2093: "Reminders"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

GlassHouses

2093: "Reminders"

Postby GlassHouses » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:11 pm UTC

Title text: The good news is that if the number of work and friend relationships you have exceeds your willingness to do the bare minimum to keep up with everyone's life events and stuff, one way or another that problem eventually solves itself.

The birthday thing was solved ages ago. I still know people who have birthday calendars in their bathrooms. All it takes is one glance whenever you're sitting down to do your business, and you'll be reminded of all upcoming birthdays. Are these things going out of style? I have to admit I don't have one myself...

rmsgrey

Re: 2093: "Reminders"

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:20 pm UTC

Another way of looking at it is that we're offloading more of our routine cognition onto devices - people have used paper as an external memory for centuries, and various other reminders and records for even longer.

This way, we have more mental capacity for the important stuff - like remembering the names of every Gen I Pokemon...

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:05 pm UTC

Too soon to reference "Feeling of Power," by Asimov?
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:23 pm UTC

GlassHouses wrote:The birthday thing was solved ages ago. I still know people who have birthday calendars in their bathrooms. All it takes is one glance whenever you're sitting down to do your business, and you'll be reminded of all upcoming birthdays. Are these things going out of style? I have to admit I don't have one myself...

We have a wall calendar...in the kitchen not bathroom. My wife has all the "important" dates with the relevant individual(s) and which celebration marked in red. She includes how old the individual will be and/or which anniversary of what event. They are religiously transferred to the next year's calendar in the November time frame, with the numbers advanced appropriately (though deaths and divorces are not moved).

So, in answer to your question... given that everybody who sees it says "don't you do that on your phone?" Yes. They are going out of style. ;)
Nothing could be more ill-judged than that intolerant spirit which has, at all times, characterized political parties. - A. Hamilton

speising

Postby speising » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:29 pm UTC

Keyman wrote:She includes how old the individual will be and/or which anniversary of what event. They are religiously transferred to the next year's calendar in the November time frame, with the numbers advanced appropriately (though deaths and divorces are not moved).

mindless repetitive tasks like this are exactly why we invented computers.

Old Bruce

Postby Old Bruce » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:52 pm UTC

speising wrote:
Keyman wrote:She includes how old the individual will be and/or which anniversary of what event. They are religiously transferred to the next year's calendar in the November time frame, with the numbers advanced appropriately (though deaths and divorces are not moved).

mindless repetitive tasks like this are exactly why we invented computers.

Or it is a cherished annual ritual.

qvxb

Postby qvxb » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:48 am UTC

If people require so much effort, they're not worth having as friends.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:08 am UTC

qvxb wrote:If people require so much effort, they're not worth having as friends.
What is a friend if not someone for whom you're willing to put out some effort?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

GlassHouses

Postby GlassHouses » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:35 am UTC

Keyman wrote:
GlassHouses wrote:The birthday thing was solved ages ago. I still know people who have birthday calendars in their bathrooms. All it takes is one glance whenever you're sitting down to do your business, and you'll be reminded of all upcoming birthdays. Are these things going out of style? I have to admit I don't have one myself...

We have a wall calendar...in the kitchen not bathroom. My wife has all the "important" dates with the relevant individual(s) and which celebration marked in red. She includes how old the individual will be and/or which anniversary of what event. They are religiously transferred to the next year's calendar in the November time frame, with the numbers advanced appropriately (though deaths and divorces are not moved).

So, in answer to your question... given that everybody who sees it says "don't you do that on your phone?" Yes. They are going out of style. ;)

I meant perpetual calendars, the kind that don't show weekdays and always include February 29th. For each individual, you write their name and year of birth in the square representing their date of birth. No need for any annual copying ritual, but you do have to figure out their howmanyeth birthday it will be each time by subtracting their year of birth from the current one.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:40 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Too soon to reference "Feeling of Power," by Asimov?

You will be told when it is time to mention it, by the appropriate App!

(And I have a circa2004 wall-calendar that I have since then used effectively as a perpetual calendar - even while getting contemporaneous ones, for the pictures alone - I just have to do mental arithmetic on the ages/annualities so noted (including SpaceShipOne's proving and qualifying flight dates, which were noted as events of that year, and so I've occasionally sent anniversary cards to Scaled Composites!) to bring them up to current counting. Though I know I've been remiss in adding the birthdates of four cousins' (twice removed/my father's great²-nephews) birthdays, which would have had to have been noted as negative for that year, with the oldest still only being 10.)

redbird71

Postby redbird71 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:54 am UTC

GlassHouses wrote:Title text: The good news is that if the number of work and friend relationships you have exceeds your willingness to do the bare minimum to keep up with everyone's life events and stuff, one way or another that problem eventually solves itself.

Yes but if you allow this "natural" development you might end up staying friends only with the people that are specifically noisy about when their birthday etc is ...

For me - Google Calendar does a fine job of reminding you important anniversaries. Even some of my own ...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”