1896: "Active Ingredients Only"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

leafar

1896: "Active Ingredients Only"

Postby leafar » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:01 pm UTC

Title text: "Contains the active ingredients from all competing cold medicines, plus the medicines for headaches, arthritis, insomnia, indigestion, and more, because who wants THOSE things?"

Personally, I prefer passive-agressive ingredients. They don't let me know they are there, but they hit those viruses HARD.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Re: 1896: "Active Ingredients Only"

Postby flicky1991 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:07 pm UTC

Inactive Gredients
any pronouns (mainly she/he)
----
----
Discord for Forum Games posters
(Please let me know if the link doesn't work)
Spoiler:
Weeks wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:Maybe I am a female Justin Bieber!
Justine Bieber. Alternatively, Miley Cyrus.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:10 pm UTC

I'm confused: is "Only" trademarked, or is it the entire "Active Ingredients Only" ?

ETA
But doesn't this mean there's a homeopathic dose of Inactive Ingredients ?
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

peteispo

Postby peteispo » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:21 pm UTC

They are going to be some teeny-tiny little pills, although I guess 500mg of aspirin might be big enough to get hold of...

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:27 pm UTC

Presumably it wouldn't be pills, just a box of loose powder.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:27 pm UTC

I think it's why they have to bulk up with different active ingredients. Statins, methadone, quinine, sildenafil citrate...

qvxb

Postby qvxb » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:40 pm UTC

Active Ingredients Only for Seniors

Active Ingredients
Those in Active Ingredients Only
Sildenafil citrate

Instructions - Take with water. Swallow quickly.

Side effects - Not following instructions may make neck hard.*

*Thanks, Redd Foxx.

sotanaht

Postby sotanaht » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:24 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:Presumably it wouldn't be pills, just a box of loose powder.

Not necessarily "loose". Packaging isn't an "ingredient" inactive or otherwise, so they can be done like BC powders. That does make me wonder what the inactive ingredients in those are for.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:40 pm UTC

I've got some homeopathic eyedrops that I bought mainly for the "inactive" ingredient used as a delivery medium. Basically without all the weird alchemical trace components they're an old-fashioned boric acid eyewash.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:15 pm UTC

Ah, it's getting to that time of year again. As far as I can tell, the only active ingredient in cold and flu medicines these days is paracetamol (which y'all stateside call acetaminophen), which treats the aches and pains and can lower fever. They used to contain pseudoephedrine, but that stopped being used because it's a precursor to crystal meth (see also xkcd1618); the "substitute" phenylephrine is pure placebo, and not even a very effective placebo at that*.

*Well, it doesn't work for me since I read that Wiki page; now it won't work for you either. Sorry.

By the way, has anyone else in the UK (or beyond) felt like they're coming down with a cold for the last three or four weeks, without it either developing into the real thing or going away?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:48 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:By the way, has anyone else in the UK (or beyond) felt like they're coming down with a cold for the last three or four weeks, without it either developing into the real thing or going away?

YES! Constant low-grade sniffly nose but no other symptoms?
Attoc dna Sublab evol eht teews secoiv fo eht slrug
pronouns: he/him/his

HES

Postby HES » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:13 pm UTC

That's just my permanent state of being.
He/Him/His Image

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:17 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:By the way, has anyone else in the UK (or beyond) felt like they're coming down with a cold for the last three or four weeks, without it either developing into the real thing or going away?
I developed a cough, out of nowhere, yesterday. But not yet had anything like that feeling in the roof of my mouth that usually indicates I'm on the verge of going full-on horrible flu/cold/whatever symptoms.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:17 pm UTC

markfiend wrote:

Strangely, not exactly: I have the slightly achy feeling and a slight heaviness in the lungs, but nothing untoward in the nasal department. It's as though there aren't enough colds to go around, so we're having to share them out between us, getting just one or two symptoms each.

ETA: there you go: Soupspoon has the cough. That's one cold between the three of us.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:39 pm UTC

You guys with the coughs and sore throats make sure to wash your hands thoroughly before posting. We don't want to get sick just by reading your messages.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:18 pm UTC

Yes, you might get a.... computer virus!!!!!111

*crowd-surfs*

flymousechiu

Postby flymousechiu » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:37 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
markfiend wrote:

Strangely, not exactly: I have the slightly achy feeling and a slight heaviness in the lungs, but nothing untoward in the nasal department. It's as though there aren't enough colds to go around, so we're having to share them out between us, getting just one or two symptoms each.

ETA: there you go: Soupspoon has the cough. That's one cold between the three of us.

anybody w/ experience w/ plague inc would know that this is just beginning

Locoluis

Postby Locoluis » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:43 pm UTC

Just eat the whole box and never get sick again… :roll:
Sueños del Sur - A webcomic about four siblings, their family, friends, adventures and dreams.
http://sds.lgm.cl/

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:11 pm UTC

Technically that might come true. Well, you'd get extremely sick once, immediately afterwards.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:42 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:Ah, it's getting to that time of year again. As far as I can tell, the only active ingredient in cold and flu medicines these days is paracetamol (which y'all stateside call acetaminophen), which treats the aches and pains and can lower fever. They used to contain pseudoephedrine, but that stopped being used because it's a precursor to crystal meth (see also xkcd1618); the "substitute" phenylephrine is pure placebo, and not even a very effective placebo at that.

I just buy generic pseudoephedrine and, if I need a pain-killer, generic acetaminophen or ibuprofen. There is no point in buying products with nothing but phenylephrine and maybe guaifenesin. Honestly, based on the evidence, they shouldn't even be able to sell phenylephrine as a decongestant (since it isn't one).

There do exist other OTC decongestants, like oxymetazoline, tetryzoline, and xylometazoline (in some nasal sprays); and l-methamphetamine and propylhexedrine (in some inhalers, with similar effects to pseudoephedrine).

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:41 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:Presumably it wouldn't be pills, just a box of loose powder.

That’s not that bad. I once had a terrible headache on a road trip — the place where we stopped only had the painkiller (either aspirin or acetominophen) in powder form. It was an actual brand (I looked it up to be sure). I think it was BC?

The only really bad part about it is it was really bitter.

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:44 pm UTC

73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

JohnTheWysard

Postby JohnTheWysard » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:00 pm UTC

RoadieRich wrote:Reminds me of paracetamoxyfrusebendroneomycin.

<snerk> Reminds me of a riff Isaac Asimov used at a talk I heard once... he was waiting in line at the supply counter at a chem lab, wanting to pick up some p-dimethylamino benzaldehyde. In front of him in line was a very pretty redheaded young lady. Isaac started idly singing "Para dimethyl amino benzaldehyde" to the tune of The Irish Washerwoman.

To his delight the girl turned to him, stars in her eyes, and said "Oh! How wonderful! You know it in the original Irish!"

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:39 pm UTC

Imagine the list of side effects on the back of the box. In fact, I think they're gonna need a bigger box.

"Constipation and explosive diarrhea? That's gonna hurt..."

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:40 pm UTC

Mikeski wrote:Imagine the list of side effects on the back of the box. In fact, I think they're gonna need a bigger box.

"Constipation and explosive diarrhea? That's gonna hurt..."

Implosive diarrhea?

StClair

Postby StClair » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:07 am UTC

"Some of the side effects to the medication I take are either nightmares, and sometimes diseases, and sometimes diarrhea, constipation, bleeding from the eyes. My ears ache. Sometimes I get headaches, migraines, death. But I got pills to cure the death, so I take those and it... and it off-sets the death effects."

niauropsaka

Postby niauropsaka » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:57 am UTC

I looked at this cartoon and said, "So, poison, then."

x7eggert

Postby x7eggert » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:11 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:*Well, it doesn't work for me since I read that Wiki page; now it won't work for you either. Sorry.

Fortunately knowing that it's a Placebo doesn't reduce it's effect. If you are out of pain killers, take jelly beans. Now that I said this, they will work ... as long as a placebo does work for your pain. (You need different kinds of pain killers for different kinds of pain, so ...)

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:03 pm UTC

Sort of by definition, placebos don't "work" at all in the sense that you mean.

measure

Postby measure » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:52 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:Well, it doesn't work for me since I read that Wiki page; now it won't work for you either. Sorry.

x7eggert wrote:Fortunately knowing that it's a Placebo doesn't reduce it's effect.

Eebster the Great wrote:Sort of by definition, placebos don't "work" at all in the sense that you mean.

I believe x7eggert was trying to solve the problem orthogon created. That is, placebos don't work, but if you don't know it's just a placebo, then it does work. Once you know it's a placebo, the only way for it to work for you again is if you believe (incorrectly) that knowing about the placebo doesn't change anything.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:59 pm UTC

measure wrote:
orthogon wrote:Well, it doesn't work for me since I read that Wiki page; now it won't work for you either. Sorry.

x7eggert wrote:Fortunately knowing that it's a Placebo doesn't reduce it's effect.

Eebster the Great wrote:Sort of by definition, placebos don't "work" at all in the sense that you mean.

I believe x7eggert was trying to solve the problem orthogon created. That is, placebos don't work, but if you don't know it's just a placebo, then it does work. Once you know it's a placebo, the only way for it to work for you again is if you believe (incorrectly) that knowing about the placebo doesn't change anything.

But that isn't an incorrect belief. It is true that knowing that the pill is a placebo doesn't change how it affects you. It doesn't affect you. If you do get better anyways, it by definition isn't due to any ingredients in the pill, and almost certainly has nothing to do with the pill at all.

measure

Postby measure » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:06 pm UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:
measure wrote:snip

But that isn't an incorrect belief. It is true that knowing that the pill is a placebo doesn't change how it affects you. It doesn't affect you. If you do get better anyways, it by definition isn't due to any ingredients in the pill, and almost certainly has nothing to do with the pill at all.

It does work in the sense that if you hadn't taken the pill believing it to be effective, then your condition may not have improved (as much), or are you saying there is no such thing as the Placebo Effect?

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:31 pm UTC

measure wrote:or are you saying there is no such thing as the Placebo Effect?

He shouldn't say that! Placebos are getting better all the time, even though drugs aren't...

"We find that placebo responses have increased considerably over this period, but drug responses have remained stable, leading to diminished treatment advantage."

svenman

Postby svenman » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:14 am UTC

Mikeski wrote:He shouldn't say that! Placebos are getting better all the time, even though drugs aren't...

"We find that placebo responses have increased considerably over this period, but drug responses have remained stable, leading to diminished treatment advantage."

I have a hunch that somewhere in there we have the seed of an explanation for Trump...

Edit: And probably Brexit too, come to think of it.
Last edited by svenman on Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may help.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:16 am UTC

The "placebo response" is produced by the combination of all effects other than those caused by the active ingredient. It's not just an expectation that the drug will work, and when it is, it often isn't in a way that would be likely to be reproducible outside a lab, such as the subject-expectancy effect. There are all sorts of reasons the test group would report or be reported differently from the control group if the participants knew which they were in. I don't really believe that people at home taking placebo decongestants are seeing real improvement of their symptoms.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:05 pm UTC

They would still feel better on average, (or at least claim to?) and isn't that generally considered part of the symptoms?

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:30 am UTC

SuicideJunkie wrote:They would still feel better on average, (or at least claim to?) and isn't that generally considered part of the symptoms?

My point is that telling someone the pill is a placebo or even them deciding not to take the pill at all will not change this fact. Regression to the mean alone is likely to make them feel better. Simply being asked how they feel by someone expecting them to feel better will make them report that they feel better. And the placebo response at home is unlikely to be comparable to the placebo response in a hospital anyway.

Yes, there is some effect due to the belief that a pill works, but that is not the entirety or even majority of the placebo effect.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:33 am UTC

I've heard of this Placebo™ thing, isn't that the new prescription cure for hypochondria? I'm pretty sure I've got that, so I should probably give Placebo™ a try.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

x7eggert

Postby x7eggert » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:31 am UTC

measure wrote:

Nope, it does work in any case. The important part is knowing that you're taking this fake pill with the "m&m" logo against $DISEASE, and your body will know "now I'm in a safe position to lower my running-away-from-tiger ability and to turn up my healing ability". Sometimes this will make more difference than a barely-better-than-nothing medicine.

If placebo didn't work, we'd not need double blind studies at all.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:25 pm UTC

x7eggert wrote:The important part is knowing that you're taking this fake pill with the "m&m" logo against $DISEASE

The other trick is knowing how to categorize the pills since they always give you a multipack and they tend to get jumbled.
  • Red = For sore throat
  • Yellow = For runny nose
  • Green = For nausea
  • Blue = Mood lifter
  • Brown = Everything else

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”