Rebuilding Google After The Apocalypse

A place to discuss the science of computers and programs, from algorithms to computability.

Formal proofs preferred.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

danlovy

Rebuilding Google After The Apocalypse

Postby danlovy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:26 pm UTC

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Re: Rebuilding Google After The Apocalypse

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:52 pm UTC

At the most basic, I saw nothing wrong enough with the figures to find it worth mentioning.

However, on your concluding line, there is an alternative to just letting him pass if you're prepared for the situation

danlovy

Postby danlovy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:58 pm UTC

I did not know such a thing existed. Need one in my apocalypse shelter.

hotaru

Postby hotaru » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:56 am UTC

Soupspoon wrote:However, on your concluding line, there is an alternative to just letting him pass if you're prepared for the situation

USB hubs are cheaper.

Code: Select all

factorial product enumFromTo 1
isPrime n 
factorial (1) `mod== 1

danlovy

Postby danlovy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:42 am UTC

and do better in the wastelands

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:08 am UTC

hotaru wrote:
Soupspoon wrote:However, on your concluding line, there is an alternative to just letting him pass if you're prepared for the situation

USB hubs are cheaper.

But don't do the same self-contained job. (Presumably with better/faster write-verification than what you'd end up scripting on the computer you'd also have to lug about along with the several device-off-device-treed hubs that you'd need.)

I'm fairly sure I'm never getting a 48-port USB capability of any kind (though I can easily start regretting that I only have the one 6-port hub hanging off of one of my original 6 ports emerging from my case) and under Windows nomenclature I'd be hard pressed to easily support even the 22 drives (E: and higher) conventionally unreserved. And then I need to make sure that I'm not overcopying the intended source drive (one could let the script assume that is the sole non-emptily-partitioned one that is propagated to all the empty one, but then you run the risk of manually clearing the one you want to keep whilst thinking you're clearing ones ready for use, when rushing to fulfill the duplication - as I know to my cost, albeit in pre-USB times with multiple HDDs plugged into an open case...).

Yeah, anyway. Just FYI. If someone can forewarn me of the need, though, I'm sure I could put that on my credit-card (the collapse of the world economy will have some use, saving me from needing to justify the expense!) plus whatever power source I need to make it operate. Then I'll accept USB Couriers through my own stretch of apocalyptic desert with open arms (and mouth!), ready to help kick-start the post-BOOM!!! data-boom at the risk of the scorched remains of my credit card now making me bust.

danlovy

Postby danlovy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:44 am UTC

You would be the weird guy that owns the broken down bar but able to copy USB drives, waiting, waiting, waiting...

Return to “Computer Science”