking about it and I would like to see an updated reads list from you.

2. 95% Town: dimochka, freezeblade/kalira, LaserGuy, Madge
80% Town: Bard, BoomFrog
65% Town: bessie, Gopher of Pern, plytho
50% Town: SirGabriel
40% Town: SDK
20% Town: YOLOSWAG
1. Have we played before?

2. Why Madge and freezeblade Town?

dimochka
Location: A few different places->NYC->LA->NYC. He/Him/His please.

Postby dimochka » Tue May 23, 2017 11:18 pm UTC

bessie wrote:Vote: dimochka

Unvote: dimochka

That's not sufficient, to be frank. My goal is to be top of mind at all times, not just for a brief moment. The last 24 hours are less important, but prior to that someone should be watching me carefully.

mpolo wrote:
dimochka wrote:Quick edit post: I just realized that when I last said Sabrar I meant znirk, so really I'm working on detailed reads on both.

Sabrar D2 is Znirk D1, in case you missed that.

Yes, thanks. I got confused halfway through as to why Sabrar is still talking when he was dead. Everything I said about him D1 still stands, but any inferences to D2 may need a review.

Ok let's see now. Jimbob re-read (now that we know that he's town):
Spoiler:
Post 1: mentions presence of supernatural scum (and downplays regular - now we know why). Votes dethstalker.
P2: Examines voting mechanics that may exist. Guessing SDK might be a lyncher (a feeling I mentioned to share). Also questions the presence of two scum factions (I think we all agree that it's extremely likely given the circumstances); believes if two exist they're not mirror images (once again, I agree). Questions laserguy's comment on voting which had no actual opinion (agree, looks off), and boomfrog's playstyle (don't have an issue with it).
P3: (side note: some unrelated parts of jimbob's post can be connected to form my post restriction); Sees laserguy as rolefishing (tbh I don't, not here at least), further explains the argument of why SDK could be claiming. Also feels boomfrog isn't contributing. I'm seeing a bit of tunneling, though obviously don't think it's intentional.
P4: Pushes back re:sabrar's suggestion to lynch DS on D2 for that extra vote. I agree in general because roles are allocated randomly, but I definitely see the point sabrar was making - if DS was town, he would have caused an automatic loss in LYLO.
P5: more arguing with sabrar. Kind of irrelevant since we know both were town.
P6: reads list. only mentioning the ones not considered town or surprising to me - bard (no original content, active-lurking), dethstalker (a given), me (due to lurking), freezeblade (lurking), gopher (not lurking, but little content / scumhunting), yolo (little content, but no scummy vibe), laserguy (same reasoning as before), madge (no content), sabrar (same reasoning as before), znirk (weird re: laserguy directing team, +madge/bessie mixup).
P7: more sabrar vs. jimbob arguing re:DS (ignoring going fwd since we know alignments of all 3). Good points regarding roles that would make SDK town; I did not realize this earlier.
P8: more sabrar vs. jimbob re: DS
P9: more sabrar vs. jimbob re: DS (finally, a semi-resolution!)
P10: asks laserguy about his vote on bessie, finds SirG's and BF's lists unhelpful (no explanation), doesn't see bessie's point regarding him defending DS (irrelevant), likes plytho post minus lack of comment on bessie. finds SDK's latest post less reassuring.
P11: Agrees with sabrar re: Laserguy's voting restriction not being a big deal as long as we avoid L-1
P12: New reads list. major changes included bessie a bit less town, me a bit more townie, gop scummy but a bit better, yolo slightly more townie, laserguy "downgraded" to indie. Madge feels townie, plytho likely town, sabrar scummy but improving, sdk still town, sirg slightly townie and requires reread
P13: more sabrar vs. jimbob, dont think it's relevant
P14: ask re:Bard about breadcrumbs for Laserguy's defense
P15: shifts more towards sabrar being town and not analyzing bard+laserguy. votes DS
P16: response to sabrar re: reads list, irrelevant imo

The things that stand out from scum reads are: bard active lurking other than defense of laserguy, znirk scummy for no content (now not as relevant), gopher scummy, laserguy indie.

2. znirk (unspoilered because so little content)
Post 1 (and only 1): reads post. I'm townie for some reason (I may have an idea why but who knows if it's the same one). SDK might be in scum team with bessie, if i'm reading correctly. Laserguy instructing scum team on what to do. Gopher townie. I think that's it?
@sabrar - do you know why he has me as townie?

3. Bard - questions the bessie/sdk confirmation. pages 1-4 basically nothing helpful. page 5 finally some analysis, but mostly agreeing with reads. vote on gopher feels like a safe bet given he's the only person analyzed. remainder of d1 content is about laserguy. semi protects sdk (says could be similar reasoning but could be completely different). Right now feels to me like some kind of indie. Still finds GoP scummy due to his thoughts on D1 re: DS.
@Bard - does your PM implicitly/explicitly mention GoP's role?

More soon. Right now based on what I see, I'm finding Bard more scummy than before. Next I'll review GoP, Znirk.Sabrar, and Plytho. And then Madge.
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Tue May 23, 2017 11:34 pm UTC

1. Vote Sabrar
FOS Bard
FOS bessie
FOS Madge
FOS kalira

Yes, that's a lot of foses, but we have a lot of scum in this game and some crazy things are being said.

Sabrar for wanting to lynch townies and generally poor direction, in a scummy way imo. I don't get why he wants to lynch the one guy (or maybe one of two? I read someone say plytho wanted to lynch DethStalker too. If so, good job.) who wanted to lynch scum D1. SDK also strikes me as a bad play. I've read his reasons for wanting to off me and they're all null tells. I also found his slapping a bunch of nulls at the top of his town list bizarre.

Someone please kill Sabrar for me if he manages to push this lynch through. I doubt he will, and I'll claim if I have to, but I'd rather not. I'm getting the sense that he's getting a lot of cred this day phase and I have no idea why, so I'd like my flip to condemn him if possible.

Bard and bessie for their obviously scummy posts I quoted, though Bard in particular has been acting like scum for a while now that I think about it.

Madge and kalira are my lurker scum picks and look worse than everyone else. I just feel there is at least one scum between them. Actually kalira you're not a lurker so don't take offense, I just mentally have your slot as a lurker due to your predecessor.

Here's who you don't lynch: GoP, LaserGuy, BoomFrog, dimochka, SDK, plytho, SirG in order of innocence in my opinion.

I'm going to use the following jimbob/Sabrar reads lists to remind you that, no, the Znirk/Sabrar slot is not townie.

Spoiler:
From Wednesday, May 17:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Town
plytho
bessie
SDK
SirGabriel
BoomFrog
dimochka
Madge (lurker)
Yoloswag
Gopher of Pern
freezeblade (lurker)
DethStalker (lurker)
DGames | Bard
Sabrar
LaserGuy
Znirk
Scum

From Monday, May 15:
Sabrar wrote: TOWN
bessie
freezeblade
Madge
dimochka
plytho
BoomFrog
Gopher of Pern
Bard - neutral line is here
SirGabriel
YOLOSWAG
Znirk
LaserGuy
jimbobmacdoodle
SCUM

2. dimochka has been cracking me up with his performance. Very entertaining. Five stars and a standing ovation.

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed May 24, 2017 1:14 am UTC

Vote dimochka

Well I'm not sure if this will work then because deadline is in 14ish hours unless we get an extension, and I intend to move this vote.

Back later.

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Wed May 24, 2017 1:47 am UTC

unvote

If the deadline is in less than 24 hours, you can remove it. I was going off the assumption that we got an extension.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed May 24, 2017 3:15 am UTC

Vote SDK

Given choice I'd prefer bessie, but I'm fine with this. We'll see what SDK has to say for himself.

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed May 24, 2017 3:20 am UTC

dimochka, I’ll leave that vote there for a little while to make sure, and unvote tomorrow morning. If we get an extension, I’ll unvote tomorrow morning anyway, but I’ll wait until 24 hrs before deadline.

Let’s see, where to start? Anyone talk about me me me today? :)

LaserGuy wrote:
bessie wrote:
kalira wrote:LaserGuy, can you explain why you would unvote here? It seemed curious, to use your own turn of phrase. (I don’t particularly care about the mechanics of your vote in this instance; I’m interested in why you would call out a mistake/slip on Znirk’s part and then unvote him, especially when he just voted for you.)

I would like LaserGuy to answer this too.

I was voting SDK at the time, IIRC. Znirk voted for me, which automatically moved my vote from SDK to Znirk. I didn't really want to vote Znirk, so I unvoted him when I had the opportunity.
Why “Unvote Znirk” at all? Why not just “unvote”? Or vote for someone else? Were you trying to communicate your voting power to someone?

LaserGuy wrote: In that quoted post from Hamlet, what did you mean when you were saying that you couldn't play against your wincon? Why did you choose the soliloquy where Hamlet was contemplating suicide?
Role playing fun which fulfills my post restriction (quite well in this case). But don’t worry, I’m over it. Happy?

LaserGuy wrote: And? Why does Town!bessie care about whether or not you're at the top of everyone's list? How does this entire tangent help town? If people are correctly reading you as town, that's a good thing, and not something you should be worried about.
I think you have that backwards. Scum!Bessie would be very happy to sit back and let everyone rubber stamp her townie and put her at the top of their town lists based on meta and an unquestioned claim. Town!Bessie should be quite suspicious of some people's motivations.

LaserGuy wrote: Given that you were reading him as your scummiest read, and were worried enough about scum manipulating the lynch that you moved my vote off of BoomFrog, why didn't you vote?
Reasons. And since you will label them wine anyway, I’ll save you the time and skip this one.

LaserGuy wrote:
bessie wrote:Um, do you really think that the reason I want to see SDK’s response to the last three pages of posts that he’s been away for, is that I want him to rescue me?

Why was your preference to wait until he returned before replying to me then?
I’m going to be generous and chalk this question up to overeager newbie town, and I’ll explain because why not. SDK in his opening post claimed this:
SDK wrote:Are you asking this because bessie is town? Because she is. Good to know that someone else got that confirmation in their role PM too.
He could have later claimed that this was one of his antics, but he didn’t. He doubled down.
SDK wrote:The proof of bessie's innocence lies in my role PM, though I will give no further details on that for the moment.

Now, his motivations have been analyzed to death, including by me here . What it boils down to is that this was a pretty unambiguous statement, he didn’t leave himself a lot of freedom to change it later. If SDK is town, he needs to stand by this claim. He can’t let me be lynched, and he has really painted himself into a corner if he is scum.

Maybe he realized this, because he tested the waters a little here.
SDK wrote:I will say this, if it puts your mind at ease: My role PM does not explicitly state that bessie is town. My role interacts with bessie in a way that points to her being town as very likely.

If SDK is scum, D1 is no problem for him, bessie is predictably the towniest person in the game, as carefully calculated by Sabrar here . But D2 bessie’s towniness is called into question, and her ranking begins to slip (if you’re interested I’m sure Sabrar can work out my new score). I’m quite curious as to what SDK will say to this. As shown, he can’t really back off. He needs to stick by his claim or he risks looking scummy. Because of Game specific Rule #12.
There are no alignment-changing mechanisms

I really wanted SDK to post, and I didn’t want to explain this to you, but it probably doesn’t matter anyway. Scum!SDK is not going to make a stupid obvious mistake.

Oh, by the way, I beileve you have some pending questions too.
bessie wrote: You refer to post #7 as my first attempt at actual scumhunting (interestingly you were one of the scum I hunted), but also refer to my analysis of SDK in post #4. Why do you not consider this scum hunting? Do you believe that to qualify as scum hunting one must reach the conclusion of scum on the player analyzed?

Ninja'd back soon.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed May 24, 2017 4:45 am UTC

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:1. Have we played before?

1. Smalltown PYP, you were scum and used a vig-shot to kill your own team-mate in order to gain townie-credit.

2. Explained previously, you should read back.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed May 24, 2017 5:22 am UTC

mpolo wrote:I see three or four calls for extension, and certainly there were a lot of people away over the weekend. Is there consensus?

With SDK being Central to a lot of discussion but absent the majority of the game day I think a 24 hours to 48 Hours extension would be good for the game.

Also with less than 24 hours to go, I realize Sir Gabriel has done absolutely nothing.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed May 24, 2017 5:36 am UTC

So keeping on top of the thread didn't happen. Internet went down at work yesterday and now I'm coming down with something so we'll see. More phone posts! This one is too short sorry guys

I'm up for an extension so I can make people feel like they're getting something useful from me :-\

I support a yoloswag or sirg lynch and will keep cults out of my mind, thanks folks

Not sure why bf is linking to me I have nothing on him.

@plytho wanted to defend bessie mostly to demonstrate I'm paying attention and my stuff isn't all copied like I've been accused of even if it's low hanging fruit

@bessie I am glad that you are always thinking about me. Are you saying that your traffic lights turn off altogether at late night? Or is this a ramp metering thing? Like our traffic lights are ALWAYS on, and if there's an error they flash orange, and if the powers out they are turned off (unless they have a ups in which case business as usual} and people just act courtesy and take turns going. The thought of a set of traffic lights only being active at certain times is terrifying. We do have one thing like that here, there's a roundabout that has a red light turn on during congested periods to stop it clogging, but that's very much the exception. I assume you are talking about ramp metering lights from the way your posts layed out and I've not heard of that being an issue but I might ask someone from the road safety branch as I had the same concern with the yellow box junction markings I'm working on now.

@plyrho what's glosa I don't know every traffic thing that's ever existed as much as I'd like to
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Wed May 24, 2017 5:38 am UTC

bessie wrote:
LaserGuy wrote: In that quoted post from Hamlet, what did you mean when you were saying that you couldn't play against your wincon? Why did you choose the soliloquy where Hamlet was contemplating suicide?

Role playing fun which fulfills my post restriction (quite well in this case). But don’t worry, I’m over it. Happy?

Ooooooooh.... I hit the mark here, didn't I? No, I really think you should answer the question. Actually... you've been dropping these quotations all game. Shall we revisit them all? How about this one that I mentioned above?

bessie wrote:I’ve been saving this because it is my favorite soliloquy and one of the greatest ever written. But I think DethStalker's earned this special performance.

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time,
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Back with some reads later. I'm too annoyed to do it right now.

MacBeth gives this speech in response to hearing about the suicide of his wife and co-conspirator. I think she went mad and jumped out off a balcony. Why was this what came to mind upon DethStalker's demise?

If your post restriction is what I think it is, you've been dealt a very rough hand this game. I'm sorry about that.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Wed May 24, 2017 5:39 am UTC

Sabrar wrote:
#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:1. Have we played before?

1. Smalltown PYP, you were scum and used a vig-shot to kill your own team-mate in order to gain townie-credit.

2. Explained previously, you should read back.
1. Wait, I played in that game and actually vig shot my teammate?

LOL! Score one for me, that's damn hilarious.

Have only skimmed posts, might get to this later tonight if not tomorrow.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG

Postby #HBC | YOLOSWAG » Wed May 24, 2017 5:41 am UTC

Oh, nevermind. Pretty much nothing has happened.

Damn I was all excited about my last post too.

I agree with an extension.

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Wed May 24, 2017 6:40 am UTC

Extension granted for 24 hours. If a role had any sort of codicil regarding the last 24 hours of the day, you may assume that we are already in said last 24 hours.
Image <-- Evil experiment

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed May 24, 2017 6:53 am UTC

dimochka wrote:@sabrar - do you know why he has me as townie?
Would have said that it's because of the same reason that I do but his content elsewhere in that post does not support this. No idea.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed May 24, 2017 7:13 am UTC

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:1. Wait, I played in that game and actually vig shot my teammate?

LOL! Score one for me, that's damn hilarious.
If you want to take a trip down memory lane.

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:I barely remember what I did D1.
Thank you for reinforcing my point. Would you be more at home in a game with 30 players and 5000 posts on Day 1?

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:and suggesting we wagon nulls/lurkers today.
Do you mean just putting pressure on them to see what happens or actually lynching one of them because they are null/lurking?

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed May 24, 2017 7:18 am UTC

EBWOP
#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:I'm going to use the following jimbob/Sabrar reads lists to remind you that, no, the Znirk/Sabrar slot is not townie.
LOL at this. Znirk was a complete lurker who gave no reasons for his reads and mixed up Madge with bessie (had it correct in spoiler). Of course the slot is not townie and everybody already acknowledged that.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed May 24, 2017 7:22 am UTC

Unanswered questions so that late-comers won't skip it:

@SDK
@kalira

plytho

Postby plytho » Wed May 24, 2017 10:02 am UTC

LaserGuy wrote:Her posts to and about DethStalker read very much like a frustrated teammate trying to help a useless, intractable team member. She spends more time talking to and about him than just about anyone else. A quick summary of her interactions with him:
-Welcome post, notes his postcount is still 1 and instructs him how to remove posting restrictions. DethStalker hadn't put in a confirmation post yet, so bessie had to go to a different thread to check his postcount to get this information. This is apparently a higher-priority task than commenting on SDK "outing" her as town.

This is false, the post you link to is on page 3, while DethStalker shows up here on page 2.

Madge wrote:I support a yoloswag or sirg lynch and will keep cults out of my mind, thanks folks
Why do you think they're scummy?

Madge wrote:@plyrho what's glosa I don't know every traffic thing that's ever existed as much as I'd like to

It’s “green light optimized speed advice” basically telling drivers what speed they should drive to hit green at the next intersection.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed May 24, 2017 10:51 am UTC

That's clever. Is that compatible with scats? It doesn't seem like it necessarily would be as it would be tricky to make adaptive. But maybe it is?

Sirg is scummy from d1, Yolo just weird me out somehow

Also I've been getting sicker all day so I am just going to try my best to be active ish
I'm writing a supernatural romance novel, it updates the first weekend of every month. You can find it here.

plytho

Postby plytho » Wed May 24, 2017 11:25 am UTC

Spoilered for traffic talk.
Spoiler:
Madge wrote:That's clever. Is that compatible with scats? It doesn't seem like it necessarily would be as it would be tricky to make adaptive. But maybe it is?

*learns about scats* Yeah, that's one of the challenges. It's pretty straightforward for an isolated intersection with fixed phasing, a bit harder for one with dynamic phasing and very hard for coordinated systems. I guess it's one of the things we hope to learn from this project.

Madge wrote:Sirg is scummy from d1, Yolo just weird me out somehow
YOLO's swagvotes seem more motivated than this.

Madge wrote:Also I've been getting sicker all day so I am just going to try my best to be active ish
I hope you get well soon.

Madge

Postby Madge » Wed May 24, 2017 12:14 pm UTC

Spoilered for traffic talk.
Spoiler:
Madge wrote:That's clever. Is that compatible with scats? It doesn't seem like it necessarily would be as it would be tricky to make adaptive. But maybe it is?

plytho wrote:*learns about scats* Yeah, that's one of the challenges. It's pretty straightforward for an isolated intersection with fixed phasing, a bit harder for one with dynamic phasing and very hard for coordinated systems. I guess it's one of the things we hope to learn from this project.

So are you in the traffic biz????????? It's definitely a cool idea. During peak we have a few intersections that are all linked together, so it's the sort of thing you might try with them - but during peak you're probably not all going at full speed anyway and the phasing is still adaptive so yeah... And during, like, night-time when it's full-on off-peak, we have the primary phase on solid green so the speed you travel is irrelevant.

Good for systems where it works no doubt.

I'm feeling better but whenever I'm sick I feel better after eating. We'll see how I feel tomorrow. I actually have some stomach pain so I'm hoping I don't have a redo of that time in 2014 when I ended up hospitalised during a mafia game I was already lurking in, and instead I just have indigestion or something.

OK. I'm going to try and contribute on this post since I'm feeling OK due to the whole eating thing. Going to sort posts by author and jump in a random spot and just tunnel on someone because it's better than the altarnative which is to leave this post entirely abolut my illness and shop talk.

I'm not planning on voting today so this is mostly so I can be helpful(???? you be the judge) / generate random content.

God I have a headache.

Looks like I'm tunnelling on... dimochka!

In case nobody was acutely aware of this already dim seems to need to vote for himself.

Aware of the supernatural/nonsupernatural split early on.

Likes Sabrar, doesn't like Yolosowag

Dim makes a very strange prediction:

I'm going to make a prediction that we have a 3-man regular scum team, and some possibly some kind of supernatural 2man team that may or may not be able to kill or communicate or something else.

Soem kind of supernatural team that may or may not be able to communicate - I feel a bit suspicious of that, inside knowledge maybe (never would hafe suspected communication as a way to differentiate a 3 and 2 scum team). But probably nothing. we all make predictions.

Very set on the two team thing. but it seems pretty obvious in hindsight. Was "two scum teams" a consensus early on? I don't know.

Deos not find SDK outing bessie as town as a townie thing. I personally kind of suspect that SDK is doing this all as some weird-ass town gambit where he didn't know bessies towniness and wanted to seee if she was town from her reaction, and she reacted i na townie way, his reads are generally good and he tends to trust them so this seems like the sort of gambit SDK would do. I really hope to all hell it's NOT though because it would SUCK but you never know with SDK do you.

OK I've done like half of dim's first day content which is PROBABLy useless but I'm feeling pretty crummy now and want to go lie down so I hope it's some semblence of useful - probably not, i should have started on D2, sorry all. Thanks for puttinmg up with me <3 i am glad you all don't tell me to shove off even when i'm such a screwup

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Wed May 24, 2017 12:19 pm UTC

Madge wrote:Was "two scum teams" a consensus early on? I don't know.

Several people thought early on that two scum teams was likely, but I don't think there was a real consensus until Sabrar and jimbob's flips on D2.

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Wed May 24, 2017 1:35 pm UTC

mpolo, can we get the official votals please?

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Wed May 24, 2017 2:29 pm UTC

Votals:

Gopher of Pern (1): SirGabriel
dimochka (1): bessie
Sabrar (1): #HBC | YOLOSWAG
SDK (1): LaserGuy
#HBC | YOLOSWAG (2): Sabrar, BoomFrog
BoomFrog (2): SDK, Gopher of Pern

Five people not voting. 13 players, 7 for hammer. Dealine is 25½ hours from now, give or take.
Image <-- Evil experiment

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed May 24, 2017 4:13 pm UTC

SDK wrote:

Yes please.

I've been working on a catchup post all day, but keep getting pulled away before finishing it off. I wanted to at least have that much posted today, but I have another meeting to go to now, so that might not happen.

Can you post what you partially have? It's less than 24 hours to deadline after already extending. At this point it feels like you are avoiding posting for fear of making a mistake. Why not post bits and pieces as you think of them?

bessie

Postby bessie » Wed May 24, 2017 4:16 pm UTC

unvote

LaserGuy’s case on me:
LaserGuy wrote: I would summarize my case essentially as the following:

She is spending a surprising amount of time focused on subjects that are not really advancing the interests of town. This includes an extended discussion of her own meta, numerous tangents of irrelevant personal information, wine-soaked night kill analysis, to name a few. Her post content is much higher than normal, but the quality of posting is considerably less than usual. Notably, the amount of actual scumhunting and player analysis that she's doing is fairly minimal. Essentially, I feel she's active lurking, which is extremely uncharacteristic.

You accuse me of spending a surprising amount of time focused on subjects that are not really advancing the interests of town, and then you post the following?
LaserGuy wrote:Her posts to and about DethStalker read very much like a frustrated teammate trying to help a useless, intractable team member. She spends more time talking to and about him than just about anyone else. A quick summary of her interactions with him:
-Expresses further concerns that he isn't set up properly in the forums, DethStalker a liability.
-Confused by his opening posts. "[D]one with you."
-A few hours later prods him to reply to jimbob.
-Tells him not to roleplay and to answer questions
-DethStalker newbie scum. Fine with lynching him.
-Final parting words to him. Missed this one earlier. MacBeth gives this speech in response to hearing about the suicide of his wife and co-conspirator. Another interesting choice.

Note: plytho is correct here. I don’t want to get in to this too much but I really think I need to say something because you are the one focusing on subjects that are not really advancing the interests of town at this point. Trying to help out newbies is entirely within my meta, and if I am alive N2 I will dig up links to old games and to the Gojoe thread to illustrate this point and post them on D3. If I have several extra hours I can probably dig up stuff in the discussion thread where we as a group talk about how we can draw new players. And I felt somewhat responsible this one, not because we were on a scum team together, but because I’m the one who asked mpolo in the Gojoe thread if this game was going to be newbie friendly, and because of my request he added newbie friendly to the sign up sheet. IIRC, I did the same thing after WoT2 with Diablo, posted in Gojoe inviting newbies to join us. And we got two spectacular new players in that game (and a third player that put us in a situation similar to what DethStalker did). I meant this to be quick but already spent too much time on this so whatever, done, OK you think I’m scummy for it. And I see what you did here:

Nice. Just like this one:
LaserGuy wrote: Of course. Your skills are peerless. I am afraid I have never had the opportunity to see you perform as a villain, so I am most looking forward to your performance in such a dastardly role.

Interesting how you signaled your intentions so early D2. Especially since the posts that supposedly pinged you as to my scumminess were not made until after you made the post above, as you claimed here.
LaserGuy wrote: Your last two or three posts pinged me so much I decided that I absolutely must start my reread with you and then, well things sort of spiraled out of control.

One more comment about the time wasting I am allegedly doing. This is role playing/post restriction. I told you I’m over it. Or are you trying to distract me into a discussion of Macbeth so I waste my time not scum hunting? Ok, Macbeth Act V Scene 5 for those that wish to follow along. What does the imagery of this passage tell us about Macbeth’s mental state? Do you believe Macbeth feels any remorse for his wife’s death? What does this tell us about Macbeth’s philosophy of life and death?

Ok, there went an hour. I guess I am wasting time.

More tonight, but it probably won’t be until very late, as I will be busy. I’d tell you about it, but I’m getting kind of sick of being accused of active lurking whenever I post anything that’s not indisputably 100% game related, especially when those accusations don’t seem to fly at anyone else in this game.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed May 24, 2017 4:22 pm UTC

#HBC | YOLOSWAG wrote:FOS Madge
Bard and bessie for their obviously scummy posts I quoted, though Bard in particular has been acting like scum for a while now that I think about it.

Here's who you don't lynch: GoP, LaserGuy, BoomFrog, dimochka, SDK, plytho, SirG in order of innocence in my opinion.

Why would you say to lynch Bessie but not SDK? Have you paid any attention to the thread at all? SDK stands by his claim that Bessie is almost certainly town. Do you think SDK is making a mistake but is still town?

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Wed May 24, 2017 4:38 pm UTC

Quick post just to show that I don't need to re-vote myself. I will also have a vote before end of day (not on myself).

I'm opposed to a bessie lynch. I can post my thoughts regarding her, but I see very little that would make me vote for her. I think it's better served re-reading plytho and GoP.

Not opposed to an SDK lynch but I think there are better candidates. I still believe that he isn't town, but probably more indie than anything.

Return to “Mafia”