What is my Exact Mailing Address?

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

jewish_scientist

What is my Exact Mailing Address?

Postby jewish_scientist » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:54 am UTC

My friend is going to mail something to me, so I told them my address was "[Redacted], MA, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way". I was wondering how much more general I could go.
"You are not running off with Cow-Skull Man Dracula Skeletor!"
-Socrates

Raidri

Re: What is my Exact Mailing Address?

Postby Raidri » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:10 pm UTC

From Wikipedia:
The Milky Way has several satellite galaxies and is part of the Local Group of galaxies, which form part of the Virgo Supercluster, which is itself a component of the Laniakea Supercluster.

You could also add the Local Interstellar Cloud, the Local Bubble and the Orion Arm between the Solar System and the Milky Way. And Americas as continent between USA and Earth. Also New England between MA and USA.

So if you wanted to you could go to
[Redacted]
MA
New England
USA
Americas
Earth
Solar System
Local Interstellar Cloud
Local Bubble
Orion Arm
Milky Way
Local Group
Virgo Supercluster
Laniakea Supercluster
Last edited by Raidri on Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Tub

Postby Tub » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:23 pm UTC

Your exact mailing address depends on the address format expected by your postal service. Name, Street, City, State, Country seems popular for classic parcel delivery, but I'm sure there are some delivery methods that prefer lat/lon coordinates.

To satisfy your curiosity, the hierarchy beyond that is easy to look up: ...Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea Supercluster, Observable universe.

Most of these names are a bit human-centric and unsuitable for interstellar delivery unless translated. Even though there's certainly something beyond the observable universe, no delivery service will accept those regions for delivery from or to earth, so we can end there.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:24 pm UTC

Though if you neglect the ZIP code, you may be fucked regardless of how many bigger regions you add
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

p1t1o

Postby p1t1o » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:44 pm UTC

Milky Way Galaxy,
Virgo Cluster,
Virgo Supercluster,
Laniakea Supercluster,
Nr. Great Attractor,
Space/Time C-137
The Multiverse
Conceptual Existensialism

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:04 pm UTC

C-137? I thought that we were Earth-1218?

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:54 am UTC

You also should give a time range within which you would like the package to be delivered. For instance, it will do no good to deliver it in ten billion years.

p1t1o

Postby p1t1o » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:34 pm UTC

ijuin wrote:C-137? I thought that we were Earth-1218?

You might have taken a wrong turn, if you went past the hyperspace bypass, you went too far.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:42 pm UTC

A whole topic dealing with location between solar system and galaxy.

Raidri wrote: And Americas as continent between USA and Earth.
In English "Americas" isn't a continent (Although North and South America are each one), it's an archaic term for a variety of indeterminate landmasses like the islands of Florida and Columbia.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:32 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:
Raidri wrote: And Americas as continent between USA and Earth.
In English "Americas" isn't a continent (Although North and South America are each one), it's an archaic term for a variety of indeterminate landmasses like the islands of Florida and Columbia.

I mean, the fact that it's the title of the Wikipedia article would suggest that it's not really so archaic a term, no?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:04 pm UTC

In the sense of a "continent" it is archaic. The article even specially discusses the deprecation of the term in the etymology section. Americas as a catch all term for the continents and archipelagos is still in use, but much less that North/South/Central America.

Also, I don't really think Wikipedia has any rules about pages needing to be based around a modern word, or even any English term at all. It's perfectly fine to write pluck a word from a foreign dictionary and write an article on it as long as there are the right kinds of sources. Also no requirement that sources be English or from the last eighty years.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:12 pm UTC

It doesn't say the term is archaic. It says that generally in English, we now call North and South America distinct continents, while "The Americas" collectively refers to both, and "America" most often refers to the U.S. What is archaic is referring to The Americas / the American supercontinent as "America."

Return to “Science”