2089: "Christmas Eve Eve"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

The Snide Sniper

2089: "Christmas Eve Eve"

Postby The Snide Sniper » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:24 pm UTC

Title text: It turns out that saying "Oh, so THAT'S why they call it Boxing Day" is a good way to get punched a second time.

Hey, this was my joke!
Also known as "RamenChef" on various other fora.
Me on: Drawception | Explain xkcd | NationStates | The Sluggite Zone | Stack Overflow

moody7277

Re: 2089: "Christmas Eve Eve"

Postby moody7277 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:33 pm UTC

Of course next year, there'll be one more Eve onto that for a leap year.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:09 pm UTC

Gotta be a stupid joke about an online video game, or a Jessica Chastain movie in there somewhere.

If I had the time, I'd mod the original art so deep in that sequence, one of the "Eve"s is replaced with a "Lilith" .
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:31 pm UTC

Nah. That's just how the NSA spies on our electronic Christmas cards.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

richP

Postby richP » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:18 pm UTC

In a similar vein, this is also the time of year where I end up getting reminded of Perez Hilton (one of those inexplicable Internet celebrities). I'm assuming he took his moniker from the still-inexplicably-famous Paris Hilton, but the name "Perez" is actually Biblical (Jesus's great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather (give or take a few greats).
Consider it an Easter egg for Catholics who are going to church tonight, at least those who get the "long form" readings.

Brilliand

Postby Brilliand » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:26 pm UTC

I don't think it actually works this way.

"Christmas eve" means "Christmas evening". A day used to be considered to last from sunset to sunset, so the "eve" of a day would be the nighttime part of that day (which was before the daytime part of that day).

Nowadays, we consider a day to include some of the night after it, so any day that includes part of "Christmas eve" in it is also "Christmas eve". This is a bit of a stretch, but it's commonplace now.

So what is "Christmas eve eve"? It's either "the evening of the evening", which is the same as just one "eve", or it's the whole stretch applied repeatedly (round to the earlier day according to the old timekeeping, then round to the earlier day according to the new timekeeping, over and over)... which is more of a stretch for every step you take.

Tormuse

Postby Tormuse » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:30 pm UTC

Someone once proposed that December 23rd, the day before Christmas Eve, should be called "Christmas Adam."

Because it comes before Eve and is generally unsatisfying. :P
I'm not really that patriotic... really!

Showsni

Postby Showsni » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:59 pm UTC

Brilliand wrote:I don't think it actually works this way.

"Christmas eve" means "Christmas evening". A day used to be considered to last from sunset to sunset, so the "eve" of a day would be the nighttime part of that day (which was before the daytime part of that day).

Nowadays, we consider a day to include some of the night after it, so any day that includes part of "Christmas eve" in it is also "Christmas eve". This is a bit of a stretch, but it's commonplace now.

Yes, I was going to say that. Technically "eve" doesn't mean the day before, but just the evening of the day. So Christmas Eve Eve is just a tautology and doesn't change the day you are referring to.

That said, does anyone know which are the 12 days of Christmas? We know they run from Christmas to Epiphany, or Twelfth Night. So if the first day of Christmas is the day of the 25th (and its preceding night, Christmas Eve, is the first night of Christmas), then it runs up to the 5th of January, and Twelfth Night is the night between the 4th and the 5th. That can't be right. So the first day of Christmas is Boxing Day (and the first night is the night after Christmas Eve, from the 25th to the 26th); and then the twelfth day is the 6th, and Twelfth Night is Epiphany Eve (from the 5th to the 6th). But then Christmas Day isn't part of Christmas? That can't be right either!

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:05 am UTC

According to Bob and Doug, the Twelve Days of Christmas are Christmas, Christmas Eve, New Year's, New Year's Eve, Wrestling Boxing Day, and then there's two Saturdays and Sundays in there which makes nine, and the other three are the Mystery Days.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:16 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:According to Bob and Doug, the Twelve Days of Christmas are Christmas, Christmas Eve, New Year's, New Year's Eve, Wrestling Boxing Day, and then there's two Saturdays and Sundays in there which makes nine, and the other three are the Mystery Days.

As you get Christmas Shoppers on the run-up to Christmas, then it is on the run-up to those last three that we get the fabled Mystery Shoppers, then?

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:12 am UTC

Merry Boxing Day Eve, everyone!

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:28 pm UTC

Showsni wrote: Technically "eve" doesn't mean the day before, but just the evening of the day.

Didn't mean. Once it only meant the evening of the day, but now it also (in certain contexts) means the day before. Because language changes. (Anyone who disagrees is welcome to explain why they no longer write or speak like the author of Beowulf.) So in modern English, Dec. 23 can indeed be described as Christmas Eve Eve. It may be silly, but there are some fairly simple historical reasons for this odd shift in meaning, as mentioned by Brilliand.
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:10 am UTC

xtifr wrote:Anyone who disagrees is welcome to explain why they no longer write or speak like the author of Beowulf.

That's easy: because everyone sucks at English nowadays.

Also, Italy is a country full of people who speak really, really terrible Latin. :D

SalSomer

Postby SalSomer » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:39 am UTC

Well, I don’t know about y’all, but the only language I speak is PIE. I just don’t bother too much with the cases, my pronunciation is a little lax, and I guess I’ve borrowed some words from Semitic and a few other languages along the way.

Reka

Postby Reka » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:44 pm UTC

Showsni wrote:That said, does anyone know which are the 12 days of Christmas? We know they run from Christmas to Epiphany, or Twelfth Night. So if the first day of Christmas is the day of the 25th (and its preceding night, Christmas Eve, is the first night of Christmas), then it runs up to the 5th of January, and Twelfth Night is the night between the 4th and the 5th. That can't be right. So the first day of Christmas is Boxing Day (and the first night is the night after Christmas Eve, from the 25th to the 26th); and then the twelfth day is the 6th, and Twelfth Night is Epiphany Eve (from the 5th to the 6th). But then Christmas Day isn't part of Christmas? That can't be right either!

https://english.stackexchange.com/quest ... anuary-6th

(Good Lord, that was 8 years ago.)

pienapp1e

Postby pienapp1e » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:28 am UTC

Did anybody actually count the number of eves, or is it assumed that there are a set number? Knowing Mr. Munroe's prediliction for completion/correctness/exactitude/thoroughness, I'm positive he put in exactly as many as needed :)

And get outa my head, pfhorrest lol, especially since i heard that song 3x today :D

Merry boxing day too :)

roelst

Postby roelst » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:11 am UTC

Being the bored me, I counted all the eve's. It's a total 364 of them. Feel free to review it, but given the fact that I counted it again to check myself you probably don't have to.

That makes me wonder: why is the second day of last year's Christmas his favorite (ignoring the 25% chance of it being a leap year)? I checked his posts, but there was no comic on the 26th of December 2017.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:30 pm UTC

roelst wrote:Being the bored me, I counted all the eve's. It's a total 364 of them. Feel free to review it, but given the fact that I counted it again to check myself you probably don't have to.

That makes me wonder: why is the second day of last year's Christmas his favorite (ignoring the 25% chance of it being a leap year)? I checked his posts, but there was no comic on the 26th of December 2017.

Because that's the day with the most eves.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

speising

Postby speising » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:41 pm UTC

roelst wrote:Being the bored me, I counted all the eve's. It's a total 364 of them. Feel free to review it, but given the fact that I counted it again to check myself you probably don't have to.

Actually, the day after christmas is the first day of christmas.

offsky

Postby offsky » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:16 pm UTC

Can you believe its almost a year until Christmas and stores already have the decorations up!

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:48 pm UTC

Are eves additive or multiplicative? Would Dec 26th be better written as "Christmas 364*eve" or "Christmas eve364 "?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:34 pm UTC

I'd say the latter, because it's not several eves, it's the eve of (the eve of (the eve of (the eve of (...)))), and exponential notation is usually used for recursive applications of a function.

Compare also great5-grandparents, meaning great-great-great-great-great-grandparents.

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:22 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I'd say the latter, because it's not several eves, it's the eve of (the eve of (the eve of (the eve of (...)))), and exponential notation is usually used for recursive applications of a function.

Compare also great5-grandparents, meaning great-great-great-great-great-grandparents.

Wow. I've never see that expression before (though I have heard someone say "great to the nth"). It really seems to better express the depth/distance of the relationship.
Nothing could be more ill-judged than that intolerant spirit which has, at all times, characterized political parties. - A. Hamilton

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:26 pm UTC

Keyman wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:Compare also great5-grandparents, meaning great-great-great-great-great-grandparents.

Wow. I've never see that expression before (though I have heard someone say "great to the nth"). It really seems to better express the depth/distance of the relationship.

I don't think I've ever seen it written before either, but like you I've heard it spoken, and that's the natural way to write that spoken expression.

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:41 pm UTC

So then logically your great-2 grandfather/grandmother is yourself, and your great-3 grandparents are your kids.

Extrapolating a little farther, your greati grandfather would be your grandparent's sibling. And so on...
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:09 pm UTC

xtifr wrote:Extrapolating a little farther, your greati grandfather would be your grandparent's sibling. And so on...

Now you're just exacerbating the complexity of the topic by imagining things.
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:38 pm UTC

Archgeek wrote:
xtifr wrote:Extrapolating a little farther, your greati grandfather would be your grandparent's sibling. And so on...

It does explain why incest often has a negative result.

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:15 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
Archgeek wrote:

Yeah. That's the reason. :wink:
Nothing could be more ill-judged than that intolerant spirit which has, at all times, characterized political parties. - A. Hamilton

svenman

Postby svenman » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:20 pm UTC

Keyman wrote:
Flumble wrote:
Archgeek wrote:

Yeah. That's the reason. :wink:

So... don't try to be fruitful and multiply with a sibling, I guess?
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

esbboston

Postby esbboston » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:19 pm UTC

December 23rd is Christmas Adam

Raidri

Postby Raidri » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:08 pm UTC

esbboston wrote:December 23rd is Christmas Adam

Someone already made that joke:
Tormuse wrote:Someone once proposed that December 23rd, the day before Christmas Eve, should be called "Christmas Adam."

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:46 pm UTC

I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

NotAllThere

Postby NotAllThere » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:57 pm UTC

Brilliand wrote:I don't think it actually works this way.

I live in continental Europe. The locals celebrate 24th December as their family time and opening presents. We (British) celebrate on the 25th. It works out well as my daughter in law is local, so she, my son and grandson go to her parents on the 24th, and to us on the 25th. :D
yangosplat wrote:So many amazing quotes, so little room in 300 characters!

esbboston

Postby esbboston » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:01 pm UTC

Raidri wrote:

Tormuse wrote:Someone once proposed that December 23rd, the day before Christmas Eve, should be called "Christmas Adam."

I wrote my joke a few decades ago.

esbboston

Postby esbboston » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:09 pm UTC

esbboston wrote:
Raidri wrote:

I wrote my joke a few decades ago.

Out of curiosity I searched my e-mail for Christmas Adam and found a note I sent the pastor of a local church with that in the subject line. It was dated Dec 22nd 2004 at 4:39 AM, and began "Dearest Thor of Sunday Morning Roar" ... I used to do some computer and audio visual work for them.

Brilliand

Postby Brilliand » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:48 pm UTC

xtifr wrote:
Showsni wrote: Technically "eve" doesn't mean the day before, but just the evening of the day.

Didn't mean. Once it only meant the evening of the day, but now it also (in certain contexts) means the day before. Because language changes. (Anyone who disagrees is welcome to explain why they no longer write or speak like the author of Beowulf.) So in modern English, Dec. 23 can indeed be described as Christmas Eve Eve. It may be silly, but there are some fairly simple historical reasons for this odd shift in meaning, as mentioned by Brilliand.

The meaning of "Eve" as "Evening" is still part of modern English, and still makes sense in this situation, so I say the situation hasn't changed for this particular word. It's just that most people don't make the connection.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:47 am UTC

There is a sense in which people say that a given day “is” an event happening at some time on that day, e.g. “today is the big beach party” even if said party is actually only in the two hours following noon. In that sense, December 24th “is” Christmas Eve, even if said eve is actually, like all eves, only in the later hours of the day.

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:36 pm UTC

Brilliand wrote:
xtifr wrote:

The meaning of "Eve" as "Evening" is still part of modern English, and still makes sense in this situation, so I say the situation hasn't changed for this particular word. It's just that most people don't make the connection.

Words in English can and do have multiple meanings, so saying that "eve" can still have its traditional meaning does not mean it doesn't have its new meaning(s). In fact, "eve" is not limited to the day before--it can refer to an arbitrary period of time before something, as in the common phrase "the eve of war", which can refer to months or perhaps even years.

This is why I wrote "in certain contexts". "Eve" does still mean "the evening of the day" in other contexts, but to say (as Showsni did) that it doesn't mean the day before is quite simply wrong.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”