Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Flumble
Yes Man

Re: Thoughts for ships

Postby Flumble » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:50 pm UTC

It raises the question if you stick your chin out for something.
You must be up to your chin in questions.
You really take questionable fashion on the chin.

Do you have the answer written on your forehead?

addams

Postby addams » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:39 pm UTC

gd1 wrote:Questionable decision for facial hair...

Spoiler:

If the Riddler ever gets facial hair it should look like this.
What happen??
Did you do that?
Or; Did you, just, wake up to it?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

gd1

Postby gd1 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:53 pm UTC

Not me, I was just looking up "Weird Beard" in google out of curiosity and found that picture.
There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:45 am UTC

This is what I think of when I hear "weird beard" (character mentioned/shown in an episode of the old Dennis the Menace and Gnasher cartoon):
weirdbeard.png
any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:40 pm UTC

I think about dandelions.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:31 pm UTC

I'm listening to "Dandelion" by The Rolling Stones
―◯‐◯ FG Discord ◯‐◯―

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:48 pm UTC

I just went to my relatives’ church’s Christmas performance (they’re in the choir) and holy shit, Southern Baptists certainly know how to put on a show. I’m talking a 350 person choir, a full orchestra, a performance artist, a drumline, and a rock band with professional quality lighting and sound and television cameras. They estimate that a total of 20,000 people are going to attend the 3 performances! And this is in a city of only about 100,000 with plenty of other churches.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:32 am UTC

pogrmman wrote:I just went to my relatives’ church’s Christmas performance (they’re in the choir) and holy shit, Southern Baptists certainly know how to put on a show. I’m talking a 350 person choir, a full orchestra, a performance artist, a drumline, and a rock band with professional quality lighting and sound and television cameras. They estimate that a total of 20,000 people are going to attend the 3 performances! And this is in a city of only about 100,000 with plenty of other churches.

And just think what would have happened had they taken the money needed to put on such a show and given it to the homeless and needy. I bet they’d have wasted it by buying a soda when they bought groceries.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:38 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
pogrmman wrote:I just went to my relatives’ church’s Christmas performance (they’re in the choir) and holy shit, Southern Baptists certainly know how to put on a show. I’m talking a 350 person choir, a full orchestra, a performance artist, a drumline, and a rock band with professional quality lighting and sound and television cameras. They estimate that a total of 20,000 people are going to attend the 3 performances! And this is in a city of only about 100,000 with plenty of other churches.

And just think what would have happened had they taken the money needed to put on such a show and given it to the homeless and needy. I bet they’d have wasted it by buying a soda when they bought groceries.

Not just that, but this church routinely raises in excess of $1,000,000 for “missions”. To me that’s shocking. Sure, it’s only like $75 in donations from each parishioner because it’s a massive church, but still. That’s not an insignificant amount of money per person. The fact that they use it for evangelizing instead of, you know, helping people disgusts me (but I’m also a total atheist).

The amount of money that this church raises in a single year could probably provide housing for every homeless person in their city. There’s also loads of other churches in their city. Admittedly, this one is the biggest church, but if all the churches in their city worked together, they could almost certainly eliminate homelessness and probably eliminate a significant amount of poverty, too.

I doubt their city is unique in that respect. While I haven’t spent a ton of time in smaller towns and cities, I imagine that if every church in the country spent only 50% of their evangelism budget on local poverty and homelessness, those issues would virtually disappear.

I’m not saying all churches ignore these issues — many churches do plenty of good in helping local poor and homeless populations. But plenty would rather spend their money on trying to spread the religion.

HES

Postby HES » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:29 am UTC

pogrmman wrote:But plenty would rather spend their money on trying to spread the religion.

After all, what's the point in helping them in this life if they're screwed in the next :roll:
He/Him/His Image

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:24 pm UTC

pogrmman wrote:[...] this church routinely raises in excess of $1,000,000 for “missions”. To me that’s shocking. Sure, it’s only like $75 in donations from each parishioner because it’s a massive church, but still. That’s not an insignificant amount of money per person. The fact that they use it for evangelizing instead of, you know, helping people disgusts me (but I’m also a total atheist).

I dislike evangelism, too. That said, these people are not by far the only ones who have a lot of money to spend and don't use it to make the world a better place.
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:04 pm UTC

Jplus wrote:
pogrmman wrote:[...] this church routinely raises in excess of $1,000,000 for “missions”. To me that’s shocking. Sure, it’s only like $75 in donations from each parishioner because it’s a massive church, but still. That’s not an insignificant amount of money per person. The fact that they use it for evangelizing instead of, you know, helping people disgusts me (but I’m also a total atheist).

I dislike evangelism, too. That said, these people are not by far the only ones who have a lot of money to spend and don't use it to make the world a better place.

Yeah, but they're the only ones following the teachings of a fuckin' dude who was all "Want to get an eternal, everlasting reward from my father? Give all your shit to the poor. All of it. Fucking Me, how much do I need to repeat this? Help the needy.

Like, someone who isn't very religious (or at least not constantly talking about how devout they are) and has a shitload of money and doesn't give it to poor people because they don't wanna? I mean.. I've got a problem with it, but it's not one of cognitive dissonance. It's just a "Don't be shitty, dude, you can survive on a mere half million a year, I assure you. Give away some of them billions" thing.

But an organization built on some dude's words when those words were "Material possessions are a cancer to your soul, divest yourself of them to aid those without" that spends a shitload of cash on material goods? That's pretty fucked up.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:16 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:But an organization built on some dude's words when those words were "Material possessions are a cancer to your soul, divest yourself of them to aid those without" that spends a shitload of cash on material goods? That's pretty fucked up.

That’s the big part that irks me too. I went to religious elementary and high schools*, and virtually every chapel service, they reaffirmed the importance of helping out those less fortunate than ourselves. And the adults at both schools actively set good examples of this — doing significant amounts of helping out the people in our community: not just giving money and supplies, but also working in soup kitchens, helping a local organization build homes for the homeless, working to further civil rights causes. While they weren’t perfect, to me, they truly demonstrated that they were invested in Christ as a role model. While I did not necessarily agree with them in why it was important to live that way, I always thought that they were genuinely good people.

When I compare the actions of Christ in the bible and the actions of the genuinely good religious people I know to the kinds of people that preach Christianity but don’t actually follow Christ as a role model, that’s when I get most upset with religion.

*Important note: although they were religious, the schools I attended were quite progressive. My high school was jokingly referred to by the students as the “Democratic People’s Republic of school name here”. Both my elementary and high school had teachers and staff (and students) that would attend protests fairly often. Recently, they both had to start an alternative private school sports league because they pissed off other private schools by letting trans students play on the teams of their preferred gender. Lots of teachers, especially in high school, were aging hippies. My high school took booze more seriously than pot (and it’s in Texas!)

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:15 pm UTC

Two of them!

Two woodpeckers 2.JPG

Also two of these, which are larger:

Crow.JPG
Zohar wrote:You don't know what you're talking about. Please spare me your quote sniping and general obliviousness.

CorruptUser wrote:Just admit that you were wrong ... and your entire life, cyberspace and meatspace both, would be orders of magnitude more enjoyable for you and others around you.

New User

Postby New User » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:41 pm UTC

About two years ago I built a new PC. It was my first custom build, and it turned out fine. The OS is installed on a solid state drive, and the HDD is used only for storage, mostly for games, but also some movies and music and pictures and other miscellany. But I have had a problem with Windows 10 sometimes going into sleep mode and then waking itself up repeatedly. Sometimes, it would go into sleep mode and then immediately wake up. Any time it did this, it would spin up the HDD, which I know causes wear and tear. Sometimes, while sitting at my computer browsing the web or something else that shouldn't involve the HDD (since the web browser and most apps are on the SSD), I would hear the HDD activate for no apparent reason. When it's time to shut off my computer, I can hear the HDD activate and spin up to speed, which I think is not necessary to simply shut down.

Earlier this year, I noticed that I was having some issues with that HDD. I bought a new one with more storage capacity, so I could copy all my music and movies and miscellany to it, and use the older drive only for games. When I was copying some folders, it would occasionally encounter an error and wouldn't be able to copy a file. For example, a folder full of songs might copy every song except one, after reporting the error. This was the first sign that something was wrong. Only weeks later, I noticed that some Steam games were giving me errors. Sometimes a game wouldn't launch, or would launch but then freeze or exhibit other erratic behavior. It was necessary to run Steam's file checker, which would sometimes find file errors and re-download the necessary files. After doing that, it would work fine.

So, about a month ago, I got a good deal on a new solid state drive to replace the problematic HDD. This is something I had been looking forward to for a long time, just to save on loading times for games and whatnot, but I was putting it off until I could get one for a good price. So I got the drive in the mail, but then waited to install it. A couple of weeks later, and my HDD seems to have gone kaput. One morning, I could hear it making some kind of whirring and clicking noise that wasn't normal. When I would open Windows Explorer, the program would freeze, and since the taskbar and everything is tied into the Explorer program, I couldn't shut off or restart my computer without a hard reset. Even task manager couldn't shut down or restart Windows Explorer. So after hard resetting, and getting the same problem, I just unplugged the SATA cable from the HDD. At that point, the PC would run fine, and no more odd sounds, so I knew it was that HDD that was causing the problem. So I installed that SSD I had bought as a replacement, and things are going fine. But what's most interesting about all this is that now, when my PC goes into sleep mode, it doesn't wake itself up randomly like it used to. It seems that the HDD activating at random times and spinning up to speed was wearing out the drive and also causing the PC to wake up from sleep mode, but I haven't any idea why that would happen. I don't hear the newer HDD spinning up to speed at random times either, but then again, I can barely hear it even when I'm using it, so I think it's just quieter (even though they are both Western Digital Blues). I never defragged that old drive, and I don't recall ever running Windows disk checker on it either (the "check for errors" prompt in Windows).

So, the lesson I learned from all this is that Windows 10 will activate your hard drives for no reason, and activate them when it shouldn't be necessary (as when I click "shut down") and this will put unnecessary wear on your drive. I have a Western Digital external HDD that I bought in 2005, it's been around the world with me, and it still works. I've even taken the case apart twice and removed the IDE cable to attach another drive, then reassembled everything back to normal, and this isn't a case that was designed to be disassembled. In other words, that external HDD has lasted a long time and has been very reliable. The Western Digital Blue that I had lasted little over two years, and I think the reason is because it was being activated the brought up to speed more often than necessary.
Last edited by New User on Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:37 pm UTC

I think it was both. 10 will do some error checking stuff behind the scenes - if it was "bad' out of the box and was going to die a bit before it should have, and 10 noticed this, it may have scheduled checks, defrags and such (the waking up after going to sleep part) which ran the drive more and sped up the process.

I'm not saying 10 is blameless here - far from it - but I am saying that it just made what would have happened in year 3-4 happen in year 2.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:17 pm UTC

A lot of money and effort went into making this list, and it'd be a shame to lose it all because Livejournal folds.

Beers and ciders reviewed so far
Spoiler:
Disclaimer first: most of these opinions are based on single bottles, and I'm sure it's possible to get a bad one. I've had enough luck finding good ones not to feel the need to give others a second chance. For more details, see the review thread.

Beers:

Good:

Adnams Spindrift (5.0%)
Badger England's Gold (4.6%)
Badger Fursty Ferret (4.4%)
Badger Poacher's Choice (5.7%)
Brasserie Goudale la Goudale (7.2%)
Black Sheep Golden Ale (4.2%)
Black Sheep Riggwelter (5.7%)
Daleside Morocco Ale (5.5%)
Double Maxim (4.7%)
Fuller's ESB (5.9%)
Greene King Suffolk Springer (6.0%)
Ilkley Black (3.7%)
Ilkley Oatmeal Stout (5.0%)
Jennings Cumberland Ale (4.7%)
Kelham Island Pale Rider (5.2%)
Leeds Brewery Midnight Bell (4.8%)
Old Crafty Hen (6.5%)
Pauwel Kwak (8.4%)
Ridley's Old Bob (5.1%)
Sharp's Doom Bar (4.3%)
Springhead Leveller (4.8%)
Theakston Pale Ale (4.5%)
Thwaites Liberation (4.9%)
Thwaites Wainwright (4.1%)
Wold Top Wold Gold (4.8%)
Yorkshire Blackout (5.0%)

Will get for parties:

Badger First Call (4.0%)
Badger Daring Diver (4.7%)
Badger Firkin Fox (4.6%)
Badger Golden Champion (5.0%)
Badger Golden Glory (4.5%)
Batemans Victory Ale (6.0%)
Black Sheep Golden Sheep Ale (4.7%)
Black Sheep Monty Python's Holy Grail (4.7%)
Black Sheep Velo (4.2%)
Blue Moon (5.4%)
Brains S.A. Gold (4.7%)
Daleside Ripon Jewel (5.8%)
Everards Dark Ale (5.0%)
Fuller's Golden Pride (8.5%)
Fuller's Honey Dew (5.0%)
Innis & Gunn Original (6.6%)
Jennings Westmorland Ale (4.0%)
Joseph Holt Humdinger (4.1%)
Morland Old Hoppy Hen (4.2%)
Peroni Doppio Malto gran riserva (6.6%)
Ringwood Fortyniner (4.9%)
Robinsons Iron Maiden Trooper (4.7%)
Theakston Lightfoot (4.1%)
Thwaites Chestnut Dancer (3.7%)
Thwaites Double Century (5.2%)
Thwaites Lancaster Bomber (4.4%)
Thwaites Old Dan (7.4%)
Treboom Yorkshire Sparkle (4.0%)
Wychwood Piledriver (4.3%)
Wyre Piddle Piddle in the Hole (4.0%)

Will get for beer-tasting parties because they're unique and fairly good:

Badger Blandford Fly (5.2%)
Cains Fine Raisin Beer (5.0%)
Crabbie's Original Alcoholic Ginger Beer (4.0%)
Robinsons Old Tom (8.5%)
Sharp's Seven Souls (5.4%)
Wells Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale (5.0%)

Drinkable:

Badger Firkin Fox (4.6%)
Badger First Gold (4.0%)
Badger Hopping Hare (4.4%)
Badger Tanglefoot (5.0%)
Batemans Dark Lord (5.0%)
Bernard Dark (5.1%)
Black Sheep Imperial Russian (8.5%)
Black Sheep Yorkshire Square (5.0%)
Brains The Rev. James (4.5%)
Brewdog Dead Pony Club (3.8%)
Burton Union India Pale Ale (5.9%)
Camerons Motörhead Röadcrew (5.0%)
Chimay Pères Trappistes Chimay Red (7.0%)
Cropton Yorkshire Warrior (4.4%)
Daleside Monkey Wrench (5.3%)
Erdinger Dunkel (5.6%)
Everards Tiger (4.5%)
Fuller's London Porter (5.4%)
Hambleton Ales Taylor's Tipple (4.5%)
Hawkshead Brodie's Prime (4.9%)
J.W.Lees Brewer's Dark (3.5%)
Jennings Sneck Lifter (5.1%)
Little Valley Ginger Pale Ale (4.0%)
Mordue Brewery Radgie Gadgie (4.8%)
Morland Old Mulled Hen (5.0%)
Morland Old Speckled Hen (5.2%)
Natural Brewing Co. Irresistible Premium Ale (4.3%)
Nick Stafford's Stud (4.3%)
Ringwood Old Thumper (5.6%)
Saltaire Triple Chocoholic (4.8%)
Shepherd Neame Late Red (4.5%)
St Peter's Brewery Suffolk Blonde (4.7%)
Thwaites Very Nutty Black (3.9%)
Titanic American Red Ale (4.5%)
Wadworth 6X (4.3%)
Wells Bombardier Burning Gold (4.7%)
Wold Top Angler's Reward (4.0%)
Worthington's White Shield (5.6%)
York Brewery York Minster Ale (4.2%)

Not good:

Black Sheep Amber Ale (4.5%)
Black Sheep Reaper (4.1%)
Cropton Yorkshire Moors (4.6%)
Heather Ale Ltd Fraoch (5.0%)
Hook Norton Hooky Gold (4.2%)
J.W.Lees The Governor (4.1%)
Joseph Holt Maplemoon (4.8%)
Joseph Holt Two Hoots (4.2%)
Kopparbergs Frank's Alcoholic Root Beer (4.0%)
McMullen Hertford Castle (5.0%)
Moorhouse's Blond Witch (4.5%)
Morland Old Golden Hen (4.1%)
Nick Stafford's Stallion (4.2%)
Ruddles County (4.7%)
Rudgate Jorvik (4.6%)
Shepherd Neame Gentleman Jack (5.0%)
Shepherd Neame Spitfire (4.5%)
Tesco simply Golden Ale (4.5%)
Titanic Golden Ale (4.5%)
Wold Top Against The Grain (4.5%)
Wolf Battle of Britain (3.9%)
York Brewery Yorkshire Terrier (4.2%)

Not good at all:

Black Sheep All Creatures Bright & Beautiful (4.0%)
Bowland Brewery Cromwell Stout (4.5%)
Duchy Originals Organic Select Ale (6.2%)
Oakham Ales Scarlet Macaw (4.8%)
Ossett Yorkshire Blonde (4.5%)
Robinsons Blonde Tom (6.0%)
Robinsons Iron Maiden Trooper Hallowed (6.0%)
St Peter's Organic Ale (4.5%)
York Brewery Centurion's Ghost Ale (5.4%)

Down the sink, it was that bad:

Tesco simple Dark Ale (4.5%)
Thwaites Tavern Porter (4.7%)
Hofbräu KaltenHausen Edelweiss (5.5%)
Nick Stafford's Nightmare (5.0%)

Ciders:

Good:

Kopparberg Alcohol-free pear cider
Old Mout Passionfruit & apple (4.0%)
Rekorderlig Premium strawberry-lime cider (4.0%)
Stella Artois Cidre (4.5%)

Party:

Brothers Strawberry mixed pear cider (4.0%)
Henry Westons Medium dry (6.5%)
Henry Westons Medium sweet (4.5%)
Kopparberg Pear (4.5%)
Kopparberg with Raspberries (4.0%)
Kopparberg Premium cider with strawberry & lime (4.0%)
Old Mout Kiwi & Lime (4.0%)
Rekorderlig Premium apple & blackcurrant cider (4.0%)
Rekorderlig Premium mango-raspberry cider (4.0%)
Stella Artois Cidre Pear (4.5%)
Waitrose Vintage English Cider (7.3%)

Interesting:

Kopparberg With Mixed Fruit (4.0%)

Drinkable:

Aspall Perronelle's Blush / blackberry liqueur (5.4%)
Gaymers Pear cider with berry fruits (4.0%)
Henney's From Valley apple-sweet cider (5.7%)
Magners Pear and Ginger (4.0%)
Rekorderlig Premium passion fruit cider (4.0%)
Rekorderlig Premium wild berries cider (4.0%)
Waitrose low alcohol cider (<1%)

Not good:

Rekorderlig Premium pear cider (4.5%)
Stella Artois Cidre raspberry cider (4.0%)
Stella Artois Cidre peach cider (4.0%)

Not good at all:

Magners Spiced apple & rhubarb (4.0%)
Waitrose Vintage English Perry (8%)

Plughole:

{None at time of posting}
Zohar wrote:You don't know what you're talking about. Please spare me your quote sniping and general obliviousness.

CorruptUser wrote:Just admit that you were wrong ... and your entire life, cyberspace and meatspace both, would be orders of magnitude more enjoyable for you and others around you.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:46 pm UTC

Totally judging you for only having one Adnams beer on that list (not really, it's just that I spent a lot of childhood summers in the town where Adnams is brewed, so it has a special place in my heart). Btw, I strongly recommend Mosaic pale ale if you're looking to expand your Adnams experience.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:15 pm UTC

I found out about a nifty kind of sundial called a bifilar sundial. I was able to put a small one together in maybe a half hour with only a ruler, compass (drawing kind), and scissors for tools. It works quite well! It’s accurate to better than 30 minutes* even with only a rough-ish guess as to where north is. If I’m careful with setup and added some more lines, I could probably get accuracy down to 15 minutes or less. I’m impressed for something that fits on a normal piece of paper.

Here it is:
Spoiler:
image.jpg

Given my latitude, I don’t need lines for anything earlier than 5am or after 7pm, but I included them just because. I should’ve also oriented it the horizontally, not vertically. I don’t think my angles are quite perfect either — I didn’t have a protractor, so I had to make do by building a 60°
and a 30° angle from a right angle and repeatedly bisecting them.

*local solar time, of course — to get standard time, you need to run a conversion using your longitude and the equation of time

Soot Leopard

Postby Soot Leopard » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:49 am UTC

Why do I love to use rhetorical questions so much?
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia
Beware my original music which you can find on https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden and other places besides!

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:09 am UTC

Because you know one of us knuckleheads is going to answer it for you.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:48 am UTC

It's starting to snow in Tucson.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:06 pm UTC

pogrmman wrote:I found out about a nifty kind of sundial called a bifilar sundial. I was able to put a small one together in maybe a half hour with only a ruler, compass (drawing kind), and scissors for tools. It works quite well! It’s accurate to better than 30 minutes* even with only a rough-ish guess as to where north is. If I’m careful with setup and added some more lines, I could probably get accuracy down to 15 minutes or less. I’m impressed for something that fits on a normal piece of paper.

That's pretty cool actually. Too bad the yard outside my window a) is shared property b) gets zero amount of direct sunlight.
―◯‐◯ FG Discord ◯‐◯―

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:32 pm UTC

Midwinter sunset makes for a rather good double desktop.

Himawari sunset.png

Thanks, Japan!

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:34 pm UTC

Sableagle wrote:Midwinter sunset makes for a rather good double desktop.

Himawari sunset.png

Thanks, Japan!

Cool. Who made this photograph if I may ask?
―◯‐◯ FG Discord ◯‐◯―

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:47 pm UTC

https://himawari8.nict.go.jp/

That computer out there did.

Himawari sunrise.png

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:53 pm UTC

Animated!

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:49 am UTC

You must not say duck:
https://twitter.com/TheMERL/status/1081175584540114944

Clearly, whoever's doing the social media for the English Museum of Rural Life is doing an excellent job.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:43 pm UTC

A Day in the Life of a Hoarder: Nesting your collection of empty cardboard boxes for efficient storage so you don't have to throw any of them away.
―◯‐◯ FG Discord ◯‐◯―

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:58 pm UTC

ObsessoMom wrote:You must not say duck:
https://twitter.com/TheMERL/status/1081175584540114944

Clearly, whoever's doing the social media for the English Museum of Rural Life is doing an excellent job.

That was wonderful. Thank you.

I'd join in but I'm not on Twitter and I don't think flamingos count.

Does this little guy qualify as a duck?

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:24 am UTC

Santa Claus sees every naughty act committed by anyone anywhere at any time throughout the whole year, knows every child by name, knows what they need to make them happy, only gets to intervene at all in a tiny time bracket and can't give them anything that'd create a major change in the story of their lives (similar to the crossover comic gag limitations).

What did Santa do that was so terrible that his punishment was that fate?

Oh. Yeah. That.

Crazy thought for the day: The bad one was punished with immortality, empathy and inability to help.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:33 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:A Day in the Life of a Hoarder: Nesting your collection of empty cardboard boxes for efficient storage so you don't have to throw any of them away.

I do that too. Does that make me a hoarder? :oops:
Empty cardboard boxes* are a great source of storage containers. And there are many things that need to be contained.

*especially if they're of different sizes because, if you have one that fits neatly around the stuff, you don't waste too much space and the stuff doesn't slosh around if you move the box and it might even improve the durability of the box.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:01 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
somitomi wrote:A Day in the Life of a Hoarder: Nesting your collection of empty cardboard boxes for efficient storage so you don't have to throw any of them away.

I do that too. Does that make me a hoarder? :oops:
Empty cardboard boxes* are a great source of storage containers. And there are many things that need to be contained.

I think it depends on how many boxes you have. If it's just the one shelf reserved for empty boxes, you're probably okay. If your entire house is boxes, you're probably a hoarder (or maybe a hobo). The line's somewhere inbetween, but I don't know where.
―◯‐◯ FG Discord ◯‐◯―

gd1

Postby gd1 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:27 am UTC

He has furry little ears
A furry little nose
A furry little tail
And furry little toes

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:43 am UTC

So, he's a furry.
any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

gd1

Postby gd1 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:58 am UTC

flicky1991 wrote:So, he's a furry.

I suppose a cat would be...

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:52 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
somitomi wrote:Empty cardboard boxes

gd1 wrote:a cat

It never seems to take long, does it?

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:43 pm UTC

There's a youtube channel (and website) dedicated entirely to trucks crashing at a low clearance bridge in North Carolina. I wanted you to know that.
Edit: it's kind of odd that on all the videos I've seen so far, the truck driver just drives off without checking the damage.
―◯‐◯ FG Discord ◯‐◯―

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:01 pm UTC

The University of Louisville is just leaving money on the table by not filming the 4th street bridge and putting it on the web.

It's been breaking trucks for decades.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:59 am UTC

Experienced slow load times. Noticed ~250 guests in Gaming. Checked the index.
In total there are 1902 users online :: 8 registered, 1 hidden and 1893 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)

Explains that.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Return to “General”